130 replies to this topic

#101 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

I wonder whether Groupama would stump up for a MOD70 team for Franck? They were withdrawing from sponsorship of Franck after the completion of the Volvo campaign but MOD would offer a more affordable sponsorship option.

#102 Thoma s

Thoma s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

I just had a look at the positions and they are surprising

It seems we have the leaders Foncia & Spindrift at the back of the fleet (match racing?)
while Oman and Race for Water in the lead doing 14knots (but then Franck is the navigator. that has to help).
Come on Franck!

and yes, Franck is clearly considering getting on of these trimarans for his next venture.
after the 17 million euros for the Volvo, they must be a bargain.
and the sailors seem to be having some fun with the tight racing.

The Volvo & America's Cup who are too expensive right now, so the MOD70s are maybe his best option?

#103 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

I just had a look at the positions and they are surprising

It seems we have the leaders Foncia & Spindrift at the back of the fleet (match racing?)
while Oman and Race for Water in the lead doing 14knots (but then Franck is the navigator. that has to help).
Come on Franck!

and yes, Franck is clearly considering getting on of these trimarans for his next venture.
after the 17 million euros for the Volvo, they must be a bargain.
and the sailors seem to be having some fun with the tight racing.

The Volvo & America's Cup who are too expensive right now, so the MOD70s are maybe his best option?

If outsiders' comments on the internet are anything to go by ! <_< An interview of FC on french daily Le Figaro http://www.lefigaro....de-groupama.php triggered a few comments.

Amongst other things Frank said:

" Mod 70 races are decided on very small differences and the best trained crews are ahead on a regular basis. Tactically it is very pleasing, but the race's standard is far from what the Volvo is. Pitifully there are no true international crews, Oman apart. No Australians, no Kiwis, no US. We are missing that, it's a bit like Port-La-Foret again...."

Asked whether that circuit featured in the discussions wit Groupama:

"Groupama are still considering their options. We made proposals on what we would like to do. But I am not going to tell anything about that. That is Groupama's own decision. What is certain, is that we had planned on racing the Volvo twice and that everything is set-up for it, while we are waiting for the One-Design to be available"

Sufficed for the commentators to say that he did not fancy the MOD circuit and is very much looking to another VOR.

Now Groupama must be thinking twice about it.
- They heavily promote their brand in France through other means, expensive yachts might not be too "popular" in France currently.
- They apparently are divesting from their internationalization which was identified as a cost & loss center.

???

(Has Franck's standing outgrown his own country ?)

#104 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

The latest

Musandam-Oman Mastering the Med
After leading the MOD70 fleet from the Atlantic for its first passage yet into the Mediterranean Sea, passing the longitude of Tarifa yesterday evening at around 1730hrs UTC, Sidney Gavignet and the crew of Musandam-Oman Sail are pushing into the western Alboran Sea this morning with their leading margin at a healthy 14.3 miles. Posted Image
As the MOD70 European Tour bid farewell to the Atlantic, the passage through the Strait of Gibraltar – one of the busiest shipping lanes in Europe – was a complex one with very light breezes and strong contrary currents. That combination is proving a taxing one in particular for Spindrift racing and Groupe Edmond de Rothschild early this morning. On the 0330hrs UTC position report they were both polled making less than one knot, some eighteen miles to the east of Gibraltar towards the Spanish mainland.
Their deficit to the leaders was at 46 and 49 miles and was continuing to grow as Musandam-Oman Sail punched east at 8 knots boat speed this morning.
“We feel better here, in the lead, than 40 miles behind, but in these flukey winds, each position report is stressful. Stress is useless, what can we do if we fall in a “hole of no wind”?!” skipper Sidney Gavignet noted this morning.
And from on board Brian Thompson also wrote last night: “Today provided some memorable sailing as we tacked up the Spanish coast towards Tarifa, flat seas, 20knots of wind and great scenery. At one beach we tacked just to windward of about 100 kitesurfers, their kites darting across the blue skies like butterflies.”
It has been a relatively profitable night too for Michel Desjoyeaux and the team on FONCIA. The overall leaders of the MOD70 European Tour lie third but have made a steady inroad into their deficit to second placed Race for Water, now less than one mile behind.
The scenario might be a ‘rich get richer’ one for the leaders as they approach the western fringe of a system centred to the west of the Balearics which will generate slightly more wind. Gavignet noting that they anticipate a SW’ly flow to get to them first.
On the morning radio vacation call to the leader from Race HQ in Marseille, where the fleet should finish, Gavignet explained: “There is not a lot of wind but some seas so the rig is moving around a lot in all directions. We have our main and gennaker set (he does not say what wind). Last night I had one watch where we ended up gybing because we had no speed whatsoever and gybing got our back to the waves to get a little push. We had one little episode with a ship, which was right close to us. I even asked we start the engine but we did not need it.
It has been light with more wind than waves and so it was not so pleasant with the rig moving around. It is hard to trim the sails. But now we see Brian is back and we are making 10 knots, 11.1 being the record for the night. Of course it is nice to be at the front but at the same time you worry about falling into a hole, and each sched report is stressful waiting to see what has happened.
According to Jeff (Cuzon, navigator) the wind will pick up in the day and will come from the SW and for us that should be good because it will fill down from the north and we will be downwind of the fleet.
Brian is at the helm, Khamis on deck asleep on the forward net. Jeff and Fahad are in the bunks and Thomas Le Breton is eating.
So we are happy, we have the feeling we have good speed in the light winds. We made some good manoeuvres, Jeff as taken us on a good route and so spirits are good on board. Since passing Gibraltar we have had everyone on deck, missing some sleep so we will take today to catch up. Jeff is even more sleep deprived because there has been so much navigation.”
Latest Ranking
http://www.mod70-europeantour.com/en/race-data.html
Latest Position
http://www.mod70-europeantour.com/en/positions.html
Latest Audios
http://www.mod70-eur...m/en/audio.html
Latest Videos
http://www.mod70-eur.../en/videos.html
Latest Photos
http://www.mod70-eur...n/pictures.html

