• Please log in to reply
997 replies to this topic

#1 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Probably the most prestigious ocean race of them all is only a few weeks away.
Discuss!

#2 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

http://www.yachtscor...eet.cfm?eID=579

Shaping up to be another beauty!

Currently 44 entries - some stats...
- 'ONE' IRC entry. Does this signal the end of IRC?
- More non spin than spin entries.
- Fleet is led by Beneteau entries with 5, then 4 Pearsons, 3 Catalinas, 3 Hunters, 3 C&C, there is one JBoat entered. Does this signal the end of JBoats?
- Will the Melges 24 hold together and keep its time on the Pearson 30?

Get Psyched!

#3 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Howe dose the off watch sleepe on Melgese 24? :)

#4 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Dont worry! Probably wont make it past fire island inlet!

#5 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

So you our preditting doome and unmittated failiure?? :)

#6 Sheethead

Sheethead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, Bushmills, Mt. Gay, Svedka

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

Wish I could get my crew together for this one.... Youse guys in WLIS need a hand?

#7 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

There's an interesting entry in the DH division...

#8 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

There's an interesting entry in the DH division...

M44s handiwork I thick..... :)

#9 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Are you sure Snaggy? Maybe it is for real?

#10 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

It starts off Brooklyn. They sleep with the fishes.

#11 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Are you sure Snaggy? Maybe it is for real?

I change my accussale aftere readeng thisse,,,,, :)

#12 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

I saw another double-handed entry for a minute on there - JT's Houseboat, owned by Mr. T, Appalachian Backwater Boat Club-rating was in the low three hundreds......someone cleaned up the list tho

#13 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Ist alle funn an games untille......

:)

#14 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

And yet we don't see your beach ball entered.

.....espo threatens to break out his bat?

#15 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Robbie Lager (sp?) tried that 17 years ago.....never forget them looming out of the fog and crossing our stern in LIS....only to see them re appear further aft going the other way an hour later. RL was like a zombie afterwards muttering never again repeatedly into his beer. good times

#16 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

Robbie Lager (sp?) tried that 17 years ago.....never forget them looming out of the fog and crossing our stern in LIS....only to see them re appear further aft going the other way an hour later. RL was like a zombie afterwards muttering never again repeatedly into his beer. good times

About the same good idea as trying to take a Ker 11.3 to Bermuda I guess.

#17 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

About the same good idea as trying to take a Ker 11.3 to Bermuda I guess.

i heard DR went out and towed them back the last part....did the rudder just fall off?

btw...is your boat the dark blue Moondance that was in BDA?

#18 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Melgi 24 ALIR thats crazy, you might as well take a j80 or a j27 or even a pearson 26

#19 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

[/quote]

i heard DR went out and towed them back the last part....did the rudder just fall off?

btw...is your boat the dark blue Moondance that was in BDA?
[/quote]

http://www.oakcliffsailing.org/news

no. i dont sail.

#20 interested party

interested party

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Melgi 24 ALIR thats crazy, you might as well take a j80 or a j27 or even a pearson 26

Exactly!!! I think the Melges will do just fine. Robbie said he had a great time in his. It was a spin halyard failure that doomed him.

#21 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

Exactly!!! I think the Melges will do just fine. Robbie said he had a great time in his. It was a spin halyard failure that doomed him.

Like when the Thomson gang took the Wing Thing (a Kiwi 35 sistership to Wingnuts) and it blew 40 out of the East. They ended up capsized, but got it righted. They said the boat was going so fast that water was coming up between the wings and the main hull like a fire hose. I wouldn't be caught on a melges on that race, no thanks.

#22 Footlong

Footlong

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:Member # 175

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Like when the Thomson gang took the Wing Thing (a Kiwi 35 sistership to Wingnuts) and it blew 40 out of the East. They ended up capsized, but got it righted. They said the boat was going so fast that water was coming up between the wings and the main hull like a fire hose. I wouldn't be caught on a melges on that race, no thanks.

