• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

A few years back I re-did the cabin sole in this material - Marinedeck 2000. It's an agglomerated cork material 4mm thick and the "seams" are a PVC strip. It looks great and is very tough, but didn't withstand a flooding incident (rainwater).

Now we are looking to replace the flooring, the Marinedeck 2000 is no longer available. The supplier now has "Marinedeck exterior" which is 9mm thick and the seams are caulked conventionally. It seems to me there will be a hell of a lot more labour in caulking, and also the thicker "plank" will be difficult to maintain parallel to the ship's centre-line when the plank is conforming to a rise in the hull (floor isn't flat everywhere).

So, does anyone have, or know of, some Marinedeck 2000 remnants (we need 80 lineal metres)? Or, what else is out there? The floor itself is ply and when we bought the boat it just had indoor/outdoor carpet stuck down with contact glue.

Any ideas gratefully received. This is an insurance repair but practicability is the main issue.

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Location:The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society
  • Interests:recreational gynecology.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

something like this?
http://www.plasteak....-holly-flooring

#3 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

something like this?
http://www.plasteak....-holly-flooring

Excellent - thanks for the link. Freight to Australia could be an issue, but I've sent the link to the shipwright who is quoting on the repairs.

Cheers

#4 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Location:The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society
  • Interests:recreational gynecology.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

ya, may be a bit much. this shit is on the heavy side. nice to work with though and looks good, well good enough.

#5 Mud sailor

Mud sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

and these guys

http://www.flexiteek.com/

and they have Aussie distributors

#6 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

and these guys

http://www.flexiteek.com/

and they have Aussie distributors

Another great link, thanks. I've emailed them.

#7 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:33 AM

Ive had great, light and cheap results with 18mm gaboon lightweight ply. Ive got pics somewhere, but not handy at present, ill try to post later.

Here is how it went

1. Pattern up and cut 18mm ply to the size and shape you require. Ensure the grain is running the right way
2. With a router and guide, buzz shallowish grooves (about 7mm wide, 7mm deap)) where you want the 'holly' looking strips
3. Sand the ply and stain with teak timber stain, or what ever stain matches the finish youre after
4. Seal the ply with about 3-4 coats of epoxy timber sealer, then sand and apply household flooring varnish or whatever is on special at the hardware store to the panels
5. Once dry, run masking tap down each side of the grooves - this bit takes a bit of time.
6. Fill the groove with a coloured sealer/gap-filler from the hardware shop that matches the colour youre after - generally a light brown/beige to give a "holly" look. This is the silicony like stuff in tubes of different colours, get the water soluable stuff
7. Run your finger down the filler to give a nice uniform finish and remove tap
8. Let the sealer/filler set, and taadaa, lightweight, cheap, teak and holly looking floorboards.

Hope that provides food for thought

#8 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

Ive had great, light and cheap results with 18mm gaboon lightweight ply. Ive got pics somewhere, but not handy at present, ill try to post later.

Hope that provides food for thought

Good thinking HM. In this case, the ply floor is there, it's just a surface treatment we're after. When I originally bought the boat it had indoor/outdoor carpet glued down. I put the cork flooring in about 8 or 9 years ago and was very happy with it until recently a deck drain hose became dislodged and the boat was knee-deep in rainwater for 2 weeks! We have to remove the cork and find a new product as that one is no longer available or I'd happily use it again.

As a side issue, the original carpet held water against a steel plate forming the base of the mast compression tube, resulting in rust. I passivated the plate when I redid the floor, but there is some swelling now, indicating the rust is becoming active again. There's no point in creating a nice new floor over the top of something that will need to be removed at some stage, so I'll do it now.

BOAT - Bring Out Another Thousand!

#9 Sideways

Sideways

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

A few years back I re-did the cabin sole in this material - Marinedeck 2000. It's an agglomerated cork material 4mm thick and the "seams" are a PVC strip. It looks great and is very tough, but didn't withstand a flooding incident (rainwater).

