325 replies to this topic

#1 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

Just heard on the tv news that a oat was on the rocks at the FarallonesJust. Reported one lost life several missing. Coast Guard rescue in process. Anybody have any news? I know the crewed FarallonesJust race was today.

#2 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

I've heard there was major carnage on the Farallones race today from SF and back. Low Speed Chase is on the rock and know nothing of the safety of the crew.

If anyone knows anything, please post it ASAP.

Thoughts and prayers to the crew.

I also heard Quiver suffered stanchion failure early in the race but everyone was safe. Anything else happen?

#3 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

1 dead, 3 missing. Tragic :(

http://abclocal.go.c...isco&id=8621228

#4 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

UPDATE:

Within moments of posting I found this:

not good at all.

#5 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:delete account

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

What are the weather conditions in that area.?Water temperature.? That is bad news indeed.

UPDATE:

Within moments of posting I found this:

not good at all.

#6 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Here is a link to the San Francisco buoy, about halfway to the Farallons: http://www.ndbc.noaa...p?station=46026

Waves: 10.5 Ft
Wind: 17.5 Kt NW
Water Temperature: 51.8 °F

So sad.

#7 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

water is about 50 there. we had laser norcals about 30 miles south of there and we saw 30kt

I hope the sailors that didnt make it home RIP.

#8 superduperbow

superduperbow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

Man That sucks. At least the CG and ANG were able to get out and save the 3 so far. hope the others still missing turn up soon and OK

#9 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

http://www.pacificcup.org/node/485

#10 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

We leave the dock with a lot of 'piss and vinegar" and forget these tragedies can happen. Regrets, condolences and a ton of tears to loved ones.

#11 opusone

opusone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

I've heard there was major carnage on the Farallones race today from SF and back. Low Speed Chase is on the rock and know nothing of the safety of the crew.

If anyone knows anything, please post it ASAP.

Thoughts and prayers to the crew.

I also heard Quiver suffered stanchion failure early in the race but everyone was safe. Anything else happen?

Keep us posted - very sad news indeed.

opusone

#12 dog of war

dog of war

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:sailing fast

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

It was a "Sporty" day out there today. Some lives were lost and some boats broken. Sad news,the boats can be fixed but those lost are gone forever hard to wrap my mind around......hug the ones you love!!!

#13 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

Thoughts are with the sailors and the families.

#14 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

Yes, tough news. Cheers to my crew that would have pushed on but didn't peep once about my decision to turn around. I love you guys.

#15 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

Damn...

from SF Gate:

04-14) 18:45 PDT -- One person is dead and three others still missing after a boat involved in a race around the Farallon Islands ran aground this afternoon.

The boating accident involving a 38-foot sailing vessel named the Low Speed Chase was reported around 3 p.m., according to U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Levi Read.

A Coast Guard helicopter was able to rescue two people from the rocks on the islands this afternoon, and an Air National Guard helicopter rescued another person, Read said.

A fourth person pulled from the water has been pronounced deceased, and another three people are still unaccounted for.

The Coast Guard has two boats on the scene, still searching for the boat's remaining occupants.

#16 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

Yes, tough news. Cheers to my crew that would have pushed on but didn't peep once about my decision to turn around. I love you guys.

What was it like out there?

#17 haggers

haggers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Yacht Racing

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

Any Idea who was on the boat and who is missing?

#18 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

Thanks but i'll raise my glass to Jim Bradford (SFYC) and the crew of Low Speed Chase, and save the toast to your crew for another day #smh
Attached File  ba-yachtrace15_P_SFC0101583953.jpg   54.58K   310 downloads

#19 dog of war

dog of war

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:sailing fast

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

1334461471[/url]' post='3673110']

Right back at you brother!!!!!

#20 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

It was blowing all night and when leaving the dock @ 7:30a it was already blowing 23k gusting to 27k. Light winds until Pt. Bonito then it was full on. Building seas feed by a Ebb created some quite large sets on the way out. Upwind with the Ebb we had the speed over ground at 10-11.5k. Called in the dismasted boat we saw on course shortly after we pulled the plug ourselves.

