Could use some suggestions please. - FAST toawable monohull.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hey guys! I could use some help getting ideas for my next sailboat.

I'm located in SoCal and am looking for a fast PHRF killer monohull easily towable so I can take to the lake or ocean.

Looking at 24-26 ft. and just haven't been able to find the right boat yet.

I've looked at the Evelyn 26 which I found was not easily towable. The Melges 24 didn't quite have enough cabin for my wife to chill out in on the lake during hot lazy summer afternoons.

So far we like the Tripp 26 but there are none available on the West Coast. (But I'll keep looking for one)

Anything out there similar I can search for? Options?

One of our favorite lakes we frequent has launch ramp only so lift launch types are out.

TIA for any help.

:-)

Rondog.

#2 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Posted Image

#3 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Just sold mine.

Faster!!!!!

#4 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Posted Image

LMAO :lol:

I am not sure how much of a cabin your wife wants but if you want fast, cabin and trailer-able you are either going to have to cut back on the cabin or the fast. You simply cannot get both. I assume you want to be able to step the mast yourself as well? Also have no idea on the depth of the ramps you intend to use. Either way you are going to need a shallow draft keel, centerboard or a lifting keel.

Tripp 26 is a good choice for you. I would also look at the Ultimate 20 or the Antrim 24, if you can find one. Antrim 27 is getting a little big to be stepping the mast all the time if you ask me. S2 7.9 might fit. If you want slower but nicer cabin Beneteau First 235. Have you checked out the Catalina 22??? Have fun and good luck!

Oh yea fuck off Newbie and welcome to SA...

#5 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

You just missed the deal of a life time DART is a nice boat built by a great builder up in Washington ST. He just ran a special deal last month lowering the price every day till someone got off the fence and bought it. Search the word "DART" and you'll learn plenty.

Antrim 27 comes to mind but sounds like your looking for a family cruiser with Catalina type interior which case neither is the right boat. Try looking at the Catalina 25's they have a proper head and everything!

#6 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hobie Dog, Thanks!

You know the show exactly!

Little bit more cabin than Melges, little less than a cruiser.

Something you could nap in for an hour or two without hanging yerself in sheets.

;-)

#7 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

That Dart looks pretty kwel.

Found the thread.

I'll research it a bit more.

Thanks!

#8 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Hobie Dog, Thanks!

Something you could nap in for an hour or two without hanging yerself in sheets.

;-)

Sounds like the Ultimate 20 is exactly what you are looking for, definitely a larger cabin than the Melges 24. The rig is easy to deal with as well...

U20guy2, Surprised you are not pimping your ride, I know you really like that boat! :D

#9 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hobie Dog, Thanks!

;-)

Sounds like the Ultimate 20 is exactly what you are looking for, definitely a larger cabin than the Melges 24. The rig is easy to deal with as well...

U20guy2, Surprised you are not pimping your ride, I know you really like that boat! :D

With a pict of a 4th mode type boat on the thread? LOL

By the way I did a SSS event in SF years ago destination event overnight at a club then sail back the next day. My raft up neighbor was a Melgi 24. He was down right pissed at me when he crossed over the U20 on his way to his cubby hole. The sight of me laying stretched out in a over sized sleeping bag on a nice mat - reading a book with a real pillow with the entire cabin lit up with a Craftsman tools battery light. He was so shocked he proceeded to stop turn around come and sit in my companion way and proceed to bitch about his current sleeping arrangement. I was polite but pointed out he wasn't sleeping in my spare 8ft long quarter berth HA HA.

#10 Toolbox

Toolbox

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    Family

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Move to Australia or New Zealand.

There you shall find a plethera of boats to suit your demand. Mostly from the house of one Greg Elliott.

I think there are some examples in the states such as some E770's.

But if you want fast with accomodation try the Stealth 8m bloody fast accom for 4.

Now whilst your trying to find the boats shows us your wife tits Newb.

#11 LakeBoy

LakeBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Slightly longer than your target but a Hobie 33 may fit the bill.

Lift keel for ramp launching.

Nice cabin to chill in.

Reasonably fast

Proven PHRF number that it sails well to

#12 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Now whilst your trying to find the boats shows us your wife tits Newb.

I'd be happy to! Just as soon as I get to see them!

