266 replies to this topic

#1 Skull & Bones

Skull & Bones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Going to be hot as fuck all, probably light too...Anybody else?

#2 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

225 at 8 kts.

As usual.

#3 old bow

old bow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

The Harbor Beach parking lot will be at full capacity Sat pm

#4 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

We have a bbq, refrigeration and bitchin' stereo. Not sure the weather really matters.

#5 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,218 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

We have a bbq, refrigeration and bitchin' stereo. Not sure the weather really matters.

At some point you will run out of beer. Then it will matter. We just about got there last year.

#6 Skull & Bones

Skull & Bones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

At some point you will run out of beer. Then it will matter. We just about got there last year.

A travesty

#7 Swedge Humper

Swedge Humper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • Interests:Yachting<br>

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Not if I have anything to do with it. Also, when we get down to five cases I am instituting a strict rationing program.

#8 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,218 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Not if I have anything to do with it. Also, when we get down to five cases I am instituting a strict rationing program.

It wasn't that bad, although the dark n stormys with dry ice was a bit unusual.

#9 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

The Bacardi and Coke with hand chipped ice and fresh lemon was pretty damn good two years ago. We were out of beer before Cove Island.

#10 Skull & Bones

Skull & Bones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

The Bacardi and Coke with hand chipped ice and fresh lemon was pretty damn good two years ago. We were out of beer before Cove Island.

Now that sounds tasty

#11 Iamnottelling

Iamnottelling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Beer and Racing

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

I am confident that we will not run out of beer and with a new head unit for the stereo everyone else in our class will be graced with out music again.

I think it is to early to call the wind but am hoping for a lot so that we can make dinner on Sunday at Mackinac.

#12 cirrhosis of the river

cirrhosis of the river

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

^ +1^

#13 Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

The real question will the ice maker keep up with the rum drink requests

Btw the wing will be out of south 170 ish at 4knots. sat morning will swing to north west 10 knots. Late Sun night swing north 8 to 15 knots. Yes race will basically suck

#14 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

http://graphical.wea...entgrtlakes.php

#15 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

UGLY
Point Forecast: 7NM E Harbor Beach MI
43.84N 82.53W (Elev. 577 ft)

#16 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

yo cvt, i see you lurking... what are Lake Huron water temps like? how cold will it be at night?

#17 dacarls

dacarls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

What are the experienced people doing about stable flies? The hungry fellers and gals out there on the lake looking for a blood meal?Posted Image

#18 oneguyfromdetroit

oneguyfromdetroit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll, Motorcycles

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/centgrtlakes.php

Perfect NA40 conditions.

#19 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

check back in 4 days for a better forecast. 5 days if you really want it to be accurate.

#20 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

<br />yo cvt, i see you lurking... what are Lake Huron water temps like? how cold will it be at night?<br />

northern Lake Huron weather bouy 45003 currently is 67.8 F. Should be warm and comfy at night.

#21 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

http://graphical.wea...entgrtlakes.php

Perfect NA40 conditions.

That's what I was thinkin'.

#22 Callahan

Callahan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

"What are the experienced people doing about stable flies? The hungry fellers and gals out there on the lake looking for a blood meal?"

Current forecast (will change) is perfect for those little blood suckers. CutterMax 100 works o'k. Even the most ardent environmentalist will be begging to borrow some after an hour of biting flies. Where light colored clothes. These little buggers seem to be attracted to dark and bright colors. Keep legs and feet at deck level as much as possible.They love to bite you around the ankles. Drinking beer might help dull the pain but these flies seem to be attracted to the sugars as alcohol leeches out of your pores. You might find that those nice racing shoes with mesh panels don't work too well when those flies start biting through the open weave mesh. They bite through cotton pretty easily. For some reason they can't bite through nylon. Old timers would cut up an old spinnaker and make sheets out of them. Great to use if you are trying to sleep below in the day time. The best solution is to have the apparent wind about 8 knots or above and be on the windward rail. If all else fails, pray for wind on the nose.

