32 replies to this topic

#1 Stingo

Stingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Getting pissed and laid

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

Not being an American, I have a very poor knowledge of the US coastal cruising waters. With this in mind, I am adding a feature to my website where cruising sailors can check the weather. So my US cousins, what are the most important coastal cruising locations in the US and Canada.

Thank you.

#2 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

Not being an American, I have a very poor knowledge of the US coastal cruising waters. With this in mind, I am adding a feature to my website where cruising sailors can check the weather. So my US cousins, what are the most important coastal cruising locations in the US and Canada.

Thank you.

Pacific Northwest of USA and Southwest of British Columbia Canada all the way to Alaska and the waters of Alaska.

#3 Stingo

Stingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

Thanks for that. I was hoping for something more specific, eg popular bays/cities/towns that cruising sailors, not racing snake sailors, drop anchor?

#4 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for that. I was hoping for something more specific, eg popular bays/cities/towns that cruising sailors, not racing snake sailors, drop anchor?

You're going to have to get a little more specific about what areas interest you. I could probably list 200 nice places in BC alone, but I'm not going to make the effort if you're interested in Californication.

#5 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

Don't post this in Sailing Anarchy, there's a really good chance that buying an ad will be suggested.

#6 Stingo

Stingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

I have no idea what areas interest me, because I am not an American and therefore have very little knowledge of the place. So let me rephrase the question:

As a cruising sailor, who is currently cruising in US or Canadian waters, what area do you check the weather for? As an example, I am a cruising sailor that is currently on the south coast of Puerto Rico. Therefore, I check the weather for Salinas.

#7 reis123

reis123

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

I hear the howling sailing winds in song when one says, as we lower our heads, "The Chesapeake Bay", and, Thomas Point, a screw pile of old, has weather mid-bay for all.

#8 Stingo

Stingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

Thank you reis123, had not heard of either place, will add them asap. What states are they in?

#9 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

You're going to have to get a little more specific about what areas interest you. I could probably list 200 nice places in BC alone, but I'm not going to make the effort if you're interested in Californication.

As someone who's run boats from Lake Union to the Bering Sea and back many times (inside passage, usually), I can say there's no need to check the weather--it's ALWAYS raining! That's why I'm a Californian now ;p

#10 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

Yup, slide window open, curl fingers and thumb on hand (either one) uncurl index finger on hand, extend hand out of now open window....retract hand and inspect index finger for moisture.
If dry, make plans for further adventures.
If moisture is observed, dry finger off, retrieve bottle nearest unopened beer, open and consume.

#11 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

Stingo, seriously??? You want a list of the good places to sail and how to check the weather for them?? That would take a tremendous amount of time just to type in.

Just the West coast of the US from the Mexican to the Canadian boarder is about 1,200 miles long. The West coast of Canada from the US state of Washington to the US state of Alaska is about 550 miles, and that's assuming you go in a straight line (an impossibility). Then, the West coast of the US state of Alaska from Canada up to where you really don't want to sail any more is about 650 miles.

That is approximately a distance of 2,400 miles. This is about the same distance as going from Puerto Rico to the Azores over on the way to Spain. In addition it is a change in latitude of 32N to over 60 north. The East coasts of these two countries are even longer.... :blink:

I think you should try to limit the area you're interested in so that someone can respond reasonably to your question.

BV

#12 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

BV's point is right on, but he short-changed my home state of Alaska a little. Both US coasts, and the gulf coast, are huge. Check the length of coastline here: http://www.infopleas...a/A0001801.html

US Pacific Coast: 7623
US Atlantic Coast: 2069
US Gulf Coast: 1631

#13 Stingo

Stingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

From my original post

With this in mind, I am adding a feature to my website where cruising sailors can check the weather.

The weather forecasts are not for me, they are for the likes of you and others that may make use my website.

Just for the record, I have deliberately deleted my signature because I am sure someone will jump up and down as say that all I am doing is trying to get hits on my website and that I am a newbie with no idea about how forums work. Wrong. I am trying to make my website more useful to sailors all over the world. And weather is important to most cruising sailors.

A simple reply is all I ask eg my sailing area is xxxxxx and I will then add xxxxx to my site for the benefit of people that sail that area.

And I will not be adding my signature again until I have posted diversely enough on here to be accepted as a regular and not a spammer.

#14 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

This is probably the best resource I have seen for the US, sadly it doesn't include Canuckistan.

http://l-36.com/map_....59&lon=-123.37

#15 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

+1 on L-36, but I usually just rely on the NOAA forecasts for my local short term sailing around So Cal's Channel Islands.

