325 replies to this topic

#201 javahead

javahead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:full keel boats

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

FYI. The USCGC Sockeye appears, from the AIS web page, to be back out in the Gulf of the Farallons, this afternoon (Apr 16 1309 hrs). North of the shipping channel, toward Drakes Bay. Don't know if it is related.

#202 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

L38 link

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
As it becomes clear that nothing short of a miracle could deliver the missing crew to safety, many within the Bay Area sailing community are numb with grief as they digest the severity of this tragedy. Meanwhile, it has become a national news story, inspiring a great deal of Monday morning quarterbacking from both sailors and non-sailors alike about what the stricken crew and rescuers might have or should have done. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it appears that many of the loudest voices in such critiques are apparently those of people who know nothing about offshore racing, or the motivations of those who choose to participate in it. So rather than critiquing, we would encourage all who are following this sad story to join us in mourning the loss of our fellow sailors, and offering sincere condolences to their friends and families.

#203 GABA

GABA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Thoughts and prayers for Crew, family and friends of the sailors lost - and also for the burden of the survivors. Our hearts bleed for all of you.

I suspect that many of us here in the midwest who sailed last summer's Chicago Mac and witnessed the evil of the night that took Mark and Suzanne on Wingnuts are having some bad flashbacks right now. We really can feel your pain.

#204 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,537 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

L38 link

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
As it becomes clear that nothing short of a miracle could deliver the missing crew to safety, many within the Bay Area sailing community are numb with grief as they digest the severity of this tragedy. Meanwhile, it has become a national news story, inspiring a great deal of Monday morning quarterbacking from both sailors and non-sailors alike about what the stricken crew and rescuers might have or should have done. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it appears that many of the loudest voices in such critiques are apparently those of people who know nothing about offshore racing, or the motivations of those who choose to participate in it. So rather than critiquing, we would encourage all who are following this sad story to join us in mourning the loss of our fellow sailors, and offering sincere condolences to their friends and families.

wow - the boat seems mostly intact in that photo.

I imagined it smashed to pieces by now...

#205 chicagosos

chicagosos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Yacht club parties.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

I can't even begin to think how terrifying this must have been, it just sounds like it all happened so fast.

Condolences to all the loved ones.

Rest in Peace to those lost.

#206 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Very sad for everyone involved. My condolences to the families.

#207 WYD_Dave

WYD_Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Sailing in general, scuba diving, long distance sailboat racing, drag racing (also a lifelong gear head but prefer internal combustion stay on land)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

What a heartbreaking story. My condolences to all involved. I kept reading the updates hoping for a miracle.

Dave

#208 enzof

enzof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

L38 link

That's the view we had as we passed the island; the boat was neither rocking nor did I see any waves striking her. I appeared to me that the boat had been picked up by a monstrous wave and hurled ashore, beyond the reach of the others.

#209 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

First thing I did earlier when I got home from school was to check out this thread, a stark reminder for me at the start of a new season.

Was very upset but the whole accident, and my heart goes out to the families of the deceased and missing, but words can never be enough in a horrible tragedy like this.

Fair winds and following seas

#210 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

L38 link

That's the view we had as we passed the island; the boat was neither rocking nor did I see any waves striking her. I appeared to me that the boat had been picked up by a monstrous wave and hurled ashore, beyond the reach of the others.

When waves refract it provides the opportunity to combine- in addition to the wind and swell combinations

Here you can see the waves being bent by points of land link

#211 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

I wrote up the race and accident as we saw it here.

http://neversealand....arallones-2012/

If you look at our track at time 4:17PM you can see how a breaking wave on our port quarter caused us to spin like a top, way after we passed the islands.

#212 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

http://neversealand....arallones-2012/

If you look at our track at time 4:17PM you can see how a breaking wave on our port quarter caused us to spin like a top, way after we passed the islands.

Thanks for sharing this. Glad you all are ok Pogen and good on you to call friends / family to say you were ok upon your return. I know you won't ever forget that day, nor will the rest of us.

#213 Pierre S

Pierre S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

My condolences to the families and friends of those lost and to all the SF sailing community.

#214 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

I suppose this is as good a place as any to pass this along. A friend of mine who works with the Bay of the Farallones says the following:

"I have gotten the word out to our Beachwatch folks who survey much of

that coastline from pt reyes to South of Ano Nuevo to keep eyes peeled for

any sign or personal gear. Same w the daily whale tour boats and the

coastal sightseeing flights (all friends). There are still a lot of

eyes looking. All are instructed to call USCG alameda, local law enforcement or

our FMSA emergency response line for us to relay to same."

