• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Any experience with these? They look like a great idea for cruising.

http://www.ronstan.c...ge.asp?RnID=272

Attached Files

#2 Catalina 36

Catalina 36

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Any experience with these? They look like a great idea for cruising.

http://www.ronstan.c...ge.asp?RnID=272

There is an Island Packet on my dock that's equipped with one of those -- The boat has some other questionable owner installed features that I've photographed, but decided to hold off on posting until I have a chance to confirm my fears, but that's another story.

My first thought on seeing the tent was that it looked very well constructed and I had a tinge of jealously, but after my experience this weekend, I'm not convinced I'd find it all that useful for my current needs. What occoured to me is that for a weekender like me, a boom tent would provide little value. The reason is, its designed to shade from the sun nearly directly overhead. When the sun is directly overhead, I'm usually sailing and thus the boom tent would be useless. Late in the afternoon and early in the morning, when some shade would be welcome, the sun is at a a low angle again making the boom tent useless for me. If you are cruising longer term, spending several days or weeks at a stretch anchored/moored/ in a slip, it would probably be a better investment.

#3 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Almost hate to admit it, but I use one of these...... Anchor Shade

While it's relatively small, it is quick/easy to adjust to the angle/height needed to provide coverage. I would never leave it rigged while I rowed away.... would need serious eye bleach :blink:

#4 New Morning

New Morning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

I contacted them for info last year and did not receive a reply.

I think they look good for cruising, in particular because the support is "air" and thus not going to break (though it may eventually wear and leak). We have a similar shape of bimini on New Morning, but with fiberglass poles. It provides great sun protection without support from the boom.

All those pictures in a slip and in glassy water are silly. If you're cruising in the tropics, you're probably anchored in at least 6-10kts of breeze, otherwise you'll fry. The biggest issue we've had, and that I suspect this would have, is when anchored in the trade winds. When they kick up above about 16kts, and the boat sails at anchor, the angle of the wind can be as much as 45-60 degrees at which point the sides will collapse a bit.

One missing element is an aft panel. In the tropics, the trades blow from the east so the transom is exposed to the afternoon sun to the west. We have an aft panel which zips in/out and is crucial for afternoon sun protection, then removed for cocktails and sunset viewing!

I don't like the look of the black interior, but I'd like to see one in action becuase I think it's probably worth a try.

#5 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Found this video on the Ronstan site...

http://www.ronstan.c...rarch_video.asp

#6 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Dock neighbor of ours had a similar one, not inflatable.

Yeah, we had boom tent envy.

They actually sailed with it a few times downwind with the jib rolled out and the main stowed.

We too use the Anchor Shade. Kinda shoddy construction. The clamp on the telescoping pole disintegrated after a couple months. I think the newer ones are better. Pretty versatile. You can take it to shore for a beach shade too.

#7 jimbojones

jimbojones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

defender was selling these for a song on clearance not so long ago, Ive seen them at the boat shows and thought it was a pretty cool idea and well implemented.
I have a homemade boom tent using sunbrella scored at a fabric salvage store and showing off my not quite dressmaker quality sewing work. If you have a really nice bimini with zip off sides I think that would be a better solution for cockpit shade/shelter. I find the boom tent , while nice for shade and a rain shelter makes moving about a pain.

#8 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

I think that ronstan one is specifically designed for the stripped out big race boats with huge cockpits, no where to hide from the early morning/late afternoon sun and nothing below. After racing just blow it up and presto, you have shade for the whole crew and their beverage of choice. Not designed for the weekend cruiser or anyone of that ilk as it is not sturdy enough for anything but a calm harbor after racing around the cans.

Edit: It says "Showerproof" on the ronstan site not rainproof also, astrix says non taped seams. So the thing is not designed as a anchor shade to be left up for any meaningful amount of time.

#9 CyberBOB

CyberBOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

...It says "Showerproof" on the ronstan site...

Might be good for the Seascape 18 ;)

#10 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

We normally stay in one location for 1-3 days when cruising...I like the idea that there are no
'hard parts". And in our case the rig geometry & rigid vang seem as they should work well with this product.

Keep it coming

#11 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Schattauer (sp?) makes a very very nice boom tent that seems to last through NW winters.

Not cheap though.

#12 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

We normally stay in one location for the summer when cruising...I like the idea that there are no
'hard parts". And in our case the rig geometry & rigid vang seem as they should work well with this product.