#105 Thoma s

Thoma s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

Yes, Franck has gotten used to sailing with an international fleet
and coming back to sailing with the same ORMA sailors again feels like a step back.

but is the level actually lower than in the Volvo ?
it is hard to say.

The MOD70s are just starting their racing. while the VOR had 2 years of boat building & 8 months of racing.
and they are one design so simpler, less tuning....

Anyway, it seems the MOD teams are quickly learning to sail their boats better and better
And they have no choice. You need to find the extra 5 minutes which is the difference between 1st and 3rd on time...

Oman Sailing & Race for Water are definitely showing the others that they are improving fast based on the latest positions.

20:30 - next at 23:30 (fr) DTL
(Nm) Speed
(Kts) DTF
(Nm)
Posted Image Musandam-Oman Sail
Sidney Gavignet
0.0 12.3 612.5
Posted Image Race For Water
Stève Ravussin
34.9 7.4 647.3
Posted Image Foncia
Michel Desjoyeaux
43.2 13.5 655.7
Posted Image Spindrift Racing
Yann Guichard
84.3 11.1 696.8
Posted Image Edmond De Rothschild
Sébastien Josse
88.5 8.5 701.0

#106 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

Musandam-Oman Sail are closing in on the finish with 140nm to go. Race for Water in second and Foncia in third.

