Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

It's that time again!

The largest ever gathering of single-handed spinnaker dinghies
By MPSCA on 15 Jun23-30 June 2012

The ACO Musto Skiff World Championships starts in just over a week and will be the largest ever gathering of single-handed spinnaker dinghies in the history of the sport.

With 106 entries already on the event website the event is set to be a fantastic festival of high-performance single handed sailing at the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy, the venue for the sailing competition at the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

Previous championships have seen strong turn outs in the 70's and 80's but this fleet will be the first time the class has achieved the "ton up".

The class, by sailing standards, is relatively young having been designed in 1999 in response to ISAF's call for new designs of dinghies for consideration as equipment at the games. Although the Musto Skiff dominated the ISAF trails in 2000 the design wasn't selected for the games.

However, the class has gone on from there and become very popular as a challenging single-hander for amateur sailors who enjoy the thrills and spills of high-performance sailing. The class has achieved full ISAF international status and boats are sailed in 22 countries around the world.

This championship will be a good representation of the international flavour of the class with 11 different nations represented from the 106 entries.

When asked about the secret of the success of the class Paul Manning from the class association and who was involved in the development and build of the class said "The early prototypes underwent a rigorous testing programme both in the UK and overseas. This allowed the final product to be highly refined and developed which means the product you see today is very similar to the first production boats. The boat has also benefitted from a programme of continuous minor improvements through monitoring the feedback of the sailors".

In addition Rick Perkins of the class association added "A successful class requires a great boat but the sailors and the association are also important factors. The class association has always been open and progressive with communications.

We have fostered a culture of openness and sharing amongst the sailors which means that at events the atmosphere is always friendly and sailors are always helping each other to improve"

This world championship has been many years in the planning and will be the last international championships held at Weymouth prior to the games and this factor has clearly been a pull to competitors.

The title sponsor for the event is ACO and its generous support of the event has allowed the class to add additional social events to the programme so the competitors will also be engaged off the water. This will include a gala dinner at which we will enjoy the after dinner speaking of double medalist Simon Hiscocks. Simon will also host a charity auction in aid of ACO's nominated charity CRASH. CRASH is the construction and property industry's charity for homeless people. The charity auction has benefited from donations from class sponsor Musto, event marine sponsor Harken, class builder Ovington Boats, signed books from authors Mark Rushall and Jon Emmett and items from the auctioneers own Shock Sailing.

Richard Hill from ACO said."We are always looking for unusual opportunities to spread the word about ACO and supporting this event is a good fit for us. The Musto Skiff and the class sponsor Musto are known for innovation, quality and performance, all values that fit well with ACO, we are pleased to see our support has been able to develop the event both on and off the water."

At the event the sailors will race as one large fleet but to keep the competition focused through the field there will also be awards for age categories (youth, master and grand master) and there will also be Gold, Silver & Bronze categories.

Prizes for these sections of the fleet have been provided by event marine sponsor Harken. Harken(UK) Sponsorship Manager Loretta Cuoghi said "We have been working with the Musto Skiff Class for many years and we are happy to be the marine sponsor for the World Championships. The class always put on a good event and work hard to keep the media informed giving the event greater reach than just those participating"

The event will start with a 6 race pre-worlds spread over two days, followed by a lay day then the worlds will be a 12 race series over the next 5 days.

Live on the water updates will flow through the class Twitter feed and updates will be made on the class website and on the class Facebook page.

The class would like to take this opportunity to thank the class sponsor Musto, event title sponsor ACO and event marine sponsor Harken... all we need now is sun and wind.

#2 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Pre-worlds this weekend, first race of the championships start next Tuesday with the final races on Saturday.

Forecast looks like a mixed bag. As does the competitors list. There are a lot of people entered who didn't go to Black Rock 18months ago, nor the Euros in Slovenia last September so it will be very interesting to see how things play out in the first couple of races.

I still have to wash down the Walrus, fix a couple of bits and pack. Hoping to arrive in Weymouth Thursday night and get some practise in over the weekend.

106 boats is going to be crazy. :D

#3 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

Pre-worlds this weekend, first race of the championships start next Tuesday with the final races on Saturday.

Forecast looks like a mixed bag. As does the competitors list. There are a lot of people entered who didn't go to Black Rock 18months ago, nor the Euros in Slovenia last September so it will be very interesting to see how things play out in the first couple of races.

