#1 Alysum

Alysum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

Exciting race in prospect, hopefully everyone with finish and get the points

I tip Puma to make it 3 straight wins, particularly if it's mostly downwind :)

#2 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

I'll be in town for the whole show - if you have any questions, interview requests, or whatever, let me know.

#3 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

This will certainly be one of the better legs to watch because any 4 boats could take the leg win.

Is it too early for Groupama to just aim to get as many boats between them and Telefonica? Will Puma just go out and sail their own race and dominate? Will Camper be the bridesmaid again? Will Sanya actually make it to the finish? Will Abu Dubai continue to suck?

I dont know about you but i'm excited just a bit...

#4 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Cannot be left blank

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

I'll be in town for the whole show - if you have any questions, interview requests, or whatever, let me know.

I'd like to know if Groupama have determined the cause of their mast breakage; I doubt they'll share the actual cause but I'd like to know if they've figured it out.

#5 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

sailors view on mutued VO60?

What do the MCM's actually do? I think the likes of Groupama went for someone as experienced as Riou is that they can be a sounding board for the nav to discuss things with. How is the MCM role policed?

What is the actual atmosphere on AbuDhabo actually like (rather than supposition on internet forums...)

Who do telefonica fear most?

#6 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

Any thoughts as to how they will route across? Starting so far south makes it interesting, miles sailed vs. expected breezes and the mid Atlantic high.

#7 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Offshore passages, new landfalls

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Has Telefonica found the reason for the slows in Leg 6? Has it been fixed? Is anyone in their camp talking?

#8 mosailn

mosailn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Location:MI-CT, Toga NY, P'Tree ATL, Boca Grande FL and somewhere in b'tween

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Ok..love the race but feel like its missing something...so here are my thoughts and Q's clean. Innerview away..and damm it go sail with every team unedited, real deal with a GoPro glued to your head. Get Bora's take too!

Technology:
1. Could MCM's use drone technologies to capture off the boat shots? Maybe they could launch from a platform? you know Star Trek like shots?!
2. Does the Puma's plankton reader work?
3. Masts and hulls failing are bound to happen..what new developments(materials) are available to help success and prevent failure?

Format & Participation:
1. To Knut: how about introducing a TP52 like version to the race and bring more entries, drama,youth and maybe team racing/partnering with the70's?
2. How about partnering with the largest online sailing community and yacht clubs to drive participation?
3. Got get more TV time...especially with Kenny, he has become a great personality and Nico is right behind him(Volvo needs to get on TV with the team sponsors!!)
I.e: How can Masarati get more press world wide than Volvo?
4. Why is pro-am limited to one day?
5. If you are going on a world tour shouldn't there be an old Volvo 70's in each port to give joy rides, press time, etc.?

Participation, touch, feel and relevance = Sucess (not just tight racing and drama).

I see a couple of flaws that they didn't build upon from the last race.
1. Need more involvement with the youth and general public(I.e. the hotty from ESPN @ St Maarten, upcoming Red Bull, rock Star...etc.)
-get young producers that shoot the wake boarding, snowboarding and other extreme sports to showcase their perspective on what can see and feel like an old stodgy sport when it's not.
2. How are you going to drive Collaboration with the press and youth sailing?

Good luck, wish I could be there.

#9 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Volvo is actually on tv in the US. The MSG network has a half hour program weekly on the race.

Joe

#10 Liquid

Liquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

I read in the recent Seahorse there was 'talk' of an Open 60 like boat with only 6 crew for the next addition...

#11 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

[I see a couple of flaws that they didn't build upon from the last race.
1. Need more involvement with the youth and general public(I.e. the hotty from ESPN @ St Maarten, upcoming Red Bull, rock Star...etc.)
-get young producers that shoot the wake boarding, snowboarding and other extreme sports to showcase their perspective on what can see and feel like an old stodgy sport when it's not.

No mate!

That model is already driving the AC into a brick wall.

Just stress the fundamentals of the race.

And leave the celebrity shit for Paris Hilton.

#12 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

What do the MCM's actually do? I think the likes of Groupama went for someone as experienced as Riou is that they can be a sounding board for the nav to discuss things with. How is the MCM role policed?

What is the actual atmosphere on AbuDhabo actually like (rather than supposition on internet forums...)

Who do telefonica fear most?

