#1 Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi Guys,
I'm after a new android tablet but can't work out what's best. Things I'm after;

I want to be able to use it with charts onboard but not intensively, so i definately need a GPS inside.
I want USB and MicrSD connection.
Not sure whether I need 3/4G cos i've got BT Openzone access for the UK. Could tether it to my work blackberry, but GPS and 3/4G seem to go together.
10 inch approx.

I'm not totally anti the ipad but would be good to be a bit cheaper and hate the idea of Apple controlling everything so tightly, particularly the connectivity.

Are the Android app stores the equal of the Apple Appstore?

Has anyone got any reccommendations or advice?

Cheers.

#2 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

https://play.google....avionics&c=apps

I have an older version on a phone. The font is a bit small for my eyes but other than that it is great.

Navionics says
<b><br class="Apple-interchange-newline">Q. Do Android tablets have a GPS?</b>A. Most Android tablets do have an internal GPS. However, please check with the manufacturer of your tablet to make sure your device supports this feature.

I think that might be true for the high end tablets so check it out.

It may be possible to use an external GPS puck but I don't know for sure. Anyone know?

Allen
L-36.com

#3 jacrider

jacrider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I am using my Asus Transformer.

For sailing, I have Navionics running off the internal GPS. Works great.

Has microSD. Not sure about USB, but I know with their optional keyboard you get both more battery capacity and 2 usb ports.

It updated recently to Ice Cream Sandwich version 4.0.x of Android.

All in all, it has been pretty good, cheaper and more open than Apple.

#4 Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

That Asus Transformer looks like the dogs bollocks but the new one (prime) sounds like it's got GPS problems. Love the keyboard. Now, I don't think it matters that the tablet doesn't have a USB if the dock does.

jacrider, did you upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich?

Does anyone know how important it is that Navionics list the device?

cheers.

#5 jacrider

jacrider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

That Asus Transformer looks like the dogs bollocks but the new one (prime) sounds like it's got GPS problems. Love the keyboard. Now, I don't think it matters that the tablet doesn't have a USB if the dock does.

jacrider, did you upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich?

Does anyone know how important it is that Navionics list the device?

cheers.

I upgraded to ICS. Not a big deal.

Navionics lists the Asus Transformer. I would imagine that you want a supported device.

#6 Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I Just noticed that there's a new Transformer out in the US today, by chance. Maybe I'll wait a month for it, looks just like what i want.

#7 bsainsbury

bsainsbury

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Sail boating

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Get an IPad

#8 Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Get an IPad

Go on then, why? Convince me.

#9 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Has microSD. Not sure about USB, but I know with their optional keyboard you get both more battery capacity and 2 usb ports.

+1
Have had good experiences with the ASUS transformer. Only complaint has been too frequent forced browser crashes. It's better since the Ice Cream Sandwich update, but browser still needs work.

#10 diggler

diggler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Have had good experiences with the ASUS transformer. Only complaint has been too frequent forced browser crashes. It's better since the Ice Cream Sandwich update, but browser still needs work.

Does the keyboard mean you are stuck with the default browser? Otherwise, why not just install a different one like Skyfire or Dolphin?

#11 Zac

Zac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

I tried 2 different Samsung Galaxy android tablets and finally now I have an iPad. I'll be the first to say I don't like apple's business model or tactics but I bought some stock in them and now I'm not as sore if I buy their stuff.

The android tablets integrated masterfully with my google accounts however a lot of the other stuff left a lot to be desired. First, iNavX is an awesome software and since I already had it on my phone, free to have it on a second device, probably the biggest selling point for me. The guy has great support and helped get squared away sending data from expedition or from the brookhouse mux.

Second, I bought it on amazon, got a "used" iPad 2 for a great deal even though the guy only used it for a month or so.

The interface is just easier to deal with and just easier to use overall.

Next I need to choose a waterproof sleeve so I can access expedition on deck or in the bunk.

Sorry I didn't answer your question but my 2 cents...

#12 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

+1

Another +1 for the Asus Transformer. I bought mine without the keyboard as I already have a mini bluetooth keyboard which works perfectly with the Transformer. You can buy a USB adaptor that plugs into the Transformer.

I have Navionics on my phone and on the Transformer I have both OziExplorer for Android and Androzic which both use OziExplorers OZFX format charts. I have have used OziExplorer for years on laptops so already had my Maptech charts converted to ozfx format.

#13 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:A bad day sailing is still better than a good day at work.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

My 2 year old iPad still has pride of place chart plotting duties. It is running the latest software updates, and battery still lasts 8-10 hours with GPS on. I have the same software on my iPhone, same charger, same UI, so I can do everything without having to relearn. The touchscreen works like it should, and you don't need any external one. My 3yo kid and wife can use it. I want a new one!

My 2 year old Android tablet is in a drawer. I can't update its software any further, the battery lasts 2mins and a replacement is no longer available, and if I get a new Android tablet unless I stick to the one brand nothing will be able to be transferred to the new one easily as the hardware base is different, plugs are different, cases are different - OS is not even remotely similar. My 3yo asks why the screen doesn't always move when he touches it, and my wife hates it. I'l never buy another one.

But, I know, opinions are like arseholes.

#14 Red Viking

Red Viking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

Have used a lot of Android tabs as part of my job, personal favourite is the Galaxy Tab very nice design and never crashes. ICS due next month.
All those with ICS should get the Chrome browser from the app store it's free and very very good.

#15 Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Just can't decide. I've never heard anyone seriously complain about their iPad, whereas that's just not the case with Android tablets.
I really hate the Apple mantra 'it just works' but i'm beginning to fall for it!
Maybe i should just take Zac's advice and buy some shares and an iPad together!

#16 kokopelli

kokopelli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

I think you need to compare similarly priced Androids to the ipad if you want a reasonable and fair comparison. For sure there are some cheap Android tabs out there, but not a cheap ipad.

I have a $400 Toshiba Thrive 32gb and love it. It runs HC3.2 curerently. I have USB, SD, and HDMI connections. So far 6 months trouble free.

YMMV.

#17 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I just became aware of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 because of this thread. I have been looking for a 7 inch Android tablet with GPS and this seems to be it. It runs ICS (Andriod 4.0) and the reviews look pretty good. It has a micro SD slot so offers memory expansion possibilities if needed.

Has anyone used one of these with marine applications? My ICS Nexus-S phone is very impressive but the screen is just too small to read the text on the charts. But the ICS interface is very nice.

Allen

#18 jacrider

jacrider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

I am heading to the airport today to do a 500 mile delivery in the Med. The only piece of tech I am taking is my Asus Transformer with Navionics loaded. It will be my e-reader, internet device, Skype, music/video and backup navigation GPS.

