739 replies to this topic

#1 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Attended the Can One Skipper's Meeting last night at Huguenot Yacht Club. Must have been close to fifty folks in attendance.
Primary topic of the evening was the acquisition of a 31' Carver as the official Race Committee boat. In years past (Can One E.R.A. has been around for decades) the participants took turns using a member's boat as the RC and more recently some of the power boat members of Huguenot Yacht Club have graciously offered their boats as RC (Such as a classic 50'+ Trumpy named Rusty Sue). The new RC boat will be appropriately name The Executioner with PRO Billy Padin running the races again this season. In all there are 17 races with a mid series Crew Race. You must compete in 8 races to qualify for the series trophies. Scoring is based on Cox-Sprague Scoring System. First gun is at 1900 hours. There are four divisions (or more if warranted), two are JAM and two are Spinnaker. Competition is at a fairly high level, nothing to stressful (haha) but certainly more competitive than the majority, if not all the other beer can series in WLIS. In particular the larger spinnaker boats have a healthy range of competitors that have proven themselves in YRA events including several J-122's, a Swan 45, J-130, a couple of Express 37s, A Soveral 33, a couple of First 36.7's, J-105's, J-80's etc. and as I understand it a Farr 400 and a custom Goetz 40 will join us this season.
I would be remiss not to mention that Shooting Star owned by SA's BTBOTFA has won that tough spinnaker division the last three seasons with a number of SAers onboard her (Digital Crush, Dacapo, Bit Pitch, T.I.M. and several who prefer to remain anonymous), as well as those sailing on other boats like HBomb, Egon, Left Hook, InNeedofSomeRestraint, Gina, Moondance44, Assman, LongIslandSailorKid, Mr.Clean'sMother, BillHines, some suspect SnaggleTooth, and/or anonymous who prefer to remain several.
After racing many crews head over to Huguenot Yacht Club for food and drink, to discuss the evenings racing, and to cheer on those who are picking up their evening's plunder.
Can One is a great way to unwind mid-week, get a fix for the jones or to practice for the weekend races. They have a website at Can One Evening Race Association as well as Yacht Scoring Can One . Can One also encourages guest boats to come out for a sail and join up if you like the format and racing.
See ya out there!

#2 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

Even though racing against The Shadow is like chasing a cat through a crawlspace it's usually a pretty good time. Even though races are run in the ass end of WLIS there's usually enough breeze to start and/or finish races and races are always tactical in the extreme with major current gradients across the course and shifts to win and lose off of. Competition in the A division is fierce and looks to only improve this season.

Can't wait. I'll see you out there on M this season J.

#3 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

I really only come down there one night per year to crew with Left Hook to whoop your ass.
Left Hook - believe the Shadow was chasing us that night even owing us time. Plus we had the
handicap of having you onboard. It was embarrassing. (said with an espo inflection)
It's become a nice tradition.

The new Sundari should be interesting.

#4 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Well we had a choice, cover Soulmates who we were in contention for the series with, or cover you guys.

#5 Drewbius

Drewbius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Sailing(???)

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'll be joining in the fun at least a good part of the season. Very excited.

#6 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,538 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Well we had a choice, cover Soulmates who we were in contention for the series with, or cover you guys.

Dide youse youre Expo voise on thiss parte?? :)

#7 bheintz

bheintz

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Competition is certainly more competitive than the majority, if not all the other beer can series in WLIS.
Can One is a great way to practice for the weekend races.

Best racing of WLIS is debatable, surely a statement by someone who has infrequently raced evenings anyplace else.

EBYRA for example, with all it's faults, consistently had better courses if "practice for the weekend races" is your goal.

One thing that CanOne and EBYRA both can vie for top honors on is the concept that the opinions and ideas of the Board are far superior than those of the competitors.

#8 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Probably not, because our boat beat Soulmates for the series.
So they were not covering us, but a boat further down in the standings. ;)

But congrats are due, they did beat both of us for the series. and if they
gave trophies for the bottom 1/2 of the fleet all 3 of us would be cleaning silver now.

