What happened?

#2 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

It will never happen in wing sailed AC 45's. Who will bankroll such a project when one mistake by a PROFESSIONAL leads to a 100,000 $ repair bill? I've said it from day one , it's a wonderful feel good idea that just is not realistic. If the pros have problems handling these boats how will Timmy testasarone manage ?

#3 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Agree but hoping one one of Russels little bitches would answer. They all profess to believe in helping youth sailors. And one would hope that the Editor did as well..............

It will never happen in wing sailed AC 45's. Who will bankroll such a project when one mistake by a PROFESSIONAL leads to a 100,000 $ repair bill? I've said it from day one , it's a wonderful feel good idea that just is not realistic. If the pros have problems handling these boats how will Timmy testasarone manage ?

#4 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Maybe the Te Kooti could answer this. A lot of money is now tied up in "compensation" . Perhaps our bro could enlighten us?

#5 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

Agree but hoping one one of Russels little bitches would answer. They all profess to believe in helping youth sailors. And one would hope that the Editor did as well..............

A youth series may well still happen but not the way they first tried to sell it in AC 45's . It will be interesting to see what will come of them after Larry stops footing the bills . At this stage the silence with regards to the youth series says it all as far as its stand priority wise.

#6 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

A youth series may well still happen but not the way they first tried to sell it in AC 45's . It will be interesting to see what will come of them after Larry stops footing the bills . At this stage the silence with regards to the youth series says it all as far as its stand priority wise.

Lets start a rumour: Larry is buying a fleet of winged SL33s for the Junior ACWSL33 in 2013

#7 Cadet

Cadet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

This.

There was a lot of information on the original americascup.com earlier this year about the youth series. I think it even had it's own section. That rather quietly faded away though.
Maybe AC45s with soft sails could make an appearance for any young series in the future? It would certainly be cheaper and could potentially cause less damage?

#8 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

This.

There was a lot of information on the original americascup.com earlier this year about the youth series. I think it even had it's own section. That rather quietly faded away though.
Maybe AC45s with soft sails could make an appearance for any young series in the future? It would certainly be cheaper and could potentially cause less damage?

I agree . My guess is IF they do end up having one it will be with soft sails , much better in every way from a training perspective . Not sure of the platform however .

#9 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

They've had to drop the Youth Series because none of the parents want the Youth exposed to the sailors' bad language.

#10 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

They've had to drop the Youth Series because none of the parents want the Youth exposed to the sailors' bad language.

I know you are joking but this needs to be said again - half of Team Korea and Team China, not to mention one of ORs skippers, could have sailed in the 'last' Youth Series, had there been one. These guys are the worlds top match racers amongst other things by now - and you would send them out with training wheels? Get real.

#11 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

I know you are joking but this needs to be said again - half of Team Korea and Team China, not to mention one of ORs skippers, could have sailed in the 'last' Youth Series, had there been one. These guys are the worlds top match racers amongst other things by now - and you would send them out with training wheels? Get real.

In two events with " the best sailors in the world " the repair bill was in excess of 250,000$ for two incidents . Thats what's real.

#12 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

^ in the (could be since changed) plan that IM described, and that was documented by RG after a media briefing, it had ACRM leasing AC45s from teams for the Youth Series. And presumably therefore taking responsibility for any damage.

#13 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

In two events with " the best sailors in the world " the repair bill was in excess of 250,000$ for two incidents . Thats what's real.

Ok if you are saying the boats are too expensive for anyone to sail outside the AC Team environment I might go along with that - but the suggestion that all sailors under 23 are only good enough for Optis is getting old Posted Image

#14 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

This is a video from one of the Dutch youth teams, guessing they are 14yo.
They are reaching in 25kt winds and perfect control:

I bet some of the youth team could give the pro guys a real run for their money.

#15 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

^ in the (could be since changed) plan that IM described, and that was documented by RG after a media briefing, it had ACRM leasing AC45s from teams for the Youth Series. And presumably therefore taking responsibility for any damage.

I suppose it could happen . I mean after Larry stops footing the bills they could pay for it with that TV revenue :lol:

#16 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Ok if you are saying the boats are too expensive for anyone to sail outside the AC Team environment
I might go along with that - but the suggestion that all sailors under 23 are only good enough for Optis is getting old Posted Image

That is exactly what I am saying . Too expensive to support and maintain, too fragile and WAY to expensive to fix .

#17 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Max, why is it that with every post you are so relentlessly negative?

#18 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

I wouldn't call it negative more realistic. I mean can anyone see the AC45's being used for a youth series ? I called BS on this the first time they announced it in the early days of courting SF by ACEA. Does anyone have a clue as to who could fund such a series and if that someone is out there why haven't they stepped up already. Youth series have always struggled at yacht clubs world wide and suddenly there is going to be funding for one of the most technical and fragile platforms out there ? Nothing negative here , just some obvious facts. As for any other " negative " posts I'm just reporting the facts as I see them , not making them up .

#19 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

^ It is not just your YS comments that are relentlessly negative. Take a look at your last 350 posts and see if even one of them is enjoyable. If 'practical' is your only measure of anything then you're quite obviously posting in the wrong forum.