I will follow-up afterwards on how it performed.

#19 Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

I am heading to the airport today to do a 500 mile delivery in the Med. The only piece of tech I am taking is my Asus Transformer with Navionics loaded. It will be my e-reader, internet device, Skype, music/video and backup navigation GPS.

Thanks Jacrider, will look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it did.

#20 bsainsbury

bsainsbury

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Sail boating

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

1335208791[/url]' post='3684446']
Thanks for the input everyone. Just can't decide. I've never heard anyone seriously complain about their iPad, whereas that's just not the case with Android tablets.
I really hate the Apple mantra 'it just works' but i'm beginning to fall for it!
Maybe i should just take Zac's advice and buy some shares and an iPad together!

Now is a good time to buy AAPL. Way off it's high.
Reason to buy the iPad. It's just a awesome machine. I just bought the new one to use for my business. Easy for me to load necessary documents so I can present it to clients. Just a heads up, the 4G on he new iPad eats up data much faster than the 3G on my iPhone. But the 4G is surprisingly fast. And yeah, it just work. Everything syncs seamlessly together. I don't care why or how it works. It just needs to get the job done and this does the trick.
On a boat I race on we use the owners iPad to track our location for the day's race which is pretty cool.

#21 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

I just picked up the ASUS Transformer 300T. I love it so far. Plastic back so no gps or antenna problems. It was just released, so think you need to get it from Amazon.

Testing various apps now. Any suggestions? Annoyingly a lot of the iPad apps haven't been ported over to Android yet and there aren't a whole lot to choose from. I have Navionics for my Galaxy Nexus, but for some reason it didn't port over to the Tab. Navionics wants me to pay like $65 for a new app (which is fine), but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Anyone try it out?

Any good GRIB reader apps?

#22 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:girls

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

wait for the Panasonic toughpad to come out.

Waterproof, daylight viewable, gps.

perfect

#23 Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm a bit confused. I looked at google.play and assumed all of the apps on there would work on an Transformer 300, is that not the case?

I know this "it just works" mantra that ipeople go on about, but it's bollocks. It may be true "it just works .....more of the time", and that might be enough. A mate was showing me his ipad the other day. he had an app for something or other and when he opened it, it crashed. He said oh, that's ok i'll just install it again, it's so easy. Frankly, i think he's fallen foul of that Apple ibollocks. I nearly have too.

#24 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

I have a Nexus-S phone and one app has text cut off on the bottom of the screen because the developer has not made the changes for that version of Andriod device. So, not all apps work on all devices equally. My phone also locks up about once a month where I have to shut it down and restart it. I had a phone call that I could not answer no matter what I did. I just had to watch it ring out and call the person back. There are definitely bugs in this thing.

On the other hand, my wife has an iPad version 1 and it crashes all the time. Her friend has the same problem and if you go online and look at solutions you find that tons of people (everyone?) have the crashes all the time problem and nobody has a solution that works. This happened with an upgrade in the OS. I mean, it crashes several times a day. Well, you just reboot it, no problem.

Pick your poison.

#25 Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for everyone's opinions. In the end I've plumped for an iPad. It's a lovely bit of kit but I will wonder if I should have got the android.
Cheers.

#26 jacrider

jacrider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks Jacrider, will look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it did.

Ok, just back from Turkey with my Asus Transformer.

The boat (Sabre 452) had a two display Raymarine Chartplotter/Radar setup installed. It had a back-up Furuno GPS and a handheld Garmin.

As a headline, the Asus was our primary navigation tool for the trip. As described, I had the Navionics Europe HD application installed.

- It was the easiest to set a course.
- It was the fastest to zoom in/out
- It was the only portable device, so easy to use anywhere.
- When we stopped in a port and talked to other sailors, we could use the tablet to discuss anchorages and such.
- The easiest to do some route planning on the fly. Fast to check distances, bearings, etc.
- GPS signal was fine both below deck and on deck. Only complaint in this regard was if unplugged from power, when it went to sleep, it closes the GPS, so when you wake it, it has to re-establish GPS fix. About 1 minute to do that. When plugged into power, asleep it retained GPS fix.
- Proved to be very accurate. Raymarine's charts (C-Map) were way off (0.3 NM) at one Greek Island and one Turkish harbour. Very unusual and concerning.

As a device in addition to the navigation, it was my only piece of tech (other than work BlackBerry). I used it for web-surfing (e-mail, VOR check-ins and weather), movies/TV (watched season 1 of Homeland, fantastic), books/magazines and music. Power was no problem with 12V/Inverter power.

All in all fantastic.

Here is my wish list:

- More marine data collection sources integrated via bluetooth. Specifically: instruments (depth, wind, etc), radar, NavTex/weather and AIS.
- More free wifi.

I think as this technology develops and evolves, marine electronics manufacturers will see the power of these devices and offer various ways to integrate with a tablet.

I think I should be fair here and say this isn't so much an endorsement of Asus' product (which worked flawlessly), but rather the power of a tablet on a sailboat. I won't leave home without it again. I have two more deliveries (great spring) this month and will again use it as a primary source.

jacrider

#27 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for everyone's opinions. In the end I've plumped for an iPad. It's a lovely bit of kit but I will wonder if I should have got the android.
Cheers.

Hmmm... You started a thread called "Android Tablet Recommendations", got two weeks of solid consensus on the Asus Transformer, and then chose an iPad? Well, thanks anyway for asking, I learned something from it, though not the same thing you did. ;)

#28 tawgley

tawgley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

Been mentioned in this thread, but the Galaxy Tab 2 looks like very useful piece .. handy size, GPS included and street prices are well under $250 .. has microSD so a dedicated nav app can be installed ..seems a way better value than .............. the things the OP got

#29 Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Cheers.

Hmmm... You started a thread called "Android Tablet Recommendations", got two weeks of solid consensus on the Asus Transformer, and then chose an iPad? Well, thanks anyway for asking, I learned something from it, though not the same thing you did. ;)

Well, you're quite right and i predicted that sort of reaction, but having taken advice from many sources, including SA, there were two deciding factors;
1. I read some really pretty poor reviews of the TF300 screen brightness and how poor it is outdoors.
2. I wanted something quickly and the TF300 will only be available in the uk later this month. I didn't want to be the first here either.

I do appreciate everyone who's given their advice.

Do you think if I'd phrased the question differently I'd have go a different answer?

Cheers.

#30 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

our transformer tf200 with keyboard doing well

local asus supporter won't release latest android software, 4.0 ICS

until it is fully sorted

but that's probably no bad thing...