#16 stickboy

stickboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

From my original post

With this in mind, I am adding a feature to my website where cruising sailors can check the weather.

The weather forecasts are not for me, they are for the likes of you and others that may make use my website.

Just for the record, I have deliberately deleted my signature because I am sure someone will jump up and down as say that all I am doing is trying to get hits on my website and that I am a newbie with no idea about how forums work. Wrong. I am trying to make my website more useful to sailors all over the world. And weather is important to most cruising sailors.

A simple reply is all I ask eg my sailing area is xxxxxx and I will then add xxxxx to my site for the benefit of people that sail that area.

And I will not be adding my signature again until I have posted diversely enough on here to be accepted as a regular and not a spammer.

Stingo, do you realize that this forum is popluated by sailors from every corner of the globe? If you get the responses you ask for, you will simply end up posting weather links for every piece of water in North America big enough to sail on.

#17 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

You want to be taken seriously as someone who's just trying to make a useful resource for cruising sailors... By manually creating a list of links that will certainly go stale more rapidly than they can be maintained. Um, no. You want to do something useful in this specific regard, write a solid tutorial on how to use the NOAA forecast system in US waters and the various models available - it covers everyone in every location and you don't have to keep it updated.

#18 bsainsbury

bsainsbury

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Sail boating

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

NOAA's forecasts are useless.

#19 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

Okay. Sounds like someone doesn't know how to read a forecast.

#20 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

Stingo, I'm sorry but if you dont know enough about US geography to have some idea where the Chesapeake is maybe you should stick to getting "drunk and laid".

Seriously putting stuff on your "website" that you only get 2nd or 3rd hand could be dangerous.

By all means post stuff that you know to be true and stick to that. You dont have a responsibility to inform others that which you know not.

#21 bugger

bugger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

As much as I agree that what you are trying to do is wrong, North American cruising areas include all the Great Lakes, all major rivers and lakes near the Great Lakes, and the St Lawrence River.

The area covered by that is, well, huge.

You might start by looking at a map of North America, and for every bit of water, assume that someone will go sailing on it at some point.

#22 curm

curm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Download Google Earth and in the "layers" section check "weather."

And as an aside, there's a state called "Maine" up in the Northeast with a funky coastline where some people like to sail. You would hardly know it existed from reading through this thread.

#23 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

And as an aside, there's a state called "Maine" up in the Northeast with a funky coastline where some people like to sail. You would hardly know it existed from reading through this thread.

For goodness sakes!

I thought we who sometimes are lucky enough to sail in Maine were keeping it a secret!

#24 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Stingo sounds like the same troll who came by not long ago... wanted everyone to do his work on topics he knew nothing about so he could up the hit count on his website.

Stingo... Where are you really from ? You don't know the geography? Ever seen an Atlas, or Google Earth? You want input on tens of thousands of miles of coastline ? How long is a piece of string?

Sheesh you get some dumb ass posts in here sometimes.

#25 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

I confess I googled his site and glanced for a moment. I found access to current conditions at a beach only 1/4 mile from my California home, in celsius only, but no usefull forecast info. Since I'm not trolling to date-rape any crew, I didn't see much the site could offer me.

I'll stick to my NOAA forecasts

#26 tawgley

tawgley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Thank you.

As others have replied it's a big place ... in addition there are already LOTS of forecast places for us 'cousins' to check ... in addition to NOAA there are five very good ones in my browser links and lots more if needed ... so maybe you will want to refocus on a web site for something else as the forecast area seems pretty well covered .... cheers

#27 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

How about The Wheel - you could always try re-inventing that...

You DO know that there are many detailed weather resources commonly available, updated reliably, for FREE - right ?

#28 Stingo

Stingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

There's just no pleasing some people!

Saying that, thank you to the few of you that answered a simple request to list your sailing area.

#29 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:51 AM

I don't recall asking to be pleased.

I think you're trying to offer a service, and that's nice. But I think the scope is far to great to pull off well. Good luck.

#30 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

There's just no pleasing some people!

Saying that, thank you to the few of you that answered a simple request to list your sailing area.

Glad to help.

#31 stickboy

stickboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

For goodness sakes!

I thought we who sometimes are lucky enough to sail in Maine were keeping it a secret!

Geeze, would you guys shut up already???

#32 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm guessing the great lakes have a little bit of coast you can use too. Wikipedia says somewhere around 10k miles.

#33 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

there are cruising guides published for all the popular locations.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users