22 replies to this topic

#1 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm trying to help a currently computerless(h.d. fried) friend locate a used Melges 24. It would strictly be used for PHRF racing, no O.D. So, it doesn't have to be that new but at the same time is not interested in a beater or project boat. He tells me he would like to keep it around $20K. I searched the obvious places, U.S. and International Melges websites. I did also give him the number of the one for sale in the SA Classifieds, but thought I'd put the word out here also.
Thanks

#2 Viper55

Viper55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

The Neuse is going to see a Melges 24?? I'll keep an eye out.

Dave

#3 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

The Neuse is going to see a Melges 24?? I'll keep an eye out.

Dave

Sorry Dave, not around here. He wouldn't want to have to come up against one of those hot shot Viper dudes :D Hey what happened to the other Viper that raced in New Bern against you guys a few months back?

#4 Viper55

Viper55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

He lives up in the Cheaspeake area. Still trying to get Vipers to the area for OD racing. PHRF not nice to Vipers up there.(or here)

#5 GnD

GnD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:sailing, Skiing, biking, boating,

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

USMELGES24.com
Hull number 60. nice boat. just repainted, new rig,
ready to go

#6 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

USMELGES24.com
ready to go

I told him about it. But its over his $20K budget plus the cost of getting it to the east coast. One has to wonder why it was totally repainted? No details on anything else.

#7 GnD

GnD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

it was repainted because it was stored near a railroad track. The rail company came buy and weld the tracks. Causing the small burn marks to be get in the hull. Basically the insurance company payed to have the boat Flipped and totally get rebuilt by one of the top speed shops.

100% legal and 100% documented. So basically you get a flipped and faired hull. painted to look like New. New mast, Owned by a rigger. The boat is a doll.

hop in the car and go get it.

right now the boat is in Salt Lake. Make him and offer and see what he will do.

#8 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

it was repainted because it was stored near a railroad track. The rail company came buy and weld the tracks. Causing the small burn marks to be get in the hull. Basically the insurance company payed to have the boat Flipped and totally get rebuilt by one of the top speed shops.

100% legal and 100% documented. So basically you get a flipped and faired hull. painted to look like New. New mast, Owned by a rigger. The boat is a doll.

The story was lightly different according to the owner. There was actually a fire near the boat that toasted part of the hull. It sounded as though it was repaired well, but still generates some doubt. We're waiting to hear back on some other questions.

Besides this one and another very worn boat we came across, there doesn't seem to be anything else out there. Kind of surprising :huh:

#9 nickbrad

nickbrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

I've been watching the used Melges24 market for the past three years (looking to step up from a Melges 17 in 2010).
I don't think your budget will get you much more than the beater you say you don't want.

At the most desperate point (ie...2010) i saw a couple of beater boats in the 18k - 24k range.
Those desperation sales are gone now and I think you'll be hard pressed to find a reasonable non-beater boat for less than 24k.

I would think 25k would really open the field up.

#10 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

I've been watching the used Melges24 market for the past three years (looking to step up from a Melges 17 in 2010).
I don't think your budget will get you much more than the beater you say you don't want.

At the most desperate point (ie...2010) i saw a couple of beater boats in the 18k - 24k range.
Those desperation sales are gone now and I think you'll be hard pressed to find a reasonable non-beater boat for less than 24k.

I would think 25k would really open the field up.

As I said, I'm trying to help a friend do a search. It doesn't seem like there is anything between $20K-$40K :huh:

#11 nickbrad

nickbrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

I would recommend going to the melges 24 website and contacting the regional / district president for your area - usually they are a very active racer - they should have the real insight into available local boats.

I've seen more boats move that way than through the class website.

#12 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

I would recommend going to the melges 24 website and contacting the regional / district president for your area - usually they are a very active racer - they should have the real insight into available local boats.

I've seen more boats move that way than through the class website.

Excellent suggestion! Thanks

#13 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Seen the 6/2/12 listing on the SA Classifieds yet?

#14 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Seen the 6/2/12 listing on the SA Classifieds yet?

Tim, it had potential, but sold in about a week. Never had a chance to look at it except for the pictures. I'm sure someone up that way grabbed it :(

#15 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:31 AM

jerry, there was one near Norfolk, VA for sale this winter. As I recall, the asking price was $20K. I think it was #44. I went and looked at the boat - not pristine but certainly not a beater. The owner was deployed and took it off the market while he was gone, so its probably still for sale, but not listed. If you're interested, I can get in touch with him.

#16 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

jerry, there was one near Norfolk, VA for sale this winter. As I recall, the asking price was $20K. I think it was #44. I went and looked at the boat - not pristine but certainly not a beater. The owner was deployed and took it off the market while he was gone, so its probably still for sale, but not listed. If you're interested, I can get in touch with him.

Thanks! Sent you a PM

Jerry

#17 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

USMELGES24.com
ready to go

Sent you a PM

#18 13over

13over

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

USA 75 4sale Michigan
www.melges24.com

#19 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

USA 75 4sale Michigan
www.melges24.com

Thanks! Looks like it was just posted.

#20 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

This is the boat I was going to recommend. He just had this work done, the boat looks brand new.

#21 GnD

GnD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Pick it up at WIRW. you might even be able to talk the owner to let you race on it. I bet it will not come home from the race. To many people here looking for boats. when that shows up it will sell. All the other local boats have sold here. With another boat showing up every month. 48 local boats now and growing. The RACING is Tough! no slow boats or sailors in the fleet any more.

#22 Essex

Essex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

#25 is listed on the international site only (for some reason), asking 19k.
I know the boat and owner, sailed on it for a few years, he is not racing it this season, its in NJ so easy to drive up & take a look.
PM me if you want to know more.

#23 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Still looking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users