#31 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

I think what you did was pretty reasonable. The daylight bright screen is pretty big. Android is still playing catchup in some regards, but realistically isn't that far behid. Also, iphone will never have a toughpad, and when that comes out, it will be big.

I'm probably going to jump on one in the next couple of months. Will always be able to sell it if it sucks for my use. Will let you know if it was worth it.

#32 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

I think what you did was pretty reasonable. The daylight bright screen is pretty big. Android is still playing catchup in some regards, but realistically isn't that far behid. Also, iphone will never have a toughpad, and when that comes out, it will be big.

I'm probably going to jump on one in the next couple of months. Will always be able to sell it if it sucks for my use. Will let you know if it was worth it.

OK, so to officially hijack this thread as the OP already bought his iPad, here is what I am debating. I am looking for a Android 7 inch tablet that is under $250. If you read most reviews of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch they talk about the Asus/ Google 7 inch tablet that will be out in June and that it will be worth waiting for. One of the reasons given is that the screen is much nicer, better resolution and the complaint on the Tab-2 is that the colors are not true. But, the reason given that the Tab-2 colors are not true is that they did something to make daylight viewing better. I would opt for better daylight viewing but I have no idea how the Asus tablet will be in that regard as nobody has seen one, it is just a rumor. So do I wait a month or just jump in for the Tab-2. Both are probably around $200 to $250 as Google needs to compete with the Fire. Maybe Google will make it on the cheaper end as they are going to lose the Android OS market if they cannot compete with the Fire as the Fire is a fork off Android and not so Google friendly.

Not sure if anyone has anything helpful in this regard or if I just have to wait for the Asus/Nexus product so I can compare them.

Allen

#33 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

I think I should be fair here and say this isn't so much an endorsement of Asus' product (which worked flawlessly), but rather the power of a tablet on a sailboat. I won't leave home without it again. I have two more deliveries (great spring) this month and will again use it as a primary source.

jacrider

Totally agree. A tablet is becoming a no-brainer. Even more so for deliveries where you don't know what kit you might have.

Just compare a 10inch raymarine chartplotter (not portable) that costs a few grand. One wonders how these traditional companies are going to remain in business.

#34 bbr

bbr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'd wait until the Windows 8 tablets (x86) come out later in the year... then you can run all your standard nav apps (Deckman, Expedition, MaxSea, Nobletec, OpenCPN, etc.) on them and have a full nav system in a tablet... much better than using toy tablets (iPad and Android) which can only handle "mobile" apps that run on underpowered systems...

Toshiba's upcoming Windows 8 tablet is already on the top of my list... 2GB RAM, 256GB SSD drive, SD card slot, 2 USB ports, 10.1-inch LED backlit screen (1366x768), and 9 hours battery life...

Bill

#35 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

I will take this "toy" onboard any boat any day of the week. The only question is what method to get instrument data into it.

#36 bowman81

bowman81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Interests:Beer, tits, boats, pussy, boats, tits

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

I will take this "toy" onboard any boat any day of the week. The only question is what method to get instrument data into it.

has anyone seen one of these yet??? they were supposed to be released early this year so I got in contact with the sale people here to organise a demo but the rep told me the release date had been pushed back to May, so I got in contact last week and was told it's been put back to august. Is it ever going to be released, will it be completely outdated when it is? I want one and I want one now!

#37 Expedition

Expedition

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

has anyone seen one of these yet??? they were supposed to be released early this year so I got in contact with the sale people here to organise a demo but the rep told me the release date had been pushed back to May, so I got in contact last week and was told it's been put back to august. Is it ever going to be released, will it be completely outdated when it is? I want one and I want one now!

Yes, I saw one of the 10" ones in Germany last month. Nice device. I'd probably go for a 7" device for most of the races I do. The other thing was I couldn't see how to attached a strap, but maybe it will have a case and shoulder strap like the CF07

#38 Zac

Zac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:59 AM

Pretty cool but $1400 is pretty steep for an android tablet. The hardware gets outdated so quickly with these kinds of things. As much as I would like it, I think a plastic sleeve for the ipad is still a better deal. I can buy 3 before I pay the same as an A1.

#39 nogetwe

nogetwe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

Anyone using a Samsung Galaxy Note?
If yes, how does it work and which apps do you use?
Thanks!

#40 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Pretty cool but $1400 is pretty steep for an android tablet. The hardware gets outdated so quickly with these kinds of things. As much as I would like it, I think a plastic sleeve for the ipad is still a better deal. I can buy 3 before I pay the same as an A1.

I'm typing this on an 8 year-old Panasonic CF-29 toughbook that has been through field use hell and just won't die. It isn't the hardware necessarily that gets outdated. It's people's expectations. If it works for what you need it to do, it isn't outdated.

#41 Zac

Zac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

I'm typing this on an 8 year-old Panasonic CF-29 toughbook that has been through field use hell and just won't die. It isn't the hardware necessarily that gets outdated. It's people's expectations. If it works for what you need it to do, it isn't outdated.

Agree!

My expectations wouldn't change if every software update didn't slow it down little by little. I guess no updates is the way to go, then I wouldn't lose my jailbreak again.

#42 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Anyone find a decent grib reader? Still working with my tf300. Like it so far for the most part....Finding satellites could be a lot faster. Sometimes it takes minutes.

#43 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab-2 7 inch. It looks great and you can read anything except the very small print outdoors but then again I can't read that print indoors. Basically very good even in direct sun. $240 at Costco with 2 year extended warranty and a cheap case. I added iRegatta to it and that looks really nice. Amazingly, the guy added TURN for me. TURN tells you which way to go to get to your waypoint and I find it extremely useful. A big thank you for that.

I want to turn it into a race instrument mounted on the boat. Waterproof with a zip lock bag seems easy but how to mount it on the boat? What are people doing to mount tablets on the cabin top or on a bulkhead?

#44 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

I need to add that I have looked at what is out there commercially for tablet mounts and they look like they mount to the helm of a boat with a wheel. I have a tiller so that it out. I obviously could make it work on the cabin top but it just looks like it leaves the tablet too exposed. It would get kicked at some point and that would be the end of it. Maybe I am answering my own question in that I need a mount you could stand on and probably will have to make it. But I am still interested if anyone has solved this problem already.

Allen

#45 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

Anyone find a decent grib reader? Still working with my tf300. Like it so far for the most part....Finding satellites could be a lot faster. Sometimes it takes minutes.

