51 replies to this topic

#1 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

The Contender Worlds comes to Florida this year, organized and run by Saint Petersburg Yacht Club. Sailing will be off the Gulf beaches at the Tradewinds Resort hotels. Nice fine Florida sand. But a chance for surf to make launching interesting. Racing starts Tuesday, April 24 and ends Saturday, each day starting at noon, sea breeze time.
The Open championship was held Thursday through Saturday this week. But stormy weather narowed the sailing to Friday only. Three races were held in 10 knots or less of breeze. Results at spyc.org shows sailors from Germany first and third, Italy second and Florida's Ethan Bixby fourth. Racers also came from Australia, Great Brittain,The Netherlands,Denmark and Canada in the 31-boat fleet.
Bixby is using a carbon mast with no spreaders. The lowers are higher than the usual carbon mast configuration. He claims that it is no faster or slower than the standard rig. "Just easier," he said.
Reports will be posted after each day of racing, starting Tuesday evening.
Dave Ellis
(former Contender sailor, now too old!)

#2 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

Finally! Wasz hoping for a post! And your never too old!

#3 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

The Contender Worlds comes to Florida this year, organized and run by Saint Petersburg Yacht Club. Sailing will be off the Gulf beaches at the Tradewinds Resort hotels. Nice fine Florida sand. But a chance for surf to make launching interesting. Racing starts Tuesday, April 24 and ends Saturday, each day starting at noon, sea breeze time.
The Open championship was held Thursday through Saturday this week. But stormy weather narowed the sailing to Friday only. Three races were held in 10 knots or less of breeze. Results at spyc.org shows sailors from Germany first and third, Italy second and Florida's Ethan Bixby fourth. Racers also came from Australia, Great Brittain,The Netherlands,Denmark and Canada in the 31-boat fleet.
Bixby is using a carbon mast with no spreaders. The lowers are higher than the usual carbon mast configuration. He claims that it is no faster or slower than the standard rig. "Just easier," he said.
Reports will be posted after each day of racing, starting Tuesday evening.
Dave Ellis
(former Contender sailor, now too old!)

How about a link to the event - or results.

#4 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

Results will be at spyc.org
The Open regatta is posted.
They are pretty good about posting as soon as protests are done each day of racing.
Starts Tuesday. They are good. But not THAT good on posting.
Dave Ellis

#5 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

http://www.spyc.org/...id=242763&vnf=1

not that hard SW

#6 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Neil Smith's first video:

OK, I'm a Luddite.
But I also am a volunteer.
Too many snide remarks and I'll just enjoy the regatta and not spend time and risk expensive video equipment to spread the word.....
Rant over.
Hopefully, Neil will do the posting of the video starting Tuesday night. I shoot, he posts.
Dave Ellis

#7 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Just ignore Gyby he cannot help himself, the rest of us will be very appreciative of your work.

Shame about the storm so you could not sail two days for the Open. I am hoping for good breeze for your worlds and will be watching with interest.

My pick will be a German to win with a Aussie sniffing close by.

#8 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hi
Thiose not sailing may take interest in couple beach web Camera's around local hotels forthe COntender worlds

http://www.baynews9.com/Sky9.html - go to the tradewinds camera (Camera pointing NW over launch/ Race area)

http://www.myfoxtamp...ach_live_webcam - is the Sirata beach resort whish is property directly to south ( Camera pointing W - Sw)

http://www2.tbo.com/...cams-don-cesar/ - Is Camera on the Loews Don Ceasar hotel - (currently pointing S due to strong NW wind

And finally one at the tradewinds but as of today they have pointed to the S by SW and shows more of beach then race area (they may change when weather improves)
http://www.tradewind...m/beachcam.aspx

Forwarded from the Contender group.....

#9 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

thanks for the 4 links

#10 Ethan Bixby

Ethan Bixby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

Also, you can got to zangzing and see photos that Gil Wooley and other are posting. They are not really sorted, but many good shots.
http://www.zangzing.com/gilwo/2012-usa-open-st-petersburg/photos
I think there will be a bunch of shots of day 2 of the US Open up soon too!
First measurement day was very effective, and there are only a few boats left to do, mostly sails and blades. And it looks like 20 knots Monday and I am confident aeveryone can get through the surf ok if they want to go for a sail.
Thanks,
Ethan

thanks for the 4 links

#11 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Go Stephanie!