#107 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

Leg 4 : Cascais - Marseille PRESS RELEASE 24 September 2012 Musandam-Oman Sail win MOD70 European Tour Leg 4, Cascais to Marseille
In crossing the finish line in front of Marseille’s Roucas Blanc marina this Monday morning, 24th September at 07hrs 11mins 34secs local time (GMT/UTC+2), the crew of Musandam-Oman Sail win the fourth stage of the MOD70 European Tour, from Cascais to Marseille. The team which is skippered by Sidney Gavignet took 3days 16 hours 11minutes and 34 seconds for the 1,030 miles passage from Cascais to Marseille. The MOD70 trimaran arrived into the Rade Sud in a watery, grey sunrise in some 20kts of breeze and flat seas after a boisterous final night at sea with gusty winds to 25kts during which Gavignet described conditions as a ‘battle.’ Posted Image
Winning skipper Sidney Gavignet had a tear in his eye this morning under leaden grey skies on the breezy Roucas Blanc pontoon after docking the victorious Musandam-Oman Sail in the small marina where 25 years ago he used to train as an elite level sports student in his Laser: “That is where my boat used to stay and out there is where is I used to capsize many times, so it has a special feeling for me to be back here.”
“I spent three years here in Marseille doing sports studies and so to be back, winning this leg, I think about the whole journey I have been on since then, perhaps that is why I am so moved.”
Musandam-Oman Sail maintains the pattern of three different MOD70’s having consecutively won City Race and the passage stages, FONCIA winning inshore in Kiel and offshore to Dublin, Spindrift racing victorious inshore in Dun Laoghaire and to Cascais and now Musandam-Oman Sail triumphing in Cascais and offshore to Marseille. Musandam-Oman Sail’s win into Marseille complements their victory in Cascais’ City Race series round the short, sprint courses inshore and promotes the Sidney Gavignet skippered team to lie third overall on the MOD70 European Tour standings.
Leg 4 has been marked by mainly light winds. The stretch between the Strait of Gibraltar and the Cabo Gata at the SE corner of Almeria, proved to be the most difficult where the transitions between the different winds, the day seabreezes and nocturnal land breezes, were most difficult but it was during these hours that Musandam-Oman Sail made their biggest gains.
After starting from Cascais, Portugal last Monday afternoon Sidney Gavignet (FRA), Jean-François Cuzon (FRA), Brian Thompson (FRA), Thomas Lebreton (FRA), Khamis Al Fahad (OMA) and Al Hasni Amburi (OMA) took the lead in light winds off Cabo de Gata during that night, around midnight (UTC).
When the five boat MOD70 fleet was tightly compacted after a light winds run down the Portuguese coast, they found the best course to emerge around the point which forms the south westernmost corner of Portugal, with a small lead. Since then they have not been challenged, at one stage yesterday afternoon having a clear 101 miles Race for Water.
By the finish line off Marseille’s Roucas Blanc before dawn this morning in blustery 30-35kts they had a margin of around 50 miles on Stève Ravussin’s second placed Race for Water, the winning by the biggest distance of this inaugural MOD70 European Tour which started in Kiel, Germany on 2nd September.

Quotes:

Sidney Gavignet FRA skipper Musandam-Sail Oman: “I am happy. It was only after the finish line that I really thought we had done it. Even on the passage back past the rocky islands from Cassis we had a big 40knots gust and we nearly lost it. We had to dump the main and barely held on to it. There is a lot of emotion because these beasts are hard work. It is tiring, it is exhausting. I believed in this win. It is a team thing, so congratulations to all of us. It was gained off Cape St Vincent. We have made such progress in light winds. That was the key thing for our escape. Jean François Cuzon spent so much time at the char table, much more than in the bunk. The crew is really progressing. Fahad is a good offshore crew now.
Khamis Al Anbouri (OMA), “It means so much for me to win this leg. It is the first offshore racing leg I have done on the boat and so to win is very special. It is amazing. The team worked really hard, trying to push ourselves very hard on the first two days, working for speed and so gain on the other teams, working to get to Gibraltar in the daytime. We gained there, and then kept gaining.
I am sure that at home they will be very happy about this win. I won the Extreme Sailing Series before and at home the reception from the young Omani’s was incredible, and so I am sure this will be the same.”

Brian Thompson (GBR): “ It is especially good to win this leg because it was one of the most interesting ones, coastal all the way. In fact we were last out of Cascais but caught on the approach to Cape Saint Vincent. Jeff did a really good job with the laylines there and we were fortunate to miss the calms and just wriggled out in front of Race for Water. And then Jeff did a really nice job of getting us around the low off Cadiz. We crossed it a tiny bit earlier than everyone and managed to get south of it on the other side, while the others had to tack quite a long way north. That was a good gain. At Gibraltar we gained, getting through just as it was getting dark and so we saw a big calm that I think both Race for Water and FONCIA saw, but the next two went straight into it. Cabo Gato we went into with breeze and in daylight, doing 20-25kts and so that was a big gain to us. That felt unusual. I have never done a race like that in my whole life, where the rich got richer. When the sun rose after Gato, we knew the wind was going to rise and we would get it first then and that was when I started to think we could win.”

Leg 4 Cascais to Marseille
1. Musandam Oman Sail finish time: 07h 11m 34s (3 days 16 hours 11 minutes and 34 2 seconds)
2. Race for Water – 2h 23m 7s from winner
3. FONCIA – 2h 45m 32s from winner

Latest Ranking
http://www.mod70-eur.../race-data.html
Latest Position
http://www.mod70-eur.../positions.html
Latest Audios
Latest Videos
Latest Photos

#108 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

I reckon the French guys are pretty good but maybe what Franck's saying is that it's the same old geezers from the same little corner of Brittany. Litterally if you draw a circle of 50 miles around La Trinite sur Mer you circled the entire world of French high po offshore multihullery. Despite continuous talk about internationalization it hasn't happened. Evidently Franck's gotten to like the cosmopolitan world of international GP sailing...

