#1 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

I could have created this in SA, but the fact is that everyone that I know that sails on Superior posts more here anyway. For a while mostly Memo and myself, but with Sons moving up and Solen and Kestrel piping in here a lot more, seems like we need a place to call our own. Its cold, deep, and sometimes downright unwelcoming. Its also filled with almost unimaginable beauty. It might just be a lake, but its a BIG one. They don't call it Superior for nuttin.

Posted Image

#2 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

I always figured it would have something of a complex. I mean, here it is, part of the "Great" lakes, and it just gets called "Superior"...

#3 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

It's the 'Superior' Great Lake ;)

I have a chart of this in my cube. I guess if they could have flown befor naming it, they might have called it 'Wof's Head Lake'. But that doesn't sound as cool as Superior.

I haven't been ON Lake Superior much (as in just twice on one of the Duluth sightseeing boats), but I'd rank the drive up hwy 61 as one of the most beautiful in the country. And it's WILDERNESS. As wild as some of those remote areas of PNW. Our friends at GOB spend their summers up in Thunder Bay.

#4 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

JD that's a pretty long stretch from the apostles to the keweenaw, any easy overnight spots along there? From there down the marquette isn't bad. You've got a few harbours, the huron islands, and big bay before marquette. Looks like a long trip :)

#5 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

JD that's a pretty long stretch from the apostles to the keweenaw, any easy overnight spots along there? From there down the marquette isn't bad. You've got a few harbours, the huron islands, and big bay before marquette. Looks like a long trip :)

There are are few if you want to shore-hop... Black River Harbor, Ontonagon to name a few. Sadly most are out of play for Kestrel due to draft unless we are simply hiding from weather. From Bayfield to the Upper Keweenaw Entry breakwall is a rhumb-line of 100nm. Our trick is to head up to the S end of Outer Island, have dinner, a nap, and depending of weather leave for the Keweenaw some time between 10PM and 3AM. Its 85NM that way.

#6 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

I haven't been ON Lake Superior much (as in just twice on one of the Duluth sightseeing boats), but I'd rank the drive up hwy 61 as one of the most beautiful in the country. And it's WILDERNESS. As wild as some of those remote areas of PNW. Our friends at GOB spend their summers up in Thunder Bay.

Agreed. And the closer you get to Ely, the better it is.

I spent a week of every summer in the BWCA as a kid, and a couple of months working at a resort up there on Moose Lake. It's absolutely beautiful. But, I do have to say - BC beats northern Minnesota and the US side of the PNW hands down, no contest.

#7 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Agreed. And the closer you get to Ely, the better it is.

I spent a week of every summer in the BWCA as a kid, and a couple of months working at a resort up there on Moose Lake. It's absolutely beautiful. But, I do have to say - BC beats northern Minnesota and the US side of the PNW hands down, no contest.

Sadly if you are driving to Ely, you turn inland at Two Harbors. Twenty Miles before you would have hit this.
Posted Image

#8 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

It is an injustice to call the Great Lakes "lakes"...these are seas...no more, no less.

Anyone who sails the Great Lakes doesn't need the taste of salt water to know they are capable sailors. These can be truly savage bodies of water,

#9 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Looks incredibly beautiful and clean out there!

Was recently asked to apply for a very splashy job in Chicago (that's somewhere near Lake Superior, right?), but I'm worried about the long, savage, winters (and actually having to work).

#10 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

I gotta get up there!

#11 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

I gotta get up there!

+1

My boat was originally from Lake Michigan. I couldn't believe the condition of the hardware and metal parts especially- that steady fresh water rinse is nice.

#12 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

I'm from Michigan, and as a small boy spent a few vacations up in the UP. Lake Superior is freaking cold. As a little kid I would swim in it until I turned blue - but that only took a few minutes.

#13 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, tweaking, fixing, sailing.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

We'll have to do something, buddy boating, raft up, harbor hopping, barhopping, surfing - but just so you know Solen is not fast enough for water skiing - I tried adjusting the knot log but I can't get much over 12kt.

And yes it is still cold, the water is about 40 degrees right now (think Bering Sea) so it is best to stay on the boat. (NOAA buoy center here: http://www.ndbc.noaa...ps/WestGL.shtml )

I was just up, and when the wind was off the lake it was a cold - the wind quickly drops to something closer to the water temperature - so wind direction is everything.

