9 replies to this topic

#1 ConorMD

ConorMD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hey guys,
How come there are no clips of the dismastings we have seen in the Volvo?
I understand it is a taboo subject for the sailors but surely the major event of a dismasting was recorded?
Conor

#2 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

After fucking off and posting pics of your wifes tits, Go to the livestream site, look up the boat feeds from legs past and you'll have them...

#3 tamaozy

tamaozy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

I was wondering that as well. I seem to remember someone the other day said that they are recording 4 min of footage constantly from the fixed camera at the rear. Just push a button and it is saved. Would have thought it had come out wider if it was out there. USA190520 I saw the aftermath shots but no actual coming down. Are you saying it is out there and we need to look harder.

#4 Beachcomber

Beachcomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

No footage of Tele breaking their rudders on Leg 8, either. Allegedly, they broke one in a broach or Chinese gybe...

#5 dumper

dumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

i had a look on livestream for pumas break but there is a video of it

#6 aquila

aquila

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Sailing - what did you expect?

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

if my pvr can record the last 59 minutes of whatever at the puch of a button i don't understant why they didn't just carry a bigger heavier hard drive to record these

#7 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

More recorded time means more weight right???:P

#8 aquila

aquila

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Sailing - what did you expect?

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

well just in terms of an extra kg or so for a bigger harddrive

#9 Beachcomber

Beachcomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

I think they only had a 4 minute buffer of footage. So there are two possibilities: when these calamities struck, the MCMs were either too preoccupied to stop recording and download the footage, or they simply didn't want to release the video. Since the MCM are team members, and not independent journos, they may have kept the video to themselves to avoid passing on potentially useful technical information to other teams, or to avoid bad publicity.

That raises another point. In the debate of the VOR going one-design, lots of people have said no sponsor wants to be associated with a losing team. Clearly that's not the case. The last pro team in any race in any sport still has sponsors. The last team in any professional league still has sponsors. The truth is, as Donald Trump said, there's no such thing as bad publicity. The biggest benefit of advertising or sponsorship is simply getting your name out there. So, if teams want to maximize returns for their sponsors, they shouldn't care about bad publicity, but should just go for publicity. That would include any striking footage, including the rig coming down.

#10 Francis Vaughan

Francis Vaughan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

My understanding of the 4 minute buffer is that it is activated by the helmsman. It saves the previous 4 minutes of video. This means that when something interesting or dramatic has happened, it can be preserved. If the mast comes down I really don't expect the helmsman to be thinking, "Wow the a mast is falling. I better wait here until it is all over so I can hit the button to capture the event."

We had some pretty dramatic pictures once things had sort of stabilised - guys jumping into the water to cut things free. And later, the forlorn image of a shattered stump with trisail jury rigged.

There is a difference between bad luck and a losing team. Even a winning team can have bad things happen. Groupama lost a mast and still won, Puma came second. Images of triumph under duress are great publicity. Being the team that comes last every race, or is simply not competitive, is very different. That is why the VOD65 is considered a good thing. It means that the boat ceases to be a factor in how competitive the team is, and thus the sponsor is not hit with outspending the other teams on a boat, only to discover that their team can't mix it with the others, has no chance of winning, and is the subject of constant derision from the peanut gallery. Sponsors calculate value in terms of media exposure. In a car race the sponsors sit with stop watches timing how long their logo is on screen. In print media they will count up the number pictures with their logo present. The leading teams will always do better at this calculation. If your team is seeking sponsorship you are pitching a package that will provide media coverage for the sponsor. They won't be happy if this coverage is at the low end because you never win a race, or worse, can't win a race.

Years ago in the AC trials, one of the Australian boats cracked in half and sank in moments. The final image was the Sun Microsystems logo on the bow sliding into the water. A picture that was used around the planet. A mate of mine worked for Sun, and proudly told me that it was him that got the logo there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users