8 replies to this topic

#1 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

I want to replace the standing rigging on my Frac J 29 and really don't want to pull the mast. It's not that I cant it's just I need to move the boat and it would turn into a 2 day affair. So I thought I could just use the new running rigging as a back up while I am changing it out and just do one at a time. All I need to do is 2 upper 2 lower and a forstay. I could just haul my son up he's 25 and not a big guy and he know how it all goes together. And he does not know about this yet.

Anybody do this?

Cliff

#2 Super Delegate

Super Delegate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Custom Rigging Solutions

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Yes, its possible. However, sending someone up the mast while swapping out shrouds could be dangerous.

You will probably need to loosen stay tension on not only the shroud you are replacing but also the opposite shroud, just to allow you enough play to reattach the turnbuckle. This is tricky because now you have a somewhat loose mast.

In theory you want one or two halyards to take the temporary load of the replaced shroud. Usually, spin and main halyard, while he goes up on Jib. When you swap out cap shrouds, keep the forestay and backstay tight, when you swap forestay and backstay, keep shrouds and diags tight. Always use the halyards as support in the side you are replacing. Cleat them off to the side you want and winch down.

Keep your wits about you when doing this, measure three times cut once.... Good luck.

#3 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

When all is said and done it will probably take you less time to just pull the mast rather than change the rigging with the mast stepped. Besides being a lot easier to work on, you can be certain the change is done properly and most importantly notice things that just aren't quite right.

#4 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Do you have a section of mast that you can make a gin pole out of? Pull the stick on your own and do it right.

#5 Blackadder

Blackadder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

I want to replace the standing rigging on my Frac J 29 and really don't want to pull the mast. It's not that I cant it's just I need to move the boat and it would turn into a 2 day affair. So I thought I could just use the new running rigging as a back up while I am changing it out and just do one at a time. All I need to do is 2 upper 2 lower and a forstay. I could just haul my son up he's 25 and not a big guy and he know how it all goes together. And he does not know about this yet.

Anybody do this?

Cliff

How are you and your son doing ? do you have good insurance ?

Just my opinion but I think its an outstandingly bad idea. The only good thing is the J/29 frac mast is pretty stout.

#6 Kenny Dumas

Kenny Dumas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Got a buddy with a taller mast? Send son up in chair on buddy's boat and have him pull the J29 mast over to him.

#7 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

I think I am going to just yank the mast seems like it might just be simpler.

Cliff

#8 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

I think I am going to just yank the mast seems like it might just be simpler.

Cliff

THere was a guy in Ft Laud tried this and he was working solo and had hauled himself to the top of the mast and when he pulled a cap shroud pin the whole rig slowly started towards the dock side of the boat. The stretch of the halyard which was the only thing left between him and disaster let it lean further and further. The guy started hollering for help and the neighbors watched in amazement as his weight started rolling the boat and finally something let go and the mast toppled into the yard with him still clipped in his bosun chair at the top. As they ran to the hedge expecting the worse, they saw the guy smack dab in the middle of the swimming pool with only his pride hurt! Be sure to set up a GoPro or some sort of camera if you try this, we want to share...

#9 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:45 AM

Have you ever spent a couple hours in a bosun's chair ?

Have you ever struggled to re-rig a mast on racks ON THE GROUND ?

Ever fumble with the clevis pins in a completely stationary setting ?

I have.

Now imagine holding the weight of the rigging up while trying to reeve the pins...

Like many things your idea is OK in concept but an absolute & total pain in actual practice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users