AC34 is all about 'radical' - like it or not.

#20 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

^ It is not just your YS comments that are relentlessly negative. Take a look at your last 350 posts and see if even one of them is enjoyable. If 'practical' is your only measure of anything then you're quite obviously posting in the wrong forum.

AC34 is all about 'radical' - like it or not.

There are two sides to every issue . I tend to go for what I see as more down to earth , less pie in the sky. Turning something that used to be special into a reality TV show doesn't sit well with me . 350 posts is a lot of smoke, where's the fire ?

#21 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

He adds balance to the OTT optimism that occasionally shows up.

At least everything is not ILLEGAL and no one is going to PRISON for FRAUD, and governments aren't being sued.

#22 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

Turning something that used to be special into a reality TV show doesn't sit well with me.

Used to be special?

The reality is that it has been that way, since forever already. Whether it suiting TV sits well w you or not.

Everyone is calling for 'reality TV' and those posts are mostly yearning for hand to hand combat, screaming, and it's already obvious that it's going to happen come crunch time.

In the mean time, have you checked out low-brow UFC? It could be the 'special' emotion you're after.

#23 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

Turning something that used to be special into a reality TV show doesn't sit well with me.

Used to be special?

The reality is that it has been that way, since forever already. Whether it suiting TV sits well w you or not.

Everyone is calling for 'reality TV' and those posts are mostly yearning for hand to hand combat, screaming, and it's already obvious that it's going to happen come crunch time.

In the mean time, have you checked out low-brow UFC? It could be the 'special' emotion you're after.

Reality TV is exactly what I am not looking for . The Americas Cup should not have to bow down to the great god TV and even some of the major players , RC for one of all people , are seeing this trend become more prevalent. The event has been diluted on all fronts from the number of participants to the length of the races . A 20 to 30 min sprint is not up to the prestige that was once what the Cup was about .The Cup should come first , whether or not I can see it is irrelevant. As for the UFC fans those are what the AC is heading toward, not my crowd to be honest.

#24 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

Reality TV is exactly what I am not looking for .

Then go off and watch some sanitized, personality-free, geologic event like ice bergs melting.

The Americas Cup should not have to bow down to the great god TV and even some of the major players , RC for one of all people , are seeing this trend become more prevalent.

The massive chip on your shoulder problem with the 'Great God TV' is what, exactly? Did they kick your dog's ass too?

The event has been diluted on all fronts from the number of participants to the length of the races .

'Diluted' is your interpretation. 'On all fronts' is too. I happen to ~like~ that we have no pretenders, and happen to ~like~ the intensity of short races. You can stop declarativly claiming those opinions of your, as facts. They are still not.

A 20 to 30 min sprint is not up to the prestige that was once what the Cup was about .

Your old definition of Prestige is about the ~length~ of a race?? Even if in 80% of the time, nobody ever overtook in a 3 hour race, that nobody could see, or even cared about?

here we go again...spinbot in full froth job against someone who thinks the AC should not be reality tv, doesn't need nascar crashes or its joe six pack fans or russels attention deficit facebookers and that the AC has been fucked over by russelworld and lazzas money....

#25 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

^ here we go again, ro! fully frosh job pegged out on the RC-hatred delusion meter.

The AC, and sailing in general, appealing to a wider audience is IMO good for ~everyone~.

This AC34 on SF Bay will be pretty big; even if for whatever bizarre reasons you wish it weren't coming down the tracks at you.

#26 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

Reality TV is exactly what I am not looking for .

Then go off and watch some sanitized, personality-free, geologic event like ice bergs melting.

Actually I am a real F1 fan, a sport that has evolved tech wise like no other and still didn't have to sell out .

The Americas Cup should not have to bow down to the great god TV and even some of the major players , RC for one of all people , are seeing this trend become more prevalent.

The massive chip on your shoulder problem with the 'Great God TV' is what, exactly? Did they kick your dog's ass too?

Actually I work in the TV and film buisness so in general I have no issues with them as I see them take over events all the time . As for what is going on here its only going to get worse. Dont take my word for it ask RC.

The event has been diluted on all fronts from the number of participants to the length of the races .

'Diluted' is your interpretation. 'On all fronts' is too. I happen to ~like~ that we have no pretenders, and happen to ~like~ the intensity of short races. You can stop declarativly claiming those opinions of yours as facts. They are not.

You were the one touting how many " teams " were attending the opening meetings and how wonderful it all was . If you recall I was the one referring to most of them as being more of a moving chicane if they even actually hit the water . Now you are the one calling them pretenders ? Is it not a FACT that we have the least amount of entrants to AC34 than we have had in a real longtime ?

A 20 to 30 min sprint is not up to the prestige that was once what the Cup was about .

Your old definition of Prestige is about the ~length~ of a race?? Even if in 80% of the time, nobody ever overtook in a 3 hour race, that nobody could see, or even cared about?

The shorter the race the more luck plays into it . I would rather see less luck and more skill win a race but I guess thats just me .

#27 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

The Cup should come first , whether or not I can see it is irrelevant.