Compared to a Kiwi 35, the Melges is like a Swan.

#23 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

It wasn't the spin halyard that did them in iirc....it was the complete and utter lack of rest and ensuing hallucinations. He had the red boat with a red and white kite. The red ghost she was. Appearing and reappearing from the fog on an endless downwind lift....didn't see him on too many Melgi racecourses after that so take from it what you will.

Huge effort on their behalf though and i believe it hasn't been repeated since.....because it's an insane act!

#24 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

And yet we don't see your beach ball entered.

.....espo threatens to break out his bat?

weeks to go before signup....want to keep a watch on those labrador current eddies.....

#25 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

If the weather is benign, no big deal. If it's not and you do it, you're a halfwit.
Hopefully they will comply with all the requried safety gear, etc., and hopefully there is a sport
boat class because they dont belong with the 4ksb fleet. Otherwise, they're adults. Sign the waiver and
to each his own.

We had to get together to ban sport boats like Melges 32s and Far30's from the Beachpoint Overnite (75-100 mile Junior Race) because some prominent Greenwich and Southport clubs thought those were suitable boats to put 13-17 yr olds on for 18 hours. Couple of thunderstorms prooved otherwise. Where do you spread out a chart and teach navigation in the cabin of a Melges32 when you have 4-5 kids in there hiding from lightning strikes? No heads. Only a hHandhedl vhf. One had no running lights. Anything for a pickle dish i guess.

#26 interested party

interested party

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

It wasn't the spin halyard that did them in iirc....it was the complete and utter lack of rest and ensuing hallucinations. He had the red boat with a red and white kite. The red ghost she was. Appearing and reappearing from the fog on an endless downwind lift....didn't see him on too many Melgi racecourses after that so take from it what you will.

Huge effort on their behalf though and i believe it hasn't been repeated since.....because it's an insane act!

He told me last week that it was the spin halyard. Said he was having a great race until it failed.

#27 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

If the weather is benign, no big deal. If it's not and you do it, you're a halfwit.
Hopefully they will comply with all the requried safety gear, etc., and hopefully there is a sport
boat class because they dont belong with the 4ksb fleet. Otherwise, they're adults. Sign the waiver and
to each his own.

We had to get together to ban sport boats like Melges 32s and Far30's from the Beachpoint Overnite (75-100 mile Junior Race) because some prominent Greenwich and Southport clubs thought those were suitable boats to put 13-17 yr olds on for 18 hours. Couple of thunderstorms prooved otherwise. Where do you spread out a chart and teach navigation in the cabin of a Melges32 when you have 4-5 kids in there hiding from lightning strikes? No heads. Only a hHandhedl vhf. One had no running lights. Anything for a pickle dish i guess.

If the weather is benign.......and the past few summers have seen anything but-last year's ALIR had us and the Navy dodging a tornado coming across the Sound and going into Oyster Bay-couple years back was full on gale with multiple boats calling Coast Guard and running up on beach. Fog can be ridiculous around Montauk, and some of those wave sets rolling from the ocean would put a Melges on its ear.

#28 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

He told me last week that it was the spin halyard. Said he was having a great race until it failed.

:lol:

i mentioned the hallucinations right??

time heals all wounds. 17 years is a reasonably long time

#29 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

some of those wave sets rolling from the ocean would put a Melges on its ear.

nope....yer right about any bad weather making it difficult though

#30 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

to each his own.

If the weather is benign.......and the past few summers have seen anything but-last year's ALIR had us and the Navy dodging a tornado coming across the Sound and going into Oyster Bay-couple years back was full on gale with multiple boats calling Coast Guard and running up on beach. Fog can be ridiculous around Montauk, and some of those wave sets rolling from the ocean would put a Melges on its ear.

