#1 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hi,

Anyone seen the video today with the brand new crispy Quantum sails and a doghouse as big as a refrigerator on deck. Yes... Everything for comfort. Even a chance to win the single handed transpac.
But I guess he dumps the doghouse as soon as the race starts

#2 notallthere

notallthere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • Interests:any sport that starts with S

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

Anyone seen the video today with the brand new crispy Quantum sails and a doghouse as big as a refrigerator on deck. Yes... Everything for comfort. Even a chance to win the single handed transpac.

It is a 24' flushdeck boat. That doghouse is needed to keep some water out of the inside as Ronnie rips up 10' Pacific rollers.

Hey Ronnie, good luck bro!

#3 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Hi,

It is a 24' flushdeck boat. That doghouse is needed to keep some water out of the inside as Ronnie rips up 10' Pacific rollers.

Hey Ronnie, good luck bro!

I know but still... Buying new sails that add speed is wiped out by the doghouse.

#4 full circle

full circle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

i'm rooting for ronnie too! but man that could have been built at least a little smoother is what i thought when i saw it this morning too.

go ronnine go!

#5 kokopelli

kokopelli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

I guess Ronnie felt the need to be able to stand up somewhere without getting drenched. While not pretty it is functional. Looks like it is made from carbon composite so probably negligible in weight up high.

Yes, it is windage but on a predominantly downwind race less important than being able to stretch your back.

Schakel, I can't help but think that you should listen to LeoV's advice more...

Go Ronnie!

#6 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

Kokopelli, maybe I will try to beat some sense in this young Dutchy :)

Schakel, I think its a Moore 24 (did not see a link so its a guess) , a very important historical design in the offshore circuit.
Ronnie sailed the Transpac (or one of those race, I mix them up all the time) in a J 109 ? A very wet boat.

So Ronnie got smart and did this to enhance his experience.
I remember once I sailed a x yacht accros foto 102, ran into bad weather, no dodger, leaked like hell, and safety important with crashing waves. I duc taped the sliding hatch and screwed the lower of the washboards in place. In a hurry my only way to get out was to dive trough the top opening the size of a small washboard. Not a comfortable way to get onto deck :)
So I can feel way Ronnie would do this.

#7 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

Ronnie did it last time on a Mt. Gay 30 , this time it's his Moore 24 "US101".

Managing fatigue is an important aspect of doing well in such a long race. I imagine he has a pretty good grip on what he is doing.

#8 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,686 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hi,

You clearly have never done the trip to Hawaii especially on a Moore 24. I thought it was a brilliant idea it may be the only spot on the entire boat Ronnie can stand all the way up without getting tossed over the side or a face full of pacific.

Kicks some ASS!! Ronnie!! Nice Qualifier video - most of the SA posters wouldn't be happy spending 3hrs in that rough cold wet shit let alone several hundred miles! You will love it when you hit the Blue water! Warm and all down hill.

#9 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Schakel, I think its a Moore 24 (did not see a link so its a guess) , a very important historical design in the offshore circuit.
Ronnie sailed the Transpac (or one of those race, I mix them up all the time) in a J 109 ? A very wet boat.

I remember once I sailed a x yacht accros foto 102, ran into bad weather, no dodger, leaked like hell, and safety important with crashing waves. I duc taped the sliding hatch and screwed the lower of the washboards in place. In a hurry my only way to get out was to dive trough the top opening the size of a small washboard. Not a comfortable way to get onto deck :)

Hi,

Traditionally people close their top hatch..
Hey.... no water comes inside...
That was where it was all about wasn't it.

Maybe the site was down, but your link to X102 doesn't work.
I like X yacht a lot, although somewhat on the price.
And they do not go very cheaper on the second hand market.
Must be because they are good ships.

Same counts for Hallberg Rassy. Not a racing ship but good enough for me and my friends.
The HR 342 is to be sailed single handed as well.
Sailing single handed is good for me because I sail with inexperienced crew as well.
In that way I can do anything myself on board without stress or panic.

#10 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

Hi,

Traditionally people close their top hatch..
Hey.... no water comes inside...
That was where it was all about wasn't it.

Maybe the site was down, but your link to X102 doesn't work.
I like X yacht a lot, although somewhat on the price.
And they do not go very cheaper on the second hand market.
Must be because they are good ships.

Same counts for Hallberg Rassy. Not a racing ship but good enough for me and my friends.
The HR 342 is to be sailed single handed as well.
Sailing single handed is good for me because I sail with inexperienced crew as well.
In that way I can do anything myself on board without stress or panic.

An X-Yacht withdrew from Vic-Maui a couple years ago because the crew was wet, miserable, and borderline hypothermic. They had taken the random big wave into the cabin with the slider open when they felt it was rather calm out(racing form, no dodger). They were not able to get the boat, clothes, sleeping bags dry after several days and they withdrew because it just SUCKED so much to live that way.

I had an invite to go with these guys, and this was the exact reason I declined. I stood by the boat at the dock in Victoria right before the start, and my wife and I discussed what a wet miserable ride they were going to have in the North Paciifc on this beautiful, sleek looking boat.

And do you think this little doghouse on the Moore 24 actually eliminates the speed gain from new sails? WTF, can I have some of what you are drinking/smoking? Besides the fatique/comfort factors mentioned (in these races it's the crew that can RACE, as opposed to SAIL, the boat 24x7 that wins)How does a small amount of windage effect his ability to point, to adjust the foil shape of the sail, airflow over the sails? and how much negative windage is it when he his reaching deep anyway.

hell maybe they should knock him a little on the handicap, it's mostly a downwind race, maybe the extra windage will HELP him.

Anyway, the wellness/fatigue factor outweighs everything else anyway on this. this guy has the most spectacular idea I have seen in this race, from my POV anyway

#11 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

if you have been on a moore then you will think this makes sense, little ugly but after a couple of weeks who cares?

#12 frankda1959

frankda1959

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:FT-10, moore 24, ocean racing

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

As someone who raced a Moore to Oahu twice, I would agree if the doghouse added to eliminating fatique for Ronnie that would "over-ride" any negative performance issues that the doghouse added. Which I don't think is windage but weight (minimal). In hind-sight he had other issues that had far greater negative impacts on his performance. E.g. power/self-steering. He did good for the conditions. It is hard to do poorly on a Moore to Hawaii, something I accomplished in the 90 Pac Cup!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users