'The Cup' is by your definition just some 1980's era boredom to to me. Time and technology moves on, even if you can't.

Again F1 has managed to stay on the leading edge tech wise and still didn't sell out to do so .

As for the UFC fans those are what the AC is heading toward, not my crowd to be honest.

It is what I suggested you move towards, since you appear so interested in just basic hand-to-hand combat aggression in so many of your hundreds of posts. Check it out, I did and am ready to prove it. Your attitude sucks no matter the subject.

I guess my posts are mostly negative because there is just so much with regards to what is going on to work with . I am not making this up . Hell even ask GD or RC about the 72's . Does one and done mean anything to you ?

#28 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Skill will be paramount come crunch time, no matter all your hundreds of negative beefs.

#29 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

Skill will be paramount come crunch time, no matter all your hundreds of negative beefs.

I don't know that anyone would necessarily disagree with this, but;.

What has become really tiring, even for a fan, is the incessant posts as to how unbelievable an event this will be. Hype has a runway, and at the moment it has clearly run it's course.

Even if this event will be great, which I expect, you need to seriously lay off and let people realize it as it unfolds. You can post 1000 times on SA how great it will be, but give people the benefit of their own judgement in making that determination. If it happens let it - quit trying to force it.

Everyone knows most of what you post is directly from TE or your personal interest in the cup - and as much as the AC has interest, not all share your or TE's viewpoint.

Give it a frigging break, for your own benefit.

#30 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,943 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

What has become really tiring, even for a fan, is the incessant posts as to how unbelievable an event this will be. Hype has a runway, and at the moment it has clearly run it's course.

Even if this event will be great, which I expect, you need to seriously lay off and let people realize it as it unfolds. You can post 1000 times on SA how great it will be, but give people the benefit of their own judgement in making that determination. If it happens let it - quit trying to force it.

Everyone knows most of what you post is directly from TE or your personal interest in the cup - and as much as the AC has interest, not all share your or TE's viewpoint.

I read this 3 times and then checked the poster's name 10 times! And I actually agree with everything said.

So far, this round of the AC has only partly delivered. Some of what we have seen has been excellent. Some has been decidedly second rate. Nobody, including the whole AC Alphabet and defnder team think that it is anywhere near right yet. Despite that, dear old Stingray will jump on anything that wiffs of the slightest critisism of what is going on.

Stingray - you used to be so admired for the depth of your research and your ability, at short notice, to provide exactly the right bit of information. You promised us that you wouldn't be a slavish follower of Oracle and would be ready to critisise them if there were shortcomings. You have lost all semblence of reasonable discourse as you now simply defend anything and everything the defender camp does or says. I believe that if RC held up a black card and said it was "Oracle White", you would be the first to argue that the black was indeed white!

I would so much like to have the old Stingray back and I am sure so would many others. Spinbot needs to be put back in the box.

#31 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Interests:Moths, A-Cats, speed, efficiency

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

Bit dissapointing really, looking at some of the mistakes made by the pro guys where they steer straight into the back of waves etc instead of taking the penalty of going past the course boundary and taking the speed penalty, then finding a good flat bit of water and bearing away makes me think that many of the better young skiff or cat sailors in the world would do just as good as the pro guys at times. You won't be bringing your skippers in from things like club 420s or lasers, but there are young people around that sail on 49ers, F18s/F16s, 12 foot skiffs, moths etc that have come through similar pathways like Nathan Outteridge and co have come through that would be more then capable of steering these boats around a course quickly in a blow.

#32 blakie

blakie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I read this 3 times and then checked the poster's name 10 times! And I actually agree with everything said.

So far, this round of the AC has only partly delivered. Some of what we have seen has been excellent. Some has been decidedly second rate. Nobody, including the whole AC Alphabet and defnder team think that it is anywhere near right yet. Despite that, dear old Stingray will jump on anything that wiffs of the slightest critisism of what is going on.

Stingray - you used to be so admired for the depth of your research and your ability, at short notice, to provide exactly the right bit of information. You promised us that you wouldn't be a slavish follower of Oracle and would be ready to critisise them if there were shortcomings. You have lost all semblence of reasonable discourse as you now simply defend anything and everything the defender camp does or says. I believe that if RC held up a black card and said it was "Oracle White", you would be the first to argue that the black was indeed white!

I would so much like to have the old Stingray back and I am sure so would many others. Spinbot needs to be put back in the box.

i also read this and decided to come from retirement and chime in....as i totally agree with both posts.

but i must add that my disappointment (not negativity) lies with Oracle, TE and all the powers within the team and organizers....they, as with SRay need to perhaps come clean with the ac world and say, "hey, maybe we got some things wrong" instead of the spinbot and more spinbot. they have over promised and under delivered and EVERYONE has noticed. including the prospective sponsors, teams, and so on.

the list is sooo long is amazing....and yes, we will all tune in to see the cup in frisco....but you can't argue with the fact that they have done pretty mediocre job so far.

#33 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

^ You guys are completely wrong if you're suffering under the delusion that I post what TE thinks. Fact is, I don't know much about what he thinks.