#9 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

I think you are a bit confused Cliffie. Maudeline never finishes in the top of this series. IIRC it was SS, then Q then SM. One would have to be crazy to cover M over SM in any event. But that is yesterday's news and a new season is upon us.

#10 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Oft coarse!!

#11 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Competition is certainly more competitive than the majority, if not all the other beer can series in WLIS.
Can One is a great way to practice for the weekend races.

Best racing of WLIS is debatable, surely a statement by someone who has infrequently raced evenings anyplace else.

EBYRA for example, with all it's faults, consistently had better courses if "practice for the weekend races" is your goal.

One thing that CanOne and EBYRA both can vie for top honors on is the concept that the opinions and ideas of the Board are far superior than those of the competitors.

Having sailed in both pretty steadily for the past 5 years and/or more, I would be inclined to disagree with you about EBYRA v. Can One Bill.
One good example of this would be the level of competition. While Soulmates, Christopher Dragon, Sundari, Shooting Star, Deviation and others have demonstrated regular success in other venues, you don't get that with the folks in Eastchester Bay with any regularity. Sure Thin Man does well and Eagle seems to hold her own on some distance races, Chiaka has flirted with successful seasons, but no where near the extent of the boats in Can One.

And don't call me Shirley!

#12 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

I think you are a bit confused Cliffie. Maudeline never finishes in the top of this series. IIRC it was SS, then Q then SM. One would have to be crazy to cover M over SM in any event. But that is yesterday's news and a new season is upon us.

real men race phrf

#13 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

We tried dual scoring under PHRF and IRC a few seasons back. It was difficult to accomplish for a number of reason, the least of which is coming up with ratings for some boats under IRC. You may also note that some of the larger venue races that had drifted away form PHRF in favor of IRC for some of the faster classes, have now reinstated PHRF. While PHRF has some flaws, it has served the racing community well over the past 3 or more decades. Is there another handicap rule which has enjoyed such success in the US?

#14 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

We tried dual scoring under PHRF and IRC a few seasons back. It was difficult to accomplish for a number of reason, the least of which is coming up with ratings for some boats under IRC. You may also note that some of the larger venue races that had drifted away form PHRF in favor of IRC for some of the faster classes, have now reinstated PHRF. While PHRF has some flaws, it has served the racing community well over the past 3 or more decades. Is there another handicap rule which has enjoyed such success in the US?

I said it long ago. Excluding phrf would kill participation for many reasons. Plus newbies dipping their toes into racing one year in phrf are likely to come back the next year in IRC. Some experienced racers only want to come out 2-3 x per year and dont like the IRC cost commitments. They had no other option but to stay home. I;m for having as many people as possible on the water The masters of the universe didnt care about them because it was pre Lehman Brothers and everyone was happy paying $1200 to have a boat weighed by some pirate with a Travelift. There's a place for phrf just like the short bus courses on distance races. Just have to keep their names off the big trophies.

#15 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:Recursion, acronyms, and recursive acronyms.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Looking forward to the 2012 Can One season and version 2.0 of Soulmates.

--Matt

#16 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

--Matt

What kind of boat did Adam end up getting?

#17 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:Recursion, acronyms, and recursive acronyms.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

--Matt

Rodger Martin/Goetz 40

--Matt

#18 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

--Matt

Rodger Martin/Goetz 40

--Matt

Katie G?

#19 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Did Wes buy Soulmates?

(I heard a shitload of Pokemon cards just came on the market)

#20 bheintz

bheintz

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

[Hustler had] successful seasons, but no where near the extent of the boats in Can One.

When we race at EBRYA we generally sail against other boats our size. However things have changed at EBYRA, I accept that I am wrong and acknowledge your greater knowledge in this matter.

We look forward to practicing the ever popular one-tack / one-jybe / reach to the finish races, the trendy and entertaining situation of sending different classes to round the same weather mark in opposite directions, and who would want to miss a race being cancelled because the finish line was only 2 boat lengths long and resulted in a collision.

