208 replies to this topic

#1 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

There are just 94 days till the first start of this year's Pacific Cup. We are in it double-handed aboard our fine racing machine Temerity. What other Anarchists are in? What boat? Are you skipper or crew?

As I sit today, my big issues in prep are the electrical/battery/charging system, getting another headsail or two, and what I am doing to get the boat home. I still don't have a 'yes' about taking the time off work to do the delivery myself. The other two options are pretty damn expensive. This was the reason I bailed out early from my prep on the last go-around.

On the other hand, I have the custom embroidered Aloha crew shirts on hand, and am pretty well decided on the stocking of the spirits locker. And I have the best crew in the world!

I'm thinking to provide a bottle of rum of suitable quality to the Anarchist boat first on corrected. If some others can kick in we could have bottles for first corrected crewed, first corrected DH, and maybe barn door.

OK let's hear it. What are your issues, how is it going, etc. etc.

#2 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

You can ogle the fine racing yachts VALIS and Great White (a Great Dane and a whippet) at the dock at the boat show this weekend.

More here: http://forums.sailin...howtopic=133795

I was lucky enough to crew aboard VALIS in the last race, she is a very beautiful and well sorted vessel.

#3 dog of war

dog of war

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:sailing fast

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'm still trying to work out if I can make it this year...........................this would be # 6 but it's looking like work might be an issue :(

#4 kidkodine

kidkodine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Water
    Sailing
    Neruo-
    pharmacology
    Nootropics
    Epsom salt
    Old BMW, and Diesel Benzez
    Wet plate photography
    Text based web sites
    crush on elle...

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

I have a question. After all the fun of the race and party - Whats the usual story about reality setting in and having to return to the mainland?

Same crew?
Different Crew?
Oh fuck, leave the boat in the marina for a while?

#5 dog of war

dog of war

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

The 3 races on the X-119 there was a delivery crew to sail the boat home and the years I did it on the SC27 and O29 we shipped them home. Size matters!!! The boat I would like to do it on this year the skipper is looking at an open ended trip from the islands......

#6 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,707 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

When I did it we were a boat load of dot. bombers there was very little motivation to return ha ha............... I recall the max height for the trailer ie ship ride home being some place in the neighborhood of 12ft or possibly 12-13ft. Our ride sitting on a borrowed J105 trailer had an inch or so to spare we may have let some air out of the tires LOL.

I would love to do the trip again! Also the ship ride home for the boat is great thats pretty much the only way I would plan it per my boat choice etc. Unless of course you have unlimited time and a fast boat then an open40 ride home during a nice weather window would be fantastic.

#7 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,707 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

The spooky thought now is the Japan mess. The thought of bombing over the top of a big swell in the middle of the night flying the kite hauling ass and to be confronted with some sizable debri would be pretty damn scary. Really hope all my sailing friends doing the trip are safe and have a fantastic ride!!!!

#8 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,880 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

We're hanging out for a few weeks then sailing home on her own bottom...though SF might not be our final destination...a lot of the homeward bound routing is dependent upon the amount of Japanese debris in the water. I'm waiting (while chomping on the bit) for my new rudder. The new kites are in. I'm presently doing a re-cut of an old #1 to a Jib Top, and adding a set of reef points to my carbon fiber main. I'm also investigating some kind of post race incentive program for two fence sitting crew members...both of whom I really want aboard.

#9 Kū!

Kū!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

I'm also investigating some kind of post race incentive program

Posted Image

#10 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

VALIS will be sailing home after the race. Two of us will be Pac Cup crew, and the other two (possibly three) will be aboard for the return only. The Japanese debris is a concern, but I honestly wonder if the density will be significantly worse than the crap we usually see along the "up and over" route to the mainland. Gonna play it by ear.