#12 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

Wow... Thanks for all the links guys, though I'm still on the fence whether I'd rather be there or here (if I didn't have 2 exams this week I'd be down racing with you guys)... Best of luck to everyone! I hope the weather proves to be absolutely champagne sailing with minimal breakages.

I'll be watching with the utmost interest to see who prevails. I'm rooting for a Canadian upset!

#13 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Good job, Mr. Bixby.

#14 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing, motorcycle road racing.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Great stuff, thx for the pix, keep 'em coming! Go Fishing Mikey!

#15 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Two great races the first day of the Contender Worlds.
Not much problem getting off the beach. The left-over swells were there, but the wind was along the beach, making for easier taking off. Some still had spectacular swims. The tourists on the beach enjoyed the show. The sailors cringed.
Triangle, Windward, Leeward finish to Windward. About an hour each race.
Long way from first group to last group to finish. All had grins, though. Or maybe some were gimaces. I think I learned a cuss word in Italian when Ethan Bixby got by at ITA boat in the last bit of the second race.
Results not posted yet. No surprises.
Lots of video taken. Neil Smith has the raw film to play with.
More to come.
5:00 PM Eastern Standard time USA at the moment.
Dave Ellis

#16 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Still awaiting results to be posted at spyc.org.
There is an International Jury involved, as in all World Championships. So results are only posted when everything is settled.
Winds were from 325 to 350 degrees direction, usually averaging 340-345. Many shifts to play upwind and down.
Also puffs, as the wind varied from 7 to 12 knots. Boats nearby may get quite a bit more, or less, wind. Swells were about five feet high, but pretty far apart, moving from a bit left of the wind direction. The wind waves were choppy. Lots of tiller action used by some skippers. Lots of swimming by others, usually due to lulls and bodies "shrimping" the wave.
Luca Bonezzi got whistled by the jury boat for a Rule 42 infraction on the first reach leg of the second race. Dropped him back from close to second to below 10th at that point.
More to come.
Dave Ellis
Rescue/media boat

#17 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

GO LARRY

#18 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

10 PM at the regatta venue. No results posted yet.
See you in the morning...... My bedtime.
Dave Ellis

#19 Red Dragon

Red Dragon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Interests:Acquiring as many scars as is possible.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

This is really, really cool. What a great event for the SPYC to be hosting.

RD

#20 Andy P

Andy P

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Did I see a daggerboard rudder? How does that work? - or measure ;)

#21 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Rudder blade, which measures to the rule, slides down a cassette, which has the pintles/gudgeons the right distance off the transom.
There are also kick-up rudders and maybe even some in the class that does neither. Many launch off beaches, such as at this venue, so a rudder that can be "retracted' is convenient.
Watching the fleet launch off the beach with surf it is noted that lots of time is spent at the back of the boat, even with cassette and kick-up rudders.
I'll ask what the deal is with reults this morning before leaving the dock.
Dave Ellis

#22 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hi Andy.

The cassette style rudder works just fine especially launching and returning in the surf. The blade matches the template and the cassette and blade get weighed together. Top ten after day one are:

Joachim Harpprecht 6
Soren Andreason 7

Giovanni Bonzio 7

Luca Bonezzi 10

Antonio Lambertini 11

Dan Kohlman 12

Ethan Bixby 15

Richard Kingsmill 16

Christoph Homeier 17

Gemot Goetz 22

FM

#23 simbert

simbert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

What happened to those wood ramps at St. Pete???

