#202 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

One is entering this week. We will be their media partner. Print it!

#203 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

Well thanks to the efforts of Ian Neely and Jez Fanstone pretty fucking well. You of course would not follow Olympic and youth sailing. There has been an offer of a team and payment to ETNZ already from a 19-23 year old team. But you would already know that

How's youth sailing in NZ shaping up ?

Yes and a Brit too

#204 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

sorry tt, don't know what you mean. pls elucidate

#205 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

^ BA is apparently pulling a Brit team together but has competition for the slot, by one report I saw. May have been Stuart A in the Independent.

#206 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

^ BA is apparently pulling a Brit team together but has competition for the slot, by one report I saw. May have been Stuart A in the Independent.

Ainslie will not have any competition for the youth team slot. Anyone who thinks anyone but him will get it from the UK is not facing reality.

#207 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

BA is unproven in catamarans. Remember all the hype about GCs all Finn crew?

#208 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:26 AM

The Red Bull Youth America's Cup is open to up to 10 national teams of six sailors, aged 19 to 23 in 2013 (full requirements are detailed in the Notice of Race).

Has anyone seen that NoR? I'm wondering what the entry fee if any would be.

Just what the America's Cup needs.

More bull!

#209 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

Lets start a rumour: Larry is buying a fleet of winged SL33s for the Junior ACWSL33 in 2013

With those pretty litle winglets on rudders and boards, they might be just the ticket.

#210 powdermonkey

powdermonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:SAILING
    SEX
    BOOZE

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

who will be in the NZ team?

#211 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

whoever grant wants. won't be anyone from the dickson or coutts family.

#212 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

whoever grant wants. won't be anyone from the dickson or coutts family.

Rules state that existing ACWS teams have first right to enter a team. With Volvo Race finished, finding extra management resources shouldn't be a problem for Dalts.

Once ETNZ has chewed up its allotted time trialling their first AC72 they can assign a couple of coaches and support crew for youth training and trials in the SL33s.

There's a ton of talent in the NZ Olympic sailing squad. Most should still be on the right size of 24 next summer.

From the 49er class alone, Kiwi teams were second and sixth in the World Champs in Croatia a week ago.

Peter Burling, 21 and Blair Tuke, 22, will wear the Silver Fern in Portsmouth. 49er sailors Marcus Hansen and Josh Porebski, both 19, are also a force.

470 reps Paul Snow-Hansen and Jason Saunders, are both 21.

RG knows all the players. Hey Richard, what's your Kiwi Dream Team for the Red Bull Youth America's Cup in San Francisco next summer?

#213 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

How will the funding be handled? Will Dalts look for additional sponsors for the youth team, sponsors that he could use (better) for the AC campaign? Will he use AC money for the YT - would probably not work, as sponsor money usually is assigned to a certain project. Will he be happy (not that this matters, but we know what to expect if he isn't) to deploy budget to a YT that could be used for the AC team?
Will Yachting NZ be involved, and if so, how (much)?

As far as I understood, it's not only about the HR for GD, it's more about the money. Any info available on his thinking?

#214 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:A-cats, skiffs etc

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Are there any rumours of an Aussie team getting going? Interested people want to know... ;)

#215 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

How will the funding be handled? Will Dalts look for additional sponsors for the youth team, sponsors that he could use (better) for the AC campaign? Will he use AC money for the YT - would probably not work, as sponsor money usually is assigned to a certain project. Will he be happy (not that this matters, but we know what to expect if he isn't) to deploy budget to a YT that could be used for the AC team?
Will Yachting NZ be involved, and if so, how (much)?

As far as I understood, it's not only about the HR for GD, it's more about the money. Any info available on his thinking?

This thing costs as much as a sandwich in relative terms, am I right? 35k + 20k + travel = sandwich. Stay in hostels or get local family hosting - like Optimist regattas, it ain't like they are going to get a salary.

Cheap as chips. Heard from a pile of Swedish kids yesterday...very excited and putting together a group...

#216 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

I was thinking about GD and his funding complaints. Do you think he has just one NZ$ to spare?

BTW, who will pay if a team completely destroys a boat? Larry?

#217 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

I was thinking about GD and his funding complaints. Do you think he has just one NZ$ to spare?

Not if, when.

#218 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Not if, when.

I am asking because this concept is not new. It's been around in motorsports since more than a decade. Although the centralized provider of the cars and their maintenance is usually a car manufacturer (Volkswagen is big in using this concept for their OD series), huge deposits by the participants are required together with the comparatively high entry fee.
In addition, I read today that LE imposed a budget cap of $400m for the ACWS, but I don't know whether the youth series is included. Or will Dietrich pay for it all?

#219 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

Not if, when.

I am asking because this concept is not new. It's been around in motorsports since more than a decade. Although the centralized provider of the cars and their maintenance is usually a car manufacturer (Volkswagen is big in using this concept for their OD series), huge deposits by the participants are required together with the comparatively high entry fee.
In addition, I read today that LE imposed a budget cap of $400m for the ACWS, but I don't know whether the youth series is included. Or will Dietrich pay for it all?

Where did you read this?

#220 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

http://www.faz.net/a...n-11755830.html

#221 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

http://www.faz.net/a...n-11755830.html

Thanks, haven't read that figure before. A lot of that cost though is really spread over the LVC and the AC as well as the ACWS

The headline is another of the themes from here: Athleten verdrängen Seebären

#222 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Not if, when.

i don't pretend to know the exact amount Larry has committed to spend, but I am certain it is nowhere near USD400 million. That is just a silly number.

