314 replies to this topic

#1 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:54 AM

This may have been covered and I may have totally missed it, but I just saw this on the AC site: http://www.americasc...e-comes-to-NBC/

We'll be having a 90-minute broadcast of the final day in Newport (6 days away) across the US on NBC, and all over the world on sports channels (at least that's how I read it). Unfortunately it does mean that there will be no live broadcasts on YouTube (at least in the US, and wherever else their agreement states no other broadcasts).

Will you be watching? Or just moaning about the lack of a free internet broadcast?

#2 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Well I'll sure be moaning if they cut my interweb feed.

Another great example of competitive capitalism - pay us to broadcast your programming! - oh and by the way, cut off the audience and platform you have been developing yourselves.

We might have a huge presence in every living room, but we're not self-confident enough to face any competition.

Meet the Posted Image

#3 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

No problem here, folks: If you don't have NBC or don't want to watch it on TV, just use a free proxy server like this one. Voila: Your IP is hidden and your Youtube isn't blocked.

http://hidemyass.com/proxy/

#4 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Should be on the front page for the general SA readership.

Hopefully a.) most will be out sailing and can record it , b.) NBC doesn't completely fuck up the production and c.) Don't have to watch or listen to Jobson doing commentary (they should get Casey).

#5 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,155 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

I have OTABTV (HD Antenna for over the air broadcast) and the Interweb

if this is going to be NBC's main broadcast I'll get it otherwise yet another one I'll miss

anyone out their watched / recorded every race so far

How many races have you actually watched live or otherwise ??

#6 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

b.) NBC doesn't completely fuck up the production and c.) Don't have to watch or listen to Jobson doing commentary (they should get Casey).

I have a feeling I read somewhere that because every country has a different channel running it that there would be one overall production by the same guys who do the youtube stuff, NBC and all the other channels will just be streaming it and filling in the ads...

As for who's gonna be chatting non-sense at non-sailors, I have no idea, but if I'm going to sit through the whole thing it better be good...

#7 Rebel6381

Rebel6381

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

Has anyone gotten this to work? I've tried it with the Newport Base Cam feed but the video doesn't load. Just black where the video should be.

No problem here, folks: If you don't have NBC or don't want to watch it on TV, just use a free proxy server like this one. Voila: Your IP is hidden and your Youtube isn't blocked.

#8 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Has anyone gotten this to work? I've tried it with the Newport Base Cam feed but the video doesn't load. Just black where the video should be.

In the US it is being presented live on NBC. Live webcam is working here:

http://www.youtube.c...d?v=IKW-YVo0Ffo

#9 Rebel6381

Rebel6381

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

I don't have access to a TV with NBC. I've ditched cable and only have Netflix streaming. I was hoping to watch the Live Race Feed through the proxy server but it doesn't seem to be working with youtube live feeds

#10 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,126 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

I was hoping to watch the Live Race Feed through the proxy server but it doesn't seem to be working with youtube live feeds

I tried it too with the same result, so it's not just you.

#11 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

I don't have access to a TV with NBC. I've ditched cable and only have Netflix streaming. I was hoping to watch the Live Race Feed through the proxy server but it doesn't seem to be working with youtube live feeds

Well, seeing Rebel6381 is in NY, and CT seems to have the same problem, I'd say it is a black-out issue. SR, not sure what is happening out there. Just checked and the webcam is up, having tried it on the desktop now.

Hmmmm.

#12 Rebel6381

Rebel6381

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm still trying to find a proxy site that works but at the very least we can get the audio commentary from Virtual Eye http://americascup.virtualeye.tv/

#13 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'm still trying to find a proxy site that works but at the very least we can get the audio commentary from Virtual Eye http://americascup.virtualeye.tv/

I guess NBC is not programming it on their website either?

#14 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Have you tried a free VPN service? http://www.nirmaltv..../best-free-vpn/

#15 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Suffering through a 'Tummy Tuck' infomercial until the racing comes on. May not be so bad not having it right now...................................

#16 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Sorry guys but it just too funny. One of the world's top businessmen (or his minions) apparently makes deals with broadcasters, not only to pay them to play his content, but gives up all alternative delivery within those 'territories', but forgets to get a guarantee that the programming will actually be aired!Posted Image

Tell me it's not true.