True . but you are known to sail with pussies who puke on your liferaft :lol:

Hey..its a dumb idea for alot of reasons. Hopefully they will improve the
gene pool and not cost us taxpayers anything. I recall a J24 that almost sank a few hours after the start once. They pulled into an inlet, withdrew, but never told anyone. USCG was looking for them for a day or so.

ALIR would let a Viper in this race. Alot of people skip this one now and do the Ida lewis Race

#31 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

Ida Lewis a trek from this end of the sound, the trip down the East River is always a blast! And the triangle format makes ida lewis kind of follow the leader race, like that vineyard race few years back when they made us connect the dots cause they predicted light air and everyone had to be back for the 75th year party on sunday

#32 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

to each his own.

gene pool and not cost us taxpayers anything. I recall a J24 that almost sank a few hours after the start once. They pulled into an inlet, withdrew, but never told anyone. USCG was looking for them for a day or so.

ALIR would let a Viper in this race. Alot of people skip this one now and do the Ida lewis Race

"hopefully they will improve the gene pool"????? WTF is that supposed to mean? are you wishing they all die? what the fuck is wrong with you??

gimme a break Cliff, it's around long island and the Melges will do fine I know these guys and they can sail a bathtub in a gale, you make it sound like they are taking it around the horn,
did you notice theres a forum called mini anarchy where guys sail across the atlantic on little boats. OMG that's dangerous. Go check yourself into an old folks home and wait to die.

#33 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

comparing a Melgi to a mini doesn't work....how does an M go shorthanded? not so great unless it's under 6kts.

the acid test will be seeing if they do it twice.

#34 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

wut up S? my comparison was to show that little boats can and do well in long races with the potential for rough conditions.
not how they stack up against each other,
If they do well I'll bet they will be back for more.

#35 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

having fun on the left coast now KE...good to see ya mate. I agree small boats can do...but Melges are fragile beasties. Break any of the tabbing away in the forepeak and ou have one soft boat. From experience it happens quickly.

They can't be compared to Minis in a race like this....some fellas have raced Farr 30's to Hobart too....never twice. hehehe

#36 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

to each his own.

"hopefully they will improve the gene pool"????? WTF is that supposed to mean? are you wishing they all die? what the fuck is wrong with you??

gimme a break Cliff, it's around long island and the Melges will do fine I know these guys and they can sail a bathtub in a gale, you make it sound like they are taking it around the horn,
did you notice theres a forum called mini anarchy where guys sail across the atlantic on little boats. OMG that's dangerous. Go check yourself into an old folks home and wait to die.

+1

#37 landloc

landloc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

Crosslink to the Norwegian Melges wipeout vid

http://www.youtube.c...bed/xNRsK2ocfnA

http://forums.sailin...0

#38 Katydid

Katydid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Flying

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

Spinnaker halyard it was, on the south shore, somewhere around Shinnecock Inlet. The hardest part of preparing for the race was figuring out what to do with the life raft the rules required they take with them, and they had already decided (before the race started) that if it got really out of hand, they'd just turn left and beach her. They forgot to move the halyard a little bit up and down to distribute the chafe, and the halyard wasn't designed to be up for 6 hours at a stretch.

They were eating the competition for breakfast until it broke, though, and they came home with huge grins on their faces, so I don't think it was all that bad. I was working with Robbie at the time, and bummed not to be able to go.

#39 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,629 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

the ALIR is like the mafia....you try to get out, but it pulls you right back in. :P

#40 interested party

interested party

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Contrary to much of the discussion here, this is not an ocean race. Its a coastal race. You never need to be more than a couple of hundred yards from shore, and if the shit really hits the fan, you can beach it. As Kevlar said, these guys have done this race in a J27 (3 times), a J80, a J30, and a half dozen times on other boats. The Melges is faster than any of those boats, and will be a killer in the light air of LI Sound. There is also no big delivery. Ramp launch and haul at start and finish.

