#1 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Anyone know what happened today at the Nats? Reports, commentary? Who's got the hot setup?

#2 krash

krash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Storm front blew through with lightning and 30 knot gusts

All boats are staked down until tomorrow

No racing...

#3 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Thanks krash.

#4 dacarls

dacarls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Early morning Saturday prediction by Accuweather is NNW gusts to 30- apparently all day. Racing tomorrow Sunday only, eh?

#5 Ron Roth

Ron Roth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Any results from yesterday .

#6 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

first day results here: http://www.regattane...regatta_id=4880

Looks like the boys from So Cal are bringing it. We lost our rig in the second race (bummer, but no mast damage)

#7 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Wow, looks like the weather just screwed everyone over. Only got five races off and only half the 40 boats there managed not to DNC/DNF.

#8 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Wow, looks like the weather just screwed everyone over. Only got five races off and only half the 40 boats there managed not to DNC/DNF.

Half the fleet DNC scores in the overall is because the regatta rules split the fleet after the three races on Saturday of which only 27 of the 46 boat fleet raced (18-22 knots with higher gusts, pretty full on racing right at the limit of class wind max). On Sunday, half the fleet raced the "Intergalactic" (three races sailed) and half continued in the "A" fleet (two races sailed). Sunday racing in very light to moderate and very shifty conditions (3-10 knots).

We were hoping for three days of racing in classic Galveston Bay sea breeze conditions (southeast, 12-18 knots), Mother Nature said otherwise!

Top Three "A" Fleet

1. Matt Struble
2. Bruce Mahoney
3. Allen Coutts

Bob Curry won the Intergalactic fleet.

#9 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Half the fleet DNC scores in the overall is because the regatta rules split the fleet after the three races on Saturday of which only 27 of the 46 boat fleet raced (18-22 knots with higher gusts, pretty full on racing right at the limit of class wind max). On Sunday, half the fleet raced the "Intergalactic" (three races sailed) and half continued in the "A" fleet (two races sailed). Sunday racing in very light to moderate and very shifty conditions (3-10 knots).

We were hoping for three days of racing in classic Galveston Bay sea breeze conditions (southeast, 12-18 knots), Mother Nature said otherwise!

Top Three "A" Fleet

1. Matt Struble
2. Bruce Mahoney
3. Allen Coutts

Bob Curry won the Intergalactic fleet.

Bob, congrats on a top ten finish. Even though the weather was shit, reports from my driver Matt were that everyone was extremely helpful getting him up to speed (3rd and 4th on Sunday). He learned enough during the week to make the trip worthwhile. Now we need to get the west coast fleet active again.

#10 IC youth movement

IC youth movement

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Bob, where are the results for the intergalactic?

#11 cbrown

cbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Why the split fleet? I was talking with another sailor about the upcoming Worlds and the split fleet format. There are definitely both positives and negatives to this format. What happened at the Nationals is something that we were discussing. It can be difficult enough to get in two good races in a day.....even harder to get in four.

#12 Foghorn77

Foghorn77

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Bob, where are the results for the intergalactic?

http://www.usaca.inf...national-events

#13 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Why the split fleet? I was talking with another sailor about the upcoming Worlds and the split fleet format. There are definitely both positives and negatives to this format. What happened at the Nationals is something that we were discussing. It can be difficult enough to get in two good races in a day.....even harder to get in four.

The split fleet format certainly had its pros and cons and the regatta OA wanted to give it a go. On the positive side it gave the RC more practice in getting starts/races off. On the negative (if you want to call it that), most of the sailors who felt they would not make the "cut" still wanted to get on the starting line against the faster sailors.

#14 A-man

A-man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

Some of the guys at the Nationals were using or talking about using 12:1 systems. I didn't actually see one and was wondering the best way to achieve this. I believe guys were using either a 3:1 or 4:1 on the end of the boom to traveler and either a 4:1 or 3:1 along the boom to get 12:1.

Any ideas the best way (and what hardware) to achieve this? I'm thinking a 3:1 at the end of the boom to traveler and 4:1 along the boom? What size sheaves, etc.?

Today I tried a 6:1 on the boom/traveler and a 2:1 on the boom but it doesn't quite have enough throw to release the power out of the sail before the blocks run out of throw - scary. Otherwise it was really, really nice.

Does the 4:1 along the boom have enough throw?

A-man

#15 SoCalSlacker

SoCalSlacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Interests:good old fashion competion

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:56 AM

With the 4-1 on the boom (3-1 on the traveler) you'll double the throw over your previous system.

#16 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

Some of the guys at the Nationals were using or talking about using 12:1 systems. I didn't actually see one and was wondering the best way to achieve this. I believe guys were using either a 3:1 or 4:1 on the end of the boom to traveler and either a 4:1 or 3:1 along the boom to get 12:1.

Any ideas the best way (and what hardware) to achieve this? I'm thinking a 3:1 at the end of the boom to traveler and 4:1 along the boom? What size sheaves, etc.?

