123 replies to this topic

#1 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

First ride on a VX this weekend in our club's spring regatta. We have two registered, so a little match racing will be fun. Wind should be up, and it should be a kick in the pants!

I'm the fat guy on the boat, so I guess I'll take the place of the missing lead on the keel.

#2 J24_guy

J24_guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

First ride on a VX this weekend in our club's spring regatta. We have two registered, so a little match racing will be fun. Wind should be up, and it should be a kick in the pants!

I'm the fat guy on the boat, so I guess I'll take the place of the missing lead on the keel.

What's the basic difference between the VX and a Viper? I realize the Viper is an older design, but just visually they look quite similar. Only thing I noticed is that the VX reaches max beam much farther forward, and has a harder chine.

#3 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

What's the basic difference between the VX and a Viper? I realize the Viper is an older design, but just visually they look quite similar. Only thing I noticed is that the VX reaches max beam much farther forward, and has a harder chine.

Couldn't tell you anything that's not already been written. I've never even seen the boat.

#4 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Same paternal DNA so they should have similarities.. No chine at all on a Viper.. Chines are great if you have traps and can keep the boat bone flat, otherwise you are dragging the chine around all the time.

In theory / propaganda the VX is a 2 person boat, but from the pics I have seen, in 18+ both crew need will need to be "Star" size.. I think you need at least 500lbs to drive the boat uphill in a blow.

about 180 Vipers hiding in the states... possibly 10-15 VX's built so far, but I do not know...

Both great boats, pick your "Venom".. ;)

#5 Tejano

Tejano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, sailing, more sailing.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Great rides. Buy one. Plenty for sale at http://www.viper640.org

#6 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

In theory / propaganda the VX is a 2 person boat, but from the pics I have seen, in 18+ both crew need will need to be "Star" size.. I think you need at least 500lbs to drive the boat uphill in a blow.

The propaganda says "2 or 3", and 500 lbs is a bit too heavy for the boat in my experience. I'm not sure what qualifies as "Star size", but my 2-up sailing has been at less than 400 lbs and we did fine even in 15-20 breeze.

#7 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

The propaganda says "2 or 3", and 500 lbs is a bit too heavy for the boat in my experience. I'm not sure what qualifies as "Star size", but my 2-up sailing has been at less than 400 lbs and we did fine even in 15-20 breeze.

I'm just going by the initials on VX results sheet. Are you boat number 104?
Care to define "fine" ? http://sarasotasaili...2/03/VXONE.html ;)

I would be interested in pinning down this sailing weight of the VX down. Getting different answers to this question. The propaganda did start out describing this as a 2 person boat but the crew weight was spec'd at 445lbs (which seemed a bit heavy to me). The boat weight came out higher than spec and the crews seem to be heavy. Even at 450lbs, that seems to be leaning towards 2 Star boyz to me.

400 lbs would be more reassuring. Or if its a 3 person boat then 500+.

#8 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:35 AM

Where are you mojo? You're going to love the boat...

#9 hotair

hotair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

We had the Viper out several times last fall, two up at about 430 lbs.

We cranked in a lot of rig tension to keep the main flat so we could depower upwind.

Downwind that light, it was an absolute blast. The boat would lift up as if on hydrofoils.

At those speeds it doesn't even surf, it just cuts through one swell, then on to the next.

The general rule seems to be, being heavy helps upwind, being light helps downwind, so there is no optimum crew weight.

#10 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

Where are you mojo? You're going to love the boat...

Grapevine. Sailing with Rod.

I had the Rocket 22 that was there.

We had the Viper out several times last fall, two up at about 430 lbs.

We cranked in a lot of rig tension to keep the main flat so we could depower upwind.

Downwind that light, it was an absolute blast. The boat would lift up as if on hydrofoils.

At those speeds it doesn't even surf, it just cuts through one swell, then on to the next.

The general rule seems to be, being heavy helps upwind, being light helps downwind, so there is no optimum crew weight.

That's how the Rocket was.

#11 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Note that the VX sail numbers cleverly (but not very honestly) started at 100.

Yawn.

#12 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

@ Timbo - the VX likes a little angle but even at that it's quite easy to sail flat upwind. The checks keep the forestay from sagging when you ease the main so instead of having to keep a bunch of mainsheet tension on you can ease and foot. The boat launches. That's in contrast to the viper where you have to keep mainsheet on and pinch your way upwind, which blows in chop. Also note that the VX is an expandable platform, so at some point down the road i expect to see some high level events sailed in SS configuration (traps, CB, MH kite) - zoom zoom.

@ Mojo - i forgot about that event, wish i could make it up. Rod's a great guy, Brian picked a good'en to help launch and give local support to the VX down here (something builders often overlook). I remember the rocket, nice boat. If memory serves, life got in the way of your sailing - you'll like the VX in that respect. No slip, and a great boat if you have kids that want to pull strings and go fast.

As to weight - we sail the viper with almost 600 lbs, sometimes a little more. She likes the weight. The VX seems to really like something in the low 400 range but i wouldnt hesitate to race her under 400. Again, southern did a fantastic job with the rig and it's quite easy to depower. We sailed MGRW at about 470. There were two teams sailing under 400 (one won the regatta), the other was equally wicked fast.