#41 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Spinnaker halyard it was, on the south shore, somewhere around Shinnecock Inlet. The hardest part of preparing for the race was figuring out what to do with the life raft the rules required they take with them, and they had already decided (before the race started) that if it got really out of hand, they'd just turn left and beach her. They forgot to move the halyard a little bit up and down to distribute the chafe, and the halyard wasn't designed to be up for 6 hours at a stretch.

They were eating the competition for breakfast until it broke, though, and they came home with huge grins on their faces, so I don't think it was all that bad. I was working with Robbie at the time, and bummed not to be able to go.

and i'm recalling their kite in LIS....mostly because we made the sail....funny eh!

17 yrs is a long time ago....good luck to these fellas though as yer correct if it's light

ps...6 hours wasn't a long time and those spectra halyards were brand new.....i know this because the Melges were brand new then. including ours :rolleyes:

#42 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

I have a better race to do on a better boat.

Not sure it could bet better than last year.

#43 The Owner

The Owner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

In the right conditions the Melges could be a hoot. For about 3 hours. Sure the boat will be fine but the idea of no protection from the elements is a little shaky. Just thinking no chance to get out of the sun, rain, etc even for 5 minutes.

#44 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Bigger issue here is how do you stick one planing sportboat in with a fleet of traditional keelboats. If they have their own division, fine, let them go out there and have fun-if all the Cat A regulations are met and they sign those waivers, go zip along and hope you don't break shit. But to take inherently different animals and stick them in the same ring is patently unfair - the Melges has a phrf rating of 99 or something but that is fiction. If the thing gets up on plane, it should have a rating of -99. How do you put that boat in the same division as Star, for example. An Aeromarine 50 foot ketch. The Viper fleet from Larchmont approached the Can One board about doing Thursday night races-no way to put those guys in with Pearson 26s etc. So they mentioned bringing enough boats to have their own division-which is certainly the right thing to do. One-design sportboats should sail with one-design sportboats. But the thought of taking on the liability of running a race that finishes in the dark, and can be nasty in the spring and fall, with dinghies with jury-rigged lights,(does a flashlight duct-taped to the shrouds connote proper nav lights) did not seem the prudent thing to do-race committees have been sued as has the YRA of LIS over injuries, etc. sustained during a race, regardless of all those waivers signed and language in the NOR and SI's.-it is a litigious society we live in and when the shit hits the fan somebody wants to point a finger.

#45 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Sorry . I didnt know you knew them. That changes everything!
A mini vs. Melges24? Come on man! Go get a coffee and come back!

We did a 50 mile race last night in a shitbox against a well sailed Melges 24 in flat water and 8-12knots. Its a joke in a mixed phrf fleet of displacement boats. Like the Cone. Only bring it out in a reacharound when it has a chance to win off the wind. Big deal. Why not allow Hobie Cats next? Weds nite we sailed against a Viper in our beercan series with C+C 38s, Ericson 30, etc. That will really build participation. I'm sure your pals will survive but they should be scored seperately with similar wingnuts.

Congrats Btotha and Thin Man at Riverside!

#46 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

We did a 50 mile race last night in a shitbox against a well sailed Melges 24 in flat water and 8-12knots. Its a joke in a mixed phrf fleet of displacement boats. Like the Cone. Only bring it out in a reacharound when it has a chance to win off the wind. Big deal. Why not allow Hobie Cats next? Weds nite we sailed against a Viper in our beercan series with C+C 38s, Ericson 30, etc. That will really build participation. I'm sure your pals will survive but they should be scored seperately with similar wingnuts.

Riverside was fun. Some of the most challenging conditions I've seen all season.

#47 interested party

interested party

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Yesterday you said it was dangerous, crazy, and the only boat to try it in the last 17 years failed. Tody you say its an unfair advantage. Hmmm.

#48 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Riverside was fun. Some of the most challenging conditions I've seen all season.

Huh?

#49 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Huh?

I thick he means theire weare girles theire...... :)

#50 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Huh?