I would love to see how the crew view their skipper's decision (might be pretty hard/risky for them to call Walker out publicly on that) and any crew changes that may be made across the fleet?

HW

#13 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

If you are gonna be in town and want to come out and spectate from on the course side, go here. http://forums.sailin...howtopic=135089

#14 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

3. Got get more TV time...especially with Kenny, he has become a great personality and Nico is right behind him(Volvo needs to get on TV with the team sponsors!!)

Masarati with more world wide press than Volvo?

In what world?

#15 RocNoggin

RocNoggin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Ok..love the race but feel like its missing something...so here are my thoughts and Q's clean. Innerview away..and damm it go sail with every team unedited, real deal with a GoPro glued to your head. Get Bora's take too!

Technology:
1. Could MCM's use drone technologies to capture off the boat shots? Maybe they could launch from a platform? you know Star Trek like shots?!
3. Masts and hulls failing are bound to happen..what new developments(materials) are available to help success and prevent failure?

Format & Participation:
1. To Knut: how about introducing a TP52 like version to the race and bring more entries, drama,youth and maybe team racing/partnering with the70's?
2. How about partnering with the largest online sailing community and yacht clubs to drive participation?
5. If you are going on a world tour shouldn't there be an old Volvo 70's in each port to give joy rides, press time, etc.?

Participation, touch, feel and relevance = Sucess (not just tight racing and drama).

Good Questions! Although I don't see how the "hotty from ESPN" would help. I think it is that kind of sexism that is keeping more women and families out of sailing. She might be some nice eye candy for the blokes but I don't see how she helps to encourage "more involvement with the youth and general puplic."

#16 sail(plane)

sail(plane)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Weta #676

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

Has GROUPAMA found out why their boat was slow in Leg 6?

#17 LoopyGirdleSniffer

LoopyGirdleSniffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

Technology:

Format & Participation:

Good Questions! Although I don't see how the "hotty from ESPN" would help. I think it is that kind of sexism that is keeping more women and families out of sailing. She might be some nice eye candy for the blokes but I don't see how she helps to encourage "more involvement with the youth and general puplic."

That hottie from ESPN was on the boat that I raced on and I think she did a decent job of conveying how much fun she personally had while there on the island. She was clueless but truly interested in trying to figure out parts of it. People like her are the best ambassadors for the sport really. They speak with passion if not necessarly knowledge. I guess part of it is I got to see her in real life interact with real people though so maybe I got to see more of her (Literally) than you did. She is actually a great candidate to help encourage more people to show an interest.

#18 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

Good thoughts. Looks like my boat has been commandeered by the jury - teach Stu to NOT tell them that it is a Contender...

i'll be out there with the official folks on Friday, might jump off after that onto a Marstrom 20 cat.

#19 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

Did anyone else on Facebook enter the competition to go to Miami for 3 days and take part in the Pro-Am race on Abu Shabby?
I can't see anywhere where they have drawn a name and announced it and the Pro-Am race is tomorrow.
Unless I am mistaken, they are pulling a fast one. Clean- fancy getting your hands dirty?

Attached Files

#20 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Ho-hum, a couple of hours ago they announced the winner. The winner happened to have a printed congratulatory card in his hand already but I am sure nothing suspicious going on!
Nice to give the winner 24 hours notice to drop everything and get to Miami.
I'm not jealous of course.

#21 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Did anyone else on Facebook enter the competition to go to Miami for 3 days and take part in the Pro-Am race on Abu Shabby?
I can't see anywhere where they have drawn a name and announced it and the Pro-Am race is tomorrow.
Unless I am mistaken, they are pulling a fast one. Clean- fancy getting your hands dirty?

Irish kid won it. Good for him!

Gulf Stream was flowing between 4-5 kts from the Carolinas north. Teams had better get on that highway for as long as they can!

#22 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Good thoughts. Looks like my boat has been commandeered by the jury - teach Stu to NOT tell them that it is a Contender...

i'll be out there with the official folks on Friday, might jump off after that onto a Marstrom 20 cat.

Alan, if you come across any commercial spectator boat options please let us know. Still looking for a private ride if one is available.
We have three Anarchists from Charlotte Harbor and HHN from DIYC who are looking.

#23 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

I'm on the Umpire boat - will report if possible, but mostly will just enjoy the best seat in the house. Forecast decent, should be a heck of a race.