#21 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,685 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

It was blowing all night and when leaving the dock @ 7:30a it was already blowing 23k gusting to 27k. Light winds until Pt. Bonito then it was full on. Building seas feed by a Ebb created some quite large sets on the way out. Upwind with the Ebb we had the speed over ground at 10-11.5k. Called in the dismasted boat we saw on course shortly after we pulled the plug ourselves.

Wow just read the news. I have spent lots of hours mixing it up with those guys in the midwinters. Good boat really hope we hear some good news, but it sounds like it went bad in a big way. That damn rock pile is jagged as hell get in a little close and you just never know what you might drop in on off a large swell. Shit this is bad news.

#22 flotsam66

flotsam66

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Wow. We nearly drift/ sailed onto their anchor line shortly after we started. They must have been caught down current and were waiting on enough fill to get back to fthe line. As Solo said, very much full on once you got outside. So sad. Prayers for the families.

#23 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:delete account

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

Thanks Valis. Most of us here know those numbers are doable sailing a boat. They don't work so well when you find yourself in the water. Pretty messed up situation. Makes you sick looking at the pictures of the region where those sailors are in trouble. Not a good start for 2012.

Here is a link to the San Francisco buoy, about halfway to the Farallons: http://www.ndbc.noaa...p?station=46026

So sad.

#24 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

Bad day on the water. We only blew up a jib and our steering.

#25 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

Very sad. If the 3 still missing are still alive and in the water, I feel for them right now.. in the dark, waves bouncing back off the rocks like a washing machine, the prospect of getting pounded on the rocks, and great whites. Not a nice thought. Thoughts go out to family and friends : (

#26 JustDroppingBy

JustDroppingBy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

So sad.

Sitting on the 10.5 waiting on the other half to break was about right today.

#27 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Offshore passages, new landfalls

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

Sad, sad, sad!

#28 opusone

opusone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

Very sad. If the 3 still missing are still alive and in the water, I feel for them right now.. in the dark, waves bouncing back off the rocks like a washing machine, the prospect of getting pounded on the rocks, and great whites. Not a nice thought. Thoughts go out to family and friends : (

More bad news if true - the news says there are 4 still missing, not 3, crew of 8 total.

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/1-dies-four-missing-in-yacht-racing/41e58706feca1462558fe432ded60138

Very sad day -

opusone

#29 SMP

SMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

More bad news if true - the news says there are 4 still missing, not 3, crew of 8 total.

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/1-dies-four-missing-in-yacht-racing/41e58706feca1462558fe432ded60138

Very sad day -

opusone

The problem with today's media is they are not good with checking the facts. Most of the local info down here has three lost. Let's hope for the lowest number possible. I know James well and this is truly tragic.

#30 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,308 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

I had my #1 camera completely trashed by a saltwater drenching 7' off the water inside San Diego Bay today

I was Bummed but kept in mind "It can always be worse"

So So SAD to hear about what those guys suffered

puts my little financial inconvenience into perspective

You REALLY Never Know Posted Image

#31 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

http://www.oregonliv...58fe432ded60138

Very sad day -

opusone

The problem with today's media is they are not good with checking the facts. Most of the local info down here has three lost. Let's hope for the lowest number possible. I know James well and this is truly tragic.

Some reports have it that he was not on board - I don't know the accuracy of this information but do know complete crew lists are required by the OA to enter the race.

#32 Doc Häagen-Dazs

Doc Häagen-Dazs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

This is sad.....The best we can do is learn as much as possible about what went wrong.

#33 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

Thank goodness for those mandatory EPRIBs.

#34 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Posted Image

Thank goodness for those mandatory EPRIBs.

This is very sad.
USCG on CNN now saying 4 crew were washed overboard by a wave. Boat turned around to rescue them and
was hit by second large wave and pushed onto rocks. Still 3 more lost.

Not a very friendly lee shore in storm conditions.

#35 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Gosh, that's terrible news.

Thirs news report seems to have a lot more detail.

Sure hope they find the remaining missing crew.