#21 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Did Wes buy Soulmates?

(I heard a shitload of Pokemon cards just came on the market)

I'm saving my pokemon cards to buy myself a tp52. At the rate things are going the collection will be big enough by about the time that they'll be giving boats away. It is however exciting to be with soulmates in her next life. A very good bunch of people who have been very kind to me in the past are going to be involved.

#22 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,538 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

We look forward to practicing the ever popular one-tack / one-jybe / reach to the finish races, the trendy and entertaining situation of sending different classes to round the same weather mark in opposite directions, and who would want to miss a race being cancelled because the finish line was only 2 boat lengths long and resulted in a collision.

Theise our toufhe feetes to puolloffe on sevarle levells, fiste foure the RC to proplley singale it, then the exciutiones bye competores. When you misstimede the O-T & O-G you oute of itt. Opposseng rondings is alnayes challaingeng and fiun. :) The shorte line wase a equippmente failiure, and when comes to colliones......saiftey is paramonte! If cancelle raice is thinge to do, it gerts done. I looke fowarde to continiuede successe of the seriese. :) Goode Lucke to alle!

:)

#23 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Theise our toufhe feetes to puolloffe on sevarle levells, fiste foure the RC to proplley singale it, then the exciutiones bye competores. When you misstimede the O-T & O-G you oute of itt. Opposseng rondings is alnayes challaingeng and fiun. :) The shorte line wase a equippmente failiure, and when comes to colliones......saiftey is paramonte! If cancelle raice is thinge to do, it gerts done. I looke fowarde to continiuede successe of the seriese. :) Goode Lucke to alle!

My head hurts.

Anything longer than 12 words with Snaggy and the effort isn't worth the payoff. Kind of like waiting for dawoody or Mr Clean to put a thought together. Skip it and wait for the next one.

#24 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Always an excuse for losing, nothing ever changes, does it? ;)

#25 FOOKINWAVE

FOOKINWAVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Plugged in Les Pual unplugged Taylor
    Design construction international shipping!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

Can One is better than breakwaters for the simple fact that what ever course they may send you on, there is more options to dodge current with the surounding under water structure.

#26 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

[Hustler had] successful seasons, but no where near the extent of the boats in Can One.

When we race at EBRYA we generally sail against other boats our size. However things have changed at EBYRA, I accept that I am wrong and acknowledge your greater knowledge in this matter.

Bill, Hustler doesn't race EBYRA Wednesday Night Series. Fantasy Girl well demonstrates what I was pointing out. You have The Pope and Espo on the boat and they have it wrapped up shortly after mid-season and then they stop sailing! Also, besides EBYRA, what races or series has Fantasy made a mark on?
Many of the rare situations you note have been or are being addressed. I am sure Bill P. commanding C1's own RC boat will go a long way to fixing line issues where when you were on a loaned boat and the owner had a huge say. BP also took it upon himself to do some USSA PRO courses, which we all applaud him for. It is hard to find a person who actually races to be PRO and we are very lucky to have Bill P. onboard. We have also worked out a drop mark that will be experimented with this season. I am confident that will show promise and can be expanded once we get the hang of it. Shame you didn't make the meeting to represent the big D.
And yes, EBYRA has changed quite a bit since you folks used to take Deviation over there each week.

#27 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Geeze you are __________________.
How small must your penis be?
Who would you cover in a 16 race series, the guy who is likely to come in 5th or the guy who is your closest competition?

#28 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

--Matt

Rodger Martin/Goetz 40

--Matt

Katie G?

Indeed. They are awaiting a sea trial to finalize. IIRC, Adam is going up there this weekend to help Eric assemble the rig.
The Express was bought by a group of guys at Cedar Point. Some of the old crew got together 10 days or so ago to de-name her. Adam seemed very happy to be turning the page, while Jenni-Jenni was melancholy.

