79 replies to this topic

#1 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

The Card broke of its mooring at Sth Molle and ended up on the reef at the top of Armit Island in the Whitsundays.A sad end for a boat with a very interesting if checkered past.

As a side note she was owned by the same scumbag Craig Ross who let Annaconda go on the rocks a couple of years ago.

Had some great sails on the old girl and left quite a few brain cells on her too RIP old girl.

I'm sure there will be some pics soon.:(

#2 wal'

wal'

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

Spectator boat didn't "get too close" The Card sailed through the spectator fleet - too close to a moored spectator boat

#3 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Was in the '89-90 Whitbread as a Swedish entry I think. Ted Turner owned it at one stage. Lost the mizzen when a spectator boat got too close just after the start in NZ. Sistership to the NZ boat that won the Whitbread. (name escapes me for the moment.) Did the Hobart in '99 I think as Nokia. Farr maxi.
Had fun sailing it up here. Sad to see it go.

Did the 98 Hobart as Nokia. One of my fondest memories is passing it on Inkeeper at warp speed right on the edge. We broach 3 times within eye view and I swear they changed course at one stage to give us a bit of a birth. You haven't broached a boat until you have done it at 20knots!!
Difference in that race was they finished and we didn't.
Sad to see a big boat go that way.

#4 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Attached File  013.JPG   285.29K   3507 downloads

Hey Jonny remember this day?You are on the left,back to camera,craig ross on right of mizzen with cap on.Me in blue leaning on mizzen boom.Nearly lost a leg that day as I recall.But we won and got smashed.Missed the next weeks work with serious rope burns that I still have the scars from.One of my favorite maxi's.

#5 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

Was in the '89-90 Whitbread as a Swedish entry I think. Ted Turner owned it at one stage. Lost the mizzen when a spectator boat got too close just after the start in NZ. Sistership to the NZ boat that won the Whitbread. (name escapes me for the moment.) Did the Hobart in '99 I think as Nokia. Farr maxi.

Steinlager 2 was the boat that won.

While Steinlager 2 (Blake), Fisher & Paykel (Dalton) and The Card (Nilson) were all Maxi Ketches out of the Farr office they were all different in hull design, length and rig.

#6 Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

Deleted post JS ????

Had a look at her on her mooring at S Molle about 6-7 weeks ago and she looked pretty neglected then. Didn't look like she'd been used in a while.

#7 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Did the 98 Hobart as Nokia. One of my fondest memories is passing it on Inkeeper at warp speed right on the edge. We broach 3 times within eye view and I swear they changed course at one stage to give us a bit of a birth. You haven't broached a boat until you have done it at 20knots!!

Mates that took the boat down to Sydney and on to Hobart reckon there was more "blow" on the engine box then there ever was on deck.

#8 steveromagnino

steveromagnino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Spectator boat didn't "get too close" The Card sailed through the spectator fleet - too close to a moored spectator boat

As the entire auckland harbour is pretty much moving at a rapid pace tracking the whitbread boats after the start, I would say there was, at that time, not such a thing as a path away from spectator boats, for all competitors it was pretty much a case of sailing along straight through the spectator fleet.

We were about 200m from The Card when it hooked the rig of that other boat, I don't recall many people being anchored but maybe that was one of the few boats that was.

I do recall a stink boat nearly running right up the stern of the boat I was on later that day, the good old days when people got hammered then jumped into their boats to watch the whitbread ;-)

Good times.

#9 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

As the entire auckland harbour is pretty much moving at a rapid pace tracking the whitbread boats after the start, I would say there was, at that time, not such a thing as a path away from spectator boats, for all competitors it was pretty much a case of sailing along straight through the spectator fleet.

We were about 200m from The Card when it hooked the rig of that other boat, I don't recall many people being anchored but maybe that was one of the few boats that was.

I do recall a stink boat nearly running right up the stern of the boat I was on later that day, the good old days when people got hammered then jumped into their boats to watch the whitbread ;-)

Good times.

Start at 36:30 for the Auckland departure. It is in Swedish but 'fuck, fuck' sounds the same no matter what language is spoken.

#10 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Mates that took the boat down to Sydney and on to Hobart reckon there was more "blow" on the engine box then there ever was on deck.