I thick he means theire weare girles theire...... :)

he's still waiting for someone to ask him what is the great ride/race he has that he cant make the alir.
I think he's on Prada Swordfish.

Left Hook
Posted Today, 12:18 AM
I have a better race to do on a better boat.

#51 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

Huh?

The very shifty, up and down wind just kept us on our toes as we worked our way back along the CT shore.

#52 minstrel70

minstrel70

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:03 AM

Huh?

The very shifty, up and down wind just kept us on our toes as we worked our way back along the CT shore.

Yeah, never had those kind of conditions on Long Island Sound before.

Kidding aside, though, you guys sailed a great race.

#53 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:48 AM

Huh?

Yeah, never had those kind of conditions on Long Island Sound before.

Kidding aside, though, you guys sailed a great race.

Thanks. Being up and in the midst of the division ahead of us was good motivation to push harder. You and the SS boys made some pretty good moves to win your division as well. Gybing farther north than we dared, hitting the beach in darien, etc.

We put the hammer down and won it!

#54 robertfraser

robertfraser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

I'm trying to work out a few things to join this race....

Does anyone know where can I rent a liferaft locally?

#55 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

Don't believe one is required for this race but..
http://lrse.com/

#56 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Landfall Navigation?? give Boat US a call, they rent epirbs, plbs and the such ...maybe they rent liferafts out...

#57 interested party

interested party

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Don't believe one is required for this race but..
http://lrse.com/

It is required.

#58 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Absolutely required, and your only hope is LRSE-

#59 BigBlueSailor

BigBlueSailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

I did a race around long island in a powerboat two years ago. The race was called The Don Aronow Memorial Marathon and it truly was a Marathon. I give a lot of credit to anyone attempting it, be it by sail or power it is a grueling run. Check this out for details… http://www.nationalp...m/donaronow.htm

#60 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

YRALIS Cat A. Race

A 3.13
At least one of the following:
a. A life raft or inflatable dinghy, both of which must
have bottle inflation and be capable of carrying the
entire crew.
b. A survival suit for each member of the crew.

I know of people that have bought rubber dingies at WalMart and had a scuba tank on board to 'comply'.

#61 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

YRALIS Cat A. Race

A 3.13
entire crew.

I know of people that have bought rubber dingies at WalMart and had a scuba tank on board to 'comply'.

smart! and responsible! its all fun til the shit hits the fan....

#62 GD206

GD206

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

if I know Jim he will finish the race

#63 TomTraubert

TomTraubert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

YRALIS Cat A. Race

A 3.13
entire crew.

Sadly, a number of people who do this race act as if the shit will never hit the fan.

#64 GD206

GD206

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Peter Jim did take his J 80 and his J 27 around the Island he has not owned a pearson 26 yet

#65 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

YRALIS Cat A. Race

A 3.13
entire crew.

Sadly, a number of people who do this race act as if the shit will never hit the fan.

i remember some old timer talking about seeing 90 knts back in the late 70's early 80s.....

#66 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Peter Jim did take his J 80 and his J 27 around the Island he has not owned a pearson 26 yet

Yes, I know. That was the point of my post, next time I will end with a :lol: when I am being sarcastic. though I might risk the wrath of Do Rag for using an emoticon

I agree with you I think the Melges will finish.

#67 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

YRALIS Cat A. Race

A 3.13
entire crew.

i remember some old timer talking about seeing 90 knts back in the late 70's early 80s.....

90? I seene 50 toppes. :)

#68 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

YRALIS Cat A. Race

A 3.13
entire crew.

Saw gusts into the high 40's-50's when Bob rolled through.

#69 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

YRALIS Cat A. Race

A 3.13
entire crew.

I think 90 was back when we were on the metric system

#70 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

[/quote]90? I seene 50 toppes. :)
[/quote]

Guy had done every race, was receiving a special award......

#71 interested party

interested party

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Jim's first sailboat was a Pearson 26, which he sailed in the ALIR in 1988 getting a 2nd in division 1.