What I find remarkable about the Apostles is how you are sitting on the border between land climate and lake climate - storms will come and go literally left and right depending on how far out in the lake/islands you are.

There should be enough room on Solen for a Committee meeting - any splinter groups can meet at Fish Lips (it is an Anarchy, right?)

#14 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

Standing invitation to those of you that venture in to marquette for a beer and a sail, and then more beer.

#15 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Standing invitation to those of you that venture in to marquette for a beer and a sail, and then more beer.

Memo,
We're got plans to go at least as far east has Houghton. We'll hang there with some friends, and some of our crew are members of the MTU sailing team so we might just for fun drive Kestrel thru a 420 race. ;^) We are looking to time it so we can be there for the Houghton - Bayfield race (Aug 9). How knows, maybe we'll skip down to L'anse. Or Pequaming. Or Big Bay. Or....

#16 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

What I find remarkable about the Apostles is how you are sitting on the border between land climate and lake climate - storms will come and go literally left and right depending on how far out in the lake/islands you are.

How true.

The thunderstoems can be impressive. And even cooler looking when there are building. The day of our mid-distance race last weekend, NOAA had called for one in the late afternoon. And they just 'appear'. And it did, as we were debriefing and drinking in the cockpit.

Posted Image

No rain or lightshow for us, Still too early. This is what it looked like a few hours later; built up into a real doozy.

Posted Image

#17 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

Trying the Houghton - Bayfield race could be as good a reason as any to go to Houghton (the music festival might be better but thats too late) - in particular if other Anachists stopped in - they have an excellent local Brewery there and you can get food too. I do not have racing grade sails so I doubt I would be competetive but that should not matter - I ought to get there the same day anyway.

I have been contemplating the Lake Superior Solo Scramble Sept 10 depending on how far I get with my projects, a couple friends did it 2 years ago. Since I have problems with sleep Aphnea it would be a fun run within a reasonable amount of time for staying awake and alert (unlike the Trans Superior) - and a good way to see if I want to bother with a crewed Trans Superior some day. http://www.solosailo...ramble-2010.php

Jackdaw are you sticking to the full race schedule including the July drifting contests?

#18 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

Solen,

Yes Houghton is fun; I grew up there and when to Michigan Tech. Friends still in the area. Ambassador Pizza rules! And its a block from the city dock. As for BWRC, we are fully crewed for the islands race, and are signed up for the whole week of buoys. But you're right, the (lack of) wind can play havoc with that, and we're not a big fan of drifting. Sitting in Big Bay with a Rum Drink sounds better. If the winds are nonexistent I can see some DNCs in our future for sure.

#19 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Ensign nationals are in Marquette this year, sometime in August. We'll probably have all kinds of fun things going on with that. Lots of food/music fests througout the summer in the harbour as well.

#20 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Ensign nationals are in Marquette this year, sometime in August. We'll probably have all kinds of fun things going on with that. Lots of food/music fests througout the summer in the harbour as well.

Marquette rocks. If there is any chance we can get that far, we will.

Where's the best place to park a 7.25 keel?

#21 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:delete account

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

Fall sailing in your neck of the woods was a challenge. I sailed my ship the Canadian Venture many times north to Thunder bay, and the Twin ports for that last grain load. One unique story as I am a small boat sailor. We where tracking a 1000' ship bound for The twin ports and noticed his course was essentially tacking upwind in the NW gale we where heading into. We both timed our rounding of the Keewanaw to make the short dash to the north shore as soon as the wind veered more to the north. I called him up and asked why he was tacking upwind in a thousand footer The reason he gave us, by presenting an angle to the wind the spray coming over the bow was limited to the first 3 hatches rather than the full length of the ship. Ice accretion by wind driven spray can soon coat all surfaces to a point were you are days working at busting up the ice in order to get access to the cargo hold. So it isn't just us sailors that use the tacking feature to make use of up wind sailing. Northern lights in your neck of the woods are spectacular. So is summer refraction of light waves. Clear sky cold water and being able to see Whitefish light 120 miles away. Height of eye calculation for our ship and Whitefish Light put rising dipping bearing at 17 miles. Sweet water sailing is great. Oh did I mention you can see the bottom 40' down.

abstract-aerial-art_40234.jpg

#22 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Oh did I mention you can see the bottom 40' down.

this is something I never expected. On the south shore (along the shore of WI), there are a lot of white sandy beaches. The water there is turquoise blue. Almost Caribbean blue. And at 50 degrees in the shallow, it'll turn you blue in a matter of minutes.