Found these using Google:

http://www.passageweather.com/mobi/ (free HTML "app" discussed here)

mobileGRIB (€3.99)

#46 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

I need to add that I have looked at what is out there commercially for tablet mounts and they look like they mount to the helm of a boat with a wheel. I have a tiller so that it out. I obviously could make it work on the cabin top but it just looks like it leaves the tablet too exposed. It would get kicked at some point and that would be the end of it. Maybe I am answering my own question in that I need a mount you could stand on and probably will have to make it. But I am still interested if anyone has solved this problem already.

Allen

I built spring loaded (to hold open) swing out arms that sit in the companionway for my primary and backup gps. That way they are only there when I want them. This could be done with RAM mounts too. My guess is this concept could be effective for tablets.

#47 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Along with mounting, what are people using for cases for their tablets? I have an ipad I'm looking to take on board for bermuda. In the past I've used the Aquapac series of cases with good luck, so tempted to go back to them. Any other recommendations? Something that is waterproof and easy to mount? Looking in the sub $100 range, no $400 Defender case.

#48 Expedition

Expedition

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

I also found these recently

http://www.pantechus...phones/element/

No idea how good they are, but are available from At&T for $299

#49 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

I also found these recently

http://www.pantechus...phones/element/

No idea how good they are, but are available from At&T for $299

GPS?

#50 Paddy

Paddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

http://www.engadget....g-2012-edition/

#51 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Question If one goes tablet they have various storage options 16/32/64 GB with typically +$100 each bump. If you want to use for navigation, streaming say Netflix (when WiFi available) but not a whole lot of pictures and music, is 16 GB enough?

Now the $64,000 question, is it or will it be possible to interface a tablet to the autopilot via Seatalk or NMEA in the future, or talk to and display the AIS, making the chartplotter obsolete? If this is coming, I'm all in on a tablet.

However, so far there is some question in my mind raised on bright/outdoor use. How do the charplotters solve this? Weatherproof covers solve outside use, but bright still seems to need some work.

Thanks

TOG

#52 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab-2 7 inch. I can read it outside just fine. It has 8G of memory but a little micro-SD slot so I could add 32G for about $30. I also just got iRegatta and while not that familiar with it yet, it does seem to interface to at least some NEMA systems. Not sure about all your questions though.

#53 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Question If one goes tablet they have various storage options 16/32/64 GB with typically +$100 each bump. If you want to use for navigation, streaming say Netflix (when WiFi available) but not a whole lot of pictures and music, is 16 GB enough?

Now the $64,000 question, is it or will it be possible to interface a tablet to the autopilot via Seatalk or NMEA in the future, or talk to and display the AIS, making the chartplotter obsolete? If this is coming, I'm all in on a tablet.

However, so far there is some question in my mind raised on bright/outdoor use. How do the charplotters solve this? Weatherproof covers solve outside use, but bright still seems to need some work.

Thanks

TOG

SAIL has an article about the tablets talking to Raymarine and Furuno via NMEA in this months edition (Wi-Fi Afloat). It sounds like most of the marine navigation companies are recognizing the trend towards tablets and ensuring their products will talk to them. That said, Navionics, one of the few iOS and Android chart plotters will supposedly tell your on board systems what it's doing after you've plotted a course on it. You can also relay data to other repeaters through out the boat. I have not tried any of this first hand but I'm sure others on here have....

Some of the tablets have ultra bright settings that will make the screen easier to read in daylight. ASUS makes one called the transformer prime (although there are reports that the GPS doesn't get great signal). I've never used an iPad in direct sunlight so can't comment on that....

In terms of hard drive space, if you're not storing movies or music on it 16 gigs is more then enough....

One concern over using them in hot climates in direct sunlight is over heating. They have safeties built in to shut them down if the core or batteries get too hot. I'm not sure if your boat systems will continue to the course plotted on your tab if that happens, but it's definitely worth looking into....

I'm still very happy with my ASUS Transformer tf300 but admittedly it's terrible in direct sunlight....I haven't tried any anti glare screen protectors or anything yet....

#54 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Looking for the first time at the Navionics software for Android on the Google play Store and noticed that the smartphone version costs only $10 and won't work on tablets; it rates 4.0 stars (out of 5) and has ~45 reviews dating back to October, 2011.

The tablet version (HD) costs $50 and rates 2.6 stars, based on only five reviews dating back to last month (April, 2012)! Two of the five reviews rate one star for failing on the Motorola Droid Xyboard; another reviewer noted that Navionics shuts down on this tablet when Wi-Fi is enabled.

Looking at these reviews for both smartphones and tablets, it appears that when Navionics works, people love it; but when the hardware/OS fails to run the software well, it gets only one star, dragging the average down. Clearly, Navionics on Android is very new and will run best on recommended (tested) devices.

Navionics FAQ:

The app itself is about 16 MB after installation, but the base maps you download at first application start are typically 10 -20 MB. Detailed charts can take up to several Gigabytes on the device's SD.

You must have a strong Wi-Fi connection to download the app to the Android tablet.

#55 J24Soup

J24Soup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Worth checking out the iAIS for Digital Yacht if you're interested in getting AIS/boat data over to an iPAD/tablet/PC and don't already have AIS. We're still working through how to get the instrument data over as the Nexus Classic doesn't use checksums, but otherwise works great. Biggest downside on the iPAD is trying to use it in much light, and concern about it getting wet. Also check out Ram Mounts for some nice mounting options. As someone else mentioned, have a Panasonic Tougbook CF-29 that literally will not die. Playing with a Panasonic CF-H2, great piece of kit, but not cheap.

#56 Distance

Distance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

Thanks

TOG

It is possible today to do much of that today. We sell a box that we are soon to advertise on sailing anarchy that connects your tablet to the boat using UDP packets. (very fast data rate) Getting routes to the chartplotter will happen in the future I bet but a solution requires a software interface and development that has not happened yet. The chartplotter will be obsolete because there is just so much more you can do with tablets for cheaper, and you don't have to cut ugly holes in your boat. We are DMK Yacht if you want to see it work with to chartplot or show AIS check our www.dmkyacht.com/inavx

#57 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:23 AM

I figure the biggest reason to get an android tablet would be so that you can video chat with anyone - even when you're not on wifi and you don't have to root your device to do it.

I've owned a motorola Xoom (stingray) since launch day on verizon. I admit that Honeycomb was slow and irritating at times, but it did what I needed it to do. I finally got fucking sick of Verizon dicking us around on the ICS update so I flashed the AOKP ROM to it with ICS 4.0.4 and its everything that I have ever wanted in a tablet. I use it by the pool to do teleconferences over VOIP and do my day to day work emails.

Referencing the fact that "nobody ever complains about their iPad".

My friends in IT say that nobody complains about their iPad because they feel like a pariah in an otherwise devout congregation of loyal followers.