My reason for keeping engaged is purely for fun. I've pointed to plenty of things that I'd do differently too but am for the most part optimistic for continued entertainment out of the ACWS and the AC. There's lots to point to, lots to follow, lots to enjoy.

#34 blakie

blakie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

you just proved our point....dumbass
defend at all cost

instead of....hey, maybe they have a point?
can't say we didn't try
:blink:

#35 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

From one of many whose opinion matters, good one:
http://www.marinebus...ricas-Cup/96648

#36 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

In fact I hope SR represents TE s unofficial opinion on the forum. Good to have the different point of view, we are not obliged to agree though.
Obviously, political reasons make the game a bit more complicated and SR has to claim he speaks for himself, I have no problem with that.
But yes, we have to sort the hype vs the reality check...

#37 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

In fact I hope SR represents TE s unofficial opinion on the forum. Good to have the different point of view, we are not obliged to agree though.
Obviously, political reasons make the game a bit more complicated and SR has to claim he speaks for himself, I have no problem with that.
But yes, we have to sort the hype vs the reality check...

If you're interested in following TE then visit his FaceBook page. He's doing a nice job with keeping it updated, checked it again just now. http://www.facebook.com/tom.ehman

#38 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

My reason for keeping engaged is purely for fun.

Your idea of fun has lately extended to personal attacks on those who see things differently to you. Not good.

#39 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Your idea of fun has lately extended to personal attacks on those who see things differently to you. Not good.

And this, and some of the above, aren't just much of the same?

Maybe I saw one too many of Max's stuck-record, no-fun, downer posts and should just start to ignore them instead of (o)ever reacting. Good advice - Cheers

#40 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

I hope it's not part of the same. I do actually enjoy most of what you do here and appreciate it when you find something we haven't previously seen.

Over-reaction here is something to be resisted I think. Not that I claim always to be successful on that one but I try.

#41 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

I hope it's not part of the same. I do actually enjoy most of what you do here and appreciate it when you find something we haven't previously seen.

Over-reaction here is something to be resisted I think. Not that I claim always to be successful on that one but I try.

Thanks.

The discourse on this forum is actually pretty good overall compared to many others one could point to. The subject should be fun, since it basically is about entertainment.

#42 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Thanks.

The discourse on this forum is actually pretty good overall compared to many others one could point to. The subject should be fun, since it basically is about entertainment.

i do not find it so entertaining to watch russell suck so much money out of larry and staying on the headed tack for so long.

#43 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

^ You guys are completely wrong if you're suffering under the delusion that I post what TE thinks. Fact is, I don't know much about what he thinks.

Do you honestly expect us to believe that ?

On issues he wants you to promote you surely do, and you're not alone. Like Cup Chat for instance. You argued his position all the way through the thread, yet you never attended an event and had absolutely NO skin in the game. We both know better than this, so don't expect me to believe otherwise.

In fact you even went to the extent to e-mail him about it and posted his response, which I see has since been deleted. Why would you delete the post ? A request perhaps ?

Just for reference, it started of something like "LOL posters complain about not enough and too much local promotion", then went on to list the baseless issues with hosting the event that were apparently insurmountable for that event, but not the prior events.

I don't care either way who you talk to, but to deny it is pretty foolish, certainly in this example.

#44 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

I have attended Cup events that TE has hosted, and have enjoyed them.

I guessed at the reasons behind the recent event's cancellation, for a long time, and turned out to be more or less right. Later I emailed TE, and posted the response here verbatim, and I'm sure it's still right there.

And I have NO skin in this game, no matter what you think.

I will continue to post details of Cupdates as I run across them, because I think others will enjoy attending them too and so may find that info useful; much like the reason I post a lot of links to here, out of fun and a shared sense of 'community.' That's just not going to change any time soon, I enjoy the subject.

#45 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

The planets must be in perfect alignment...I agree. Good comment.

#46 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

I have attended Cup events that TE has hosted, and have enjoyed them.

I've attended them as well, but my comment was about the Cup Chat debate, not Cupdates.

I guessed at the reasons behind the recent event's cancellation, for a long time, and turned out to be more or less right. Later I emailed TE, and posted the response here verbatim, and I'm sure it's still right there.

Ironically, you "guessed" the exact same set of reasons I was told by a certain person the event should not take place, and probably from the exact same source, but this is just a "guess"Posted Image.

And I have NO skin in this game, no matter what you think.

Which I already stated, which still doesn't explain why you continuously argued against the EYC event, being such an ardent AC fan and giving previous CupChat events accolades. Something certainly changed your mind all of the sudden, and it's well known who vehemently opposed the event with reasons that didn't stop the previous CupChats. Sorry, you can't honestly say you didn't know what TE thought about this event, which is the point you're trying to sidestep.

I will continue to post details of Cupdates as I run across them, because I think others will enjoy attending them too and so may find that info useful; much like the reason I post a lot of links to here, out of fun and a shared sense of 'community.' That's just not going to change any time soon, I enjoy the subject.

WTF ? I don't know why you come up with these statements. Where did I suggest you stop posting Cupdates or other links ?