#23 Polaris

Polaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

What are the experienced people doing about stable flies? The hungry fellers and gals out there on the lake looking for a blood meal?Posted Image

Put on your raingear pants and sea boots. Suckers can't bite through those.

#24 stevedallas

stevedallas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:trying not to repeat the same mistakes we made on the race course last week, keeping hydrated

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:26 AM

Paper suit?

#25 Billy O

Billy O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Time travel without incurring a ratings penalty, Babes, Budweiser and Pizza.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:29 AM

Sitting at the Cavis Grill one saturday morning in July of 1985, an older, much more experienced, well respected sailor sat across the table and explained to me and my ham and cheese omlette how "this is shaping up to be the slowest Mackinac Race in history".

Just sayin.

p.s.

Good luck to all ! Sail safe.

#26 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

For the young and unwashed, '85 blew.

#27 Skull & Bones

Skull & Bones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:01 AM

Sitting at the Cavis Grill one saturday morning in July of 1985, an older, much more experienced, well respected sailor sat across the table and explained to me and my ham and cheese omlette how "this is shaping up to be the slowest Mackinac Race in history".

Just sayin.

p.s.

Yep that was an ugly one. The weather will change, guaranteed

#28 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,218 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

Sitting at the Cavis Grill one saturday mornIing in July of 1985, an older, much more experienced, well respected sailor sat across the table and explained to me and my ham and cheese omlette how "this is shaping up to be the slowest Mackinac Race in history".

Just sayin.

p.s.

Yep that was an ugly one. The weather will change, guaranteed

At least a couple times before the race, and probably several more during.

#29 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

<br />For the young and unwashed, '85 blew.<br />

Chunks.

#30 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Wind chill at 32F

#4 up, 3 reefs in.

38 AWS on the nose

Out in the dark the Red eye of a flare over a wreck, soon sunk.

With
in 10 meters to weather out of the dark and spray.

Silent, unlit, dis-masted 40 footers, hurrying past, headed to the Tub

Waves Big and Bigger

Blue sky, sun shine

Solid Green water over the bow rolling over the deck straight back to the helmsmen.

Boots duct taped to foules.

Boat a wash below, mad pumping when ever.

Many Crew below sick the whole time

Crew on deck sick, hurling and trimming things both at the same time

I survived '85, was the shirt in '86

Is your ride '85 Proof?

#31 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Re-reading John Burke's account of the 1985 BYC race brings back memories. and a few chills.

http://www.bycmack.c...ohn_Burke_(2008).pdf

#32 huckster_one

huckster_one

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Re-reading John Burke's account of the 1985 BYC race brings back memories. and a few chills.

http://www.bycmack.com/GGTSPU-gg1.ctus.chemtrend.com-25546-933406-7I3PEAgxftEjEFBz-DAT/history/1985_Port_Huron_to_Mack_Race_by_John_Burke_(2008).pdf

Link is broken, can you try linking again?

#33 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

http://www.bycmack.com/GGTSPU-gg1.ctus.chemtrend.com-25546-933406-7I3PEAgxftEjEFBz-DAT/history/1985_Port_Huron_to_Mack_Race_by_John_Burke_(2008).pdf

http://www.bycmack.com/history_articles.cfm
click on PH to Mac 1985

#34 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

The wind will be 225 @ 8 knots. Are you new??

MS

#35 oneguyfromdetroit

oneguyfromdetroit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

click on PH to Mac 1985

I did '85 Mac on a T-10. On the Cove course. Good times!

#36 coyotepup

coyotepup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

I was three then, but.....I bet, right in the middle of it, it felt like the longest and slowest one.

#37 huckster_one

huckster_one

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

click on PH to Mac 1985

Thanks! The Charlie Stigerwald he talks about still sails an old wooden boat at CYC in Rocky River.

#38 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:15 AM

click on PH to Mac 1985

how many T-10's would they get back in the day?

