8 replies to this topic

#1 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Can the guys who have Zeros talk about the wind range/angles you designed it for and how it's turned out? How big?

Our local PHRF rates Zeros with no penalty, so I'm trying to figure out how to slot one in between the OEM/A2, a A3 and the jib.

Kmag's comments about the J125 downwind inventory in another thread are making me think my 2 kite/2 jib program needs some augmentation...

#2 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

Not sure how your PHRF board works in CT. Don't you have to sail in OD trim if you have a OD rating?

#3 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Skip past the ratings debates and help me look at the sail design? Our PHRF board rates Zeros as kites, and my Zero would be smaller than the One Design limit for our kites. Whether that makes sense or not isn't really my beef to litigate.

#4 Overbored

Overbored

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Flying, Skiing

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

On boats with the blade size jibs the code zero fits between the 1A kite and the jib for close wind angles when you have very light wind. because it is considered a kite it allows you to have an up wind sail that is much bigger then the jib to make the boat move in very light conditions. moving at less than pointing angles is better then pointing higher with the jib and not moving at all. a very big sail with very limited conditions that it can be used. also used when the wind angles to the next mark are a little to high and light for a 1A

#5 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

Ok, maybe I should go back to posting and drinking - I'm probably more clear...

I know what a Zero is, and I really don't want to get into a debate about ratings and one design rules (too many people have pushed us down the rabbit hole before).

What I don't know is how the Zero fits into a sail inventory on a FT10 - what TWS/TWA does it work in? A Zero on a FT10 is not going to be remotely like a Zero on a J109 where the Zero can fly into much more wind because the 109 is comparatively heavy and stiff.

Obviously the Zero will work in TWS under 7 knots, and at higher wind speeds but at bigger angles.

I'm just trying to figure out if the sweet spot is big enough to plug the gap between my A3 and jib and justify the money for the 3 races/year when I need to reach.

#6 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

Charlie,

The Code Zero on the red boat was 100% the best sail to have for whenever it got light and we were doing any sort of sailing with the wind at or forward of the beam. Such a huge benefit compared to the small non overlapping jibs. We won Vineyard 09 and Block 10 because of that sail.

#7 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

I know what a Zero is, and I really don't want to get into a debate about ratings and one design rules (too many people have pushed us down the rabbit hole before).

What I don't know is how the Zero fits into a sail inventory on a FT10 - what TWS/TWA does it work in? A Zero on a FT10 is not going to be remotely like a Zero on a J109 where the Zero can fly into much more wind because the 109 is comparatively heavy and stiff.

Obviously the Zero will work in TWS under 7 knots, and at higher wind speeds but at bigger angles.

I'm just trying to figure out if the sweet spot is big enough to plug the gap between my A3 and jib and justify the money for the 3 races/year when I need to reach.

The sweet spot is big enough and it is worth it. By 8-10 knts the wind needs to be closer to the beam. I use it in really light air and waves out here because we only run with the class kite for PHRF and it is a little heavy and unstable in under 5 kts of breeze when the seas are confused. A 1A would be nice here but the boats are not rated for it and I have no intentions of getting one on. Only other sail I want on the Tiger for SB-KH this year is the class reacher we make. The class runner just gets sucked behind the main when trying to reach and it is not efficient at all. Essentially this could be used as a "1A" in the lighter air too.

You will have the Code 0 for as long as you have the boat and will get your money worth out of it.

#8 Cutter

Cutter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

The sweet spot is big enough and it is worth it. By 8-10 knts the wind needs to be closer to the beam. I use it in really light air and waves out here because we only run with the class kite for PHRF and it is a little heavy and unstable in under 5 kts of breeze when the seas are confused. A 1A would be nice here but the boats are not rated for it and I have no intentions of getting one on. Only other sail I want on the Tiger for SB-KH this year is the class reacher we make. The class runner just gets sucked behind the main when trying to reach and it is not efficient at all. Essentially this could be used as a "1A" in the lighter air too.

You will have the Code 0 for as long as you have the boat and will get your money worth out of it.

There that good we have 2, one that rates IRC and one that doesn't. They are exceptionally versatile.

#9 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

Quite simple.. How high can you sail with the 3A in light air? Ie, How is the 3A designed. A 3A and Code Zero have very similar properties.

An A0 or C0 should be designed for an AWA of 30-100 degrees. Large angle I know but as the AWS increases the angle gets greater. At 100AWA in pressure you know when its too much for the sail. Ie 4 knots of breeze 35 AWA, 14 knots of breeze 85-100 AWA.

To answer your question, Most of the people here probably just have one because their Sailmaker told them so, they use it until they cant. Or in some cases don't use it because they don't know when or how.
Ask you sail maker to draw you up a crossover chart and define your current sail characteristics to him/her. Then you can have the sail to fit your exact inventory.. Or don't, up to you!

That is unless you want a pure upwind Zero/MHG, then it should be designed around bettering your Upwind targets, any reaching benefits are just a bonus!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users