I still have to wash down the Walrus, fix a couple of bits and pack. Hoping to arrive in Weymouth Thursday night and get some practise in over the weekend.

106 boats is going to be crazy. :D

Are they going to run one starting line???? Or split into divisions with round robins?

BTW, had a massive cartwheel Saturday in about 30 knots of breeze... manage to twist my trap tang enough to pop it out of the mast!!!

#4 Major Tom

Major Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy sailing, and good red wine!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

1339187695[/url]' post='3743836']
At 56 i got into it heavy this year as i cant really run anymore and for shoes Merrell Moab as they really are completely different

I found a hiking group that was started to train for a one day 32 mile hike and in January and we went long every two weeks between 12 and 20 miles until the hike in may and the full group finished it between 9 and 12 hours

It felt as good as doing a marathon and ZERO ill effects on me other than going from 208 to 175 :)

Go the Saffer, good luck Bruce Keen!

#5 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Bruce should do very well I think. He would have to be one of the favourites going into this.

@BB - yep, one start line. Thats going to be fun!

#6 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

Good luck to them, what I wouldn't give for one of them!

#7 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Bruce should do very well I think. He would have to be one of the favourites going into this.

@BB - yep, one start line. Thats going to be fun!

...those big startlines ,with the full mix of skills can be nasty,
,,,too many times that a novice decides t'be the hero,decide's it's their turn to 'win' the start,and F's it up for others :blink: <_< ..at least there's not olympic-class pressure on the line :)

...website?

#8 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Musto Performance Skiff Website

Event Website

As for novices on startlines, well thats fleet racing really. Startlines are competitave enough that if you're not able to hold a spot on the front row - you're not going to realise you've already missed the opportunity to get that spot. Happened to me plenty at Black Rock...

#9 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

...mannn,,not a -single- sailor from NA t'cheer for :(

#10 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Yup... most of us are here on the West Coast - long way to go, particularly to ship a boat.

#11 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Yup... most of us are here on the West Coast - long way to go, particularly to ship a boat.

...kinda like shipping coal to newcastle methinks...
..I looked into chartering a few years ago,,lotsa generous offers on charters,aspecially if you've got your own sails,etc,
,,notsomuch on airfair that time tho :(

...does the boat at jericho get used much??

#12 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

...kinda like shipping coal to newcastle methinks...
..I looked into chartering a few years ago,,lotsa generous offers on charters,aspecially if you've got your own sails,etc,
,,notsomuch on airfair that time tho :(

...does the boat at jericho get used much??

Dunno. There's 5 down here at Shilshole of which 3 get a reasonable usage. A couple in Cal.. a few in the Midwwest and Central Canadia.

#13 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Chap came across to Slovenia for the Euros last year from San Fran. As did three Aussies - all in charter boats. Chartering is actually stupidly easy, maybe next time mate.

Interesting fact of the day: 1/4 of all MPS's ever made will be competing. :blink:

#14 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Interesting fact of the day: 1/4 of all MPS's ever made will be competing. :blink:

Let's see the lasers do the same! That sounds like a blast, over 100 MPS's on a line should be an amazing experience on its own!

#15 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

So the boats are starting to really roll in now. As is the bloody wind! Doing boat work in the park on Friday and I had to have the boat tied down just to stop it blowing away. And that was before I put the mast up...

First day of the pre-worlds yesterday with steady breeze in the low to mid 20's and gusts high 20's to low 30's.

About 20-30 boats made it off the beach (with no lack of tense moments trying to pull away from a windward shore). A screaming downwind to the starting area and a couple decided to keep going out into the bay - quickly followed by a half-dozen ribs shouting to get home.

There was one rig fell down and got a tow home, another who either dropped his rig, or just his sail as well. Quite a few broken tiller extensions. Anyway, race was binned and everyone was sent home and soon after AP over A was posted ending racing for the day. Seemed a little surprising that everything was cancelled so quickly, but I think it's just the race committe and class getting used to each other.

(Yet) another front came across last night and we're all hoping it eases off a little in time for some sailing today. (Yet) more rain and cold weather. Seriously, we all joke about British weather, but the rain started falling once the ferry hit the dock in Dover and it's barely stopped since. I'm just so glad I brought all my winter thermals with me.