Re the Pac Cup preparations, we will be conducting a SSB radio test net on April 29 (Opening Day on S.F. Bay). Here are some details:

2012 SSB Test Net - Fire up the rig and get on the air!

Sunday April 29, 3:00-4:00 PM PDT (2200-2300 UTC)

3:00 3:15 PM : 4A (4146 kHz)

3:15 3:30 PM : 6A (6224 kHz)

3:30 3:45 PM : 8A (8294 kHz)

3:45 4:00 PM : 4A (4146 kHz)

San Francisco Net Control: Paul Elliott S/V VALIS call sign WDB2898

SoCal Net Control: Gordon West call sign WMD

PNW Net Control: Jim Innes S/V Red Sheilla call sign CFN5335
and/or David Sutcliffe S/V KINETIC call sign CFG7437

This is an excellent opportunity for SHTP, Pac Cup, and Vic/Maui racers to make sure their SSB communications are ready to go. We will be operating on three different frequencies, which should allow for not only local but long-distance communications (propagation permitting). Do try to make contact on each of the frequencies, since you are not only testing your radio system, but making sure that your radio does not adversely affect your other electronic systems, and these effects can be very frequency-dependent.

Here is a link to a pdf with times and frequencies: SSB Test Net

#11 Off Watch

Off Watch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Performance Sailboats
    Sailmaking
    Boatbuilding and Repair
    Offshore Sailing

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

The spooky thought now is the Japan mess. The thought of bombing over the top of a big swell in the middle of the night flying the kite hauling ass and to be confronted with some sizable debri would be pretty damn scary. Really hope all my sailing friends doing the trip are safe and have a fantastic ride!!!!

Unfortunatly we had to drop our Pac Cup campaign for 2012 but I had checked on the Japan debris and it looked like it should not be a big problem for this year as most to the stuff is going North of the Pac Cup route wiith the clockwise rotation in the North Pacific. It could be a problem for boats doing the delivery back and for future Pac Cup and Trans Pacs.

#12 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

OK, I bit the bullet and talked to my bosses about taking the extra time off (w/o pay) to do the return delivery. And they were OK with it. Which might not be such a great sign! :blink: So it looks like we will indeed be getting in another 3 weeks of fishing and being up around the clock. It's a big relief, as I had not begun to talk to shippers, and with my boat's relatively high topsides it is unclear if I would meet the clearance reqs on the trailer.

#13 Off Watch

Off Watch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
    Sailmaking
    Boatbuilding and Repair
    Offshore Sailing

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

I have a question. After all the fun of the race and party - Whats the usual story about reality setting in and having to return to the mainland?

Same crew?
Different Crew?
Oh fuck, leave the boat in the marina for a while?

We shipped the boat back with Matson on a container ship by far the easiest way to go but only practical if the boat is under 30'.

I don't know of anyone that has done it with the same crew, I am sure someone must have, but once you get to Hawaii It would be really hard to get back on board for a harder trip back home.

A lot of boats get pretty desperate for crew to bring the boat back, it seams there is usually offers of free airfare to Hawaii for someone to help bring the boat back. One of my crew claims he was almost shanghaied after having some drinks on another local boat.

#14 dog of war

dog of war

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

1334378667[/url]' post='3672134']
OK, I bit the bullet and talked to my bosses about taking the extra time off (w/o pay) to do the return delivery. And they were OK with it. Which might not be such a great sign! :blink: So it looks like we will indeed be getting in another 3 weeks of fishing and being up around the clock. It's a big relief, as I had not begun to talk to shippers, and with my boat's relatively high topsides it is unclear if I would meet the clearance reqs on the trailer.

Both ways D/H with your daughter? That would truly be an epic trip of a lifetime for both of you!!!

#15 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

1334378667[/url]' post='3672134']

Both ways D/H with your daughter? That would truly be an epic trip of a lifetime for both of you!!!

I didn't mention that my boss said the last time they let a guy take time off to go sailing (before my time at the company) he ended up divorced. Fortunately I already have that box checked.