#24 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

Ramps at St. Pete YC Sailing Center are fancy aluminum now.
However, this regatta is being held off a Gulf beach at the Tradewinds Resort. About seven miles west of the Tampa Bay club.
SPYC bought Pass-a-Grille YC out there a few years ago as an annex. No launching facilities at that venue. So off the beach with its sometimes crashing surf. But also palm trees, parachute pulling tourist boats sometimes going into the course, bikinis everywhere. Better breeze on the Gulf of Mexico anyhow.
Dave Ellis

#25 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

Day two saw a nearly two hour postponement awaiting the six knot minimum sustained wind. Sailors enjoyed the beach sights at the resort and did the usual gabbing.
Finally an onshore breeze of 6 - 8 filled in. Triangle, windward, leeward, finish to windward, about .9 mile legs, shortened a bit for the last leg. Since the start line was set up about a quarter mile from the beach, the smart boats tacked to port along the shore to take advantage of the shore affect wind more directly on shore. Then when they tacked back to starboard the ambient wind offshore give them the inside lift. But almost all the top guys went that way, so it was really tight at the top. Ethan Bixby of the home Florida club and Giovanni Bonzio had a fine battle, even though GB had to do a 720 after not giving room at the bottom mark. Uh, the judges were not around during the downwind leg. He got by Ethan on that leg and just held on by a couple feet at the finish.
The second race of the day saw a little more breeze with fewer holes. Same strategy worked, with a little shorter leg.
After four races Joachim Harpprecht, the winner of the weather-shortened Open regatta here last week, stands in first with 16 points.
Tied for second two points back are Italians Antonio Lambertini and Giovanni Bonzio with Ethan Bixby in fourth with 23. Soren Dulong Andreasen is one point back in sixth. Luca Bonezzi is saddled with at 18th in the first race today and is back in 8th place. Results of the first two races are posted as of Wednesday evening. Hopefully all four races by morning.
spyc.org
Dave Ellis
Safety Boat guy

#26 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,250 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:01 AM

thanks for the write-ups, Dave.

#27 simbert

simbert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Ramps at St. Pete YC Sailing Center are fancy aluminum now.
However, this regatta is being held off a Gulf beach at the Tradewinds Resort. About seven miles west of the Tampa Bay club.
SPYC bought Pass-a-Grille YC out there a few years ago as an annex. No launching facilities at that venue. So off the beach with its sometimes crashing surf. But also palm trees, parachute pulling tourist boats sometimes going into the course, bikinis everywhere. Better breeze on the Gulf of Mexico anyhow.
Dave Ellis

bikinis everywhere! I rest my case:)

#28 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Absolutely gorgeous day today. Sunshine with temperatures in the mid 80s.
But we never did get the required six knots of sustained wind.
Got a good tan, well, a bit of a burn, sitting on an open power boat all day checking for wind. But not to be.
So the standings after four races remain the same.
They have been posted (Yea!) s
spyc.org.
Dave Ellis

#29 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Any youtube? Love those contenders, an easier laser almost.

Well I'm sure it's far more technical but you can get the single sail fun on trapeze.

Have fun guys!

#30 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Looks like close racing, especially between the front boats, nobody has won more than a single race and only 8 points separate first and fifth (not much considering they're all averaging 4-6 points/race).

Sucks to have postponement up, but I can't think of a better place than a bikini-laden beach in Florida...

#31 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

http://www.spyc.org/...w&itemID=270502

Chat with Schappi

Here are some interviews by competitor Neil Smith:

and from the US open

Chat with Ethan

Chat with Gil

#32 Ethan Bixby

Ethan Bixby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Gil has added a bunch of photos on the ZangZing site. http://www.zangzing....-St-Petersburg. These are open to anyone to view and download if you want. Hope to have three races today in the afternoon sea breeze, but looking light again.
Ethan

#33 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Gil has added a bunch of photos on the ZangZing site. http://www.zangzing....-St-Petersburg. These are open to anyone to view and download if you want. Hope to have three races today in the afternoon sea breeze, but looking light again.
Ethan

As much as I love my boat in a bit of of breeze I equally despise it when there is no breeze or under 8 knots, I would rather stick splinters under my nails.

I have just bought a big fat head non-class legal main from Casso over in WA and this has rekindled my interest to sail the boat in low wind range breezes. At least the bloody thing moves now. I do not get to sail against many Contenders up where I live but have the a large and very competitive local Taser fleet. We share the same yard stick to 0.5, last week-end in breeze under 8 knots for the first time I was as fast up wind and a touch faster down wind, once the breeze came up for the second race at around 10-12 knots I cleared out and daylight second.

Not trying to change the world but a big fat head main is a lot of fun for club racing on the Contender.

