UMass Boston Sailing Club Needs Help!!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 UMBTreasurer

UMBTreasurer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Starting a UMass Boston, competitive sailing team!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

This is the student-run UMASS Boston Boating Club to bring waterfront recreation to the students of UMASS with sailing (free lessons, excursions, racing), kayaking, paddle-boarding, and wind surfing.
Umass Boston Boating Club - University - Boston, MA | Facebook

The only problem we are facing today is we have 8 sail boats out of commission in which they either have holes in the front of the boat or underneath from years of mistreatment and sitting around. I would like to gain some knowledge as to:
1. How to fix these boats (what type of fiber glass, etc.)
2. Gaining enough money to start a competitive team (How to become a competitive team)
3. To learn what and where to buy (Sails, Hardware, etc.) and how to allocate the miniscule amount of money we were granted in the most efficient way. (We have $1000, that's it)

Also, I would like to know if anyone in the Boston area could help us seek outside angel investors that have an interest in advertising on our sail (tax write-offs are available if this avenue is chosen.) I am very enthusiastic about this program, we have a lot of students that are interested in sailing with only two working sail boats and two kayaks that aren't even ours. Please help! Donations are greatly appreciated whether in form of knowledge or information regarding funding this up in coming team.

Thank You,
Matt
UMass Boston Sailing Club Treasurer.

#2 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Yet another college sailing program begging for money.

And, wow, and ad on your sail? How f'in naive are you? That's the real answer to get into BHO's 1% club. Then you'll have to pay mo' taxes. Sounds like a dumb idea to me...

#3 Vogel515

Vogel515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, skiing

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Myself and Murphness (another member here) own a Thunderbird at SHYC, right across the water from you. We might be able to give you a hand, or at least point you to some local (and very salty) resources.

If you'd be interested in racing / crewing, we can also get you and others on some boats.

#4 Lake Shark

Lake Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:boats, babes, and brews

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

fixing 8 boats on 1000 dollars is a pretty tall order, you would be better off investing that money in the boats that need the least repair instead of trying to spread it out over all 8.

There are a lot of options when it comes to starting a team. The cheapest way is to find a yacht club or sailing school, preferably one with fjs or 420s, that will let you use their boats for practice. Then register your team with ICSA and beg everyone you know for money so you can pay to enter regattas.

#5 Vogel515

Vogel515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, skiing

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

If I am not mistaken, Umass has 6-7 cape cod Mercuries and from time to time I've seen a hobie cat over there. $1000 can go a long way with those boats.

I'd contact Community Boating (http://www.community-boating.org/), they have a fleet of 60+ Mercuries and can direct you on how to maintain, fix, or buy parts.

What are you doing tonight? We will be racing on the river starting at 5pm. Be there and introduce yourself.

#6 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Have you considered partnering with one of the many other non-profit sailing clubs or for-profit sailing centers in the region?

#7 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Not sure if BC uses all of theirs for practice every day, but they have about 20 420's on a float moored in Dorchester Bay. When visiting teams come to race they just use BC's and bring their own sails. if you're going to buy anything with the $1000 it should be spent on a good grant writer or something....Petition UMASS for more money, tell them it's going to be a team, not a club.

I'm sure these guys will have some insight as well. I believe UMASS Amherst has a sailing team, or club? A few friends claimed they were on it....My link

#8 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

If you let us use the hobie cat whenever we want we'll fix it for free and pay for materials :ph34r:

#9 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Club Treasurer you need to talk to your Club President.

#10 Rondog

Rondog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Oh here's a good link with plenty of great info!

http://forums.sailin...hp?showforum=56

#11 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

First thing you do is to totally ignore the 2nd poster, DoRag. He is ust bitter & twisted.

Second, take advice from some local sailors. Do not tip money into old boats that are past their "use by date". They will continue to fail and just soak up more $$$$.

#12 Carbon

Carbon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

I hate to rain on your parade but if you are going to compete you won't be able to put advertising on your sails. You'd be violating NCAA rules. If you remain a club team (assuming that you are) you can probably do it but you'd have to clear it with the school first. I've been through all of this stuff with respect to cycling so I am not completely talking out of my ass.