That I would believe, our crew boss jumped ship 10 days out from the start to get onto the programme. Nice guy use to work for Ansett but was trying to get a paid ride, I think he succeeded for a bit and still gets around boats in Sydney.
He was never going to get a dollar out of the owner of Inkeeper.

#11 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Good times.

Start at 36:30 for the Auckland departure. It is in Swedish but 'fuck, fuck' sounds the same no matter what language is spoken.

That was not to be the last time she lost the mizzen.Capt Feather sword on Solway Lass got a bit close once and forgot he had square's, took it off in a water fight in Cid Harbour.

#12 Friggin' in the Riggin'

Friggin' in the Riggin'

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Too bad. Did the Vinyard race on her as "Marina" in '97 maybe? A drifter for the most part but coming through The Race at the eastern end of Long Island Sound on a 5 sail reach through a fleet of fishing boats with 6 foot plus standing waves from the ebb tide is a nice memory.

#13 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hope the prick wasn't insured as all it does is increaser the premiums for those that are professional about their business, not cowboys that leave their boats on a mooring knowing a hurricane is about to hit

#14 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

The Card broke of its mooring at Sth Molle and ended up on the reef at the top of Armit Island in the Whitsundays.A sad end for a boat with a very interesting if checkered past.

As a side note she was owned by the same scumbag Craig Ross who let Annaconda go on the rocks a couple of years ago.

Had some great sails on the old girl and left quite a few brain cells on her too RIP old girl.

I'm sure there will be some pics soon.:(

Interesting this is the way a classic old boat ends its life.

As an aside:

Two old men were sitting on a park bench in a retirement community one day. The second one says to the first, "So how did you make your money?"

The first one says, "I had a factory for many years but it burned down and now I am retired in luxury, living off the insurance payment."

The second one says, "Funny I had a similar thing happen. I owned a factory for many years but it was destroyed by a flood and now I am retired off the insurance money from my loss."

The men sit for a few minutes and then the first one turns to the second and says, "So how do you start a flood?"

#15 Former MDR Vandal 1

Former MDR Vandal 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

While Steinlager 2 (Blake), Fisher & Paykel (Dalton) and The Card (Nilson) were all Maxi Ketches out of the Farr office they were all different in hull design, length and rig.

With the loss of The Card there are now 4 Farr designed Whitbread Maxi Ketches left -- two from the 89 - 90 Race (Steinlager 2 and Fisher & Paykel) and two from the 93 - 94 race (La Poste and New Zealand Endeavour). I am under the impression that Merit Cup, Pierre Fehlman’s 93 - 94 boat was destroyed by a fire some time ago. (I don’t know for sure but seem to vauguely remember at one point Fehlman’s 89 sloop, Merit, was converted into a ketch as a test bed / trial horse.)

I believe The Card started out as a Skip Novak project, but he couldn’t get enough funding so Nilsson and Olsson stepped in. After the race she became Challenge America and was campaigned by Teddy Turner (Ted Turner, Jr.).

#16 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:26 AM

The shorts on the guy on the right of the screen are very very wrong.

#17 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:21 AM

^^^

Aren't tight colored shorts still de rigueur for Aussie Rules? :P

#18 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

^^^

Aren't tight colored shorts still de rigueur for Aussie Rules? :P

He is a Swede on an American boat in NZ.

#19 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

More foreigner BS that no one cares about?

#20 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

I like giving blow jobs.

#21 Right Coast

Right Coast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

She was a pretty cool ride in her day.

Attached Files

#22 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

Maxi Sailing - The Card

Posted Image3 Full days Sailing on a World Class Maxi Racing Yacht 2 night Tropical Island Stay

Departure: 9am TUESDAY, FRIDAY
Return: 4pm THURSDAY, SUNDAY

Destination: Whitsundays, Airlie Beach – Great Barrier Reef – South Molle Island

$399.00 package price + $60.00 Admin, Marine Park, Stinger Suit & Snorkel Hire $459.00

Posted Image

Sail the best of the Whitsunday Islands and Coral Reefs aboard 'The Card', an 83ft high powered Whitbread around the World Racing Yacht. 'The Card' was designed by Bruce Farr, the premier yacht designer.