#223 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Since it is not written what the $400m include, couldn't it be: the ACWS (from the beginning), youth series, OR + 2 x AC72 + 4 x AC45 + other training boats, subsidizing other teams Posted Image, organizing the LVC and, last but not least the AC proper. Shouldn't be too much money for all these endeavours.

How much did AC33 cost him, any suggestions?

#224 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Since it is not written what the $400m include, couldn't it be: the ACWS (from the beginning), youth series, OR + 2 x AC72 + 4 x AC45 + other training boats, subsidizing other teams Posted Image, organizing the LVC and, last but not least the AC proper. Shouldn't be too much money for all these endeavours.

How much did AC33 cost him, any suggestions?

PH is no accountant nor is he paying the bills - the cutbacks and slow downs show that there were serious concerns about overspending the budget, (whatever that is).

But considering what we can see already has been invested in ACWS, the ACXXs and what is going on behind the scenes at OR - design and buildwise, that number doesn't look silly to me.

Maybe Oysterhead will tell us what he's heard.

#225 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Are there any rumours of an Aussie team getting going? Interested people want to know... ;)

Get pro-active and make it happen, if you wait to hear stuff it'll be a done deal before you hear anything.

1. Contact Jason Waterhouse. Great sailor, right age, well connected and sails from a club with a history of getting behind youth sailing.
2. Contact Iain Murray, Grant Simmer, Fresh, Gashby etc. and appeal to their professionaly long lost inner Aussie and see if they can put you in contact with the right people.
3. Get proactive and set up a simple web page. Don't claim to be the Aussie team (until you are) just make it clear you are hoping to work with others to creat one.
4. Contact Clive Palmer, Media chasing billionaire, who has spare money now he no longer has a soccer team and introduce him to the concept. From him you are looking for seed money (not sponsorship) and access to one of his staff members to help with management and introductions.
5. Be willing and prepared to battle for your spot on the boat.
6. Another contact you might be worth talking to would be Simon Mckeon (who I assume you know from A class racing). Simon would make a great coach given his C Class history and is well known to every Aussie company you are likely to approach for sponsorship.

#226 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

Adam Minoprio.

Or, aged 25, is he too old?

Who else?

Grads of the RVYC youth training school.

Or some of those teenage Olympians.

Maybe a few girls.

If they are smart, there will be women in this contest.

#227 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Get pro-active and make it happen, if you wait to hear stuff it'll be a done deal before you hear anything.

1. Contact Jason Waterhouse. Great sailor, right age, well connected and sails from a club with a history of getting behind youth sailing.
2. Contact Iain Murray, Grant Simmer, Fresh, Gashby etc. and appeal to their professionaly long lost inner Aussie and see if they can put you in contact with the right people.
3. Get proactive and set up a simple web page. Don't claim to be the Aussie team (until you are) just make it clear you are hoping to work with others to creat one.
4. Contact Clive Palmer, Media chasing billionaire, who has spare money now he no longer has a soccer team and introduce him to the concept. From him you are looking for seed money (not sponsorship) and access to one of his staff members to help with management and introductions.
5. Be willing and prepared to battle for your spot on the boat.
6. Another contact you might be worth talking to would be Simon Mckeon (who I assume you know from A class racing). Simon would make a great coach given his C Class history and is well known to every Aussie company you are likely to approach for sponsorship.

How about Bondy?

He might like this project.

And might feel like doing something worthwhile.

#228 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

Seems like the first team that wants to enter has been formed.

http://questforthecup.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook...8928528?ref=tck

#229 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

^ Nice!

If they do get a lot of team applications then IM is going to have a problem deciding how to separate the wheat from the chaffe. RC in the ZG-posted audio mentioned (at least) Denmark, Germany, Austria and China possibilities.

#230 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

This version is new to me

#231 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:32 AM

Interesting. Thanks Peter.

Now we need some names and faces.

They also need 100% endorsement from Oracle Racing 'coz under the rules OR has first dibs on forming a US team. Sure hope they're well-connected!

#232 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:57 AM

Interesting. Thanks Peter.

They also need 100% endorsement from Oracle Racing 'coz under the rules OR has first dibs on forming a US team. Sure hope they're well-connected!

The process for team selection is very unclear at the moment, especially in the US.

No one seems to know yet how the sailors will be picked for the Oracle Youth entry. I know there has been a couple of different discussions with US Sailing, but nothing is set yet.

#233 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:24 AM

Rich kids from Stanford.

Good on them!

A good start for them.

And puts a bit of pressure on organisers to clarify the rule(s).

#234 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,243 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

http://questforthecup.wordpress.com/meet-the-team/judge-ryan/ for example. Mostly 420 sailors it seems!

They want $106K. Hope they've got some connections. Good luck to them anyway.

#235 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

Bro I sent you a PM about this. Deal will be done soon I am sure. There are only a handful of suitable people and they have already combined and offered to pay the entry fee. Something called 36 south I believe. And forget about the wahines bro. Do not even go there............

Adam Minoprio.

Or, aged 25, is he too old?

Who else?

Grads of the RVYC youth training school.

Or some of those teenage Olympians.

Maybe a few girls.

If they are smart, there will be women in this contest.

#236 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Hopefully the NZ team is or includes guys like Burling, Tuke, Steele, Junior, Dodson, Maloney, Meech, Loxton pretty healthy isn't it? Bring it on

#237 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hopefully the NZ team is or includes guys like Burling, Tuke, Steele, Junior, Dodson, Maloney, Meech, Loxton pretty healthy isn't it? Bring it on

I wouldn't know about the specifics of who might show up from NZL for the Youth America's Cup, but I know whoever it is will be very good.