I guess one benefit of DH is that there is only one way to hate each other, as opposed to crewed where there are n!/2 or something....

hmmm good math problem for C.A. :P

#16 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

I didn't mention that my boss said the last time they let a guy take time off to go sailing (before my time at the company) he ended up divorced. Fortunately I already have that box checked.

I guess one benefit of DH is that there is only one way to hate each other, as opposed to crewed where there are n!/2 or something....

hmmm good math problem for C.A. :P

Don't forget self-loathing. I think that makes it n2. For doublehanded you would have 4 possible hate-relationships, as the hating may not be mutual. Having sailed with you though, I predict the hate factor on Temerity will be very small.

Two of my probable return crew are researchers in the NOAA Marine Debris Program. We're definitely going to be taking good notes as we sail home.

#17 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Yes, we are going to sign up with that marine debris survey thing-y that was on the PacCup site.

The main debris I am interested in collecting though is fast, iridescent, and has fins....

There are (n^2 + n)/2 pairwise hate relationships, including of course self-hate (amazing thing for a skipper to forget).

BUT, don't forget that with crew, some of the worst dynamics arise from groups hating groups, e.g. 5 = 2 + 3, or in a boat I heard about 8 = 4 + 4, or a funny story I heard about 6 = 5 + 1.

The traditional seamanlike thing really should be N = nc + 1 + 1 , where the crew hate the skipper and the mate, as described in many old shantys and the like.

#18 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

OK, we passed our inspection last Friday, apparently the first in the fleet to do so. Woo hoo!

Still plenty of work to do, particularly on power systems.

Got some new sails on order, too, for both sporty mode and grandma mode.

Still haven't made any plans on where and how to stay in Hawai'i, other than the boat. My youngest might or might not be flying out to see us. I'm thinking we could use a few days of hotel service, hot showers, AC, etc. before climbing back aboard for delivery. Plus we will need a car to drive around and do local reprovisioning, etc. Nothing that a VISA can't solve.

Just 74 days to go!

#19 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Pogs, - if there is something I can do to lend a hand, lemme know - glad to assist if an Oahu-based contact would be handy - I live just 'up the road' from Kaneohe Bay.

#20 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

That's great to hear, I may take you up on it!

Cheers

David

#21 svpahto

svpahto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, fishing, diving

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

I turned around 500 miles north of hawaii, sailed back and put my boat on a ship. There is enough debris that is more than capable of sinking a boat, i just decided it wasn't worth the risk. Lesson learned there, was if there is any chance you might ship your boat home, you can save yourself a pile of money by have it all planned well before you arrive in hawaii.

#22 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

Posted Image

Here is how I think division splits might go for the DH'ers.

Read a bit more on my blog here.

#23 Darrel J

Darrel J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Any boats looking for crew for the return trip? Sadly I am not going this year, but my daughter is wanting to get in some ocean miles. She is my double-handed companion and does foredeck on my Express 27.

NOTE to self: Probably not good to be offering my daughter here on SA. LOL

Cheers,
Darrel
ALTERNATE REALITY

#24 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

Just 6 weeks to go to first starts. Running out of weekends to work on the boat, also running out of things to do! Metric shitload of upgrade$ in place, jerry cans purchased for the return trip etc. etc. Crew is psyched, keeps talking about Moitessier. :P

#25 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Prelim Division Splits are up. Link.

There are 49 boats listed, down from 52 originally, it looks like we have a few MIAs, the DH SC27 and maybe at least one Div E boat?

Starts are spread Monday -- Thursday, I think in 2010 they went to Saturday, but the super fast boats of 2010's Div E are not coming out this time.

Also, starts are 2 hrs later than last time, I guess everyone will get to sleep in a bit before leaving.

#26 JSoup

JSoup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

I know the DH SC27 withdrew due to feeling unprepared. I think Low Speed Chase was registered before the tragedy, that's one of the missing entries.

Wish we were going - hopefully 2014!

Prelim Division Splits are up. Link.