#109 Thoma s

Thoma s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

at the same time in these 50 miles, there is enough talent to win the Vendee Globe, the VOR, the D35 circuit and much more...
But yes, this race needs more non international crews.
though, from hearing, Steve Ravussin's accent in the interviews, he is definitely Swiss!

Anyway, sounds like they had a really fast finish to Marseilles with most hitting 38 knot top speeds.
There are some beautiful shots of Foncia crossing the finish line on the videos.

Apparently, quite a few of the boats did some serious nose dives.
I hope they all manage to stay upright...

#110 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

Marseille

Attached File  0_mod70_12_marsa_P1050936.jpg   88K   5 downloads

Attached File  0_mod70_12_marsa_P1050965.jpg   135.46K   7 downloads

Attached File  0_mod70_12_marsa_P1060003.jpg   114.93K   6 downloads

Attached File  mod70_12_marsa_P1050942.jpg   65.15K   5 downloads

Attached File  mod70_12_marsa_P1060021.jpg   81.68K   6 downloads

Attached File  mod70_12_marsa_P1060085.jpg   117.88K   5 downloads

#111 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Attached File  mod70_12_marsa_P1060135.jpg   85.67K   3 downloads

Attached File  mod70_12_marsa_P1060158.jpg   77.97K   2 downloads

Attached File  mod70_12_marsa_P1060181.jpg   82.53K   2 downloads

Attached File  mod70_12_marsa_P1060195.jpg   60.2K   2 downloads

Attached File  mod70_12_marsa_P1060225.jpg   101.19K   3 downloads

Attached File  mod70_12_marsa_P1060240.jpg   72.62K   2 downloads

#112 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Spindrift racing win in Marseille,
a morale boost for the finale
In winning the Marseille City Race, Yann Guichard’s Spindrift racing did all that they possibly could, over five races on the bay off Marseille, to improve their chance of overhauling overall leaders FONCIA to win the MOD70 European Tour, but with Michel Desjoyeaux’s crew finishing in second the overall difference between the two title chasers is cut only by one point. Posted Image
When Sunday’s final offshore starts, the 651 miles Leg 5 from Marseille to Genoa, the difference between the two title protagonists will be seven points in favour of FONCIA. Yet with the same kind of variable, unpredictable weather which has marked the Marseille City Race series due to prevail for much of the final passage, anything could happen.
Races 4 and 5 were finally contested after a long delay awaiting a settled breeze to arrive and a massive rain storm of monsoon proportions to clear. But the wait was mostly worth it as the skies cleared to offer one good race with fast sailing across the top reach parallel to the Frioul islands, and a second contest which saw an interesting reshuffle at the first turning mark when the breeze died and shifted.
The first race was FONCIA’s from the moment they cleared the start line ahead, with speed and with Spindrift racing who were across the line early. But despite restarting and tracking fifth early in the two laps triangle course, Guichard’s crew – with Olympic bronze medallist Nicholas Charbonnier calling tactics – rescued a useful third place.
The second race shaped up to be potentially the most exciting of the Marseille regatta as Spindrift and FONCIA came off the start line from opposite ends at pace. FONCIA, low from the pin end picked up more speed but could not quite close down their rivals. Spindrift racing lead around the first turn while FONCIA sailed on a little distance, closed out by Musandam-Oman Sail to windward. Remarkably just Spindrift racing and Sidney Gavignet’s crew were the only two to emerge from this buoy smoothly. FONCIA stalled. Groupe Edmond de Rothschild emerged but had to take penalty turns. Race for Water reversed back out of the melee and ultimately retired to cap a disappointing day for Stève Ravussin’s crew, who had been looking to close out their first City Race win.
So Spindrift racing earn a point against FONCIA and become the only team to have won two City Race series, adding to their victory in Dun Laoghaire, but importantly skipper Guichard was pleased to feel they have seized the initiative for the final leg
He said: “Today was especially good for us. It is the last City Race of the season and the team work on board was really good. We are only seven points behind FONCIA for the final leg. Leg 5 there are 16 points available and anything can happen. We’d prefer to be closer than further back but that’s the way it is.”
Third overall in the Marseille City Race for Sidney Gavignet’s Musandam-Oman Sail is their third podium finish from the last four events and keeps them in third overall on the MOD70 European Tour standings. Gavignet’s team sailed confidently and smoothly and took their opportunities when they could, to finish second twice today.
Marseille City Race
1 Spindrift racing 54 pts 1,4,2,3,1
2 FONCIA 52pts 5,1,3,1,4
3 Musandam-Oman Sail 50pts 4,2,5,2,2
4 Race for Water 49pts 2,3,1,5,5
5 Groupe Edmond de Rothschild 44pts 3,5,4,4,3
MOD 70 European Tour Overall Standings after Marseille City Race
1 FONCIA 236pts
2 Spindrift racing 229pts
3 Musandam-Oman Sail 203pts
4 Race for Water 202pts
5 Groupe Edmond de Rothschild 194pts
Yann Guichard, skipper of Spindrift racing: "Winning here is good for morale. I am happy to win the last season City Race. It is just one point off FONCIA’s lead, but it is positive. We are just 7 points behind on the overall scoreboard. Now, we must look ahead. There are three points to earn on the small coastal course, which will be crucial on the overall results. I'm happy because we sailed well today and yesterday, we kept our cool on board. We have had a few crew changes and have also made more progress in the City Races. In Marseille we had Nicolas Charbonnier and Fred Brousse on board. They brought us en extra level on both pure strength and tactics.”
Michel Desjoyeaux, skipper FONCIA: "We are second behind Spindrift racing here which is not too bad since starting here was quite tough and then today, really complicated, but we were able to win a race today. Tonight, we have a 7 points lead on Spindrift. A lot can be won or lost between the bonus points after the initial inshore part of the race tomorrow and the finish in Genoa. Right now, whatever happens, we can do no worse than second place. This is the result of three weeks of hard work from the crew. We are able to push right up to the end and that is what we aim to do. At the end of the day it is the sport that will decide…”
Sidney Gavignet, Musandam-Oman Sail: “It is cool to get third, we had not such a good day yesterday. Between a good start and a bad start is nothing. And after all that we are on the podium again, nothing is changed for the last leg, we are ahead of the guys who are fighting with us for the overall and we still have to do good on the final leg.
It would be nice if we could score some points on the little prologue leg. We are the only boat in the fleet who have not done that so far. Groupe Edmond de Rothschild who are behind us have scored seven points on these little loops, so if we can even do something on these little loops then it would be helpful.”