I was the Race Admin at Balboa YC in '88 when we invited the kiwi's to send a team. I saw immediately how good that system was even back then. It develops great all around sailors, as opposed to what we do in the US where we body type for Opti's and 4Twinkies, primarily. We get a group in high school that goes into Lasers, but we aren't exactly tearing up the world circuit in that class.

I'd also guess the French will have a ton of young talent from which to pick. And funny, but the former holder of the Cup, that bastion of all things related to fair sailing, SNG, probably has more than a few very talented young multihull sailors hanging around the club.

The team from the US will probably be made up of mostly people who are not the leading names in high school and college sailing - there might be one of those kids who can steer, but otherwise, they are going to have to have look for sailors who were too big for high school and college sailing, but yet sailed on other, bigger, fast boats. I know a couple that fit the profile, but they'd probably not even bother to try and make the team because they are going to start to get on with real life, yet whoever ends up picking the sailors for Oracle ought to start thinking about recruiting, instead of just responding to submitted resumes.

#238 TheMinister

TheMinister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Fast dinghys, windsurfing, working seasons, F1, football (the proper kind), beer.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hmmm, UK team? I'll pony up £10000, a year of my time, and buy myself an f18 and quit my job if you offer a certain contract. Call me!

No but seriously, for all the talk of recruiting established high level racers, if you had the money, it wouldn't be hard to smash it out. $35000 entry fee, another $15000 in incurred costs for the event itself, maybe $50000 for 3 f18 campaigns (6 sailors, so 3 boats) and a sh*tload of dedication, and you get take this one for $100,000. Not bad for an America's Cup!

Or to look at it the other way, it doesn't really actually offer anybody that didn't already have a pretty good shout of getting into the cup a way of getting into the cup. How about making it such that the team will be composed of the top six qualifying sailors from the national f18 (or whatever the locals sail, A class in the states?) regatta. So then your entry cost is effectively for one cat regatta. That would really open it up.

#239 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Presumably it's written by one of these guys : http://questforthecu.../meet-the-team/ Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

......but a few names in the item would make things clearer. I would also have liked them to have addressed why they think they should be preferred over anyone else.

They seem to miss the point a bit about selection*. I hate to say it but we're right back to the "please apply - but your selection will be entirely at our discretion" situation again.

This is the situation for any 'Teams' (other than those already competing in ACWS), i.e. at the discretion of ACRM and also for individual sailors, i.e. at the discretion of whatever 'Team' ACRM accepts from a particular country.

Why 10 boats? Must have agreement from the teams already I guess - but there are 15/16 altogether although at least 2, (ORTUSA) probably don't measure any more.

The first guy in the video above (no names again!) http://www.youtube.c...d&v=qfyx1xLMuuI looks like the young bloke that was photographed trying to explain to JS how he and ORTUSA(5) had managed to ram ORTUSA(4)! Wonder if he is young enough to be sent down to the minor leagues?

1.2. Only one team per country will be accepted except that the City of San Francisco, the Host
City, may have one additional entry.
1.3. The ACRM Regatta Director will determine if teams are accepted or not. The ACRM Regatta
Director will review candidate applications and will accept (at his sole discretion) those he is
satisfied have a reasonable chance of winning the Red Bull Youth America's Cup.
1.4. Each current America's Cup World Series team shall have the first right to apply to enter a
team representing their country.

ADM should try again under 1.2!!

#240 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hmmm, UK team? I'll pony up £10000, a year of my time, and buy myself an f18 and quit my job if you offer a certain contract. Call me!

No but seriously, for all the talk of recruiting established high level racers, if you had the money, it wouldn't be hard to smash it out. $35000 entry fee, another $15000 in incurred costs for the event itself, maybe $50000 for 3 f18 campaigns (6 sailors, so 3 boats) and a sh*tload of dedication, and you get take this one for $100,000. Not bad for an America's Cup!

Or to look at it the other way, it doesn't really actually offer anybody that didn't already have a pretty good shout of getting into the cup a way of getting into the cup. How about making it such that the team will be composed of the top six qualifying sailors from the national f18 (or whatever the locals sail, A class in the states?) regatta. So then your entry cost is effectively for one cat regatta. That would really open it up.

A certain contract - for what?

And BAR has the the right of first refusal for the UK

America's Cup? Hardly - although admittedly run by the same organisation, so a good chance for you (and the other 59 sailorsPosted Image) to be noticed.

#241 WillieMcBride

WillieMcBride

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hi all,
I'm Willie McBride from the Quest For The Cup Campaign, and I wanted to clear a few things up here on SA while we're still getting our campaign info sorted out on the website. So far a few good points have been brought up that I wanted to address, but I'll check back every once in a while update you guys on our progress.

Hope this helps to clarify our earlier blog post, and I'm happy to answer any more questions!
Best,
Willie McBride

They seem to miss the point a bit about selection*. I hate to say it but we're right back to the "please apply - but your selection will be entirely at our discretion" situation again. " - Nav
As KiwiJoker pointed out, "[we want] 100% endorsement from Oracle Racing 'coz under the rules OR has first dibs on forming a US team." Right now we're trying to get some clarity on the selection process/criteria, but at this point we're working on the assumption that we need Oracle's support as well as US Sailing's endorsement (Notice of Event says that National Authorities will be approached). 5 of our team members have been US Sailing Development Team members in the past, so we've been working with those coaches to design a successful on-the-water campaign strategy.