#23 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

Oh did I mention you can see the bottom 40' down.

this is something I never expected. On the south shore (along the shore of WI), there are a lot of white sandy beaches. The water there is turquoise blue. Almost Caribbean blue. And at 50 degrees in the shallow, it'll turn you blue in a matter of minutes.

Its 41F degrees now, but Sons by mid-late July we'll be swimming in Big, Julian, Presque Isle, and Quarry Bays, along with here, the SE end of Outer Island. These south-side, sandy, shallow, protected bays warm up VERY nicely. Very comfortable swimming. One of the Apostle's little secrets.

Posted Image

#24 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Its been raining like CRAZY in the west end of the lake. Look at the coloration of the water due to floodwater run-off.

warning BIG image:

http://coastwatch.gl...or.143.250m.jpg

#25 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Marquette rocks. If there is any chance we can get that far, we will.

Where's the best place to park a 7.25 keel?

Anywhere in the harbour. It runs 25-30ft minimum all the way up to the harbour wall where you can tie up for the night (may or may not get charged for the night depending on how lazy marina staff are), wall has shore power hookups and all that. I'm pretty sure the marina itself is deeper than that so you can get to the pump-out fuel docks. Lots of room to anchor as well, sandy bottom 10-15ft depth. They get tall ships, cruise ships, coast guard cutters, and all kinds of other crap in the harbour so i'm sure you'll be fine :D

#26 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Always so dang dry here in the summer. The storms always seem to head north up the keweenaw or pulled south along lake michigan.

#27 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

Something from the Apostles............ Maybe some known sailors ....... seen from Buffalo Bay

I have other fuzzier pictures - just a bit to far away.

Attached Files

#28 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

and I have just the boat for Lake Superior...

(shameless plug :D)

Attached Files

#29 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

Covey Island Boatworks has this take on cold weather housing - maybe some will spill back into their boats.

http://inhabitat.com...for-the-arctic/

Attached Files

#30 ancientseawolf

ancientseawolf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

Something from the Apostles............ Maybe some known sailors ....... seen from Buffalo Bay

Fourth from the left is my old boat.
I've sailed this lake for 60+ years

#31 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Fourth from the left is my old boat.
I've sailed this lake for 60+ years

60+ years on the Lake??

Then you Sir, ARE The AncientSeaWolf.

#32 ancientseawolf

ancientseawolf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Some days it feels more ancient than others.

Today is a glorious day on the lake

#33 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

I turned east on old Hwy 23 and was only 20 miles ahead of meeting a storm dropping "ping pong ball" sized hail ---- and this is what it looked liked in Cornucopia:

Attached Files

#34 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Any recommendations for a good rigger in the west-end of Lake Superior??

#35 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:19 AM

Eric Thomas of 'Polar Bear' fame. Out of Barkers. He'll sort you out pronto. Makes house calls to the apostles.

#36 the_abandoned_brane

the_abandoned_brane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

i go trout fishing when up that way. nice lake. cold as hell.

each lake has a different color.

#37 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Up all weekend. Today sunny and SW at 20 down to 8 by the time we hit Big Bay. Kestrel with a Dark and Stormy. Sadly water only 60 degrees. Who cares.

Posted Image

#38 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

Water was 50 degrees outside the harbour here :)

I took my dad out for a sail this morning for father's day, we had a blast! Tried out the "new" 100% jib and put a reef in the main. I was planning on being slightly under-canvassed and just going for a relaxing sail. As usual, the wind forcast was nowhere near reality and the 5-9kts was more like 12-15, gusts in the 20's. Actually had the boat almost perfectly dialed in for the conditions aside from the super strong and shifty puffs that rolled off the land. Hit 7.4kts under main and jib according to the speedo. Took the jib down for a while and still hit 6.5 under reefed main, not bad for an old tub :D

#39 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

Water was 50 degrees outside the harbour here :)

I took my dad out for a sail this morning for father's day, we had a blast! Tried out the "new" 100% jib and put a reef in the main. I was planning on being slightly under-canvassed and just going for a relaxing sail. As usual, the wind forcast was nowhere near reality and the 5-9kts was more like 12-15, gusts in the 20's. Actually had the boat almost perfectly dialed in for the conditions aside from the super strong and shifty puffs that rolled off the land. Hit 7.4kts under main and jib according to the speedo. Took the jib down for a while and still hit 6.5 under reefed main, not bad for an old tub :D

Awesome Memo! Pictures????