General Results
http://www.mod70-eur...al-results.html
Latest Audios
Latest Videos
Latest Photos

#113 Thoma s

Thoma s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

Seems like the boats are flying along towards Spain at ... 28 knots of average speed.
Foncia is at 29.8 knots in the lead.

Are these speeds reasonable?
or are these boats going to end up cartwheeling soon?

#114 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

This is about 28 knots more than at the start. Good that it's rougher "out there".

Attached File  stP1060402.JPG   242.48K   11 downloads

#115 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Seems like the boats are flying along towards Spain at ... 28 knots of average speed.
Foncia is at 29.8 knots in the lead.

Are these speeds reasonable?
or are these boats going to end up cartwheeling soon?

I was doing 28 on them without even trying. Speed is dependent on sea state. In flat water, that speed is cake. Dong it in 2M swells or confused seas is when things get dicy. Overall, more balanced and safer feeling than an ORMA 60, but more of a pucker factor on the edge than youd have in say a VO 70

#116 Thoma s

Thoma s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Brilliant.
They all made it safely to the baleares after their 29 knots run to menorca.
it sounds like they are blitzing around the west med in two days. not bad.

Ryan, you are very lucky to have sailed these boats
it must have been a fantastic ride. :D , especially if you are racing another boat right next to you.
I would love to jump into one of these boats

Gitana does talk about a few nose dives.
That must be the tricky bit...

Looks like Foncia still has the edge. just...
Shame Veolia is not there!

#117 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Spindrift came in first on the final offshore leg Marseille to Genoa but Foncia had sufficient points buffer that with their second place have won the European Tour. They took a different approach to the finish line and managed to just edge out Race for Water and Musandam/Oman Sail.

The final podium Foncia 1st, Spindrift 2nd, Race for Water 3rd.

http://www.mod70-eur...h-in-genoa.html

#118 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

I followed it online and must say I wasn't particularly overwhelmed. I think we were spoiled with the VOR and a few other events recently that had live streaming. It's all well and good that they finished within seconds of eachother after a million miles offshore but with no coverage it's all about blech.