#215 Pokey uh da LBC

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Blue Skies and a Stiff Breeze...

SGA
---

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

#216 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

Heard a rumor that other boats saw it happening and sailed on because "wasn't much we could do in that sea state"

I would think drop the sails and start the momo and try to get eyes on any floaters until help could come.

Just sailed on ????????

WTF? Speculation on rumors is not constructive at this point.

More than rumer, Quotation marks are direct quote

"SHUT IT" Did you see my quotes?

This is the "Care and Condolences Thread" The speculate, blame, and know it all thread will come, or has already I am sure. Remember that friends and loved ones are here. Take the this and that happened somewhere else, even if you "know" it. This is not the forum for that.

I know this is SA and it is not REQUIRED

- BUT HAVE SOME COURTESY! HEADS!

--- not just aimed a re-psycled, many of you are doing it. His was mild.

#217 usa 917

usa 917

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Sailing sails sailboats

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

My heart goes out to the families and friends.

#218 JNavas

JNavas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

This is the "Care and Condolences Thread" The speculate, blame, and know it all thread will come, or has already I am sure. Remember that friends and loved ones are here. Take the this and that happened somewhere else, even if you "know" it. This is not the forum for that.

It's actually a general discussion thread, and lecturing of other posters isn't helpful.

#219 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,329 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

I suppose this is as good a place as any to pass this along. A friend of mine who works with the Bay of the Farallones says the following:

"I have gotten the word out to our Beachwatch folks who survey much of

that coastline from pt reyes to South of Ano Nuevo to keep eyes peeled for

any sign or personal gear. Same w the daily whale tour boats and the

coastal sightseeing flights (all friends). There are still a lot of

eyes looking. All are instructed to call USCG alameda, local law enforcement or

our FMSA emergency response line for us to relay to same."

Nice to hear something positive giving a better chance

Many Many thoughts regarding the situation - so frustrating not being able to help in any way at all Posted Image

#220 bwana

bwana

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

Thanks, Giants: http://www.mercuryne...nt-alexis-busch

#221 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Very classy. Thank you Larry Baer.

#222 Caca Cabeza

Caca Cabeza

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:Getting back in the environment, putting the front back on, flux capacitors, the fourth mode, but NOT landt.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Quality organization

#223 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (Duh!)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

Many thanks to all who posted first hand accounts of the race, much appreciated...

Condoleances to families and friends and much support to the event organizers. This is a terrible tragedy and words from across the continent don't seem to be sufficient to express our grief.

Fair winds.

#224 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

Heartbreaking, and much too close to home-fair winds all and the only positive is that they were doing what they loved. Not a bad way to go.

#225 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,537 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

http://neversealand.downtothesea.org/2012/04/16/oyra-farallones-2012/

thanks for the write-up.

why did you round to starboard?

#226 JNavas

JNavas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Aerial photos from The Chronicle: http://goo.gl/dhD0J

#227 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

It's actually a general discussion thread, and lecturing of other posters isn't helpful.

I was at least the 3rd poster to reflect this sentiment in the thread.

And since when do we expect any SA'r not to lecture, at least occasionally?

My prayers and thoughts are with the families of those lost. The discussions of what/why/how and what we learn from that ourselves to keep things safer in the future I will save for somewhere else, with at least a few days of respect for the feelings of the families and friends of the dead and missing crew.

I don't know these guys personally, but since I moved from the West Coast last fall I have lost 3 FRIENDS from the sailing community, and especially in those first few days you are less interested in HOW and more interested in dealing with the loss and looking for support. Have some respect for the loved ones that may be reading this - at least for a few days! There have been some callous comments here for any family that may have chosen to come here for some solace. Tough SHIT if it's Sailing ANARCHY - police your own mouth.

I give a fuck less if you think it's a lecture - IT IS! and if even one person listens - it IS helpful!

#228 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

Saw a helo flying out there and wondered if we'd soon see shots. The one I saw was channel 7...
Sad view.

#229 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

thanks for the write-up.

Well it is allowed, and we were not pointing all that great in the big chop -- we were coming in more toward the S. end of the islands anyway, it was easier to just crack off a tiny bit and make it that way. My tactician assured me that it was equivalent either way (per Expedition) -- and exiting from the n. side would give us a better angle for the ride home. We did OK, I can't say we would have done better or worse going the other way.

#230 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

A shot of Low Speed Chase before the start. From another site

Attached Files

#231 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,537 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

thanks for the write-up.

