53 replies to this topic

#1 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Another entry into the fast IRC 40(ish) market, a 42 by JV to be built by Hakes Marine's new operation in China. To join the Ker and the Summit/Mills.

http://www.hakesmari...e_20120626.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

Doesn't look too bad, any more details around? Weight etc, no links or anything like that in the press release.

#3 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Doesn't look too bad, any more details around? Weight etc, no links or anything like that in the press release.

Your owner still tyre kicking or has he given up on the new boat?

#4 Lostmydetailsagain

Lostmydetailsagain

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

Anybody else think it is strange that Hakes goes bust in NZ and the facility is empty and then opens up in China with a full infrastructure the next day...

#5 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

Care to elaborate?

#6 2XD

2XD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Anybody else think it is strange that Hakes goes bust in NZ and the facility is empty and then opens up in China with a full infrastructure the next day...

that's called a strategic master plan these days

#7 Sailabout

Sailabout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Interests:Engines

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

looks like someone in China wants him more then NZ does?

#8 judel/vrolijk & co

judel/vrolijk & co

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:sailing, design, engineering, brokerage

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Dear sailors,

You can find further information and specification on Yachtworld:
http://www.yachtworl...2540850/Germany

First boat will be launched in Europe in Spring !

BR

judel/vrolijk & co - brokerage

#9 JonRowe

JonRowe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Looks good, but not outrageously sexy...

#10 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,616 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

another fuckin flush deck limp dick banana boat with reverse shear ala Farr400 whoop dee fuckin doo

#11 Larry Fastfarter

Larry Fastfarter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Buy an add, nice boat though.

#12 Polaris

Polaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Just like the Chinese stealing the Farr 400 design and calling it their own. LOL

#13 csicsailor

csicsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Dear sailors,

You can find further information and specification on Yachtworld:
http://www.yachtworl...2540850/Germany

First boat will be launched in Europe in Spring !

BR

judel/vrolijk & co - brokerage

So, come on, please tell, who's bought her? What is she to be named? What she rate IRC? Is she going to be based on the south coast UK? Will she give the Ker 40's and 46's a run for their money?...

#14 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Did the NZ staff and suppliers get paid?

#15 Yogurt

Yogurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Kite Surfing, Scuba Diving

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

Looks pretty sexy!!! Are there anymore photos?

http://www.hakesmari...se_27022013.pdf

http://www.hakesmari...her-XXX-2_b.jpg

#16 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

New Oystercatcher. Wonder what the plans are?

Posted Image

And have to pose the question: what's she rate?

IUR?

#17 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

Another entry into the fast IRC 40(ish) market, a 42 by JV to be built by Hakes Marine's new operation in China. To join the Ker and the Summit/Mills.

Posted Image

That'll go pretty funny with the tiller hooked up that way.

#18 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

That sucks.. it seems they screwed the employees out of their redundancy payments:

http://www.alfalyrae...er-lays-off-15/

#19 shanghaisailor

shanghaisailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Actually, Paul Hakes is working with Hudson Marine - they provided all the super infrastructure. He didn't up and run like some above are suggesting.

Try problems like glbal economy, rising $NZ etc. Having met Me Hakes he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to shaft his workers. And as far as the boat being a Chinese copy? - 2 things I don't think JV would appreciate suggestions like that and secondly most of the hot 40 somethings are built in China Kerr, Botin etc

See ya on the water

SS

#20 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

That sucks.. it seems they screwed the employees out of their redundancy payments:

Whats the betting the boss doesn't go back to Wellington for a holiday in while?

#21 opa1

opa1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Sailing

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I will not purchase any product that originated in the U.S. but is now manufactured in China. Just won't do it. It's hard, but I am giving it a try. This is a prime example. New Zealand company moves production to China, yet they still want to sell their product in New Zealand. That means New Zealand jobs are adios. If they want to sell their product in New Zealand then I suggest a 100% import tax on that product.

#22 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I will not purchase any product that originated in the U.S. but is now manufactured in China. Just won't do it. It's hard, but I am giving it a try. This is a prime example. New Zealand company moves production to China, yet they still want to sell their product in New Zealand. That means New Zealand jobs are adios. If they want to sell their product in New Zealand then I suggest a 100% import tax on that product.

So you've decided to be 100% anti-globalization. What about if it weren't a bogey-man like China?

As for the 100% tariff, I'd imagine the WTO would have something to say about that.

