33 replies to this topic

#1 cruzer

cruzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Cruising, Deliveries

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:28 AM

SO......... when I visit other boats over the decades I note that often they have the clock on one side of the forward bulkhead and the barometer on the other... except those that have one mounted over the other.
Is there some "nautical cabin decoration" protocol for placement of this stuff?
HGTV just doesn't seem to get into boating solutions!
Although, come to think of it, it would be fun to watch a seagoing version of Mike Holmes tearing into cheapy boats with horrible prior-owner mods! Posted Image

Rumor has it that there are a few experienced sailers here with lots of expert opinions. Posted Image

(We have a new set of these way-cool nautical instruments to install, and would only like to bore one new set of holes in the teak.
just got done teak-plugging about 16 holes left by the prior owner from some cheapie speakers and other stuff.)
Looks much better now with many coats of new varnish, if I do say so.

I have a forward facing nav table so can look up at one side easily and the other side when I look around the spar.

Opinions? What say ye, Listswains?
Posted Image

#2 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:19 AM

Put them whereever you want.
You want to be able to see them from the Nav station.
You want them to not be head knockers, either standing/passing thru or sitting.
Probably why they usually ended up on the bulkhead in the old days.

These days for most people they're just decor and end up on the bulkhead cuz it look all nautical and stuff...

#3 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:23 AM

SO......... when I visit other boats over the decades I note that often they have the clock on one side of the forward bulkhead and the barometer on the other... except those that have one mounted over the other.
Although, come to think of it, it would be fun to watch a seagoing version of Mike Holmes tearing into cheapy boats with horrible prior-owner mods! Posted Image

Rumor has it that there are a few experienced sailers here with lots of expert opinions. Posted Image

(We have a new set of these way-cool nautical instruments to install, and would only like to bore one new set of holes in the teak.
just got done teak-plugging about 16 holes left by the prior owner from some cheapie speakers and other stuff.)

I have a forward facing nav table so can look up at one side easily and the other side when I look around the spar.

Posted Image

Well, I have lots of opinions.

You have a pretty symmetrical layout, so you may want to have balance with one on each side.
Posted Image

I have an offset layout, so I mounted them side by side.

Posted Image

Yeah, yeah, messy v-berth. We're still shifting from night mode to day mode.

#4 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Posted Image

Well, I have lots of opinions.

You have a pretty symmetrical layout, so you may want to have balance with one on each side.
Posted Image

I have an offset layout, so I mounted them side by side.

Posted Image

Yeah, yeah, messy v-berth. We're still shifting from night mode to day mode.

I vote for same side so you can see them from Nav Station without looking around spar. Who knows, you may actually even start looking at them while Navigating or while making log entries...Then I'd balance the look by having Gate make you a nice half-hull model you could mount on the other side!

#5 Zonker

Zonker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

They should not be in a horizontal or vertical line. Stagger them both about 1.5 diameters vertically and horizontally.

Just look better that way.

#6 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

Put 'em any place you won't bash 'em with stuff and you can see 'em. No decor police around here - it's your boat.

(You could hang 'em with double stick tape for a day or so to see if you like it before drilling holes. Use strong tape.)

#7 cruzer

cruzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

You guys have hit on the pros and cons. Thanks much!

While the whole question is kinda silly, I'm always on the lookout for marine "traditions" that might apply. I still recall being told by several old timers, decades ago, to always put the main halyard on the starb. side of the mast and jib hal. on the port side. Can't recall the traditional reason at the moment, just that there was one....
As for staggering the instrument line-up, one would have to make the separation look planned and deliberate, as a slight change in plane would just look like you goofed on the alignment! Posted Image

Cheers,
Cruzer

#8 Elegua

Elegua

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

Now who's got a lead on a decent telltalel compass that has numbers on it and doesn't cost 800 bucks like Correa's?

#9 cruzer

cruzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Now who's got a lead on a decent telltalel compass that has numbers on it and doesn't cost 800 bucks like Correa's?

$325. Not exactly "cheap." Still better than $800.
http://www.landfalln...m/telltale.html

Posted Image

Or, check out the info in reply #2 in this thread: http://www.ericsonya...e&referrerid=28

#10 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

When you get that sorted, someone please explain why the cheap-o version of the Weems and Plath bulkhead clock uses 'N' type batteries that last only 4 months, instead of a couple of AAs that would last for a couple of years.

#11 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

From the web site:

Today, Weems and Plath is still located in the Chesapeake Bay town of Annapolis where it began so many years ago. We are committed to supplying the world with the finest nautical products and navigational instruments available while maintaining the high standards of service that have distinguished Weems and Plath from its inception.

Which I read as "The brand is worth a lot. The instruments are now built where wages are low."

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I thought about mounting a baro/clock below, but finally concluded they are essentially useless today. And the cherry wouldn't darken where they were mounted on the bulkhead as much as the rest of the bulkhead.

Haven't missed them.

#12 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

I wouldn't say they are useless.. a ship's bell is the easiest, simplest way to tell time when making passages.

As for the color of the cherry, what are you going to pull them off after mounting and be upset by the color and not by the holes?!? :P

#13 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

I wouldn't say they are useless.. a ship's bell is the easiest, simplest way to tell time when making passages.

As for the color of the cherry, what are you going to pull them off after mounting and be upset by the color and not by the holes?!? :P

I wear a watch when I sail, the only time I wear a watch. As for the baro, I decided that one that kept a history would be much more useful, and then I thought about the internet connection I have to all the NOAA data...

On the cherry, my boat was bought new and pristine. The holes and the mismatched wood were a real consideration.

