8 replies to this topic

#1 Mauney Motorsports

Mauney Motorsports

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

It's been a long difficult job, have not been so into this since I had never been near one of these boats and there are so many better qualified people who might notice tons of issues.
As with nearly all the boats that end up at my house/shop, no means nothing to an owner. I happen to really like the two (four counting partners) owners currently nearing completion and find it amazing they put up with me.
That said, 7 is nearly done. Not a square inch of this boat has been left untouched, inside and out. Huge keel issues, that kelp cutter groove is a real challenge. Years of hard sailing and some serious deck damage took it's toll.
A bad batch of gelcoat that refused to cure, on both boats here caused a stand still and months to overcome mentally, chuckle! Several gallons of solvent and sandpaper later, the end result is stunning. The Tempest is soon to follow and will drop some jaws.

Here's a link to some shots of the extra coarse nonskid on the deck, don't know how to create albums on Flickr yet, so they are lumped on the Street Machine batch. The lighting kills the phone camera and makes it difficult to take shots that aren't blurry,that and the hours of spraying gelcoat can leave one quite shaky.
I didn't follow the stock skid patterns, made it up as I went, plus added some detail to the hull/deck interface. Did refer to the post regarding do's and don'ts of the M24 to keep it legal. Once the weather has dried a bit I'll drag it outside, unwrap it and post the topside shots. Wouldn't want to be the one staring at this without sunglasses on, the glare is blinding.
One important note: NOT FOR HIRE once Tempest is done, on to "greener" pastures.
http://www.flickr.co...s/30226684@N02/

#2 GH Sailor

GH Sailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

What product did you use for the non skid?

#3 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

It is looking good!!! You have a gift and shouldn't stop!!!

#4 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

It's been a long difficult job, have not been so into this since I had never been near one of these boats and there are so many better qualified people who might notice tons of issues.
As with nearly all the boats that end up at my house/shop, no means nothing to an owner. I happen to really like the two (four counting partners) owners currently nearing completion and find it amazing they put up with me.
That said, 7 is nearly done. Not a square inch of this boat has been left untouched, inside and out. Huge keel issues, that kelp cutter groove is a real challenge. Years of hard sailing and some serious deck damage took it's toll.
A bad batch of gelcoat that refused to cure, on both boats here caused a stand still and months to overcome mentally, chuckle! Several gallons of solvent and sandpaper later, the end result is stunning. The Tempest is soon to follow and will drop some jaws.

Here's a link to some shots of the extra coarse nonskid on the deck, don't know how to create albums on Flickr yet, so they are lumped on the Street Machine batch. The lighting kills the phone camera and makes it difficult to take shots that aren't blurry,that and the hours of spraying gelcoat can leave one quite shaky.
I didn't follow the stock skid patterns, made it up as I went, plus added some detail to the hull/deck interface. Did refer to the post regarding do's and don'ts of the M24 to keep it legal. Once the weather has dried a bit I'll drag it outside, unwrap it and post the topside shots. Wouldn't want to be the one staring at this without sunglasses on, the glare is blinding.
One important note: NOT FOR HIRE once Tempest is done, on to "greener" pastures.
http://www.flickr.co...s/30226684@N02/

crap - how did I miss this?

#5 Mauney Motorsports

Mauney Motorsports

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

• Kevin, I SO desperately tried to get you some shots of 321 for your birthday! Happy 50th btw! She ( I NEVER call a boat she) looks awsome.
  • Don't know how to create folders in Flickr so the entire album is shared.
  • One of the RISD interns is helping with the boat as we work on her carbon guitar.
  • The keel box cover part is very tall because I didn't have know the correct height, easily trimmed down once the keel supports are installed.
  • Will post a shot of the buffed hull later today. Don't want to piss off the other boat's owner(s) but 321 blows that Melges shine away. Covering orange gelcoat with bright white has been challenging. One tiny shadow leads to entire hull recoat more times than I want to admit. I've gotten to know the hull well, having blocked every square inch many many times.
  • Trying like mad to get this endless effort done with plenty of time to rig for the HPDO should you have the desire, parts and time. More than willing to help set it up with you. In any event, it will be there in full finished glory for all to inspect, hence the manic efforts to achieve a decent look.
The second RISD carbon guitar is spectacular, what a great project. We (they) now have possibly the only right and left handed acoustic carbon guitars, and certainly the only guitars made by hand without snipping or wrinkling a single fiber as they wrapped their plugs. Not infused and resin rich, not built from 6" squares, just wonderful hand work, manipulating large pices of carbon around a huge box.. Having worked with these amazing students I feel better about the world, there is promise!

We need to work on a trailer for 321 though Kevin, can deliver current boat and trailer ON my trailer for time being but don't think it's a good idea to trust the current trailer on CT. highways.

#6 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

Chief, I know you do it right. I would rather have it done correctly than done "on time." There is no "on time" to justify a poor product. When you deliver anything its been beautiful - that's why I picked you and trust you on this.. we can discuss rigging. I've got a mast and boom that need some work to get it where I want it to be.

#7 anney

anney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

Having worked with these amazing students I feel better about the world, there is promise!

#8 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

looks great.

#9 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members