220 replies to this topic

#1 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

After a fair amount of deliberation, I have decided that the Viper fits the bill for what I want in a sports boat, fun to sail in all conditions, small crew, easily launched and handled both on and off the water, economical to buy and maintain and with a good one design fleet overseas and with 10 boats in WA and building, great prospects for the same in Aus.
So to get things going, I have become Rondar’s agent on the east coast of Aus. We have a container leaving the UK in July (September arrival). As an incentive to get the class going, I have negotiated a 12% discount for boats ordered prior to shipping.
So subject to any exchange rate shocks, a fully set up Viper on trailer with all fittings and ropes, full cover and Hyde Sails is currently $35,000. We can also supply ex sails if anyone wants to go with their local sailmaker.

PM me if you would like more info.

#2 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

wow !

predicting this will win SMS regattas on the east coast

& yet one more design for goggles to lose sleep over

#3 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:00 AM

Is a viper like an sb3?

#4 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

Is a viper like an sb3?

Yeah but an older design. :lol:

BB is a visionary

#5 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

Whilst good luck with it rawhide, but after the banning in asba fleets of symetrics cause of differing performance curves, i dare say the fraccy bag will be next on the list!

There is still OD like the sb3 to fall back on!

#6 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:01 AM

incorrect, everything after the "good luck with it R" has no factual basis, nor anything to do with aus east coast Vipers

This has been a long time coming and if the West Aus results are anything to go by, there will be a major rejig in the podium results on the east coast

#7 oregami

oregami

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

Great news Rawhide.
The Viper is an excellent boat for Australia. It is more than competitive on SMS and it's OD
Great price you've got considering it includes harken fitout and all the extras others charge for!!!
We've got two new owners in WA in the last month too.

#8 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

Is a viper like an sb3?

As usual TS your insight is uncanny. Exactly like a SB3. Only fast, sexy as hell, fun to sail, a growing OD class and value for money. But other than that just the same!

#9 AnchorSteam

AnchorSteam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

Building a OD SB fleet in the Sydney area would be fantastic. Also, the boats could be dry-sailed on Pittwater, which is difficult to impossible on Sydney Harbour. Another bonus.

#10 PurplePrincess

PurplePrincess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

Awesome luck Rawhide, quit an undertaking to bring a new class in.

I hadn’t heard of the Viper so had to look it up http://www.viper640....home-mainmenu-1

Looks like it could be a wickedly fun little speedy boat with the asso in a breeze 

PP

#11 paulg

paulg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

Good luck with that Rawhide.... I had the Viper in NZ and it was great fun....was a shame that there weren't others here to race against but division racing was still good...Hope it takes off over there - the racing they have in the US must be fantastic with such good fleets...

#12 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

incorrect, everything after the "good luck with it R" has no factual basis, nor anything to do with aus east coast Vipers

This has been a long time coming and if the West Aus results are anything to go by, there will be a major rejig in the podium results on the east coast

Hey GS, while I understand you defending what you believe is right, don't give anyone any ammo to turn this thread into another sh*tfight bitch fest. Lets just wish Rawhide well and wish we had the $ to get into what will be an awesome OD boat in AUS. SMS is secondary to OD. we all know OD is king over any rating rule, and these things could just be the ticket that sports boats on OZ need for mass exception in an otherwise keelboat dominated scene. Hell i'm tempted to sell the 5oh and the Tasar to get one....... but unfortunately, I would still fall short..... :(

Anyone want to buy one and let me steer? I will supply sails!!!!!! :lol:

Good luck Rawhide, you may be on a winner, what are you going to call your boat??? "Expelled from school", or maybe "pre-school", what about "failed school"????

#13 PurplePrincess

PurplePrincess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Awesome luck Rawhide, quite an undertaking to bring a new class in.

I hadn’t heard of the Viper so had to look it up http://www.viper640....home-mainmenu-1

Looks like it could be a wickedly fun little speedy boat with the asso in a breeze 

PP

seems an "e" got edited somehow along the way that makes a big difference to my statement...I just put it back in!