I have to say, NOAA is pretty dialed in around here. What are you listening to, the nearshore?

#40 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Yep NOAA's nearshore forcast. I wasn't too surprised by the extra wind because the nearshore was calling for 5-9 out of the west and the inland forcast was for 10-15mph with gusts to 25 from the west. NOAA only gets it right from the north or east, never from the south or west it seems like :)

No pictures :( My SLR is too huge to lug around during sailing, and i don't have a pocket cam. I want to get one of those small water poof ones though...

#41 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

On the bayfield peninsula maybe we are less effected by inshore weather patterns.

Te cameras, along with the GoPro and the iPhone in the life proof case, I pick up a waterproof Panasonic 16mpix DMC-TS20. Nice. Not quite the pix quality of a friends Nikon AW-10, but 1/2 the price at US$150

#42 Kestrel219

Kestrel219

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Hunting

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

Double reef, 90% jib, 20 knots, blowing by Grants.

A perfect weekend!

#43 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:36 AM

I blew my chance to sail yesterday. I laid a spinning Dremel down and then reached across it cutting through the skin on the back of my hand - pretty stupid. There was no deep damage, to veins and tendons, but also not much left to hold the skin together so I trotted to Ashland and had it cleaned and stitched by a nurse practitioner - she did a great job. We had a good talk - she worked for a while in Alaska and was used to stitching fiskermen and now lumberjacks as well so I was in good company.

I am now practicing being ambidextrous (to spare it) maybe next week I can learn to walk upright.

Jackdaw, I will drop in at Barkers. I want to run my mainsail lines back to bump ease and safety of single handing. Maybe they also have someone that can see if my Raymarine/autohelm is fixable.

#44 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:25 AM

Solen,

Sorry about your hand. But lucky you missed all the cables so you'll be back at it soon. As you alluded to, yesterday was a peach. Kestrel and I screamed out of Pikes Bay over to Grants at like 8 knots, and then turned up to Big Bay to get in the lee for dinner and drinks. A pork tenderloin and veggies on the grill with a nice Spanish Red. Van Morrison's 'Poetic Champions Compose' on the audio system. God I love the Apostles.

#45 b6sfull

b6sfull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

Kestrel and I screamed out of Pikes Bay over to Grants at like 8 knots, and then turned up to Big Bay to get in the lee for dinner and drinks. A pork tenderloin and veggies on the grill with a nice Spanish Red. Van Morrison's 'Poetic Champions Compose' on the audio system. God I love the Apostles.

Can't wait to get up there........I hear the crew gets the scraps though......any truth to this?

A rum chaser will work fine. :P

#46 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

I have not put a hand on Soņadora for about a month. I'll be able to get back to it this week. Now it's looking like end of July. That would give is 2 or 3 weekends to sail. I don't mind, just want to get the boat up there. We'll make up for it next season!

By the way, that Dark and Stormy looks rather empty. Time for a refill! ;)

#47 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

I have not put a hand on Soņadora for about a month. I'll be able to get back to it this week. Now it's looking like end of July. That would give is 2 or 3 weekends to sail. I don't mind, just want to get the boat up there. We'll make up for it next season!

By the way, that Dark and Stormy looks rather empty. Time for a refill! ;)

Sons, We were thinking about you guys all weekend. That 20 out of the SSW would have been perfect Soņadora weather. I get the kids and school thing, but she will be in the water until October. And you always know where to come for a sail until then.

#48 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

Can't wait to get up there........I hear the crew gets the scraps though......any truth to this?

A rum chaser will work fine. :P

All set you Stu. Good times await!

#49 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

On Sunday the quiet at anchor was broken by a Pan-Pan on the VHF. Sadly a small plane is believed lost in Lake Superior west of the Apostles. They wanted boaters to been on the looking for debris and oil sheens. I looked at the water temp on the open lake it is was 50F. Sobering.

#50 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Water...frozen or otherwise, can't be picky up here.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

Pretty excited about finding this thread! Grew up cruising on western Superior with family. Couldn't ask for a better childhood than that.

Duluth Yacht club is holding our race to Bayfield this Saturday...anticipation is building for race week!

#51 dyslexic dog

dyslexic dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Have not sailed Superior, but I highly recommend the eastern shore on 17 in Canada for canoe and kayaking. Agawa Bay area and Old Woman bays especially.