"I would also have liked them to have addressed why they think they should be preferred over anyone else." - Nav
We will leave it up to the ACRM to decide if we are qualified, but we believe that our team is one of the strongest teams that the US youth scene can offer. As Peter pointed out, many of the programs in the US are not currently producing sailors who have experience sailing in international events (Club 420s, College Sailing, High School Sailing, etc.), however our team is composed of sailors with backgrounds in high caliber international events. Personally, I am very excited to be sailing with Judge (ISAF Youth Worlds Bronze Medalist in 29er), Hans (ISAF Youth Worlds Bronze Medalist in 29er, 2009 Moth Junior World Champion), Oliver (extensive experience and results in international 29er, 49er, and laser racing), Kevin (fantastic sailor all around with good international experience in I420 and lasers), and the final member of our team who we confirmed this morning and will be announcing soon! I'll expand on this topic much more in blog posts to come!

#242 TheMinister

TheMinister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Fast dinghys, windsurfing, working seasons, F1, football (the proper kind), beer.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

A certain contract - for what?

And BAR has the the right of first refusal for the UK

America's Cup? Hardly - although admittedly run by the same organisation, so a good chance for you (and the other 59 sailorsPosted Image) to be noticed.

I hearby declare that I'm not just going to run off with TheMinister's money and spend it all on a "Fear and Loathing" style weekend in Vegas. Definitely want to avoid a repeat of that "Pay me and you can have a wildcard slot at Wimbledon" debacle. Boy was that embarrassing when my mum the taxman asked where her money had all gone.....

Gah, I'm just bitter because I dropped out of the racing a few years back and switched to teaching. It's nice and all, but never been able to move on... I coulda been a contender....

#243 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hi all,
I'm Willie McBride from the Quest For The Cup Campaign, and I wanted to clear a few things up here on SA while we're still getting our campaign info sorted out on the website. So far a few good points have been brought up that I wanted to address, but I'll check back every once in a while update you guys on our progress.

Hope this helps to clarify our earlier blog post, and I'm happy to answer any more questions!
Best,
Willie McBride

They seem to miss the point a bit about selection*. I hate to say it but we're right back to the "please apply - but your selection will be entirely at our discretion" situation again. " - Nav
As KiwiJoker pointed out, "[we want] 100% endorsement from Oracle Racing 'coz under the rules OR has first dibs on forming a US team." Right now we're trying to get some clarity on the selection process/criteria, but at this point we're working on the assumption that we need Oracle's support as well as US Sailing's endorsement (Notice of Event says that National Authorities will be approached). 5 of our team members have been US Sailing Development Team members in the past, so we've been working with those coaches to design a successful on-the-water campaign strategy.

"I would also have liked them to have addressed why they think they should be preferred over anyone else." - Nav
We will leave it up to the ACRM to decide if we are qualified, but we believe that our team is one of the strongest teams that the US youth scene can offer. As Peter pointed out, many of the programs in the US are not currently producing sailors who have experience sailing in international events (Club 420s, College Sailing, High School Sailing, etc.), however our team is composed of sailors with backgrounds in high caliber international events. Personally, I am very excited to be sailing with Judge (ISAF Youth Worlds Bronze Medalist in 29er), Hans (ISAF Youth Worlds Bronze Medalist in 29er, 2009 Moth Junior World Champion), Oliver (extensive experience and results in international 29er, 49er, and laser racing), Kevin (fantastic sailor all around with good international experience in I420 and lasers), and the final member of our team who we confirmed this morning and will be announcing soon! I'll expand on this topic much more in blog posts to come!

Thanks for the response and best of luck getting in!

3 things;

- If ORTUSA enter I'm guessing they'll take individuals to build a crew, rather than an already formed one - but that doesn't mean you and your mates aren't all in with a shot

- Once a 'Team' (ORTUSA or whoever) has been accepted by ACRM (and Team in this sense really just means campaign managers or backers) the following are the criteria for the 'crew' :

5. CREW
5.1. Crew selection: Each team shall be responsible for selecting its crew.
5.2. Crew number: Yachts shall be sailed with a crew of six.
5.3. Age: Each crew member shall be at least 19 years of age on August 1, 2013 and shall be
under 24 years of age on October 1, 2013.
5.4. Nationality: Each crew member must have held a passport of or have been domiciled in the
country of the team for which the crew member is sailing for a period of at least five years
immediately prior to October 1, 2013
5.5. Maximum Crew Weight: The maximum all up crew weight shall not exceed 450 kg.
5.6. Payment to participate: Crew members shall not be paid to compete in the event.

So there is no 'approval' of you guys by ACRM .....

- Unless you apply to be the second US team - and that's another possibility right?

#244 WillieMcBride

WillieMcBride

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Thank you!!
"- If ORTUSA enter I'm guessing they'll take individuals to build a crew, rather than an already formed one - but that doesn't mean you and your mates aren't all in with a shot"

This is a distinct possibility that we have considered, however, it is unclear at this point. We feel that the history between our team members is an important aspect of the group, especially because practice time will be limited to a year, however, our goal is to be prepared for whatever application process presents itself, and we feel that the steps that we have taken cover most bases.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: verdana, arial, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: verdana, arial, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">"- Once a 'Team' (ORTUSA or whoever) has been accepted by ACRM (and Team in this sense really just means campaign managers or backers) the following are the criteria for the 'crew'... So there is no 'approval' of you guys by ACRM"

The hard part here is being accepted! What I meant before by "criteria" was the size of the team that they would allow to apply, the things that they will be judging applicants on, etc. We have a several ideas in mind to tweak the team in order to make it even more qualified, but we're waiting for a bit more info before proceeding there.

- Unless you apply to be the second US team - and that's another possibility right?
At this point, we don't even know that there WILL be an ORTUSA, so our immediate intention is to apply to be the "second US team", and if another opportunity presents itself in the meantime, we'll try to take advantage of it!

Best,
Willie

#245 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hi all,

Best,
Willie McBride

Welcome aboard Willie. And best wishes in your quest.