#13 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

@ Mojo - i forgot about that event, wish i could make it up. Rod's a great guy, Brian picked a good'en to help launch and give local support to the VX down here (something builders often overlook). I remember the rocket, nice boat. If memory serves, life got in the way of your sailing - you'll like the VX in that respect. No slip, and a great boat if you have kids that want to pull strings and go fast.

After several years with the Rocket, life progressed. The kids interest in sailing/racing waned as they got into other things although they love getting out on the water. My wife started yearning for a boat with a/c for those hot summer days at the docks, a real toilet, and a refrigerator, among other things. My daughter is playing high school and club volleyball which consumes a lot of weekends, and my son's sports interests also consumed weekends. It got to the point where we just weren't using the Rocket much. We ended up buying a larger boat that we can use on a more casual basis, entertain friends on, and so forth. I channeled my need for speed into a faster car.

#14 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Nice

After several years with the Rocket, life progressed. The kids interest in sailing/racing waned as they got into other things although they love getting out on the water. My wife started yearning for a boat with a/c for those hot summer days at the docks, a real toilet, and a refrigerator, among other things. My daughter is playing high school and club volleyball which consumes a lot of weekends, and my son's sports interests also consumed weekends. It got to the point where we just weren't using the Rocket much. We ended up buying a larger boat that we can use on a more casual basis, entertain friends on, and so forth. I channeled my need for speed into a faster car.

#15 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'm just going by the initials on VX results sheet. Are you boat number 104?
Care to define "fine" ? http://sarasotasaili...2/03/VXONE.html ;)

I would be interested in pinning down this sailing weight of the VX down. Getting different answers to this question. The propaganda did start out describing this as a 2 person boat but the crew weight was spec'd at 445lbs (which seemed a bit heavy to me). The boat weight came out higher than spec and the crews seem to be heavy. Even at 450lbs, that seems to be leaning towards 2 Star boyz to me.

400 lbs would be more reassuring. Or if its a 3 person boat then 500+.

Yep, easy. At Sarasota we were sailing with three adults at 500 lbs - see now why I think 500 might be too heavy? We were okay upwind, but slow downwind when things went light. We were first to the weather mark our share of times, but could only barely stay in touch with the fleet downwind. And jeez, just look at who we were sailing against too...

We sailed at 360 lbs in Pensacola in February and won several races there. As for "pinning down" an ideal weight it's still early days, but I have to agree with ultra - it's starting to feel like 400 lbs is a good number. In my family 400 is me, my wife and one kid - that's three. When we put both kids on board, we're pushing the upper end on weight again. But honestly in that mode we're just out playing anyway.

#16 AliciaBurney

AliciaBurney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

Posted ImageWhat's the basic difference between the VX and a Viper?

#17 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

Posted ImageWhat's the basic difference between the VX and a Viper?

Basically, the VX will fit in a 20 foot container, and the Viper won't. And they take different crew weights, and are sold by different companies. After that, it's all details. Both are tons of fun.

#18 hotair

hotair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

JH brings up a question I have had for a while.

Will the average VX, or Viper, owner ever ship his boat across the pond for, let's say, a one week regatta.
Even at 8 boats in a container, the cost would be substantial and it would tie the boat up for 3-4 weeks, perhaps more.
Of course, if you have a brace of them, no problem.
Let's see, that would be 60k less a volume discount if you purchase both at the same time.

The guys that can do this will probably ship their Melges 32s instead.

With some creative positioning Rondar does ship 4 Vipers with trailers in a 40 foot container.
Now that they're being built in Peabody Mass it ins't even an issue.

Brian Bennett (VX) is counting on export sales, so the easy container fit is important to him.
More important for the average owner, the VX will fit through an 8 foot garage door, the Viper won't.
If you have a double door and 24 ft depth your Viper can stay clean, warm and dry all year long.

The Viper can sail with 2 to 4 and usually races with 3.

The VX can also fit 4 but it races with 2.

The Viper costs 5K more but there are 180+ boats in various hot spots around the USA.

Early results have the Viper a bit faster on the water but the VX is not far behind.

Some Viper owners, mostly in Texas, can't make up the minds so they have both.

Either one will be more fun than you have ever had on the water.

I only wrote all of this because I'm seeing too much ASBA and GP26 and not enough Viper / VX action here.

What say you Ultra ?

#19 boneboy

boneboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

What is wrong with you people? Are you just bored? The endless pot shots at the VX from the Viper muckitymucks and vice versa are getting old.

Yes, they are similar boats, and yes they will compete, at least at some level, for the same market, but it is what it is...........Both boats ae here, and are apparently we will have to live with that. The VX is new and has attracted some of the Viper crowd to look, and partake. However, looking like a jealous school girl at the prom makes one look plain sad. I am a Viper owner. I love the boat and plan to race and continue to have fun and hopefully grow the class. I also like the VX. I think the continued venom (pun intended) spewed simply makes the Viper class look silly and trivial. Live and let live

As far as the continued B.S. about how many it takes to sail the boat...., who cares? The Viper can be sailed two up, three up or with four. So what

http://www.youtube.c...=3&feature=plcp

The VX can be sailed with the same (though four might be a little tight)

http://www.youtube.c...=1&feature=plcp

I've done both. Had fun. Promoted sailing. Get over it people. Live and let live

#20 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

This doesn't look like a trash talk thread to me.