#29 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Bill, Hustler doesn't race EBYRA Wednesday Night Series. Fantasy Girl well demonstrates what I was pointing out. You have The Pope and Espo on the boat and they have it wrapped up shortly after mid-season and then they stop sailing! Also, besides EBYRA, what races or series has Fantasy made a mark on?
Many of the rare situations you note have been or are being addressed. I am sure Bill P. commanding C1's own RC boat will go a long way to fixing line issues where when you were on a loaned boat and the owner had a huge say. BP also took it upon himself to do some USSA PRO courses, which we all applaud him for. It is hard to find a person who actually races to be PRO and we are very lucky to have Bill P. onboard. We have also worked out a drop mark that will be experimented with this season. I am confident that will show promise and can be expanded once we get the hang of it. Shame you didn't make the meeting to represent the big D.
And yes, EBYRA has changed quite a bit since you folks used to take Deviation over there each week.

I would have to agree with you Jeff, { I can't believe I just said that} Can 1 has become a better event. EBYRA has been micro managed by it's board and the reps from one of the clubs, the one I am not a memeber of anymore and has let there commadore that club dictate there voting. When ever you get guys from the board making divisions for themselves and others asking to be in a division that they should not be in the organization is doomed. Can 1 over the years have been VERY well run and have pulled the right strings at the right time. If they would just square up the race course as Bill has mentioned, it would be THE best mid night series from the Western end of KIS to Newport. I hope by getting on the EBYRA board as a rep for Moriss Y&B I can get that orgaization reputation up to where Can 1 is now.

#30 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Who would you cover in a 16 race series, the guy who is likely to come in 5th or the guy who is your closest competition?

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=481

#31 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

The problem with that Cliffie is a couple of those boats didn't sail enough races to qualify, DNSs are not entered, the throw-outs are not applied and YS doesn't publish the places based on Cox Sprague. Aside from that, I can see why you think M may have done better than the podium boats.
What that does show is how tight the racing is. Half the fleet got a bullet in at least one of the races with the top 4 or 5 having multiple wins. Of course no one won more races that Cain.

#32 bheintz

bheintz

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Looking forward to this season, I'm sure the PRO will do his best.

Posted Image
We have some Green Fleet drop marks if you need some to experiment with.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=481

I had forgot we got 12th last year, how mortifying.

#33 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Bill, is that your apartment?
Whose orange cylinders are those? I know Adam is looking for two for C1.

#34 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,538 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

If Espo dies, do you think he would get a pinned thread and a front page mention?

wowe...weare dide thate come frome?

Ist he okaye???

#35 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

I miss Can One. Used to sail a Ranger 33 then a Tartan 38 there for years. "Impromptu" resides at Sag Harbor YC these days Pretty good fun Thursday nights out in Shelter Island Sound though. Can't remember canceling racing for lack of breeze out here. That's one thing I don't miss about WLIS.

#36 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

If Espo dies, do you think he would get a pinned thread and a front page mention?

wowe...weare dide thate come frome?

Ist he okaye???

You never know when some other wanna-be wiseguy is gonna whack him Snaggy.

#37 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Sundari is now a Farr400?? what's gonna happen when a Bene 36.7 beats a new Farr400?? B). Maybe Q will still sail even if they can;t win a pickle dish and hopefully Chris Dragon will be a weekly thing..Breakadouche is for sale...bummer, it is fun kicking their ass each week
We all know a C&C 35 is going to win their division again...after 8 races...but will STILL go out there and sail all season...will Milkey Way ever figure out how to get back into her slip before the party is over at Huegonot ;)

are the fleet splits the same as last year??

there are three U's in SHUT THE FUCK UP :P

edit....that was a bit douchy...sorry everybody, I'm a bit cranky today (breathing in too much bottom paint dust)

#38 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

I hear you are the new driver on Shooting Star. Do us proud.

#39 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

What happened to you?

#40 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

What happened to you?