#246 WillieMcBride

WillieMcBride

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

Welcome aboard Willie. And best wishes in your quest.

Thanks!

#247 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

+1

Please try beat the Kiwi Team!

:)

#248 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Thank you!!
"- If ORTUSA enter I'm guessing they'll take individuals to build a crew, rather than an already formed one - but that doesn't mean you and your mates aren't all in with a shot"

This is a distinct possibility that we have considered, however, it is unclear at this point. We feel that the history between our team members is an important aspect of the group, especially because practice time will be limited to a year, however, our goal is to be prepared for whatever application process presents itself, and we feel that the steps that we have taken cover most bases.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: verdana, arial, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: verdana, arial, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">"- Once a 'Team' (ORTUSA or whoever) has been accepted by ACRM (and Team in this sense really just means campaign managers or backers) the following are the criteria for the 'crew'... So there is no 'approval' of you guys by ACRM"

The hard part here is being accepted! What I meant before by "criteria" was the size of the team that they would allow to apply, the things that they will be judging applicants on, etc. We have a several ideas in mind to tweak the team in order to make it even more qualified, but we're waiting for a bit more info before proceeding there.

At this point, we don't even know that there WILL be an ORTUSA, so our immediate intention is to apply to be the "second US team", and if another opportunity presents itself in the meantime, we'll try to take advantage of it!

Best,
Willie

so our immediate intention is to apply to be the "second US team",

Ah, it's all making more sense now then. Thanks for clarifying.

#249 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hi all,

Best,
Willie McBride

Willie...

One of the things I'd suggest you and your guys do is call John Sangmeister and get on his big cat asap. He's a very approachable guy, and I'm sure he'd love to get you guys on the water. If you need help accessing him, send me a PM.

Your collective resume is all fine, but you are going to need to demonstrate experience on big fast boats. Anything big and fast will be of benefit, but a big cat is best.

#250 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Can I ask a question?

How is this going to promote 'Youth' sailing?

If you have to pony-up $35g's just to get in, it sure sounds more like an elitist sport than something for the masses.

Isn't that what the promotion has been, to spread the sport to the masses?

It's like a kid in NASCAR; to get a ride you had better bring a sponsor along or no matter your talent, you aint getting behind the wheel.

Maybe sailing needs to be more like baseball and college football, you have scouts all over the place searching out talent, and then bringing them along from the small leagues to the big league.

If the major teams are struggling to field an AC team, with all their exposure, how are some kids going to raise the funds to get in, unless they just happen to know somebody?

#251 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

Can I ask a question?

How is this going to promote 'Youth' sailing?

If you have to pony-up $35g's just to get in, it sure sounds more like an elitist sport than something for the masses.

Isn't that what the promotion has been, to spread the sport to the masses?

It's like a kid in NASCAR; to get a ride you had better bring a sponsor along or no matter your talent, you aint getting behind the wheel.

Maybe sailing needs to be more like baseball and college football, you have scouts all over the place searching out talent, and then bringing them along from the small leagues to the big league.

If the major teams are struggling to field an AC team, with all their exposure, how are some kids going to raise the funds to get in, unless they just happen to know somebody?

NOTE: The Event Notice has been amended (23.05.12) - one change I noted is that the reference to consultation with the National Authority (which seemed quite important to our young friends above!) has been removed.
All the sponsors logos are gone too!?

This event will promote young sailors, just not masses of them. A total of 60, plus some reserves, from around the world.

The talent scouting is presumably to be done by the 'Teams' that are backing the youths, although there is nothing to stop a group of young sailors forming their own 'Team' and attempting to get ACRM acceptance directly.

From the way the Event Notice is worded though this is probably not what ACRM are anticipating. They seem to see either an existing ACWS team finding young sailors to represent them and their sponsors, or an existing sailing team from some other series stepping up, or possibly some old hands forming a group to 'manage' a campaign for a young crew.

The youths are 'Crew' - to be selected by a team that has been accepted by ACRM. It is the 'Teams' responsibility to first convince ACRM that all the resources exist - to have a reasonable chance of winning the Red Bull Youth America's Cup.

- Will ACRM buy, rent or borrow the AC45s it needs for a 10 (and a spare??) boat fleet?
- Who is doing the OD sails for the RBYAC?

#252 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

^ Thought we read "four boat fleet" somewhere?

#253 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Fun read here http://www.sailrevol...g-wings-with-jc

#254 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

^ Thought we read "four boat fleet" somewhere?

Nah - that's the LVC, oh hang on that's just three. The AC? No, that's just two

Here for example: http://www.washingto...cNXU_story.html

The competition will include up to 10 national teams consisting of six sailors, aged 19 to 23. There also will be a team representing the San Francisco Bay Area, as host city.

So maybe 10 maybe 11 = 12 boats needed - with a spare?

- I've just checked and they have changed the age for the crewPosted Image in the amended EN

The original* had an effective range of 20 - 23 during the regatta - it's now 19 - 23

*typo?

#255 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

It says 'teams' not 'boats' but I can't find a 'four boats' reference, so you may well be right.

Ten is also the understanding of QC (Quest for the Cup):
http://questforthecu...mps-up/#more-80

"What we know so far is that sometime in August or September of 2013, 10 AC45s will line up in San Francisco for the honor of winning the first ever Youth America’s Cup."

#256 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Regardless of giving SR another reason to pick on me, I wonder whether the Youth America's Cup will be MR or FR. With MR you only need 4 boats plus maybe 1 spare. And after all, there is the ugly "AC" also in this event's name. Just askin'...

#257 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

^ Good question. I too hope the Youth Cup is won in a Match Race.. but doubt that it will be.

There may be a lot still undecided, including number of boats and race formats.