The Card takes you on a Whitsunday Island Adventure you will never forget. Spend three unforgettable days cruising the Whitsunday Islands with the highly experienced crew of this race winning legend and two magical nights on stunning South Molle Island in Koala Adventure Resort. The flexible itinerary includes the jewel of the Whitsundays magnificent Whitehaven Beach, Wilderness anchorages, uninhabited beaches and the best snorkelling locations.

Includes:

• Hearty Chef prepared meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
  • Snorkelling equipment and tuition (it is our policy not to supply flippers due to possible coral damage however they can be hired for approximately $15 from the dive shop at Abel Point Marina.
  • Accommodation on Koala Adventure Resort (4-6 share Resort Rooms, Air-conditioned, ensuite bathroom). Guests can upgrade to private/ Twin accommodation for $65 per person.
  • Fresh Sheets supplied (you can hire bath towels and blankets from Reception)
  • Full use of Resort facilities and services: 9 Hole Golf Course, Freshwater Pool, Outdoor Waterfall Spa , Tennis Courts , Take a bushwalk through our National Park with over 16 km of well signed walking tracks to one of the lookouts boasting spectacular views , Stroll along the beach at sunset , Enjoy pre-dinner cocktails at the Discovery Bar, Tour Desk, Reception, Internet, Beachfront Bar.
Alcohol and Drinks:

• BYO Alcohol on the boat only – No glass or Red wine permitted as it stains the boat deck. Soft drinks and water are available for purchase on board the boat. Prices of alcohol at Koala Adventure Resort are reasonably priced at the bars which cater for those on the Pride of Airlie Sailing Trip.
Posted ImageItinerary:
Call Central Reservations 48 hours prior to your arrival to confirm booking details.

• Make your way to Abel Point Marina by 08:30am on the day of departure and meet Koala Crew at Marina roundabout.
  • Sail to Koala Adventure Resort on South Molle Island
  • Includes a visit to famous Whitehaven Beach, Guided Bushwalks to the highest rated walking tracks in the Whitsundays, helpful & knowledgeable crew to take you to the best snorkelling destinations around the Whitsunday Islands.
  • Evening entertainment and theme parties
  • Overnight Accommodation 4-6 Share Resort Room
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ABOVE ITINERARY IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE DUE TO TIDAL AND WEATHER CONDITIONS AND IN CONJUNCTION WITH OUR BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

$399.00 (+$60Admin, Marine Fees, snorkel hire) $459.00 (Seasonal and Standby Rates Apply)

For Bookings or enquiries call: 1800 466 444

#23 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

Whitbread Round the World Race 1985 - 1998

A selection of pictures from the various Whitbreads Rick Tomlinson was involved with from from 1985 - 1998. Rick Tomlinson raced onboard Drum, The Card, Intrum Justitia and Team EF.
Please
Email Rick for more information and high res images.

Previous Next 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Posted Image

WCD90 1667

Whitbread 89/90 The Card

Photo Rick Tomlinson

#24 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

See the main?Posted Image

#25 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Maybe it's time for another "Occupy" campaign - against DoRag.

Thanks for that link Driftwood. Some good Card pics - a boat I spent a lot of time on it in the Whitsundays.

#26 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

Posted Image

Hey landt licker check out the sail number.

#27 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

visions of the old beast on the slipway next to the CYCA in '98 while she was being sheathed in Nokia blue. Witty strutting about the place and Andrew telling the world how they were going to rock it. Lines on the way to Hobart?? dunno about that. most of the crew were below deck throwing lines in the bilge from all reports. Mungrel was man of the match and don't you forget it. Only a handful on deck and shorty driving for days is the way it's retold.

funny how it goes....many were in the "never again" bin after that. tough few days they say

#28 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

visions of the old beast on the slipway next to the CYCA in '98 while she was being sheathed in Nokia blue. Witty strutting about the place and Andrew telling the world how they were going to rock it. Lines on the way to Hobart?? dunno about that. most of the crew were below deck throwing lines in the bilge from all reports. Mungrel was man of the match and don't you forget it. Only a handful on deck and shorty driving for days is the way it's retold.

funny how it goes....many were in the "never again" bin after that. tough few days they say

Was a big couple of days that year but! They were 3 boats ahead of us i think!

