15 replies to this topic

#1 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Does anyone know if WH Autopilots in Bainbridge Island is still in business. I'm trying to place an order and can't get through via e-mail or phone.

Thanks

WH Autopilot

#2 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

It looks like WH stands for Went Home

#3 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,582 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

1334949064[/url]' post='3681336']
Does anyone know if WH Autopilots in Bainbridge Island is still in business. I'm trying to place an order and can't get through via e-mail or phone.

Thanks

WH Autopilot

I can check when I get back to Bainbridge Island in a couple of days......

#4 Blackbeard

Blackbeard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Interests:Short handed racing, offshore sailing (5 Transpacs, 1 Vic-Maui plus deliveries so far..), PNW racing, cruising, and repairing a 43 yr old boat.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Thanks

WH Autopilot

They are answering the phone now and stated they will answer up to midnight every night.

206-780-2175
866-949-4253

www.whautopilots.com

#5 PMH

PMH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

I have a WH Autopilot. It has worked flawlessly for 5 years and is the only company I have EVER dealt with where the president of the company answers the phone every day and goes over any problems you have (he also uses only US made parts thru out the equipment). Very old school but pretty amazing in this day and age but don't believe me ask Steve Daschew.

#6 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,665 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Maybe a stupid question here but have their design been updated or are they agricultural looking still.

(I've only seen their setup on a couple different CHB trawlers.)

#7 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll call again next week, maybe they are slammed and unable answer emails or phone calls. We are very happy with the WH a/p, the only problem is the fluxgate is acting up. We'll upgrade to the gyro when we get through to them.

Yes the pilot looks industrial but it works great, it's quick and robust. If we had to buy again it would be a WH.

#8 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Just ordered the new gyro. WH is slammed, that is why I could not get ahold of them.

Thanks all.

#9 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:01 AM

He has great stuff. His name IS the Company (His initials ARE WH)

My concern is - How old is the guy? He has been in business for a long time. He is the designer, engineer, customer service, tech support, AND President.

I have used the WH on sail and power. Introduced to them by an engineer who did mega research before outfitting his boat and used the WH for about 3000NM on that boat.

When I was in the IT field we always tried to leave everything in proper order so that if we were "hit by the bus" (our euphemism for fired, quit, jailed, or yes even, crushed by a bus)that the IT operations could continue without anyone who, for whatever reason, never showed up again.

That is the biggest consideration about WH autopilots to me. I mean, who is going to support them when (not if) the Great Autopilot in the Sky brings WH home so to speak? Or he gets a midlife crises and moves to Bali, or wants to retire and sells the biz to someone else? or a million other things.

He def has some of the best, most reliable, user tunable equip there is. I have NO doubt about THAT.

And, Hobot, it IS still quite industrial looking, but I guess that is the trade off for reliability.

#10 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

-----------
and used the WH for about 3000NM on that boat.
----------------

That is to say 'I' was aboard for almost 3000nm of autopilot on that boat. Of course with and engineer for a skipper no one checked the hydraulic fluid in the pump, until we started hearing the hammering that is. 4 experienced sailor (skipper is a mechanical engineer too) and NO ONE checked the fluid till to late.

But that wasn't WH's fault. You can't really design for IDIOCY!

#11 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

That is a concern but Will seems to be an on the ball kind of guy and he must have an exit strategy. As long as the business has profitable sales it has a value and the heirs would want that value, they sure are busy enough. I assume someone would buy the business and continue to operate it.

All said, we may just place an order this summer for a spare replacement a/p (drive, control head, compass, and pilot control)

He has great stuff. His name IS the Company (His initials ARE WH)

My concern is - How old is the guy? He has been in business for a long time. He is the designer, engineer, customer service, tech support, AND President.

I have used the WH on sail and power. Introduced to them by an engineer who did mega research before outfitting his boat and used the WH for about 3000NM on that boat.

When I was in the IT field we always tried to leave everything in proper order so that if we were "hit by the bus" (our euphemism for fired, quit, jailed, or yes even, crushed by a bus)that the IT operations could continue without anyone who, for whatever reason, never showed up again.

That is the biggest consideration about WH autopilots to me. I mean, who is going to support them when (not if) the Great Autopilot in the Sky brings WH home so to speak? Or he gets a midlife crises and moves to Bali, or wants to retire and sells the biz to someone else? or a million other things.

He def has some of the best, most reliable, user tunable equip there is. I have NO doubt about THAT.

And, Hobot, it IS still quite industrial looking, but I guess that is the trade off for reliability.

#12 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

------
he must have an exit strategy. As long as the business has profitable sales it has a value and the heirs would want that value, they sure are busy enough. I assume someone would buy the business and continue to operate it.
-------

This is NO comment about WH Autopilots per se. Just a comment about business in general.

I have seen that EXACT scenario with several (at least 4 I have personal knowledge/dealings with) small family businesses, and within 2-4 years they are G-O-N-E.

One business like this was purchased just so the new owners could use the good name/credit of the company while they took loans, racked up bills, etc etc, and pulled a runner within 36 months.

Again - this is no comment on WH in particular, it just worries me about ANY really small biz.

Of course big companies change product lines, sell out to bigger companies, change standards, drop support for products, change distributors - and so on and so on.

What's a sailor to do?

I will tag here again - WH is still the most reliable, user tunable AP I have used.

#13 AliciaBurney

AliciaBurney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

Posted ImageIt looks like WH stands for Went Home

#14 bsainsbury

bsainsbury

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Sail boating

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

Posted ImageIt looks like WH stands for Went Home

I think someone already used that joke

#15 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

New gyro arrived. Like I said earlier, we are happy with the unit and most likely will order a spare pilot from WH. No worries about the mechanical side of the pilot, just the electronic stuff.

#16 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Try Course Master, there heads are pretty good and may hook up to you stuff, not sure though.

http://www.coursemaster.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users