• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Innovation, Web Development, Writing, etc.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

http://www.bloomberg...t-of-touch.html

It looks like some voters are getting very smart:

"Sunde, an independent, gives Obama low grades for dealing with the economy yet says Romney would do worse. “His perspective is you just let the free market take care of everything, and we’ll go right down the toilet drain, and everything -- all the jobs -- will go straight to Asia,” Sunde says of Romney."

#2 Lifted Tack

Lifted Tack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

There's only one poll that counts, and that is the electoral college. both candidates are long way from topping that one.

#3 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,481 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-20/obama-leads-in-poll-as-voters-view-romney-as-out-of-touch.html

"Sunde, an independent, gives Obama low grades for dealing with the economy yet says Romney would do worse. “His perspective is you just let the free market take care of everything, and we’ll go right down the toilet drain, and everything -- all the jobs -- will go straight to Asia,” Sunde says of Romney."

Yep all the other polls are wrong. This poll is so far outside of reality that it begs the question. Did they conduct the poll in Harlem?

#4 badlatitude

badlatitude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,721 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

"Sunde, an independent, gives Obama low grades for dealing with the economy yet says Romney would do worse. "His perspective is you just let the free market take care of everything, and we'll go right down the toilet drain, and everything -- all the jobs -- will go straight to Asia," Sunde says of Romney."

Yep all the other polls are wrong. This poll is so far outside of reality that it begs the question. Did they conduct the poll in Harlem?

From the L.A. Times:

One clue as to why Bloomberg's results may be an outlier is in their voter breakdown. One-third of the sample is non-white voters, including 12% black and 11% Hispanic.

Other surveys tend to include a somewhat smaller percentage of minority voters. In fact, when Gallup's first daily tracking poll of the Romney-Obama matchup showed the former Massachusetts governor several points ahead, Obama advisors noted that Gallup had, in their view, under-valued the minority vote -- 22%.

Exit polls in 2008 found that 26% of the electorate was non-white, and that vote went overwhelmingly to Obama over John McCain.

That makes the poll more accurate than what we've been seeing, but then again there is a very long way to go before election day.

#5 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

Heck, I don't know much about polls.....

BUT,

It does seem like the rethugs have turned off a lot of major voting blocks - gays, hispanics, etc........

You can't do that and still win big.

#6 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,481 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

"Sunde, an independent, gives Obama low grades for dealing with the economy yet says Romney would do worse. "His perspective is you just let the free market take care of everything, and we'll go right down the toilet drain, and everything -- all the jobs -- will go straight to Asia," Sunde says of Romney."

From the L.A. Times:

One clue as to why Bloomberg's results may be an outlier is in their voter breakdown. One-third of the sample is non-white voters, including 12% black and 11% Hispanic.

Other surveys tend to include a somewhat smaller percentage of minority voters. In fact, when Gallup's first daily tracking poll of the Romney-Obama matchup showed the former Massachusetts governor several points ahead, Obama advisors noted that Gallup had, in their view, under-valued the minority vote -- 22%.

Exit polls in 2008 found that 26% of the electorate was non-white, and that vote went overwhelmingly to Obama over John McCain.

That makes the poll more accurate than what we've been seeing, but then again there is a very long way to go before election day.

Their own explanation contradicts itself. 1/3 33%. Are minorities yet in 2008. The minority vote was 26%.

See a problem there?

Claiming this poll is more accurate based on a untested methodology is a stretch, but I agree long way to go.

#7 tq2000

tq2000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Interests:boats and bourbon

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

From the L.A. Times:

Their own explanation contradicts itself. 1/3 33%. Are minorities yet in 2008. The minority vote was 26%.

See a problem there?

Claiming this poll is more accurate based on a untested methodology is a stretch, but I agree long way to go.

Well the country did not get more white in the last 4 years. It sounds like minorities might be over represented in the Bloomberg poll, but also substantially under represented in the others. I would bet if we had 26 last time, it will be closer to 28 this time.

#8 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,638 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Interesting result, when compared to other methodologies and results. I'm not sure that minority voting tendencies are any big surprise, or we wouldn't be seeing the varied efforts to get them off of the voter rolls in the name of fairness, despite sparse evidence of actual vote fraud.