#36 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Here's some additional non-information ...
http://usnews.msnbc....t-race-accident

#37 sailingk8

sailingk8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Just saw the news and came in here... Prays and hope for a better outcome sent to the families and friends. Scary stuff.

#38 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

This is very sad news. For those of you that know them, please extend condolences from us at SA to family and friends.

#39 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Terrible news.
For those of us not familiar with the area or the Farallones, how close can you get to them in typical conditions?
How deep is the water in the area?
How tall are the islands?
Do the SI's require rounding any waypoints as stand-off marks?

#40 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

I am still in a state of disbelief in this great personal loss. All of your caring words mean a lot. Remember as posts go forward that a lot of grieving friends and family will be here.

#41 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Shadow,

The island is the mark, there are no offset buoys. The water is relatively deep quite close to the rock. It's been some years since I've been in the Bay Area, but my recollection is that you're off soundings only 100 yards west of the surf line. There have been other boats lost rounding, and a few harrowing rescues in the surf line. However, there's really no problem with a safe rounding even in big seas unless you cut it quite close. That said, the whole approach can be deceiving and it's easy to get suckered into making the turn too soon if you're not really clear on where you are and the orientation of the island, especially if you're pinching hard to lay it instead of throwing in one last pair of tacks.

What is really clear is that the surf can be monsterous and it comes up quickly. Being just 20 yards too close can make the difference between a nice round ground swell and a heaping big breaking wave.

#42 jonoflewis

jonoflewis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

I am still in a state of disbelief in this great personal loss. All of your caring words mean a lot. Remember as posts go forward that a lot of grieving friends and family will be here.

We raced in company with this boat and crew last year in this same race, on "Dark and Stormy", 1D 35. Our best wishes and regards to crew and families of crew, and we are praying for all involved...
JH

#43 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Fucking awful. All hope that the morning light brings more people home.

#44 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Shadow,

The island is the mark, there are no offset buoys. The water is relatively deep quite close to the rock. It's been some years since I've been in the Bay Area, but my recollection is that you're off soundings only 100 yards west of the surf line. There have been other boats lost rounding, and a few harrowing rescues in the surf line. However, there's really no problem with a safe rounding even in big seas unless you cut it quite close. That said, the whole approach can be deceiving and it's easy to get suckered into making the turn too soon if you're not really clear on where you are and the orientation of the island, especially if you're pinching hard to lay it instead of throwing in one last pair of tacks.

What is really clear is that the surf can be monsterous and it comes up quickly. Being just 20 yards too close can make the difference between a nice round ground swell and a heaping big breaking wave.

Unfortunately I think there will be some hard questions on this one for which no need to speculate.

Some of the OYRA Cat2 amendments seem curious to me.
http://www.yra.org/OYRA/docs/OYRA_MinEquipmentList.pdf

Do some of thse races require life rafts? Might not have helped in this case anyway.

http://www.yra.org/OYRA/docs/SailingInstructions/Farallones-2012.pdf

#45 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Shadow,

Thanks Duster.

#46 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,840 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Farallons

wiki farallons

Posted Image

#47 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

I believe the long distance races like the Coastal Cup now require rafts. The Farallones does not.

I can't imagine a raft could have been launched if, as the reports suggest, the boat wound up in the surf line.

#48 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

Here's a nice Google Map satelite photo of South East Farallone Island that shows it's east-west orientation. The rock is rounded to port. You can see how it's easy to start rounding too early and wind up in trouble - although what looks like a cove in this photo is quite different from how it all looks from the water. The tricky part to gauge is how far to go past Maintop Island before turning south and then east. The swell really piles up on the north-west corner of Maintop.

On the trip back in, it's possible to cut inside Seal Rock and that's rarely a problem even in big seas.

#49 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

"Unfortunately I think there will be some hard questions on this one for which no need to speculate." (M44)

I agree there is no need to speculate, however I would not cast blame towards the oyra. The conditions the racers encountered yesterday are common for oyra races. Breaking waves can be encountered far from shore in the gulf of the farallones. Any inference that this tragic incident was the fault of the race organization, or the crew aboard, is just wrong.

Sailors who have raced in these events will back me up on this.