There are 49 boats listed, down from 52 originally, it looks like we have a few MIAs, the DH SC27 and maybe at least one Div E boat?

Starts are spread Monday -- Thursday, I think in 2010 they went to Saturday, but the super fast boats of 2010's Div E are not coming out this time.

Also, starts are 2 hrs later than last time, I guess everyone will get to sleep in a bit before leaving.

#27 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

Looks like the tide may have been the consideration in picking the later start times for Monday.

Posted Image

#28 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:47 AM

More (Prelim) Div Split Fun

A, B, C, are all displacement boats.

In DH, the Jenneau and Bene might have gone to DH 2...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

The start times were definitely influenced by the tide / currents.

The DH divisions were influenced by displacement as well as rating. An attempt was made to group "like-kind" boats together. No matter how you slice it it's going to look strange from some perspective, but this may be less strange than a pure rating split would have been.

I'm noticing that there are no Cal 40's in division A (my division). DH1 has one though (Nozomi). Cal 40's are the boat I love to hate, since I owe them time, but they always out-sail me. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to due with skill... Oh well, this way I can root for Green Buffalo in the SHTP!

#30 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

@Valis

Safe travels. Take good care of Rich. I really try not to think about the race this year as I'm suddenly missing it a lot, but between work & family it's just not in the cards.

About those Cal 40s, I know of a little Cascade 36 that can have it's way with them if one would be interested:). Probably on the block soon.

Please ensure a good radio silly hour. It helps the DH pass the time. Avoid whales! Something lately about Oregonians on sailboats and large fish.

Fair Winds,

Raindrop

#31 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,880 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

The start times were definitely influenced by the tide / currents.

The DH divisions were influenced by displacement as well as rating. An attempt was made to group "like-kind" boats together. No matter how you slice it it's going to look strange from some perspective, but this may be less strange than a pure rating split would have been.

I'm noticing that there are no Cal 40's in division A (my division). DH1 has one though (Nozomi). Cal 40's are the boat I love to hate, since I owe them time, but they always out-sail me. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to due with skill... Oh well, this way I can root for Green Buffalo in the SHTP!

Looks like you're stuck with us. We don't have to carry an anchor on the bow do we?

#32 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

NoStrings, don't worry about the anchor, VALIS will be carrying enough anchor for the whole fleet.

I'm actually going to leave my heavy-mother anchor at home, along with the 300 ft of chain we usually carry. Instead we will have our race-legal (and then some) medium-weight anchor and the rope/chain rode, with the anchor stowed below. That, and the fortress stern anchor, always ready to deploy.

I've always started with the anchor on the bow, then taken it below once we're past the Farallones. I should look at the race rules, because I think I'm the only one with the bow anchor at the start. OSR #4.06.1 does say (for boats 28+ feet) "two anchors ... all ready for immediate use". I suppose it depends on the definition of "immediate". In any case, I like to have the anchors available whenever we're somewhere we might need to use them.

And Raindrop, thanks for the kind thoughts. We're definitely going to take care of Rich -- he's the one with the special fish taco recipe! I'm pretty sure that Michael Moradzadeh will be at the mic for the afternoon "Children's Hour" radio extravaganza. He and I still need to work out the watch and radio schedule details, but he is a natural-born talk-show host. Me, I'm more of a "just the facts. ma'am" guy.

#33 abrainard

abrainard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:26 AM

Does anyone have any fishing tips? This time Brainwaves is going to catch the bigone.

Andy

#34 islandplanet

islandplanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

@Valis

Safe travels. Take good care of Rich. I really try not to think about the race this year as I'm suddenly missing it a lot, but between work & family it's just not in the cards.

About those Cal 40s, I know of a little Cascade 36 that can have it's way with them if one would be interested:). Probably on the block soon.

Please ensure a good radio silly hour. It helps the DH pass the time. Avoid whales! Something lately about Oregonians on sailboats and large fish.