Count me as a Viper owner who would love to have a VX too.

Cheers,

jason

#21 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hear, hear... +1 :D

This doesn't look like a trash talk thread to me.

Count me as a Viper owner who would love to have a VX too.

Cheers,

jason

#22 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

First, +1 Jason...

JH brings up a question I have had for a while.

Will the average VX, or Viper, owner ever ship his boat across the pond for, let's say, a one week regatta.

Brian Bennett (VX) is counting on export sales, so the easy container fit is important to him.

As an owner, I have no doubt that I will NOT be shipping my boat overseas for a regatta and I think my position is fairly common for US owners. However, the container thing is still important to me, because it helps the builder stay in business and helps grow the class internationally, both of which add significant value. Then there is also the garage-size thing, and the slightly smaller size is slightly easier to tow.

The point is, when asked what is the "basic difference" between the two boats, it's very hard to answer because the differences are really pretty much at the margins. Some of those marginal differences are very important to some buyers, but specifically which ones varies a lot from one person to the next. For me it's about crew weights and local fleets. YMMV.

#23 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

If we all look around it appears that the reason why a boat is successful or not, is mostly unrelated to how fun the boat is (or even price). Worldwide is all about how big the class is and how serious is the organization behind it. The Viper is similar to many sport boats (speed and fun factor) the main difference is: 42 boats in Charleston, Bacardi Cup in Miami, Mardi Gras Regatta in New Orleans, San Diego Midwinters....all one design, competitive regattas. Bottom line is not to much about selling boats but building and sustaining a class. From the Opti, to Lasers, to J-24, J-80, Melges 24's, Tartan Ten and J105. As long as their is a class buyers will come.

Brian has been successful designing two great boats that are been sold close in price, sailed with almost the same number of people on board, capable to sail at almost the same speed. Currently I am a Viper owner that wishes the VX and J70 will bring more people back into sailing so we all can attend bigger regattas with larger,competitive one design fleets.

#24 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,188 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

that will prove to be true only in light weather areas, i don't believe it any more than the similar K6 urban myth ( which sails with 3 where they have any proper breeze)

#25 J24_guy

J24_guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

that will prove to be true only in light weather areas, i don't believe it any more than the similar K6 urban myth ( which sails with 3 where they have any proper breeze)

Yeah isn't the sailplan similar to a Viper's? Why would it be sailed with so much less weight? My understanding is that a Viper with too little crew weight will have a really hard time upwind.

#26 hotair

hotair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

VX=Two guys, 225+225=450, that should do it.
Of course, if your 160 soaking wet then you need 3.

Viper= VX crew + one teenager= 550, good to go.

On the other hand, if your sailing in Fremantle, use a cut down set of sails.
Problem solved.

#27 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

VX=Two guys, 225+225=450, that should do it.
Of course, if your 160 soaking wet then you need 3.

Viper= VX crew + one teenager= 550, good to go.

On the other hand, if your sailing in Fremantle, use a cut down set of sails.
Problem solved.

Whoa . . . two 225 lbs guys for the VX. Someone mentioned that the VX would be good for Star sailors. Interesting market niche if you need two guys weighing 225.

(I do not own a Viper or a VX. The 225 lb crew weights for the VX would work for me - just need to find the right crew.)

#28 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Brian and I both go around 235, and in 10 knots we were already doing a lot of depowering upwind. Just another data point ;)

#29 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Great... can't wait to come back to my old stomping grounds and raid the frig on Mojo's house boat!! :)

#30 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

I think we will be at about 150 + 180 + 150 = 480 with winds in the mid to upper teens. Let you know how it goes on Monday.

#31 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Great... can't wait to come back to my old stomping grounds and raid the frig on Mojo's house boat!! :)

Tomorrow is restocking day.

Anytime, my friend.

#32 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

Weta's will ensue Rush Creek in a few weeks for Dinghy Fest. I hope to be there but Grapevine is a long way from Hubbard. Actually, Rush Creek is a long way from anywhere around DFW.

#33 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Weta's will ensue Rush Creek in a few weeks for Dinghy Fest. I hope to be there but Grapevine is a long way from Hubbard. Actually, Rush Creek is a long way from anywhere around DFW.

Yeah, Grapevine to Rush Creek is probably close to an hour drive. Hard to "pop over" for a quick beer.

Let me know if you find yourself heading that way or toward Fort Worth though.

#34 hotair

hotair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Quote - Brian and I both go around 235, and in 10 knots we were already doing a lot of depowering upwind. Just another data point ;)

Depowering in 10 knots with beef at 470 doesn't sound right.

This implies that 125 lbs of lead (VX) is a little light.

Time to hook up the traps.

#35 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

Traps will really kick up speed upwind even without removing the bulb. We'll see.