WONT BE AS MUCH FUN COMING DOWN THERE AND BEATING the Star without JT on board :(

#41 imakebadjokes

imakebadjokes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Faster Than You

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

I have sailed in both Can One and EBYRA in the last couple years and Can One is the better of the two.
In Can One, the amount of participants on the line are higher as well as the skill level of the competition.
The series are more challenging because of the wider range courses.
In EBYRA it gets old quickly. You head to the Throggs Neck Bridge to get current relief and come back.
There also seems to be camaraderie at Huguenot Yact Club after the race then Morris or Harlem Yacht Club. I don't know too much about the food.

#42 bheintz

bheintz

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Sundari is now a Farr400?? what's gonna happen when a Bene 36.7 beats a new Farr400??

I wonder if the Bene 36.7 is any slower with a rating of 90 than it was with a rating of 78?

#43 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

Sundari is now a Farr400?? what's gonna happen when a Bene 36.7 beats a new Farr400??

Um.....nothing. We are out there for fun. It's beer can racing for fucks sake.

#44 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Looking forward to seeing the Farr out there. She's a fine boat. What has become the the old Sundari??

#45 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Looking forward to seeing the Farr out there. She's a fine boat. What has become the the old Sundari??

Looking forward to it too. The old boat was sold. She is staying local though, Riverside YC I think. Not sure if she will be raced though.

#46 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

I wonder if the Bene 36.7 is any slower with a rating of 90 than it was with a rating of 78?

In light air with 140% jibs? Yes it is. You notice it most between 7 and 10 knots or when power reaching.
Both 36.7s also take a crew weight credit on their PHRF certs.
PHRF 78? The base was 84 IIRC. The boat can sail at that in a breeze for the most part. Because of the amount of rocker aft the boat doesn't get up and go. Rather it tries to suck back down into its own hole. It is why some refer to the boat as a beachball. By a breeze I mean 16+ knots. In 12-15 it depends on the course, the small spinnakers do not drive the boat very well. In less than 10 knots, 84 is a hard rating as the boat doesn't sail well or point in light air.

What do you think a Soveral 33 should rate Bill? Talk about a license to steal in light air. Between you and some Express 37 owners complaining about ratings.............pot calling kettle.

Lee you are right, it is only a beer can series. That doesn't mean anyone is going to let you guys barge.

#47 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

What happened to you?

WONT BE AS MUCH FUN COMING DOWN THERE AND BEATING the Star without JT on board :(

I'll be driving Maudalyne. Her rating is sweet.

#48 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,538 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Lee you are right, it is only a beer can series. That doesn't mean anyone is going to let you guys barge.

Please bee cairefulle heare........ :)

#49 bheintz

bheintz

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

what's gonna happen when a Bene 36.7 beats a new Farr400??

What do you think a Soveral 33 should rate Bill? Talk about a license to steal in light air. Between you and some Express 37 owners complaining about ratings.............pot calling kettle.

Justify it how you like, I din' say we gonna beat the Farr400 boat for boat.

#50 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

What happened to you?

I'll be driving Maudalyne. Her rating is sweet.

I'll believe that when I see it.

#51 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

I don't think anyone suggested that.

#52 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Though if we did there would be extra scotch for everyone.

#53 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Though if we did there would be extra scotch for everyone.

Absolutely, the rum rations would definitely be increased-and the driver would get an extra pat on the head...

#54 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

It's good to have goals in life.

#55 bheintz

bheintz

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

are the fleet splits the same as last year??

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=606

Non-Spin slower than 150 and Non-Spin faster than 150 be funny if a boat rated 150

Spin 96 and slower and Spin 96 and faster apparently J105's have the option of being in either class this year :rolleyes:

#56 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Love to know wich dorags is?

#57 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Oh for shit's sake, this lover's spat isn't going to spill over into every other thread like that ridiculous Occupy Anarchy crap is it?

#58 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Oh for shit's sake, this lover's spat isn't going to spill over into every other thread like that ridiculous Occupy Anarchy crap is it?

Because the usual WLIS banter is soooooo thought provoking and inspiring.

