5 replies to this topic

#1 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

PUBLIC AUCTION by U.S. MARSHAL, one vessel and her tender known as the M/V CAROUSEL

Link

Not a bad looking boat if that is what you are into.

Posted Image

PUBLIC AUCTION by U.S. MARSHAL
12:00 p.m. on April 19, 2012
at Hyannis Marina, Inc.
1 Willow Street, Hyannis, Massachusetts 02601

One vessel and her tender known as the:
M/V CAROUSEL (O.N. 275249) and her TENDER a/k/a T/T CAROUSEL (MS1214KZ), hull identification number RTX5F020B484

M/V CAROUSEL (O.N. 275249), a 1957 52.4' Trumpy, and her TENDER a/k/a T/T CAROUSEL (MS1214KZ), hull identification number RTX5F020B484, a 1985 15' Rothbilt, to be sold "AS IS – WHERE IS"

Vessel may be inspected by appointment.
Hyannis Marina, Inc.
1 Willow Street, Hyannis, Massachusetts 02601
508-790-4000

#2 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Kinda makes you wonder how a fancy boat like that ended up in the hands of the U.S. Marshals. I'm assuming asset seizure related to criminal activity?

Likely not bankruptcy related since I think those are run by independent 3rd parties.

#3 Drewbius

Drewbius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Sailing(???)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

The tax man taketh away?

On second thought, after some google-ry:

http://www.st.nmfs.n...el_id_in=275249

http://dockets.justi...cv10035/141206/

Well, amiralty law is (like all other kinds of law) completely beyond my comprehension.

#4 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

love them trumpys .. would make a great liveaboard

#5 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

wiki

A maritime lien in admiralty law is a privileged claim upon maritime property, such as a ship, in respect of services rendered to, or the injuries caused by that property. In common law, a lien is the right of the creditor to retain the properties of his debtor until the debt is paid.

It is a proprietary lien which interest is about the “res” (property). It should be understood that “res” may be the vessel (including its appurtenances and equipment), the cargo, the freight or even the proceeds of sale. The rights include jus in re (right on the property) and jus in rem (right against the property). The doctrine of Maritime Lien is that a ship will be treated as a wrongdoer, not the owner, that the loss, damage or harm is caused by the maritime property, itself, and it has to make good for the loss. The attachment of maritime lien will start when the cause of action arises and will not be eliminated even by change of ownership in good faith purchase.

Normally, a Maritime Lien relates to the different marine transactions in the admiralty jurisdiction and creates the maritime claims. It will be created by the statute such as the Ship Mortgage Act.

#6 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

To answer my own question, I skimmed the complaint and docket on pacer. Seems like somebody didn't pay their yard bill and a default judgement was entered. Could be more to the story but I didn't feel like running up my firms pacer bill. (Note: to protect myself from the overly litigious, I didn't read all the documents, just skimmed the complaint. So everything here is pure conjecture)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users