#14 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hey GS, while I understand you defending what you believe is right, don't give anyone any ammo to turn this thread into another sh*tfight bitch fest. Lets just wish Rawhide well and wish we had the $ to get into what will be an awesome OD boat in AUS. SMS is secondary to OD. we all know OD is king over any rating rule, and these things could just be the ticket that sports boats on OZ need for mass exception in an otherwise keelboat dominated scene. Hell i'm tempted to sell the 5oh and the Tasar to get one....... but unfortunately, I would still fall short..... :(

Anyone want to buy one and let me steer? I will supply sails!!!!!! :lol:

Good luck Rawhide, you may be on a winner, what are you going to call your boat??? "Expelled from school", or maybe "pre-school", what about "failed school"????

Sail maker or Ex WM??.. Feeling your pain on buying a boat... Dont, you have any balls... Do... u... Make to much money..... :lol: usual BS

#15 Cheap Jibes

Cheap Jibes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Seriously great looking boats Rawhide.

As you said they are sexy and fast and I've often wondered why we hadn't seen any on the east coast of Australia before now. I couldn't agree with you more that comparisons with the SB3 are way off the mark. Anyway well done for having the ticker to be the first. You'll probably ruffle a few feathers in the sportsboat fraternity, but if you want to do a bit of two boat training count me in.

Pretty sure I can talk Tom B and Rob B into joining me on one of your spare boats ..... ha ha.

#16 vego1049

vego1049

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Rawhide...... definitely in the market but not convinced is the answer?

#17 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

jeez

cheaper and faster than SBs were 15 years ago*, with a Trailer, Sails and full Cover,

cheaper than some dinghys !

"SHOW ME THE MONEY' i'd be hollerin'

---------------------------------------------------

*in dollar adjusted terms even cheaper, half price

#18 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

I am sure the decission will be much easier once the first container arrives and the boats can be appreciated in the flesh. That is one of the reasons we have the 12% discount for orders prior to shipping to take the angst out of the decision.

I tell you what though no one is more excited than me to get there hands on one.

#19 Edake

Edake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

I am sure the decission will be much easier once the first container arrives and the boats can be appreciated in the flesh. That is one of the reasons we have the 12% discount for orders prior to shipping to take the angst out of the decision.

I tell you what though no one is more excited than me to get there hands on one.

Excited but need to get rid of a boat from my fleet to get into this nonisaf boat right?

#20 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:21 AM

Excited but need to get rid of a boat from my fleet to get into this nonisaf boat right?

Trade in,,then you can have a fleet. I'll start you!

#21 oregami

oregami

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:11 AM

Vipers have had a pretty good run ofresults so far in the Western Australian Sportsboat Winter Sailing at SOPYC.

Results on SMS have been:

Race 1 – Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, T750, Viper

Race 2 – Viper, Shaw 650, Viper, Viper, Viper, R8, T750, Viper, T7

Race Three on the weekend was a bit of a lottery…. The Vipers shouldn't have placed so well….. but that's sailing.

Race 3 – Viper, Viper,Shaw 650, Viper T7, T7, T750, R8, Viper

#22 Edake

Edake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

The 40 footer or the 15 footer?

#23 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Vipers have had a pretty good run ofresults so far in the Western Australian Sportsboat Winter Sailing at SOPYC.

Results on SMS have been:

Race 1 – Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, T750, Viper

Race 2 – Viper, Shaw 650, Viper, Viper, Viper, R8, T750, Viper, T7

Race Three on the weekend was a bit of a lottery…. The Vipers shouldn't have placed so well….. but that's sailing.

Race 3 – Viper, Viper,Shaw 650, Viper T7, T7, T750, R8, Viper

and here's my forecast for September if its blowing

Race 1 - Canuck Viper, Aussie Viper, Seppo Viper , Bermuda Viper , Pommie Viper , Aussie Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper,Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper,Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper,Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper,Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper, Viper.

See y'all there.....and looking fwd to first Viper worlds in Sydney (or Freemantle, or Hammo Island).

#24 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

The 40 footer or the 15 footer?

I can bank roll u one EdAke pm for details & cunning plan !! B) We get hyde sails or go with yr preferred dude ?
Only one condition NO NOrth Freakin Sails allowed ! LoLz

#25 roon

roon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:03 AM

Nice work Rawhide......looking at some of the vids on Youtube...I'm thinking you're going to have plenty of fun on your new toy. Good luck building the fleets; you've presented a great deal for the first boats....I'm sure they'll get snapped up real quick!! Keep the updates coming.....

#26 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

I'd prefer the Viper to the Melges 24 or the new J/70 because I don't like legs out hiking in such small boats.

Rawhide: East Aus is a big area. Are you focussed on one state or area?