#52 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

The storms are coming through like freight trains right now - I can't do a proper edit on my netbook but here the "eight o'clock train"

Attached Files

#53 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Pretty excited about finding this thread! Grew up cruising on western Superior with family. Couldn't ask for a better childhood than that.

Duluth Yacht club is holding our race to Bayfield this Saturday...anticipation is building for race week!

See you at the Rum Line then. What are you sailing?

#54 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Posted Image

June 30 to July 6 is the annual Bayfield Race Week in the Apostle Islands. This Mt. Gay sponsored event is the biggest regatta on Lake Superior. Of particular interest to 'cruisers' is the Mid-Distance class. This is a very competitive class for boats and crews that would rather race a 3-4 hour distance course thru the islands instead of a bunch of buoy-based knife fights. You can race all week, or on a day by day basis. The week kicks off on Saturday with the amazing 60 mile around the islands race. Come one come all!

http://wyc.org/ais/RaceWeek.aspx

#55 ancientseawolf

ancientseawolf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

Keep your eyes peeled for some big trees floating in the Lake in the next few weeks

#56 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

See you at the Rum Line then. What are you sailing?

I'll be on the Olson 40. Owner took delivery of her last november and we spent the winter working on her. We've only been out on one practice sail, so hopefully the race to Bayfield will be a good shake down...nice thing is we are all used to sailing on Olson 30's (the 40 crew is comprised of both Polar Bear and Raptors crew) and the boat is set up in a pretty similar manner. I'm the new girl on the foredeck, so if you see a spinnaker go up sideways cut me some slack!

#57 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Keep your eyes peeled for some big trees floating in the Lake in the next few weeks

Absolutely - However Duluth looks more like it got hit by an eathquake than a flood depending on where you are looking. Stay safe everyone!

#58 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

I was just thinking about debris in the water yesterday :/ Gotta be pretty bad over on the western end of the lake. Can't wait to see how much water is in my boat when I get home this weekend lol.

#59 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

Duluth got hit with NINE INCHES of rain in a 24 hour period. This in a small city that has the topology of San Fran. Whole streets washed away. Seals from the zoo on main street. Creeks turned into class 5 rapids. It's a full on disaster.

http://www.msnbc.msn...r/#.T-Mu0OtYtjg

#60 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

From the guys at Barkers

As you may have heard, the Twin Ports has been hit by a record rainfall and flooding with much damage reported. I live in the Central Park neighborhood of Superior and the creek that flows through the park has backed up at... the drainage culverts in the park that drain to the harbor, flooding homes here, including my basement. The flooding from this creek took out the Northwest access road to Barker's Island that runs from Belknap past the Bong Center and to the causeway road. Fortunately the Southeast access road across from the Fairlawn Mansion and the causeway road are still open to the Island. Some of us were able to get to the Marina this morning to check on the boats and facilities. We've had to pump out some of the more open boats without working automatic bilge pumps. The power to the Island went out this morning at around 9:00 AM and is still out. We have no idea, at this time, when it will be restored. The Marina is OK compared to many other parts of Superior and Duluth. I will make updates here as I learn more

and yes, there is a Bong Center in Superior WI.

#61 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

There is a piece of Hwy 13 missing somewhere between Superior and Cornucopia - I am not sure where - so call ahead.
Hwy 63 through Hayward is open and was in good condition when I drove south Wednesday.

Attached Files

#62 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

We are on our way up. I think we will stick to major roads.

#63 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Anyone in Bayfield this weekend? K and I will be up and could stand for a drink...

#64 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

JD- Good to meet you and kestrel this past weekend. Took me awhile to catch on to who you were (I was a little foggy) Hope you got a chance to take the boat out Sunday, looked like it was shaping up to be a beautiful day. I'm sure I'll see you guys around next week!

#65 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

I need to mention my friends Bob and Ilona. This happened so fast I totally forgot to spend some time with them before they left.

http://sv-ihana.blogspot.com/

Check out the chocolate water in the marina.

I am looking forward to following these guys. JD, you probably remember Bob. The old dude with the loud hawai'in shirt who was at Soņadora's refit kickoff party.

#66 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

I need to mention my friends Bob and Ilona. This happened so fast I totally forgot to spend some time with them before they left.

I am looking forward to following these guys. JD, you probably remember Bob. The old dude with the loud hawai'in shirt who was at Soņadora's refit kickoff party.