#13 sailorwillis

sailorwillis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

I hate to rain on your parade but if you are going to compete you won't be able to put advertising on your sails. You'd be violating NCAA rules. If you remain a club team (assuming that you are) you can probably do it but you'd have to clear it with the school first. I've been through all of this stuff with respect to cycling so I am not completely talking out of my ass.

Good Thing Sailing is not NCAA. It is run by ICSA which has different rules regarding sponsorship. Page 1. http://classic.colle...d_2009_CDCR.pdf
<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

"Like many non-traditional sports, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
does not administer college sailing. However, by individual application to the NCAA,
member institutions may count sailing for purposes of meeting NCAA requirements for
sports sponsorship, and a number of NCAA colleges count their women’s sailing teams
when determining their compliance with federally mandated Title IX gender equity
requirements."

It shouldn't be a problem but I would double check with your local NESIA rep.
It looks like the NESIA website is down.... All of ICSA websites are being revamped and they are currently being moved to a new site. Some of the individual districts websites didn't make the transfer. If their site work the address would be, http://classic.colle...ling.org/neisa/

Looking at some of the links on the old ICSA website it looks like Brad Churchill is in charge of membership in your area. Once again it looks like the website is broken. I found his contact info here

Personally, I would hold off on joining ICSA and NESIA. Generally, to join you have to become an associate member (or whatever the NESIA equivalent is). In PCCSC Associate membership is $150 a year. MASIA has a similar fee plus a $50 dollar joining fee. I do not know how much NESIA charges exactly, but expect something in that range.

I would recommend spending your money in new boats or fixing up a few of the boats you already have. Build a program and get some money rolling in, through dues or some other way. One of the best ways I have raised money in the past is to talk to non-profits that focus on sailing. I have also had a lot of success going to local yacht clubs and making a presentation on the program. Make a specific goals to raise money for, like a new boat. If you ask for money for your club in general they will probably not donate funds.

Your best resources are the people on your team. Ask them if they know anyone who can do glasswork or someone who has an old CFJ/420 for sale.

Also, getting funding from your school can be critical. As was mentioned before become a club sport, not a club. Also, you could work with your campus to rec to potentially develop a waterfront program (Although that would take an enormous amount of work and time).

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I am fairly active in college sailing out on the west coast and know a fair bit about running a club sport as a student.

#14 SailingCoach2012

SailingCoach2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Going fast, sniping at the start line and bullets.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

I am a UMB sailing team alumni I was also the club president from 2005 to 2008. There are six boats at UMB that belong to the sailing club three 420's and three Solings. There is also a complete inventory of gear that belongs to the club including 8 drysuits 30 PFD's, 30 Spray tops, 30 bibbs and 25 pinnies. The 420's were donated and we refitted them with new rigs and donated sails. I have all the documentation from the previous UMB Sailing Club administraion including donation letters, reciepts and inventory. It may help you to expedite things and connect more effectivly with the local and college sailing communities so you are not reinventing the wheel. I am positive you are getting the run around by the knuckle heads in Marine Operations as well as Athletcs because I went through the same thing. Having the legal documentation and proof that the gear and boats belong to the club will help them remember very quickly what belongs to the club and what belongs to them. If you want it send me a message and its yours.

You should also connect with Mike O'Connor he is the head sailing coach at Harvard and the Prsident of the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association and Sailing Master Franny Charles at MIT they are great resources for new teams or clubs like yours that are trying to reestablish themselves, their contact info can be found at www.collegesailing.org. Try contacting head sailing coach Greg Wilkenson at B.C. as well his team is usually on the water practicing a few days week out of Savin Hill Yacht Club across from the UMB Campus. He and his team were instrimental in our success we used to practice with them on Wednesdays if they had an extra boat availble.

#15 Foreverslow

Foreverslow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing sailboats,and working on sailboats.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

check a couple of the clubs nearby.
6 weeks ago Beverly HS on the north shore came to my club with the same request.
The Commodore asked the regatta committee to do what we could.
We put a plan into place and started executing

We set up room in our yard to work on them
on weekends we were pAtching holes, replacing hardware and fixing rigging.
We have all the tools to work on the boats.
A member who owns a chandlery donated parts and materials.
Another had connections to get rigging cheap.
The kids helped us out and learned how to work on them at the same time.
For every club event we have 50/50 raffles and pass the hat to raise money.