Going back to the original topic, we will have fresh breeze, so hopefully some good rides. Get ride for comfortable hiking, keep her flat upwind and don't be afraid of dumping the main with some GNAV on. On the gusts, a bit of jib driven mode, and enjoy. At 480 lbs, we should be right on the money for Saturday.

#36 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,188 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

Depowering in 10 knots with beef at 470 doesn't sound right.

This implies that 125 lbs of lead (VX) is a little light.

yeah, nah , not really

you'd have to put so much more on, even 50% more would make little difference except slowing it up x%

Not yacht-like enough ( not enough heel for bulb to be overly effective) , will be body swung

speed upwind in any pressure will correlate to the # live ballast

as with any skiff you'll be depowered, & threading the needle between sailing 'on the bubble' and keeping the boat moving fast.

thats how what the skinny end of all skiff (like) fleets do, and lightly ballasted SBs

#37 tamaozy

tamaozy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Brian and I both go around 235, and in 10 knots we were already doing a lot of depowering upwind. Just another data point ;)

Im just glad someone put some sense into the weight issue. A 200lb man is not that big OR unusual. Ive been +200 since I left high school and at 6'1" active lifestyle / job I am not carrying extra poundage around. It is about time we got a boat that didnt require some prepubesant skinny thing to sail. 400-450 sounds just about perfect to me, 2 x real sized guys throwing it around and having a blast.

I have always worked on sporties being dinghy sailing for real people. The last time I raced a dinghy (49er) I was mistaken for a Star crew!!!!! Knew it was time to give the little boats away!!!!

#38 hotair

hotair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

In triathlon we're (200 lbs +) called the Orca group.

#39 vxone-d

vxone-d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

If we all look around it appears that the reason why a boat is successful or not, is mostly unrelated to how fun the boat is (or even price). Worldwide is all about how big the class is and how serious is the organization behind it. The Viper is similar to many sport boats (speed and fun factor) the main difference is: 42 boats in Charleston, Bacardi Cup in Miami, Mardi Gras Regatta in New Orleans, San Diego Midwinters....all one design, competitive regattas. Bottom line is not to much about selling boats but building and sustaining a class. From the Opti, to Lasers, to J-24, J-80, Melges 24's, Tartan Ten and J105. As long as their is a class buyers will come.

Brian has been successful designing two great boats that are been sold close in price, sailed with almost the same number of people on board, capable to sail at almost the same speed. Currently I am a Viper owner that wishes the VX and J70 will bring more people back into sailing so we all can attend bigger regattas with larger,competitive one design fleets.

#40 vxone-d

vxone-d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the compliment Juan. You are right on. Compared to many sports, sailing is not on a growth curve the way it could be. Those of us in the industry have a job to do, if we are serious about growing the sport to provide sensible, practical, and affordable equipment that will be durable, and provide real excitement. Look around the world of sports, and see the amazing intelligence put behind so many draws for our spare time. I marvel at the cycling industry, and the works of carbon art created for what comes across as fantastic value for money. Performance sailing will grow if we focus on making great equipment available that can be obtained easily, where sailors are assured of being on an equal footing (if you are serious about One Design).

What is great, is that sailors now have real choices for all taste and styles. We could not say that 15 years ago.

#41 vxone-d

vxone-d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

The VX and Viper are designed with quite different philosophies, and are some 14 years apart. Anyone really interested in knowing what make the VX different is welcome to drop me a line at bennettyachting@gmail.com Brian

#42 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Four races on Saturday, winds in the 16 - 20 range with puffs to mid 20s. Fairly flat water. About 470 pounds on board. It was my first time on the boat, but I did own a Rocket 22 for several years.

The boat just flies, no other way to put it. It gets on a plane very quickly, and accelerates like a demon. We were routinely in the teens downwind and the fastest I saw on the clock was 17.3, but my eyes were on the chute since I was trimming. Put someone on the spin sheets who really knows what they are doing, and I'm sure it would pop up faster and maybe go faster. All in all, an awesome boat that leaves one with a Joker face afterwards.

The only down side is that we were sailing short legs, and it would have been more fun with longer runs. That, and we had some unpredictable traffic from other fleets that we had to avoid.

The f'ups on the course were mostly mine, which probably impacted our finish in a race or two. In fact, when I started hearing people say, "There goes Shrimp." I came to realize they were actually talking about me.

A big thanks goes out to Rod Favela and Vela Sailing for sponsoring our little regatta and donating some nice swag for the raffle!

#43 Willsail4food

Willsail4food

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Splashed VX hull #30(yes sail #130) on Saturday. It was blowing 15-20-ish, I forgot to look at the numbers right before we went out. The boat is an absolute blast to sail. We didn't have the rig tuned for anything other than "don't fall down" so we were a little overpowered on the upwind portion of our trip. Going downwind had me smiling like a 16yr old who just lost his virginity. We saw 15+ a few times. It's interesting to listen to the boat hum when you get it up on a plane. I think we had somewhere around 480lbs on the boat, but I could be completely wrong.

I will say this: once you sail this boat you'll want one.