My condolences to the lost sailor's families.

#50 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,994 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

merged topics.

#51 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,994 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

#52 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

JHC,

It's certainly premature to apportion any blame, and it's not possible to see how the organizers might possibly share in any of it. But without more details, it's not yet possible to exonerate the crew.

#53 SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Some of the OYRA Cat2 amendments seem curious to me.
http://www.yra.org/OYRA/docs/OYRA_MinEquipmentList.pdf

I think there's some formatting errors there, with italic recommendations using "OYRA Prescribes..." language, but nothing that seems relavent to this case.

Sad day, all around.

#54 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Tragic. Very sorry to hear about this. Condolences to family and friends.

#55 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

"Unfortunately I think there will be some hard questions on this one for which no need to speculate." (M44)

I agree there is no need to speculate, however I would not cast blame towards the oyra. The conditions the racers encountered yesterday are common for oyra races. Breaking waves can be encountered far from shore in the gulf of the farallones. Any inference that this tragic incident was the fault of the race organization, or the crew aboard, is just wrong.

Sailors who have raced in these events will back me up on this.

My condolences to the lost sailor's families.

I believe the long distance races like the Coastal Cup now require rafts. The Farallones does not.

I can't imagine a raft could have been launched if, as the reports suggest, the boat wound up in the surf line.

Nobody is implying fault of the OYRA or race sponsor. Thats a leap. I just found it odd in general.
If I understand it correctly, the OYRA default Cat 2 amendment is no liferaft requirement, then its up to the race sponsor to put it back in or not. On the right coast its the other way around. Most coastal races here that will take you 20 miles offshore require liferafts and are in much warmer water. And they are around inhabited islands with rescue resources at hand. The president vacations at one of them. Sounds like tethers would have been more useful than a raft. Liferafts save lives but kill entries.

From the USCG interview it seems like they got a bit too close and got into those bigger seas, where the 4 guys were
washed off. Then the boat went in to attempt a rescue and got caught in it. I agree that wether it would have helped or not in this case is only speculation. And I guess its a short day race and normally wouldnt be an issue. But seems like its in cold water and can get nasty and things can go tits up in a hurry. With FOUR crew in the water heading for rocks, its a horrible situation and you're throwing everything in the water you can including a raft.

Condolences to all the familes of the lost.

#56 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

"On the trip back in, it's possible to cut inside Seal Rock and that's rarely a problem even in big seas." (moonduster)

You, are an idiot.

#57 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

This is a very sad occurrence, and I also extend condolences to family and friends of these sailors.

I also think that we have enough experience with how these things play out on the forum, that it might be best to have separate condolences and discussion threads.

#58 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

This is a very sad occurrence, and I also extend condolences to family and friends of these sailors.

I also think that we have enough experience with how these things play out on the forum, that it might be best to have separate condolences and discussion threads.

good point. i'm shutting up now.

#59 wabbiteer

wabbiteer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,351 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Everyone please heed Dixie.

Nothing good will come from speculation.

#60 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

I would like to also ask that people not over speculate, or start parsing the OYRA regulations, or make assertions that the lost vessel was rounding to port (as in this race it was legal to round to starboard, as we did.) The surviving crew and eyewitnesses will have their statements in the right hands soon enough.

We were rounding (with the island to starboard) about 0.5 nm out. The sea state even there was rough and unpredictable, especially when on port tack. The waves were breaking white far up on the rocks even on the lee side of the island. I myself was on the other side of the boat at the time and did not see the wreck. But media reports saying 'run aground' should probably read 'forced aground'.

As to passing inside Seal Rock, the whole area there was completely white with foam from big breaking waves. Frankly, even at 0.5 nm away I for one was pretty nervous. I don't think you could ever tempt me in there no matter what kind of day it was.

#61 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Pogen,

You're correct - the fully crewed Sailing Instructions allow rounding to either Port or Starboard. The Singlehanded and Doublehanded races are Port roundings. Mea culpa.