Sydney has a Melges 24 fleet at Pittwater, but Sydney Harbour seems to be short of one design sports boat racing. There is a lot of mixed fleet racing at various clubs.

Why are people still sailing Dragons and Eggshells on Sydney Harbour when they could be sailing sports boats?

#27 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hey Rawhide I think you have just broken Team Wilds heart with this thread!!Posted ImagePosted Image

Where has he gone?

#28 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'd prefer the Viper to the Melges 24 or the new J/70 because I don't like legs out hiking in such small boats.

Sydney has a Melges 24 fleet at Pittwater, but Sydney Harbour seems to be short of one design sports boat racing. There is a lot of mixed fleet racing at various clubs.

Why are people still sailing Dragons and Eggshells on Sydney Harbour when they could be sailing sports boats?

I am based at Pittwater, so between Vipers and Melges there should be a fair bit of sport boat action. It helps that it is one of the few places with hardstand capacity and good boat ramps. I am looking to do most of the regattas so will be travelling around a bit. I think the big problem on the harbour is finding somewhere to launch.

#29 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hey Rawhide I think you have just broken Team Wilds heart with this thread!!Posted ImagePosted Image

Where has he gone?

i think it was always a big ask to get one design up for a boat requireing 6 crew and with a fair price tag. the Viper is a much better proposition for most of us. All you need is two mates and $12k each.

#30 oregami

oregami

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

Mambo,
Flights and Boats booked, house organised, Vipermobile rented....

1st, last or in between .....we're coming over to have a shit load of fun....
We're bringing the "Speed Puck" trophy with us and a case of Australian Red...... Snake Charmer of course .... and hopefully we won't give it all to you sepos...

Attached Files

#31 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Where has he gone?

i think it was always a big ask to get one design up for a boat requireing 6 crew and with a fair price tag. the Viper is a much better proposition for most of us. All you need is two mates and $12k each.

So it comes with 3 tillers then?Posted Image

#32 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:04 AM

I am based at Pittwater, so between Vipers and Melges there should be a fair bit of sport boat action. It helps that it is one of the few places with hardstand capacity and good boat ramps. I am looking to do most of the regattas so will be travelling around a bit. I think the big problem on the harbour is finding somewhere to launch.

RANSA seems to have the most sportsboats on Sydney Harbour.

But it's very strange that the yacht clubs are not more progressive. They have Etchells, Dragons, Ynglings (WTF!) and J/24s on their hardstands, but no sportboats.

#33 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

Where has he gone?

He is around, a few transactions have gone down in the meantime! :ph34r:

#34 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

Where has he gone?

He is around, a few transactions have gone down in the meantime! :ph34r:

Does that mean the fastest sports boat in Australia was not fast enough for him?

#35 DanimalNZ

DanimalNZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

are there any from VIC looking into these?

there are murmourings of a building 505 fleet here - but fuck that, if there is a critical mass in VIC i'd be keen;

#36 Feral

Feral

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

there are murmourings of a building 505 fleet here - but fuck that, if there is a critical mass in VIC i'd be keen;

Probably cheaper than a new 5oh as well.

#37 Shaw-650

Shaw-650

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Probably cheaper than a new 5oh as well.

Get a shaw... better mixed SB racing and more east coast boats than vipers.

#38 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Mambo,
Flights and Boats booked, house organised, Vipermobile rented....

1st, last or in between .....we're coming over to have a shit load of fun....
We're bringing the "Speed Puck" trophy with us and a case of Australian Red...... Snake Charmer of course .... and hopefully we won't give it all to you sepos...

Posted Image

Now that is what I call a trophy!

#39 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

You will all have a great time with the Viper. Best of luck. Sounds like some things are the same around the world, so here are a few lessons learnt from when we launched the Vipers on East Coast of US.

1. We didn't displace the existing classes. The Eggshell fleet is as strong around here as ever and includes a couple of Viper owners. What happened initially is that the Viper attracted more people into owning a race boat. Folks who were good sailors but sitting on the sidelines came back into the sport because it was fresh and it was fun. It was easy to set up and it was affordable. There has been some migration as some of the older classes have faded on their own accord and the Viper has been the beneficiary of that, but Im guessing that at least 2/3rd of East Coast US Viper owners didnt currently own a boat when they bought a Viper.