#47 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

I quite frankly don't recall ever arguing ~against~ that other Cupdate happening, just guessed about what the issues were. And I still take no sides in it, even if the issue still is a hot-button for you. Posted and never deleted the only response from TE, to the only question I asked, late in that timeframe, and just left it without even a comment.

I'll leave the "it's all just pure political bullshit" argument to you :)

A schedule I saw some months back suggests a lot more events, including Cupdates, ahead. Yes, in the Bay Area too. Possibly even at EYC.

edit: I posted his FB link above somewhere, it has some info too; think there's one even right now at a YC in Colorado, after two just yesterday.

#48 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

I quite frankly don't recall ever arguing ~against~ that other Cupdate happening, just guessed about what the issues were. And I still take no sides in it, even if the issue still is a hot-button for you. Posted and never deleted the only response from TE, to the only question I asked, late in that timeframe, and just left it without even a comment.

I'll leave the "it's all just pure political bullshit" argument to you :)

A schedule I saw some months back suggests a lot more events, including Cupdates, ahead. Yes, in the Bay Area too. Possibly even at EYC.

edit: I posted his FB link above somewhere, it has some info too; think there's one even right now at a YC in Colorado, after two just yesterday.

Give it a rest for today already, spinray: the more you argue the more you come out reading like a petulant fucktard.

#49 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Lol, have a great day too!

#50 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

i do not find it so entertaining to watch russell suck so much money out of larry and staying on the headed tack for so long.

Bah, I don't trust you, I am sure you have pleasure watching somebody else sink his money.
If you have some basic business knowledge it's even better as you can predict the best possible solutions to waste money:

- organizing first ACWS in non competitors countries
- sink money in failing techno
- transform a possible DSS in a PR fiasco
- sign a deal with a city before knowing the issue of the lawsuit
- save a dime by cutting TV brodcasts when the event is in a competitor venue

Sure you love that..;)

#51 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

Why, because you wake up worried about how a guy worth $40B spends his idle/sailing-money? Why on earth would you care the figure? I hope he spends ~more~.

Bah, I don't trust you, I am sure you have pleasure watching somebody else sink his money.
If you have some basic business knowledge it's even better as you can predict the best possible solutions to waste money:

- organizing first ACWS in non competitors countries
The biggest countries in this are the US and Italy, with two ACWS teams each. Close your eyes and then try hard to guess again where the venues are focussed.

- sink money in failing techno
Failing techno? Point us to anything techno that has been done that isn't first-rate, brand-new, ever, or just drop that stupidity too.

- transform a possible DSS in a PR fiasco
Who, ADM?? get real...

- sign a deal with a city before knowing the issue of the lawsuit
What lawsuit, surely you don't mean ADM again? Peskin already bowed out, that court filing was roadkill too, despite Red Maple Racing's intensity of interest as an interested party alongside all the other no-names on that ridiculous list.

- save a dime by cutting TV brodcasts when the event is in a competitor venue
YT coverage we agree on but: At what point was the TV broadcast cut, instead of getting increased? The trend is Up. A LOT of TV coverage happened for ACWSNapoli, in just the 4th ACWS event.

Sure you love that..;)
What, more loose logic and language in the face of all evidence? Sure. ;) Don't "love that" nonlogic, but what else is there to expect out of you? I forgot, you are a proven AC Deed legal expert too! :P

Keep it coming ;)

#52 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

^^
I like your style of answer SR, you know why ;)

However you are wrong on all facts but one:

- Larry does not like to sink money otherwise ACEA would be able to pay for a copter
- Challenger venue (ok I precise) comes more than a year too late
- don't laugth about ADM, you know it very well. How can Larry sign with SF without knowing the issue. If you had to believe you the case was already dismissed, fact proves the contrary
- OK for TV
- you know that the ANY argument is very unpredictable....

And i don't expect you to agree .:D

#53 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

Oh ! BTW, SR. I mixed on purpose different reasons why Larry is sinking money,

and....we know that different persons are involved.

Go figure....:)

#54 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Well I started this and the ensuing bullshit was not what I had hoped. Does anyone give a fuck about new talent? Volvo doesn't as they no longer sponsor Youth Worlds. When will you AC guys understand that it is not a TV sport and never will be? Any ultralistic attempt by the Rich Cunt, Fat Cunt and Ego Cunt was a smokescreen to make the general public feel better about something the world does not give a flying fuck about

#55 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

Well I started this and the ensuing bullshit was not what I had hoped.

New here?

Does anyone give a fuck about new talent? Volvo doesn't as they no longer sponsor Youth Worlds. When will you AC guys understand that it is not a TV sport and never will be? Any ultralistic attempt by the Rich Cunt, Fat Cunt and Ego Cunt was a smokescreen to make the general public feel better about something the world does not give a flying fuck about

Unfortunately yes.

Even if LE's efforts double or triple the number of AC interested people, it's still so minor that it cannot compete with any other popular sport like NASCAR, F1, football, soccer etc. OTOH, if you believe EB's figures for AC32 then doubling or tripling the TV numbers would mean that probably nobody will go to work or do anything else than watching TV when the AC is on. Likely?