#44 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Four races on Saturday, winds in the 16 - 20 range with puffs to mid 20s. Fairly flat water. About 470 pounds on board. It was my first time on the boat, but I did own a Rocket 22 for several years.

The boat just flies, no other way to put it. It gets on a plane very quickly, and accelerates like a demon. We were routinely in the teens downwind and the fastest I saw on the clock was 17.3, but my eyes were on the chute since I was trimming. Put someone on the spin sheets who really knows what they are doing, and I'm sure it would pop up faster and maybe go faster. All in all, an awesome boat that leaves one with a Joker face afterwards.

The only down side is that we were sailing short legs, and it would have been more fun with longer runs. That, and we had some unpredictable traffic from other fleets that we had to avoid.

The f'ups on the course were mostly mine, which probably impacted our finish in a race or two. In fact, when I started hearing people say, "There goes Shrimp." I came to realize they were actually talking about me.

A big thanks goes out to Rod Favela and Vela Sailing for sponsoring our little regatta and donating some nice swag for the raffle!

More than happy to sail with you Mojo, you know how we roll. The few screw ups were of all as a team...don't forget our broach rounding of the "poisoned line" that masterpiece was all on me!! I am with you on the traffic, way too many close calls jeopardizing the boat integrity when approaching at 16 knots towards some heavier displacement boats that were fighting their own battles. Regardless, we had great rides, great fun and tons of laugh. Can't wait for Leukemia Cup in 5 days.

Thanks for hanging on with me on the hiking strap. Always a pleasure to sail with you same as Dana.

#45 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

More than happy to sail with you Mojo, you know how we roll. The few screw ups were of all as a team...don't forget our broach rounding of the "poisoned line" that masterpiece was all on me!! I am with you on the traffic, way too many close calls jeopardizing the boat integrity when approaching at 16 knots towards some heavier displacement boats that were fighting their own battles. Regardless, we had great rides, great fun and tons of laugh. Can't wait for Leukemia Cup in 5 days.

Thanks for hanging on with me on the hiking strap. Always a pleasure to sail with you same as Dana.

I thought you were demonstrating the versatility of the boat and its ability to sail on a beam reach with the keel out of the water when needed. B)

#46 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

I thought you were demonstrating the versatility of the boat and its ability to sail on a beam reach with the keel out of the water when needed. B)

"

Right on. It did work, eh? I think those hard chines help more than what we we all expected.

#47 Knotcho

Knotcho

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Poker, Music

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Couldn't tell you anything that's not already been written. I've never even seen the boat.

lighter and not as long. with more sail area. carbon rig. and not sure if this is the same on a viper but everything (blocks and such) for the one design racing.

#48 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing, motorcycle road racing.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Oh that's what The Rod calls it when the big orange thing comes out of the water! "Come on guys, I need you to hike!" Know you had fun as we did last time, a great boat, idnt.

#49 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Oh that's what The Rod calls it when the big orange thing comes out of the water! "Come on guys, I need you to hike!" Know you had fun as we did last time, a great boat, idnt.

Worked pretty well. We were headed toward a restricted line, and when we realized it all we could do was head up pretty hard. Needless to say, the boat went over with the bulb at or above the surface and the spinny in the water. We were on the side for about ten boat lengths moving to the right until we passed the pin. Then the boat magically popped up, we took off again, and gybed to the mark. Worked pretty well, although I've never seen that tactic used before.

In other news, "Come on guys . . ." was uttered a few times. Along with mutterances that sounded somewhat like this - "Lo que en el mundo son estas haciendo?"

I've sailed with Rod a number of times over the years. It's always fun.

#50 AnonOTroll

AnonOTroll

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

Did a demo sail after the racing on Saturday. Great boat! We got over 16 several times in 16 kt puffs (guessing wind speed.) Very controllable boat in puffs and my wife trimmed the kite no problem. Very cool and yes, once you sail one, you'll want one. It was more like a catamaran in terms of the sensation of speed and acceleration than any monohull I've sailed.

#51 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Did a demo sail after the racing on Saturday. Great boat! We got over 16 several times in 16 kt puffs (guessing wind speed.) Very controllable boat in puffs and my wife trimmed the kite no problem. Very cool and yes, once you sail one, you'll want one. It was more like a catamaran in terms of the sensation of speed and acceleration than any monohull I've sailed.

It was fun to sail with you guys.

We had a couple more rides after you left, lots of fun and good comments about the boat. The wind started fading so we did not see anything beyond 14 knots. Not bad either, but a big difference on the feeling from 14 to 16.

The next day, the last two races were in very light air. Still fun to sail around the big boys on the light stuff, but not enough to jump on a plane.

#52 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

CONSIDE THE I550
BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK YOU CAN GET.

Attached File  i550 Logo.jpg   356.49K   6 downloadsThe i550 hulls are so easily built to plan specs that the hulls are nearly identical. 6 mm marine ply is used for everything. doubled up in some places to be tough and take loads.
The CHINE is back in style. It has always been fast. Now all the plastico boats are getting them.
WOODIE DESIGNS -----STAR LIGHTNING SNIPE I550
We think the i550 might be able to establish itself in the ranks of these great boats.
Fun fast boats.
A DIY i550 is the cheapest new boat you can have.
A Watershed kit is cheap right now.
A watershed built i550 is in the low twenties.