Edit: Well for the States it just might work afterall...

We are LIVE on NBC today at 1430 EDT - first time sailing has been on prime time since 1983!
If you are in the US, please tune in to NBC as American audiences will be geo-blocked on AC's YouTube.
We will have a replay at 1615 EDT that fans in the USA can watch.

Posted Image

#17 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

According to my YT feed the broadcast wont start for another 12mins.

#18 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,126 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

VE is live now

http://americascup.virtualeye.tv/

edit: NBC now too - coverage began with some Olympic trials recaps

#19 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

NBC has some douchebag commentating...... Better get a foreign accent in there if you want Americans to watch.

#20 pusslicker

pusslicker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:America's Cup

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

http://www.vipbox.tv...eam-online.html

sky feed for those blocked out of youtube.

#21 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

VE is live now

http://americascup.virtualeye.tv/

edit: NBC now too - coverage began with some Olympic trials recaps

NBC on a newsbreak now, pumping their Olympic coverage.

#22 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,126 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Nice, haven't seen the Sky coverage before

#23 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Nice, haven't seen the Sky coverage before

OK, the bad side of having it on TV.........................commercials. Posted Image

#24 MoMP

MoMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

Courts just slapped Jimmy with a whole lotta education.....

Camera work is better than ever!!!

#25 garboard strake

garboard strake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Jobson sounds like an annoying professor, he is commentating for a non-sailing audience that knows absolutely nothing about sailing, or the ACWS... it is irritating, as when he just said "See that thing? That's a daggerboard!"

ARRRGH... where's Mitch!?!?

#26 MoMP

MoMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Jobson sounds like an annoying professor, he is commentating for a non-sailing audience that knows absolutely nothing about sailing, or the ACWS... it is irritating, as when he just said "See that thing? That's a daggerboard!"

ARRRGH... where's Mitch!?!?

Or when he said stadium sailing has never been seen before. Lying douche. I'm sure the guys at Extreme loved that. Not cool. Someone put him out to pasture.

#27 Naptime

Naptime

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

Short fast legs in cats. Makes for interesting TV.

#28 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Fun to see tweets from people who've never seen sailing before: https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/America's%20cup

#29 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

I don't think they penalize them enough time..... Certainly not the same as if a normal boat doing a 360.

#30 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

And why the fuk is Couts shouting jib trim to his crew?? Like those guys haven't ever sailed before :ph34r: Not impressed with him.

#31 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

Where do you think Gary got the name 'BlowJobson'?

#32 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,051 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

And why the fuk is Couts shouting jib trim to his crew?? Like those guys haven't ever sailed before :ph34r: Not impressed with him.

In the heat of battle ??

Maybe you can go off and win 4 America's Cups and get back to us then and we'll listen to what you have to say.

#33 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

In the heat of battle ??

Maybe you can go off and win 4 America's Cups and get back to us then and we'll listen to what you have to say.

and RC used the 'quickly' word, not allowed on my boat.

Dad used to call-out 'quickly, quickly, quickly' when my 80lb butt was trying to set the whisker pole in 15-18knts as a 11-13 yo. People know not to use it around me. You might say something else, even curse, but not 'quickly'.

Almost came out of the seat when I heard it...................:P

#34 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,051 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

In the heat of battle ??

and RC used the 'quickly' word, not allowed on my boat.

Dad used to call-out 'quickly, quickly, quickly' when my 80lb butt was trying to set the whisker pole in 15-18knts as a 11-13 yo. People know not to use it around me. You might say something else, even curse, but not 'quickly'.

Almost came out of the seat when I heard it...................:P

Well you'd do well on my boat then as we don't use it. It takes too long to say.

More like "go go go" on the rare occasion they need encouragement.

#35 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

In the heat of battle ??

I'm just saying that I expect professionals to act like pros..... not do what we do on weekends. I'm sure he is obviously an awesome racer and accomplished but seems weird to hear that.

#36 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,126 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

^ Yes, RC's boat is intense but of you listen closely they all are, on these boats.

#37 HobieAnarchy

HobieAnarchy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

Sound work, too. Did you hear Russell say, "Not too bad for an old fart, eh?" right after he pwnd Jimmy at the start?