#62 bluhorizan

bluhorizan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Came across this post earlier:
Lucie Mewes provides some insight to what occoured:"I spoke with a Cal 40 crew member who confirmed rumors that waves were quite steep, a powerful northern swell. The 38 was closer to the island, a large wave caught the boat which apparently pitchpoled as they were attempting to sail out from the cove. No names have been released to the rumor mill other than it is rumored that the skipper entered was not on the boat."

#63 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Very sad and a reminder to all that sail. Deepest condolences to all impacted.

#64 SL33_SF

SL33_SF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

What I did not expect, when I was out there the first time (DHF 2010), was that it also breaks quite far south of the Middle Farallon, on a big day.
So there is a limit on how wide you can round.
The seas get very irregular and confused, so unless you trust your GPS (hmmmm) it can be difficult to judge how close is 'safe'.
Attached File  farallones.PNG   497.7K   289 downloads

#65 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

The chartlet that SL33 posted has soundings in Fathoms. Here's another chartlet with soundings in Feet. Neither has very good resolution ...

#66 BBurrito

BBurrito

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Sailed with these guys a few years ago.

So sad to hear.

#67 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,685 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

For those not familiar with the island even when your out a distance the wave action around the island can be pretty confused. So even if your out a distance on a mellow day you can get some big rollers that wil shake you up pretty good. Terrible accident and really hope we get some good news.

#68 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

The island has a string of shoals to the NW of it that can break, or at the very least cause significant steepening of the waves. It's common to see white water on both sides of the boat when directly to the NW of the island on a rough day. The 10 fathom bump just NW of the island is particularly noteworthy as seas can mound up on it when the wave are large. That said, there is an area with deep water that is easily wide enough to pass through. Many of us have done it safely for many many years. These were good sailors and friends who knew how to avoid these problems. There's more to this that will come out. Things we can all learn from.

All our thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones and our hope is that the missing will be found. The lost will be dearly missed.

BV

#69 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Condolences.

Ocean Racing outside SF Bay. Gnarly.

#70 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,649 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

• Tragic - just tragic.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A powerful wave swept four crew members off a sailboat during a race near San Francisco, leaving one person dead and four others missing, the Coast Guard said early Sunday.

The eight-member crew aboard the 38-foot Low Speed Chase was participating in a yacht race from San Francisco Bay around the Farallon Islands on Saturday afternoon as their craft ran aground.

Seas were running high at 10-12 feet when the Low Speed Chase was hit by a larger wave and the four were washed overboard, Coast Guard Petty Officer Levi Read said.

"They turned the boat around to go rescue those people and they got hit by another wave," sending the boat onto rocks, he said.

A Mayday call reporting the accident went out at about 3 p.m. PDT.

Coast Guard and National Guard helicopters and water craft rescued three crew members who were clinging to rocks, Read said. The body of the other crew member was pulled from the water.

A Coast Guard helicopter, a cutter and a smaller boat were searching the waters around the islands, 27 miles west of San Francisco, as well as shoreline areas early Sunday for the missing crew members.

Dozens of boats were registered for the Full Crew Farallones Race, running from the St. Francis Yacht Club on San Francisco Bay to the islands and back, about 60 miles round trip, Read said.

Rescuers found the three crew members on or near the shore clinging to rocks, about 300 feet from where their vessel was breaking up because of the powerful waves, he said.

They were wearing life vests and cold weather gear — equipment that gave rescuers hope in the search for the missing.

"There is the possibility that the other four were also in the same kind of gear," Read said.

He said he didn't know if the four missing were the same crew members who were swept from the boat.

The search was expected to continue through the night, as long as there was a chance there were survivors, the Coast Guard said.

The names of the eight crew members were not released, and there was no immediate word on the condition of the three survivors.

The Yacht Racing Association of San Francisco Bay expressed sympathy for the dead crew member and hope for those missing.

"We offer our thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of the missing crew in hopes they are returned home safely," the association said in a statement on its website.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Low Speed Chase is based out of the San Francisco Yacht Club, located in Marin County's Belvedere Cove. The manager of the club declined immediate comment.

#71 katzen

katzen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

So sad, any word on the remaining crew today? I know the conditions weren't the best for survival, but hoping.

#72 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Do some of thse races require life rafts? Might not have helped in this case anyway.