2. It is surprising how few boats it takes to have a fun fleet in the Viper. I came from a local fleet that had 20 boats on the start line every weekend and joined the 5 boat local Viper fleet. I don't know if it was the speed, the downwind passing lanes and tactics, the equal one design nature of the boat or the people in the class but that little early Viper fleet was great racing. The following year I came from a 35 boat NAs where I finished 3rd two weeks later to the first Viper NAs with 8 boats (and came 4th) and I got to tell you, the Viper was better racing and I have been hooked ever since. This year I will be attending the 60 boat Viper NAs and I will be racing against 7 of those original 8. Friendly rivalry doesn't begin to describe the good mates I have met in the class.

3. The people. The class has done a really good job of having an unofficial rule about leaving your ego at the door. A lot of very good sailors are relaxed at Viper events and really encouraging and helpful to the rest of us. Partly it is the boat. If you've had a bad score on the race course, you've still had a lot of fun sailing fast and planing down waves so you can have a bad result and a great day! Of course its nice to get a good score but its not a heartbreak if you dont.

4. Its a fun handicap boat. Take a tough number. It doesnt matter. In some conditions the Viper is unbeatable. In other conditions, you cant make the number but you have a hellva lot of fun spinning alongside the bigger boats. They called us affectionately, the "gnats"

#40 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

It just takes someone to kick it off in Vic and the masses will follow. And in the mean time there are SMS regattas and we will be down for G'long and anything else worth while. With three drivers interstate regattas are never far away.

#41 Edake

Edake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

It just takes someone to kick it off in Vic and the masses will follow. And in the mean time there are SMS regattas and we will be down for G'long and anything else worth while. With three drivers interstate regattas are never far away.

When can I come and have a sail in one Rawhide?

#42 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

One thing for fuckallsure....I'm looking forward to a bit a VIper sailing down there. I'll plan a long trip so I can sail bi-coastally between Sydney and Perth. Very good news ideed!

#43 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

When can I come and have a sail in one Rawhide?

Planning to have the first container here in September, so plenty of oportunity to come for a sail on my boat at RPA or any of the sports boat regattas.

#44 AnchorSteam

AnchorSteam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

Am seriously considering it. Having a co-owner would make it a no brainer. Anyone interested in discussing to see if it might work, let me know. I have also been considering a Shaw650 or T7 and just need to make a final decision and go sailing.

#45 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:17 AM

Am seriously considering it. Having a co-owner would make it a no brainer. Anyone interested in discussing to see if it might work, let me know. I have also been considering a Shaw650 or T7 and just need to make a final decision and go sailing.

It looks like only one boat left in the first container, so don't take too long to make your mind up.

#46 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

It looks like only one boat left in the first container, so don't take too long to make your mind up.

Fantastic!

But not to worry, there are more where those come from Posted Image

#47 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Dayum...that was fast !!!

First Viper Worlds in OZ?

#48 fairdinkum

fairdinkum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Dayum...that was fast !!!

First Viper Worlds in OZ?

I want dibs on first Viper Worlds to be in Bermuda...

#49 Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:if you aint 1st your last

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Buy a shaw-650 there faster and they dont fall apart......

#50 ZeusProject

ZeusProject

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Neither do t7 s

#51 Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:if you aint 1st your last

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

buy anything but a viper then....

#52 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

RB

it would be stupid to turn informative threads in a cyber slanging match

as much, and more can land back on your choice of design as dished out, whether there is any factual basis or not ( thats how it works online)

it's a lose-lose situation for BOTH parties, GEDDIT ( both fleet wise and financial)

stick to the merits of each boat

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Of course a "Talk it up Cup" trash talk in a regatta thread lead up is cool, but settled when the resuilts go UP !

#53 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

RB

it would be stupid to turn informative threads in a cyber slanging match

as much, and more can land back on your choice of design as dished out, whether there is any factual basis or not ( thats how it works online)

it's a lose-lose situation for BOTH parties, GEDDIT ( both fleet wise and financial)

stick to the merits of each boat

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Of course a "Talk it up Cup" trash talk in a regatta thread lead up is cool, but settled when the resuilts go UP !

Ha ha ha Gold johnny!

#54 oregami

oregami

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Neither do Vipers… Don't know where you got that one from RB.

Been sailing the Vipers for three solid seasons. We've bashed and crashed them around in the Freo Doctor and I am more than impressed in the build quality of the Viper ……and the Shaw is just as good.