We are encouraging community sailing programs to consider the i550.
High Schools and Colleges need this sort of boat to get out of the slow lane and actually teach some practical skills.
A group of Sea Scouts is building an i550 in Florida. Probly gonna kick the yacht club's ass, again. They are just across the bay but a world away.

I am going to adopt the very successful Viper.org tactic and become annoyingly persistent all over the place.
Apologies to Scot T (but I think he might be quietly entertained by the brash new marketing strategy).

#53 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

I am going to adopt the very successful Viper.org tactic and become annoyingly persistent all over the place.
Apologies to Scot T (but I think he might be quietly entertained by the brash new marketing strategy).

Get your own thread asshole.

Who wants to build their own boat anyway. More fun sailing than huffin epoxy and paint.

#54 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Who wants to build their own boat anyway. More fun sailing than huffin epoxy and paint.

At least 100 i550's are in serious stages of build. Plans sent to 45 countries. 460 + plan sets sold.

#55 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

At least 100 i550's are in serious stages of build. Plans sent to 45 countries. 460 + plan sets sold.

Who cares?

#56 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Who cares?

At least 100 builders worldwide.

#57 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

Who cares?

At least 100 builders worldwide.

Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the one you built.

#58 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

So would I. Bought the design, lofted it, made full size patterns. No boat yet.
Always have been supporting the builders and getting them accurate information. When I don't know I say so. Fortunately there are many guys in the group who know more about (some) things than I do. I defer to them as they have built their i550's.
My town is 57 miles from the nearest Walmart. As a house builder I have been greatly affected since 2008 by the recession in this second house resort (?) community in a county with 10,000 people in the third poorest county in Colorado.
No complaints though, just frustrated that I have not got one going or done. YET.
That's the truth.
and thanks for calling me an asshole . . . it has been awhile since the last time.
Timber

#59 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

While wooden boat building is a fine hobby and I'm jealous of the people who have the time for it, here's what the VX is all about...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 hotair

hotair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Let me get this straight -
He sells the plans but has never actually built an example.
Lives in Colorado where there is lots of water to do testing and gain experience, as opposed to some one who lives in, oh let's say... Zenda Minnesota.
There are, how many different variations of how the boat can be built and equipped, mast, cockpit, deck house, keel, rudder, carbon, lead....?
This is somehow a one design boat?
Are there any two that are alike?
Could I build a streched model, 23 feet. Would it still be an i550 ?
Am I missing something here ?

Sport boat anarchy was gettting a bit dull lately.
Thanks for the entertainment.

#61 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

So would I. Bought the design, lofted it, made full size patterns. No boat yet.
Always have been supporting the builders and getting them accurate information. When I don't know I say so. Fortunately there are many guys in the group who know more about (some) things than I do. I defer to them as they have built their i550's.
My town is 57 miles from the nearest Walmart. As a house builder I have been greatly affected since 2008 by the recession in this second house resort (?) community in a county with 10,000 people in the third poorest county in Colorado.
No complaints though, just frustrated that I have not got one going or done. YET.
That's the truth.
and thanks for calling me an asshole . . . it has been awhile since the last time.
Timber

If you spent half as much time in your shop WORKING as you do sitting ON YOUR ASS in front of the computer posting spam and babble or gabbing on the phone you could have at least finished a boat by now.

Quit the poor me bullshit and build the boat you are trying to sell or go the fuck away! Nobody cares about how the recession has affected you or that you live in the 3rd poorest county in Colorado.

#62 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Let me get this straight -
He sells the plans but has never actually built an example.
Lives in Colorado where there is lots of water to do testing and gain experience, as opposed to some one who lives in, oh let's say... Zenda Minnesota.
There are, how many different variations of how the boat can be built and equipped, mast, cockpit, deck house, keel, rudder, carbon, lead....?
This is somehow a one design boat?
Are there any two that are alike?
Could I build a streched model, 23 feet. Would it still be an i550 ?
Am I missing something here ?

Sport boat anarchy was gettting a bit dull lately.
Thanks for the entertainment.

Yes... he "owns" the company and rights to the design and sells "plans" for others to build the boat, but you are correct, he hasn't actually built a boat, hasn't sailed the boat, hasn't even seen a finished boat built by someone else. I seriously doubt he has actually ever sailed a sportboat before.
It is definitely a development class boat (think I-14)
Is an I-14 OD?
Yes, there are two that are alike. In fact there are 5 that are all but identical. Take a look at www.i550na.org
No, you couldn't stretch it to 23 feet and call it an i550; the North American Class Association has rules; stay in the box, innovate, have fun
Maybe you are missing something. We have a successful OD fleet here in Portland and the NW has boats being built. We are sailing a prototype and having a blast.
Yes, it was getting dull lately without any shit fights.
Tim is always entertaining with his crack fueled rants and rambles.

Sorry to hijack your thread. Love the VX OD and just wish that the boat was there 2 years ago. There would be a fleet in Portland right now had that been the case. We looked for an "off the shelf" option, but nothing satisfied the group that came together to build our own fleet of i550s; times change and so do the offerings. The VX looks great.