#9 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,481 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

http://www.powerline...-poll-prove.php

#10 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,591 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

"Who is more out of touch with with average Americans?", was the question. Not - "Who would you vote for if the election were held today?"

I think most people believe both candidates are out of touch, so the poll may not be as awesome as you and others make it out to be. There are many other factors people will consider before pulling the lever, and I think many will be holding their noses regardless of who they pull that lever for.

#11 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

"Who is more out of touch with with average Americans?", was the question. Not - "Who would you vote for if the election were held today?"

I think most people believe both candidates are out of touch, so the poll may not be as awesome as you and others make it out to be. There are many other factors people will consider before pulling the lever, and I think many will be holding their noses regardless of who they pull that lever for.

As always.
I fully agree. It does come down to the excitement - whether voters turn out, and THEN....to who is better, not GOOD. It would be hard for anyone to say Romney seems to be in touch with the "regular" guy and gal, but this country has often prayed at the altar of Big Business and that works in his favor.

#12 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,481 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

And you think the community organizer is more in touch with the average American?

#13 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,638 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:32 AM

And you think the community organizer is more in touch with the average American?

Well, by definition, a community organizer is going to be in touch with the community, is he not?

I happen to think that both candidates are far more in touch with K-Street/Wall Street than they are with the average American.

#14 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,481 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:34 AM

Well, by definition, a community organizer is going to be in touch with the community, is he not?

I happen to think that both candidates are far more in touch with K-Street/Wall Street than they are with the average American.

Agreed.

#15 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

Well, sure,,,,

Jesus, Ghandi, MLK, Abolitionists, etc....all community organizers. I would say they are all more in touch with the average citizens than a Boston Mormon Blue Blood elite...wouldn't you?

#16 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,638 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

http://www.quinnipia...?ReleaseID=1766

It's no runaway in FL at the moment. "It's a Long Way to Tipperary"

#17 tq2000

tq2000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Interests:boats and bourbon

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

I found this interesting

While Florida voters say 48 - 44 percent that Romney would do a better job on the economy, they split 45 - 45 percent on who would create more jobs and say 49 - 44 percent that Obama would do more "to advance the economic interests of middle class Americans."

People seem to no longer view what is good for GDP growth as necessarily being good for themselves. They seem to be recognizing that the economy could grow, and companies earn huge profits, while they are getting screwed. If so, I would view that as a good sign.

#18 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Not to wory, there is still plenty of time for the Republicans there to rig the election.

#19 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

Trending image across the internets:

Posted Image

#20 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,847 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

Yes.

#21 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,638 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Posted Image

Yes.

Dum Dum is proud to be that stupid. Hee Haw.

Meanwhile, speaking of polling...

Posted Image

#22 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,778 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Posted Image

That looks like fun!!!

#23 HardOnWind

HardOnWind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

The most recent NBC & Wall Street Journal poll has Obama by 3%

Stable numbers after another unstable month

After another eventful month in American politics – the disappointing May jobs numbers, the unsuccessful gubernatorial recall in Wisconsin, the economic uncertainty in Europe and Obama’s recent immigration announcement – the Obama vs. Romney race is essentially unchanged.

In the poll, the president leads his presumptive challenger by three points among registered voters, 47 to 44 percent. Last month, Obama’s edge over Romney was four points, 47 to 43 percent. Also in the current poll, the president’s overall approval rating stands at 47 percent (down a point from May), and his favorable-unfavorable score is 48 to 38 percent (which is essentially unchanged).

Obama is ahead among African Americans (92 to 1 percent), women (52 to 39 percent), Latinos, voters ages 18-29 (52 to 35 percent) and independents (40 to 36 percent). Romney leads among Tea Party supporters (94 to 1 percent), whites (53 to 38 percent) and men (48 to 43 percent). And the two are running even among seniors, Midwest residents and high-interest voters.

#24 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,481 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Stable. Except that in April this same poll had Obama ahead by 6. So spinning it a different way Romney has cut Obama's lead in half. It's all in the way you want to look at it. This same poll shows 53% disapproving of the way the president is handling the economy. Hmmm I'm thinking that is a key question to look at.

#25 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,638 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Why should I vote FOR either? I will not be voting against anyone. I will cast a vote for someone.

#26 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Why should I vote FOR either? I will not be voting against anyone. I will cast a vote for someone.