Well it is allowed, and we were not pointing all that great in the big chop -- we were coming in more toward the S. end of the islands anyway, it was easier to just crack off a tiny bit and make it that way. My tactician assured me that it was equivalent either way (per Expedition) -- and exiting from the n. side would give us a better angle for the ride home. We did OK, I can't say we would have done better or worse going the other way.

sure.., i don't sail out there, but i guess that if you aren't fetching the north side, then it's not necessarily obvious which is better.

#232 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (Duh!)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

Someone help me here... were these photos taken at low tide or did a wave drop the boat that far up?

#233 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,840 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

big waves - less the next day

only a ~ max six foot tide at san francisco

#234 Hank

Hank

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

Someone help me here... were these photos taken at low tide or did a wave drop the boat that far up?

Not sure when that pic was taken. Highest tides in that area that day were at about 9:00 pm or shortly before! So YES I am thinking a wave tossed it up there. And yes pic was taken at lower tides.

#235 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

Not sure when that pic was taken. Highest tides in that area that day were at about 9:00 pm or shortly before! So YES I am thinking a wave tossed it up there. And yes pic was taken at lower tides.

Holy crap. That's a long way up. That was some big wave, must have been hell. My condolences to the friends and family, and to the survivors. Fair winds.

#236 cavJ35

cavJ35

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

Terrible and very sad. Many of us can probably recall episodes of our own experiences out in the ocean where a situation like this might have occurred and it played out with better luck. Let's not look for lessons to learn here right now, except facing the fact that we all take risks in life, in one way or another. I hope these sailors are remembered for their sportsmanship, comraderie, skill, bravery and passion. It took their lives to have the rest of us more aware of the dangers we face, and prepare the best we can every time. To the skipper, crew, friends and family, know that prayers of sailors are with you from across the nation, all the way to Puerto Rico, where I write from. Descansen en paz.

#237 edelweis

edelweis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

So the boat would be here?

Posted Image

#238 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

Edelweis,

Yes, that's the same spot as shown from the helo photos of the boat on the island.

From my all-to-intimate experience of boats pushed high onto rock by large waves, the distance above MSL is really hard to believe. Also shocking is the manner in which the seaward side of the boat looks practically perfect, while the side against the rocks may be completely ripped to shreds.

#239 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,299 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

this whole thing is awful, just awful. What a sad event, a tragedy. I feel so sad sitting here on the East coast, thousands of miles away. Whatever happened, it happened and no amount of couch skippering will make a difference. I hope that as hard as it is some will find something in the fact it was a great life lead by those that are lost. Sailing is a challenge and sometimes the challenge overcomes even the strongest, best prepared. When that happens it is all we can do to offer our prayers, our condolences, our hopes for better days ahead. Even that will fall short but I hope it helps in a small way. So sorry for all those affected, what a tragedy.

#240 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Edelweis,

If you look HERE you will see the dark discoloration of the rock in the area frequently swept by waves. This is not from tide, it's from the frequent battering that the windward side of the island receives all winter long. It is relatively common for a wave to run 20-30 feet up the windward side. Just down the coast is Maverick's, the site of the big-wave surfing contest that regularly gets 20-30 foot waves and sometimes much larger. The waves can be quite large around this area.

We race in the spring around here because the winds are more predictable and interesting. But it can be a bit too close to winter at times.

BV

#241 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

More victims of the pitiless sea. For those still here, love them forever.

This is one of those times that-

"I hate to be near the sea, and to hear it roaring and raging like a wild beast in it's den. It puts me in mind of the everlasting efforts of the human mind, struggling to be free, and ending just where it began"

-William Hazlitt

I wish them the Peace beyond Dreams.

Paul

#242 t22harris

t22harris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, sailing, and other adventures.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

With all the prayers and kind thoughts expressed here the lost souls are surely sailing with Jesus by now.

Sailing with Jesus

#243 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

While I am in no way entitled to speak for the SF Bay sailing community, I do want to thank each and every one of you for your kind thoughts and more importantly for your restraint at this difficult time. Thank you so much for your consideration.

#244 Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

This incident leaves me sad and numb. My sincerest condolences to the families of these sailors.

#245 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:56 AM

link- helo pilot perspective

#246 oceanracer

oceanracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

To all the survivors and to the departed, you will always be in our thoughts and prayers. As sailors and ocean racers we are all adventurers just trying to live life to its fullest for as long as we are here.

#247 racingnews

racingnews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:spectating

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

Amen. Well said.

