• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Robcooper0767

Robcooper0767

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - sailing, hiking, camping, photography, trying to make an old boat new

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

"Passeggiata" has been launched for the first time in 2+ years last Friday! We bought her last fall and I'm looking for recommendations on Specs for rig tuning. Old websites for Pearson specific info, ie. Bill Shaw, etc, are no longer valid. She needs rig tuning.....too long on the hard and probably unstepped in the past (some evidence)

Does anyone have Spec advice for standard, single set of spreaders 1974 P30 setup would be appreciated. Have never done this before, want to learn. May "watch" someone do it first time, but I'm finding many options and different recommendations based on specific boats and racer vs. cruiser. Want performance, but won't formally race this year. Need to "learn" her first.
I've got a 100 (dacron - almost new - with racing battens), 150 (a bit long in the tooth), 160 drifter (mylar - almost new) and fully battened main (neither old or new).

Thanks for your help.
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644

#2 stickboy

stickboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:21 AM

You need to pop over to Cruising Anarchy and introduce yourself to Ajax
http://forums.sailin...howtopic=135977

#3 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

You need to pop over to Cruising Anarchy and introduce yourself to Ajax
http://forums.sailin...howtopic=135977

Except that ajax hasn't figured out how to tune his rig yet. Was still asking about it and hadn't gotten around to it last I checked.

#4 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Sail and Rig Tuning by Ivar Dedekam. Or similar.

Let's face it. A single spreader masthead rig with a stout mast is not an arrangement that's open to a lot of subtle adjustment. Generic advice is going to get you 90% (or more) of the way. This involves making sure the mast is standing up straight and stay tensions are appropriate. Mast rake is usually set to balance the boat so you can sail upwind with a small rudder angle. You may have a backstay adjuster.

Designers specify wire for the normal working load. The book tells you how to work backward from the wire size to deduce what that is. You can get an idea of the maximum backstay tension the designer had in mind. If you follow all the recommendations, you'll have a safe boat that sails just fine.

#5 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Rig tuning on a Pearson 30?

Are you people serious?

#6 auggie

auggie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Haven't really looked too much at this

http://forums.pearso...earchid=3287114

but whatever info you can find on P30 tuning or older Catalinas, Morgans,etc should work out. Just get that telephone pole straight/plumb and snug things up and you should be fine. Let the rig stretch after first easy sail and snug her up again.

take a look at this too:

http://morgan24site....4usermanual.htm

again, generic tuning for the older boat...

#7 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

This is a bone-headedly simple rig. Once you have a basic understanding of things as described here you should be all set. Then just sail the thing and have fun.

#8 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Call Verizon I think they have the numbers

#9 my nuts

my nuts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

do yourself a favor and have a rigger inspect it before you put too much time into tuning it. while these things were built to survive a direct nuclear strike, there may be some corrosion issues, especially if you think that the rig might have been unstepped once in the intervening 38 years. then ask the rigger that you hired for inspection what he recommends for tuning. then do what semisalt said.

also, you can ask the previous owner.

#10 stickboy

stickboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

check your PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users