I found that a lot of people end up voting for who they like.......as a human being.

That's human nature. I remember when my wife was running for city council - we went a big party and lots of people met her. A few said "I'm voting for you because now I met you". They didn't know or ask a thing about her politics!

The newest Gallup poll says a lot on this subject....

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155351/Likability-Top-Characteristic-Romney-Obama.aspx

It will be hard for Romney to win - all things being equal. But given some fixing, some voter suppression and an october surprise, anything is possible....

But, Sol, there are reports all over the radio about Real Estate in Florida finally getting some action! Obama may, in the end, have a case there........to convince voters that things have gotten better....that is, when their condo sells for the asking price!

#27 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,638 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

I found that a lot of people end up voting for who they like.......as a human being.

That's human nature. I remember when my wife was running for city council - we went a big party and lots of people met her. A few said "I'm voting for you because now I met you". They didn't know or ask a thing about her politics!

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155351/Likability-Top-Characteristic-Romney-Obama.aspx

It will be hard for Romney to win - all things being equal. But given some fixing, some voter suppression and an october surprise, anything is possible....

But, Sol, there are reports all over the radio about Real Estate in Florida finally getting some action! Obama may, in the end, have a case there........to convince voters that things have gotten better....that is, when their condo sells for the asking price!

You don't need to convince me on the RE front. I'm convinced. I just bought. You have to absolutely positively pull your friggin teeth out to get the banks to move and actually cut loose the properties they have listed, and endure what should be a quick and easy transaction dragging out for many many months, but I am here to tell you it can be done. I want nothing to do with condos, as I tend not to do well when someone tells me what I can or cannot do...but they are beginning to move as well.

#28 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

You don't need to convince me on the RE front. I'm convinced. I just bought. You have to absolutely positively pull your friggin teeth out to get the banks to move and actually cut loose the properties they have listed, and endure what should be a quick and easy transaction dragging out for many many months, but I am here to tell you it can be done. I want nothing to do with condos, as I tend not to do well when someone tells me what I can or cannot do...but they are beginning to move as well.

I hear ya on condos but always figured it takes a village to really chase the bugs away in some parts of Florida!
Posted Image

#29 C&C 115

C&C 115

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Funny, I think it will be hard for bo to win considering he has no record and can't go hopey changey again.

The guy never had a real job in the private sector and it shows.

#30 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,729 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

Funny, I think it will be hard for bo to win considering he has no record and can't go hopey changey again.

Yeah, 'cause the private sector is a real model for how to run government. They're both solely concerned with maximizing profit, right?

#31 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, those bailouts of the auto companies and the payback of the TARP....as well as the doubling of the stock market....troubling....

I think it would be better if he has had experience avoiding taxes, offshoring jobs, etc...
Posted Image

#32 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,729 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Yeah, those bailouts of the auto companies and the payback of the TARP....as well as the doubling of the stock market....troubling....

I think it would be better if he has had experience avoiding taxes, offshoring jobs, etc...
Posted Image

... and fucking the middle class into non-existance. Dummies across every income strata would support that in a heart beat.

#33 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:23 AM

Posted Image

#34 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,591 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:57 AM

Posted Image

The payback of TARP is a great success of the Bush admin, as is the exit he negotiated from Iraq.

#35 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,591 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:00 AM

Posted Image

... and fucking the middle class into non-existance. Dummies across every income strata would support that in a heart beat.

I guess, based on what the middle class has endured under Obama, you'd consider it a gang rape? Going for sloppy seconds does not absolve one's guilt.

#36 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

The payback of TARP is a great success of the Bush admin, as is the exit he negotiated from Iraq.

Let me take them one at a time.....

TARP:
Bush passed the TARP of course - which most of the GOP has been ranting about (as Obamas fault) for years.....
BUT,
being GW Bush, he made sure there were not the right protections in there against CEO taking too much pay, etc.

A BIG part of the TARP was not even paid out until after Bush left office, so it would have very difficult for GW to have a great success at the payback of it!

Tim F, the NEWLY APPOINTE DUDE, was responsible for many of the rules and enforcement that went along with the improved TARP.

IRAQ:
This one hardly needs any explanation. This was perhaps the biggest foreign policy mistake in American history. It's fantastic to give GW any credit for anything positive about it.