Here are 2 boats fresh out of the shop...
Attached File  IMG_0574.jpg   998.43K   59 downloads

#63 hotair

hotair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Cute dog and two nice boats.
I'm sure they are lots of fun.
So a box rule is sort of a stretchy OD rule... I get it !!

Twenty years ago I could have tackled such a project.
After 3 years of searching, I chose a Viper and am quite happy.
It goes as fast as I care to go and is just large enough for big water, yet small enough to keep at home in the garage.

But it's hard to imagine Timer hasn't built one himself.
Thus his opinions are all second hand ?
Come on guy, set a good example, the longest journey begins with the first step.

Chinese preverb:
"When you gather all your recoures together, goals are accomplished.

#64 thetominator

thetominator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, cycling

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

all the kit boat talk aside, word on the street is that the VX hit 23 knots down under.

#65 angles

angles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

all the kit boat talk aside, word on the street is that the VX hit 23 knots down under.

It sure did. Check out the videos.

#66 Muppethead

Muppethead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Rum, Women and Going Fast

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

It sure did. Check out the videos.

http://youtu.be/T2jCPa4BLnk
http://youtu.be/bXIAecC1cXk

I reckon it had another 2 knts to go - but considering it was a borrowed boat which the owner was pretty well yet to sail it wasn't pushed too hard.

I'm sure the owner was probably in the chase boat screaming 'don't break my boat' - Freddy - what a legend!

#67 angles

angles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

Check out the grin on the guy in the first video - are we having fun yet?!

#68 angles

angles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

A bit of Fish cam action happening on the VX One...

#69 Muppethead

Muppethead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Rum, Women and Going Fast

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Honestly we were very relaxed about righting it (mostly because we were laughing so hard). I doubt it would have gone over fully if we had let go during the capsize but In the interests of not falling through the main accidentally etc as we were using a borrowed boat that was brand new we stayed hanging on.
1st time over was turtled. Two on the keel took 30 - 45 ish seconds to get it back over once we were on the keel.
2nd time it was on its side. One on the keel whilst the other was retrieving the kite and stayed in the boat as it came up. About 30 secs also.
Re cold water etc - it is very muchnlike a dinghy however my thoughts after day one was how dry it was (gusting 8-15 knts). Realistically shouldn't take more than 30odd secs to get back up. Furling headsail and retriever for Shute obviously helps if you're underweight and as soon as you get the keel working for you it pops straight over.
The keel defidently helps stop capsizing (insert stupid comment here) remember in the video it was 20/25 gusting 30..... So yeah cold water (wear appropriate gear) shouldn't be an issue and gusty - define gusty.

#70 angles

angles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

You can see the VX One at Sanctuary Cove Boat Show next week and then a sail day at RQYS June 2-3.vxoneaustralia.com

#71 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:56 AM

When is your roadshow coming to the pnw, usa?

#72 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

Looks like all the promoting is going well in both countries.

Looks like the fleet in the US is growing quite well, will be continuing to follow the progression. Any word on whether Quantum or Evolution will start making sails for the VX?

#73 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Is Skip D with Evolution? If so, he's not only cutting sails but a full-on dealer. I've heard rumors that the GC Quantum guys are looking at the project but who knows.

Did i hear you were down in Texas?

Looks like the fleet in the US is growing quite well, will be continuing to follow the progression. Any word on whether Quantum or Evolution will start making sails for the VX?

#74 port tack

port tack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

I know Ullman is building them.

#75 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

I know Ullman is building them.

That's correct. Full production. Working on the tuning guide.

#76 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Is Skip D with Evolution? If so, he's not only cutting sails but a full-on dealer. I've heard rumors that the GC Quantum guys are looking at the project but who knows.

Did i hear you were down in Texas?

Not anymore. Live in Florida now......it's a long story but life has finally calmed down a bit for me. I did live in Houston area for a little bit.

#77 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Any word on whether Quantum or Evolution will start making sails for the VX?

Ouch! Skip might resemble that remark. After many years of working for other people (North and Quantum) Skip left Quantum in order to open his own shop in 2009 or thereabouts. Dieball Sailing. I was one of his first customers ordering a chute for my Viper just after he opened the doors. That sail won us the HPDO straight out of the bag . It is still a wicked fast sail 3 years later. There is still something to be said for a sail maker who has the confidence to put his own name on the label !

Great guy + Fast sails.

(Same applies to Brad, coincidence or something about pride in the product when it has your name on it?).

#78 nutz

nutz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Had a demo of the vx in brisbane today. Light drizzly 5 knot westerly gave little indication of what it could do but it was a nice pleasant boat.

It'd be nice to sail in 15-20, small and light enough to throw around.

Easy enough for my 4 yr old too.

#79 jfunk

jfunk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

Sailed one the other day and I do want one now!

#80 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

8 VX Ones raced at Lake Lanier's Reggae Regatta this past weekend - here's six at the dock at the end of the day...
Attached File  photo.JPG   319.21K   148 downloads

#81 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

8 VX Ones raced at Lake Lanier's Reggae Regatta this past weekend - here's six at the dock at the end of the day...

Results, Stories, Lies etc ??????????????