#16 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

A few PHOTOS from Tania Samius on Saturday.

How Richard Stenhouse saw the conditions:
Posted Image

What the rest of us saw:
Posted Image

#17 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

Yesterday was more manageable. There wasn't the same gusts coming across as Saturday and the breeze gradually built from mid teens to low 20's over the afternoon. By the end of the day, I'd blocked out the cunningham and was wishing for a little more.

First race saw Bruce Keen clear out and win by a little less than a leg. Very impressive. Second was taken by Richard Stenhouse with Jon Newman a bees-dick behind. A little bit of a gap then back to Bob Yeamans and Jon Simpson - proving that 100kg's is not always a bad thing.

Rest day today (and I definately need it) and tomorrow the main event starts. Forecast is looking vey mixed, so whoever wins this will definately deserve the title.

#18 SeaWay

SeaWay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

All the best for the Worlds Skiffboy, have a great time...

Gobble Gobble

SW

#19 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Gobbles. We've got another 3 days to go - gawd help me. :(

#20 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing, motorcycle road racing.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Great stuff SB!, more pix plz!

#21 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

So here we are on Wednesday night and I've found 10 minutes, a warm dry corner and the only internet connection in this godforsaken place.

Monday was officially a rest day to finalise the last few boats yet to measure in, clean, polish, bimble and generally prepare for the onslaught. However after so much breeze kicking through over the weekend most of the fleet took the opportunity to go out and have a good look at the racecourse without having to worry about getting knocked flat. Lots of individuals and small groups spread over the bay doing their own thing but, as is always the case, there was a decent sized group formed with boats trying to get a better sense of how their speed compares. Beautiful long sail with about 20-25 boats and wind increasing from 8kn in the bay to 12-14 back in through the harbour.

Tuesday, well as they so often say: you can't win the regatta on the first day, but you can certainly lose it. Only two races complete after a couple of postponments ashore and a couple more out on the water. First race got away on the first attempt in around 8-10kn. Yes, there were some interesting moments on the startline with 105 boats but with a line of 600m, it wasn't really a matter of finding room, but finding wind. That many boats dig a huge hole in the breeze and so you need to be holding position in the front row defending space for at least two minutes before the gun. Any later and it doesn't matter if there are gaps in the front row - there is just not enough wind to sail into them.

Lots of shifts, race committe were straight onto it with a course change indicated at the windward mark (or maybe it was the leeward mark?), either way I was chasing a bright orange bouy on the next windward, not realising that it was sitting in the back of a RIB and I was supposed to be heading for the black replacements...bugger. Cloud cover, a serious rain shower, constant traffic and holes in the wind bigger than Holland meant that it was extremely easy to have a shocking result. I was pretty sure there were more boats behind me than in front, so I was happy to salvage that much.

Race two was delayed by another postponement whilst the wind settled. A general recall and up went the black flag - second time released. No wind, a lot of confused waves and plenty of seaweed meant there were a lot of boats stopping, going backwards, going sideways, going the wrong way and sailors going slightly mad in the process. I found myself buried in the 90's by the widward mark with my heart breaking just a little as I set the spinnaker. Then the cloud rolled over, visibility dropped to around 200m, the breeze died (more) and swung (I have no idea which way). Thats when things got REALLY interesting. Those without (or not watching) compasses had no visual references to know the wind had swung, boats heading back upwind suddenly appeared out of the fog and everyone was slightly on edge, especially when the breeze picked up to around 12kn but the cloud didn't move. We were finished a leg early at the next top mark then sent home.

Jamie Hilton would have to be a strong contender for a top result, except for an OCS and BFD doesn't leave him much wiggle room for the rest of the week. On the other hand Richard Stenhouse removed all excused from the rest of us fattys, leading the day with a 2nd & 8th. Me, I was extatic to fight back to the 40's in that second race.

The evening continued with a curry & quizz night. I'm still waiting for a jury ruling on the banana passing of the eventual winners... <_<

No time for today, or any of the visuals now as there is a hog been roasting all day and is ready for eating.

#22 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

Wednesday report is quite easy: the wind never stabilised. Swinging all over the place, clouds suddenly appearing and parking themselves.