Hulls are great and the masts are rock solid.

Yes Shaw 650's are faster…. (Not always on SMS though)

But if that's your sole criteria….. you should trade in Octopussy and buy a Stealth 850, like Raptor.

It's faster ……

#55 ZeusProject

ZeusProject

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

And the raptor wins on SMS so is a great option for all speed and trophys yeehaa. One design raptor ?

#56 oregami

oregami

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Looks hard to beat by anybody at the moment....

One design...... mmmm..... could be expensive !!!

You'd probably get 2 or 3 Vipers for the same price.

#57 ZeusProject

ZeusProject

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Be cool though

#58 ZeusProject

ZeusProject

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

You may need two or three vipers to tag team it off the coarse

#59 oregami

oregami

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

Tag team sailing..... Now there's an idea!!!

We've got the trash talking.....

We've got the names.... the Turkey Slapper, Zeus, Raptor, The Pornstar, Octopussy

(Kiss and Don't Forget Alice might need name changes)

Imagine the sailing gear and masks........

It's got it allllllllllll......

Attached Files

#60 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

The only way a T7 can win if we bring back the on water biff!

Im up for it, need to get a few of these lighter boats culled off the waterways! :P

#61 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

heya MG

when might the next container come in ? early or mid 2013 ?

#62 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

heya MG

when might the next container come in ? early or mid 2013 ?

Haven’t really thought about the second container yet. As an update the first four are in production now with the container scheduled for shipping on 4 August. Assuming they are all sold then we can start on the next four, but early next year sounds about right. There will still be a discount but not as much as for the first container, but these buyers will have the benefit of being able to go for a test sail.

#63 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

Vipers getting closer, first three hulls complete and being fitted out, fourth in mould. Looking good for next season regattas. Has anyone put together a list of what is on?

#64 Sandgroper Yachting

Sandgroper Yachting

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Vipers getting closer, first three hulls complete and being fitted out, fourth in mould. Looking good for next season regattas. Has anyone put together a list of what is on?

ASBA Regatta Calendar

#65 AnchorSteam

AnchorSteam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

4 Vipers cosy in a container on their way. OD racing in, hopefully, October.

#66 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

ETA 10 October so all looking good so far. First three boats sold in Sydney so a good start for the first east coast fleet.

#67 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

ETA 10 October so all looking good so far. First three boats sold in Sydney so a good start for the first east coast fleet.

West Aussies were great fun at the Marblehead NAs last week. Does this mean we might see some East Aussies at Houston in 2013?

#68 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

West Aussies were great fun at the Marblehead NAs last week. Does this mean we might see some East Aussies at Houston in 2013?

Well as long as it is warm you can count me in!

#69 AnchorSteam

AnchorSteam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

Anyone know the ball size for the Viper trailers? Adding hitch to car this week.

#70 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:10 AM

Anyone know the ball size for the Viper trailers? Adding hitch to car this week.

Most I have seen are 50mm

#71 boneboy

boneboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

Well as long as it is warm you can count me in!

I guess "warm" is relative, but I can pretty much assure you that Galveston bay is warm by almost anyone's standard in september and october

#72 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

US NODC Coastal Water Temperatures:
Galveston Bay Entrance,
North Jetty, TX 83.1
(09/11/2012 12:48 UTC)

Accuweather Forecast:

High of 87 degrees. Winds East 11 knots, gusting 19 knots.

#73 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

Galveston Bay Entrance,
North Jetty, TX 83.1

Accuweather Forecast:

That's about 30 deg in real numbers, thats warm enough for me Let me know the dates so I can lock it in.

#74 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

Galveston Bay Entrance,
North Jetty, TX 83.1

Accuweather Forecast:

That's about 30 deg in real numbers, thats warm enough for me Let me know the dates so I can lock it in.

October. I'd have to look at website.
Remember this is Texas. Do you have mechanical bull riding in Australia? You might want to practice.

#75 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

our cow 'ranches' are bigger than the Texan ones ( the size of Vermont all up actually)

we'll be orright mayte

#76 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

New boat looks cool in the flesh. Really nice finish. Looks like it'll splash this week?

#77 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Galveston Bay Entrance,
North Jetty, TX 83.1

Accuweather Forecast:

Remember this is Texas. Do you have mechanical bull riding in Australia? You might want to practice.

we have cars here no need for mechanical bulls, but you are welcome to bring yours just dont take it on the motorway.