#248 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

link- helo pilot perspective

and more info- letters to norcalsailing link

and some new comments link- houston? chron its AP article

#249 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Alexis Busch, one of four racing-sailboat crewmembers presumed lost in Saturday's accident near the Farallon Islands.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/16/BASV1O3UU5.DTL

#250 Dave E

Dave E

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

I was also in that '99 DHF race with John Simpson (casc27--Is that you John?). 18 foot seas and 38 knot winds. My thought at the time was if you go overboard, you're toast. The odds of a sailboat being able to get to you at all are slim indeed. That the crew of the turtled F31 got rescued was simply a miracle. Harvey Schlasky had the same safety equipment we had, although I think the question of whether his PFD inflated correctly or not was never really answered. In any case, you can't get back aboard a boat when you are being dragged behind it at 6 knots.

Low Speed Chase was crewed by experienced people. Yes, lots of boats cut the rock WAY too close, but the accident that killed Harvey Schlasky was only about 3-4 miles outside the Gate. We all tend to look for reasons when something like this happens, but it could happen to any of us in those conditions even with all the safety gear in the world. Anyone who thinks differently has never been in a Farallones race. This was just a terrible, terrible accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the deceased at this time. We can defend the Farallones races against the inevitable backlash another day.

Fair winds, mates.

#251 Penno

Penno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Thoughts and Prayers to Family and Friends.

Fair Winds..

#252 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,304 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Holy crap. That's a long way up. That was some big wave, must have been hell. My condolences to the friends and family, and to the survivors. Fair winds.

Stunning. The ocean positively threw that boat onto the island. Way up onto it. There's human error, and then there's simply being overwhelmed by the power of nature.

I hope no one thinks that I'm making light of the situation, but these people were doing something awesome, something that they loved. I'm sorry for the loss of life and the families' pain, but there are worse ways to go. I'm also sorry for the skipper, whom I'm sure would trade his life in a heartbeat, for the crew he lost.

#253 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I was at the Gaints game at AT&T park last night. Just before the singing of the national anthem, the public announcer asked for a moment of silence to honor the crew lost in this tragedy. The names of each of the crew members was read while showing a picture of Alexis Busch on the large outfield screen. It was very deep and respectful, and probably one of the only times the park saw 40,000 people standing in complete silence with only the sounds of seagulls reminding us of the waters around us.

I really wish this had turned out different. My sincere condolences to the families of the crew.

#254 JNavas

JNavas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Very good coverage in the Chron today:
"Lost sailors were adventurous, experienced"

#255 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Well done article - most of the quotes are from friends. They did a good job on this. Comments are god awful.

#256 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

I have been thinking of this tragedy for days now, I am stunned. I did not know any of the lost crew but as sailors we are all kin. There is no one to blame, we wern't there. My thoughts go out to the families who now must live on with this huge loss. They will need a lot of support.

#257 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Those Sydney's are tough boats but the wrong place at the wrong time... Sorry for your loss out West.

PS - in the future this is the way all threads like this should be, 11 pages of respect and condolences for the majority. After the nonsense we had here in Chicago last July this is refreshing.

#258 Jim E

Jim E

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

One of the survivors is a close friend. At some point Jay, Nick and Bryan may share their account of the incident - if they are so inclined. For now consider the media stories somewhat inaccurate, and much of the "monday morning quarterbacking" either ill-informed or completely disrespectful. There are lessons to be learned, and I'm sure the Coast Guard will offer some conclusions,but now is the time for comforting those who have lost friends and loved ones.

#259 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

I've had some tough conversations with the wife this weekend - and I'm pretty sure one of my crew will never go out the gate again. All very understandable and to be respected.
Now ain't the time for "could'a/would'a/should'a" when none of us has gotten our arms all the way 'round all this yet. I think it would be preferable to sit back and think about all this a bit and leave the speculation for a later time, preferably in a separate thread. For now, we all need to lick our wounds and take care of each other, and particularly take care of the families and friends. For now, God bless our brothers and our sister.

I Agree. I know this is SA and we all appreciate the open discussion forum that this is but this may be the place for some form of convention: a week of mourning prior to posts regarding fault analysis which should be in a separate thread.
my two bits.
Prayers and Condolences ,
Jaya

I respect your perspective and right to do as you wish.
Please likewise respect my right to a different perspective and action.
Criticizing others here is neither helpful nor useful.
My $0.02.

Then start another thread. It's not that difficult.

#260 Ahi Tuna

Ahi Tuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

This was a good article but here is a better one. SJ Merc Story

What I liked about this story is that they stuck primarily to facts, not opinion. Comments from John Navas about how we all go close and we all are cavalier about tethers is blood in the water for the press. I don't know what happened because I did not get to the island until the helicopter was already there. I doubt you were an eye witness and if you were please call the USCG and let them know what you saw.