The class association took the opportunity of the morning postponement to hold the class forum. We saw updates on the long term major regatta schedule, presentations by the Austrian group who are hosting the European championships next year, as well as by Perth for the 2013-14 world championships.

We did get out on the water at what was the best opportunity to try and attempt a race. I managed to get a couple of minutes of flat wiring before the breeze died completely. The fleet decided they'd had enough and started rocking, rolling & ooching back to shore.

I personally got the scent of the pig which had been roasting on the terrace of the club all day. omnomnomnom.

Today's Lay-Day cancelled and four races scheduled. Another four either Friday or Saturday, depending on how much wind comes through. Forecast is for blowing dogs off chains again sometime today.

Photos are being uploaded onto the Facebook site as well as the EVENT site.

#23 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,994 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

link for up to date pics/results?

#24 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

link for up to date pics/results?

http://www.sailracer.us/eventsites/results_main.asp?id=1585&eventid=107090&stage=yes&templ1=107090_full#

#25 SeaWay

SeaWay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

SB:

Perth for 2013/14?? How easily does incompetence in a moth transfer into incompetence in a Musto Skiff?

Always room at my place (albeit a little away from the action) if you head over mate.

cheers

SW

#26 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

SB:

Perth for 2013/14?? How easily does incompetence in a moth transfer into incompetence in a Musto Skiff?

Always room at my place (albeit a little away from the action) if you head over mate.

cheers

SW

Musto is trap, Moth is hike
Musto likes flat, Moth likes Veal Heel
Weather mark rounding in a breeze on the Musto you have two sheets, vang and cunno to deal with Moth has one less sheet.
Gybes on Musto require "supermanning" the kite sheet, Moth requires keeping up on the foils
Leeward mark on Musto requires Takedown, then vang and cunno

Both boats are physical Moth is faster and somewhat less reactive to chop. But both are AWA boats.

BTW, how many of us can you fit??? :lol:

#27 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

seaWay - the fat arsed german (Thor) has just got one and sails from Mounts Bay. Get onto him and get the low-down; but I think you'd find it easier than the moth.

Perth fleet is now up to 6 with a container of new boats arrived earlier this week going to add to that. Good time to jump on board actually.

#28 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

Epic day yesterday. Went out in the morning in a fading breeze, floated around for a good while waiting for it to stabilise. First race got away nicely and in a reasonable breeze but as we approached the top mark, the fog filled in, visibility plummeted and everything went pear-shaped. By the time we got to the bottom mark, we couldn't see the start boat moored 50m further. Race abandoned and we spent the next hour sitting as close to the start boat as we could. Things got a little sketchy once the wind picked up to around 15kn and visibility was still next to nothing.

Eventually it cleared up and we got into sequence and away. Again, fog filled in by the time we arrived at the top mark but race continued for some reason. Upwind wasn't too bad but downwind there was no way of knowing where the bottom mark was. The leaders got down there, found the pin boat and realised the gate was well off to the left. So dropped kites and beat back to the bottom mark on port. The next group came through, saw people working upwind on port and assumed the bottom mark was further to the right. Just bedlam.

Posted Image

Once visibility improved a little we were sent in for some lunch and, typically, everything cleared up the wind kicked and we had some of the best conditions of the week!

So, a half hour on shore and we were sent out again in what had now built to low 20's. By the time everyone had arrived at the start it was a solid 25-30 with a wicked short chop bouncing back at us from the harbour wall. We waited for the olympic classes to finish their short exercises on our course and then went into sequence. General recall, lots of people swimming, re-start and we're away. Fat boys fly in this, a really wicked steep chop meant you had to put the bow down and drive the pants off the thing. The left side of the course was closed off with a ship taking on fuel. The reach across to the spreader mark got the blood pumping and threading through the graveyard of capsized boats after certainly tested the boat control skills. Survive the gybe, hoist the kite and hang the fuck on! Not sure which lap it was on that I really wound it up, just to see if it helped (it actually did, for a while) but I've been downhill on a 12' skiff doing low-20's boat speed and this was every bit of all that. Just without the extra pair of hands to help out.

So yes, when the inevitable happend, it happened with style. I landed on the forestay, tearing the chainplate out of the spinnaker throat. Thats the first time I've been towed back to shore without a rig in a long time. And the whole way, I was just bouncing up & down with adrenaline.