#58 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

I figure the biggest reason to get an android tablet would be so that you can video chat with anyone - even when you're not on wifi and you don't have to root your device to do it.

I've owned a motorola Xoom (stingray) since launch day on verizon. I admit that Honeycomb was slow and irritating at times, but it did what I needed it to do. I finally got fucking sick of Verizon dicking us around on the ICS update so I flashed the AOKP ROM to it with ICS 4.0.4 and its everything that I have ever wanted in a tablet. I use it by the pool to do teleconferences over VOIP and do my day to day work emails.

Referencing the fact that "nobody ever complains about their iPad".

My friends in IT say that nobody complains about their iPad because they feel like a pariah in an otherwise devout congregation of loyal followers.

My wife says the new OS upgrade of her iPad has fixed the constant crashes. Everyone with a gen 1 iPad was complaining as far as I could tell.

My new Galaxy Tab-2 7 inch is wonderful and very good outside. Much better outside than the gen 1 iPad. Don't know about the later generation iPads though.

Allen

#59 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

We picked up the iPad gen 3 for my mother-in-law to do primarily emails with her grandchildren. The display is stunning indoors but not so good outside. My brother-in-law has a 7" Galaxy Tab (Honeycomb) he uses on his boat. The display is better than the iPad outside . I've got a Motorola Droid X (Gingerbread). We both downloaded the Navionics east coast charts about a year back for something like $9.95 at the then Google Marketplace. I could see no difference in the functionality between his tablet and my phone with this program. I use it as my "3rd backup GPS" when cruising. It is also my 3G Wifi hotspot if there isn't free Wifi where I cruise. My phone is rooted and I run Foxfi for the free Wifi hotspot app and tether my netbook that has all the boat stuff on it.

#60 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

We picked up the iPad gen 3 for my mother-in-law to do primarily emails with her grandchildren. The display is stunning indoors but not so good outside. My brother-in-law has a 7" Galaxy Tab (Honeycomb) he uses on his boat. The display is better than the iPad outside . I've got a Motorola Droid X (Gingerbread). We both downloaded the Navionics east coast charts about a year back for something like $9.95 at the then Google Marketplace. I could see no difference in the functionality between his tablet and my phone with this program. I use it as my "3rd backup GPS" when cruising. It is also my 3G Wifi hotspot if there isn't free Wifi where I cruise. My phone is rooted and I run Foxfi for the free Wifi hotspot app and tether my netbook that has all the boat stuff on it.

+1 on foxfi. You dont need to be rooted to use it either. Search the marketplace for it...4g wifi hotspot wherever i go (near Boston anyway), its faster then my cable network at home

#61 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Thanks

TOG

It is possible today to do much of that today. We sell a box that we are soon to advertise on sailing anarchy that connects your tablet to the boat using UDP packets. (very fast data rate) Getting routes to the chartplotter will happen in the future I bet but a solution requires a software interface and development that has not happened yet. The chartplotter will be obsolete because there is just so much more you can do with tablets for cheaper, and you don't have to cut ugly holes in your boat. We are DMK Yacht if you want to see it work with to chartplot or show AIS check our www.dmkyacht.com/inavx

Checked it out. Interesting and thanks for stating the issue of what is coming. I may give you a call to discuss. Only issue is it seems you are iJobs system. Are you working on Android?

#62 Distance

Distance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

Thanks

TOG

Checked it out. Interesting and thanks for stating the issue of what is coming. I may give you a call to discuss. Only issue is it seems you are iJobs system. Are you working on Android?

We are working on an Android version using the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system. This was the first Android system that is compatible with our UDP packets that we broadcast. Before that the Android stuff required a TCP connection which was a direction we did not want to go because it was slower and less reliable. We are testing with iRegatta and a Galaxy tablet but for the near future an iOS device will be required with you want to customize the setup of our box. That is just because we are a small company so we have to prioritize our development

#63 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

So I have the opportunity to get a Razr Maxx. Review says: "Motorola has designed what they call an HD Station for the Droid Razr MAXX 4G that allows you to hook the powerful processor in the handset up to a keyboard, mouse and a large screen HDTV. This delivers a desktop experience supported by cloud computing services that let you run Android applications and surf the web using Motorola’s WebTop browser. There are also three USB ports on the optional HD Station accessory, enhancing connectivity options."

Thoughts?

#64 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hi,
I am going to discuss about Pizza Hut coupon. The Pizza Hut coupon codes or printable coupons are very useful for the regular customers of pizza hut. These coupons of codes can be used for various purposes. Some codes may offer 50% discount on your order, some coupon codes offer up to 83% discount. You can also use your coupon for free delivery only.

pizza hut coupon codes

Nigerian Prince Scam alert

#65 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

So I have the opportunity to get a Razr Maxx. Review says: "Motorola has designed what they call an HD Station for the Droid Razr MAXX 4G that allows you to hook the powerful processor in the handset up to a keyboard, mouse and a large screen HDTV. This delivers a desktop experience supported by cloud computing services that let you run Android applications and surf the web using Motorola’s WebTop browser. There are also three USB ports on the optional HD Station accessory, enhancing connectivity options."

Thoughts?

I absolutely LOVE my DROID RAZR MAXX. Fantastic machine, best gadget I've ever owned. Very long battery life, was able to run navigation software continuously using Google Maps, and the $10 Marine Navionics software is stunning. I navigated around Kaneohe Bay (which is full of reefs) and made the passage from Oahu to Kauai using this device. Had a glitch off Kilauea and lost the last part of our track, but we were nearly home by then. See Image Gallery: routes and tracks, Kaneohe to Hanalei from log page.

P.S. Forgot to mention that the Droid worked fine inside a ziplock bag, no problem with the touch screen.

#66 harro

harro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:sailing!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

Just bought a Chinese Tablet PC for 121 Euros and navionics software for tablet for 30.24 Euros.

It's called a Flytouch 6 Tablet. It has a 10.2" screen and runs Android 4.0 as the operating system. It has a 1GHz CPU, 1GB ram and 16GB storage.

Ordered it on Wednesday and it arrived from Hong Kong on Monday by DHL. Postage was free!

My link

Tablet is quite good itself and comes with an external GPS aerial.

Unlike iPad the Android tablet had USB ports HDMI, LAN port and has a slot to expand memory with Micro SD cards. The iPad does have a much better screen capacitive screen but the Android is more flexible. The iPad capacitive screen requires a touch from a finger to operate it so it can't be operated if it is in a protect cover. The Tablet I bought has a resistive screen so it can be operated through a protective cover or a stylus instead of a wet finger!