#39 bgytr

bgytr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Looking like it could be interesting...

Southerly quadrant flow at the start with low pressure moving right over the course some hours after the start.
Forecast will likely change later in the week...

#40 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

I know, I know, it's way too early to call the weather, but it's a lookin' mighty lighty. Discuss.

18NM SE Harbor Beach MI
Lake Huron

Saturday: SSE wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt in the afternoon. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Waves around 1 ft.

Saturday Night: Variable winds 5 kt or less. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Waves around 1 ft.

Sunday: Variable winds 5 kt or less. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Waves around 1 ft

#41 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />Re-reading John Burke's account of the 1985 BYC race brings back memories.  and a few chills.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.bycmack.c...ohn_Burke_(2008' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.bycmack.c...Burke_(2008</a>).pdf<br />

<br /><br />Link is broken, can you try linking again?<br />

<br /><a href='http://www.bycmack.c...ry_articles.cfm' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.bycmack.c...cles.cfm</a><br />click on PH to Mac 1985<br />

We did '85 on a C&C 37 on Cove, my 1st Mac race. Every 3rd wave it felt like the rigging was going to come down. And like John Burke said, you would come up on top of a wave and see boats around with their running lights on, then you wouldn't see anything in the troughs.

Couldn't believe how cold it was in the middle of July on Lake Huron.

I remember the helmsman telling the navigator that he saw something in the water ahead of us, the navigator just said "nothing is on the charts". Turned out to be an old wreck that is partially sticking out of the water.

Our bowman was sleeping in the v-berth. Snoring even as he was levitated out of bunk when we went down a wave.

#42 Polaris

Polaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Not as light. http://www.windfinde...lake_huron_buoy

#43 cirrhosis of the river

cirrhosis of the river

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Polaris I know its only wednesday but would it make any sense to go to the canadain side and hope for wind influinced by land?

#44 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Canadian shore paid a few wears ago. We beat he Level-35 fleet by many many many manymany hrs.B)

BUT there was a Hurricane backing up the weather up and holding things still on the Mi Shore. I keep looking and it keeps saying we're fucked this year. 3-4-4.5 SOG average Mabey. 50 to 60 hours And a T35 is a light air screamer. With 1 to 2 K TWS on Monday to Tuesday around Round Island it could be REALLY FUN.

#45 Skull & Bones

Skull & Bones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

If the forecast holds, crews might want to bring extra water

#46 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,218 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Or beverages that have water in them

#47 oneguyfromdetroit

oneguyfromdetroit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

click on PH to Mac 1985

how many T-10's would they get back in the day?

15-18

#48 Polaris

Polaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Polaris I know its only wednesday but would it make any sense to go to the canadain side and hope for wind influinced by land?

Too far from rum line. It would be a flyer that would have the Bramble following you up the lake.

#49 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,218 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

It probably is farther from the rum line, but more importantly farther from the rhumb line.

#50 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

Im thinking about the water purifying pump thing I got last year. Now I got to get it into the sea bag.

WONT DO NO GOOD IN THE DRESSER.

Posted Image

#51 coyotepup

coyotepup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

Im thinking about the water purifying pump thing I got last year. Now I got to get it into the sea bag.

Posted Image

Man, after sailing last year with one of those things, I don't know anymore how or why anyone loads up the boat with cases and cases of water bottles.

#52 GABA

GABA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

Posted Image

Man, after sailing last year with one of those things, I don't know anymore how or why anyone loads up the boat with cases and cases of water bottles.

I gotta tell ya, that pump looks like something I saw in the back of an adult magazine years ago......

#53 Iamnottelling

Iamnottelling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Beer and Racing

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

The wind is starting to look alright for Saturday but Sunday it is still looking rough to make it to the island.

#54 cirrhosis of the river

cirrhosis of the river

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

The wind is starting to look alright for Saturday but Sunday it is still looking rough to make it to the island.

Wind out of the south is that what you see?