Fair Winds,

Raindrop

We met briefly when you were in Alameda. Great job on that race.
For anyone interested in Raindrop I can attest to the fact it was pretty damn impeccable when I saw the boat before Pacific Cup so worth checking out if you're in the market.

#35 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Pacific Cup 2014

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

Any idea why the entries are down so much this year (is this the lowest ever?)? Also, why are there so few big/fast boats or is that just a function of the total being about half of a big year?

Can the DH J/120 be first to finish given the lack of real speed starting several days later?

#36 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Attached File  2012-06-15_104649.jpg   11.74K   0 downloads

Total entries are still better than 2006.

Where do the big boats go? Maybe they will be back next time, like the grunions.

#37 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Does anyone have any fishing tips? This time Brainwaves is going to catch the bigone.

Andy

cedar plug :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

#38 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

More data on historic entries.

Back in the earlier times, there were way more DNF/DNCs than in the last 3 cycles or so.

Note how the peak in 2000 is about the time of the telecom boom, and the peak in 2008 is the peak of the housing/credit bubble.

So, when the PacCup reaches a historic high, sell everything and go sailing. B)

Posted Image

#39 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,880 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

Paul, neither of us is going to beat a three day spread. And they won't move us to B without moving you as well. Wouldn't you rather race in a 24 hour Division?

#40 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

T - 3 weeks!

We got in some practice sailing this weekend, reviewed MOB technique and a lot of basics like reefing, setting and dousing our twins, and spin handling drill. Only one hat (sadly,my 2010 PacCup hat) was sacrificed to Neptune (or Ku?) in the process.

The TO-DO list is getting a little shorter, but is still over one page long. :blink:

#41 Ishtarsdog

Ishtarsdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

Kotuku headed south this afternoon. Forecast is decent, might be a little lumpy tonight but the outside looks good. Anytime you can start the ride south downwind, you probably should. So off they went!

As for me, it was painful to watch her slide away with 6 crew, headed for San Fran. I am off to Germany on business next week, so I got to go home and mow the lawn instead. That empty slip on C dock represents a ton of work and preparation by the crew. Some (Matt, who did most of the provisioning) breathed a sigh of relief. But as I turned to walk back up the dock, I realized that the clean, empty slick of water also represents a void normally filled by a great boat. And the good friends who sail her are scattered across the globe. A huge milestone, getting ready, and getting the lines free. But sad, too, for awhile. Good bye old girl, see you in San Francisco!

#42 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Exactly two weeks to go to the start. We seem to have reached homeostasis, with the number of repaired and upgraded systems and bits of gear being balanced by new breakages and loss overboard. Still not enough time in the boat, and almost no spin practice, though we managed to place 3rd in the SHS Division of the OYRA Half Moon Bay Race, which was to be our big chance to practice spin maneuvers. Sailed all night home in the cold and thick fog, and were too tired to set in the morning. Lots of fun interacting with VTS at 0400, got to confirm that our radar reflector seems to work, even though we found out recently that our AIS personal MOB devices are probably next to useless (see thread on Gear Anarchy), at least with the gear we already own.

#43 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

Crew available for the trip if anyone needs it. Crewed on Beach Cats up to large monohulls every once in a while.

#44 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

Final Division Splits Up: http://pacificcup.or...012-pacific-cup

Very nice how they are staggering the start times of the successive start dates so that each fleet leaves the Bay on nearly the same tide state...

Team Trophies: I looked but could not see anyone else using SSS as their YC, so no Team Trophy opportunity for us, unless there are some lurkers who would like to join us...

#45 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Damn, I've now heard of two boats dropping out due largely to crew issues. :(

#46 Ishtarsdog

Ishtarsdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Who? I noticed some movement in our class (tiki blue moved up one start) but hadn't noticed any dropouts.

#47 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Crew is threatening to bake multiple loaves of banana bread for the trip. Is the bad luck contained in bananas killed by heat, 1 hr @350 degF? Worried.