#78 PurplePrincess

PurplePrincess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

New boat looks cool in the flesh. Really nice finish. Looks like it'll splash this week?

Looks like it splashed today....saw Rawhide heading out when we got back into the club today

#79 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

Looks like it splashed today....saw Rawhide heading out when we got back into the club today

Yep first sail sunday afternoon and what a cracker. Two up in around 8 to 12 knots, man I love that Viper, we had a ball, it is both easier and faster than I had hoped for. It has been quite a while since I have been sailing when not racing or training, but I can see a lot more just sailing for the fun of it on the Viper.

Last boat sold on sunday so all four now coming to RPAYC. Time to place an order for another container.

#80 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

Enjoy her, lot's of fun times ahead! :)

#81 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Galveston Bay Entrance,
North Jetty, TX 83.1

Accuweather Forecast:

we have cars here no need for mechanical bulls, but you are welcome to bring yours just dont take it on the motorway.

Mechanical Bull riding will likely be used in the elimination round of the Houston NAs. The class has an in-house orthopedic surgeon (who can vouch for the elimination process) and an emmy winning commentator lined up for the event. We are eagerly looking forward to the first NOR for the first Texan NAs.

#82 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Well, I for one think we shoudl run the first Viper 640 intergallactics in East Oz. For those of you who don't know...we can't call it 'Worlds' without ISAF's lawyers sending us a letter.

So here's to the Viper IG's for 2014?

What club are we sailing out of Mark?

#83 mentalasanything

mentalasanything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

Try "Worldwide" as they dont own that one.

#84 Port Tack Start

Port Tack Start

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

Make it the Prestige Worldwide regatta and you could use Boats N' Hoes as the theme song...

https://www.youtube....h?v=o8T095mFdW8

#85 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Well, I for one think we shoudl run the first Viper 640 intergallactics in East Oz. For those of you who don't know...we can't call it 'Worlds' without ISAF's lawyers sending us a letter.

Souns like a great idea, Royal Prince Alfred at Pittwater would be more than happy to host them on the Barrenjoey circle. Send over a container of new boats for charter and we can sell them here after the regatta,

So what do we need to do to get international status and run a worlds?

#86 richiec

richiec

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

New boat looked great mate - must have been a buzz pushing away from the crane at RPA - and hoisting the shiny new jib. I am super impressed with the finish on these boats. Good luck with it.

#87 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

Souns like a great idea, Royal Prince Alfred at Pittwater would be more than happy to host them on the Barrenjoey circle. Send over a container of new boats for charter and we can sell them here after the regatta,

So what do we need to do to get international status and run a worlds?

According to ISAF, the "right" to hold a world championship for a boat the size of a Viper requires a fleet of at least 7 boats based in each of 4 countries spread across two continents. At least 25 boats must show to the regatta.
The Viper has > 7 boats in USA, Australia and Canada. We would only need to see some additional boats in the UK , or France and in theory we would be there.

However I doubt that anyone in the Viper Class wants to become an ISAF international class. Leaving aside the approx $140 per boat royalty fee that the class would have to pay to ISAF, ISAF regatta requirements can add north of $30,000+ to the cost of running a regatta. That's a lot of beer money.
We would need to require all Viper owners to be members of their national sailing association. We are big supporters of US sailing. We think it is worth joining but we dont like to force anyone to join. We would have to submit an annual report to ISAF. Any and all class rule changes would have to be approved by ISAF in writing. Regattas would require International juries and an international measurer and the entry fees would have to pick up their travel and accomodation.ISAF would have to approve our choice of builder. The Member National Association (eg US Sailing or Aussie Sailing) would have to approve choice of regatta location. Once you are an ISAF class, you have signed a legally binding contract to abide by ISAF regulations.
The benefits are...Errrr.....Ummm......hang on, I'll get back to you on that.

I know it is accepted wisdom that classes do not use the title "world championship" unless they are an ISAF international class. It is not clear how they enforce that legally. However they could prevent the MNA from providing judging, appeals etc. The exact wording is

"ISAF approval is required for any event that is described as a World Championship, uses the word “World” in the title of the event, or any of the promoters, organizers or any other organization officially connected with the event, represents or holds out in any way that the event is a World Championship or does the foregoing in such a way that the event is reasonably perceived to be a World Championship".