Got a waterproof case for 2.99 and 2 car chargers for 6 Euros, (1 for car, 1 for boat)

Downloaded Navionics UK and Holland from their website.
The tablet isn't on the Navionics approved tablets list but decided to try it anyway. Worked fine initially but then crashed. Navionics support were unwilling to help. Diagnosed it myself and found that there was an incompatibility problem with the version of Google Maps available for Android 4.0 and Navionics. So, reset Tablet to factory settings and reinstalled all my other apps except Google Maps. Reinstalled Navionics and it has worked fine for the last week.

Con: Can't be connected to DSC VHF radio. Screen isn't bright enough to use outdoors, best used in cabin or under sail hood.

Pro. Price. Can be used as a PC, entertainment centre, communications centre, can be connected to internet by wifi or through smartphone. Unlike iPad has Flash player, usb ports, Micro SD card slot for memory expansion. Price

#67 Paddy

Paddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

The Toshiba 7.7 excite was just released, claims to be sunlight readable, amoled screed, GPS. $$.

http://www.engadget....ite-7-7-review/

#68 Wet Spreaders

Wet Spreaders

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

1337623155[/url]' post='3721895']
Worth checking out the iAIS for Digital Yacht if you're interested in getting AIS/boat data over to an iPAD/tablet/PC and don't already have AIS. We're still working through how to get the instrument data over as the Nexus Classic doesn't use checksums, but otherwise works great. Biggest downside on the iPAD is trying to use it in much light, and concern about it getting wet. Also check out Ram Mounts for some nice mounting options. As someone else mentioned, have a Panasonic Tougbook CF-29 that literally will not die. Playing with a Panasonic CF-H2, great piece of kit, but not cheap.

I have this setup with iRegatta. Works well with the NMEA data from my NKE instruments, but gets checksum errors from the AIS, which originates inside the Digital Yacht unit. Weird, but maybe related to weak reception of the AIS signals. Next step is to check the VHF splitter.

#69 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

I tested iRegatta's time to the line function and it was terrible. I suggested a new algorithm to the author and he implemented it. Works much better now in my preliminary testing. I am saying this so that people who gave up on can give it a second chance. I hope to try it in a race situation in the next couple of weeks and will write up the results on my web site. I would love to hear from others who have tried it since my algorithm was implemented (version 2.91 on June 3).

Allen
L-36.com

#70 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Worth Waiting For?

How much do ya suppose it'll cost? Lots of raves for a clay mock-up!

TOG

#71 bbr

bbr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

Worth Waiting For?

How much do ya suppose it'll cost? Lots of raves for a clay mock-up!

TOG

The Microsoft Surface Pro (the full Windows 8 version) looks like it will be a great tablet... There are several others from various makers coming out later this year which should be equally as good... I'll probably wait for the Toshiba version of it as I've owned 6 Toshiba laptops (as well as a few other brands) over the years and I find them the best, especially in a marine environment...

Being able to install any Windows software makes the Windows 8 tablets a clear winner for me... just install OpenCPN (or Deckman, Expedition, etc.) and you're rolling...

Bill

PS - I watched the Microsoft Surface presentation the other night and they were showing operational prototypes, so it was more than a clay mock-up... they only have to wait a couple more months until Windows 8 is in production and Microsoft will start selling the the Windows RT version... The other Windows 8 tablet makers will hopefully have some available then as well...

#72 Distance

Distance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

I tested iRegatta's time to the line function and it was terrible. I suggested a new algorithm to the author and he implemented it. Works much better now in my preliminary testing. I am saying this so that people who gave up on can give it a second chance. I hope to try it in a race situation in the next couple of weeks and will write up the results on my web site. I would love to hear from others who have tried it since my algorithm was implemented (version 2.91 on June 3).

Allen
L-36.com

I'm using iRegatta 3.0 with my DMK Box and it is working very well for startline countdowns. I've taken some vids of us starting that I want to get up on U-tube soon to show how well it works. It takes some practice though as you need a rough idea of how fast you will get to the line once you pour on the gas.

#73 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

Allen
L-36.com

I'm using iRegatta 3.0 with my DMK Box and it is working very well for startline countdowns. I've taken some vids of us starting that I want to get up on U-tube soon to show how well it works. It takes some practice though as you need a rough idea of how fast you will get to the line once you pour on the gas.

Distance,

What are you using for your display device?

I did a race Tuesday with a Samsung Galaxy Tab-2 7 inch tablet and it was so hard to read the display that I somehow ended up with a bad set for the starting line that we didn't discover until we were in our sequence so it ended up being useless for our start. The most difficult things to read were the buttons for setting the pin and boat, both of which are rather low contrast to start with and the feedback is, as the Rolling Stones said, under your thumb. Or under your finger as the case may be. The point is, I could not tell if I had set the line or not even after multiple attempts and in the end apparently I had not. The good news is that we won the race anyway even though we were about 13 seconds late at the start (midline sag). We won by over 2 minutes so lots of margin.

Allen

#74 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:04 AM

http://techcrunch.co...gged-ipad-case/
http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/cases/ipad-2/

LifeProof has made a name for itself as a maker of super rugged iPhone cases that you can take in the ocean, to the beach, or even to the top of Mt. Everest. This thing can survive in some surprising environments. But today, the company has finally answered the call for a LifeProof iPad case, the Nuud. The case vacuums against the glass panel on the iPad so that there’s no front screen protector, allowing for the same tactile interaction we’ve all grown so fond of on Apple’ tablet.

#75 Pewit

Pewit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Along with mounting, what are people using for cases for their tablets? I have an ipad I'm looking to take on board for bermuda. In the past I've used the Aquapac series of cases with good luck, so tempted to go back to them. Any other recommendations? Something that is waterproof and easy to mount? Looking in the sub $100 range, no $400 Defender case.

I've used the soft pouch-type cases before which work OK if you are holding the unit in your hand as the screen visibility isn't good in bright sunlight.

However, I'm now looking at mounting an iPad on a bulkhead on a Flying Tiger (so we can run iRegattaand replace all the single-function devices with a $10 app!).

I have found the following Waterproof hard cases for the iPad Griifin Survivor, Otterbox Defender, Aryca Rock or Lifedge

I note that only the Lifedge has a bracket available as an accessory for mounting on a bulkhead and it's thin enough not get hooked by an errant sheet - whereas the others seem more bulky - although this does make charging/headphone ports available which may be an issue for cruisers.

#76 Distance

Distance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

Allen
L-36.com

Distance,

What are you using for your display device?