I have a jury-rig solution which should get me through the last two days if we do manage to get any more racing in but, as of right now, we are postponed until as least 1400. The wind is literally howling through and the forecast says it's going to build and stay like this for the next few days. And, if I'm honest, my body is telling me I'm done. I'm going to head on down to the club and see if I can't introduce myself to the physio.

Posted Image

#29 SeaWay

SeaWay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

SB / BB

Sounds to me like incompetence will transfer well!!

Not sure I can part with the moth yet (serious unfinished business regarding gybes...), and wife's guaranteed displeasure that will follow me starting a collection of high performance single handers at home...

May have to think about a charter later on though!

All the best for rest of the event, look forward to seeing you guys in town in 18 months time.

SW

#30 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,635 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

https://www.facebook.com/segelreporter
Attached File  557776_10151867277075338_1807998636_n.jpg   33.21K   14 downloads

#31 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Wow... Ok, the musto is definitely on the list of things I want to try (and it's getting automatically bumped to a high position on said list).

Looks like you guys are having a blast! Best of luck with the end of the regatta SB...

#32 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

...nice shots,,,is that the same bald-headed fellow in both pic's?..........curious minds :huh:

..typical weather for weymouth?...or typical worlds where 'we haven't seen this crap in -years'

...do you folks even bother congratulating the 'untouchable' Stenhouse any more?
....I see he doesn't even get touched by the jinx of winning the pre-worlds <_<

#33 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

A few PHOTOS from Tania Samius on Saturday.

How Richard Stenhouse saw the conditions:
Posted Image

What the rest of us saw:
Posted Image

..also love the juxtaposition between these 2 'attitudes',,
,,2nd picture,,we've all been there,,deserves a caption contest :blink: :o :(

#34 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

...nice shots,,,is that the same bald-headed fellow in both pic's?..........curious minds :huh:

From a completely outside perspective, I'd say no. Clothing is different (red on top of thighs in second not in first, and trap harness over/under rashie) and the sail is definitely different (first one has a black sleeve and second has a white sleeve). Now the question is does anyone know the fleet well enough to name both blokes without sail numbers to use as reference?

#35 Major Tom

Major Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Ex Capetonian, Bruce Keen is the new World Champion. Congratulations from all of us in South Africa. Bruce's father, Allen, is well known on the International Laser Master circuit and still sails actively in Cape Town.

#36 Major Tom

Major Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

http://www.mustoskif...rlds/120630.htm

#37 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

...do you folks even bother congratulating the 'untouchable' Stenhouse any more?
....I see he doesn't even get touched by the jinx of winning the pre-worlds <_<

......OOPS....spoke too soon!!! :blink: :blink:......sorry 'bout dat :huh: :(

1 432 no result Tom Wright Stokes Bay YC 3 1 -4 1 1 1 1 ........8
2 442 no result Richard Stenhouse Rutland SC 2 -6 1 4 3 2 2............. 14
3 441 no result Bruce Keen Stokes Bay SC -12 2 3 6 5 3 3 .........22
4 281 no result Jamie Hillton Datchet Water SC -10 8 8 5 2 7 8 ........38
5 130 no result Alastair Conn Derwent Reservoir 1 17 6 7 (DNC) 5 4 ........40
6 305 no result Richard Pelley Stokes Bay SC 7 9 -19 9 6 6 5 .............42
7 291 no result Ben Schooling Datchet Water SC 4 4 5 11 8 12 -17 ........44
8 461 no result Alex Cooper Stokes Bay SC -20 7 13 10 4 4 6 ..........44
9 295 no result Michael Palfreman Stokes Bay SC 9 10 2 3 -23 10 11 ........45
10 324 no result Dave Poston Datchet SC (OCS) 3 7 2 DNC 8 7 .......62

#38 Major Tom

Major Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

http://www.mustoskif...rlds/120630.htm
Some footage of the final day's sailing and report and interveiw.

#39 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

That was so much fun! It's all over now which is actually very sad. The people in this class really are unique and are what make it such a success.

So my last message was written Friday lunchtime where weíd locked in 4 races, the wind was trying to blow cars off the road as they attempted to cross over to Portland and my back was telling me to lie down and sleep. By mid-afternoon the wind had moderated slightly and we were sent out at about 1500. Personally, I felt that the was still too much to risk my boat and myself in their fragile states so I helped everyone launch and then went to have a good long chat to Heather the Physio.