#38 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Sound work, too. Did you hear Russell say, "Not too bad for an old fart, eh?" right after he pwnd Jimmy at the start?

Still got a few moves left.

#39 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

It was great to see the coverage on NBC....

BUT....isn't one of the reason they modified the format was so it would work well with US TV's need to run commercials every 20 mins...

Given the ACEA bought the air time what on earth gave them the crazy idea it was good to show 5 mins of commercials (of the sponsors) right in the middle of the fleet race final, and when they came back on air have shots of the village or a few more before getting back to the action. It's not like the boats stop sailing whilst they are on commercial break.

Beyond that great coverage.

Let alone shutting off the YT Live feed...and disenfranchising a bunch of viewers that they could have gotten accurate viewing statistics and demographics off.

Two steps forward one step back.

#40 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

What they do here with F1 is a 75/25 split screen so you can still see the live racing while they annoy you with commercials.

#41 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Great seeing it in Hi-Def on my big screen. It will be interesting to hear what kind of feedback NBC got. Are they covering any of the racing in SFO in August/September/October this year?

By they way, pretty funny any of you bitching about the ads. This is the only way, long-term, we are going to be able to watch any of this stuff. We can't rely on Larry pissing money away forever without a return on the production dollar.

#42 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Great seeing it in Hi-Def on my big screen. It will be interesting to hear what kind of feedback NBC got. Are they covering any of the racing in SFO in August/September/October this year?

By they way, pretty funny any of you bitching about the ads. This is the only way, long-term, we are going to be able to watch any of this stuff. We can't rely on Larry pissing money away forever without a return on the production dollar.

Pretty funny that as usual you only see things from your point of view..
I thought the point of 20 minute races was so that they could run them without commecials and your face bookers could watch them on their phones before their attention span falls off a cliff....

You probably don't know that in F1, which you guys constantly compare wsl to, the race is shown on SKY commercial free and their races are 2hours long, and if you ever watched a soccer match on tv you would know they play 2x 45 minute halfs free of adverts...

I know.... we haters will never get the plot..blah, blah

#43 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

I thought the point of 20 minute races was so that they could run them without commecials and your face bookers could watch them on their phones before their attention span falls off a cliff....

You probably don't know that in F1, which you guys constantly compare wsl to, the race is shown on SKY commercial free and their races are 2hours long, and if you ever watched a soccer match on tv you would know they play 2x 45 minute halfs free of adverts...

I'm glad you could chip in with your usual, objective, positive contribution. By the way, it would be the heights of arrogance to expect TV to not go by their typical ad schedule, and I don't remember the objective of the shortened races was to avoid having any ad breaks during the action, although simply being able to fit the racing into a likely TV time slot at all was likely a consideration.

#44 GLAZE

GLAZE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and Deer Hunting

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

it was nice to watch sailing on my HD TV vs the computer. The format was just like the youtube format. if they are going to show anymore on TV, then they need to take the nascar approach. When you watch NASCAR, they have a lot of good filler time. if someone is having engine problems, they go to a garage and have an engine broken apart that shows where the failure was. Or like last week when they raced the road course, they showed how the break cooling system worked. And more stories about the sailors. by the end of the program, the only person that was important was Coutts.

#45 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

It seems ironic that a man who has made his fortune from computers, turns his back on them as a delivery mechanism for the 'All New' ACWS/LVC/America's Cup. Kowtowing to TV seems to bring as many negatives as positives, it's old, it's constrained, it's 'owned'!
Build something new, better and smarter with YouTube Live (or ACXYZ, whatever) - works for me Posted Image

#46 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,126 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

That's a lot of people!
--
http://news.providen...-million-1.html

NEWPORT, R.I. -- Officials at NBC Sports said overnight ratings showed about a million people watched Sunday's live broadcast of the America's Cup World Series races off Fort Adams State Park.

#47 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

That's a lot of people!
--
http://news.providen...-million-1.html

NEWPORT, R.I. -- Officials at NBC Sports said overnight ratings showed about a million people watched Sunday's live broadcast of the America's Cup World Series races off Fort Adams State Park.

Mind you the TdF came on immediately after, and they were airing Olympic qualifiers all evening.