4 weeks later and they are good to go.
Not all clubs are old fuckers who do nothing.
Some of us understand you kids are the future.
Just ask and be sure to help out.
Just may find some sweet rides when the semester is over

#16 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

reach out to rich alumni, some may even sail, and solicit donations. before this, set up a not for profit foundation to benefit the team and to ensure the donations are tax deductible

#17 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

This is the student-run UMASS Boston Boating Club to bring waterfront recreation to the students of UMASS with sailing (free lessons, excursions, racing), kayaking, paddle-boarding, and wind surfing.
Umass Boston Boating Club - University - Boston, MA | Facebook

The only problem we are facing today is we have 8 sail boats out of commission in which they either have holes in the front of the boat or underneath from years of mistreatment and sitting around. I would like to gain some knowledge as to:
1. How to fix these boats (what type of fiber glass, etc.)
2. Gaining enough money to start a competitive team (How to become a competitive team)
3. To learn what and where to buy (Sails, Hardware, etc.) and how to allocate the miniscule amount of money we were granted in the most efficient way. (We have $1000, that's it)

Also, I would like to know if anyone in the Boston area could help us seek outside angel investors that have an interest in advertising on our sail (tax write-offs are available if this avenue is chosen.) I am very enthusiastic about this program, we have a lot of students that are interested in sailing with only two working sail boats and two kayaks that aren't even ours. Please help! Donations are greatly appreciated whether in form of knowledge or information regarding funding this up in coming team.
Bump.fuk dorag have a go guys.

Start at the bottom .Teach the guys how to fix the boats and work up from there.Teach ownership of the boats and pride of workmanship.The restwill follow.
Thank You,
Matt
UMass Boston Sailing Club Treasurer.

#18 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Sorry guys,got caught in the crap.

Teach the crew to fix their own boats.

Some will resent this and want brand new everything.Others will want to have a go.

There is nothing better than having a go in your own ship.

#19 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

reach out to rich alumni, some may even sail, and solicit donations. before this, set up a not for profit foundation to benefit the team and to ensure the donations are tax deductible

Here we have a blinding glimpse of the obvious!

#20 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Might be nice if UMB Treasurer would respond, if only to thank those who have generously offered their thoughts/insights.

Should engage the resources here, provide updates and establish productive conversations.

At this juncture it looks it appears he thought one post here was going to shake the money tree and solve all their problems.

#21 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

What is it with everybody asking other people for money to solve their problems. Wait it sounds like the good old USA, with Obama doing the same thing.

Here is a solution for the UMass money problems.
1. Get all the people that think the organization is a good idea together.
2. All those people should get jobs
3. Donate one day of pay to the organization they think is so good that other people should donate money.

Is 50 people out of the question? Is $100 dollars a day realistic. Ok so now you just increased you money 5x. (you said you had $1,000) Problem solved. Move on. But please stop putting you hand out. Maybe after potential donors saw that the you acutally did something to help you cause they might donate.

Might be nice if UMB Treasurer would respond, if only to thank those who have generously offered their thoughts/insights.

Should engage the resources here, provide updates and establish productive conversations.

At this juncture it looks it appears he thought one post here was going to shake the money tree and solve all their problems.

#22 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

What is it with everybody asking other people for money to solve their problems. Wait it sounds like the good old USA, with Obama doing the same thing.

Here is a solution for the UMass money problems.
1. Get all the people that think the organization is a good idea together.
2. All those people should get jobs
3. Donate one day of pay to the organization they think is so good that other people should donate money.

Is 50 people out of the question? Is $100 dollars a day realistic. Ok so now you just increased you money 5x. (you said you had $1,000) Problem solved. Move on. But please stop putting you hand out. Maybe after potential donors saw that the you acutally did something to help you cause they might donate.

If you have attractive ladies on your team/club, the ol bikini carwash is a quick way to make a buck or 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users