#82 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

Results, Stories, Lies etc ??????????????

We sailed 8 races in surprisingly good conditions for a southern inland lake in June. Wind stayed up all weekend - "up" being around 8-10. The VX handled the light air and motorboat chop nicely so that we always had plenty of power for close tactical racing. Saturday was warm and sunny and Sunday was cold and raining while we were out sailing, but it stopped while we put the boats away which was a nice touch. We were on a mixed fleet course and the RC did a fantastic job of keeping us moving - the races were an average of 45 minutes long and we still managed to get in 5 races between 11 and 4 on Saturday for example.

Results are posted at llsc.com, but for some reason only show 7 races. No matter. Brian sailed with new owner David Oliver and they took first. Donnie Brennan sailed with new owner Chris McGraw and they took second. Both of these guys took delivery of their new boats at the regatta and neither boat had seen water before Saturday. Despite the appearance of uniformity in the results, the fleet was very tight on the course with plenty of lead changes and no room for errors. I think every boat rounded at least a few marks in first place.

Since everyone associated with the VX fleet was out on a boat, we didn't have a photo boat on the course. Would have been nice, but we'd rather go sailing...

#83 va bene

va bene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

How come that the size of the chute has shrunk from initially announced 36 sqm (I believe I read that on early datasheets) to now 26 sqm on current datasheets? Was 36 sqm too much to handle?

#84 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

How come that the size of the chute has shrunk from initially announced 36 sqm (I believe I read that on early datasheets) to now 26 sqm on current datasheets? Was 36 sqm too much to handle?

The chute has stayed the same - the early datasheet had a typo that had to be fixed. In fact, Brian is still racing hull #1 with the very first chute ever delivered.

#85 OKMLSAIL

OKMLSAIL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Go fast

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

This is what I'm afraid of. Had the first one delivered to our club last week. I'll be trying to delay going for a ride on it for awhile.

We'll see how that actually works out...

#86 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

This was last night at Rush Creek Yacht Club:

VX One - Wednesday Night

#87 va bene

va bene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

The chute has stayed the same - the early datasheet had a typo that had to be fixed. In fact, Brian is still racing hull #1 with the very first chute ever delivered.

I guess it is time to get the nunbers straight then - I believe the actual boat weight is also significantly higher than the one mentioned on the vx-one web site

#88 Wavedancer II

Wavedancer II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

VX One - Wednesday Night

You hiked hard but upwind you were seriously overpowered. Did you do 'everything' to depower?

#89 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

VX One - Wednesday Night

You hiked hard but upwind you were seriously overpowered. Did you do 'everything' to depower?

It was blowing really hard and we had a combined crew of 335 lbs.(light side of the range) We started dumping the main and vang sheeting, same as the other boats on that race. The good thing is that the boats keeps very well under control, jib driven we where able to hold a bigger keelboat. I like to sail the boat light now, the reward downwind are well worthy the extra hike upwind. Need to play the mainsheet I am expecting to have some of that. We rounded late, so as we went upwind, we cranked the GNAV hard outhaul and serious Cunningham to open the top. The jib was on the "round foot" shape and it should have been on the flat bottom open top You can see towards the end of the video.

#90 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

How many VX Ones have been sold or ordered so far this year? Is there a map of owners yet? Has anyone in the northeast bought one?

Cheers,

jason

#91 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:34 AM

Yes, I am bumping this thread.

#92 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Brian's banner on the front page says 30 boats delivered in the first six months. And yes, I know there are VX in Newport. Not sure about other NE locations. No map yet.

#93 OKMLSAIL

OKMLSAIL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Go fast

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

Brian's banner on the front page says 30 boats delivered in the first six months. And yes, I know there are VX in Newport. Not sure about other NE locations. No map yet.

Sounds like it's off to a good start.

#94 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

We'll be racing in two weeks at Grapevine's Sailing Club "Gold Rush Regatta". 3 VX's racing. Will be fun. The Oklahoma boys are coming down for some fun and good racing.

#95 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

FYI. The official Class Rules have been posted on the Class Web site at http://vxone.org/na/organization-docs/

#96 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

Nice job on this guys (and gals). Just browsed the document, looks fantastic.

#97 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:12 AM

VX Demo day in Grapevine on September 8th after finishing racing Gold Rush Regatta:

Posted Image

#98 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

See you in less than two weeks!

Posted Image

#99 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

So, other than hike, what does the third person do on the VX, or the Viper for that matter?

#100 wpbeardsley

wpbeardsley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

So, other than hike, what does the third person do on the VX, or the Viper for that matter?

Haven't sailed the VX, but on the Viper, the roles are frequently divided up something as follows:
Helm: drives and trims main (except maybe in huge breeze depending on crew preference)
Middle: (upwind), hikes, tactician, trims main in big breeze (depending on crew preference), downwind trims kite, retrieves kite on douse
Forward: (upwind) trims jib. (downwind) hoists kite, downwind tactician (arguably most important role on boat), douses halyard and sprit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users