#48 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

That's a lot of people!
--
http://news.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/2012/07/nbc-one-million-1.html

Well to put that in perspective and taking into account it was a lead in for some Olympic coverage which was the biggest draw of the evening check out how the AC's possible one million made out against some of the other " heavy weights " that night.
The " R " stands for repeat BTW

FOX

The Simpsons -R 3.080

ABC

Secret Millionaire 4.983

CBS

Hawaii Five-0 -R 4.550

FOX

Bob's Burgers -R 2.446

#49 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,126 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

^ Well sure, but IF something like 1M tuned it in, that just completely dwarfs the highest-simultaneous view numbers we ever saw online, which was around 10K during Naples.

On my feed, the previous show was some ridiculous infomercial that would not have attracted anyone. The TDF did follow, but surely NBC would know at about what time people tuned in, into the 90 minute Newport broadcast. Sponsors would surely have a way to verify NBC's stats, must happen all the time.

#50 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

I think what would have made this work better is that rather than showing the latest edition of America's Cup Uncovered as a lead in to the live broadcast (although I enjoyed that edition tremendously) they cobbled together a leader piece that highlighted the history of the cup including the DoG match from the last go round AND include a bit of a graphic tutorial on how the racing works. It would have kept viewers "attached", and educated to better appreciate the live bcast.

I put my "I know nothing about this sailing stuff" hat on while watching the live bcast and pretty much shook my head. No explanation of the series, the racing format. Basically you didn't know what you were watching, just pretty boats sailing in front of fancy homes. As soon as the match race was over (with no explanation) they went to the fleet race.

My takeaways from the bcast were

1) How unfortunate that someone carries the last name: Spittle
2) Newport is pretty
3) How come when they were all charging around a mark some of them would back off? I was hoping for a crash (layman's hat on here)
4) Wow, cool, you could hear those guys swear and grunt.
5) why do they have an announcer with a jersey/mid-atlantic shore accent? couldn't they find somebody else?
6) it's the 21st century, why are these guys pulling ropes? surely there must be a mechanical answer to this?
7) were those cheerleaders on the mark set boats? do they work for professional teams?
8) how come we didn't see the guy getting sprayed w/champagne, kissed by a gorgeous blond at the end?
9) are there more races coming?

#51 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:02 AM

I think what would have made this work better is that rather than showing the latest edition of America's Cup Uncovered as a lead in to the live broadcast (although I enjoyed that edition tremendously) they cobbled together a leader piece that highlighted the history of the cup including the DoG match from the last go round AND include a bit of a graphic tutorial on how the racing works. It would have kept viewers "attached", and educated to better appreciate the live bcast.

I put my "I know nothing about this sailing stuff" hat on while watching the live bcast and pretty much shook my head. No explanation of the series, the racing format. Basically you didn't know what you were watching, just pretty boats sailing in front of fancy homes. As soon as the match race was over (with no explanation) they went to the fleet race.

My takeaways from the bcast were

1) How unfortunate that someone carries the last name: Spittle
2) Newport is pretty
3) How come when they were all charging around a mark some of them would back off? I was hoping for a crash (layman's hat on here)
4) Wow, cool, you could hear those guys swear and grunt.
5) why do they have an announcer with a jersey/mid-atlantic shore accent? couldn't they find somebody else?
6) it's the 21st century, why are these guys pulling ropes? surely there must be a mechanical answer to this?
7) were those cheerleaders on the mark set boats? do they work for professional teams?
8) how come we didn't see the guy getting sprayed w/champagne, kissed by a gorgeous blond at the end?
9) are there more races coming?

I appreciate you supporting the argument I have made since the race was shown yesterday, with a few additional notes.

#52 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

I'm glad you could chip in with your usual, objective, positive contribution. By the way, it would be the heights of arrogance to expect TV to not go by their typical ad schedule, and I don't remember the objective of the shortened races was to avoid having any ad breaks during the action, although simply being able to fit the racing into a likely TV time slot at all was likely a consideration.

If you ever took off your rose tinted glasses you might see room for improvement in virtually every aspect of the coverage...you probably never watch VOR because the boats are such shitters....but the coverage surpasses 'your best sailors in the best boat' hands down...