#24 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,793 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Elle and I are on the Volvo VIP boat. (Thanks Clean). I will be commentating, so checking in will be tough. Perhaps Elle can post some updates....

#25 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Kudos to the VOR guys.

The in-port race is being broadcast LIVE on Fox Sports Florida without Commercial Interruptions!!!

#26 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,793 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Great action, but tough to speak to a boat half full of people who know little and half full of people who know much.

#27 jasenj1

jasenj1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Excellent in port race. I watched the live stream. Great effort by all the teams.

As a weekly racer, it was great to see the big boys doing the same tactics and have the same issues we have on a J30.

#28 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

1337457759[/url]' post='3719977']
Excellent in port race. I watched the live stream. Great effort by all the teams.

As a weekly racer, it was great to see the big boys doing the same tactics and have the same issues we have on a J30.

Yeah, i did have a little chuckle when tele stuffed up the tack and tide , got swept onto the mark and his compeitor went by cheering. All so familiar.
Massive well done by abudhabi for some great sailing. Even though not quickest, smart and agressive tactics won them the race.

#29 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

The "ferry" that screwed Groupama and hindered Abudhabi is the South Beach Lady - an official Volvo spectator boat. Back at the Village it took her master at least 45 minutes to get it tied up. She ended up in front of Sanya and when she left she went forward right at the bow of Sanya and had to apply full emergency power in reverse to miss her. By about 8 feet....

#30 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

The "ferry" that screwed Groupama and hindered Abudhabi is the South Beach Lady - an official Volvo spectator boat. Back at the Village it took her master at least 45 minutes to get it tied up. She ended up in front of Sanya and when she left she went forward right at the bow of Sanya and had to apply full emergency power in reverse to miss her. By about 8 feet....

Don't get us lined-up on that one..............................

Got your number set-up, will touch base in the am when I get close. ETA 8:00 am on site. I am going to duck into one of those parking lots nearby, and hope for the best. Got the video cam, laptop, and the daughters still camera, we'll see what we see.

Go easy tonight, I understand the drinks are on the house.

#31 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

8th avenue lot across from American Airlines Center is where we parked today. Doin' the Grove tonight.

#32 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

Just finished at the Bombay place in the grove - sorry I missed ya mate.

I've been retained to provide commentary for the Volvo Heavy Equipment VIP boat tomorrow. Not as good a seat as the Umpire boat like today, but more drinks...

#33 Bmajor

Bmajor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:38 AM

So did Camper get a green flag for fouling Puma just before the finish? If no green flag (and Camper did no turns) how did Camper finish 4th? Anyone know?

#34 Lostmydetailsagain

Lostmydetailsagain

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

So did Camper get a green flag for fouling Puma just before the finish? If no green flag (and Camper did no turns) how did Camper finish 4th? Anyone know?

yes, green flagged

#35 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

The tracker has been updated.
We now have access to the full 3D version that's used in the daily videos from the Volvo site.
you can load up all the previous legs too.
It's very spiffy.

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Camper didn't foul them, we were umpire boat. Kenny knew it. Didn't matter though - Camper tacked in the worst part of the spectator chop and screeched to a stop. Puma was rolling hard - that last little right jog was a brilliant move.

Interesting thing about Camper is that they forgot to bring their J2, really screwed their first leg and probably cost them 3 points, because they would almost surely have been ahead of Gpama and probably tele at the top mark being the upwind machine that the boat is. They were bow out on the correct side, but with the wrong headsail not a chance. D'oh!

#37 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

#38 punter

punter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Camper didn't foul them, we were umpire boat. Kenny knew it. Didn't matter though - Camper tacked in the worst part of the spectator chop and screeched to a stop. Puma was rolling hard - that last little right jog was a brilliant move.

Interesting thing about Camper is that they forgot to bring their J2, really screwed their first leg and probably cost them 3 points, because they would almost surely have been ahead of Gpama and probably tele at the top mark being the upwind machine that the boat is. They were bow out on the correct side, but with the wrong headsail not a chance. D'oh!

Heads must surely roll to "forget" a sail.

#39 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

No, it was not. The tub that got in the way was the Floridian Princess, a different monstrosity (albeit a very similar one).