Now we are looking to replace the flooring, the Marinedeck 2000 is no longer available. The supplier now has "Marinedeck exterior" which is 9mm thick and the seams are caulked conventionally. It seems to me there will be a hell of a lot more labour in caulking, and also the thicker "plank" will be difficult to maintain parallel to the ship's centre-line when the plank is conforming to a rise in the hull (floor isn't flat everywhere).

So, does anyone have, or know of, some Marinedeck 2000 remnants (we need 80 lineal metres)? Or, what else is out there? The floor itself is ply and when we bought the boat it just had indoor/outdoor carpet stuck down with contact glue.

Any ideas gratefully received. This is an insurance repair but practicability is the main issue.

Thanks

I installed a roll-style laminate called Lonseal. This was partly because of the complexity of my cabin sole (small space w/curves, side cuts, etc.) but more so on price. It looks really nice - if you spend time getting whatever the sub surface is smoothed out. Most people don't notice that it isn't real. It is highly durable and glues on with rubber cement-like adhesive - cuts with a mat knife.

You can get it at Defender: Clicky

Here's how came out:

Attached File  IMG00041-20100511-2023.jpg   571.56K   127 downloads

#10 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks

I installed a roll-style laminate called Lonseal. This was partly because of the complexity of my cabin sole (small space w/curves, side cuts, etc.) but more so on price. It looks really nice - if you spend time getting whatever the sub surface is smoothed out. Most people don't notice that it isn't real. It is highly durable and glues on with rubber cement-like adhesive - cuts with a mat knife.

Here's how came out:

That looks nice.

Is that a seam by the fire extinguisher bracket?

Prop's for the Mardi Gras beads.

#11 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

Here's how came out:

It is nice! The "seam" looks to be a bilge hatch. Nicely done.

We settled on the Plasdeck product from USA, which has now arrived and laying will take place next week. Yesterday the new galvanised compression post base was welded in situ and the floor made good around it. That just needs some fairing and epoxy sealing and the flooring strips can start going on. I'll post photos when it's done.

Incidentally, the flexiteek product is no longer available as DIY - you have to send a pattern and they make it up in the facory in one piece, and send it to you. That wasn't practical in our situation so we went for the Plasdeck. The weight of the Plasdeck is quite hefty as someone pointed out upthread - consequently the freight from USA cost more than the product!

#12 Cavelamb

Cavelamb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

Not to be left out...

http://www.nuteak.co...TeakGallery.htm

#13 ColinG

ColinG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

Attached File  shag.jpg   11.19K   12 downloads :D

#14 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

Now THAT takes me back! Who remembers the 70's? There was a spray application - some sort of electrostatic treatment - where polyester threads were stuck on a surface by one end, forming a 1/2" or so "fur". Tacky as shit - Valiant owners of mediteranean ancestry were for some reason fond of applying it to the roof of their spicmobiles. But the absolute worst was a 40+ foot S&S, brand new, where this electrostatic treatment was applied - in a leopard-skin pattern - to the hull and deckhead. Barf!

Was it Meltemi?

#15 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Grooooveeey, bay-beee!

#16 Sideways

Sideways

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

Thanks

Here's how came out:

That looks nice.

Prop's for the Mardi Gras beads.

That's correct.

There are two long bilge access floor boards right in the middle.

#17 ....Ken

....Ken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:boats ...teak...good beer.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

I make solid teak and hard rock maple t&g flooring. 3/8" x 1-7/8" vg /tg teak with t&g 3/8 x 3/8" maple.
Components only...you lay your own sole.

...Ken / Island Teak

#18 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

I know this doesn't really help, but here's the real deal (teak and 'holly') with a Home Depot variety LPU.

I sanded the sole then applied 3 coats of the stuff in the span of 2 days. It is amazingly durable. Too bad it can't handle any UV or I'd put it on the exterior. I'm hoping to get quite a few years from the stuff, but if I need to I'll just sand down again and recoat. It was one of the easiest jobs I've done.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users