#258 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

^ Good question. I too hope the Youth Cup is won in a Match Race.. but doubt that it will be.

There may be a lot still undecided, including number of boats and race formats.

It's all fleet racing - in the EN.

#259 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

^
Good to have one around here who can read.

#260 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Was just there. Bold mine,

3. FORMAT
3.1. The regatta format will be fleet racing. The rules governing the event are specified at section 8 below.

8. RULES

8.1. The event shall be governed by:
(a ) this document and any amended version of this document issued from time to time;
(b ) the AC45 Class Rule as modified by ACRM for the event;
(c ) the ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing (America’s Cup Edition) (“RRSAC”) as modified by
ACRM for the event;
(d ) the Sailing Instructions; and
(e ) any regatta memorandums issued by the ACRM Regatta Director from time to time
governing the event and/or the teams’ participation in the event.

8.2. Unless otherwise provided, the documents referred to above shall have precedence in the
order the documents are listed. Any conflict between the provisions of such documents shall
be resolved in favor of the document listed first.

#261 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

You have to be realistic, match racing is a niche inside a niche.
There is no way you can find enough youth sailors anywhere that have extensive match racing experience.

#262 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

There is no way you can find enough youth sailors anywhere that have extensive match racing experience.

You're not talking AC here, are you?

The WMRT and national MR series/events developed a lot of good match racers over the years, young ones who "ended up" in the AC eventually. Not all of them, and others came into the AC via other ways, but it was one of the most important feeder series.

So now the second feeder series for the AC is a pure FR series, while the first one is kind of neglecting MR. All for THE MR event. No logic in that, sorry. Instead of promoting MR to prepare participants and spectators for the big event, the actual big event becomes more and more obscure and decoupled from all that happens before. No consistency here.

Someone here compared the AC and its side shows with F1 and GP2. I am not aware that GP2 is a rallye and F1 a circuit race, but maybe I will be proven wrong.

Again, I do not know how to explain to mildly interested people how the AC side shows relate to the AC. Shrug.

#263 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

^ Perhaps the TV commentators will explain it for them.

"The American flagged boat is Youth Team USA, etc. And the first team to cross that finish line wins!"

This ACYS has the potential to be a ~lot~ of fun. Red Bull should help make it a blast, they've got the perfect attitude.

#264 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

I thought the Americas Cup youth series would be a training ground for the Americas Cup , the " pinnacle " of MATCH RACING . Why even sully the name with just another one design regatta ?

#265 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

^ Yup! But they've gotta start somewhere and muscling AC45s around a course on the SF Bay waterfront looks great to me.

There will be plenty of cover moves even in the FR starts, we've been seeing that already.

#266 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

I thought the Americas Cup youth series would be a training ground for the Americas Cup , the " pinnacle " of MATCH RACING . Why even sully the name with just another one design regatta ?

To fill up all the spare days.

Because of the emaciated entries in the LVC.

#267 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

The ACWS has a LOT of match racing going on, with TH and Artemis leading so far, even if it is not what the broadcasts are focussed on so far. They ~are~ running that race program.

If anyone is desperate to see the MR'ing then they should get that ticket to Newport next, and SF after that. At least watch the Venezia MR finale, something I doubt many here have bothered to do.

#268 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

The ACWS has a LOT of match racing going on, with TH and Artemis leading so far, even if it is not what the broadcasts are focussed on so far. They ~are~ running that race program.

If anyone is desperate to see the MR'ing then they should get that ticket to Newport next, and SF after that. At least watch the Venezia MR finale, something I doubt many here have bothered to do.

I have the opertunity to attend both and if I do I will add what I can find of interest .

#269 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

^ Perhaps the TV commentators will explain it for them.

"The American flagged boat is Youth Team USA, etc. And the first team to cross that finish line wins!"

This ACYS has the potential to be a ~lot~ of fun. Red Bull should help make it a blast, they've got the perfect attitude.

bold: I agree and am not questioning this, but it's not the point of my complaint.

Would do so. Will Larry fund my trips and absence at work?

#270 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,450 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

i think the youth teams should have le mans style beach starts

after the gun

they chug-a-lug 5 cans of red bull each

before they sprint 100mtr to launch their cats off the beach and race to the 1st mark

edit; those rudders gonna need some work

but it'll be worth it

#271 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,243 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

The ACWS has a LOT of match racing going on

Well Venice has more than Naples. It's still highly truncated as an elimination series.

At least watch the Venezia MR finale, something I doubt many here have bothered to do.

I did actually. The coverage I found started about 20 secs before the start, by which time Artemis had established a lead they held to the finish. Duh, it's match racing. Show us the pre-start, it's the most important bit.

#272 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

^ Agreed. Was limited to just the Jackapp but even going by that the prestarts were clearly where most all of the action happened. ORS v LRP in R3 was tenacious. They need to show a lot more of it.

The FR starts are good too but it's hardly the same.

#273 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

'GBR Youth Challenge Forming'

https://twitter.com/...993377196949505

#274 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

And another American team with ACYS aspirations: The Force!
http://americanyouthsailingforce.com/

#275 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Nice: http://www.youthac.com.au/

Posted Image
--
Australian youth team is looking for additional team members and partners in the lead up to the first ever Youth America's Cup.

Team Australia has been formed by a group of young, skilled and determined Australian sailors with support from experienced members of the sailing community, to challenge for the Red Bull Youth America's Cup. The current sailors and managers of Team Australia invite other young and enthusiastic sailors who will at least 19 years of age (at August 1st 2013) and under 24 (at September 30th 2013) to sign your name up if you think you have what it takes to be part of a team that has one common goal, the Cup! We have already received expressions of interest from current and past National champions, youth world representatives and current Olympic team members. However, we are still looking for more sailors as we would like to create the largest possible pool from whom to select our sailing crew. The team can be contacted through our Facebook Page or our website (www.YouthAC.com.au).