#119 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Cannot be left blank

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

^agreed.
“Life is a journey, not a destination.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

#120 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

I followed it online and must say I wasn't particularly overwhelmed. I think we were spoiled with the VOR and a few other events recently that had live streaming. It's all well and good that they finished within seconds of eachother after a million miles offshore but with no coverage it's all about blech.

The organizers get it, they just need the financing. I've been told to expect better in 2013 and have personally offered to go and run onboard media. Just need a phone call.......

#121 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Your phone call is unlikely to come with a paycheck unfortunately, at least if they continue to ignore the fans! And it ain't about the financing: The head of the MOD is a multi-multi-multi millionaire. If he believed in it, he'd get it done.

I have stopped tuning in. If the MOD organizers don't care enough about their fans to get a race video up ten days after it happened, I don't care enough to watch. Seriously: they are either scary cheap or completely incompetent - unable to put together stuff that the most basic regatta has no problem with.

#122 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

First among equals:
FONCIA win first MOD70 European Tour
After exactly one month of racing since leaving Kiel, Germany on the afternoon of Sunday September 2nd the first ever MOD70 European Tour finished this Tuesday morning amidst a beautiful dawn in Genoa, Italy with a hard won overall victory for FONCIA, the crew of Michel Desjoyeaux’s MOD70. Posted Image
After more than 4400 miles of the five offshore racing stages and the 23 City Race series heats at four European Cities, FONCIA’s triumph was only secured in the final mile and 22 minutes of the course.
In a typically audacious last throw of the dice, the double Vendée Globe winning skipper and his crew came from behind to cross two rivals within sight of the finish line. Stealing second place, immediately behind Yann Guichard’s title rivals Spindrift racing, was enough to give overall victory to the FONCIA team who set their foundations with a clean sweep of maximum available points in Kiel and from the Leg 1 offshore into Dun Laoghaire.
Just two points separate FONCIA from Spindrift racing on the final standings, exactly the same delta between Stève Ravussin’s Race for Water which wrestled third from Sidney Gavignet’s Musandam-Oman Sail on the same slow motion, high tension two miles of chess board.
When they left Marseille on Sunday afternoon for the 651 miles showdown stage to Genoa via Menorca and La Giraglia at the north of Corsica, FONCIA had a six points lead to protect from Spindrift racing. Musandam-Oman Sail needed only to keep Race for Water behind to be sure of third.
The fickle early morning winds tested the nerves of the crews. After winning the final leg the Spindrift racing team had to watch as Desjoyeaux and crew crossed Race for Water and Musandam-Oman Sail in one strand of breeze to finish second on the water. The final mile or two was equally painful for Sidney Gavignet’s Musandam-Oman crew.
“When we crossed the finish line I congratulated the team but then in the last mile to the finish we could see that FONCIA had gone off to try and do their own thing and started to think that he could pull something.” Recalls Spindrift racing’s Guichard,. “ Before nightfall last night we had already thought that we could win because they were so far behind.”
In this exciting new strict one design class, this first season has consistently delivered incredibly close racing inshore and offshore. The MOD70’s are fast, but ultimately it has been – as intended - people power: the skill of the sailors and not the technology that has prevailed:
“Sailing is a sport of experience, it is not just a sport about technology and so the more experience you have together the faster you can keep the boat going, the faster you can adapt to new conditions.” Says Desjoyeaux. “It is a real pleasure to sail like this with this crew. Everyone gives their best any hour of the day and night. And even if we make mistakes together, we move on.”
In preparation for this MOD70 programme which is Desjoyeaux’s final events in the colours of his longtime sponsors FONCIA, last year they started a D35 catamaran programme on the lakes with Xavier Revil, Antoine Carraz and Alban Rossolin.
To that core was added outstanding helm-trimmer Manu Le Borgne with whom he won the Transat Jacques Vabre and, as navigator, Charles Caudrelier, a key member of the Volvo Ocean Race winning crew. Others included America’s Cup winning grinder Nicolas Texier, helm-trimmer Thierry Chabagny, Julien Falxa and Antonio Carraz. Desjoyeaux’s management approach is very much to let the crew deliver on their strengths.
FONCIA’s one minor aberration over the event was their fifth in the City Race series in Cascais, Portugal. Otherwise they finished on the podium in each points scoring event. Except for temporarily in Cascais before they won Round Portugal, FONCIA were on top of the MOD70 European Tour leaderboard.
Spindrift racing, winners of the Krys Ocean Race and leaders overall of the Multi One Championship, proved durable close rivals to the end for FONCIA. They won the spectacular Dun Laoghaire City Race series, the Marseille City Race series and the Dun Laoghaire to Cascais offshore leg as well as this Leg 5 offshore into Genoa. But skipper Yann Guichard’s identified the two places deficit on the Round Portugal which, they suffered when FONCIA won as the main contribution to their final difference.
“I think that the mission has been accomplished on this race.” Guichard smiled, “FONCIA wins the MOD70 European Tour by two points on a 240-point aggregate, that pretty much speaks for itself. The third place came down to the final metres on the last leg. Then we had three boats finish in just 77 seconds in Dun Laoghaire. Here it was really close at the finish, well all legs have been very close. We have really enjoyed the racing and I am sure that it has been quite gripping to follow from ashore.”
Circuit and class co-founder Stève Ravussin’s Race for Water finished third overall on the strength of improving consistency. Musandam-Oman Sail suffered a final disappointment in losing that overall finish, but –as one of only three teams to win events – can take great pride in winning the Cascais City Race Series and their big win into Marseille.
Quotes from the dockside