I did a race Tuesday with a Samsung Galaxy Tab-2 7 inch tablet and it was so hard to read the display that I somehow ended up with a bad set for the starting line that we didn't discover until we were in our sequence so it ended up being useless for our start. The most difficult things to read were the buttons for setting the pin and boat, both of which are rather low contrast to start with and the feedback is, as the Rolling Stones said, under your thumb. Or under your finger as the case may be. The point is, I could not tell if I had set the line or not even after multiple attempts and in the end apparently I had not. The good news is that we won the race anyway even though we were about 13 seconds late at the start (midline sag). We won by over 2 minutes so lots of margin.

Allen

Congratulations on the victory! I use an iPod touch. However it is not too sunny up here in Seattle lately. The biggest issue I had was making sure my fingers were warm enough to hit the timer on time. I was late and there is not a good way to reset the timer a minute short. However in general use iRegatta takes a little practice to use and as you know is only going to be one tool of many to help in your race. Attached is a video of two of our beercan starts this year. They weren't bad considering we started from more than a minute out and had pretty good timing on the line. This was not grand prix racing either though.

#77 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

Congratulations on the victory! I use an iPod touch. However it is not too sunny up here in Seattle lately. The biggest issue I had was making sure my fingers were warm enough to hit the timer on time. I was late and there is not a good way to reset the timer a minute short. However in general use iRegatta takes a little practice to use and as you know is only going to be one tool of many to help in your race. Attached is a video of two of our beercan starts this year. They weren't bad considering we started from more than a minute out and had pretty good timing on the line. This was not grand prix racing either though.

You use an iPod touch. What do you use for the GPS and how does it talk to the touch?

#78 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

at least where i am

the lenovo a1 seems to be the best bang for buck, quality name, 7inch android tablet with a true gps chip

http://www.mobiletec...d-A1-Tablet.htm

http://www.ebay.com/...k-/270866012637

but with the way things change i doubt i would buy a new tablet that wasn't at least android 4

the other day our 1st gen asus transformer updated itself to android 4.03 the lenovo won't do that

#79 Distance

Distance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

You use an iPod touch. What do you use for the GPS and how does it talk to the touch?

I use it with the DMK Box and its GPS. It makes a wifi connection directly between the touch and my instruments. This way I have a rapid update GPS and the wind data tied in to make the most of the app. It's been cool to build the polars as well.

#80 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

for us$199

you'd have to consider the new google/asus nexus 7, announced yesterday

8hr battery, quad core chip, the next version of android, 4.1, jellybean, true gps, accelerometer?, magnetic field compass etc

and chrome for android browser

http://www.slashgear...-ipad-28236106/

#81 jacrider

jacrider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

While I have been enjoying my Asus Transformer, I just received a Samsung Galaxy Note to trial from work. Huge 5.25" screen (for a phone), 4G, Android, GPS.

I have loaded Navionics, mobileGRIB and some other weather apps. Will try it this weekend.

Only complaint so far is my carrier hasn't pushed out the 4.0.x upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich. Hopefully soon.

#82 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

While I have been enjoying my Asus Transformer, I just received a Samsung Galaxy Note to trial from work. Huge 5.25" screen (for a phone), 4G, Android, GPS.

I have loaded Navionics, mobileGRIB and some other weather apps. Will try it this weekend.

Only complaint so far is my carrier hasn't pushed out the 4.0.x upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich. Hopefully soon.

The Google Nexus Galaxy phone is basically the same as the Samsung Galaxy but has ICS and is unlocked. My son has one and he loves it.

I have done testing on my Samsung Tab-2 7 and was disappointed. It is too hard to read and the apps have text that is too small to read across the cockpit when I mounted the tab on the bulkhead. Having crew hold a phone actually worked out better. This may be the way to go. Small enough to fit in your pocket and hold in your hand, but big enough to read.

Let us know how you like it on the water.

Allen

#83 erdb

erdb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

for us$199

8hr battery, quad core chip, the next version of android, 4.1, jellybean, true gps, accelerometer?, magnetic field compass etc

I just picked up a 16 GB nexus 7 yesterday for $249. Seems nice, will see how useful it is on the boat. One issue (which is apparently a problem with iPads and other tablets, too) is that the screen goes blank in landscape orientation if you look at it with polarized sunglasses.

#84 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

for us$199

I just picked up a 16 GB nexus 7 yesterday for $249. Seems nice, will see how useful it is on the boat. One issue (which is apparently a problem with iPads and other tablets, too) is that the screen goes blank in landscape orientation if you look at it with polarized sunglasses.

How does it work in bright sunlight with nothing but water, boat, and sky around? I have a Galaxy Tab-2 7 and although it is readable in bright sun, it is not readable for all applications so it is disappointing in that way. Specifically, I cannot read some of the lower contrast buttons on iRegatta. I would love to know how the Nexus-7 compares.

#85 erdb

erdb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

for us$199

How does it work in bright sunlight with nothing but water, boat, and sky around? I have a Galaxy Tab-2 7 and although it is readable in bright sun, it is not readable for all applications so it is disappointing in that way. Specifically, I cannot read some of the lower contrast buttons on iRegatta. I would love to know how the Nexus-7 compares.

I didn't have the time to test it yet, but if I manually crank up the brightness, it looks really nice and bright. I've been using an old HP PDA for quite a few years with an app similar to iRegatta that I made for myself. I made a black box for it that's attached to the underside of the companion hatch with the PDA angled up slightly so that the box eliminates all reflections. I'll see if I can make something like that for the tablet, but the fact that I have to use it in portrait mode will make it more difficult for sure.

#86 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

for us$199

I didn't have the time to test it yet, but if I manually crank up the brightness, it looks really nice and bright. I've been using an old HP PDA for quite a few years with an app similar to iRegatta that I made for myself. I made a black box for it that's attached to the underside of the companion hatch with the PDA angled up slightly so that the box eliminates all reflections. I'll see if I can make something like that for the tablet, but the fact that I have to use it in portrait mode will make it more difficult for sure.

iRegatta is in landscape mode. If you get a chance, tell us how it is outside with the sky reflecting on the screen. I am working on a start line app right now and that is why I want to know. Funny -- small world.

#87 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

I absolutely LOVE my DROID RAZR MAXX. Fantastic machine, best gadget I've ever owned. Very long battery life, was able to run navigation software continuously using Google Maps, and the $10 Marine Navionics software is stunning. I navigated around Kaneohe Bay (which is full of reefs) and made the passage from Oahu to Kauai using this device. Had a glitch off Kilauea and lost the last part of our track, but we were nearly home by then. See Image Gallery: routes and tracks, Kaneohe to Hanalei from log page.

