137 replies to this topic

#101 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:26 AM

Can someone tell me more about the block/twing setup attached to the boom for the spinsheet.......looks interesting. I've never seen that setup before.

ILLUSION has a line that pulls the spinnaker sheet out toward the end of the main boom to stretch out the foot. This is what you're seeing. It has the effect of moving the sheet point for the chute "aft", at least as far as the chute feels it, much further than you can accomplish on a 40' boat. This opens up the leech of the chute, just as it would if you move the jib car aft for a genoa. That allows the air to flow across the chute and exit without blowing into the back of the main sail. It also stabilizes the chute in heavy winds, which is what you're seeing in the picture.

Sally's shop is closed now but the articles are still there. Here's the "Out-Grabber."

The Cal 40 GREEN BUFFALO is racing in the Singlehanded Transpac this year. In fact the start is this Saturday. Look for Jim Q to at least win his division.

#102 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:02 AM

Keith cleaned up his ad and added more information:

Kismet

#103 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

A number of Cal-40s have converted the Nav station on the STB side to a top loader Frig/Freezer with chart table on top. It works really well. You don't get a "sit down" chart table, but so what.

BV

#104 tokolosh

tokolosh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

I saw Kismet last weekend. Pretty far gone. IMHO she will need a complete rebuild, the mast and boom have some pretty severe corrosion, the deck has dozens and dozens of holes that have been filled with polyester resin, as has the area around the top rudder bearing in cockpit floor etc etc. Completely uninsurable without complete rewiring. BIG job ahead!

#105 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

Kimb, I'd really like to buy this boat, I just don't have the cash or the place to put it at the moment. If you buy the boat on my behalf and keep at a place secure to you I Promise I will pay back the purchase price and as a guarantee to you if I never come up with the funds to buy the boat, You can keep the boat.
Sound fair?

:D

#106 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

Hey, that works for me too..........................................................

#107 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Kismet

"Postings been flagged for removal" .... wonder why.

#108 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Kismet

Well duh. Kimb has taken up my kind offer. :D

#109 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

1341128181[/url]' post='3771389']
Kimb, I'd really like to buy this boat, I just don't have the cash or the place to put it at the moment. If you buy the boat on my behalf and keep at a place secure to you I Promise I will pay back the purchase price and as a guarantee to you if I never come up with the funds to buy the boat, You can keep the boat.
Sound fair?

What a generous guy you are!

#110 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

i don't know if someone posted this..., but Lyman Morse has a brokerage Cal 40 for $150k..., that apparently still needs some work.

The exterior looks pretty nice.

Lyman Morse Brokerage

I have no idea if that is a reasonable price for a restored Cal 40, but if it is, it certainly seems that the craigslist boat is worth the effort and expense...

#111 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Kismet

Was like that from the start. The original link has been updated though.

#112 jurrasicsailor

jurrasicsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

I own the cal 40 Belle Aurore. Have owned a few boats, but none so satisfying as she. The lines will elicit nothing but smiles, countless people will regale you with stories of their youth spent sailing on or against a cal 40, and anytime you so decide, you can gear up, take the most successful ocean racer of all time and go kick ass. She'll be dead simple to maintain, and will save your ass anytime you put yourself in a bad situation. And coolest of all, you can call up the only double Rolex winner couple on the planet, and not only will they take your call, the Honey's will freely share their hard won knowledge. With only a 5'9" draft, she is capable of going gunkholing in places no modern racer can even consider. My wife loves the tiller because it puts me nearer the middle of the boat, so I don't have to bellow to be heard by the crew on the rail, and at the dock it simply swings up out of the way, providing a lovely cockpit for lounging. I admit the interior is small, more in line with a modern 33 footer, but for a couple and occasional guest or two, pretty darn perfect. Take the leap!

Kismet

Was like that from the start. The original link has been updated though.

#113 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

i don't know if someone posted this..., but Lyman Morse has a brokerage Cal 40 for $150k..., that apparently still needs some work.

The exterior looks pretty nice.

Lyman Morse Brokerage

I have no idea if that is a reasonable price for a restored Cal 40, but if it is, it certainly seems that the craigslist boat is worth the effort and expense...

Really nice Cal 40s sell in the $55K range, so I doubt that Lyman Morse will get even 1/2 of the $150K --- there are just too many nice boats that you can get for far less, and while Cal 40s are truly classics, it's not a 1965 Mustang that a collector is going to see and say "I have to have that". If the boat still needs some work (as the ad says), it's a complete non-starter....for anywhere near $150K, that boat has to be *perfect* right down to gleaming engine and a bilge you could eat from.