#56 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

What were EB's figures? The best I have ever seen are Gilmours/Lissimans figures out of Monsoon Cup - 450 million and the thieving wankers still run with it

Well I started this and the ensuing bullshit was not what I had hoped.

New here?

Does anyone give a fuck about new talent? Volvo doesn't as they no longer sponsor Youth Worlds. When will you AC guys understand that it is not a TV sport and never will be? Any ultralistic attempt by the Rich Cunt, Fat Cunt and Ego Cunt was a smokescreen to make the general public feel better about something the world does not give a flying fuck about

Unfortunately yes.

Even if LE's efforts double or triple the number of AC interested people, it's still so minor that it cannot compete with any other popular sport like NASCAR, F1, football, soccer etc. OTOH, if you believe EB's figures for AC32 then doubling or tripling the TV numbers would mean that probably nobody will go to work or do anything else than watching TV when the AC is on. Likely?

#57 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

^
I remember that it was said that it was the "third largest sports event" and discussed here at length. Have to dig deep into the archives, but the TV viewer number was impressive. If/When I find the exact number I will let you know, but cannot promise that I will find it.

EDIT: That was easy, see here: http://32nd.americas...idContent=28983

#58 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

And all these wankers "run" our sport.............................

^
I remember that it was said that it was the "third largest sports event" and discussed here at length. Have to dig deep into the archives, but the TV viewer number was impressive. If/When I find the exact number I will let you know, but cannot promise that I will find it.

#59 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

^

Reading you "run" reads like "ru(i)n".

#60 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

Will leave that to the thousands watching this, live Volvo feeds, live WMRT feeds, and sailing in general to comment.......................

^

Reading you it "run" reads like "ru(i)n".

#61 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

from an SButt tweet:

Announcement coming soon on Youth #AmericasCup. Event promises to have nationality clause that's missing from #AC34.

#62 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

^

Well, the claim of 4 billion viewers is obviously creative work with numbers. At the very least, many people are being counted multiple times, and perhaps not necessarily for actually viewing. For example, perhaps they were counted if they were in the footprint of a TV signal carrying the event or subscribed to a service that provided it. Don't know, but surely it cannot have been 4 billion different individuals actually viewing.

#63 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Well, the claim of 4 billion viewers is obviously creative work with numbers.

Not at all. You've just got to open your mind to the fact that the AC is extremely popular with the Big Eyed Beans from Venus and from what I've heard, very soon Larry will be putting Russell on a rocket to Mars to close the deal there too. Remember you heard it here first.

#64 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

^

Well, the claim of 4 billion viewers is obviously creative work with numbers. At the very least, many people are being counted multiple times, and perhaps not necessarily for actually viewing. For example, perhaps they were counted if they were in the footprint of a TV signal carrying the event or subscribed to a service that provided it. Don't know, but surely it cannot have been 4 billion different individuals actually viewing.

You are right, these are probably cumulated numbers, multiplied by 2, 4 or another factor, and the possible reach of the broadcasts added. Something like that, but certainly not the number of eyes that have actually watched.

So, back to reality, even if the real number (however small it is) is doubled by LE's efforts, it will not be able to compete with the real big hitters in popular sports. JMHO.

#65 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

^

You are right, these are probably cumulated numbers, multiplied by 2, 4 or another factor, and the possible reach of the broadcasts added. Something like that, but certainly not the number of eyes that have actually watched.

So, back to reality, even if the real number (however small it is) is doubled by LE's efforts, it will not be able to compete with the real big hitters in popular sports. JMHO.

Maybe they counted my VCR...................................................

#66 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

VSail.info
‏ @vsail

The 4 Oracle AC45's and the Red Bull AC45 are rumored to be the boats for the Youth America's Cup

https://twitter.com/...973763028426752

#67 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

VSail.info
‏ @vsail

The 4 Oracle AC45's and the Red Bull AC45 are rumored to be the boats for the Youth America's Cup

https://twitter.com/vsail/statuses/201973763028426752

What Red Bull 45? And how could two of the oracle boats be used for anything now that they have been chopped up for testing?

#68 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

An AC45, hidden in a tent in Venice, completely branded with the Red Bull logos and James Spithill’s crew sailing with Red Bull helmets point to a deal between the Defender of the 34th America’s Cup and the energy drink company. According to, yet uncofirmed, information, Red Bull will become a sponsor of Oracle USA Team and in exchange will put its branding on a number of AC45 yachts that will be used during the Youth America’s Cup, to be held in San Francisco between the Louis Vuitton Cup and the America’s Cup match.

The AC45 red Bull-branded yacht currently in Venice is believed to be the former Green Comm yacht and, it also believed, the four Oracle Team USA AC45′s will be also rebranded with the energy drink colors once the AC45 circuit is over, a year from now. Finally, a couple of other AC45′s could be added, coming from current challengers that could potentially drop from competition, due to lack of funding, such as China Team.
This is a developping story and we will have more information as soon as possible.

http://www.vsail.inf...ricas-cup-deal/

Me: Red Bull sponsoring also Energy Team? A good team name for the brand...