P.S. Forgot to mention that the Droid worked fine inside a ziplock bag, no problem with the touch screen.

My Navionics software has stopped working and is no longer available in the Android "Play Store" for the phone! This seriously sucks.

I don't know whether or not upgrading my phone to Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) recently has anything to do with it, but when I called Navionics this morning, I was told they are aware of the problem and have pulled the app from the "Play Store" until it is fixed, which will be "soon" - "maybe five minutes" (NOT!).

Damn, this is a pisser. Marine&Lakes: USA, Android phone version - If I were depending on this for navigation, I'd be screwed. UNACCEPTABLE!

#88 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

I had an old version, "US West", and they sent me the apk file when I got my ICS phone. I was going to upgrade (buy) the new version but they said the print was still so small you can't read it while underway.

Allen

#89 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

I had an old version, "US West", and they sent me the apk file when I got my ICS phone. I was going to upgrade (buy) the new version but they said the print was still so small you can't read it while underway.

Allen

True! Still, it worked well enough until it just stopped working. Grrr...

#90 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

Main point, if you have an old version they can probably send it to you and it will work.

#91 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

Main point, if you have an old version they can probably send it to you and it will work.

Bought mine in late May. Nothing I can do to re-install or update until it re-appears in the Android "Play Store", whenever they're good and ready. Not that my life depends on it, but this FAIL could be a major headache if the Navionics mobile app were used as a primary means of navigation. I don't care what their disclaimer may say about intended use, this is really annoying.

#92 Ultraman

Ultraman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

If I were depending on this for navigation, I'd be screwed. UNACCEPTABLE!

You would depend on a $20 App for navigation, then get all upset if it stopped working?

#93 bbr

bbr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

My Navionics software has stopped working and is no longer available in the Android "Play Store" for the phone! This seriously sucks.

I don't know whether or not upgrading my phone to Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) recently has anything to do with it, but when I called Navionics this morning, I was told they are aware of the problem and have pulled the app from the "Play Store" until it is fixed, which will be "soon" - "maybe five minutes" (NOT!).

Damn, this is a pisser. Marine&Lakes: USA, Android phone version - If I were depending on this for navigation, I'd be screwed. UNACCEPTABLE!

They did the same thing to me... I use the Nokia/Symbian version on my Nokia E7 and since updating to the latest version of the OS the Navionics app has a small problem... I wrote to Navionics and they told me that they don't support that version... period...

Navionics obviously doesn't care about their customers once they get their money from them...

#94 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

If I were depending on this for navigation, I'd be screwed. UNACCEPTABLE!

You would depend on a $20 App for navigation, then get all upset if it stopped working?

$10 app. And damn right I'm upset about it! According to reviews in the Play Store and comments on other forums, I'm far from alone in experiencing this problem and feeling sabotaged. It's less about the money than suddenly losing a valuable tool.

From what I can tell, this Navionics failure has nothing to do with the upgrade to Android Ice Cream Sandwich, but in a similar vein, the ICS upgrade disabled Flash support in some cases, specifically the local web cam that allowed me to view the bay. I didn't pay anything extra for Flash support but am still annoyed that a very useful feature of a new phone suddenly stopped working, without any recourse except patience. In both cases, somebody fucked up bad and broke my phone.

#95 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

$10 app. And damn right I'm upset about it! According to reviews in the Play Store and comments on other forums, I'm far from alone in experiencing this problem and feeling sabotaged. It's less about the money than suddenly losing a valuable tool.

From what I can tell, this Navionics failure has nothing to do with the upgrade to Android Ice Cream Sandwich, but in a similar vein, the ICS upgrade disabled Flash support in some cases, specifically the local web cam that allowed me to view the bay. I didn't pay anything extra for Flash support but am still annoyed that a very useful feature of a new phone suddenly stopped working, without any recourse except patience. In both cases, somebody fucked up bad and broke my phone.

I've been checking every day since I mentioned this and today the full suite of Navionics apps finally re-appeared in the Play Store. Prices have changed and vary by location. I got my free update and it seems to work great so far; haven't noticed any difference yet - except that it works again! Very handy. Marine&Lakes: USA, Android phone version

#96 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

I've been checking every day since I mentioned this and today the full suite of Navionics apps finally re-appeared in the Play Store. Prices have changed and vary by location. I got my free update and it seems to work great so far; haven't noticed any difference yet - except that it works again! Very handy. Marine&Lakes: USA, Android phone version

Can you tell me if the letting still is too small to read* and pops small after zooming in on it? Maybe they fixed it. I know they were getting a lot of complaints.

* on a bouncing boat without reading glasses

#97 Ocean View

Ocean View

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

I had a play with one of these the other day.

Will be a nice unit to have on deck when it comes out - not as cheap as some of you desire - but the screens got good sunlight view ability and it's IP65 and Mil spec rated.

It's due out the end of this month.

http://www.ruggedpcr...ac_z710_400.jpg

Posted Imageh

There is a short review here
http://www.ruggedpcr...getac_z710.html

#98 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

For those of you who have already bought and are using a tablet.

How is the screen in the sun?

Is there anything that can be bought to improve it?

Thanks.

#99 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

For those of you who have already bought and are using a tablet.

How is the screen in the sun?

Is there anything that can be bought to improve it?

Thanks.

I have written a couple of articles on L-36.com about tablets onboard. There are some photos so you can see what they look like. The problem with them is that the surface is smooth glass and the reflections of a bright deck or sky make them basically unusable. What you can do to make them readable is tilt them and move y our head around to get a better reflection, get them in the shade, or best yet put them in the cabin which is what I ended up doing. Out in the cockpit, a phone seems better than a tablet as it is easier to hold and get a good angle on. The worst thing you can do it put them in a waterproof bag like I tried at first. Then you get two reflective surfaces and one is all wavy, making it even worse. Actually, the worst thing is putting a tablet in a waterproof bag and putting it in a fixed location where it gets deck reflections and you can't tilt it when you want. The application specifics and make a difference. Basically you want big high contrast displays, white on black or black on white. The articles go into more detail if you are interested but this is the bottom line.

Here are some links
My link

My link

Allen

#100 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

Can you tell me if the letting still is too small to read* and pops small after zooming in on it? Maybe they fixed it. I know they were getting a lot of complaints.

* on a bouncing boat without reading glasses

No change at all. Still too small to read, even with glasses on a big, stable catamaran. Only way I can read depth is to pause while zooming in (spreading fingers) to read the momentarily larger text, before the chart updates with very small numbers. Or use the "?" feature and then look at "Depth area". Still very handy, though, for course, speed and saving a track that can be viewed in Google Earth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users