With Lazza paying to put it on tv why is it arrogant to think that maybe there could be a bit of out the box thinking with the commercial breaks....and if they have to have the ads why not stop the action and restart when the ads finish...that way we would see the whole race although technically it wouldn't be live...

The way they fit the racing into the time slot is crap right now... but I wouldn't expect you to be able to see that on your 70hd

#53 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

"Onenews.co.nz will carry live streaming of the Louis Vuitton Cup and America's Cup races, currently scheduled to begin on July 8 (NZT). "

http://tvnz.co.nz/sa...e-sails-5462069

Probably not available for those living outside Aotearoa. Can't you guys down there make Germany the North-North Island???

#54 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

"Onenews.co.nz will carry live streaming of the Louis Vuitton Cup and America's Cup races, currently scheduled to begin on July 8 (NZT). "

Probably not available for those living outside Aotearoa. Can't you guys down there make Germany the North-North Island???

Ummm so where does that leave the sorry saps that dont live in NZ???

#55 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,126 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

^ If they have something to stream well then I bet that stream will also be on YouTube (and so available by proxy-switchers) and/or via a local TV broadcast.

They key in the above is that ~something~ will be getting produced, or at least filmed, starting in even the RR racing.

#56 8Y8

8Y8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Right, so who is going to pop that LIVE stream on the internet for us?

#57 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Right, so who is going to pop that LIVE stream on the internet for us?

You can use proxy servers in NZ to get around geo-detection. Google to get the links.

There are also websites like www.cricfree.tv that stream live sport from all over the world. Once again google 'free streaming sport' or the like and you'll find the links.

There are also some sports site that tend to 'cap' sports games and please them online as torrents for ex-pats. They tend to do AFL, Rugby, League, etc. The kiwi ones may do the AC.

#58 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

These guys are good http://www.viponlinesports.eu/ - lets hope they get the Kiwi feed and show it for us all - at least as a back-up for the (unconfirmed?) internet coverage.

#59 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

These guys are good http://www.viponlinesports.eu/ - lets hope they get the Kiwi feed and show it for us all - at least as a back-up for the (unconfirmed?) internet coverage.

Nav ... if and when this happens you will give us the links, n'est pas?

#60 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Another list, another list!!!

Proxies/VPN

I tried these:

Stealthy addon for Firefox and Chrome
ProxTube addon for Firefox and Chrome (website in German)

http://www.expatshield.com/ (gives you a UK IP address)
http://www.usaip.eu/en/free_vpn.php (rather unstable)
http://www.hidemyass.com/

Never tried those:

http://www.privoxy.org/
https://www.torproject.org/
https://www.vpnreactor.com/
http://www.hide-ip-address.net/
http://www.privatepr...y_personal.html
http://www.hide-my-ip.com/
http://hola.org/
http://netscop.net/ (French website)

Other services - sports streaming

Tried:

http://www.viponlinesports.eu/
http://atdee.net/

Not yet tried

http://cricfree.tv/live/index.php

http://www.wiziwig.tv/

#61 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

Updates?

#62 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

Anyone?????

The first race is 9 days away!!!!!

What channel or website?????

Lets not dick around till the day before the first race to try to figure out where to watch it!!!

#63 burbanite

burbanite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Tried to watch the 7's games today using this link, constant virus warnings from Eset.

#64 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Tried to watch the 7's games today using this link, constant virus warnings from Eset.

Have you tried it with the "Watch live on your desktop" link and download, or with one of the alternative links?

#65 burbanite

burbanite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Have you tried it with the "Watch live on your desktop" link and download, or with one of the alternative links?

Yes. Can't get anything to work without allowing all sorts of crap to install, most of which hijacks something. I also tried letting everything install but my antivirus goes nuts. I have used many different sites in the past, Wiziwig was always good to me, P2P worked most of the time but I have had no luck with this one using any of the links.

#66 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

I used to use this site to watch exotic soccer pairings and sailing during the London Olympic Games. It worked fine, but I never used the download thingy, always watched directly in the browser via one of the following, alternative links. The resolution is not stellar, but it was better than nothing.

I would certainly not download and install something from that site.

#67 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

Yes. Can't get anything to work without allowing all sorts of crap to install, most of which hijacks something. I also tried letting everything install but my antivirus goes nuts. I have used many different sites in the past, Wiziwig was always good to me, P2P worked most of the time but I have had no luck with this one using any of the links.