#69 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

An AC45, hidden in a tent in Venice, completely branded with the Red Bull logos and James Spithill’s crew sailing with Red Bull helmets point to a deal between the Defender of the 34th America’s Cup and the energy drink company. According to, yet uncofirmed, information, Red Bull will become a sponsor of Oracle USA Team and in exchange will put its branding on a number of AC45 yachts that will be used during the Youth America’s Cup, to be held in San Francisco between the Louis Vuitton Cup and the America’s Cup match.

The AC45 red Bull-branded yacht currently in Venice is believed to be the former Green Comm yacht and, it also believed, the four Oracle Team USA AC45′s will be also rebranded with the energy drink colors once the AC45 circuit is over, a year from now. Finally, a couple of other AC45′s could be added, coming from current challengers that could potentially drop from competition, due to lack of funding, such as China Team.
This is a developping story and we will have more information as soon as possible.

http://www.vsail.info/2012/05/14/red-bull-to-announce-americas-cup-deal/

Me: Red Bull sponsoring also Energy Team? A good team name for the brand...

Thanks that all makes sense now especially because red bull likes to sponsor things that could be near death experiences for younger people. Does Coutts have a deal with a vodka company yet so he can sling red bull vodkas?

#70 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

The Red Bull motto is: "It gives you wings"
They have really taken it literally :)

Question is, will Travis Pastrana crew for them? ;)

#71 JWR

JWR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

I would be less shocked to see a Red Bull AC45 in the ACWS with the EXSS crew, and then title sponsorship of the AC Youth Cup?

#72 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

Someone must have seen an AC45 in RB livery in Venice, so something must be up. I believe the original source might be ZG by the tweet timelines and we know by all his videos that Mauro is there.

Yes, Red Bull is a great fit, let's hope the role is as big as what VS is reporting, especially the YS part.

#73 JWR

JWR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

It doesn't make sense that an OR sponsorship would yield a fully liveried boat.

#74 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

It doesn't make sense that an OR sponsorship would yield a fully liveried boat.

The photo at VS does show the RB helmets the ORS crew is wearing; it does suggest RB will be an OR sponsor.

The 'hidden' fully RB-liveried ex-GCR boat was apparently seen too somewhere; my guess is it is in this tent in the foreground, pic below from 20 minutes ago, where LRS also currently is; and may even be visible to the people looking around. Who will actually race it, if anyone? Good question.. maybe just a static display boat? The 5 or 6 boats all in full RB scheme, we may not see until, as VS has it, a YS after ACWS '12-'13 completes.

Posted Image

#75 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Sounds great - a title sponsor was the only way this YS could fly. Team/Nation selection - how will that work now? Buy in?

My guess would be that the secret RB machine is in the maximum security unit at the back! Steel walls and roof 8 feet thick - no garden chairs allowed!

#76 valenciasailing

valenciasailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

If this rumor is confirmed and Red Bull sponsors both the Youth AC and Oracle it would be legitimate to ask the question of independence. ACRM is indeed independent and provides a level playing field and equal rules but how about ACEA? Puma is a sponsor of both ACEA and Oracle.

A team of young Italian sailors will not be able to sail on the Luna Rossa boat, to take an example. Instead they will have to race on the Oracle (or Red Bull) AC45's. What exposure do you give your potential sponsors or partners? None.

The division between ACEA and Oracle is blurred. There are hardly any commercial opportunities for commercially-funded teams, but then again, there isn't any of them.

#77 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

^ Did Luna Rossa offer to sponsor the YS?

I'm just glad if anyone does sponsor it, Red Bull looks like a good fit.

#78 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

If this rumor is confirmed and Red Bull sponsors both the Youth AC and Oracle it would be legitimate to ask the question of independence. ACRM is indeed independent and provides a level playing field and equal rules but how about ACEA? Puma is a sponsor of both ACEA and Oracle.

A team of young Italian sailors will not be able to sail on the Luna Rossa boat, to take an example. Instead they will have to race on the Oracle (or Red Bull) AC45's. What exposure do you give your potential sponsors or partners? None.

The division between ACEA and Oracle is blurred. There are hardly any commercial opportunities for commercially-funded teams, but then again, there isn't any of them.

You have brought several different issues into the same question.

First, the question of independent management. In my view, the only thing that matters is that ACRM is independent from Oracle Racing as it pertains to what happens in the race course. Anyone who knows anything about Iain Murray would know that he'll walk right out the door if someone from Oracle Racing, or ACEA, try to get him to favor any one team over another.

As for sponsor value, unless you have seen the Notice of Race and know something the rest of us don't, I think it is way too early to tell who is going to get what value. I have no idea how the teams in this event will be selected.

I see nothing wrong with ACEA providing the platform for the AC Youth Cup, or whatever it will be called. It's might end up being just like any other regatta where boats are supplied, and maybe Red Bull will be the title sponsor with logo's on all the boats.

Individual teams will then have to derive the value for themselves with their own deals, presumably (hopefully) they will be able to control the majority of logo space on their clothing and personal gear. If all they have to do is show up for the regatta, it should not be hard to get funded.

Would be as interesting to know exactly who gave you the scoop on all this.