We probably all have an opinion about what might have happened but they are just that, opinion. They don't belong in the media being treated as fact. From requests I have read earlier they don't belong in this thread either. When and if a new discussion is started about the details of this incident, when and if they are known, that might be the place for the discussion.

I realize this is a big hit for all of us who play out there and we want a reason and want closure. I think we all need to take a deep breath and be patient and wait for the experts to analyze what they think might have happened based on actual facts and true eye witness accounts. Speculation prior to that is not helpful.

#261 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:delete account

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

We are all saddened by this loss of life , by all accounts of knowledgable sailors. This tragedy so poignantly makes you aware of the inherent dangers of traveling on the water . Be vigilant, be knowledgable, and never be complacent. The incident nails home the message to all sailors how real those dangers are when a talent pool of trained sailors , adventurers are swept away to their watery grave. Dam that knocks the wind out of your sails. My crew will meet this weekend to pass a toast to those lost souls. I encourage all Captains to share this moment with their crews. Our tradition is to face to the east and toss a dram of whiskey over our left shoulder too the setting sun. We offer that spirit drink to the sailors spirits we just lost and all that have left us and gone off chasing the setting sun. While still facing to the east we pour another dram for our crew and toast ourselves in the knowledge that the sun will rise tomorrow and we will live another day to face our own challenges . Capt. Ed

#262 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

This was a good article but here is a better one. SJ Merc Story

What I liked about this story is that they stuck primarily to facts, not opinion. Comments from John Navas about how we all go close and we all are cavalier about tethers is blood in the water for the press. I don't know what happened because I did not get to the island until the helicopter was already there. I doubt you were an eye witness and if you were please call the USCG and let them know what you saw.

We probably all have an opinion about what might have happened but they are just that, opinion. They don't belong in the media being treated as fact. From requests I have read earlier they don't belong in this thread either. When and if a new discussion is started about the details of this incident, when and if they are known, that might be the place for the discussion.

I realize this is a big hit for all of us who play out there and we want a reason and want closure. I think we all need to take a deep breath and be patient and wait for the experts to analyze what they think might have happened based on actual facts and true eye witness accounts. Speculation prior to that is not helpful.

Its is better and less inaccurate.

#263 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

All, I told the Ed about that post...hopefully it will come down soon and our newbie will be given a break on his own beach in Texas, and come back when he's ready to play fair.

#264 The Dude

The Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

All, I told the Ed about that post...hopefully it will come down soon and our newbie will be given a break on his own beach in Texas, and come back when he's ready to play fair.

+1

#265 Bob W

Bob W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:duh...

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Ok, I started a new topic for speculative comments and opinions.
http://forums.sailin...howtopic=134043

Can we now keep this one a bit more focused on our collective loss and less on armchair quarterbacking?

#266 Ahi Tuna

Ahi Tuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

+1 for Pogen. Thank you for sharing my thoughts and expressing them with other words.

+1 for BobW. I came to this forum (I usually avoid SA due to what we see going on here) to search for information. This thread has degraded to the point where there is no longer any available.

Dixie is correct, this one is done and I am done with it.

#267 Bob W

Bob W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Ed: can you "clean out" some of the bs posts here? Maybe then we can keep this one open.

I for one have not shared my thoughts here. We were on Ahi and rounding the west side around 1545 when we saw the wreck. It was not as far up the rocks as the sf chron pictures showed it to be the next day, so there must have been some monster waves later.

When we saw it, after a minute of shock, we started scanning for swimmers in the hopes they bailed out of a disabled boat. But we were rounding at about .5 nm and there was nobody.

Later I was second-guessing myself, feeling bad that we didn't try to do more searching, but he report from Green Buffalo for one made me feel better that we just would not have been able to do anything.

It's still a horrible feeling though to know we were so close, but could not reach them.

My thoughts are with the survivors: I hope they do not blame themselves. Accidents happen. And with the families of the lost: may they find comfort.

And I am very grateful to sail with the crew of Ahi under skipper Andy. Times like this are hard, but they bring us closer together. Andy keeps us safe; I'd rather sail with him than just about anyone else.

Bob Walden

#268 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

^
AMF

#269 J Keeley

J Keeley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Horribly sad news. Since none of us were there maybe we should offer support and respect. It seems all involved were good sailors and nice people, lets keep away from opinions that only will spark anger. Reminds me of the Wingnuts thread.