#55 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Sorry, the magic eight ball is cloudy now.

#56 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Your Taxes at WORK.

Start area Point Forecast: 6NM N Port Huron MI
43.03N 82.42W (Elev. 577 ft)

Point Forecast:10NM N Port Huron MI
43.1N 82.44W (Elev. 577 ft)

Point Forecast: 11NM SSE Harbor Beach MI
43.73N 82.54W (Elev. 577 ft)

Point Forecast: 16NM NE Port Austin MI
44.21N 82.84W (Elev. 577 ft)

Funs over

Point Forecast: 18NM ESE Alpena MI
45.02N 83.16W (Elev. 577 ft)

Point Forecast:13NM NW Rogers City MI
45.56N 83.92W (Elev. 577 ft)

OUCH

Point Forecast:15NM N Cheboygan MI
45.83N 84.44W (Elev. 577 ft)

#57 Billy O

Billy O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Time travel without incurring a ratings penalty, Babes, Budweiser and Pizza.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

Watch for.....................

Northern Lights This Weekend?

Posted Image

"X-FLARE! Big sunspot AR1520 unleashed an X1.4-class solar flare on July 12th at 1653 UT. Because this sunspot is directly facing Earth, everything about the blast was geoeffective. For one thing, it hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) directly toward our planet. According to a forecast track prepared by analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab, the CME will hit Earth on July 14th around 10:20 UT (+/- 7 hours) and could spark strong geomagnetic storms. Sky watchers should be alert for auroras this weekend."

#58 cirrhosis of the river

cirrhosis of the river

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

Posted Image

"X-FLARE! Big sunspot AR1520 unleashed an X1.4-class solar flare on July 12th at 1653 UT. Because this sunspot is directly facing Earth, everything about the blast was geoeffective. For one thing, it hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) directly toward our planet. According to a forecast track prepared by analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab, the CME will hit Earth on July 14th around 10:20 UT (+/- 7 hours) and could spark strong geomagnetic storms. Sky watchers should be alert for auroras this weekend."

So put the solar sails up?

#59 Billy O

Billy O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

Posted Image

So put the solar sails up?

Not necessarily, but stay away from the brown acid, just in case.

#60 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:22 AM

Sorry, the magic eight ball is cloudy now.

In my short time living and racing here on the Lakes, especially during a La Nina cycle... the forecasts are a crapshoot. I'm racing on the Melges 32 Badfish, will have to see what happens after the low (and when) it passes Lake Huron. Til then all bets are off. Fo sho, sunday and monday will be very weak and soft...Saturday looks to be the moneymaker and then, several restarts...

#61 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

Will you be able to post reports here Chief?

#62 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

Fo sho!

#63 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

I will be doing my best to post up here as well Alan. On "Manitou" the 50' tri for this and Chi Mac race as well.

#64 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

Posted Image

These are AWESOME! We had one on Nice Pair we used for years and made all the difference in the world. Bringing it back on board Manitou as well for this and the Chi Mac race. Gotta love all the weight savings as well as not contributing to adding more plastic sh*t into the environment.

#65 jsmin

jsmin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

better bring your own wind machines - looks like a slow one

#66 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

South Huron Buoy doesn't look too bad.

http://www.windfinde...lake_huron_buoy

#67 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Same site "super forecast" is different from the stanard forecast. Looks like wind will be further out in the lake. Subject to change every 15 minutes.

http://www.windfinde...lake_huron_buoy

http://www.windfinde...ake_huron54.htm

#68 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Manitou is rolling well right now after really light air start. Screecher and full main going about 9. But where ids that south wind. More east than anything. Gotta love this cruise ship!

#69 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

High priority

Alex from the F-31 trimaran High Priority 2 checks in from pre-start prep for today’s Bell’s Beer Bayview Mackinac Race. Track the fleet here, and check the thread for latest news from the Race.