#23 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

So you've decided to be 100% anti-globalization. What about if it weren't a bogey-man like China?

As for the 100% tariff, I'd imagine the WTO would have something to say about that.

Shhhhh, facts aren't welcome here.

#24 dcbsheb

dcbsheb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

You're a fucking moron. If it were manufactured in the US, you would be bitching about the price tag. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

#25 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

"It will have limited offshore capability to ensure it's always a leading feature at such classics as The Fastnet, The Rolex Sydney to Hobart and Rolex China Sea Race."

That's pretty good offshore capabilities I reckon you need to be at least Cat 2 for all these races.
I guess everybody needs to have a flush decked racer now?

#26 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

"It will have limited offshore capability to ensure it's always a leading feature at such classics as The Fastnet, The Rolex Sydney to Hobart and Rolex China Sea Race."

That's pretty good offshore capabilities I reckon you need to be at least Cat 2 for all these races.

It's like we're going back to the golden days of IOR. On the plus side, it makes getting across on the tacks that little bit easier.

#27 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hobart is Cat 1, I would have thought Fastnet is the at least the same, no idea about China Sea though.

#28 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,238 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

We took so much anti China heat when we did the FT10m project. It's interesting to see how the attitude had changed towards China builds since, in the most part.

#29 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Does it make any difference to sitting on the rail for 4 days?? Flush deck or not, still wet.

I'd be more worried about "limited offshore capability" as you posted above

#30 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Hobart is Cat 1, I would have thought Fastnet is the at least the same, no idea about China Sea though.

Fastnet is Cat 2.

#31 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

What way?

#32 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

What way?

Go back to the beginning and read/veiw posts and pictures. It helps.

#33 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

We took so much anti China heat when we did the FT10m project. It's interesting to see how the attitude had changed towards China builds since, in the most part.

It would be fair to say the reaction depends on the yard a boat comes out of. There doesn't seem to be too many complaints about the McConaghy products out of China...

Mex

#34 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

It would be fair to say the reaction depends on the yard a boat comes out of. There doesn't seem to be too many complaints about the McConaghy products out of China...

Mex

Plus a solid measure of "they took our jobs" anti-globalization hysteria. Seems lifting millions of people outta poverty isn't important.

#35 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,238 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Mex:
I understand totally. But we were taking heat before we even began production. Despite the fact we were working with an established yard that had a very good record for quality at the time, i.e. Passports and Outbounds. I'm not whining. I'm just saying it's interesting how the attitude has changed about China builds. When we tried it was a bad thing. When an established builder moves his production to China to an untried yard its a good thing.

I get it. We were nobodies from nowhere and had no place in the sportboat business. But despite not being in the "cool group" we made some boats that have made a lot of people happy. I love working in China. I like pretty much everything about it. I've worked hard at the language. I have tried to understand the culture. I've been called an "egg", i.e. white on the outside and yellow on the inside. I don't care. I like to see boats being built there. I'd way prefer to see them built here but it doesn't look like that's an option right now. I took a whole bunch of shit 38 yeqars ago when I started to design boats to be built in Taiwan. Damn good thing I did. It pretty much put me on the map and I sufferred all the way to the bank.

I'd love to see a good builder churning out boats in the PNW. None here now.
Mayo banfa ( there is nothing I can do about it).

#36 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

#37 no one important

no one important

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

you obvioulsy dont understanf the difference between comparative and competitive advantages

#38 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

I have no problems with Hakes moving their manufacturing to China... looks like that's the sensible thing to do - if they didn't, chances are they'd just go out of business anyway.

What sucks is that they appear (** NOTE: please someone with more or more recent info than that article correct me here if I'm wrong) to have screwed their local employees out of their employment entitlements by making the local operation go bust.

What way?

depends which way you face when steering, I guess.

#39 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

Posted Image

I don't get it... Tiller is the right way.. Clears the pedestal... Tiller Extension is on correctly.. It seems to be lined up with the stock.. it is at the back of the boat..

Am I missing something or you guys smoking crack again?

#40 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

Posted Image

I don't get it... Tiller is the right way.. Clears the pedestal... Tiller Extension is on correctly.. It seems to be lined up with the stock.. it is at the back of the boat..

Am I missing something or you guys smoking crack again?

must put down that crack pipe.

I looked at it as if the red bit was the tiller (not the extension)... thanks for pointing it out.

