5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Adolph

Steve Adolph

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

OK, two solid days of effort and I have rigged dual carbon poles a la Larry. Thanks Larry! It's only been 2 years since you delivered the parts to me... sheesh. My bad. Thankfully this means I have somewhat emerged from the baby years tunnel. I'm looking forward to getting the 505 back in the water!

I wisely left the carbon boom out of the plan, due to the numerous unanswered questions I have. As follows!

* the clew. I am clewless. What are people doing to tie the clew down to the boom? a strap? multiple loops of vectran or something?

* reefing. If someone could tell me how to rig an effective reef system on said carbon boom that would be very helpful.

I guess that's it really; boom sheeting I think I can handle. Spin pole bungee should be doable. Outhaul, again doable.
Making sure the backing plates are well thought out is to be taken seriously I assume!

OK that's it. If I missed a killer post that supplied all the detail I do apologize in advance.

thanks
Steve

#2 another 505 sailor

another 505 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

OK, two solid days of effort and I have rigged dual carbon poles a la Larry. Thanks Larry! It's only been 2 years since you delivered the parts to me... sheesh. My bad. Thankfully this means I have somewhat emerged from the baby years tunnel. I'm looking forward to getting the 505 back in the water!

I wisely left the carbon boom out of the plan, due to the numerous unanswered questions I have. As follows!

* the clew. I am clewless. What are people doing to tie the clew down to the boom? a strap? multiple loops of vectran or something?

* reefing. If someone could tell me how to rig an effective reef system on said carbon boom that would be very helpful.

I guess that's it really; boom sheeting I think I can handle. Spin pole bungee should be doable. Outhaul, again doable.
Making sure the backing plates are well thought out is to be taken seriously I assume!

OK that's it. If I missed a killer post that supplied all the detail I do apologize in advance.

thanks
Steve

For the clew I've gotten away with 3 loops of thin super prestretch, and the knot is taped. I just slide it on / off the end of the boom.
Flattening reef same as old alu, 2:1 inside the boom with the flattener exiting the boom in front of the clew, then runs thru clew grommit, up to reef 1, then thru a stainless ring lashed to the end of the boom, up thru the second reef, then deadened on the outhaul shackle.

I replaced all nuts with tapped g10 so you don't need a wrench.

#3 JB.Turney

JB.Turney

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Steve - Everything you need to know about this project can be found at www.fleet13.org

#4 Steve Adolph

Steve Adolph

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

thanks for the reminder JB. Nice new boat btw!

#5 Dense505crew

Dense505crew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:15 AM

Keep in mind that lots of people have measurement issues after changing to carbon booms with the requirement that the top of the boom sit at or above the gooseneck black band on the mast. Unless you put an insert in the carbon boom so that the top is the same height above the gooseneck pin as your aluminium boom then it won't measure. An alternative is to move the gooseneck fitting up but that can get ugly with the new holes close to the old holes in a highly stressed area of the mast.

#6 Steve Adolph

Steve Adolph

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the tip. I suspect I will be slightly out of compliance on that one, and I doubt I will fix it before I rig a new mast. Hard to see that being an important measurement though. It's not like it gives you any kind of advantage - unlike pole length or something like that. Maybe I will just time the new boom to go with a new mast also.

I love sailing 505s but when spare time is short, all the rigging churn is less than ideal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users