If, however, your claim is that Bush talked about and set a goal and signed a paper about getting out - and Obama then followed through - well, then, you'd also have to hold GW to his "promises" and "assurances" that we were gonna get out about 6 times BEFORE that date. You must have checked out of the world for a number of years while I was listening to the radio and GW constantly telling me we'd be done in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, etc.

Each time was a lie.

So when Obamie runs on leaving - and actually does it the first time as planned, you should really give credit where it is due.

I know it's tempting to hold onto fairy tales such as GW being a decent President. But you seem like a mature dude....it's time to let 'em go. He was a disaster and we barely survived it. You should be very glad that era is over.

I guess, based on what the middle class has endured under Obama, you'd consider it a gang rape? Going for sloppy seconds does not absolve one's guilt.

Ya can't fuck dead people....at least too easily.

They are gone - fucked - nothing left for Obama to hurt.

#37 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,591 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:42 AM

TARP:
Bush passed the TARP of course - which most of the GOP has been ranting about (as Obamas fault) for years.....
BUT,
being GW Bush, he made sure there were not the right protections in there against CEO taking too much pay, etc.

A BIG part of the TARP was not even paid out until after Bush left office, so it would have very difficult for GW to have a great success at the payback of it!

Tim F, the NEWLY APPOINTE DUDE, was responsible for many of the rules and enforcement that went along with the improved TARP.

IRAQ:
This one hardly needs any explanation. This was perhaps the biggest foreign policy mistake in American history. It's fantastic to give GW any credit for anything positive about it.

If, however, your claim is that Bush talked about and set a goal and signed a paper about getting out - and Obama then followed through - well, then, you'd also have to hold GW to his "promises" and "assurances" that we were gonna get out about 6 times BEFORE that date. You must have checked out of the world for a number of years while I was listening to the radio and GW constantly telling me we'd be done in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, etc.

Each time was a lie.

So when Obamie runs on leaving - and actually does it the first time as planned, you should really give credit where it is due.

I know it's tempting to hold onto fairy tales such as GW being a decent President. But you seem like a mature dude....it's time to let 'em go. He was a disaster and we barely survived it. You should be very glad that era is over.

Nice try. Facts are facts. Withdrawal of troops from Iraq and payback of TARP funds were not a result of efforts by the Obama administration. All the Obama administration did, in both cases, was show up and stay the fuck out of the way while the Pentagon, State Department, Treasury, and a few other agencies/departments followed the protocol neatly set out for them by the Bush administration.

TARP:
BUT,

IRAQ:

Each time was a lie.

Nice try. Facts are facts. Withdrawal of troops from Iraq and payback of TARP funds were not a result of efforts by the Obama administration. All the Obama administration did, in both cases, was show up and stay the fuck out of the way while the Pentagon, State Department, Treasury, and a few other agencies/departments followed the protocol neatly set out for them by the Bush administration.

Edit - How's that troop surge in Afghanistan going? Those drone attacks on Pakistan don't seem to be in the news much these days. What's the butcher's bill in Yemen? Is it Castro's brother who's running the summer camp at Gitmo now?

#38 jimbot

jimbot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

Another poll.

Posted Image

http://news.investors.com/article/616371/201206271826/obama-superior-intellect-a-media-made-myth.htm

I don't know about you, but I want to know if our "best and brightest" includes the man in charge.

#39 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,333 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

I don't know about you, but I want to know if our "best and brightest" includes the man in charge.

Why?

#40 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,638 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

I'd go for seeing both candidates' transcripts or neither. I don't need to see just the black guy's transcripts.

#41 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,591 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:16 AM

Another poll.

Posted Image

http://news.investor...a-made-myth.htm

The president who was touted as a "Constitutional Scholar" should have cleanly won the Arizona ruling with the SCOTUS. We'll see how they rule on Obamacare.

If he were being considered for an entry level position in the private sector, his college transcripts might determine whether he started in the basement or cube with some natural light.

"Transparency" can be so transparent.....sometimes.

#42 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,591 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

I'd go for seeing both candidates' transcripts or neither. I don't need to see just the black guy's transcripts.

I'll see your black Christian guy and raise you a white Mormon.

#43 jimbot

jimbot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

Sure Sol. Both Kerry and Bush provided theirs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users