#59 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Damn right it is, "there's no wind, there's too much wind, the ratings are crap, the RC is crap, why didn't my mother hug me more EBYRA is crap, all 105s should sink, there's only one keg on the lawn, etc."

How can you not love these conversations?

#60 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

Damn right it is, "there's no wind, there's too much wind, the ratings are crap, the RC is crap, why didn't my mother hug me more EBYRA is crap, all 105s should sink, there's only one keg on the lawn, etc."

dont forget espo is a dick, j29's rule, and keel shoes....

#61 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Oh, but it seems the conversations are taking a different turn by those 'who know'..

Popcorn ready..

#62 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

dont forget espo is a dick, j29's rule, and keel shoes....

Damnit, I knew I was forgetting some

#63 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,538 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

OA wase coole.......

#64 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

OA wase coole.......

It's hard to see the forest from the trees

#65 bheintz

bheintz

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Sailing Instructions posted (aka Can One 2012 Yearbook & Race Circular)

Please note the text in ALL CAPS and bold face which maybe more important than other instructions.

"Members are urged [among other things] to become familiar with the Racing Rules"

"protests are discouraged except in the event of serious violations" - see page 7 (or 8) for clarification on that I suppose.

Tradition is OK, but it would help to give even a brief glance at .pdf"]RRS 2009-2012 Appendix J and Appendix L before publishing the Sailing Instructions for a regatta with ostensible "Competition at a fairly high level."

#66 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Sailing Instructions posted (aka Can One 2012 Yearbook & Race Circular)

Please note the text in ALL CAPS and bold face which maybe more important than other instructions.

"Members are urged [among other things] to become familiar with the Racing Rules"

"protests are discouraged except in the event of serious violations" - see page 7 (or 8) for clarification on that I suppose.

Tradition is OK, but it would help to give even a brief glance at .pdf"]RRS 2009-2012 Appendix J and Appendix L before publishing the Sailing Instructions for a regatta with ostensible "Competition at a fairly high level."

Bill

There is always EBYRA on Wed, we would love to have you back! ;)

#67 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

and so it begins..................

#68 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hell of a first race, though it was a shame attendance was a bit weak in a few divisions.

We saw one puff get to 32kts on the beat to the finish and when the scores were FINALLY posted, it was awesome to see Shooting Star on top.

The 3U campaign has begun.

#69 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hell of a first race, though it was a shame attendance was a bit weak in a few divisions.

We saw one puff get to 32kts on the beat to the finish and when the scores were FINALLY posted, it was awesome to see Shooting Star on top.

32 Knots??
Are you one of the wingnuts that also so 30 kts the first week of AYC. If you are get new wind instruments ;)

#70 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

32 Knots??
Are you one of the wingnuts that also so 30 kts the first week of AYC. If you are get new wind instruments ;)

The boat he was on does have Raycrap instruments so it was probably only blowing 8.

#71 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

32 Knots??

The boat he was on does have Raycrap instruments so it was probably only blowing 8.

If LeftHook shit his pants, it was def 30knots. If not the instruments are wrong ;)

Thankfully I was nowhere near the trainwreck that was their thursday night ;)

#72 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Train wreck...no fuckin train wreck...once the locomotive got rolling there was no stopping us....shit even the bridge couldn't stop us...

#73 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

32 Knots??

If LeftHook shit his pants, it was def 30knots. If not the instruments are wrong ;)

Thankfully I was nowhere near the trainwreck that was their thursday night ;)

see.. i was nice and deleted that

#74 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

And I didn't even have to call you to tell you to knock it off.

There's hope for our relationship yet...

#75 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,538 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

And I didn't even have to call you to tell aske you to knock it off.

roude boye..... :)

#76 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

And I didn't even have to call you to tell you to knock it off.

Reverend Buster introduced me to this new church

I will add you to my prayer list

Movement of Spiritual Inner Awareness
http://www.msia.org/

#77 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

hey, I think I know why racing participation is down on LIS.