Rennmaus has it right. There can be a few layers of bullshit (overlays etc) you have to ignore to get to the real links on the site - that will simply let you watch games/events in your browser. Click them away (even the 'x's to close layers are moving targets though - the cost of 'free' :( ) So usual circumspection for dealing with slightly dodgy websites applies!

You don't need to download anything. Apologies for any misunderstandings.

#68 burbanite

burbanite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:52 AM

Thanks gents, I played with it a little and got it working satisfactorily. As the time approaches, were would be the best place to find a schedule of possible broadcasts, does such a thing exist?

#69 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

Onenews.co.nz will carry live streaming of the Louis Vuitton Cup and America's Cup races, currently scheduled to begin on July 8 (NZT).

http://tvnz.co.nz/sa...dispute-5477821

#70 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

RP_CASC2D5_5862-780x515.jpg

©ACEA/Ricardo Pinto

America’s Cup racing set for live national broadcast on NBC and NBC Sports Network

July 2, 2013

The first two days of the America’s Cup Final, Sept. 7-8, will air live nationally on NBC, from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm PT (4:00 pm to 6:00 pm ET) each day. Subsequent racing is slated to be broadcast live on NBC Sports Network, from 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm PT (3:30 pm to 6:00 pm ET) on race days.

more... http://www.americasc...-sports-network

#71 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

IT would really be nice of someone who knows about this crap would post up some HOW TO WATCH info for the USA viewers who have to deal with the YouTube channel to watch the LV.  "Americas Cup Youtube Channel" my ass.

HOW does it work?  I've tried to use it before and was so frustrated I gave up.  As did most everyone I know. 

HOW can we watch the races using YouTube?  In simple terms?

#72 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

Thanks gents, I played with it a little and got it working satisfactorily. As the time approaches, were would be the best place to find a schedule of possible broadcasts, does such a thing exist?

This is all I have found so far-

http://www.cupinfo.c...edule-11054.php

#73 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

IT would really be nice of someone who knows about this crap would post up some HOW TO WATCH info for the USA viewers who have to deal with the YouTube channel to watch the LV.  "Americas Cup Youtube Channel" my ass.

HOW does it work?  I've tried to use it before and was so frustrated I gave up.  As did most everyone I know. 

HOW can we watch the races using YouTube?  In simple terms?

Seems like these are pretty simple terms (http://www.americasc...-sports-network):

July 7
12:00 pm PT: Race 1 of the 2013 Louis Vuitton Cup, the America’s Cup Challenger Series, between Emirates Team New Zealand and Italy’s Luna Rossa Challenge, on the America’s Cup YouTube channel, www.youtube.com/americascup.

So, point your Firefox, Chrome, or other web browser at https://www.youtube.com/americascup at 12pm PDT on Sunday, click on "live" or something like that, and lean back in your desk chair, and enjoy the show.

#74 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

I wonder if they will have the virtual eye hooked up for the time trial??

#75 Oneyoti

Oneyoti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Apparently there has been a bit of a safety review and all those wishing to watch the AC live on the web will need to purchase Oracle Computers and software at the bargain knock down price of $8,000 per PC.  ACEA maintains that this last minute change is necessary in the name of safety and in no way has been perpetrated to benefit Oracle's bottom line.  Some TV companies are arguing that they have designed their schedules around broadcasting a fair and reasonable AC and that previously agreed rules have now been changed at the last minute, which is both highly irregular and totally unfair.  In response to these complaints ACEA has issued a statement reminding all concerned that they are totally independent of TO and it is simple coincidence that these late changes appear to benefit Oracle greatly.  Many have feared that these new rules might well cause the 'Faceless Generation' to tune out, but thankfully ACEA has confirmed that so few of them ever bothered to 'tune in' it doesn't really matter anyway.

:)  :)  :)

#76 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks guys.

Hopefully it works out as easily as that.

#77 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,126 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Here's the list of Live events scheduled for on YouTube so far.

http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=2

#78 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,517 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

^

bookmarked

thanks for that

#79 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

Apparently there has been a bit of a safety review and all those wishing to watch the AC live on the web will need to purchase Oracle Computers and software 

:)  :)  :)

The Oracle purchase requirement was mandated as a part of a FCC filing for broadcast rights.   You don't want to go against the FCC do you?