#270 Foghorn77

Foghorn77

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

Fair winds to the lost and thoughts and prayers to friends and loved ones.

Is it too much for the socially retarded to have some grace on threads like these? Give it a break.

#271 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

tempted not to post this but here goes...

Had lunch yesterday with friends all directly affected my the tragic events. I arrived about 10 minutes ahead of everyone else. Standing in line in front of me was a couple who both had shirts on that said SF Search & Rescue and USCG. I asked if they were both involved in Saturdays search and after a very uncomfortable moment they replied yes. I simply said thank you for bringing 4 of our friends home and working tirelessly trying to find the others. That's all.

#272 bwana

bwana

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Had lunch yesterday with friends all directly affected my the tragic events. I arrived about 10 minutes ahead of everyone else. Standing in line in front of me was a couple who both had shirts on that said SF Search & Rescue and USCG. I asked if they were both involved in Saturdays search and after a very uncomfortable moment they replied yes. I simply said thank you for bringing 4 of our friends home and working tirelessly trying to find the others. That's all.

Well played, man. Nicely done.

#273 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

My thoughts are with the survivors: I hope they do not blame themselves. Accidents happen. And with the families of the lost: may they find comfort.

+1.

#274 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

+1.

+2

#275 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,329 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Well played, man. Nicely done.

+1

times like these expose people for who they really are !

#276 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Gosh that makes me think we should find a way to thank them. I'm glad you had occasion to do so, DB.
Had dinner last night with same (as you likely know :)) and had a chance to reflect and laugh and cry some more. Man this is tough.

#277 tls

tls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

Rather than attempting to censor the discussion by personally insulting folks who start to speculate about the causes of this tragedy, why don't you just address their arguments?

Did Low Speed Chase get too close to the rocks? Obviously. We know that because she is up on the rocks. But we have almost no information about why? For all we know, she was well offshore when she lost crew overboard and did not get into the shoal area until she was attempting recovery and sailing shorthanded. I think people should be free to speculate about the causes in this thread, but they should be called out on their assumptions, biases, and baseless attempts to cast blame.

From my perspective, I don't understand how any of the posters can know what the ultimate causes were. I don't know what line they attempted to sail around the island. I don't know why they chose that route over alternatives. I don't know if the wave that first swept the crew overboard was one a series of breaking waves at that location or if that one rose out of nowhere from a complex pattern of interactions. I don't know if tethers would have helped or resulted in additional fatalities. I don't know if personal EPIRBs would have helped (except perhaps to locate the dead bodies, cold comfort).

They may have made a series of very prudent decisions, that nevertheless ended in tragedy. Some of the posts are by folks who seem to be motivated to believe that an error of judgment must be to blame. Maybe there was such an error, maybe there wasn't. We may never know.

It is a smug and pleasant fiction to believe that life is fair -- that these deaths must be the consequent of foolishness or recklessness. But folks die in spite of superior judgement and preparation. This is true on land, it's true in the air, and it is true on the water.

#278 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

Just had a 3 hour lunch/reunion with 5 of the 7 left from our 1980 Vic/Maui crew. Toasts for our mates that are gone, and the missing crew lost at the Farallones. Sad.

#279 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Gosh that makes me think we should find a way to thank them. I'm glad you had occasion to do so, DB.
Had dinner last night with same (as you likely know :)) and had a chance to reflect and laugh and cry some more. Man this is tough.

I've been liking their Social Media pages and adding gratitude to them in condolences messages. The the Air NG 129th rescue wing as well. For the ones I know personally I've sent personal message and it was appreciated.

#280 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

Dixie,

Just to let you know, there is something already being put together for just this purpose. More details will follow soon.

PM me, and I will fill you in on the current plans this evening.

-MH

#281 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,329 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

water.

waste of blabish here as those wanting to hear it are "Over Here"

#282 GABA

GABA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Rather than attempting to censor the discussion by personally insulting folks who start to speculate about the causes of this tragedy, why don't you just address their arguments?

Did Low Speed Chase get too close to the rocks? Obviously. We know that because she is up on the rocks. But we have almost no information about why? For all we know, she was well offshore when she lost crew overboard and did not get into the shoal area until she was attempting recovery and sailing shorthanded. I think people should be free to speculate about the causes in this thread, but they should be called out on their assumptions, biases, and baseless attempts to cast blame.

From my perspective, I don't understand how any of the posters can know what the ultimate causes were. I don't know what line they attempted to sail around the island. I don't know why they chose that route over alternatives. I don't know if the wave that first swept the crew overboard was one a series of breaking waves at that location or if that one rose out of nowhere from a complex pattern of interactions. I don't know if tethers would have helped or resulted in additional fatalities. I don't know if personal EPIRBs would have helped (except perhaps to locate the dead bodies, cold comfort).