#34 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

Day 1 sailing video here -

and chat with Antonio here -

Also fixed that Gil one to be public

#35 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

What a great day to race Contenders!
Three races. First one in breezes 6 - 9. Ethan Bixby ran away and hid from the fleet, extending on all legs except the reaches, to win by a long way.
The second race the sea breeze kicked it up a bit higher so that by the windward mark the Oscar Flag, turning off the Rule 42 kenetics, was flown. The heavier sailors came to the fore with Antonio Lambertini (of guess what country)won in a close battle with Christoph Homeler and Soren Dulong Andreasen.
Finally, a third race was held and nobody went to the beach. It was that nice out there in the Gulf. This time the wind gusted to 15 knots, dying a bit to 11-12 by the finish. It was Andreasen who loved the breeze and stretched out to an easy win. Dan Kohlman was second and Lambertini third.
The lighweight sailors were back in the fleet a bit in the wind, with Joachim Harpprecht finishing 7,8 and Ethan Bixby 12, 16.
The throwout is in effect.
Results will be on line tomorrow morning, I understand. spyc.org
But as a teaser, Giovanni Bonzio 21, Antonio Lambertini 22, Soren Dulong Andreasen 24, Joachim Harpprecht 29 and 1st Master, Ethan Bixby 36 and 2nd Master; Rodger White is first Grand Master in 18th place.
Hope to get two races in tomorrow, the last day. But cannot start a race after 3:00 PM so unlikely.
Dave Ellis
Sailwriter

#36 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

More from competitor Neil Smith:

Chat with Giovanni.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM, neil smith <g.a.neil.smith@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Schappi is leading after Day 1 with a first and a 5th. Racing postponed currently due to lack of wind but hoping to fill in later.

http://www.spyc.org/...w&itemID=270502

Chat with Schappi

and from the US open

Chat with Ethan

Chat with Gil

Cha

#37 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Today, Saturday, after an "AP" flag until the sea breeze started forming, a race go off a little after 1:30 PM. Winds westerly, on shore at around 7 knots.
I'll get more info later as the "Rescue" boat had a fuel problem. It is slow when you have to squeeze the fuel line ball at the back of the boat in order to get enough gas to idle home. Lots of gas in the tank. Just not getting to the engine.
More to come. Wonder if the lightweights will have their day and overcome the top three?
Dave Ellis
Sailwriter