The water at Barkers was unreal - it's never been nice, but it was literally a glowing brown color...The water seems to be clearing up a bit, we'll see how much debris is still floating around tomorrow night round the cans.

#67 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

JD- Good to meet you and kestrel this past weekend. Took me awhile to catch on to who you were (I was a little foggy) Hope you got a chance to take the boat out Sunday, looked like it was shaping up to be a beautiful day. I'm sure I'll see you guys around next week!

Our pleasure as well. No need to explain, those 4AM finishes will do that to a person. We did get out; was perfect. 15K but on the nose for a run up to Stockton Island for diner. We crossed three distinct color lines in the water. Amazing as it turned from gray to green to blue. The amount of 'stuff' in the lake is amazing. Race Week shaping up nicely. See you this weekend!

#68 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Sons I sure do. That's great that they are under way. Good blog too. We've had two sets of dock-mates take off for multi-year cruises this year... One in a S&S IOR warhorse, and the other in the nicest damn Valiant 40 you'll ever see.

#69 hwy61

hwy61

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:45 AM

Coming down for Round the Islands and Bayfield Race Week from Thunder Bay, looking for crew, anybody have any leads for anyone? Racing Straight Jacket an X Yacht 3/4 ton. I can get by in Round the Islands but am pretty short for the week. Any help greatly appreciated, must be some adventurous, spontaneous people out there.

#70 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:23 AM

I will post your request with our Buffalo Bay Maritime Association.

You can reach me here:

Attached Files

#71 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,989 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

We were up land bound west of Duluth last week. Damn. Rain, Rain and More Rain. Thunderstorms and Lightening, very, very frightening. For 3 days straight.

Middle of the state was closed - was a bit of a hassle getting back south to MSP. Had to detour round Mille Lacs.

Lovely beauty up there. I don't miss the mosquitos though.

#72 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:47 AM

Coming down for Round the Islands and Bayfield Race Week from Thunder Bay, looking for crew, anybody have any leads for anyone? Racing Straight Jacket an X Yacht 3/4 ton. I can get by in Round the Islands but am pretty short for the week. Any help greatly appreciated, must be some adventurous, spontaneous people out there.

Highway,

We may have some people that try to find a chair on Kestel after the Music is stopped. PM me with your email, I'll keep you in the loop.

clay

#73 hwy61

hwy61

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

done and thx Solen

#74 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

We were up land bound west of Duluth last week. Damn. Rain, Rain and More Rain. Thunderstorms and Lightening, very, very frightening. For 3 days straight.

Middle of the state was closed - was a bit of a hassle getting back south to MSP. Had to detour round Mille Lacs.

Galileo! Galileo! Galileo Figaro...

Sorry, not quite the exact lyrics, but it's what immediately popped into my head :) Sorry MN wasn't very hospitable this time around!

#75 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Galileo! Galileo! Galileo Figaro...

Sorry, not quite the exact lyrics, but it's what immediately popped into my head :) Sorry MN wasn't very hospitable this time around!

That's OK, he missed it to. ThunderBOLTS.

#76 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

Our pleasure as well. No need to explain, those 4AM finishes will do that to a person. We did get out; was perfect. 15K but on the nose for a run up to Stockton Island for diner. We crossed three distinct color lines in the water. Amazing as it turned from gray to green to blue. The amount of 'stuff' in the lake is amazing. Race Week shaping up nicely. See you this weekend!

Weather looks great, only way it could improve is if they were calling for some wind...

#77 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Weather looks great, only way it could improve is if they were calling for some wind...

We were just talking about that over in Kestrel-land. PredictWind shows the seabreeze lasting till around noon. Then it ALL shuts down below 5.

Posted Image

#78 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

What are you hard core Superior Sailors doing to heat your boats ? I can't imagine pushing fall sailing to far with out some substantial heat down below.

#79 ancientseawolf

ancientseawolf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:51 AM

Heat???

#80 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Some of you might wear Bear Skin Underwear to ward of the cold.. Others might have an Espar. Buddy of mine sails the North Channel in the fall and his Force 10 is lame to heat a 36' flush deck Airex hull. Looking for a better heater for him.

Heat???

#81 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:16 AM

Never mind Global warming will take care of my frozen ass. I hate cold weather sailing.

Heat???