It turned out I was wrong (again!) when the wind moderated a little more and the course was set in a slightly flatter area of the harbour. Two races finished in around 20kn and suddenly we had a regatta on our hands!

Saturday was, unsurprisingly, windy again but still hovering around that low 20kn range. No postponements and no messing around today, first start went at 1000. Again, we had a little more space in the harbour, so the course was set further away from the wall where the waves werenít so gnarly. Race 1 I finally managed to find my go button and after aiming for the wrong top-mark, I still managed to round in 3rd. A problem on the hoist saw me promptly capsize and fall back to the loser ranks where I belong.

Race two was just epic fun. Suddenly I had speed to burn, my tacks were sweet and somehow I could even gybe without problems. Since I was tracking around with the leaders and they were still racing for position whilst I was only racing for pride, I took some very conservative lanes so not to get in their way too much. I was 7th or 8th around the final windward mark when one of my lower stays let go in the bear-away. I donít know if it was compromised on the earlier day, or if it was just itís time to go but that was my event done.

The leaders had a great day, 3 races total and some very aggressive racing amongst the top 10. Bruce Keen did an excellent job to get up into 1st and take out the title. Richard Stenhouse was actually quite lucky not to drop back further than 2nd. Tom Wright sailed his pants off to get up into 3rd. If he ever decides to get good in anything other than heavy winds, heíll be a real threat. Jon Newman finished 4th and, aside from a couple of howlers early in the week, was consistently up in contention.
Richard had a very unfortunate last day actually. Heís been battling a nasty case of food-poisoning all week, so the fact that heís even been on the water is astonishing. However on the final day, he just couldnít seen to find his speed, nor his luck and so for the first time ever, heís been beaten in a Musto Skiff world championships. Still, he was one of the last to de-rig as he was spending all his time running around chatting to people, congratulating them and saying goodbye. Really a wonderful athlete, sportsman and person.

So thatís it, now we just wait for the photos to come out, the stories to get swapped and the next event to be planned. It will be a busy week for me as I now need to get the RS800 out and prepped so that Angus and I can sail in the EuroCUP at Riva del Garda later this month.

#40 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

I'm only just getting the time to go through the event website and look at the videos they did each day.

Registration Day

Pre Worlds

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

#41 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

SB / BB

Not sure I can part with the moth yet (serious unfinished business regarding gybes...), and wife's guaranteed displeasure that will follow me starting a collection of high performance single handers at home...

All the best for rest of the event, look forward to seeing you guys in town in 18 months time.

SW

Just tell the Trouble-n-Strife it's my fault. She'll believe you for sure :D

#42 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Ex Capetonian, Bruce Keen is the new World Champion. Congratulations from all of us in South Africa. Bruce's father, Allen, is well known on the International Laser Master circuit and still sails actively in Cape Town.

Bruce sailed REALLY well. He had a bit of a shakey start but then kept plugging away and put together a great series. Such a lovely guy and a very deserving champion.

#43 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Just to give some context to the conditions, these guys were racing just upwind of our startline Thursday afternoon. So this was halfway up our course - in the easier sections...

Posted Image

It was impressive watching them all come down through the bottom mark. Goddamn they're good!

#44 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

And this was the Mustos coming through the bottome mark. Not sure which day.

Posted Image

#45 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Final Word (for now)

#46 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Posted Image

Images by Tania & Sergei Samius www.photoskiff.com

These two are such a fantastic pair. Amazing photos always and a joy to be around.

#47 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Just to give some context to the conditions, these guys were racing just upwind of our startline Thursday afternoon. So this was halfway up our course - in the easier sections...

Posted Image

It was impressive watching them all come down through the bottom mark. Goddamn they're good!

When you see it you'll yell "CANNONBALL!!!"

Great reporting skiffboy, enjoyed it!

KB

#48 SeaWay

SeaWay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

SB / BB

SW

Just tell the Trouble-n-Strife it's my fault. She'll believe you for sure :D

No doubt!!

good to hear you found some of your mojo, keep the regatta reports coming!

cheers

SW

#49 skiffboy

skiffboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Yes, clearly this work caper is detracting from my sailing. Hope you all enjoyed the updates as much as I enjoyed being there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users