We are not just about turning up and going sailing. It is also about teaching and learning from one another to increase the knowledge and capacity of everyone involved. The aim is to help educate the young members of the team with the expectation that each member will bring a particular skill-set that can be combined and used to serve a common purpose. This combined skill-set, as well as the development of a few finer points from some of the most knowledgeable sailors and coaches in the world, will only continue to expand Team Australia's opportunities for achieving success.

Team Australia anticipates there will be other potential teams working towards this amazing opportunity. As a determined,focused and open team, we encourage other interested parties to contact us and potentially form one strong team with the ultimate chance of success.

Posted Image

#276 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:A-cats, skiffs etc

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

Thanks for the support stingray, team aus is looking for any interested parties to contact us through the website.

#277 Laser174234

Laser174234

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

Connect with American Youth Sailing Force on Facebook. The URL is Facebook.com/americanyouthsailingforce

Also follow the team's training progress at Americanyouthsailingforce.com

Currently we are looking to develop key partnerships with companies as we work our way towards our goal of winning the first ever Youth America's Cup.

May the Force be with all of you Anarchists!

-Josh, American Youth Sailing Force

#278 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

on the FP
--

young mc's

We received this rather optimistic PR today. Maybe they can get Tone Loc to sail with them?

There will be two teams from the USA in the Red Bull Youth Americas Cup, one Team USA and one Team San Francisco Bay. We are Team City Front, a group of youth sailors from San Francisco Bay planning to represent our home town in the Youth Americas Cup. The members of our team include Antoine Screve, who brought home a bronze and silver medal from two Youth World’s. Finn and Alek Nilsen also known as Team Nilsen, who placed top 5 in events such as 29er North Americans, U.S. 29er Nationals,  and 29er U.S. Youth Champs. James Moody who crewed with Antoine Screve in the 29er and has shared Antoine’s success in the 29er. Megan Hayes who has been a passionate sailor in San Francisco Bay, who is also captain of the UC Berkley Sailing Team.

We are currently reviewing other San Francisco Bay sailors to be the sixth person on Team City Front. We are all very excited for the Youth Americas Cup and the Americas Cup to come to San Francisco Bay and we look forward to possibly having the chance to sail on an AC 45. Please visit our website and also check out our facebook and twitter pages.

06/15/12
--
edit, link: http://www.teamcityfront.com/

#279 vgueho

vgueho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

Hello guys,

I'm pleased to introduce you the French Youth Team on its way to the Red Bull Youth America's Cup. This project has been launched by the SL16 French Class Association.
More information coming soon on the web, on a brand new website but before that stay tuned to www.SL16.com!

Vincent GUEHO
CEO French Youth Team
President SL16 Class Association

#280 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

Excellent

#281 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

Things have been quiet for a few days on the Red Bull Youth America's Cup front. Hopefully we can expect some news and updates while the ACWS is in Newport.

Meanwhile, thought it would be good to round up all the hopefuls in one posting, giving us something to build on as others surface. So:

USA -
Quest for the Cup, http://questforthecup.wordpress.com/
American Youth Sailing Force, http://americanyouthsailingforce.com/
Team City Front, http://www.teamcityfront.com/

NZ -
No details yet

Australia -
Team Australia, http://www.youthac.com.au/

France -
French Youth Team, http://www.SL16.com/ (temporary holding address)

Britain -
GBR Youth Challenge, http://es.twitter.com/#!/GBRYouthAC

#282 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

^ Nice, beat me to the exact same summary idea.

How about some selected graphics and pics.. Nav, anyone?

Because the 'real' action is not until 2013 it's hard to guess how much action there will be to follow in between; but it's possible there'll be some fun to follow if we can keep good track of these efforts.

#283 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

Things have been quiet for a few days on the Red Bull Youth America's Cup front. Hopefully we can expect some news and updates while the ACWS is in Newport.

Meanwhile, thought it would be good to round up all the hopefuls in one posting, giving us something to build on as others surface. So:

USA -

NZ -
No details yet

Australia -
Team Australia, http://www.youthac.com.au/

France -

Britain -

This may be a separate effort from France, not sure:

http://www.facebook.com/FRY45?filter=1

Posted Image

#284 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

This may be a separate effort from France, not sure:

http://www.facebook.com/FRY45?filter=1

Posted Image

Just a quick check but it appears to be a separate group.

Of course the beauty, if you can call it that, of Facebook is that it costs nothing more than a few photos and an hour of computer time to transform yourself into a wannerbe.

However it seems this group has some heft. One member of this team has the surname Lauriot Prevost!

A quick check of the Facebook page also turned up an Argentinian team.

I'll add both to the tally and repost.

#285 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Two more potential challengers have surfaced for the Red Bull Youth America's Cup. There may be more announcements in Newport while the AC45s are in town. Meanwhile, here's the current list:

Argentina -
AC45 Youth Team Argentina, https://www.facebook...uthAgentinaTeam

Australia -
Team Australia,
http://www.youthac.com.au/

Britain -

France -

FRY 45, https://www.facebook.com/FRY45/info

NZ -
No details yet

USA -

#286 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Team Quest makes news
http://www.gostanfor.../062512aaa.html

#287 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

Argentina -
AC45 Youth Team Argentina, https://www.facebook...uthAgentinaTeam

Australia -
Team Australia,
http://www.youthac.com.au/ , www.facebook.com/YouthACTeamAustralia

Britain -

France -

FRY 45, https://www.facebook.com/FRY45/info

NZ -
No details yet

USA -

China-
Team China http://www.americasc...na-Team/Latest/

Canada-
Surely there will be someone ?