NOR of the Edlu Race

2.2 The Entry Fee is $100.00

I shit you not! 100 bucks!
Does it come with a happy ending?

#78 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

NOR of the Edlu Race

Get back to us on that one..

#79 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

32 Knots??

You can be skeptical all you like but shit, I didn't see you out there. For the most part it was blowing between 18-22.

#80 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

32 Knots??

You can be skeptical all you like but shit, I didn't see you out there. For the most part it was blowing between 18-22.

I didnt see anything under 20 the whole race.

#81 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

NOR of the Edlu Race

Get back to us on that one..

$100 for a day race? That deserves a Moosehead all on it's own.
Like the $13 IHYC bag of ice.
(feeling cheap today)

#82 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,538 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

I thouht the Ed;u was a oveenite raice..... :)

#83 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Back in the old days - 32 miles now starts at 1000

#84 SW Dropout

SW Dropout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Interests:fast boats, fast women

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Compare Edlu to NYACYC Stratford Shoal Race the following week -- both are "day distance races" that start early, are longer than the average race in the Sound but end by dinner if the breeze isn't terrible.

Edlu = $100, 46 boats signed up.
NYACYC = $50, 14 boats signed up.

The two are not directly related, but it doesn't appear as though the entry fee is a deterrent. If the entry fee was $50 would there be a lot more entries for the Edlu? Unclear. Maybe one more in your case, but I'm guessing you'd spend a lot more than $100 in food / fuel / beer for the race. People like to beat up YCs for entry fees, but when you look at the overall cost of putting the boat on the line for any given day, it's a fraction of what's involved.

#85 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

Compare Edlu to NYACYC Stratford Shoal Race the following week -- both are "day distance races" that start early, are longer than the average race in the Sound but end by dinner if the breeze isn't terrible.

Edlu = $100, 46 boats signed up.

The two are not directly related, but it doesn't appear as though the entry fee is a deterrent. If the entry fee was $50 would there be a lot more entries for the Edlu? Unclear. Maybe one more in your case, but I'm guessing you'd spend a lot more than $100 in food / fuel / beer for the race. People like to beat up YCs for entry fees, but when you look at the overall cost of putting the boat on the line for any given day, it's a fraction of what's involved.

i dont know. edlu is always a bigger more serious race than nyac and you have another week to go for nyac. I doubt $4600 is a fraction of what it costs to run a 32 mile distance race. I get it. its an expensive sport. Tell me what the average 1 day regatta entry fee is? $100 is taking the piss.

#86 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

NYAC's yacht club is almost an afterthought at this point-lots of power boats over there and the only guy I know who represents the club well in competition now is Lenny on Vamp, and he doesn't keep his boat there. That's not to say that once upon a time there were great sailors there but now, not so much. Larchmont's race is obviously reflecting the club's competitive heritage and active racing sailors in its membership and ties right into the Storm Trysail's Block Island race with the Tuna Trophy for best combined score.

#87 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

NYAC's yacht club is almost an afterthought at this point-lots of power boats over there and the only guy I know who represents the club well in competition now is Lenny on Vamp, and he doesn't keep his boat there. That's not to say that once upon a time there were great sailors there but now, not so much. Larchmont's race is obviously reflecting the club's competitive heritage and active racing sailors in its membership and ties right into the Storm Trysail's Block Island race with the Tuna Trophy for best combined score.

spoken like a true YRALIS RC ;)

#88 MikeR

MikeR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts
  • Interests:Own a Pearson 10M

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

Does anyone remember 'Sitzmark'?

Cheers,

MikeR

#89 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,538 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

Cheers,

MikeR

Is ent that teh shallowe pann foure niew moms to warshe theire loiwere reegiones? :)

#90 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,980 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

I thought you weren't doing competitive racing anymore Snags?