#29 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:10 AM

Was a big couple of days that year but! They were 3 boats ahead of us i think!

good onya...as said above. they had issues....it isn't a pretty story that but i've heard it over and over. that may be a surprise to some but not to all.

tell ya...it was facking hard to listen to the whole shitfight go down while going the other way in a warm 15 kts 3/4 reaching. I'll never forget it. very strange and sad. totally surreal

#30 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

learned to sail on this boat, was unreal to start off that way.......what good fun.

#31 Wacka Elvis

Wacka Elvis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

^^^^^^^^

if there is a thread, how can no one care cunt?

#32 FOP

FOP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, skiing & cars

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

Is there any photos of what she looks like after the damage, did she sink or is she on the reef Posted Image

#33 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Is there any photos of what she looks like after the damage, did she sink or is she on the reef Posted Image

Went up on a reef but it blew 20-30 for quite a few days and at last report the sticks were down.

#34 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Posted Image

Hey landt licker check out the sail number.

.. explaining why there there was a world sticky-back shortage in the late 90's.

#35 Hoff27

Hoff27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:wind, water

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

what a shame, i always hoped to have a sail on her.

#36 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Posted ImageSalvageing what's left.

#37 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

Posted Image

Just to keep it all together.They towed her in on Sunday.Thats what a couple oh months with No 1 sandpaper does.No coming back from this.

#38 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

Wow - that is a sad sight. Even the bed bugs would be dead.

#39 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Interests:racing multis

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Attached File  011_4_1.JPG   141.08K   124 downloads

Attached File  013_3_1_1.JPG   170.01K   181 downloads

Attached File  017_2_1_1.JPG   147.9K   287 downloads

Attached File  026_1_1_1.JPG   139.91K   258 downloads

They are going back for the masts and keel when the weather comes good .

#40 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

All is not lost, just drag it up on the shore and turn it into a bar,
like the Windward Passage 2 hull mould was in Newcastle, (now port Macquarie??)

#41 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Posted Image

Just to keep it all together.They towed her in on Sunday.Thats what a couple oh months with No 1 sandpaper does.No coming back from this.

Not sure that'll buff out

#42 Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Why it take so long to tow her back ?

#43 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Can someone explain the history/significance of the boat's name, "The Card"?

Was is related to the original owner, as in, "He was a real card!"? Or something else?

#44 Dale dug a hole

Dale dug a hole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Digging holes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

I'd have to guess you don't know much about insurance. Or an owner that doesn't give a shit...

#45 knucklehead

knucklehead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Was is related to the original owner, as in, "He was a real card!"? Or something else?

MasterCard was a part sponsor for the Whitbread campaign. She was originally commissioned by Skip Novak; when he failed to secure sponsorship to cover his own campaign, he moved on to Fazisi and "The Card" completed the 89/90 Whitbread as a Swedish entry, skippered by Roger Nilson.

#46 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

The owner is the type of person who makes getting blood out of a stone a viable option.It took a long time to organise anything and then the weather turned to crap big time.

#47 Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thanks auscat. I made a small claim a year ago for some mast damage. Took about a week to settle the claim. Mind you, they were immersed in a game of pickup sticks with port hinchinbrook at the time .

#48 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

can still be used as a half model ? B)

#49 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

Posted Image

This is what she was sitting on.Not very forgiving as a lee shore in 25-30 knts for a few weeks.

#50 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Turn it into a bar for backpackers

#51 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Isn't that what it's been already for the past few years?

#52 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

MasterCard was a part sponsor for the Whitbread campaign. She was originally commissioned by Skip Novak; when he failed to secure sponsorship to cover his own campaign, he moved on to Fazisi and "The Card" completed the 89/90 Whitbread as a Swedish entry, skippered by Roger Nilson.

Thanks knucklehead.

#53 aquila

aquila

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Sailing - what did you expect?