#13 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

I'm located in SoCal and am looking for a fast PHRF killer monohull easily towable so I can take to the lake or ocean.

I've looked at the Evelyn 26 which I found was not easily towable. The Melges 24 didn't quite have enough cabin for my wife to chill out in on the lake during hot lazy summer afternoons.

So far we like the Tripp 26 but there are none available on the West Coast. (But I'll keep looking for one)

One of our favorite lakes we frequent has launch ramp only so lift launch types are out.

TIA for any help.

Rondog.

Lot's of boats available in So Cal.

Olson 30
Hobie 33
B-25
FT-7.5

and so on.

And if you want to check out a Hobie 33 I am sailing Still Crazy (modified H-33) at the Ahmanson Regatta in Newport Beach this weekend.

#14 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

TIA for any help.

Rondog.

Get a Pogo 10.50. Stay at the Ritz Carlton. Sex all night. Win all day.

Olson 30
Hobie 33
B-25
FT-7.5

and so on.

And if you want to check out a Hobie 33 I am sailing Still Crazy (modified H-33) at the Ahmanson Regatta in Newport Beach this weekend.

#15 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

B-25
FT-7.5

and so on.

Thanks Keith. You seem to have a line on the type of boat I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on places to look?

I've just hit the usual CL, SailboatListings, YachtWorld but not finding much.

#16 rgscpat

rgscpat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Interests:sailing, racing, race management, Desert Sea / southwest USA sailing, future of sailing, travel, photography, hiking

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Class/owner websites

#17 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

B-25
FT-7.5

and so on.

Thanks Keith. You seem to have a line on the type of boat I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on places to look?

I've just hit the usual CL, SailboatListings, YachtWorld but not finding much.

Shoot me an email and we can talk

kmagnussen@ullmansails.com

#18 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,613 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

a brand smacking new J70................end of discussion

#19 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

a brand smacking new J70................end of discussion

complete with smokin hot posterior, after burners and understated advertizing :rolleyes:

#20 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

FAST IS FUN

link- hall of fame

link SC27 org

theres a massive thread on SC27 here on SA

#21 SailBlueH2O

SailBlueH2O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

A little late to the party

https://encrypted-tb...JiP-rpErAurI3gA

#22 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

TIA for any help.

Rondog.

What you seek my friend is anything with the name Elliott (7 or 780) or Ross (780).

Both are fast (the Elliott goes like stabbed cat of the off the wind) and hell yes you can even spend 2-4 nights on them in relative comfort.

Finding one on the WC of the States might be very, very tough.

#23 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

:lol:

Check out this video on YouTube:

Sent from my iPad

Can't resist- plane w/o water ballast, see what the local PHRF wise heads do.......

Edit- Swallow Boats

http://www.swallowboats.com/

#24 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

Andrews 28?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 pluto

pluto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Check out the rocket 22. Almost as fast as a melges 24 and a lot more space below.

#26 FOOKINWAVE

FOOKINWAVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Plugged in Les Pual unplugged Taylor
    Design construction international shipping!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

You want a lifting keel or centerboard?

#27 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:girls

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Instead of thinking of it as an interior that your wife would like, think of it more as, What could you live in for a while. See by having a 2nd cabin, it's going to effectively be an aqua dog house sooner rather than later.... And if the wife likes it or not doesnt matter as youre the one that's gonna be living in there, possibly for days.

Speed is good. That way you can make a get away / run for it / cut her lose an still have your own wheels. Maybe because you did something correct but she didnt see it that way, maybe. Because the apocylapse has arrived and she's now a zombie.... I dunno. The sails will make the difference in that 3 am night stealth mission though.

Be prepared sailor

#28 Knotcho

Knotcho

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Poker, Music

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Check out the rocket 22. Almost as fast as a melges 24 and a lot more space below.

i wouldn't go for the Rocket. especially since Olson 30's are more of your "line".

#29 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

There are 3 things everyone looks for in a boat:
SPEED,
COMFORT.
VALUE FOR MONEY.
In reality, pick any two....

#30 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

http://www.bluelightning.co.uk/

This guy has dominated Merlin Rocket design, designs some killer high performance skiffs, and has done planing trailer sailers, including one or two for his own use. Very cool stuff.