Keep it coming

Fixed it for you. You really need to get on a bigger lake. :)

#13 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,646 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

We normally stay in one location for the summer when cruising...I like the idea that there are no

Keep it coming

Fixed it for you. You really need to get on a bigger lake. :)

Isn't 1-3 days all summer in that part of Can Ah Dah? B)

#14 Tige

Tige

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

I'm thinking about going this route.

http://intheshd.com/specifications.cfm

#15 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

They work great, although they make your boat look a bit like a covered wagon.
I've got one for sale, pm me if your interested. It's been used about four times and is sitting in my garage since I am now boat-less.

#16 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I posted this picture of a sistership's boom "tent" over in the Catari thread, but it might be a better solution here. I like it because it is simple construction, and utilizes the mainsail cover that I already have. You could probably add/modify/tweak the design to suit your specific needs. Add battens, side panels, back panels, whatever.

Posted Image

#17 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Slick

I think that might be one of the best ideas I've seen...by far...but the geometry of GK's rig is such that the tent would only cover the coach and the cockpit would be wide open.

I blame Bob Posted Image

see

Attached Files

#18 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Gate, you could add in a back panel that center points to the backstay and then corner ties to the stern pulpit. Have it snap in to the ends of the side panel and the aft end of the mainsail cover. Then Bob can save some face ;)

#19 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

Slick that is facking brilliant! A small strip along the snaps would help that shed water too. as you suggested, maybe even some pockets for battens or tent poles.

After sewing up my dodger twice (about to do it a third time due to screw ups), I've learned that sewing your own stuff is pretty simple and rewarding.

#20 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

! agree...the best ideas are usually the simplest ones.

#21 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Phifertex is your friend Gate. :)

#22 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

! agree...the best ideas are usually the simplest ones.

Gatekeeper Marine: Half Hulls and Boom Tents.

Jeez, Gate, at this rate you'll be overtaking West Marine in a couple years if you're not careful

#23 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Crash

Jeez!!
I've had limited experience with West...and I would like to keep it that way. I certainly wouldn't want to duplicate their customer service model.

Besides, I'm making ten's of thousands* a month carving hulls Posted Image why would I want employees??

(* dust particles not dollars)

#24 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Slick

I think that might be one of the best ideas I've seen...by far...but the geometry of GK's rig is such that the tent would only cover the coach and the cockpit would be wide open.

I blame Bob Posted Image

see

Leave Bob out of it- I blame the IORPosted Image

#25 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'm glad you guys like the idea, I wish I could take credit for it, but it was someone else's. I did make sure that I showed that picture to SWMBO so someday we'll have a simiar setup on our boat.

#26 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

All good until you decide lazy jacks and/or stack packs are a good idea.....

#27 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:35 AM

Lazy Jacks can be slacked enough to allow the cover that SLICK has offered up...I don't know where Stack packs would figure in.

#28 redviking

redviking

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

I have one of these from Norway. Lars Sorbo the inventor, is a famous actor and a sailor...

Posted Image

#29 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:25 AM

Lazy Jacks can be slacked enough to allow the cover that SLICK has offered up...I don't know where Stack packs would figure in.

Your right, Gate.

We have jacks on kestrel. I hate pulling them in, only do it when racing.

#30 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

I have one of these from Norway. Lars Sorbo the inventor, is a famous actor and a sailor...

Posted Image

That's pretty slick, I like that!

#31 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Red:
That almost looks good. I like it. It's clever as hell. I could use on on my boat. That is if I lived where the sun ever came out. Does it shed water too?

#32 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Red:
That almost looks good. I like it. It's clever as hell. I could use on on my boat. That is if I lived where the sun ever came out. Does it shed water too?

I know what I'm going to build next. :)

This design is also popular for reflectors for photographers. You can take a circular object like this and twist it in on itself multiple times to make it much, much smaller then when deployed.

#33 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

Red:
That almost looks good. I like it. It's clever as hell. I could use on on my boat. That is if I lived where the sun ever came out.

Like the PNW??

#34 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,646 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:11 AM

Red:
That almost looks good. I like it. It's clever as hell. I could use on on my boat. That is if I lived where the sun ever came out.

Like the PNW??

So, when is summer in the NW this year? I heard it's the weekend of August 4/5?

#35 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

Red:

Like the PNW??

If we're lucky. Now it's between 3-5 PM on Aug. 23, and it's narrowing daily. We were looking forward to going away for a long weekend, but this is the latest forecast:

Attached File  forecast.JPG   19.63K   1 downloads

Bleaghh.

#36 tigger12

tigger12

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:44 AM

I think I have posted this before, but in case you missed it...