#40 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

about 8-9 knots of breeze here from the ENE. amazing little sea ray we're on - jet drives in pods, and a Skyhook system; press a button and it holds station automatically. Fucking perfect for the executives of Volvo Heavy Equipment that I'm commentating for right now.

Hang on - I need to go get some caviar and lobster. BRB.

#41 edelweis

edelweis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Puma stopped?
edit: on again

#42 Pierre S

Pierre S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

It looked on the LiveView as if Telefonica went round the wrong side of the last mark.

#43 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Clean, if you are on with VHE, ask them why they don't build a rubber-track carrier to compete with the POS Morooka.

Oh, and about the VOR, why no stop in Mumbai?

#44 Lostmydetailsagain

Lostmydetailsagain

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

Not sure what is wrong with me but I found this leg start much more interesting to watch than ANY of this new style AC45 "racing"... Even the useless facts about Miami's nicknames and the gulfstream were enjoyable because commentary is enthusiastic and the sailing is real with proper tactical decisions to be made and the relevance to 95% of the sailors who, lets be honest with ourselves are the audience.

Thank you Volvo, thank you.

Now for the leg ahead, I just can't figure out where to go, when to turn right etcetera. I do know what result I would like in Lisbon:

1 - ADOR

2 - Puma by Berg

3 - Camper

4 - Groupama

5 - Telefonica

If only because of some sympathy I have for the guys behind the scenes of the ADOR programme, and I really want the scoreboard even tighter at the top. BRING IT ON!

--edit--
Apologies for the internet shouting...

#45 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Great action, but tough to speak to a boat half full of people who know little and half full of people who know much.

Shit Sol,

The world's smallest violin is playing something tragic!

Tough to drink champagne and caviar on a roiling yacht too, right?

The horror!

#46 edelweis

edelweis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Not sure what is wrong with me but I found this leg start much more interesting to watch than ANY of this new style AC45 "racing"... Even the useless facts about Miami's nicknames and the gulfstream were enjoyable because commentary is enthusiastic and the sailing is real with proper tactical decisions to be made and the relevance to 95% of the sailors who, lets be honest with ourselves are the audience.

Thank you Volvo, thank you.

+1!

Now for the leg ahead, I just can't figure out where to go, when to turn right etcetera. I do know what result I would like in Lisbon:

1 - ADOR

2 - Puma by Berg

3 - Camper

4 - Groupama

5 - Telefonica

If only because of some sympathy I have for the guys behind the scenes of the ADOR programme, and I really want the scoreboard even tighter at the top. BRING IT ON!

d'accord. (as long as Groupama wins overall.. :))

#47 SailBlueH2O

SailBlueH2O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

bet they are glad to leave that dog and pony show of a starting leg behind and get on with the race....

#48 meowmeow

meowmeow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

although I look forward to closely following the VOR race once they get this leg going and get into some real breeze, that start was the most painfully boring thing to watch; those fat-assed monohulls, designed to reach, waddling upwind in 2 knots of air - scintillating it is not.

I much prefered watching the ACWS boats race this morning in no air- maybe because Loick Peyron, le roi de la mer, is too cool to miss in any wind.

But it best is to see either series, VOR or ACWS, in 20 knots plus wind, n'est pas?

Go GROUPAMA!

#49 Panoramix

Panoramix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Groupama seem to not want to repeat the start of last leg.

Go on Groupama, this is your playground, you are going to make it!

#50 Pierre S

Pierre S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Camper seem to be off the pace for some reason.

#51 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

Great to see Groupama in front, I really think they're going to win this thing

#52 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Alberto seems like it may make the N. Fl, Ga, SC, NC segment of the leg fairly interesting. Not enough wind to be very dangerous, but getting best wind plus best current could be a challenge. Looks like lots of windward work ahead and a stuggle to stay in the axis of the stream. Should be a challenge for everybody.

#53 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

Anybody know if it is possible to run 3D tracker on a POS thank god it was free iPad?

#54 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,571 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

how the heck does AbuDoobi do it.....fairly brilliant around the cans again,,,a few hours into the leg ,,and they're already out th'back :blink:

#55 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:30 AM

how the heck does AbuDoobi do it.....fairly brilliant around the cans again,,,a few hours into the leg ,,and they're already out th'back :blink:

Explanation:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=135060&view=findpost&p=3720532

#56 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

Abu Dhabi stayed on port going offshore longer than the rest. The others tacked closer to the beach, and if the breeze going up I-95 is any indicator, the clear skies to the north pulled-in the seabreeze. Puma, being 2nd to last at the final mark tacked early, staying inshore. Looks like it paid-off.