#72 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

YRALIS Cat A. Race

A 3.13
entire crew.

I think 90 was back when we were on the metric system

Or when JT had a job?

#73 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

no liferaft? where will i direct my yarf without one?!

#74 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

if its blowing 90 , it wont hit the raft

#75 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Only about 40 knots in the Nor'easter of about '82 or '83 when African Warrior did a piroette on the pole and snapped the rig. We did the same thing on Dawn Treader but there was no breaking that telephone pole. We did break the spin pole and had no spare. Ended up losing the race to Breakaway because we could only wing out a jib. We were threatening to take apart the pipe berths to splint the pole. The MFO wasn't having any of that though.

#76 Footlong

Footlong

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:Member # 175

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Only about 40 knots in the Nor'easter of about '82 or '83 when African Warrior did a piroette on the pole and snapped the rig. We did the same thing on Dawn Treader but there was no breaking that telephone pole. We did break the spin pole and had no spare. Ended up losing the race to Breakaway because we could only wing out a jib. We were threatening to take apart the pipe berths to splint the pole. The MFO wasn't having any of that though.

I was on Breakaway. Wild ride.

#77 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Guy was really old....

#78 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Or when JT had a job?

he does have a job. we pay him to break your balls take the mikey out of you using obscure British idioms

#79 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Nah, taking the piss is just a hobby.

#80 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

Jim's first sailboat was a Pearson 26, which he sailed in the ALIR in 1988 getting a 2nd in division 1.

Thanks you, now my post makes even more sense GD206?

#81 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

Thor eyerdahl sailed a balsa raft across the Pacific and came in first. So what?

#82 wastedandwounded

wastedandwounded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Or when JT had a job?

he does have a job. we pay him to break your balls take the mikey out of you using obscure British idioms

Obscure British idioms? Damn, I thought it was an argot.

#83 interested party

interested party

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

Thanks you, now my post makes even more sense GD206?

Thanks, kevlar. I don't know either. I do know the Pearson 26 was the real work. The M24 will be a blast.

#84 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

bump....8 days till we drift around Long Island....who's in for the fun :huh:

#85 interested party

interested party

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

Weather looks good. SW wind Thursday, going to East midday Friday

#86 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Who wants to make a prediction on how long it will take to finish?

#87 Bitpitch

Bitpitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

1342966652[/url]' post='3795911']
Who wants to make a prediction on how long it will take to finish?

Haven't you learned your lesson yet about asking this question?

#88 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Some Dilberts never learn.

#89 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

From your lips to gods ears!

#90 The Owner

The Owner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

A few sources seem to have Thursday evening- Fri AM, SSW, 25-35. Hope the Melges crew is well rested! Good luck all.

#91 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

I wanna see it blow 50 again. That was a good time.

#92 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

[/quote]

From your lips to gods ears!
[/quote]

+100! but it aint gonna happen, they always tease you....

#93 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

I'm trying to save my voice for when I'm asked to read off speed, heading and bearing to the mark every fifteen seconds.

#94 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:27 AM

I'm trying to save my voice for when I'm asked to read off speed, heading and bearing to the mark every fifteen seconds.

I have duct tape ;-) bring the go pro

#95 24_Racer

24_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Cold beer, warm whiskey

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

I have duct tape ;-) bring the go pro

Bring the coconut bikini for the start. That'll be a gopro moment.

#96 interested party

interested party

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

A few sources seem to have Thursday evening- Fri AM, SSW, 25-35. Hope the Melges crew is well rested! Good luck all.

If that prediction of 25-35 for Thursday evening into Friday morning is still there Thursday morning, the Melges won't be there.

#97 titanuranus

titanuranus

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

You can blow 50? In one night? Isnt your record 46?

#98 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

verry weeke, :)

#99 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

verry weeke, :)

Hang on, I'm confused, is this a comment on the joke or the boy's implied effort?

#100 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Please tell us what the range and bearing to the mark is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users