Painters tarp from Home Depot + Custom Made 5-section collapsible tent poles from Tent Pole Technologies in Washington State. Bridle attaches to the main halyard, bungee cords hold it down. Does not move around in a breeze. Tent poles fit into 3/4 " pvc pipe ends sewn into pockets on the underside of the tarp. Side pieces attach separately when you need additional protection. Still need sunscreen underneath it, of course. Need one or two more attachment points to keep it taught. Cheap and effective.

Attached Files

#37 Tige

Tige

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

They work great, although they make your boat look a bit like a covered wagon.
I've got one for sale, pm me if your interested. It's been used about four times and is sitting in my garage since I am now boat-less.

Thanks for the input and the offer. I won't be in the market for new awning solution until I'm back in the water after hurricane season. The look doesn't bother me as long as it is functional and especially since I think the stainless tube frame bimini (which I have now) is about the worst performing option and the best thing to do if you want to ugly up a boat.

#38 redviking

redviking

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

Red:

Yep. Simple construction using two tent poles and line. To fill water tanks, invert and use a baby bottle nipple/hose connector and voile', quick, clean and efficient. It can be positioned such that salt water spray doesn't contaminate. The design also spills excess wind well and remains pretty stable up to about 20-25 knots. Mine has survived a few storms on the hook with it up and I was away and it survived. Reportedly up to 45 knots on the last one. I use mine to shade the forepeak as I have a dodger and bimini.

Wish he sold them over here. I looked into it and the initial investment was out of my range. He also invented a really cool bean bag for boats and baby's. I love mine. West Marine carried them for awhile but they didn't sell well as you really need to try them on a boat. The size fits into those uncomfortable nooks and really is super comfortable for those long night watches. I know, he should buy an ad. Plastimo in Europe sells them, or I got mine thru a Norwegian friend.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 cruzer

cruzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Cruising, Deliveries

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

And then if you just need shelter at anchor or when docked...
http://www.habitent.com/

Gotta say that Slick's sailcover plus shade panels picture is way cool - adding shade without carrying so much extra canvas around.

Lotsa "right answers" - ya jus gotta choose the one that has the compromises you can live with.

We used to have a huge-a_s awning with take-apart support poles, but finally sold it at the swap meet. Just too large and cumbersom to store in our size of boat.

LB

#40 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

I ordered the Ronstan Air Arch...I'll post thoughts and pics once I get it.

#41 puddin

puddin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Red:

Like the PNW??

Snow level was 5500' last night. Junuary.

The Ronstan cover... Saw the sales mini at the chandlery... It looked like quite the contraption. Reminds me of the old backpacks that had a million straps and adjustments for very possible body shape, load, and contingency... Theory was great, but they were just a pita. Redviking's rig looks great though!

#42 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Blue Performance makes some really nice and not too expensive sunshades. I have a big one that is really just a glorified tarp, but I bought a cool one for my parent's boat that has an X of tent poles supporting the square shaped cover, and hangs from the main halyard. Covers there whole cockpit, about the size of a bar umbrella and folds up really small. I'd recommend it to anyone.

#43 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

The Ronstan cover... Saw the sales mini at the chandlery... It looked like quite the contraption. Reminds me of the old backpacks that had a million straps and adjustments for very possible body shape, load, and contingency...

I agree it looks like a nightmare but once I have it set up, adjusted and marked for one boat...the set up should be quick and easy.

I think.

#44 Cavelamb

Cavelamb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

I posted this picture of a sistership's boom "tent" over in the Catari thread,

Posted Image

Slick?
What kind of boat is this?
It sure looks a lot like mine.
I know it's not, but so similar I just gotta ask!

#45 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Cave, it's an Ericson built Olson 911SE. A Carl Schumacher design. 29'-11" LOA and built to the MORC rule.

A bit more basic info: http://sailboatdata....p?class_id=1559

#46 wick

wick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

Looked at the Ronstan Air Arch. They don't make them short enough for our boat.
Had this 1.5 oz shade sewn up and use our whisker pole and our boat hook (with a PVC extension) to stretch it out. With a small boat we are always looking for ways to reduce the extra pieces we are having to stow on board.

We used to use umbrellas, and still keep one for short lunch stops.

Attached Files

#47 redviking

redviking

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

A couple of my neighbors have the Ronstand and it takes them half an hour each way on and off... Great for a liveaboard that never goes anywhere. Did see one get ripped after a storm. The guy that invented them is a sailor and had his boat in my marina for awhile. He had one!

#48 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Looks great on the deck!!

Quality hardware and materials...I think it should meet our needs quite nicely..

Attached Files

#49 wick

wick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

Quality hardware and materials...I think it should meet our needs quite nicely..