They may have made a series of very prudent decisions, that nevertheless ended in tragedy. Some of the posts are by folks who seem to be motivated to believe that an error of judgment must be to blame. Maybe there was such an error, maybe there wasn't. We may never know.

It is a smug and pleasant fiction to believe that life is fair -- that these deaths must be the consequent of foolishness or recklessness. But folks die in spite of superior judgement and preparation. This is true on land, it's true in the air, and it is true on the water.

+ 1
Well said.

#283 coupdetat

coupdetat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

Sometime at eve when the tide is low,
I shall slip my mooring and sail away
With no response to the friendly hail
Of kindred craft in the busy bay.

In the silent hush of the twilight pale
When the night stoops down to embrace the day
And the voices call in the water’s flow….
Sometime at eve when the tide is low
I shall slip my mooring and sail away.

Through the purpling shadows that darkly trail
O’er the ebbing tide of the Unknown Sea,
I shall fare me away, with a dip of sail
And ripple of waters to tell the tale
Of a lonely voyager, sailing away
To the Mystic Isles where at anchor lay
The crafts of those who have sailed before
O’er the Unknown Sea to the Unseen Shore.

A few who have watched me sail away
Will miss my craft from the busy bay;
Some friendly barques that were anchored near,
Some loving souls that my heart held dear,
In silent sorrow will drop a tear-

But I shall have peacefully furled my sail
In moorings sheltered from storm or gale
And greeted the friends who have sailed before
O’er the Unknown Sea to the Unseen Shore.

Elizabeth Clark Hardy

Brian Pickell set the above to music

#284 Scotch Whiskey

Scotch Whiskey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

+ 1
Well said.

At least have enough respect for them that they can work through their grief before you fill the threads with conjecture.

#285 PiperN4467

PiperN4467

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Bob W - Thanks for starting the other thread.

Despite the more typical Sailing Anarchy tenor-ed posts, the predominant sentiments of this thread are important and does continue to expand in support and comfort to survivors and families.

As a family that is still reeling from losing one of the next generation in such an accidental nature, the news is announced with devastating suddenness and your knees buckle and your breathing ceases. The last thing needed is, "I know how you feel", or "I know what happened".

The tragic consequences and loss will be with you always, but someday, little by little, you will realize that there will be:

Fair Winds and Following Seas

Once again, the USCG has accomplished the remarkable.

Ed: can you "clean out" some of the bs posts here? Maybe then we can keep this one open.

I for one have not shared my thoughts here. We were on Ahi and rounding the west side around 1545 when we saw the wreck. It was not as far up the rocks as the sf chron pictures showed it to be the next day, so there must have been some monster waves later.

When we saw it, after a minute of shock, we started scanning for swimmers in the hopes they bailed out of a disabled boat. But we were rounding at about .5 nm and there was nobody.

Later I was second-guessing myself, feeling bad that we didn't try to do more searching, but he report from Green Buffalo for one made me feel better that we just would not have been able to do anything.

It's still a horrible feeling though to know we were so close, but could not reach them.

And I am very grateful to sail with the crew of Ahi under skipper Andy. Times like this are hard, but they bring us closer together. Andy keeps us safe; I'd rather sail with him than just about anyone else.

Bob Walden

#286 JNavas

JNavas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

I've now spoken to the USCG, and the USCG will not be investigating this tragedy.
Because it was a "recreational boating" incident, that will be done by the SFPD: Inspector Dean Taylor

USCG may or may not review the permitting process for the event.
That will be handled by Lieutenant Commander DesaRae A. Janszen, Waterways Management.

So a thorough nautical safety review of the incident seems unlikely.

#287 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

Survivor of fatal yacht accident speaks out*
link

IrishTimes link report about Alan and Elmer

*Also 6 perished in the extreme storm of 1982 but 2 were not in the race

#288 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

John,
We have a nice thread next door in which you are welcome to contribute your opinions. This thread,is NOT the place. Here we're remembering our friends, not analyzing their deaths. We've asked nicely. Now please, go to the other thread and make yourself at home.

We all thank you.

N.S.

#289 Ahi Tuna

Ahi Tuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

I think some of us are missing the point here, myself included. I have had a couple of days dealing with the 'business' of the incident with the YRA team, a vigil, dodging reporters, dealing with a couple etc.

Finally today I was able to get a little bit caught up with my thoughts and emotions.