#82 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

RACE WEEK REDUX:

Holy shit what a week. 7 straight days of racing. OK, I'm burned out. Just the Highlights:

Finally meeting Stu (B6sful). Awesome sailing with you buddy. Thx for the friendship and all the 367 go-fast advice.

WinchinBritches was bowchick on a simply gorgeous Olson 40. Well sailed boat, and better yet the whole crew was spring loaded for fun.

The kick-off 66NM Around the Islands race finished past 3AM for us, mid-pack as your finish was all about where you where when the wind shut off. The last 3 miles took over three hours for us. A third of the fleet retired.

Team Kestrel did better in the distance races... we had the boat speed, but would lose to much time in the buoys to boats that where well oiled machines.

Boat speed it good.

When we managed to have the same 8 on board two days in a row (happened once), good things happen.

Rum is good.

Here we are, me, Kestrel, Winchin, and B6sful. Great time.

Posted Image

#83 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Sounds like a fun time, wish I could've made it over there. It's been a very hot summer so far around here, and the wind has been pretty light. Even the seabreeze had a hard time kicking in all week long for some reason. Have had some wicked thunderstorms so far though, weehaa.

#84 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the pic JD - Looking forward to some of the watermelon anarchy if you have them! Another great race week in the books, and what a fantastic time it was- I think I got my fill of bike jumping, halyard swinging, spinnaker pole diving and land/water wrestling for a little while at least. Now to recover!

#85 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

I took my parents for a sail last week and the wind died on us. Decided to motor around the harbour for a bit. All was well until I ran the boat out of gas :D Tried sailing back to my slip but the 1/100th of a knot was getting old fast. Luckily had a kayak paddle down below that I used to paddle us home. Got the beast up to 0.5kts and got a decent workout in the process.

I also (finally) started peeling the old DYC and superior, wi stickers from the transom of my boat. Took off the ior, wi and called it a day :)

Took a felow Ranger owner who was visiting from California for a sail and we flew one of my spinnakers for the first time. That was alot of fun! Didn't have the pole on board because it wouldn't fit in my car. Had it later in the week and a few guys from the club went out with me and we had some fun with the chute. Amazing how smoothly the boat works with other sailors on board.

#86 b6sfull

b6sfull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

working on a Happy Holiday list for Kestrel........OMG clear the American Express account, dont go to Marine Store without it........

Had an amazing time with JD, Kestrel, and crew. The Appostles were awesome, Race Week was awesome, weather was awesome, Storms were awesome also....lol

Geez, one word describes it all......any guess?

Thanks again Clay and Pia for being gracious hosts. Glad I could help. Cool boat too.

#87 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:27 AM

Ah, the Friday storm.

Althought not as bad as some of the 'God must be mad with me' storms I've seen on the Lake, this squall played havoc with a racing fleet. We watched it come in on XM weather, and as the winds built under the wall cloud to 25+ knots and climbing I figured that was it. We retired, dropped headsail, flipped her over, and reached before it with a bladed main in the general direction of home. The rain finally caught us. The fleet suffered at least 4 spinnaker shreddings before the RC abandoned the race.

#88 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the pic JD - Looking forward to some of the watermelon anarchy if you have them! Another great race week in the books, and what a fantastic time it was- I think I got my fill of bike jumping, halyard swinging, spinnaker pole diving and land/water wrestling for a little while at least. Now to recover!

Watermelon race. After a few rum drinks to loosen the screws, a flight of Opti races were set up, with the goal of bringing back a watermelon to shore. There are no real rules. After a few minutes, the 2nd flight of racers jump in (seemingly led by Britches) to take matters into their own hands.

Posted Image

Melon secured. Not to get to shore....

Posted Image

#89 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

Watermelon race. After a few rum drinks to loosen the screws, a flight of Opti races were set up, with the goal of bringing back a watermelon to shore. There are no real rules. After a few minutes, the 2nd flight of racers jump in (seemingly led by Britches) to take matters into their own hands.

Posted Image

Melon secured. Not to get to shore....

Posted Image

Awesome! Lol... All I heard was capsize, pillage, plunder and bring home the melon! It was a good thing they called it after one race- no way we would have made it through 3 heats haha I was wiped!

Opposing bowman: " what are you doing?"
Me: "I'm capsizing your boat!"
Opposing bowman: "but it's my boat!"
Me: "I know! I am sorry-it's necessary!"

Screaming o for the win!

God I love race week...

#90 Kestrel219

Kestrel219

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Hunting

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:07 AM

God I love race week...