#288 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

A little OT but someone did the ACWS Newport nationality math

http://t.co/q63mR1NK

#289 WillieMcBride

WillieMcBride

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

Team Quest makes news
http://www.gostanfor.../062512aaa.html

Thanks for the shout out Stingray! We were also in the last Sailing World on page 17 in the article entitled "Training Wings"; very exciting!! We have several new developments unfolding right now, so we will be sure to keep you updated as things begin to happen quickly in the next few days! In the mean time, check out our "featured sailor of the week", Hans Henken. Hans is one of our team members who has a World Championship title under his belt (2009 Moth Junior World Champion) as well as an ISAF Youth World medal. His resume, which spans 49ers, moths, and bigger keel boats is a great example of the types of high performance, one design sailing that our team has lots of experience with. Check out Hans' "Technique Tuesday" segment which was featured on Sailgroove, or read this article which was featured on the GoStanford website (Hans will be a Sophmore at Stanford University in the fall).
Best,
Willie McBride
Team QFTC Campaign Manager
www.questforthecup.wordpress.com

#290 naca6716

naca6716

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

From AYSF website:

http://americanyouth...orce.com/?p=427

#291 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

From AYSF website:

http://americanyouth...orce.com/?p=427

New at there

Rocketeering – 60 mile in Bay Race

Yesterday was Island Yacht Club’s annual race, The Silver Eagle, a 60 mile SF Bay tour. I was fortunate enough to sail aboard the Rocket 88, a custom 33 foot catamaran from Santa Cruz. After a quick and early sail from Richmond to the start line off of Golden Gate Yacht Club, I realized that I was in for quite an experience.

contd

#292 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

Seen at http://www.catsailin...ntina.html#more

The Facebook link is above, in KJ's post.

Posted Image

I always like how the old guard and naysayers get frustrated when they try to debunk natural evolution like cats in the Americas Cup: "Coutts this , Coutts that", "Cats can´t Match Race", "What whapened with the Youth AC", "Paint is faster"... (ah no that's from other old and non informed guard), "Development kills a class" (Tell that to the 100 sailors at Circolo Vela Arco racing the 2012 Europeans) and blalbalblabla...

And guess what?? This new "format" is reaping the fruits promoting sailing as never before and encouraging our youth: Six young talented sailors from Argentina look up to the challenge and got together to form a local Challenge for the Youth Americas Cup on the AC45s.
Geared up by two of them involved in our local F18 class, Nico Aragones and Gaston Terrab, 2 of our best F18 crews along another youth, Juan Martin Benitez. The three of them coming from the 29er fleet.

contd

#293 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

new upload

Red Bull hits the spot in Newport on Super Sunday!

We had an epic week of racing in Newport, Rhode Island. Red Bull Air dropping in, literally, on the event on Super Sunday to kick off racing in style. Check out these fearless air crusaders as they zoom in to Fort Adams, giving a wind check on Narragansett Bay before racing kicked off on Super Sunday with Fleet and Match Racing Finals.

#294 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

The goal posts were moved a bit for the Red Bull Youth AC yesterday and there are now three distinct paths into the event.
1. Be a LV team.
-Oracle
-ETNZ
- Artemis
-Team Korea
-Luna Rosa
2. Own an AC 45.
-China
-Energy
-if you have the cash they will sell you one.
3. Via a qualification event in February where there are four spots up for grabs.

The other changes are the age group is now between 19 and 25 and you can have two teams per country.

#295 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

The goal posts were moved a bit for the Red Bull Youth AC yesterday and there are now three distinct paths into the event.
1. Be a LV team.
-Oracle
-ETNZ
- Artemis
-Team Korea
-Luna Rosa
2. Own an AC 45.
-China
-Energy
3. Via a qualification event in February where there are four spots up for grabs.

The other changes are the age group is now between 19 and 25 and you can have two teams per country.

Good update, but from where?

#296 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

1. Be a LV team.
-Oracle
-ETNZ
- Artemis
-Team Korea
-Luna Rosa
2. Own an AC 45.
-China
-Energy

Getting much more sensable . I remember the days when youth stopped at 18 :) Shouldn't they be calling the the AC adult series now ? Much better all around .

#297 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

1. Be a LV team.
-Oracle
-ETNZ
- Artemis
-Team Korea
-Luna Rosa
2. Own an AC 45.
-China
-Energy

ACRM update sent out to all the teams who have registered their interest in the event.

#298 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

1. Be a LV team.
-Oracle
-ETNZ
- Artemis
-Team Korea
-Luna Rosa
2. Own an AC 45.
-China
-Energy

ACRM update sent out to all the teams who have registered their interest in the event.

Thanks. (ORTUSA is not really a LV Team - but I know what they mean)

What's the plan for boats now? A fixed number of Red Bull branded ones, bring your own, a mix??

#299 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

^ The 'up to two per country' is interesting; presumably that does not change things for the USA, or do we get up to three now including the SF representative?

And.. is the limit still at ten?

#300 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

The words above are my words not there and I was paraphrasing and now I re-read I got a few things wrong. In my attempt to simplify.

More correctly it says:

1. All current ACWS teams.
2. Anyone who buys a boat (still max two per country)
3. People who qualify in February (assum,ing their countries slots haven't been filled by steps 1 and 2.

There is more info to be released on the 15th of July, but my understanding is all boats will still have Red Bull branding, infact you have to deliver your boat to them by July 1st 2013 so they can "prepare and maintain them" which I suspect means apply new stickers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users