USCG NorCal "Stand-Down" over..... or is it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:11 AM

The Stand-Down maybe over but the standing over us like children being watched isn't.

1*- Enhanced training of sailors in seamanship and piloting, including understanding of wave development in shoaling waters and safe distance off a lee shore

Enchance training? What training? The current Safety @ Sea seminars don't cover piloting, wave development, etc. Are we going to have to take courses and tests to race now? I'm cringing..... how the hell will they come to a consensus of what consitutes a "safe distance"? No more 1 boatlength off Seal Rocks to get around the corner and such in an adverse current, no matter the conditions.

2 - Once-a-season training seminars in appropriate safety gear and mandatory skippers' meeting for offshore races.

Once a season skippers meeting is OK I guess but what if you can't make that single date? No racing for you that season. I certainly hope they don't mean mandatory skipper meetings for every race. That will certainly be the deathnail for ocean racing. The SSS has skippers meetings before every race but that is elective and a really good thing for newer members but mandatory? Not good.

3 - Assurance of compliance with existing Minimum Equipment Requirements, including post-race inspections.

How are they going to "assure compliance" since we already agree to meet the minimum safety requirements? Boat inspection like the PacCup/SHTP? How are the organizations going to handle that? Plus what about a single race entry anytime in the season? This sounds like that would go out the window as an option in the future. For instance right now you can enter a race on Wednesday, send in your crew list Thursday, race Saturday...... that will also be a thing of the past.

4 - Improved race management, including accountability for boats on the course, crew members' information, compliance with Coast Guard Marine Event Permit conditions, and improved communication with sailors and Coast Guard.

Well the SSS already meets these requirements with "accountability", i.e. check in/out. *We already do all of this for the OYRA except the check in/out.

5 - Consistency of protocol and requirements for all Bay Area offshore races.

So the SSS will have to have the same requirements as the OYRA? Great, so two anchors, MOM etc. for solo racing now too!

I see many of these as greatly hurting participation at a minimum in the already multi-decade decline in offshore racing participation in Northern California.

Also, is the ENITRE COUNTRY going to have to meet these same requlations to race or are we being singled out once again?

We already race in known windy/rough waters. I think the overall level of competicy and preparations has to be among the highest in the country. Consider earthquake prep and damage. Since we have more earthquakes here our buildings and people are more prepared to deal with moderate to strong events but in other areas of the country and world when even a small/mid tremmor hits there is a much great likelyhood of damage, injury, loss of life.

As BobJ, I and other have warned for the past few years..... give then an inch and they take a mile. We've all just take a ride down the slipery slode with no stairs back up I'm afraid.

Will carnage and death still happen in ocean racing? Yes. You can't regulate it away. This used to be a free and self-policing sport but that is no more.

"Accidents" or whatever you want to call loss of life on the ocean is a GOOD THING for the rest of us. This may sound callous but it is those tragic events that help us realize that the potential for a tragic outcome is all around us and to be prepared and diligent.

#2 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

Agree, this like the bullshit TWIC card which just restricts access, imposes costs that private firms mulct, collects needless private information, and does little to improve the problem they allegedly address. I fail to see how wearing a harness saved anyone at the Farrallones or Coronado island. Bureaucratic kneejerk reaction to "do soemthing".

#3 Total Slacker

Total Slacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:58 AM

"How dare you be responsible for yourself? Clearly you can't be trusted to live your life, so we will regulate it. By force"

This will only result in fewer boats on the water.

"Nice boat you have there. It would be a shame if you actually used it."

#4 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

Unless and until people stand up against the government than this is our future.

In NY you won't even be able to get a Big Gulp at 7-11 - cause it will make you fat ya know.

The general population, whom I will refer to as "sheeple", are quite happy to have the gov't regulate the sheeple's health and well being.

A few rugged, individualistic segments of the population (sailors amongst them) must be brought in to line with the will of the sheeple, who actually have no will beyond that which is imposed on them.

This will continue to grow until we elect leaders that no longer allow that to happen.

THAT is a rather more complicated question I don't have the answer too.

(Honey, did you hear that? I said I didn't know something)

#5 Darrel J

Darrel J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Who is John Galt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users