While I am not superstitious, today's events in proper Friday the 13th

fashion. Started the day off by knocking a bit of the dust off that remained

after a night out in South Haven. Met up with the rest of the High Priority

2 team in Kalamazoo and we were on our way to Port Huron for the start of

the 2012 Bayview to Mackinac. We picked up HP2 in East Lansing without a

hitch and made our way to Port Huron. With the leftover adrenaline high from

winning first overall corrected for the Tripp Memorial Race (South Haven to

Milwaukee) and Queens Cup (Milwaukee to South Haven) we were eager to get

the boat in the water and start the race. While at the launch ramp around 11

AM getting the boat organized we noticed we had a few…um…structural

spreader issues that needed immediate attention. A quick phone call to Meade

Gougeon, and he was at the boat in minutes. We came up with a strategy to

repair the spreaders, went to the store to get some Six-10 West System epoxy, and Meade and I got to work. Proper sanding with 80 grit and a nice lather

of Six-10 we made a 30 minute repair. Now the waiting game...Fellow crew

member Ryan Gardner and I wait in the asphalt parking lot with the boat in

the 90 degree heat while the epoxy cures for the next 4 hours. Finally we

get the boat launched and secured with the other multihulls in the raft.

Crisis averted!

And from Alex’s crewmate, Ryan:

So that happened. Fucking talked ourselves out of our originally correct rigging just long enough to slap a rig against a parking lot! Only one spreader took the full digger from cabintop to asphalt, so could have been way worse.

My main concern was making sure the boat could race next weekend, with the owner on board. I believed the spreaders could be fixed, but I didn't want to go out with repaired spreaders and fold the mast in half because I overlooked some structural damage. My exact words to the boys were "if Meade says we can go, we're going". Without Meade looking at the boat, I thought we should go back to the boat barn and make sure HP2 was ready for Chicago.

Long story short; Meade told us we ‘weren't real multihull sailors if we never dropped a mast next to the boat’. Basically Meade explained how much stronger all the shit we broke would be after we fixed it with 6ten.

He donated his time and skill and totally saved us. Just a crazy amount of good guy shit he did today, all while he could have been tweaking adagio or booby trapping Strings.

Weather forecast looks great. One model showing 1 day 2 hours, the other showing 1 day 3m hours. See ya on the island!

Attached Files

#70 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

Breeze finally filling in nicely here aboard Monitou and we are once again rolling along putting distance back on Adagio that they chewed up our lead in the soft stuff plus a few sail handling mistakes we tried. Southerly has filled in and we are full main and screecher almost to the point of maybe chute. Nice champagne sailing right now. Sitting in the beanbag chair and driving with two fingers.

#71 Irishdriver

Irishdriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Nice Geff! Keep the reports coming, I appreciate them!

#72 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

I know the beach is the place to be in light air, but Natalie J is taking it a little too far ;)

Attached Files

#73 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,993 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Windquest had to gybe in to cover Natalie J, and a couple minutes ago Bora told me they were flying with A2 and spin staysail, with TWA at 138. That is some damned pleasant sailing right there! I think NJ left two or three at the dock in preparation for the light conditions, wind should left as the sun goes down, letting them go more NE'ly through the night.

#74 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Kind of interesting that Gougeon multis are 1-2-3 on the latest tracker update. It appears Jan's new boat, as expected, likes the breeze on. Long way to go.

#75 skins

skins

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

Breeze on? Where are you looking for wind reports??

#76 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Just the 10kts boat speed vs 5-6kts. When they were going 10, Jan's boat was marching on the others. In the lighter stuff, it appeared to struggle.

#77 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

The pictures from onboard Evolution just look sad. So happy I'm on my couch right now! I hate drifters.

#78 LakeHopper

LakeHopper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

Where are the pics?

#79 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

The pictures from onboard Evolution just look sad. So happy I'm on my couch right now! I hate drifters.

9 KNOTS IS A DRIFTER?

#80 skins

skins

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

Just the 10kts boat speed vs 5-6kts. When they were going 10, Jan's boat was marching on the others. In the lighter stuff, it appeared to struggle.

