7 replies to this topic

#1 saxdog

saxdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

My insurer of choice, Amica, does not give what I feel is a realistic value of my one design boat. They're not too enthusiastic about a word like "racing" either. The US Sailing program has a specific deductible for racing. So, I am considering changing my boat insurance to the US Sailing program who seem to be willing to value the boat about like the market for this boat. Have you had experience with this insurance program? How was it? Thanks

#2 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Progressive for six years. No problems but no claims either.

#3 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I had my Santana insured through the US sailing OD insurance plan.

Had to make a claim after a tornado picked my boat up and threw it about 50 yards. I took pictures that night and emailed them to my agent, he called the next day and said based on the pictures it would be totaled and that I needed to email them the title and they would send me a check for the agreed amount. Also they paid me $1000 to do the salvage myself so they didn't have to deal with it.

Had the check in my hand 7 days after the tornado, and a new boat 10 days after. So the claims process was amazing!

Now the bad part, they did drop me after that and refused to insure the new boat. But they were great and the guys who I talked to knew sailing well and it was a fun time calling them.

#4 Bacchus66

Bacchus66

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

I went through them as well.

In a regatta I didn't see a starboard boat in time on an upwind leg in about 17-20 mph of breeze. (Inland 20 scows.) We both saw each other at the last minute and unfortunately we made the same choice to go up to avoid and I holed him pretty badly.

They handled it great for the other guy, paid for full repairs to his satisfaction. In particular they were very straightforward and knowledgeable when I they called and asked for details and didn't try and fudge the situation at all.

They did raise my rate the next year, but that was to be expected and wasn't that much relatively speaking.

I haven't sailed in a couple of years due to knee surgery and related issues, but when the boat goes back on the water I'll be ensuring through them again.

#5 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

I just purchased a policy for my Zap 26 through them. Agreed value of #25K for $444 /year. The way I read the policy, anything that happens, they are on the hook for up to $25K, Mast or Hull.

Navigation limitations, some point in Oregon south of the Columbia Bar to Somewhere south of Cabo and out to 250 miles offshore.

I talked to a broker and he said it was a good policy.

We'll see if I have to make a claim.

#6 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

I went with them/gowrie for my 29er. Had to put in a claim for the rig and they still wanted me back. I had to drop since I don't really need insurance for my boat, I only got it because I needed liability insurance for a regatta. However, if I ever get a boat worth insuring you can bet it will be with them. Real friendly and helpful.

#7 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

I went with them/gowrie for my 29er. Had to put in a claim for the rig and they still wanted me back. I had to drop since I don't really need insurance for my boat, I only got it because I needed liability insurance for a regatta. However, if I ever get a boat worth insuring you can bet it will be with them. Real friendly and helpful.

What guys your age don't often grasp is the need for liability coverage. Screw the boat; that's chump change by comparison.

Let's say you're blasting around on 29ers or fast dinghies, things go tits up during a gybe, and you hit someone else, hard. Typical T-bone hit, the other guy is going to be hiking or on the wire, and, as bad luck would have it, your bow lifts and you hit him right in the back. You've just made a healthy, high-income-potential 22 year old into a paraplegic. His health insurance company is into you for probably half a million in direct medical costs, and then if he wants to sue, he's into you for another million or so. "Can't get blood from a stone," you say, but bear in mind it'll be 5 years until it's settled, by which point you will be out of school, perhaps earning good money, and perhaps owning stuff. Kiss the salary goodbye; it'll be attached in the settlement.

Liability insurance is generally pretty cheap,.

#8 saxdog

saxdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies- sounds like a good program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users