#38 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Pl Sail # Sailor Subgroup Tot 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 315 Antonio Lambertini 18 (10) 1 5 2 (16) 1 3 2 4
2 ITA47 Giovanni Bonzio 22 4 3 1 (10) 3 (6) 4 5 2
3 1 Soren Dulong Andreasen 25 5 2 8 (9) 5 3 1 (9) 1
4 2459 Joachim Harpprecht Masters 35 1 5 7 3 6 7 (8) 6 (14)
5 2535 Ethan Bixby Masters 37 9 6 2 6 1 12 (16) 1 (17)
6 2360 Dan Kohlman 43 8 4 12 (18) 4 8 2 (14) 5
7 2136 Richard Kingsmill 46 7 9 4 (11) (45\OCS) 4 6 8 8
8 40 Luca Bonezzi 49 3 7 (18) 7 13 5 11 (45\OCS) 3
9 551 Christoph Homeier 50 6 11 (13) 13 (24) 2 5 7 6
10 2366 Markus Maisenbacher 56 11 17 3 1 (45\OCS) (19) 9 3 12
11 2508 Oliver Brandt 61 13 (19) 6 5 14 9 (17) 4 10
12 2390 Gernot Goetz 72 12 10 11 14 2 11 (45\OCS) 12 (16)
13 2522 Chris Boshier 84 (17) 8 15 12 (19) 15 10 17 7
14 NED2 Mark Thorborg Masters 91 2 (45\DNF) (22) 19 10 14 13 11 22
15 9 Paul Verhallen 95 16 14 (26) 8 (20) 13 15 18 11
16 111 Emilio Betta Grand Masters 96 (36) 16 17 24 (45\OCS) 10 7 13 9
17 2347 Martin Jones 98 18 12 10 (22) (22) 18 12 15 13
18 712 Rodger White Grand Masters 108 (25) 15 20 17 8 17 (24) 10 21
19 2481 Guiseppe Albano Masters 110 14 (22) 16 15 18 16 (45\OCS) 16 15
20 2375 Jonathan Vandervoort Masters 116 15 (27) 9 4 9 26 27 26 (32)
21 2471 Lars Bo Rasmussen Masters 122 21 18 14 16 11 (23) (28) 19 23
22 2397 Michael Smits Masters 124 (35) 20 19 20 12 20 14 (45\OCS) 19
23 2432 Jerry Hone Masters 150 24 28 25 21 7 21 (45\OCS) (29) 24
24 GBR2506 Tony White Grand Masters 152 19 26 (28) (31) 25 22 19 21 20
25 397 Michele Betta 153 23 21 21 23 15 (35) 21 (30) 29
26 2398 Neil Smith 159 26 23 (29) 27 (29) 25 20 20 18
27 2399 Roger Martin Masters 167 20 13 24 33 32 27 18 (45\OCS) (37)
28 2538 Nick Bell Masters 174 28 (32) 30 (34) 21 24 22 22 27
29 393 Luigi Tezza Grand Masters 181 (32) (31) 23 29 28 28 23 25 25
30 2537 Peter Hale Masters 185 29 30 (34) 30 17 30 (36) 23 26
31 2250 John McLean Masters 188 22 24 (33) 32 (45\OCS) 29 26 27 28
32 2525 Stephanie Mah Woman 206 30 34 (39) 25 26 33 34 24 (38)
33 2426 Pim Langendijk Masters 206 31 (33) 27 28 27 31 29 (35) 33
34 1771 Peter White Masters 221 34 29 (37) (38) 31 32 31 33 31
35 694 Bo Frohne Juniors 222 (40) 36 32 26 30 34 (37) 28 36
36 2117 Gil Woolley Grand Masters 232 38 39 (41) 36 33 (40) 25 31 30
37 1114 Jerome White Grand Masters 236 33 35 (36) 35 35 (38) 30 34 34
38 2498 Larry Christian Grand Masters 240 37 (40) 35 (45\DNF) 23 36 33 36 40
39 1599 Frank Whittington Grand Masters 246 (41) 38 31 37 34 37 32 37 (39)
40 81 Bernie Bieber Masters 253 (39) 37 38 (39) 37 39 35 32 35
41 US185 Mike Mashi Masters 275 (42) 41 (42) 40 36 41 38 38 41
42 1664 Joel Magnan 277 27 25 (45\DNC) (45\DNC) 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC
43 302 Piefranco Marchi Grand Masters 308 43 (45\DNS) 40 (45\DNS) 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC
44 2404 Roger Gates Grand Masters 315 (45\DNC) (45\DNC) 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC 45\DNC

Principal Race Officer: Tom Farquhar
Chief Judge: David Pelling
Scorekeeper: Barbara Shaffer

#39 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

Saturday was a copy of Friday. There was a delay waiting for the sea breeze. Then a sometimes trapezing first race and a good 15 knot second race.
The results show the difference, as Ethan again won the morning race in lighter stuff.
Boats being packed up and put in containers for Europe or on trailers for North American destinations.
Great food tonight at St. Petersburg Yacht Club, along with the usual fun trophy presentation.
SPYC would like to have the Contenders back one day. Had fun.
Dave Ellis
Sailwriter

#40 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:32 AM

That German chick, Stephanie, did great!

Almost beat Peter H.

#41 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Almost beat Peter H.

I thought she was from Sri Lanka...

#42 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Almost beat Peter H.

I thought she was from Sri Lanka...

Nobody knows where she's from, all we know is that she can sail a boat like a contender on par with the heavier boys, that's not easy...

From what I see on the results it looks like the fleet was providing good racing even at the front, it was far from domination by any one person which is awesome. I'd love to get a chance to do the contender worlds some time (maybe next time they're in NA)...