#57 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

nice to meet you AFR

#58 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

Explanation:

http://forums.sailin...dpost&p=3720532

Great interview Clean! Answers a lot of questions we all had. I for one, looking at the boat, it just seems junkier than the rest, especially the very full bow sections and the blister deck, but Ian says they're light, so it has to be other issues such as the smaller foils as he said. They have clearly proven they are a great team who can excel in the in-port stuff, but struggle with speed on most points of sail as Ian said.
Had Farr designed more boats for this regatta, who knows - they may have hit it right on one out of three and would be competitive with the JuanK designs.
It is a numbers game in so many ways, and certainly not an exact science. But JuanK seems to have hit the target more than Farr.
And good talking with you and HHN today, bro!

#59 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:08 AM

Explanation:

http://forums.sailin...dpost&p=3720532

Great interview Clean! Answers a lot of questions we all had. I for one, looking at the boat, it just seems junkier than the rest, especially the very full bow sections and the blister deck, but Ian says they're light, so it has to be other issues such as the smaller foils as he said. They have clearly proven they are a great team who can excel in the in-port stuff, but struggle with speed on most points of sail as Ian said.
Had Farr designed more boats for this regatta, who knows - they may have hit it right on one out of three and would be competitive with the JuanK designs.
It is a numbers game in so many ways, and certainly not an exact science. But JuanK seems to have hit the target more than Farr.
And good talking with you and HHN today, bro!

Good day to see all you guys, we'll have to do it again!

#60 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for that. It's good to see an interview that doesn't start with the premise that the viewer has only a primary school education.
Good questions, good answers.

#61 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

Great to see Groupama in front, I really think they're going to win this thing

Cannot put money against the Frogs for this leg, North Atlantic is home territory for them no matter how you look at it. However, I reckon if it's breeze on running Abu Hamble will be in with a shout...right until Greenhalgh breaks the boat. Personally want to see Puma continue on their upswing. Either way, gonna be a great leg to watch.

Sanya, spat out the back again, was that a metaphor for their whole race getting rolled coming into the second mark by Puma? Damn Sanya's MH-0 looked ugly!

#62 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:A bad day sailing is still better than a good day at work.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

Cut

Thanks for that. It's good to see an interview that doesn't start with the premise that the viewer has only a primary school education.
Good questions, good answers.

+1

Ian Walker is a great interviewee, and impressive that he was able to be so candid and yet not bag out on anyone for their performance problems - very pro.
Well done Clean. Still prefer not to have to look at you, but awesome interview.

#63 Panoramix

Panoramix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for this, it's nice to have in depth interviews aimed at nerds like us!

And yes, I am ready to believe him regarding the boat, it's quite obvious from outside. I hadn't realised that Juan K couldn't design more than 3 boats, under this perspective, his argument for OD is rather convincing.

Did you have a chance to interview others?

#64 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Chances are, unless in the rule, I don't believe there is a limit to boats designed by any one designer, Juan K didn't want to take on more than 3 boats, or Abu Hamble wanted a more exclusive deal from their designer. As Walker mentioned, late to the table...well not that late as they had Puma's original training boat as well as Nick Dana (now their MCM) as their work up boat whilst they built Ka-blam.

#65 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for this, it's nice to have in depth interviews aimed at nerds like us!

And yes, I am ready to believe him regarding the boat, it's quite obvious from outside. I hadn't realised that Juan K couldn't design more than 3 boats, under this perspective, his argument for OD is rather convincing.

Did you have a chance to interview others?

Thank you for the compliments. Truth is that Ian makes it quite easy, he is one of the most likeable and open guys in the fleet.

#66 Carboninit

Carboninit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Abu Hamble are bloody consistent offshore , there going backwards yet a friggin again. Quick inshore round the cans ,crap offshore. Have they got inshore cut sails?Have they got there best geezers up at night driving and trimming? Go Groupama.

#67 Polar_William

Polar_William

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Something wrong with the tracker of with Sanya? Since 9:30 AM UTC they dropped speed, losing ~10 miles.