Michel Desjoyeaux, skipper FONCIA: “We saw three boats overtake us 15 miles from the finish. At that point, we told ourselves that that was it. It was all over for us and we had lost everything. But then, we said that the finishing line hadn’t yet been crossed. We saw Oman and Race for Water get stuck in a calm zone with very little wind. We went right around them and managed to find wind all the time. That was how we managed to finish in second place and save our overall position.
For the time being, this victory is synonymous with champagne, as the guys on Spindrift racing soaked us. It is a rather special moment, as it is the final race for this boat, for me, and the crew in the FONCIA colours. It’s nice to end on a high note, as this company enabled me to do so many things since 2007. All good things come to an end.
"
Yann Guichard, skipper Spindrift racing: “We really thought we had it over the final miles of the race, but then three miles from the finish we just kept looking over our shoulder. We had both Musandam-Oman Sail and Race For Water sailing with us and we really saw them finishing fourth. They managed to get round us and then I think between Oman and Race For Water they had their own battle going on for the third spot.
I think that the mission has been accomplished on this race. FONCIA wins the MOD70 European Tour by two points on a 240-point aggregate, that pretty much speaks for itself. The third place came down to the final metres on the last leg. Then we had three boats finish in just 77 seconds in Dun Laoghaire. Here it was really close at the finish, well all legs have been very close. We have really enjoyed the racing and I think that it has been quite gripping to follow from ashore."

At the end of the day we are competitors and here to win so finishing second is a little disappointing, we have sailed well overall but for Cascais, which I think was our downfall. The others were also up there, but we did win two city races and finished first or second on each leg. We just lost two points and when you look back it comes down to maybe a city race or on the bonus points at the start of the offshore leg. We get a second on the European Tour and then win the KRYS OCEAN RACE so lead the Multi One Championship overall.
FONCIA have earned their victory and it comes down to their consistency over the course of the race as and it is us really us that have lost it with the Cascais to Cascais race. I said at the start that the Yann Guichard
Stève Ravussin, skipper Race for Water: “A fantastic finish. A great leg, as we were all together and could see each other. There were some tiny options that more or less paid off. But we can see that once the boats stop, the others catch up very quickly, as they are so close. I haven’t sailed a lot this year. I did poorly in the inshore races, particularly in the starts. In the offshore races, it was better. In the final three races, we were up there with the others. But I think we need to train and sail more, as it’s very close between us. The finest moment was this third place on the podium today. It’s great for the team, for the youngsters that I got out there sailing this year. We weren’t far off winning. I hope that some day we will do just that. The boats are solid and offer similar levels of performance. On one-design boats, the best man wins in the end and in this case that was Michel Desjoyeaux and his crew."
Seven boats have been built. If they are all out there in 2013, it will be great. We’re going to be looking for funding for the boat. And the MOD70 Championship will continue, because that’s what really matters most.
Sidney Gavignet, skipper Musandam-Oman Sail: “We are simply happy with the work we did. Maybe we don’t have so much talent but we work and we are organised and these are values that are important to do the job well. Even though we did not get third place in the end then that is my big satisfaction. This is my first year as a skipper of a team and I really enjoy it, skippering, managing and trying to get good energy on board. I enjoy it.
I hope that we can have a few more boats for next year but to keep going like this, one Transatlantic and one European Tour, both were great and the boats are fantastic to sail, really spectacular.”