Did you get a chance to rig the Ronstan tent on the boat yet?

#50 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Did you get a chance to rig the Ronstan tent on the boat yet?

I leave tomorrow for a few days down the river...I will report with pics.

#51 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

I still have to adjust the straps better on the forward edge. Once I get it right I'll mark the straps and then setup will be breeze.

I doubt this design is quite as "universal" as it is made out to be, but for our rig it works perfect. The entire set up took 14 minutes (you asked) and the quality of the product seems first class.

The fact that the cockpit and companionway we sheltered from the sun made a HUGE difference to the comfort level both in the cockpit and below deck.

The very big downside is that having this comfortable space meant everyone found their way to our cockpit and drank all my beer.

Attached Files

#52 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

After spending a week down the French river with this tent I wouldn't be without it...it made a huge difference in the comfort level aboard GK in some brutally hot days. Not only was the cockpit more comfortable the cabin was much cooler at night.

The arch design wasn't the least bit claustrophobic feeling and seemed to induce a wind tunnel effect when swinging at anchor. I could move forward on deck with a minimum of effort and had I installed the tent higher I likely would have not needed to bend over at all, but would lose some shade as a result.

We moved the boats mid week on a calm day and travelled for 90 minutes with the tent up. Kinda like a nautical covered wagon.

The only negative is there is a VERY slow leak in one bladder (a few pumps every 24 hours)...but Ronstan is taking care of that.

Conclusion....this is a VERY well built and well designed unit. The large reinforcements at the stress points are all triple stitched heavy duty (leather??) material. The straps and buckles are high end, and the double layered tent stays MUCH cooler to the touch than our silver tarp. The load bearing straps run the full length and width of the cover so stress is not put on the shade fabric. It does weep a bit in a heavy rain, but that was expected. No dew in the cockpit in the morning was also a nice bonus.

The simple fabrication of rectangular strips of material clipped to the lifelines would make this a very private space as well provide additional protection on very hot or cold days.

We also used a lot less sunscreen...I hate that gooey crap.

Half a boat buck really well spent.

#53 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Well, we went cruising on S'agapo.... a full report on all that later. I just want to say that the Shade Tree (link) awning was OUTSTANDING! Here's a picture of it in action with S'agapo hard at work doing "cruising":

Posted Image

#54 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Beau

I think that's every bit as good as the Ronstan...likely pluses and minuses to both types, but that looks very well done.

#55 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Gate, it worked so well we're thinking of buying the matching foredeck version. Shade is NICE! BV

#56 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Both of these are sweet setups. We discovered the joys of cockpit covers when a dock neighbor gave us an old sunbrella cover last weekend. It looked a bit hillbilly (ill fitting and wrong color), but it worked great.

I like the Shade Tree because they provide a way to use them with Lazy Jacks. When we race they come off but we would not cruise the 367 without them.

Beau, your boat has a nice ass.

#57 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Gate, it worked so well we're thinking of buying the matching foredeck version. Shade is NICE! BV

I'm thinking of making one...by the time I get anything here from the US it ends up costing me 50% more.

Free trade my ass.

#58 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Gate,

Didn't you see?? The average Canadian is now more wealthy than the average American. So smugly hand over the loons.

#59 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

I like the Shade Tree because they provide a way to use them with Lazy Jacks. When we race they come off but we would not cruise the 367 without them.

Jack

I just lowered the main, tied it, and put the cover on as usual...then I slacked the lazy jacks and drew them forward to the mast. Easy and no interference with the arch.

And I agree, I wouldn't cruise without lazy jacks. After 5 seasons my main sail is still stiff and flakes like plywood.

#60 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Gate,

You could easily make a ShadeTree type of awning out of carbon segmented tent poles. It's the tricky way they attach to the lifelines that is really cool. That would be hard to match. But the bowed carbon poles are easy.

Jack,

I do like my boat's ass - my Admiral tells me that S'agapo's is the only ass I'm allowed to rub, for sanding purposes.

BV

#61 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

BV:
I'm going to test sail the PT 11 nester at the Perry Rendezvous in a couple of weeeks. I'll give you a full report. It would look so bad on your stern.
And I agree. That is a fine looking fanny.

#62 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Well, we went cruising on S'agapo.... a full report on all that later. I just want to say that the Shade Tree (link) awning was OUTSTANDING! Here's a picture of it in action with S'agapo hard at work doing "cruising":

Posted Image

Gaastra, and I think Ronstan, made an awning that looks a lot like this one, but had inflatable battens - they used the same technology as is used in kitesurfing kites.