#68 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Wish i would have had more time in Miami for more interviews, but I am going to make every effort to get to Galway and Lorient. Now that I have joined the hated HD age, my interviews take many, many hours to deal with, but Kenny (12 minutes) is at least as good as Walker. Moose is great too. And Rick Deppe, talking about the MCM program, media tech, and a lot more (28 minutes, holy crap) is probably my favorite. Got young Rome Kirby too - a great kid and certainly a future shining star like his pop. Also a treat - Anson Mulder, who I've only partially tongue-in-cheek called the "Best 40' Cruiser/Racer Tactician in The World" next to the Puma bar on his ridiculous performance in the Caribbean this year. All good stuff, I'll put 'em all here but we'll run one a day on the front page all week.

Thanks for watching - send the link 'round to your friends if you likey.

#69 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Good interesting interview Clean.

#70 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Great interview and very open answers. The AD boat looked like it had legs here, in light breeze, but appears that once the breeze comes on the others take-off and AD just lags. Not sure why foils would hurt there, but she is pretty full forward and beam w/l aft is narrower than the others, so hull shape seems to be a factor here.

Juan K probably did not have more resources to throw at another program. Three boats would take quite a few folks on the job, along with whatever other work they had going.

With the short work-up time for design, Farr might have said 'hey, I've got this neat concept I've toyed with' and the AD boat is it. Looked good on the computer screen but not on the water.

Looking at their speeds this morning I sure wish we had some of this breeze yesterday. It got to be 'chicken bone stuck in the throat' slow at times yesterday, especially when they were bucking the north running current coming to the last mark before heading off-shore. It will be interesting to see who makes the jump from the low to the high, to stay in the best wind lane in the transition.

#71 harzak

harzak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

Groupama going east (covering Puma), while letting Telefonica and Camper split north. It's going to be very interesting to see the distances when TF and Camper escape the current and go east.

Also, I would be very greatful if someone would do routing predictions including Gulf current if possible.

EDIT: Seems nobody's following Groupama east, everybody else continues north. Feels like a risky move by Cammas & co.

#72 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

A bit disappointing, nothing we did not know already. Mostly just lobbing him a bunch of softballs and letting him off the hook on the tough issues. Ian does not need this kind of kid-glove treatment - he is a great guy and intense competitor. But that did not come through in the interview at all - instead it basically was just a platform for him to sweet-talk his sponsor and pass the buck.

Hope the other interviews have more substance.

#73 tamaozy

tamaozy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

All the gulfstream imagery I found has too much cloud to see where it is at. I cant understand why Camper and Tele are heading to the west side of the Low system. Surely the current isnt going to counter breeze on the nose (maybe Camper) I also cant imagine that a hitch to the east is going to take Groupama out of the current. Anyone have a decent pic of the stream as it stands today.

#74 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Looks like Alberto has enough punch to stir the pot. Steady wind against the stream could well build awesome square waves. It usually gets rather nasty when the wind is against the stream. I suspect that going east could be a pretty good idea, as the surface current is likely to be somewhat disrupted on the western side of the system.

Posted Image

#75 tamaozy

tamaozy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

Looks like Alberto has enough punch to stir the pot. Steady wind against the stream could well build awesome square waves. It usually gets rather nasty when the wind is against the stream. I suspect that going east could be a pretty good idea, as the surface current is likely to be somewhat disrupted on the western side of the system.

Posted Image

Thanks. I am really looking forward to see how this seeming little difference plays out. Only 20miles but could mean an early jump out for Groupama.

#76 harzak

harzak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

All the gulfstream imagery I found has too much cloud to see where it is at. I cant understand why Camper and Tele are heading to the west side of the Low system. Surely the current isnt going to counter breeze on the nose (maybe Camper) I also cant imagine that a hitch to the east is going to take Groupama out of the current. Anyone have a decent pic of the stream as it stands today.

Posted Image

#77 josselin

josselin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Groupama split to the east...
nobody follows... gamble or genius?

:blink:

Go Groupama!

#78 Panoramix

Panoramix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Go Groupama!

We will see, I am not entirely sure that I understand what's happening. I think that they've decided that the wind is more important than the Gulf stream and they want to position themselves ahead of the low to have cleaner seas.

#79 tacksea

tacksea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Go Groupama!