#79 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

I think you are trying to apply the AC 'pattern' to the Y.S. which will clearly have to work in a different way. If RB sponsor the whole thing, lock, stock and barrel, all the easier for the teams/nations competing and not having to chase sponsors.

But if additional sponsorship is needed to compete, then clearly there will have to be exposure opportunities for those sponsors - this is surely something ACEA has a grip on by nowPosted Image

As to the comment about no commercial teams - huh!?

#80 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

It is going to be the Red Bull Youth AC or something similar. Check the front page later for more.

#81 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

It is going to be the Red Bull Youth AC or something similar. Check the front page later for more.

Well, they have the spare coin now that they folded their NASCAR teams.

Burger King exec's picked-up the scraps to field the cars this year.

#82 JWR

JWR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

The model I would see - one design boats with the same sponsors, etc supplied by the event organizers.

Still doesn't explain the RB AC45 as you would expect the Youth AC boat to be done up as Youth AC first, Red Bull second. I stand by the idea of a RB team (maybe the youth AC winners or something) in the ACWS...

#83 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

^ They do have an ExSS team again this year, maybe that crew will sail it ~if~ they enter the ACWS and if they don't choose to start out with a young crew. Roman Hagara is helming the X40, think they're 2nd or 3rd in the standings so must be quite good.

edit: 3rd after one Act, 4th season in it.

#84 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

The Defender never promised independent event organisation or management, only independent race management. The Protocol clearly defines that the Event Authority is the agent for GGYC as such is responsible to GGYC, unlike ACRM which is defined as independent.

#85 rob d

rob d

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

What is the age limit for youth in this arena? World Youth events are 19 and under are they not?

#86 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:35 AM

^ We've seen Iain Murray suggest a few possible numbers for upper-age limit but none that young, that I can recall.

If the Red Bull announcement is coming this week then those details may too.

#87 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:47 AM

Someone must have seen an AC45 in RB livery in Venice, so something must be up. I believe the original source might be ZG by the tweet timelines and we know by all his videos that Mauro is there.

Yes, Red Bull is a great fit, let's hope the role is as big as what VS is reporting, especially the YS part.

We got a tip that they were applying RB graphics on the 30th, but lips were sealed and I was busy so didn't follow up. Should have!

RB announcement comes thursday.

#88 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

Thnx

Positive development, could be good fun the way that works out.

#89 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

So we have the brand values of Louis Vuitton. And now, apparently, Red Bull. What next? Ronald MacDonald? The America's Cup, sponsored by Walmart?

What half-wit has come up with this combination?

#90 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

So we have the brand values of Louis Vuitton. And now, apparently, Red Bull. What next? Ronald MacDonald? The America's Cup, sponsored by Walmart?

Maybe we'll see some Youth Cupdates as well.

#91 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

^
Yes hopefully so but does anyone really think it'll be in AC45s with wing sails?

#92 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

Gee did I start this thread? How about blasting ISAF Clean

We got a tip that they were applying RB graphics on the 30th, but lips were sealed and I was busy so didn't follow up. Should have!

#93 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

^
Yes hopefully so but does anyone really think it'll be in AC45s with wing sails?

There are some really good youth multihull sailors out there which would do well in the AC45.
China Team's skipper is only 22 as well: http://www.wakaracin...-robertson.html

#94 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

http://www.vsail.inf...ed-on-thursday/

#95 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

^

There are some really good youth multihull sailors out there which would do well in the AC45.

Agree but when I think Youth I think teenagers or even younger.

#96 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

^

Agree but when I think Youth I think teenagers or even younger.

It has been said that it will be under 23. BUT as the age of the actual ACWS crews has now dropped significantly there may be a revision on that - the sponsor may have had something to say as well. Presumably agreement has been reached.

Valencia Sailing does not make any mention of the 4 OR AC45's - not sure what happened to that aspect of the rumour.

It really has to be winged boats - both to build the noise and to get the Yuff up to speed, they'll be crewing for the next series (if there is one).

#97 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Typically british attitude to commercial developments, isn't it, old boy? Heaven forbid the commoners might get their dirty little fingers involved in sailboat racing.

We should be so lucky to have Wal-Mart or McDonald's in the Cup. We might actually get someone to pay attention that way...

#98 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

Gee did I start this thread? How about blasting ISAF Clean

Why would I blast ISAF today?

#99 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Typically british attitude to commercial developments, isn't it, old boy? Heaven forbid the commoners might get their dirty little fingers involved in sailboat racing.

We should be so lucky to have Wal-Mart or McDonald's in the Cup. We might actually get someone to pay attention that way...

maybe some British ancestry is involved (there is, fucking Brits crossing the channel to do some more fucking :D ) but also here there is a bit of a feeling that the AC is being repositioned from the higher end of the game to the mass commodity end, me thinks poor old George Schuyler must be gyrating like mad in his coffin, the hoi polloi taking hold of the holy grail of sailing :D

#100 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Those bastards from McDonalds better not get their dirty fat fingers on our sailing youth!

Uhoh, too late... :lol:

Posted Image
Posted Image
http://www.rbsc.be/n...tos-en-filmpjes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users