Today I tried a 6:1 on the boom/traveler and a 2:1 on the boom but it doesn't quite have enough throw to release the power out of the sail before the blocks run out of throw - scary. Otherwise it was really, really nice.

Does the 4:1 along the boom have enough throw?

A-man

I did a 4:1 in the back and 3:1 along the boom. There seems to be enough sheet for easing and not too much more tail to deal with, it's pretty nice on the arms.

#17 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,050 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

Wow! Steve Brewin made up a 10:1 system which I later borrowed and we both concluded that it simply meant shifting too much rope for not enough benefit. I think we are both using 9:1 at the moment, with his being all at the back but thenm led along the boom to centre sheet while I go 3:1 from boom to traveller and 3:1 on the boom.

However, the 10:1 was a traveller mounted system so I can see it might be different going along the boom. What is achieved with the 12:1? I can see that loads might be less, but the amount of sheet needed to be moved seems excessive. Where are the reduced loads most noticed? Is it upwind or downwind?

#18 Waynemarlow

Waynemarlow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

4:1 rear using wire blocks and 4mm D12 with internal boom 30mm blocks and 8mm sheet ( they take a lot less loading than at the rear ) offers a much cheaper alternative to more normal multi block at the rear. But and a very big but, the whole setup is very temperamental if you don't get the whole set up running in line correctly. Little things like my sail loop under the boom at the rear when loaded would keep the boom slightly twisted to the line of blocks, D12 can narrow down to really impossibly small ovoid shaped diameters and would jam in the gap between the pulley and the side of the wire block when running down wind and jybing, I have no idea how but it would. solved that little dillema by putting a small tail on the boom top block with a guide pulley in the boom. But the thing that sold the cascade system to me was way it free runs without almost no drag, nice but a problem when you tack, it simply sheets out unless you lock off the sheet some how ( stand on the sheet as you come in and off the trapeze until you can get a shorter hand ful of line ).

Why did I go to 12:1 and not 9:1, I had what was effectively tennis elbow and it was painful to sheet in one side, no problem with 12:1 but more rope to pull. Simply do as I did though and use a double block top and bottom with becket on one and you can experiment to your hearts content. Why internal inside the boom, I kept getting tangled up with the under slung 3:1, I know some have covers but when well designed, they fit nicely inside the boom. Try a set up with old blocks you have laying about in your spares tin.

This has been often discussed on the cat sailor site and most Tornados went over to a cascaded system, its well documented and diagrams abound.

#19 Bang Zoom

Bang Zoom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, cycling

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Wow! Steve Brewin made up a 10:1 system which I later borrowed and we both concluded that it simply meant shifting too much rope for not enough benefit. I think we are both using 9:1 at the moment, with his being all at the back but thenm led along the boom to centre sheet while I go 3:1 from boom to traveller and 3:1 on the boom.

However, the 10:1 was a traveller mounted system so I can see it might be different going along the boom. What is achieved with the 12:1? I can see that loads might be less, but the amount of sheet needed to be moved seems excessive. Where are the reduced loads most noticed? Is it upwind or downwind?

I guess we just use more mainsheet tension on this side of the planet...

Have been running 12/1 for 9 months or so. The extra line is no problem and I can close the leach in any wind strength and hold the main sheet with two fingers at any time. 4/1 external, 3/1 interal, took a while to sort out but now reliable.

#20 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Have been running 12/1 for 9 months or so. The extra line is no problem and I can close the leach in any wind strength and hold the main sheet with two fingers at any time. 4/1 external, 3/1 interal, took a while to sort out but now reliable.

Jim,

We have to tell the truth. We Americans are just pussy's.

Bob

#21 Bang Zoom

Bang Zoom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, cycling

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

Jim,

Bob

That must be it...

#22 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,050 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Jim,

Bob

Don't misunderstand me. Next time I go out, I will be experimenting with being a pussy as well!

#23 Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • Interests:Human folly.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Don't misunderstand me. Next time I go out, I will be experimenting with being a pussy as well!

All the pussy you can get?
Someone had to say it.
SHC

#24 aad

aad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Racquetball

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

All the pussy you can get?
Someone had to say it.
SHC

#25 aad

aad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Racquetball

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Am new to the class and the boat. It would be of great help to view any of the referenced main sheet set up by photo. Much appreciated to all.

#26 A-man

A-man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

Well, I'm definitely in the tennis elbow/pussy category. 12:1 for me, I have seen the light. Thanks for the input.

Aman

#27 dacarls

dacarls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

"Well, I'm definitely in the tennis elbow/pussy category. 12:1 for me, I have seen the light. Thanks for the input""".

Yeah, then when you are about 65, the fingers get sprained, hands get overstressed = carpal tunnel/ arthritis and aspirins/Tylenol.
Then tendonitis/ tennis elbow comes along.
Don't F$%^&*( ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users