9 replies to this topic

#1 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,153 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

I want to know if I need a Simrad AC12 for the TP32 tiller pilot. You clearly need an AC12 if you have a below decks DD15 for power. But does the AC12 provide anything that the TP32 uses?

There is no information on the Simrad site for the AC12 other than mounting. The TP32 manual is a little old. It doesn't show any configurations with the AP24 and none with the AC12.

#2 Zonker

Zonker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

You can interface these tiler pilots to a Simrad network (see the description on Simrad's website) but you don't have to. They work just fine stand alone. You interface if you want to use wind data or external compass inputs.

Read the fine manual, starting at page 20.

http://www.simrad-ya...lots/Downloads/

#3 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,153 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

thanks Zonk,

the SimRad manuals really are generally pretty good except where they leave off. And I do like the IS20s, Wind, ....

The TP32 manual, figure 5-9 shows the TP32 connected to an AP25 (I know, not an AP24) and no AC12.

Since there is no manual for the AC12, my guess is that the AC12 *isn't* necessary and that it only controls/drives its directly connected autopilot. Specifically, it doesn't send any PGNs onto the N2K bus.

#4 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,153 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

So I got a note back from Navico Support:

We've never tested the TP32 with the AP 24 and AC12. The Simnet version from the older products was very primitive, and I'm not sure what information will pass to and from the AP24. I wouldn't recommend the interface as it HASN'T been tested.

Wow.

#5 Pukka

Pukka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for posting that. Saved me waiting on a reply from Simrad.

#6 cbm

cbm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

We've never tested the TP32 with the AP 24 and AC12. The Simnet version from the older products was very primitive, and I'm not sure what information will pass to and from the AP24. I wouldn't recommend the interface as it HASN'T been tested.

Wow.

this is not correct, there is a newer version of the Tp32 software that works fine with the Ap 24. take a look at this thread on the myhanse.com forum, there are a few people there who already have this setup either in testing or in use.

http://www.myhanse.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6500&title=autopilot-upgrade-from-simrad-wp32

#7 cbm

cbm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

Wow.

this is not correct, there is a newer version of the Tp32 software that works fine with the Ap 24. take a look at this thread on the myhanse.com forum, there are a few people there who already have this setup either in testing or in use.

http://www.myhanse.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6500&title=autopilot-upgrade-from-simrad-wp32

also this is in the manual...see page 18 of this attachment..

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root/TillerPilots/TP10-22-32_OM_EN_988-10413-002_w.pdf

#8 Pukka

Pukka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Anybody have a comparative between a TP32 using its internal fluxgate & TP32 with new SW & external rate compass?
Is the new SW any smarter in terms of seastate?

I am slowing accumulating N2K stuff.
I have a maretron SSC200 & GPS200 (heading sensor/GPS), is it resonable to expect to connect to the TP32, via N2K to simnet adaptor?
I'm into the agent as soon as they open from hols so will post results back FYI.

#9 Pukka

Pukka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Technical Bulletin
No. ESTB1204 / 21st February 2012
New Tillerpilot Versions
Product: TP10, TP22, TP32
Software Version: 1.1.00.04
Effective Date: Jan 2012

Dear Colleague,
Simrad-Yachting are pleased to announce new versions of the Simrad Tillerpilot range. These products are direct replacements to the existing versions with upgraded internal components and updated software. Part numbers remain the same.
The following changes in operation and functionality should be noted:
 New Tillerpilots now incorporate an updated adaptive steering algorithm (adopted from AC12 Autopilot computer).
Older tillerpilot product operated with a fixed rudder turn algorithm.

 In Standby mode, if the user presses port/starboard keys to manually move the tiller/rod, the appropriate red or green LED light will simply remain solid while the button is held versus the old flashing LED operation described in the manual.
 Gain adjust has become Response control, which incorporates adjustment of Rudder (Gain), Counter rudder and Seastate (dead band).
 The Seastate filter (dead band) option has been changed to a simple On/Off toggle versus the previous 9 levels described in the manual. In calibration mode, the seastate filter is “ON” if there is one beep/flash and “OFF” if there are two beeps or flashes. When set to “ON”, Seastate adjustment is part of above described Response control. (High Response setting gives small dead band and vice versa.)
 TP22 and TP32 now reports more information to the SimNet/NMEA2000 network:
- Heading/Heading Reference
- Course to Steer
- Commanded Rudder Angle
- Rudder Angle
Providing appropriate input data, will also output:
- True wind speed/angle
- Wind direction
- Bearing to waypoint,

Technical Bulletin

ESTB1214 10th Oct
TP10/22/32 Tillerpilot Software Revision
I am pleased to inform you that Simrad TP10/22/32 Tillerpilots are now shipping with updated software version 1.1.02.00.
Power consumption has been optimised and the steering algorithm has been refined after extensive sea-trials.
For TP22 and 32 units in the field, the software update SWUP file is available to download from www.simrad-yachting.com and can be loaded onto units by using the ST10 tool, or via a Networked MFD.
TP10 units should be returned via your distributor for re-programming due to the absence of a Simnet interface.
Minor changes to the user interface have now been documented in the updated user manual which is available to download from www.simrad-yachting.com

#10 Pukka

Pukka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

FWIW, from the horses mouth;
The TP32 does not use ROT correction in its steering.
The TP32 will set an external heading source as priority when connected, The Tillerpilot is configured for System mode by default but you can confirm this by pressing and holding the TACK and Stbd arrow key and then power on, the Tillerpilot will beep and the LED’s will light briefly to confirm. If you connect one of our IS40, AP24,AP28 or MFD’s then you will have further control over the information sources in the N2K source selection menus.
The NMEA0183 input is for Wind and Nav data only it will not use an external source of HDG/HDT/HDM

All very understandable if you take the manual literally.

An interesting bit of work done by a german sailor/engineer, in fact gob-smackingly superb!
Bcalm- XP

dWatch the whole series & his wind vane upgrade. ( if that gear ticks your box.)

The programming of the Kalman filter is pretty trick. Wonder when the big boys will include this on their bottom end units?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users