#31 LakeBoy

LakeBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

i wouldn't go for the Rocket. especially since Olson 30's are more of your "line".

I know subtle doesn't wrok well here. Looks like he edited out the Olson & Hobie in post #15. I presume they are some other, unstated, requirements...

How about it Rondog, care to give us a bit more information or keep us guessing?

#32 Polaris

Polaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Attached File  Antrim 27.jpg   6.98K   17 downloadsAntrim 27

#33 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

You're correct Lakeboy. Sorry, I should have made that clear. Some of the lakes we frequent have a launchramp only and have a 26 foot maximum so anything over 26 ft. is a no go. (Although I would love to have some of those boats!!!) That's why in my op I put the 24-26 range.

I think 22 is too little of boat so, eh,Ö somewhere 24 through 26ish is about what we would like. Not saying that a 22 Rocket or Capri is bad in any way, but we just got rid of a slow 26 and now feel the need for speed. It would be somewhat difficult to go from the 26 down to a 22 as the lifestyle change on the boat would be too great. We're giving up a lot of time spent under deck to be on the topdeck but don't want to give it up 100%. If that makes any sense. Going down below and having a little lunch out of the sun and/or taking a nap is about all we're looking for as far as cabin.

Did I forget to mention my wife and I have 2 kids, 6 and 8 so that makes it a little more important on the length. Sorry, left that detail out as well. They sometimes need a little nap in the afternoon once in a while but a settee berth w/o table or v-berth is totally fine for that.

If there was a horizontal line graph with comfort all the way to the left, and speed all the way to the right, and 10 increments between them, I would say I'm looking for about a 7 to an 8 to the right.

The Elliot 780 looks awesome! But big bucks. Tripp 26, Ultimate 24, Dart, Beiley2 5, Flying Tiger 7.5 are all seemingly fitting the bill and all deserve more research. There maybe others I missed but I'm getting suggestions faster than I have time to research them! Which is a good thing! Great thread guys! You're all Professors of Sailing for sure!

Fookinwave, in answer to you question, I'm not really sure a lifter or CB is of much concern to us as long as it can be launched at the ramp and is shorter than 27 ft. to abide by the lake rules. But as soon as the words leave my lips, I picture a swing keel being a plus as shallow waters have been known to destroy daggers, albeit I've always watched the depth of my previous boat on the meter as I never wanted to see my swing keel hit bottom. So the short answer is no. Either one would be ok. ;-)

PS. I do want to use the boat in both fresh and salt water so I donít want to give anyone the impression that this is strictly for the lake. It needs to be capable.

#34 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

By the way I did a SSS event in SF years ago destination event overnight at a club then sail back the next day. My raft up neighbor was a Melgi 24. He was down right pissed at me when he crossed over the U20 on his way to his cubby hole. The sight of me laying stretched out in a over sized sleeping bag on a nice mat - reading a book with a real pillow with the entire cabin lit up with a Craftsman tools battery light. He was so shocked he proceeded to stop turn around come and sit in my companion way and proceed to bitch about his current sleeping arrangement. I was polite but pointed out he wasn't sleeping in my spare 8ft long quarter berth HA HA.

Funny, I guess he was not excited about the below deck furler that let in gallons of seawater from the days sail? :lol:

#35 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

... ...

Fookinwave, in answer to you question, I'm not really sure a lifter or CB is of much concern to us as long as it can be launched at the ramp and is shorter than 27 ft. to abide by the lake rules. But as soon as the words leave my lips, I picture a swing keel being a plus as shallow waters have been known to destroy daggers, albeit I've always watched the depth of my previous boat on the meter as I never wanted to see my swing keel hit bottom. So the short answer is no. Either one would be ok. ;-)

PS. I do want to use the boat in both fresh and salt water so I donít want to give anyone the impression that this is strictly for the lake. It needs to be capable.

Lift keels / daggerboards can generally handle grounding. For performance boats, the foil & trunk need to be plenty strong to start with and a high speed grounding can inflict damage on a centerboard / swing keel pivot just easily (or more so). And the bigger slot introduces structural issues (adds drag too) which is why so many performance-oriented boats have lift keels...

There are quite a few Elliott 770s in the US, dunno if any Elliott 780s

Also the Beneteau First Class 8, which does have a swing keel... but also has a keel-stepped mast and they're rather hard to find.