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

what a prick he should be fined, atleast for however much he had it insured for so he makes no money out of it, thats a problem with queensland it all owners self surveying, compared to the rest of australia its cowboy country. and our governments need to use some of the laws we already have about neglected boats on neglected moorings where if they're not properly maintained the vessel and mooring are put up to auction. what a shame and what a loss, all 6 of farr maxi ketches were awesome.

#54 Face

Face

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

She was a pretty cool ride in her day.

Amazing picture, when you think of it. Low light, high ISO (or ASA in them days)and a moving boat. Rick Tomlinson has made a name for himself eversince.

#55 Face

Face

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Most famous image of The Card - Auckland re-start:

http://youtu.be/Ob2lr4xIsd4?t=1h9m18s

#56 Mud sailor

Mud sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Thanks knucklehead.

She was also different in that she was designed as a sloop, and when Farr came up with the Steinlager configuration they added the mizzen. Was nowhere near as optimized as the other ketches for IOR (especially length)

#57 Hoff27

Hoff27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:wind, water

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

[/quote]
[/quote]

already was a backpackerbar, so easy to transform, and less maintenance.
Just leave it on the beach. call it an ´amazing experience shipwreck bar´

organize wet tshirt competition when wheater is bad, and topless happy hours when sun is out!

still a bloody shame though

#58 LakeBoy

LakeBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:24 AM

Clean out the fuel and oils, tow her back out and make a nice dive reef.

#59 Conny71

Conny71

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

All 6 Farr ketches were awsome? Maybe a handful, and rule beaters with only half the mizzen sail area being counted, but when Yamaha went screaming on by, that had a little more feel like awsome, and V 70's might move into the realm of awsome.

#60 Flotsam Oz

Flotsam Oz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

Thats what happens when Rats are allowed to own boats.

Bloody shame, the harder it blew the easier it was to drive. Farr obviously had a design brief that included good control.

#61 Silvester

Silvester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

beautiful 1/2 model for any shop that has n 80' long wall

#62 PCP777

PCP777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Too damned bad. Lots of history with this boat.

#63 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

Sad ending to this boat. While it had a few shortcomings I have had some good times on her. RIP

#64 strop

strop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

With the loss of The Card there are now 4 Farr designed Whitbread Maxi Ketches left -- two from the 89 - 90 Race (Steinlager 2 and Fisher & Paykel) and two from the 93 - 94 race (La Poste and New Zealand Endeavour). I am under the impression that Merit Cup, Pierre Fehlman's 93 - 94 boat was destroyed by a fire some time ago. (I don't know for sure but seem to vauguely remember at one point Fehlman's 89 sloop, Merit, was converted into a ketch as a test bed / trial horse.)

I believe The Card started out as a Skip Novak project, but he couldn't get enough funding so Nilsson and Olsson stepped in. After the race she became Challenge America and was campaigned by Teddy Turner (Ted Turner, Jr.).

There is a merit sitting in Palma De Mallorca. What one is that???

#65 Across the Pond

Across the Pond

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

With the loss of The Card there are now 4 Farr designed Whitbread Maxi Ketches left -- two from the 89 - 90 Race (Steinlager 2 and Fisher & Paykel) and two from the 93 - 94 race (La Poste and New Zealand Endeavour). I am under the impression that Merit Cup, Pierre Fehlman's 93 - 94 boat was destroyed by a fire some time ago. (I don't know for sure but seem to vauguely remember at one point Fehlman's 89 sloop, Merit, was converted into a ketch as a test bed / trial horse.)

I believe The Card started out as a Skip Novak project, but he couldn't get enough funding so Nilsson and Olsson stepped in. After the race she became Challenge America and was campaigned by Teddy Turner (Ted Turner, Jr.).

There is a merit sitting in Palma De Mallorca. What one is that???

MDR is spot on so that's the 1989 boat you would have seen. The 1993 Merit was detroyed in a boatyard fire some years ago.

#66 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

Thats what happens when Rats are allowed to own boats.

Bloody shame, the harder it blew the easier it was to drive. Farr obviously had a design brief that included good control.

Calling Craig Ross a rat is like calling swine flu a runny nose.At best he is an oxygen thief.

#67 2XD

2XD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

he sounds like a great match for our nicole

#68 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Couldn't think of a better matched pair.:wacko:

#69 2XD

2XD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Couldn't think of a better matched pair.:wacko:

i agree, how do we make that happen

#70 stranded

stranded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:cruising, racing, inshore and offshore

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

does he own a rib ?