#43 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Yes, Stephanie Mah has been mixing it up with the North American Contender sailors for some time.
She never gives up.
Ever.
She never has been German, and doesn't plan to become one.
Her country on the sail is Canada.
Think of folks who rub noses as a kiss.
Delightful person.
Dave Ellis

#44 Ethan Bixby

Ethan Bixby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

There are a lot of photos at this site:
http://www.zangzing.com/gilwo/2012-USA-Open-St-Petersburg
It gives a good feel for the event, and more photos to come soon.
And now there are three new Contenders in North America now!
Thanks,
Ethan

Yes, Stephanie Mah has been mixing it up with the North American Contender sailors for some time.
She never gives up.
Ever.
Delightful person.
Dave Ellis

#45 Major Tom

Major Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy sailing, and good red wine!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

There are a lot of photos at this site:
http://www.zangzing....n-St-Petersburg
It gives a good feel for the event, and more photos to come soon.
And now there are three new Contenders in North America now!
Thanks,
Ethan

She never gives up.
Ever.
Delightful person.
Dave Ellis

Ethan, as one of the lighter sailors ( I am assuming this is the case from some of the above posts) would it not make sense to use a slightly softer rig and spreaders to allow a greater effective wind range for the rig?

#46 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

I would guess that Ethan is back at his North Sails Gulf Coast loft catching up on sail making after missing a week to sail the Worlds.
Observing masts, however, I can tell you that there was a difference in tip deflection sideways in the top one-third of the mast. More tip deflection for the lighter sailors and not nearly as much for the heavyweihts.
That is, at the top of the fleet.
I think Stephanie, for example, needs a more flaxable top area. Did not bend sideways as much as other lightweight sailors' did. Same with Larry Christian, just from a casual observation.
With the trapeze, of course, there is quite a bit of righting moment factor, even for those who are 150 - 170 pounds. (68 - 77 kg). At about 12 to 15 knots of breeze the heavier guys, with stiffer rigs were faster upwind.
Almost all the masts were carbon. And the sailors are all astute enough to match their mast to sail, by manufacturer of each.
Oh, and Ethan's mast had NO spreaders at all. Lower shrouds were a little higher than the others. But carbon was placed strategically to make the bend what he wanted. Worked for him, obviously.
Dave Ellis

#47 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,250 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I would guess that Ethan is back at his North Sails Gulf Coast loft catching up on sail making after missing a week to sail the Worlds.
Observing masts, however, I can tell you that there was a difference in tip deflection sideways in the top one-third of the mast. More tip deflection for the lighter sailors and not nearly as much for the heavyweihts.
That is, at the top of the fleet.
I think Stephanie, for example, needs a more flaxable top area. Did not bend sideways as much as other lightweight sailors' did. Same with Larry Christian, just from a casual observation.
With the trapeze, of course, there is quite a bit of righting moment factor, even for those who are 150 - 170 pounds. (68 - 77 kg). At about 12 to 15 knots of breeze the heavier guys, with stiffer rigs were faster upwind.
Almost all the masts were carbon. And the sailors are all astute enough to match their mast to sail, by manufacturer of each.
Oh, and Ethan's mast had NO spreaders at all. Lower shrouds were a little higher than the others. But carbon was placed strategically to make the bend what he wanted. Worked for him, obviously.
Dave Ellis

homemade or custom made rig?

#48 shiosai

shiosai

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

She never gives up.
Ever.
Delightful person.
Dave Ellis

Actually, I am just about to give up being awake. Me, Roger, and Mike are back in Toronto (so is winter, apparently) - we did a non-stopper with the three of us rotating among two cars and got in around noon today, cranky but otherwise fine.

Joachim Harpprecht (the bestest Contender builder in the world!) did provide me with a mast for a lighter sailor, so it was likely pilot error you were observing (e.g., me not pulling on enough cunningham).

Thanks for all the great coverage Dave - will hopefully see you next year at the midwinters!

And NYBOZO, you know damn well I'm Finnish.

#49 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

well you coulda fooled me.

not German, huh?

I stand corrected.

#50 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

Ya don't see too many home made carbon masts.
Larry Christian, perhaps. He can build anything.
Most are either off the shelf or, in the case of Ethan's, custom from a known manufacturer of Contender masts.
Dave Ellis

#51 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for all the great coverage Dave ...

Yes thanks from here too. Enjoyed it all vicariously!

FB- Doug

#52 contender_neil

contender_neil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

Here is a little video montage and chat with new World Champ - Antonio Lambertini

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users