• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

"Sailing alone around the world" by Slocum wasn't terrible and can be downloaded free from Gutenberg or a similar site.
The illustrations are worth downloading if you go that route.

+1

Have it on my Kindle and found it a great read.

WWing

#102 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

It is "A Race For Madmen", not voyage. It is a good one

Actually not -- it really is "A Voyage for Madmen" by Peter Nichols, even though it's about the first solo round the world race. Great story as others have said here - gripping in its description of David Crowhurst's deception, Nigel Tetley's race to get to England before his plywood trimaran disintegrated beneath him, and Bernard Motissier's decision (while waaay ahead of anyone else) to skip going north into the Atlantic and victory and to just go around again.

I also liked "Survive the Savage Sea" - story of a family's survival in an open dinghy after their boat was sunk by whales. One of the sons recently published his own version (dad wrote the first one) called "Last Voyage of the Lucette" but I haven't read it.

WWing

#103 De Plano

De Plano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Damn, you're right. I wonder how many people I have, apparently, told to read about the Tour de France.

#104 De Plano

De Plano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

I was disappointed that they made a movie about Crowhurst and it felt like the other racers were just incidental to the story.

Deep Water is the name of it, Googled it first, so that is reaaly the name of it ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users