+1
What a blast!!! Screaming O is a beautiful and fast boat!!

#91 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

I took my parents for a sail last week and the wind died on us. Decided to motor around the harbour for a bit. All was well until I ran the boat out of gas :D Tried sailing back to my slip but the 1/100th of a knot was getting old fast. Luckily had a kayak paddle down below that I used to paddle us home. Got the beast up to 0.5kts and got a decent workout in the process.

I also (finally) started peeling the old DYC and superior, wi stickers from the transom of my boat. Took off the ior, wi and called it a day :)

Took a felow Ranger owner who was visiting from California for a sail and we flew one of my spinnakers for the first time. That was alot of fun! Didn't have the pole on board because it wouldn't fit in my car. Had it later in the week and a few guys from the club went out with me and we had some fun with the chute. Amazing how smoothly the boat works with other sailors on board.

Memo, you get any pix of all this action? Would love to see some of your side of the lake!

Also, are there any decent places to anchor between Big Bay and Munising?

#92 hwy61

hwy61

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Wakeboarding behind Straight Jacket on a floorboard. Only our skinny bowman could get to his feet, although a septagenarian tried. Great week, always fun to be had, looking forward to returning the first week of August.

Attached Files

#93 Knottingham

Knottingham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Sail away sail away sail away.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Unreal. Love the Vid Clay. You guys look great out there! Was hoping we could make it... We gotta get boats in the same water again soon!

#94 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Wakeboarding behind Straight Jacket on a floorboard. Only our skinny bowman could get to his feet, although a septagenarian tried. Great week, always fun to be had, looking forward to returning the first week of August.

Highway, you killed us with the one.

#95 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Memo, you get any pix of all this action? Would love to see some of your side of the lake!

Also, are there any decent places to anchor between Big Bay and Munising?

I pulled out my phone camera to get pictures of the spinnaker but it was too zoomed in to show much. I'll try and remember to bring a real camera out this weekend.

You probably won't be able to get into the inner harbour at big bay, very shallow and not well maintained (sandbars taking over i've heard). Almost everyone that sails up there runs aground if you don't do it right lol. At least it's only sand... I've never been up there, just what i've been hearing. The bay itself though is pretty nice and sheltered. The run down to marquette (probably a nice beam reach) shouln't take you long at all with any kind of breeze. There aren't any real protected anchorages, but if the wind stays to the west or south that whole shoreline is full of sandy beach and gorgeous places to anchor for lunch and possibly overnight if you're careful with weather. Look-up Granot Loma, you'll pass by that place perched over the lake. That stretch running down to marquette has to be one of the most beautiful places on the lakes.

Marquette has a great harbour (you want the lower one, upper harbour is kind of shitty and gets sanded in) lots of room to anchor or tie up in the marina or on the city pier (pier also has shore power hookups). Munising is a bit longer haul but once you're there it's a really awesome place. Grand Island has several great anchorages, or go in to munising itself. Lots of big cliffs, and of course pictured rocks starts there as well. Between marquette and munising there are a couple of bays you could hide from the weather in, shelter bay being the most protected, but once you're there it isn't much further to get behind grand island anyway. Nowhere I'd want to overnight I don't think, unless again you were carefull of the weather.

#96 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Swimming season is in full gear... everywhere. Last weekend we swan in the north channel off Madeline Island. Its over 200 feet deep and with over 100 miles of NE fetch, its normally its a no-go zone in anything less than a survival suit. We swam alongside the boat while it drifted for almost an hour. Pia remarked that the water was not even refreshing; too close to air temp. Global warming at its best. Or worst.

#97 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Palm Trees in the Apostles...bring it!

#98 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Actually that would be wake boarding behind a power driven vessel. This would be wake boarding behind a sail driven vessel.

All looks like fun. Just how much above average is Superiors water temperature this year?

Highway, you killed us with the one.

#99 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

I saw water temps at the transducer around 74 on friday. Wind out of the north saturday for a while and brought the water temp down to the mid 60's. The gf and I anchored off one of the beaches in town and I swam around for almost an hour. Still a bit of a shock when you first jump in, but gets comfortable fast. Had a lot of fun swinging from the spinnnaker halyard.

#100 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

I told Minna this morning if we keep having these awful summers in the Twin Cities, we're moving to Duluth!

by the way, I have a chart in my cube of Lake Superior. Ever notice it looks like a wolf's head?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users