WWing
(parents owned "Maria", 1966 light blue Cal 40 from Milwaukee that they brought to PNW - still here and still sailing afaik)

#114 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Didn't see any info in this thread. The boat in the OP has been sold. Anyone here buy it?

#115 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

1341128181[/url]' post='3771389']
Sound fair?

So I take it that "I bought the boat on behalf for this chap I met on the internet, and the sod let me down :( " just wouldn't fly?

#116 islandplanet

islandplanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Stan and Sally Honey's Cal 40 Illusion was a derelict sitting out in a field that someone had used for a bit of target practice. Boat was a real wreck before they brought her back from the dead. Back in the 90's Stan and Sally invited me on board and I was blown away by how well executed the restoration was. Illusion stands out in my memory as one of the nicest boats I've been on.

#117 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Sound fair?

So I take it that "I bought the boat on behalf for this chap I met on the internet, and the sod let me down :( " just wouldn't fly?

darn I got all busy this weekend with the water/power to the dock thing and forgot to go check on the cal 40, I also got distracted by this girl.......

Attached Files

#118 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Sound fair?

darn I got all busy this weekend with the water/power to the dock thing and forgot to go check on the cal 40, I also got distracted by this girl.......

wait, where's the front?

oh, I see :D

#119 SpongeDeckSquareFoil

SpongeDeckSquareFoil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Any idea what all the gudgeons are used for? Never saw something like that.

The boat in the background looks pretty sweet too.

#120 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

Any ideas what all the gudgeons are used for? Never saw something like that.

? Removable outboard bracket

#121 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

Outboard bracket.

Boat in background is our R-Boat "Pirate".
http://www.r-boat.org/

#122 SpongeDeckSquareFoil

SpongeDeckSquareFoil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

Thanks. I can see it now.
A bit different than my initial thought of beer holders for varying conditions.

#123 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Outboard bracket.

Boat in background is our R-Boat "Pirate".
http://www.r-boat.org/

Kimb & SpongeDeckSquareFoil,

I think that the gudgeons may be for long oars. In the late '60s I crewed on a Rozinante that had oars to get her from her mooring to the dock. They looked exactly like that.

BV

#124 SpongeDeckSquareFoil

SpongeDeckSquareFoil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

Too close to the shrouds? Also looks like there might be oarlocks just forward of the winches.

#125 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

Too close to the shrouds? Also looks like there might be oarlocks just forward of the winches.

Well.... I was looking at the ones forward of the winches. I can't see what you all were looking at.... I'll just pour another glass of wineeee nowwww.

B

#126 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

I was going to guess boarding steps, but I suspect kimb knows exactly what he's talking about.

#127 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

Well.... I was looking at the ones forward of the winches. I can't see what you all were looking at.... I'll just pour another glass of wineeee nowwww.

B

The ones on the hull under the shrouds...

How about "bases for Luxo lamps"? Original Luxo lamps fit 1/2" oarlock sockets perfectly.

#128 froggie

froggie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Heck, I thought those were the mounts for the steering oar !

It is clearly on the steerboard side, and they had to unship it since they didn't dock on the port side.

#129 SpongeDeckSquareFoil

SpongeDeckSquareFoil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

B

The ones on the hull under the shrouds...

How about "bases for Luxo lamps"? Original Luxo lamps fit 1/2" oarlock sockets perfectly.

Good point. Important for night fishing.

#130 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

So did Kismet sell yet?

#131 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

It's baaaaaack!

http://www.yachtworl...A/United-States

#132 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,519 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

It even has tiller rigging. Hard to resist.

#133 sam_crocker

sam_crocker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

It even has tiller rigging. Hard to resist.

Is that one or two spreaders on the tiller?

#134 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,519 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

I thought it meant a bunch of tillers bolted end-to-end instead of metal wires. Sounds attractive. Most tillers are better looking than wires.

#135 sailglobal

sailglobal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Tom, did you mean "wires" or "wives"?

#136 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,519 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

You do not bolt wives, you screw them!

#137 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

photo 15

love the outhaul setup. Makes vang adjustments a bitch though.

#138 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

It seems that someone is going to attempt to save this boat. http://forums.sailin...howtopic=145531

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users