Would not have helped on a lee shore, with breaking waves once your caught inside.

#73 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,685 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Low cloud deck this morning isnt helping

#74 re-psycled

re-psycled

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:great offshore racing

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Heard a rumor that other boats saw it happening and sailed on because “wasn’t much we could do in that sea state”

I would think drop the sails and start the momo and try to get eyes on any floaters until help could come.

Just sailed on ????????

#75 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,308 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

just some FYI for those wondering about the Islands & conditions to deal with regardless of the weather

To get a perspective on the accessibility of any landing check @ 2min in to see the "Only" way to get from the water to safe land that is used to this day

check @ 131 if you were thinking about dropping a hook to keep from washing ashore

What a Heart Break Situation this is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a

BIG SHOUT OUT TO THE SAR Folks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#76 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Heard a rumor that other boats saw it happening and sailed on because “wasn’t much we could do in that sea state”

I would think drop the sails and start the momo and try to get eyes on any floaters until help could come.

Just sailed on ????????

Such a horrible event. Condolences to the friends and families. Yeah. I would hope that I would have the ability and frame of mind to stand by. I can envision a situation in which that would be difficult or even dangerous, though.

#77 NoobyDoo

NoobyDoo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

"On the trip back in, it's possible to cut inside Seal Rock and that's rarely a problem even in big seas." (moonduster)

You, are an idiot.

Amen.

#78 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Don't know where you heard that. I know of at least one boat that stood by reporting to the uscg in the first hour of the incident.

#79 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Heard a rumor that other boats saw it happening and sailed on because "wasn't much we could do in that sea state"

Just sailed on ????????

WTF? Speculation on rumors is not constructive at this point.

#80 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

A (hopefully) more detailed chart of the area of the Southeast Farallon islands: Maintop Bay. Soundings are in Fathoms. The distance from NW shore of Maintop Island (the left most piece of big island) to the 10-fathom round shoal further to the NW is approximately 1600 yards (about 0.9 miles) to provide some sense of scale.

Posted Image

NOAA Chart HERE

Farallon Island web Cab (which appears to be down at the moment) HERE

#81 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

A (hopefully) more detailed chart of the area of the Southeast Farallon islands: Maintop Bay. Soundings are in Fathoms. The distance from NW shore of Maintop Island (the left most piece of big island) to the 10-fathom round shoal further to the NW is approximately 1600 yards (about 0.9 miles) to provide some sense of scale.

Posted Image

NOAA Chart HERE

Farallon Island web Cab (which appears to be down at the moment) HERE

IWindsurf shows the wind on the island yesterday as being WNW to NW ~15-20mph.

with that wind direction, what would a typical course around the island look like, in the sea state that was reported?

are you inside that 10 fathom shoal?

#82 JustDroppingBy

JustDroppingBy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

If there were multiple man overboards from the boat at that time, then it would be a nearly automatic reaction to try and get them back onboard. The whole thing happened so quickly, and so confusingly, that a life raft would not have helped the situation, other than to take the crew that was still onboard away from trying to get to people in the water back onto the boat. The sea state on the back side of the island at that time was pretty ugly, regardless of whether you were rounding the island to port or starboard, and as multiple boats radioed in to the CG, there was no way for us to help, since it was not possible to go in after them.

It's a tragic situation and a terrible accident.

#83 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Just sailed on ????????

Casting aspersions upon the other racers when you know absolutely jack shit about the situation marks you as a real douchebag. Fuck off.

#84 re-psycled

re-psycled

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:great offshore racing

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Heard a rumor that other boats saw it happening and sailed on because "wasn't much we could do in that sea state"

Just sailed on ????????

More than rumer, Quotation marks are direct quote

#85 NoobyDoo

NoobyDoo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

http://www.oceangraf...oom?chart=18645

#86 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Just sailed on ????????

More than rumer, Quotation marks are direct quote

"SHUT IT" Did you see my quotes?

#87 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,308 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Just sailed on ????????

Such a horrible event. Condolences to the friends and families. Yeah. I would hope that I would have the ability and frame of mind to stand by. I can envision a situation in which that would be difficult or even dangerous, though.