#80 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Where will today's "Special Event" be broadcast? There's no YT link, as far as I can see.

#81 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,051 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

Where will today's "Special Event" be broadcast? There's no YT link, as far as I can see.

The press conference will be live streamed on www.americascup.com

In about 1:20.

#82 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

I know, also on YT (http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wggjIxpneKY). What about the "Specal Event" (time trial or boat towing or whatever)?

#83 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,051 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

I know, also on YT (http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wggjIxpneKY). What about the "Specal Event" (time trial or boat towing or whatever)?

Don't know if it's live streamed or not - headed over to watch it.

#84 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

Time Trials cancelled due to high winds, over 20knts now and expected to increase, per regatta director John Craig. Parade is still on.

#85 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Time Trials cancelled due to high winds, over 20knts now and expected to increase, per regatta director John Craig. Parade is still on.
Well that's an auspicious start. Safety first. Guess I'll stay home today.

#86 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Sigh...

#87 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,051 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thanks - it does look like breeze on for 9:30 in the morning, likely to strengthen.

#88 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Daytona Coke Zero 400 qualifying is at 4:10pm US eastern time............. ;)

(if it doesn't rain)

#89 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Daytona Coke Zero 400 qualifying is at 4:10pm US eastern time............. ;)

(if it doesn't rain)

Stena Match Cup Sweden is on since a couple of days, so enough sailing to watch for your pleasure, if you like internet streams.

#90 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

So the only points of interest remaining are: will any boat get blown over during the 'parade' and will they go home afterwards like good boys and girls - or go out and practice despite the untenable conditions just to be annoying? ;)

#91 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

OK, got the desktop running the TV and watching the countdown, laptop in the recliner. Kinda reminds ya' of the Apollo launches.............well except having home computers and watching on-line instead of listening to Walter Cronkite on CBS.

#92 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Live press conference 10am PT http://www.youtube.com/americascup  Iain Percy SWE Dean Barker NZL Max Sirena ITA James Spithill USA & Iain Murray  dunno about being on teevee tho

#93 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

FFS cancelling the time trials because of wind!!!!!

Once again, over promise and under deliver.

#94 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

I left my apartment at about 9a to go wait for a Transbay bus only to get to AC Park and have one of the people at the gate tell me it was canceled.  Turned right back around.  The only reason I went was to catch a glimpse of the 72s sailing.  I hope there are better days to come!

#95 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Oh, the (towing) parade is canceled too?

#96 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Has Barclay been watching the pre-fight press conferences for boxing matches by any chance?I

#97 jason-is

jason-is

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:You Know Sailing

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

I left my apartment at about 9a to go wait for a Transbay bus only to get to AC Park and have one of the people at the gate tell me it was canceled.  Turned right back around.  The only reason I went was to catch a glimpse of the 72s sailing.  I hope there are better days to come!

#98 jason-is

jason-is

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:You Know Sailing

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

luck that you didn't plan your vacation around it

#99 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Updated 2013-07-11:

Proxies/VPN

I tried these:

Stealthy addon for Firefox and Chrome
ProxTube addon for Firefox and Chrome (website in German)

http://www.expatshield.com/ (gives you a UK IP address)
http://www.usaip.eu/en/free_vpn.php (rather unstable)
http://www.hidemyass.com/

Will try this:

Media Hint addon for Firefox/Chrome

Never tried those:

ProxMate addon for Firefox and Chrome

http://www.privoxy.org/
https://www.torproject.org/
https://www.vpnreactor.com/
http://www.hide-ip-address.net/
http://www.privatepr...y_personal.html
http://www.hide-my-ip.com/
http://hola.org/
http://netscop.net/ (French website)

Other services - sports streaming

Tried:

http://www.viponlinesports.eu/
http://atdee.net/

Not yet tried

http://cricfree.tv/live/index.php
http://www.wiziwig.tv/

#100 march

march

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Has anyone had success using the Twonky Beam app to stream live races (or non-races as it is) through their TV? The Youtube replays work, but am struggling with the live feed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users