#48 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'd go with zucchini bread.

#49 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Crew is threatening to bake multiple loaves of banana bread for the trip. Is the bad luck contained in bananas killed by heat, 1 hr @350 degF? Worried.

The myth/superstition/tradition of Bananas being bad luck is generalyl attributed to ship owner/skippers not wanting Tarantulas aboard and thus would tell the (mostly illiterate) crew about the 'bad luck' that having bananas aboard brought - as it's far easier to scare idiots than reason with them (see: Fox news )

As such, seeing how baking should generally cover you from the deadly spider aspect of Bananas, you are probably good to go with Banana Bread.

#50 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,703 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

The myth/superstition/tradition of Bananas being bad luck is generalyl attributed to ship owner/skippers not wanting Tarantulas aboard and thus would tell the (mostly illiterate) crew about the 'bad luck' that having bananas aboard brought - as it's far easier to scare idiots than reason with them (see: Fox news )

As such, seeing how baking should generally cover you from the deadly spider aspect of Bananas, you are probably good to go with Banana Bread.

But if you come across some chitinous, furry bits, you may want to cut them out.

#51 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

I think I read in a somewhat scientific sounding piece that bananas have excessive amount of tannen (sp) which accelerates the ripining process of other fruits.

#52 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

I think I read in a somewhat scientific sounding piece that bananas have excessive amount of tannen (sp) which accelerates the ripining process of other fruits.

Whatever you do, don't leave the peels on the deck.

I'm currently watching the SHTP and the Vic-Maui. Yellowbrick is doing a good job.

#53 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

Bananas DO release some compound that does ripen things quickly, but as the old ships weren't all that up on lots of fresh veggies, I'll stick to the "Keep the fools in the crew from bringing big hairy deadly spiders aboard" rationale.

#54 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:16 AM

I think you're safe with Banana bread.

#55 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

I think I read in a somewhat scientific sounding piece that bananas have excessive amount of tannen ethylene which accelerates the ripining process of other fruits.

fixed it.

#56 caneesq

caneesq

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

Relentless is all set. Anyone need a hotel room in SF on the Sunday before the race? I have an extra.

#57 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

A set of hands is available if someone is short crew.

#58 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

It's looking very light for those starting early next week...

http://neversealand....10/looks-light/

See blog post for animated winds and some ideas for routes.

#59 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

Still looking like an early start might be painful. Thursday looks good on GFS, still messed up on CMC. GFS is usually righter.

#60 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

Shit just like 2010?? So Div D will kill, again!

And me with all my spinnakers still not vacuum bagged... :P

We'll have enough food on board to make it to New Zealand, though.

#61 Off Watch

Off Watch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
    Sailmaking
    Boatbuilding and Repair
    Offshore Sailing

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Shit just like 2010?? So Div D will kill, again!

And me with all my spinnakers still not vacuum bagged... :P

Have a great race, I wish we would have been able to get our boat together for this year Pacific Cup but will have to follow the race online instead.

At this point don't sweat the small stuff and just try to get as much sleep as posible because once the race starts you never get enough sleep and are always somewhat sleep deprived which will effect everything else..

#62 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Off Watch, it would have been fun to hoist a few at Kaneohe!

The to-do list is now officially less than a page long, many items have been jettisoned as 'just ain't gonna happen, oh well'.

To the other Pac Cuppers, see you Saturday.

How come so little chatter on this thread? And no one stepping up to offer rum to the SA winners??

#63 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

So , what is the format of the position data files sent to the racers? There was some mention of Java I didn't understand.

I found this link to be working...

http://yb.tl/links/pacificcup2012

#64 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Still looking like an early start might be painful. Thursday looks good on GFS, still messed up on CMC. GFS is usually righter.

Right now I think I would rather start on the 16th vs 17th (ouch), 18th or 20th. 19th looks Ok. Of course the later dates are rather a long way out for anything close to reliable forecasting!