We have different choices available to us @ our keyboards today in the calm Sunshine

1 boat on the rocks & 3-4 missing is better than 2 boats on the rocks and 12 missing

sailed on sounds like "chose to not help or get involved" (doubt that was the case)

if another boat was following the same route at the same time

and witnessed what happened to the boat trying to do the rescue in front of them

perhaps their only choice was to fight their way out - I'm sure they did what they thought was possible for them to do given the choices at hand at the time

I can't believe anyone doing that race would be a whimp or not have the desire to help others as well as expecting others to do what they could to help

Farallones are Not People friendly.

Man is not at the top of the chain battling Nature on a Bad Day in a Bad Place Posted Image

#88 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Racers heard quite soon on VHF that a USCG helo was on the way. TWS was 25 kts, and big rollers were breaking as far out as 0.25 nm or further from the shore of Maintop Bay, both from the NW.

#89 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

With a NW breeze, I can't imagine anything other than a port rounding, although some obviously rounded to starboard. It generally works best to tack up the coast outside the gate to the north a bit and then flop onto starboard. You tend to get lifted as you approach the rock.

Passing along the north side, you'd almost certainly be outside the 10 fathom line. The problem is that I would think most people tend to eyeball the rounding based on the surf line and don't use a sequence of waypoints or even the sounder to pick their track around the rock. I've certainly been well inside the 10 fathom line heading south on the western side of the island when the sea is relatively calm. On a big day, you'd stay well west.

#90 bluhorizan

bluhorizan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Coast Guard rescue: http://www.youtube.c...&v=bHErjWPEwpw#!

#91 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (Duh!)

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

merged topics.

Alan, please update the link on the front page, it's now broken...

#92 robmur

robmur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

my thoughts and prayers to the crew, their friends and families. tragic.

#93 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Condolences to remaining crew and families.

#94 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

going to be a long day for all the friends, family and sailing community here in SF Bay. People are shaken to the core.

There are a lot of rumors floating around right now so can we all please wait for the facts to surface and statements to be issued.

Please keep the comments above board and try not to speculate

Thank You

#95 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Condolences to those of you who have lost a crewmate, friend or family member. Such a sad day for so many people in the racing community.
I'm keeping fingers crossed that others may still be found alive. That thought might seem to be slightly generous in hope, but you hear some amazing stories of survival. I know they won't give up searching until it is established to be futile.

No matter how prepared, how sea savvy and experienced we are, there is ALWAYS an element to which we have no control over. Whether it be breaking waves which are steeper, higher and more forceful than previous ones, or a sudden forceful wave coming from a strange angle, barometric pressure changing more quickly than forecast or predicted, containers or whales that we can hit etc...It's the nature of sailing.

We as individuals all make our own decisions to race, or not. There is always some degree of risk involved. There is also risk in walking to the store or driving to work, too.

Thoughts and support to family, crew-mates and friends.

#96 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold detecting, meteorite hunting.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Son of a bitch! Condolences to remaining crew and families.

Second the, stop with the fucking armchair quarterbacking.

Find something else to do for a couple of days people.

Hope some good news comes out this morning.

#97 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Pogen and Nick I am glad you checked in here as I had heard your names and boat names come up yesterday. I am hard pressed to respond to any of te speculation here, but again suggest it stop and as someone mentioned start another thread.

I cry with every call, though I appreciate them. I called my parents to tell them I was alive as this is now national news and the ripple effect of so many friends lost is tremendous. DogBalls I will see you and the group in a few hours. I'm cutting my little vacation short as I cannot think of anything other than this huge loss to us all.

By the way these are fully competent delightful sailors who love the sea.

#98 Don'tCallMeJudge

Don'tCallMeJudge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Horrific and beyond sad. :(

Another link, this one from the 129th Rescue Wing based at Moffet Field:
Air National Guardsmen aid Coast Guard in rescue mission near Farallon Islands

#99 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Condolences to family and friends.

#100 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,938 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

I hate to see this happen, so sad for everyone involved. Condolences for all the crew and families.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users