So Jan does better relative to the fleet in 8kts tws compared to his performance in 5kts tws?

You must be an amazing sailboat racing analyst to be able to pick the fast design in those conditions. Breeze on indeed

#81 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

So Jan does better relative to the fleet in 8kts tws compared to his performance in 5kts tws?

You must be an amazing sailboat racing analyst to be able to pick the fast design in those conditions. Breeze on indeed

It's observational data. When Jan was going 5-6 kts he was falling back; when he was he was going 10kts he was reeling them back in, is that hard for you to grasp?

Who pissed on your cornflakes?

#82 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

Where are the pics?

That's one seriously unhappy 3di!
Posted Image

#83 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:46 AM

Hows Il Mostro doing? The Bayview-Mac tracker isn't loading on the slow ass internet here on the ship so I'll ask y'all.

#84 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Hows Il Mostro doing? The Bayview-Mac tracker isn't loading on the slow ass internet here on the ship so I'll ask y'all.

They withdrew a month or so ago. Just doing the Chi-Mac.

#85 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

Wondered why I haven't heard anything about their progress thus far. Makes sense now. Interested to see how they do in the Chi-Mac.

#86 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

Wondered why I haven't heard anything about their progress thus far. Makes sense now. Interested to see how they do in the Chi-Mac.

They were out sailing today in Chicago. I'm sure Grinder's got better details. The lucky bastard was onboard.

#87 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

INTERNATIONAL MEDIA, THEY TOLD US WE DON'T NEED A FLAG!!!!!!!

Sorry, had to be said.

#88 Callahan

Callahan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Looks like Bernida the "R" class boat is kicking rear end. Only 7 miles behind the Melges 32 and in front of some pretty fast boats. So who gave this boat an obvious cupcake rating of 192? Imagine being on a Farr 30 having a 192 rater beating you boat for boat. No doubt it is well sailed with great sails but come on, they are leading their class boat for boat by a couple of zip codes.

#89 Lamps

Lamps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Looks like Bernida the "R" class boat is kicking rear end. Only 7 miles behind the Melges 32 and in front of some pretty fast boats. So who gave this boat an obvious cupcake rating of 192? Imagine being on a Farr 30 having a 192 rater beating you boat for boat. No doubt it is well sailed with great sails but come on, they are leading their class boat for boat by a couple of zip codes.

Bernida won the first byc mack in 1925; could win the shore course overall this year.

#90 no one important

no one important

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

shenanigan looking good. 3 overall 1st class at the moment. 95 miles to go. sailed with and against dan & dick when i was 8 to about 20 at fyc before i moved. good on them!

#91 Chops

Chops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:sailing fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Sails were prob made in china like most of the sails he makes.

#92 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

ok, the rhumb line for both shore and cove courses shows it going in between Round Island and Bois Blanc, looping back in front of Mackinac Island. What am I missing here? It's not consistent with the SI's

edit - this is from the Yellow Brick maps

#93 Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

ok, the rhumb line for both shore and cove courses shows it going in between Round Island and Bois Blanc, looping back in front of Mackinac Island. What am I missing here? It's not consistent with the SI's

Not enough depth in there for sailboats.

#94 motorcitysailor

motorcitysailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing, snowboarding, booze, bars, and sometimes even girls!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

According to the tracker, Windquest should be within sight of the finish line, yet not a peep about it on the race news. Disappointing.

#95 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

they are finishing now, dumbass controlling the webcam can't follow her for chyt though

#96 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Fast race, eh? Natalie J kicking ass again....

#97 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

I bet the flies were fun today

#98 Nick Farrell

Nick Farrell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

You're right - we're wrong. Just corrected.

Nick @ YB

#99 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

Not enough depth in there for sailboats.

I know, that's what didn't make sense.

Good luck in Chicago.

#100 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

You're right - we're wrong. Just corrected.

Nick @ YB

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users