Just fooling around with routing using GFS the 16th yields the fastest potential with the 17th being the slowest potential. The next fastest is the 20th and then the 19th by a couple of hours. Two different boats used as the model.

Hear me now, search my soul later.

Have fun, sail safe, go fast. Not necessarily in that order!

#65 full circle

full circle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

rooting for buena vista in division d! representing ventura y.c. and sailinganarchy y.c.
also cheering for buzz on california condor!

go get em' guys!

http://pacificcup.or...try/buena-vista

#66 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Right now I think I would rather start on the 16th vs 17th (ouch), 18th or 20th. 19th looks Ok. Of course the later dates are rather a long way out for anything close to reliable forecasting!

Just fooling around with routing using GFS the 16th yields the fastest potential with the 17th being the slowest potential. The next fastest is the 20th and then the 19th by a couple of hours. Two different boats used as the model.

Hear me now, search my soul later.

Have fun, sail safe, go fast. Not necessarily in that order!

It turns out the 19th is the last day to start, so I really wouldn't want to start on the 20th, even though it has better potential than the 19th :o

#67 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold detecting, meteorite hunting.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

I'll be watching the race daily, go Temerity!

#68 EVK4

EVK4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

The long wait is over; I am prepared to offer my official Pacific Cup 2012 endorsements to ....... VALIS, Temerity, & Moonshine.

No need to thank me, just sail fast.

#69 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Thanks Edward!

Blog posts/updates are starting to heat up over on the PacCup site. Pretty funny one of the "dropping off the kids at the pool" genre on the E.T. blog.

Looks like a replay of 2010 wind-wise still. Why did the SHTP guys have to use up all the good breeze? :P

#70 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

OK very important question here, is mahi mahi OK for sushi/sashimi or not? Some say parasites may be an issue with this species if uncooked. Urgent!

#71 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

OK very important question here, is mahi mahi OK for sushi/sashimi or not? Some say parasites may be an issue with this species if uncooked. Urgent!

Cook it. Or, at the very least, make ceviche and let marinate for at least 3 hrs.

Well, I wasn't going to write this, but I have to now that I see quite a few of you are eating dorado sashimi. Yes, it's very good, but there is a huge potential. As some of you know, I spent four years living in Japan and that's where I learned to eat and appreciate both sushi and sashimi. I like both but am a real sashimi addict.

Here is what I was told by the Japanese eta sans who cut the fish and my many Japanese friends, to a man. There are lots of dorado/dolphin in the waters around those islands, yet I never found them (I forget the Japanese name) in the extensive list of just about everything that swims or crawls in salt water. When I asked about dorado sashimi I was met with looks of horror and disgust and lots of damais! (never!)

Here is what I was told. It was that some dorado carry a parasite's eggs that can't be seen or detected in any way and that once this parasitic worm's eggs hatch inside a human the adults cannot be killed without killing the host(you-know-who). I will spare you the other details I was given, which were gruesome as hell, and merely say that from that day on I never ate raw dorado again. I mean, if the guys who invented the dish get all shaky and nuts when you ask if you can have some, as far as I'm concerned, it's time to retreat!

Those of you who have Japanese friends should ask around about this. It certainly is what I was told and none of my engineers or anyone else over there would even touch the stuff!

#72 JustDroppingBy

JustDroppingBy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

They sell it @ $40/lb for sushi/sashimi online and there are a lot of sites with directions etc for properly prepping it for sushi...

http://www.gilttaste.com/products/92247658-honolulu-fish-company-mahi-mahi-fillets

#73 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

Nooo! Don't eat Mahi Mahi raw!

It must be bad, it's not endangered...

Also don't eat the steak tartar at that little French restaurant by the church in Puerto Vallarta, It's really bad, so don't even think about it!

Also...Japanese Mahi Mahi is radioactive!

#74 razorback

razorback

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

The long wait is over; I am prepared to offer my official Pacific Cup 2012 endorsements to ....... VALIS, Temerity, & Moonshine.