What I am working on taking away from this is that life is short, fragile and precious. It really has little to do with sailboats, the island or any other details.

For the people that lost someone this is a life altering event to be sure. If you know any of them please do what you can to comfort them and help them through what must be an agonizing and surreal time. The survivors especially must be going through very hard times. I can't imaging what they might be going through because if I try I start to freak out.

For the rest of us who did not personally know those directly effected I'd like to reiterate something I read here or elsewhere over the last few days.

NOW is the time to go to the people you care about and who care about you and let them know how much you do care. Give your spouse/partner/etc an extra long hug. Yell at the kids a little less and give them a hug even though they might not deserve it or understand it. None of us is getting out of this world alive, like it or not.

Do it now because unfortunately as we see here the day may come when you wish you had.

#290 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

broomed some posts away in respect for the lost. Please be respectful in here, save your other stuff for the other thread. Thanks much.

#291 wingnut

wingnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

+1

As one who has been in the water, been rescued and lost fellow crew members, I can sympathize with the survivors. This tragedy has brought back a rush of feelings and my condolences to the families of those lost and I wish strength to the survivors. Not a day goes by since last July 18th that my thoughts haven't been brought back to that event or thoughts of those lost. It is hard to wrap your head around how this changes one's life. I definitely give more hugs to my family.

#292 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,329 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

broomed some posts away in respect for the lost. Please be respectful in here, save your other stuff for the other thread. Thanks much.

Salvage may be delayed months.

Broom on isle #292 please Posted Image

#293 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

Salvage may be delayed months.

I am continually reminded just exactly how much authority conservation folks have around here. I am all for conservation but I really don't see how salvage couldn't be done in an environmentally responsible manner- especially if its an airlift....then again we converted excess parking spaces in SF into a lovely duck pond for a mere 30M$(?) too. 2 birds with one stone- eliminated extra money and parking spaces all at once! It really is a nice duck pond- I keep looking for golden eggs

#294 Bob W

Bob W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

John...Andy... Please, take this to the other thread
http://forums.sailin...howtopic=134043

Consider this like a wake...you don't come in here to pick at the gory details. Consider the other thread--which I have not looked in since opening--like the corner bar down the street from the wake. Go over there to let it all hang out--it's the right place for it.

Rest of us...when someone says something uncouth here--roll your eyes and ignore. Quoting it and trashing them here just exacerbates it.

#295 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

Nice TV2 report w local sailors Adam, Tom, Ron. Nicely done . SFPD comments also..interviews of crew completed

link

#296 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

This was such a terrible accident that happened...My heart goes out to the families of the lost yachtsmen..Everybody has had quite a bit of input ..but no body has stepped up to the plate about the families of this accident...Or has talked about setting up a fund to help the families that have been torn apart...So how about the children ...We need to start up a fund no matter how mu,ch money you can afford to help with the everyday needs of the families..How about it...some body must be in banking or some financial occupation that could set up a fund of any donations....then when that is set up ..I know things are tight for many of us..but let's step up to the plate and help these families...anything 10 bucks ,5 anything..I am sure will help.....How about it? Think of it this way...that could be your family. That has just lost YOU...How about a little help here? What will it take to help to set this up..or I can do it ..but need to know where toset it up...How about some positive input into this...

#297 Floraseña

Floraseña

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Flying, Music

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

My thoughts are with you all in the San Francisco Bay Area and with all those who feel the loss of our fellow sailors.

#298 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

More brooming. Please just give the arguing a rest, and know that it makes it a lot more time consuming when you all respond to something you don't like. I'll get it, just leave it alone.

tls, you can trust that we will continue to pay attention to the conjecture thread, and will keep sending interested people into both.

#299 adjuvantjfoster

adjuvantjfoster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Marine tech support

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Wed April 18 San Francisco Chronicle had an article with 28 pictures detailing the boat wreckage and the people aboard.

http://imgs.sfgate.c...G1334634153.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.c...C0110271380.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.c...C0110271336.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.c...C0110271372.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.c...C0110271358.jpg

28 images in all.

The first and the last images tell the story

http://www.sfgate.co...C0110271358.jpg

#300 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Wed April 18 San Francisco Chronicle had an article with 28 pictures detailing the boat wreckage and the people aboard.

http://imgs.sfgate.c...C0110271380.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.c...C0110271336.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.c...C0110271372.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.c...C0110271358.jpg

28 images in all.

The first and the last images tell the story

http://www.sfgate.co...C0110271358.jpg

I thought they rounded to port not starboard as shown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users