We will see, I am not entirely sure that I understand what's happening. I think that they've decided that the wind is more important than the Gulf stream and they want to position themselves ahead of the low to have cleaner seas.

It looks like where they were the G stream was about 2 knots, so yes I think they decided to gamble ( with some geniousity ) going East.

#80 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

A bit disappointing, nothing we did not know already. Mostly just lobbing him a bunch of softballs and letting him off the hook on the tough issues. Ian does not need this kind of kid-glove treatment - he is a great guy and intense competitor. But that did not come through in the interview at all - instead it basically was just a platform for him to sweet-talk his sponsor and pass the buck.

Sorry, really should mentioned some of the positives, too: HD is nice, sound quality is good (first time for an SA video?), and Clean does not appear to be chewing gum.

#81 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

21 hours and there's 42nm of separation - I didn't see anyone predicting that.
I think Puma look good in the middle at the moment. Good navigation has been a feature of their recent good form.
Camper look confused.

#82 Carboninit

Carboninit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

Go Groupama!

They know what they are doing. Hook up on the bottom of the system,then onto the next system. They are brilliant at this.It will be good to watch it unfold . The French have the best weather system in the World and offshore sailors.

#83 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

Go Groupama!

They know what they are doing. Hook up on the bottom of the system,then onto the next system. They are brilliant at this.It will be good to watch it unfold . The French have the best weather system in the World and offshore sailors.

The French have the best weather prediction model you mean?
Did you forget leg 1? It didn't work really well then...

#84 roca

roca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Explanation:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=135060&view=findpost&p=3720532

nice interview, some content about boat speed etc. is interesting
I personally believe that all this complaining about boatspeed is not very true, I think they had some bad luck, some damages and then disappointment, bad navigation and sum of mistakes under pressure, bad mood and motivation onboard. If you check the tracker in leg 2, 3 , 4 etc. they do not loose much when on same tack, same wind, drag racing.
And we all know that people do not win 3 in port races with the slowest boat.

Clean, was it your choice or his not to talk about the big guys apparently bullying him on the boat (or at least supposed crew problems onboard)?

ps. He seemed very stressed, reminded me of Dom in "There's Something About Mary"

#85 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Always Candid, Groupama explains their option in their latest press release:

L'important semble en effet de gagner au maximum dans l'Est pour se rapprocher de l'anticyclone des Açores qui va être compressé par « Alberto ». Or cette dépression tropicale se déplace à plus de 25 nœuds vers le Nord-Nord Est et les VO-70 ne sont pas assez rapides pour suivre sa trajectoire. Il leur faut donc attraper la « queue », c'est à dire le front associé qui s'incurvera obliquement sur l'Atlantique. Les prochaines 24h sont donc capitales pour se placer favorablement par rapport à ce phénomène véloce car les leaders d'alors auront de meilleures conditions de navigation : vent plus stable, mer plus organisée, ciel moins chargé.

What they really want to do is go east to catch the next weather system as quickly as possible, which is going to be tricky, as Alberto is moving too fast to NNW for the VOR to stay with it all the way.

#86 josselin

josselin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

The French have the best weather system in the World and offshore sailors.

but we are known to be very arrogant too :( so i prefer to ask when I do not undertstand. And yes the 1st leg was a severe set back!

For sure the atlantic is a bit the kindergarten of the french offshore sailors whatever the boat : mini/AG2R/ transquadra/route du rhum/ route du café/route du chocolat and all those race are Europe->Americas but the meteo system are quite well known.

#87 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

Getting Ian to call the boat a dog and outright support a 1d does not seem soft ball to me, but some of the people, some of the time, and all that. Least I could do was let him talk nice after talking shit ya know? 12 minutes all he had time for though, well see what u think of others. I like em and am usually my own worst critic

#88 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Getting Ian to call the boat a dog and outright support a 1d does not seem soft ball to me, but some of the people, some of the time, and all that. Least I could do was let him talk nice after talking shit ya know? 12 minutes all he had time for though, well see what u think of others. I like em and am usually my own worst critic

I agree, there was no soft ball. Asking him as you did why his boat was so slow offshore was the most interesting question you could ask. Well done, and great interview, with a good qulity sound, which is always a good bonus!

#89 tamaozy

tamaozy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

anyone else having troubles with some log in crap for the tracker. Never needed it before.???