No need to thank me, just sail fast.

#75 razorback

razorback

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the endorsement!

Having completed provisioning, I can't guarantee fast, I can guarantee full bellies.

#76 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

OK, food aboard, tracker active, Ti leaves and Tiki god leading the way.

Let's do this!

Posted Image

#77 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

What boat does the Tiki God lead the way on ?

#78 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'm just looking at gribs on my iPhone via Pocketgribs, in Paso Robles. Pretty neat app.

Still looks like 16th is a pretty good start day, although you guys need to get out of town in a hurry. Big high pressure ridge looking to settle over San Fran later on the 16th into the 17th and 18th. starting to clear out on the 19th.

17th looks really ugly.

What are others seeing?

#79 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

Further than that, if your new waterline is anything to go by. :lol:

#80 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

Further than that, if your new waterline is anything to go by. :lol:

Now you are making me feel bad.

A well nourished crew is alert and fast!

As to who is favored by the tiki god, see the .sig

Don't forget, it is kapu to mess with us at the start. ;)

#81 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Good luck to todays starters. They're going to need it! That high pressure ridge is moving in faster than predicted and will slam the door on todays fleet. Starting to look better for the later starters now, particularly the last fleet on the 19th. Looks very similar to the '10 race. Have fun, sal safe etc, etc.

#82 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:Custom Plastic Injection Molding
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Mac Gregor 65' Lean Machine
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Class A just started. Double Handers are up next.

#83 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Has Valis turned around or did they just do a 360?

#84 EVK4

EVK4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Everybody who went that far south is slow, I'm hoping it's just drifting and not turning around. How often does the tracker update?

#85 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Juanita showing the same, headed back. Jamani is headed to Alaska:lol:

#86 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Looks like No Strings and Temerity are going to pass each other on opposite headings. :blink:

#87 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

I don't like what is going on south of rhumb right now. I think Nozomi is getting suckered into short term good pressure, The long term looks like the boats to the north will win out. Maybe this will decide the whole race for these three divisions. Kind of glad to be desktop sailing right now :o. Although it will get a lot better and then I'll be green with envy :ph34r:

#88 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Latest tracker shows them headed back to SF

#89 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

I think Valis and Blue Mist were caught in tidal action for a while with no wind. The icon is skewed but they now show they are headed back to the northern track.

#90 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

I think Valis and Blue Mist were caught in tidal action for a while with no wind. The icon is skewed but they now show they are headed back to the northern track.

I hope you are correct but Yellow Brick is showing a heading of 020 degrees @5.4 kts

#91 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

I have them traveling at 67.4 knts @ 201

#92 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Naos, Temerity and No Strings found a grove.

#93 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Redwood, cypress, or China . . .?

#94 EVK4

EVK4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

VALIS is now on the rhumb line and will not deviate until they are sipping mai tais!

#95 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

Redwood, cypress, or China . . .?

I think China, would be a great song about now. Groove, ok?:P

#96 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

Will California Condor arrive intact this time ? The way those rudders were ripped off the transom last time made me wonder if the engineering was questionable - hope they have it sorted this time.

#97 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:Custom Plastic Injection Molding
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Mac Gregor 65' Lean Machine
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

They were seriously fast until the rudders tore away.

It looks really painful for the early starters.

#98 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Painful? Looks like they all took acid before they left. What a track!
Posted Image

#99 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

They really need to start all the divisions on the same day. These guys are going to get killed by the fast boats starting in better conditions later in the week, again.

"It was really two races but we had fun" just doesn't cut it for a race of this distance. The race needs to be put ahead of the party.

#100 fogmachine

fogmachine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Stirring things up from the poop deck.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Totally disagree w/ @BobJ. Getting there and meeting the people we'd been on the SSB w/over the past two weeks instead of finding they'ed come and gone was part of what made it "The Fun Race To Hawaii." There's no way to make the weather window fair in a 2000NM race.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users