You're already checking on the Flying Tiger 7.5 and the Tripp 26 and the Antrim 24 (not sure how many of these ther are)... it's a shame there are not more options since it seems like a sport-weekender would be the PERFECT boat for many.

FB- Doug

#36 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

... ...

Lift keels / daggerboards can generally handle grounding. For performance boats, the foil & trunk need to be plenty strong to start with and a high speed grounding can inflict damage on a centerboard / swing keel pivot just easily (or more so). And the bigger slot introduces structural issues (adds drag too) which is why so many performance-oriented boats have lift keels...

Also the Beneteau First Class 8, which does have a swing keel... but also has a keel-stepped mast and they're rather hard to find.

You're already checking on the Flying Tiger 7.5 and the Tripp 26 and the Antrim 24 (not sure how many of these ther are)... it's a shame there are not more options since it seems like a sport-weekender would be the PERFECT boat for many.

FB- Doug

Europe, Australia and NewZealand are full of them. I think the boats over there don't have the right look for sailors over here? The Swallow and Callaghan (blue lightning) boats above are good examples, but maybe too much on the dinghy end of things? Raids, among other things, have changed things a lot. But many of them would meet your requirements.

'bye the way, if you are over 5'10", the U20 can be a bit challenging to sleep in 2 up. We loved cruising ours, but the difficulty of crawling into the v berth led to Amati.

#37 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

http://www.bergner-bootsbau.de/

Click on 20er Jollenkruezer on the left side of the page.

Just an example of what is going on in Denmark.

#38 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

... it's a shame there are not more options since it seems like a sport-weekender would be the PERFECT boat for many.

Europe, Australia and NewZealand are full of them.

Yeah I know... the pics & regatta reports drive me crazy. At some point, I will either build my own design (the long fabled "swamp-sportboat") or just make a field trip & pick one to bring back.

I hesitate to say that sailing in the US is retarded, but it certainly seems the majority are looking backwards rather than forwards.

FB- Doug

#39 Blackadder

Blackadder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

Lots of interesting boats in SA classified, Zap 26, Viper 830, J 80, BC 27 (probably too far away)

TIA for any help.

Rondog.

#40 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

FB- Doug

There are about 13 Elliott 770s in the US, most of which are owned by rabid owners who don't want to give them up, at least until you move on or up or retire from racing. I wouldn't call that "quite a few." However, if there is one for sale (one recently sold in florida I think), it meets your requirements.

#41 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Funny, I guess he was not excited about the below deck furler that let in gallons of seawater from the days sail? :lol:

That may have been what he was referring to as his bathtub?

#42 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

.... ...
There are about 13 Elliott 770s in the US, most of which are owned by rabid owners who don't want to give them up, at least until you move on or up or retire from racing. I wouldn't call that "quite a few." However, if there is one for sale (one recently sold in florida I think), it meets your requirements.

Ah, sorry... thought there were more than that

Still, that's more than some of these other boats!

FB- Doug

#43 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

So the SC 27 is excluded because its too long.
If you weren't excluding multihulls. A corsair 24 would fit the ticket

#44 Slap Shot

Slap Shot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

As far as I know there were 2 west coast Tripp26's but they both moved east. One to Florida and one upstate NY. There are 2 Tripp's for sale that I know of on the east coast. Being selfish I hope they stay in the East as I can't imagine you would trailer that far to race OD.

#45 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

It sounds like you are open to a fixed keel, although you'd need to assess how far down the ramp you'd need to go to launch. If so, maybe a J80? Seems to be a good balance between plenty of used inventory, speed and just enough accomodations.

#46 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

FB- Doug

Our First 25.7 has the same lifting keel at the Class 8, and for sure it can take a hard grounding. The mechanism swings back. Actually the First would make a good choice for you, but I think I have the only one in the country.

#47 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Dart 3 is available for purchase.

#48 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

On the Hard,

The launchramps can be pretty flat at some of the lakes around here so I'm kinda swaying away from them.

I am not in a hurry to make this purchase so will prolly either wait a while for something to come up or buy a one way ticket somewhere & rent a U-Haul to drive something in if not too far away.

Would love to bring a Tripp back in! (The Bastards!!!)