Sébastien Josse, skipper Groupe Edmond de Rothschild: “ We made a good start on the first two legs but then we did not take our advantages when we could. So after that we did not really make the good moves and then we start to think about why, in another way. So it was a bit difficult psychologically. But on this least leg we were in good shape but we had that damage with the gennaker, which ruined the last leg. The gennaker unfurled with a small tear on it then it was in two parts.
We will go back to Lorient and look at what we did well and what we did not. We are certainly the team that has spent the most time on the water with this boat. For me it is my first season in multihulls so I want to go forwards from that.”

#123 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Your phone call is unlikely to come with a paycheck unfortunately, at least if they continue to ignore the fans! And it ain't about the financing: The head of the MOD is a multi-multi-multi millionaire. If he believed in it, he'd get it done.

I have stopped tuning in. If the MOD organizers don't care enough about their fans to get a race video up ten days after it happened, I don't care enough to watch. Seriously: they are either scary cheap or completely incompetent - unable to put together stuff that the most basic regatta has no problem with.

Come on Clean, that is a ridiculous thing to say. Even someone like Larry is backing off from just continuing to spend uncontrollably, and the MOD backer has significantly less money than he does (though still more than I will ever see). In order to have the coverage of the end of a leg during the VOR the organisers had to pay tens of thousands to have helicopters in the air in order to provide the neccesary connection, so that the footage could then be broadcast live. The MOD 70s are often approaching the finish line at greater than 20 knots, so the organisers would need to have enough helicopters in the air to cover a 20 mile leg with microwave transmitters, just in order to cover the last hour.
Let us be honest. This is their first big event, is not the Round the World, but a precursor. Spending huge amounts of money to broadcast on the internet to a couple of thousand people does not seem to me to be a reasonable use of funds. If you truly think it is then you are kidding yourself.

#124 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

yeah considering you can stream live video from a cell phone hooked up to a handheld video camera - and in the med you probably have cell coverage - to not have same day coverage is pretty weak.

#125 Thoma s

Thoma s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

The racing was brilliant all along the 5 legs and you have to congratulate the sailors for putting up a great show.
The boats are spectacular on the pictures.

It has been the best sailing on the water by far since the VOR.

I was pretty disappointed to see no coverage of the race on the Sailing Anarchy web site.

Considering there was nothing else happening elsewhere, it sounded more like a boycott than anything else.
How about a few interviews of the sailors just like the ones in the VOR for instance.

We have to give this race a chance.
The more support they get, the bigger the chance this will drive sponsorship and good media coverage.
It would be a real shame to see more sailors like of Desjoyeaux & Yann Guichard with no sponsors.

but giving them a few strong hints about increasing the video coverage of the event would help...!
there must have been some brilliant views of the boats when racing together in the Med
but they need a media member on board or something of the like.

By the way, well done to Foncia for a great race.
The finish must have been nerve racking for everyone

#126 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

Is this the same Clean who takes forever to put videos up? Just asking !!!
Be fair.

We should all support the MOD 70 concept and hope that it gets some real traction

#127 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars-Fast Boats-Fast Woman and Beer

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

I'll still watch

#128 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:sailing, humans on planet Earth.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Bandwagoning sentiment !! SA unworthy

#129 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

Bandwagoning sentiment !! SA unworthy

It's one or the other, it can't be both!

So the fleet of MODs is sitting on the hard with no buyers for 3 of them, no sponsor for next year and no races scheduled for how long?
Surely they should be over in the East- they could have slipped through the Suez after they finished their European tour, had a race in the Gulf (you know, what with 25% of the fleet coming from Oman!) and then on to doing a Indian Ocean/Australasia/West Coast US tour.

#130 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Attached File  misguided clean.jpg   585.36K   14 downloads
Misguided....? Clean

At least they (MOD 70) came up with a respected almost foul proof design that proved to give spectacular close ocean-racing!
When you are talking about respect for the fans, I can give you more valid reasons to not tune in the America's Cup for that mather.
Your reasoning is not paying attention to the A of SA, nor the S of SA, is it, was what I tried to emphasize.
I think its worth while for SA change attitude and support the MOD 70. not only because I like it.

Cheers,

Attached Files

#131 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

Attached File  564567_460077260691257_1188481643_n.jpg   135.25K   17 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users