#71 2XD

2XD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

he seems to have cash, recent insurance claim to come, looks like an idea candidate, any medical problems?

#72 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

he seems to have cash, recent insurance claim to come, looks like an idea candidate, any medical problems?

Yeh,he's still breathing.

#73 2XD

2XD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Yeh,he's still breathing.

ha ha, not for long if we can get this hook up sorted

#74 Anti-idiots

Anti-idiots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

The card was the race after Steinlarger 2. THere were only 2 ketches in that race - S2 and Ficsher&Pakel. The boat that be The Card was NZ Endeavour with Dalts skippering

#75 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,511 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

The card was the race after Steinlarger 2. THere were only 2 ketches in that race - S2 and Ficsher&Pakel. The boat that be The Card was NZ Endeavour with Dalts skippering

Idiot, do some research before reviving one of your old socks

Pos Boat Nat Skipper LOA/Des Aggregate
1 Steinlager 2 New Zealand Peter Blake (NZ) 84' Ketch 128 d 9 h
2 Fisher & Paykel NZ New Zealand Grant Dalton (NZ) 82' Ketch 129 d 21 h
3 Merit Switzerland Pierre Fehlmann (F) 80' Sloop 130 d 10 h
4 Rothmans United Kingdom Lawrie Smith (GB) 80' Sloop 131 d 4 h
5 The Card Sweden Roger Nilson / Ann Lippens (S) 80' Ketch 135 d 7 h
11 Fazisi Soviet Union Alexi Grischenko / Skip Novak / Valeri Alekseyev 83' Sloop 139 d
18 Maiden United Kingdom Tracy Edwards (GB) 58' Sloop 167 d 3 h
21 La Poste France Daniel Mallé (F) 51' Sloop 181 d 22 h

1989–90 Whitbread Round the World Race

#76 Former MDR Vandal 1

Former MDR Vandal 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

So wrong it is funny, Pro-Idiot.

And fucking spell Gary's company's name correctly -- he paid a lot of money to put it on that boat.

#77 thebucko

thebucko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:anything above 20kts...wind speed or boat speed!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

I did the 1998 Sydney to Hobart on her (blew up 6 kites on the first night!) and the 4000 miles of deliveries up and down the east coast of Australia for the corporate work for Nokia... was covered in blue contact as for the charter she had to be nokia blue and amongst the 28 crew that raced her even had Sir Thomas Davies 83 years old ex prime minister of the Cook Islands (the sail number for the race was COK1 ! ) and the late Andrew Short... i'd like to say she will be missed but she was not in good condition when we dragged her out of the maxi grave yard in 1998 for that race and worse when she crossed the finish line ... so another 14 years later in the sun running backpackers would not have helped ... let her be remembered in her hay day....
Bucko

#78 2XD

2XD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

I did the 1998 Sydney to Hobart on her (blew up 6 kites on the first night!) and the 4000 miles of deliveries up and down the east coast of Australia for the corporate work for Nokia... was covered in blue contact as for the charter she had to be nokia blue and amongst the 28 crew that raced her even had Sir Thomas Davies 83 years old ex prime minister of the Cook Islands (the sail number for the race was COK1 ! ) and the late Andrew Short... i'd like to say she will be missed but she was not in good condition when we dragged her out of the maxi grave yard in 1998 for that race and worse when she crossed the finish line ... so another 14 years later in the sun running backpackers would not have helped ... let her be remembered in her hay day....
Bucko

onya bucko

#79 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

Bucko

Bucko aren't you busy entertaining wealthy and good looking guests? Have you got time to be on Anarchy?

And having met your missus, can I please be the first to say.... "welcome newbie, please show us pics of your wife's/girlfriend's/sister's tits."

:-D

#80 marmalade

marmalade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

Posted ImageUntitled, on Flickr
I had a lot of fun sailing her on the Chesapeake Bay when she was part of the St. Mary's College fleet.
I believe this photos was taken during the 1990 or 91 Fall Race to Oxford. The majority of the crew learned to sail on her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users