;)

#49 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Be careful about LOA. Don't assume the number in the name is the actual length for registration and permit purposes.

#50 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Our First 25.7 has the same lifting keel at the Class 8, and for sure it can take a hard grounding. The mechanism swings back. Actually the First would make a good choice for you, but I think I have the only one in the country.

I bet you do!

#51 Flying Fish

Flying Fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:the next boat

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Good luck with the search. I looked for the same for the past two years though did not have to worry about wife or kids liking the cabin area. There is a major lack of trailerable boats in the US and we are way behind the rest of the sailing world. I can't believe the DART is not selling better but believe it will due to a need.

As you mention a flat ramp you also have to look at depth needed to launch. An example is the Antrim, (even though you state too long) takes about 4 feet of water to launch. A B-25 takes about 3 feet of water. A Rocket can be launched in about 2 feet.

I know you ruled out the Rocket but go look at one. Easy to sail which is needed with two small children. It really meets your needs and has a large cockpit. I saw one for sale on this site for a decent price. Some other ones for sale but priced way too high. Only about 15 built which makes the used market slim.

You must have one understanding and patient wife that will sit with two kids while you raise a mast, launch, rig sails, load supplies, prior to going sailing.

#52 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Good luck with the search. I looked for the same for the past two years though did not have to worry about wife or kids liking the cabin area. There is a major lack of trailerable boats in the US and we are way behind the rest of the sailing world. I can't believe the DART is not selling better but believe it will due to a need.

As you mention a flat ramp you also have to look at depth needed to launch. An example is the Antrim, (even though you state too long) takes about 4 feet of water to launch. A B-25 takes about 3 feet of water. A Rocket can be launched in about 2 feet.

I know you ruled out the Rocket but go look at one. Easy to sail which is needed with two small children. It really meets your needs and has a large cockpit. I saw one for sale on this site for a decent price. Some other ones for sale but priced way too high. Only about 15 built which makes the used market slim.

You must have one understanding and patient wife that will sit with two kids while you raise a mast, launch, rig sails, load supplies, prior to going sailing.

Corsair 24 has a daggerboard. Very light. Floats hi/shallow draft.
Shame its a multihull. Guest bedrooms on each net too with a tent. Honeymoon suite in the cabin :-)

#53 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

Hi Flying Fish!

Actually my family takes a pretty active participation in the sailing day.

A family that sails together stays together! right? :D

Everyone works and everyone has fun.

And sometimes Daddy gets to take a nap...

#54 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

Bob I gotta say that sounds enticing!

#55 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:girls

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2ebd71ef7d

seems like a decent deal

#56 Vee

Vee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Vendettas

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2ebd71ef7d

seems like a decent deal

First off it's too big for the OP's requirements and secondly, it has a "crispy Dacron delivery main". I guess that means the trailer is shit. Deal killer!

#57 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Wouldn't everyone just love having one of those sitting out in the front yard!

I actually almost bought one i was looking at about 4 years ago but it just didn't pan out.

Would have been bitchen and I probably wouldn't be looking for a boat right now had I pushed it a little more.

Attached Files

#58 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Wouldn't everyone just love having one of those sitting out in the front yard!

I actually almost bought one i was looking at about 4 years ago but it just didn't pan out.

Would have been bitchen and I probably wouldn't be looking for a boat right now had I pushed it a little more.

yah easy to trailer too

<_<

FB- Doug

#59 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

FF were you speaking of the Antrim 27 or do they make something between 24-26?

#60 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

Bob I gotta say that sounds enticing!

Lot of PHRF and OD racing. See yahoo groups link

#61 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

FF were you speaking of the Antrim 27 or do they make something between 24-26?

The Third Gen design is called the Ultimate 24 or the updated one which will be built to your wish called the Antrim 25 both boats are the same with the Antrim 25 being updated with some new deck improvements and a canting pole system. The Ultimate 24 I think about 12 were built in CA most are still on the West coast with one or two possibly migrating East.

The U24 built after the Antrim 27 has a fixed pole mounted on the deck like the Ultimate 20 - the 24 is fully ocean rated sails with three easily and is easy to staff crew for and manage than the full out Antrim 27 which likes weight on the rail and has more power.

The U24 is my favorite of the three regarding size - ease of sailing ie crew requirements and performance which is very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users