There are storm cells N of here, I can hear the thunder but it's still sunny here. The radar has them going W to E as usual so they should miss us. We get a lot of this in August.

#14 stickboy

stickboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

I miss being able to see the clock on the aft bulkhead from the v-berth without reading glasses. But Rita P doesn't have a forward facing nav table.

Edit:
But the downside to having them next to the companionway is they can take some salt if the dodger is down while racing.

#15 Elegua

Elegua

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

$325. Not exactly "cheap." Still better than $800.
http://www.landfalln...m/telltale.html

Posted Image

Or, check out the info in reply #2 in this thread: http://www.ericsonya...e&referrerid=28

The baseplate compass is an excellent idea. Thanks.

#16 MY36

MY36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Crusing.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Is it possible to get a nice barometer that is made in the USA?

If not, what's the best alternative?

#17 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

Just screw the thing where ever you want. But listen, this is important. At no time during or after the installaion may you or anyone within ear shot talk like a fucken pirate.

#18 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Is it possible to get a nice barometer that is made in the USA?

If not, what's the best alternative?

Chelsea

#19 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

I'm thinking of mounting an old iPhone on the bulkhead with a picture of a ship's clock on the face.... double stick tape should work.... :rolleyes:

I have wrist watches and wind up ship's clocks and all sorts of things I don't ever use any more.... but, I did get the Ship's Clock Bell ap for my iPhone that rings out the correct chimes just to keep me on track. The was 1 bell a few minutes ago, the sun will be up soon. :D

BV

#20 JBE

JBE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

My barometer is on the main bulkhead because I want to see what the weather is going to be like outside when I'm inside.Outside I know , cos I'm init .
The clock is back by the galley ie closer to the cockpit so I can see when its beer oclock from outside.

#21 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

One of the best pleasures I've had while cruising is LOSING track of time :)

#22 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

<snip>
The clock is back by the galley ie closer to the cockpit so I can see when its beer oclock from outside.

What, Don't you have a yard arm?

#23 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Just screw the thing where ever you want. But listen, this is important. At no time during or after the installaion may you or anyone within ear shot talk like a fucken pirate.

+1. But to be truly nautical & shit, I would recommend mounting them on a vertical surface. :P

#24 JBE

JBE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:25 AM

<snip>

I used to have a gaff, but now its one of them newfangled macaroni rigs with that little wee pin head mainsail.
I wouldn't look at it anyway in reality, just like I don't really look at the clock.
Foursies is a state of mind afterall. Could be four , could be two. Ain't admitting to anything else.

#25 Jack Dale

Jack Dale

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

Get one of these

Posted Image

The barograph is great. The clock updates. No needles to move.

#26 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

<snip>

I used to have a gaff, but now its one of them newfangled macaroni rigs with that little wee pin head mainsail.
I wouldn't look at it anyway in reality, just like I don't really look at the clock.
Foursies is a state of mind afterall. Could be four , could be two. Ain't admitting to anything else.

Ahh, you see, you are missing some of the point. As skipper I reserve the right to call any part of the boat anything I want, If it suits me the boom 'could' become a yard arm, If I wanted it to be. Also the sun is in the sky, the sky is very very high, I'm figguring that at most times the sun is up the sun must be over the yard arm.
This type of thinking really just takes the formality out of the traditional "Elevensies".

#27 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Get one of these

Posted Image

The barograph is great. The clock updates. No needles to move.

that would look great on my Mac 26. Right next to the speedometer.

#28 toddster

toddster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

All right. So because of this thread, I took the clock down off the bulkhead and mailed it off to Chelsea to make it actually work. NOW I'm going to have to take the barometer down and polish it so they still match.

Another incremental spike in the beer/leisure deficit. I blame you guys.

#29 JBE

JBE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

OK, I'll fess up. My clock is a tide clock. I need it because I never could fathom the rule of twelfths.

#30 cruzer

cruzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

After too many other household chores got in our way, we finally (!) attached the new instruments today. Thru-fastened. We think that they look pretty good. The empty starboard side is scheduled to get a builder's plaque one of these days to balance out the 'look'. I also have some teak grab handles to varnish up to put on the starboard side -- bolted up back to back so there will be additional hand holds for the foreward cabin as well.

Sidebar: I had a nice delivery last week on an immaculate Ericson-38/200. Owner has added some extra handles inside and all were appreciated. Thirty hours from Aatoria to Pt Angeles, dock to dock.
(Especially sporty from about 2300 to 0500 when we were running for five hours in 24 kts with building seas.
Boat handled it all with consumate ease, BTW.)

Anyhoo, thanks to all for ideas and comments. Good stuff.
Posted Image

Attached Files

#31 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

Arr, that looks fine me maties. Fuck dammint, sorry. Now your going to have to take them down and put them back up again.

from about 2300 to 0500 when we were running for five hours

I think I know a blond joke like that. :)

sounds like you had a awesome trip.

#32 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

Posted Image

They used to be here. They were hard to see nestled under the shadow of the underside of the deck, so I moved them to the port side and higher.
Posted Image

We can see them from almost anywhere in the cabin, including the nav station in the pilot house.

#33 cruzer

cruzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Nice "boat art" item! Is that your boat? Fired glass? Painted glass?

Anyhow, it's mighty purdy.

Posted Image

#34 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

Nice "boat art" item! Is that your boat? Fired glass? Painted glass?

Anyhow, it's mighty purdy.

Posted Image

Thanks!

It's my rendition of Brigadoon under sail, in fused glass. My wife surprises me every year with a bunch of stuff on my birthday. She took to to a craft(y) shop where they make ceramics and fused glass. I'd never done fused glass before but, I thought I'd see what I could come up with.

I'm pleased with the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users