#41 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

The "they took our jobs" is, in many cases, a reasonable conlusion. Blaming China for it, though, is not. We allowed them to take our jobs by making our purchase choices based on the price tag only.

#42 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

What way?

Go back to the beginning and read/veiw posts and pictures. It helps.

Listen, Riddler: I'm not Batman. Why don't you just tell me?

#43 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

Mex:
I understand totally. But we were taking heat before we even began production. Despite the fact we were working with an established yard that had a very good record for quality at the time, i.e. Passports and Outbounds. I'm not whining. I'm just saying it's interesting how the attitude has changed about China builds. When we tried it was a bad thing. When an established builder moves his production to China to an untried yard its a good thing.

I get it. We were nobodies from nowhere and had no place in the sportboat business. But despite not being in the "cool group" we made some boats that have made a lot of people happy. I love working in China. I like pretty much everything about it. I've worked hard at the language. I have tried to understand the culture. I've been called an "egg", i.e. white on the outside and yellow on the inside. I don't care. I like to see boats being built there. I'd way prefer to see them built here but it doesn't look like that's an option right now. I took a whole bunch of shit 38 yeqars ago when I started to design boats to be built in Taiwan. Damn good thing I did. It pretty much put me on the map and I sufferred all the way to the bank.

I'd love to see a good builder churning out boats in the PNW. None here now.
Mayo banfa ( there is nothing I can do about it).

Bob, we love the Red Stripe in CT and now have a new friend to play with this summer...3 boats going to Block Island Race Week...should be fun!

#44 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

The "they took our jobs" is, in many cases, a reasonable conlusion. Blaming China for it, though, is not. We allowed them to take our jobs by making our purchase choices based on the price tag only.

Amen. But realistically a NZ boat builder probably costs 3-4 x a Chinese one per hour. Given that even mass produced boats involve a lot of manual labour the cost differentials are huge, even accepting productivity differences (which aren't necessarily huge for manual tasks).

#45 carcrash

carcrash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

Oddly enough, in months before the depression started, I was on a project where we got bids to construct a $5M foam fiberglass one-off performance cruiser (lots of performance). Turned out the US yards could match or beat any yard on Earth -- Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, NZ.

However, the yards in China have really stepped up while the US industry has pretty much collapsed. I thought the accepted wisdom was socialism is bad for economic growth? Hmmm.

#46 jonno

jonno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

I thought the accepted wisdom was socialism is bad for economic growth? Hmmm.

You seem to be confusing China with socialist country.

#47 Still

Still

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

The effects of globalization are tough.

But blowing off the "redundancy payments" and apparently even a weeks worth of wages already earned -- as that article states, unrebutted by Hakes -- well, that's "Lets go burn down his house" territory. I doubt that Mr. Hakes (I liked that Z39 they were building some time back) has moved lock, stock and barrel out of NZ. Like Chris Rock says: "I'm not saying its right. But I understand."

Re this: "All boats to be made in China" trend: for you jokers who talk about it being the way to lift millions out of poverty, well that may be an attenuated (and wholly unintended) side effect. But the primary goal is simply to make more money for McConaghy/Hakes et al. Best way to find out where the cheapest labor is at any given moment is to look inside a Nike shoe and check its place of manufacture.

And while some hardworking Chinese may be lifted, those 15 Kiwis sure got dropped. There's no getting around it.

#48 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

I thought the accepted wisdom was socialism is bad for economic growth? Hmmm.

You seem to be confusing China with socialist country.

Tyrranical Capitalism

B)

#49 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Posted Image

#50 Sailabout

Sailabout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Interests:Engines

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

didnt a few staff go with Hakes to China?

#51 Chucky

Chucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:drinking beer

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

How is this boat any different to the others on the market, ie the Ker40, Farr400 and the Carkeek 40? The STL appears to be shorter than the others for IRC rating reduction?

If the market for the 40 foot races boats is to take off, their IRC rating needs to be competitive (W and LW racing) against the B40, B45 and the TP52's! How is the new Carkeek 45 going on IRC?

#52 xanderlord

xanderlord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

more nice pics on facebook!!

https://www.facebook...&type=1

#53 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Ah, the East Coast. Diluted mud. 

180206_523991784304392_1893247941_n.jpg

947259_523991854304385_781997628_n.jpg

#54 Lawrence

Lawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Back to the boat.

I hear it's coming in about 5.5t but it hasn't been measured yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users