#63 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Posted Image

Gaastra, and I think Ronstan, made an awning that looks a lot like this one, but had inflatable battens - they used the same technology as is used in kitesurfing kites.

Um...the Ronstan unit is what Gatekeeper has been raving on about for the entire thread.

#64 SpongeDeckSquareFoil

SpongeDeckSquareFoil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

.......We moved the boats mid week on a calm day and travelled for 90 minutes with the tent up. Kinda like a nautical covered wagon.....

There wouldn't, by chance, be photos of the boat cruising with the awning in place along with the vertical dingy, would there?

#65 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Posted Image

Um...the Ronstan unit is what Gatekeeper has been raving on about for the entire thread.

but it doesn't have the inflatable battens.

#66 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

There wouldn't, by chance, be photos of the boat cruising with the awning in place along with the vertical dingy, would there?

Bugger off.

Posted Image

Cruising gear stowed and tonight Gatekeeper pounded in 2nd boat of 12...she can also be a fast racer. How many boats can you name that can cruise in such comfort and race well? Behind us were 3 C&C's, one Express 30 and too many Tanzers to count.

Make fun, but when we meet at the start line, you may change your tune.

Great boat Bob!! Jill and I are grateful to have a Perry boat, even if she is less than beautiful in full cruise attire.

#67 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Gate,

Boats that are all dolled ("tarted" as your lot might say) for cruising aren't "less beautiful". They are purposeful, dedicated and doing their job. I can't think of a more beautiful boat than some 40 year old glass boat with the awning up, kids all over the place, beer cooler on the stern, BBQ hanging from the rail with smoke pouring out from the sausages, wind scoop over the fore hatch, and six happy slightly sloshed adults in the cockpit sailing up a river on a warm day. I'll take that view ANY DAY over some buttoned down, everything perfect, everything put away, "yacht" with the entire crew in matching shirts, shoes, shorts and hats.

A boat doing what it was designed to do is a thing of beauty! It's certainly a hell of a lot better looking that the thousands of harbor queens I see with their mooring lines untouched for month after month after month. Those stationary lumps are the ugly boats, not yours.

Beau

#68 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

gaastra inflatabe cover

the "battens" are inflatable struts, using the same technology as kitesurfing kites with inflatable leading edges and struts.

the battens can be difficult to store, on some boats.

Attached Files

#69 SereneSpeed

SereneSpeed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:this stuff and other stuff

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

gaastra inflatabe cover

the "battens" are inflatable struts, using the same technology as kitesurfing kites with inflatable leading edges and struts.

RTFT

#70 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

gaastra inflatabe cover

The "battens" on our cover from ShadeTree are those carbon tent poles with a bungee cord inside 'em. They pull apart into 24" segments and all four of 'em together make up a bundle that is about 24" long and 5" in diameter. We roll them up inside the awning when putting it back in its bag. Complete package is about 32" long and 10" in diameter, weighs about 15 pounds or so.

BV

#71 breezetrees

breezetrees

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

I found a mini-ez-up type of canopy that fits great on my Laser 28. I put tennis balls on the feet so it wouldn't scratch the deck (like grampa's walker), and tied the weather legs to the lifelines. I can slide it forward and aft between the stern pulpit and the shrouds to maximize the shade for where we're sitting. My mainsheet has a shackle on the traveler; I release it and tie the boom off to a shroud and get it out of the way when we're anchored, but if you have a cabin-top mainsheet maybe you could just ease the sheet out all the way. It sets up really fast and is rigid in the breeze, and folded it is quite small. The boat is noticeably more stable at anchor with the tent's windage aft.

It has a 6x6 foot roof with about 7x7 ft footprint. I paid $69 a couple of years ago, it's better than a boom tent for our boat.

link to quikshade.com

Posted Image

#72 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

7070, if you look at the link in Gates very first post you might notice its the same cover on the same boat. They are one in the same!!

Breeze, I'd say you got what you paid for.

#73 tigger12

tigger12

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

The "battens" on our cover from ShadeTree are those carbon tent poles with a bungee cord inside 'em. They pull apart into 24" segments and all four of 'em together make up a bundle that is about 24" long and 5" in diameter. We roll them up inside the awning when putting it back in its bag. Complete package is about 32" long and 10" in diameter, weighs about 15 pounds or so.

BV

Custom made tent poles here:

http://tentpoletechnologies.com/

They shipped mine to the hotel I stayed at for the Seattle Boat Show. Interesting conversation at the border on the way home, along the lines of "And exactly why are you buying tent poles in January?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users