No point in disturbing sleeping dogs, so I would suggest building kudos around a "Viper 640 International Gold Cup

#88 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

I know it is accepted wisdom that classes do not use the title "world championship" unless they are an ISAF international class. It is not clear how they enforce that legally. However they could prevent the MNA from providing judging, appeals etc. The exact wording is

"ISAF approval is required for any event that is described as a World Championship, uses the word “World” in the title of the event, or any of the promoters, organizers or any other organization officially connected with the event, represents or holds out in any way that the event is a World Championship or does the foregoing in such a way that the event is reasonably perceived to be a World Championship".

No point in disturbing sleeping dogs, so I would suggest building kudos around a "Viper 640 International Gold Cup

As I understand it, by using the RRS which ISAF owns you are bound to their rules, one of which you have here.

Don't think they have any rights on the word Global but I do prefer the sound of International Gold Cup. As long as first prize really is a gold cup.....

#89 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

As I understand it, by using the RRS which ISAF owns you are bound to their rules, one of which you have here.

Don't think they have any rights on the word Global but I do prefer the sound of International Gold Cup. As long as first prize really is a gold cup.....

Gold Cup it is then. I am sure we can supply a genuine gold cup, just don't polish it too much! :lol:

#90 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

18s race for the 70 odd y.o. * ** World Trophy, fer instance

its in the form of the world so no-one can argue that , i.e. a silver globe

whats isaf gonna say it's an 'Earth' trophy ???

anyway it precedes isaf/iyru by decades

#91 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

How does Larry Get to Use the term "World Series?"

Maybe ISAF just owns the word "World(s)" <plural> ?

I spoke to the M24 pres who's hosting the worlds in SF in 2013. They have to fly judges from a few different countries, biz class, put them up in swanky hotels and give them a handsome per diem. These same judges are members of the inner elite of ISAF. Nice Perks that has. Doesn't this stuff just happen in the 3rd world?

I like the sound of Viper Intergalactics

or we could call it the FASI SDLROW

#92 fairdinkum

fairdinkum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

The RBYC in Bermuda has a great "Gold Cup", but I doubt they would let it be used for a Viper event.
Although there are some "mini" replicas kicking around...

Posted Image

#93 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Man....that thing will hold a metric SHITLOAD of pickles :-D

It needs a nice "Core Composites" carbon base though!

#94 Jethrow

Jethrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Who was out sailing AUS 184 tonight. We were coming back from the harbour regatta around 7 tonight and saw you sailing in. We were going to offer a tow but you looked like you were having a nice evening sail so left you to it. Looked good though...

#95 AnchorSteam

AnchorSteam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

Out in the breeze we had a nice ride, but had to rock her home to the hoist. It was her first splash down. We expect 186 to go out next weekend with racing to follow. We also chatted about a try the boat day in December for people interested in crewing. More to come.

#96 TD Floater

TD Floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Come and try the City of Canberra Regatta this weekend vs VX1, Elliott 7's (Last 3 Nat Champs) and Magics.

#97 oregami

oregami

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Fantastic to see the Viper hitting the Aus east coast.
Hard to beat the package - one design racing, competitive on SMS too, and the whole kit at around $36,000.
The boat reminded me why I loved sailing as a kid..... it's bloody great fun..... and my teenage kids, who sail on the Viper agree too...
I just heard there is one heading to the banana benders and one to Melbourne too.

#98 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Fantastic to see the Viper hitting the Aus east coast.
Hard to beat the package - one design racing, competitive on SMS too, and the whole kit at around $36,000.
The boat reminded me why I loved sailing as a kid..... it's bloody great fun..... and my teenage kids, who sail on the Viper agree too...
I just heard there is one heading to the banana benders and one to Melbourne too.

Yep first four boats at RPAYC Pittwater and production slot for second container booked, by early next year we will have a fleet spread from Vic to QLd. so where will we have the first nationals? How about Port Lincoln regatta?

#99 AnchorSteam

AnchorSteam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Prefer to stick to one of the coasts where the boats are. Perhaps Jervis Bay or Lake Macquarie if East Coast.

For a fun regatta, consider Charleston Race Week in April in the US too, as they had 40 Vipers on the line last year.

#100 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

I'm proud to say I introduced two Aussies to the Viper 640 here in the USA. I think one of them might have even bought one when he got home. I'll have to check on that...

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users