Now it comes up every time it refreshes. pissin me offf.

#90 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

He had already publicly called the boat a dog before, so that was nothing new. And blaming the boat/designer is pretty much the only thing he can do at this point, other than taking responsibility himself - blaming bad luck (which would actually be quite legitimate - there is a huge element of chance in this) is not going to fly with casual observers (and sponsors!) and he cannot really blame it on his hand-picked crew either (possibly even more so in light of the crew changes, etc.).

Couple of areas that you could have explored:
  • It would have been nice to dig into the crew dynamics and reported crew issues. Note: I am not shit-stirring here, if anything the opposite - possibly could have countered some of the bullshit floating around (the couple of people I am close to on the team (or at least close enough to get the straight dope) are actually quite happy).
  • Also would have been great to get him to speak about the Southern Ocean repairs, the seamanship involved in this, etc. Would have given him another chance to praise the team and their work.
No need to be nice to him, he is a tough guy - I speak from experience.

Finally, at maybe most importantly, he is definitely not an outright supporter of OD - not in this video (his support is heavily qualified) and not in other statements/conversations.

Anyway, looking forward to the other videos.

#91 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,571 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

..aww give clean a break-it's the first time someone's been willing t'talk to him in ages! <_<

#92 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,571 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Sorry, really should mentioned some of the positives, too: HD is nice, sound quality is good (first time for an SA video?), and Clean does not appear to be chewing gum.

..he had t'walk to the interview :lol:

#93 Jammen

Jammen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

Looks like everyone but G4 and pump screwd up their compasses...

#94 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,571 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Always Candid, Groupama explains their option in their latest press release:
What they really want to do is go east to catch the next weather system as quickly as possible, which is going to be tricky, as Alberto is moving too fast to NNW for the VOR to stay with it all the way.

..could be magic or tragic,,though methinks it's probably time that the dice-roll works in their favor.
........I'm kinda hoping the favor goes west,,just to bring the points closer :)

#95 Vorwaerts

Vorwaerts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Wow what a sched. Abu and Sanya are going backwards. Camper and Tele lost 17 miles to Puma. The two front boats (Puma and G4) are going at speed in the right direction but have 40 Nm separation. Depending on the speed of Alberto eighter G4 is going to hit very light winds or Puma will end up on tight angles.

Edit: Looking at the replay of the tracker, you cant help but think that Addis is a genius. He just managed to escape the centre of the low whereas the rest of the fleet got right in the eye of it. G4 bailed much earlier I guess they think the low is moving fast towards the NE.

#96 harzak

harzak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Looking at the data for the last 3 hours, Telefonica has Speed Over Water listed as 17.4, and SOG listed as 13.9.

3.5 knots of current against for three hours? Something wrong with the numbers?

#97 rackham

rackham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Looking at the data for the last 3 hours, Telefonica has Speed Over Water listed as 17.4, and SOG listed as 13.9.

3.5 knots of current against for three hours? Something wrong with the numbers?

because they and the others except g4 went too far, they have to comme back against current to escape the centre of alberto

#98 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,571 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Wow what a sched. Abu and Sanya are going backwards. Camper and Tele lost 17 miles to Puma. The two front boats (Puma and G4) are going at speed in the right direction but have 40 Nm separation. Depending on the speed of Alberto eighter G4 is going to hit very light winds or Puma will end up on tight angles.

Edit: Looking at the replay of the tracker, you cant help but think that Addis is a genius. He just managed to escape the centre of the low whereas the rest of the fleet got right in the eye of it. G4 bailed much earlier I guess they think the low is moving fast towards the NE.

..that's just nutz!..things looked like a reasonably organized line-up east/west at 1400,,and by 1530 groupon and pooma have cleared out with the 4 others squirreling around literally in circles!...what a dramatic change :blink:
...a jump of 37miles between leader and 5th :o

..this just became a VERY interesting race :)

#99 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

Just by looking a the tracks, it seems obvious we have two winning choices, G4 and Puma, and a few losers left behind ! :)

Posted Image

#100 bbr

bbr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

Go Groupama!

The French have the best weather prediction model you mean?
Did you forget leg 1? It didn't work really well then...

All the boats are given the exact same weather data to use... no more, no less... Nobody has an advantage with the weather models they use...

How they use the data is another story...

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users