#91 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

NYACYC is also on the same weekend as the Race for the Case regatta in Lloyd Harbor PLUS it's the weekend before Around Block which is a detriment because:

• It's tough for people to take two simultaneous weekends off from family duties.
  • Those boats prepping for Bermuda using the Edlu as a practice/tuneup event and need to do more work on the boat afterwards will do it the weekend of the 19th so the mods are done for Around BI.
  • It's a big weekend for college graduations
Plus it's a smaller event and always has been. Don't read too much into the effect of entry fees.

#92 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

Cheers,

MikeR

Ask LH - he knows!

#93 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

Cheers,

MikeR

Ask LH - he knows!

I am not familiar with the boat.

#94 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,538 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

I no, I no, I mabey sayed this, but R4TC scarred ne laste teare. Ille be backe thisse yere! :)

#95 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

Cheers,

MikeR

Ask LH - he knows!

I am not familiar with the boat.

shhhhhh! google it and make believe you are!

from a vineyard buzzard
I started my Vineyard Race adventure in 1972 aboard the Sitzmark a McCurdy & Rhodes sloop owned by Dr. Walter Neumann. “Doc” was a fierce competitor. He was of German background and was a big skier back in his day hence the name of the boat. When I became a crew member he was in his seventies but wanted to win more than most people half his age. Paul Fitzgerald an ex Navy officer was the navigator and ran the boat. We sailed out of the New York Athletic Club. I raced with Doc extensively for three years and competed in three Vineyard Races. He had some very interesting traits. All the plates, bowels, and cups were numbered on the boat and at the start of each race Doc would post on the bulkhead a crew list with numbers assigned. The crew he thought had performed the best in the previous race would be given a low number which would correspond to the eating arrangements. If you got too many high numbers you would no longer be on the crew. When the crew performed well in a race Doc would celebrate by breaking out rum and Entenmanns coffee cake, he took great pleasure in giving you a small slice of cake and a half a cup of rum. If the race did not go to his liking there was no celebration and everyone was sent home with an empty stomach. He was frugal in some areas but in others he went over the top. He wanted to win and spent a fortune trying to improve the performance of Sitzmark. One year he extended the transom and covered the boat bottom with a special bubble coating in an attempt to improve performance. Paul Fitzgerald was Doc’s man and both of them smoked. Doc would break out a cigar after dinner but Paul being an ex Navy man chained smoked camel cigarettes and drank black coffee constantly. I still have vivid images of lying in a bunk opposite the navigation station while we were pounding thru the Race on our way to the tower watching Paul sip black coffee and fill the cabin with smoke from his ever present cigarette.

#96 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

I no, I no, I mabey sayed this, but R4TC scarred ne laste teare. Ille be backe thisse yere! :)

Tell that Goomba not to hit the committee boat this year.

#97 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

shhhhhh! google it and make believe you are!

I only do that most of the time.

#98 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,980 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:11 AM

OK kool - glad to heer it Snaggs. Eyed b vary sadde if u wudn't b awn the wuter aneemor.

u no wair to feynd me.

#99 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

NYYC = The peoples club!
5.1 Around-the-Island Race - There is no entry fee for the Around-the-Island Race on Friday, June 8.

#100 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

At the current pace, it just might be.

Nahh.. Beautiful day on the water, even if it cost $3/mile. Started a bit slow but
a sweet day.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_detail.cfm?Race_Number=1&eID=584

Look how Moulie crushed the fleet in his Custom Schumacher 37! Ker - schmer!

Nice job shooting star (bthotha) and ThinMan

And congrats to maudelayne who was loaded up with Rock Stars.

i thought this was odd.

One NonSpin competitor (sloop) telling another (Yawl) on the vhf after the start that if he flew a staysil downwind to the mark YRALIS non spin rules stated he HAD to sail in the same configuratiion and fly it upwind on the way home as well. I guess even if it was blowin 40 knots on the nose. :blink:

Snags....Itz Twoo Itz Twoo!

YRALIS REGSs
2. The intent of Non-Spinnaker racing is that boats sail off the wind with the same sails they use to sail on the wind. Therefore, ketches and yawls may not fly staysails off the wind unless such sails are used when sailing upwind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users