Cruising guide from Lake Erie to Lake Huron?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Krause

Jim Krause

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Music, composition, photography, cinematography, sailing, kayaking, exploring, running, having fun....

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

I've got to move a 37' sailboat (6 foot draft) from Lake Erie up the Detroit River to Lake Huron. Can anyone recommend a decent cruising guide covering this? I'm also eager to read any logs from those who've done this on a sailboat.

Many thanks

Gtr Jim

#2 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

I've got to move a 37' sailboat (6 foot draft) from Lake Erie up the Detroit River to Lake Huron. Can anyone recommend a decent cruising guide covering this? I'm also eager to read any logs from those who've done this on a sailboat.

Many thanks

Gtr Jim

Hi Jim,
Any cruising guide that doesn't extoll the beauty of the grounds and beach at the Zug Island Yacht Club is not worth it's price. Where in Lake Erie to where on Lake Huron?

#3 Jim Krause

Jim Krause

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Music, composition, photography, cinematography, sailing, kayaking, exploring, running, having fun....

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

I'm starting from Cleveland and eventually ending in the Grand Traverse Bay. We have 3-4 weeks total. I'm guessing we'll take almost a week to slog our way up into the North Channel of Lake Huron, where we'll then spend a few weeks enjoying Killarney, Whalesback, Fox Islands, etc. before heading over to Lake Michigan. I'm not looking forward to the Detroit River/southern Huron stretch much- which will hopefully be remedied with some local knowledge.

thanks

- Jim

#4 SereneSpeed

SereneSpeed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:this stuff and other stuff

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Check out the "Ports" books. I can tell you that the Ports books and a good set of charts will fill your days for 3-4weeks in the North Channel and Killarney.

What is your draft? The Pool at the end of Baie Fine is a must if you can make it in.

The ground is ROCK you need to watch for shoals.

When in Killarney, Killarney Mountain lodge for breakfast and dinner, Herbert's Fish and Chips for lunch.

Enjoy!

#5 Jim Krause

Jim Krause

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

"Ports" - yes thanks. I think that was standard issue for some of the charters we've been on. Baie Fine /hiking to Topaz Lake- some of my favorite places up there. We'll be drawing nearly 6 feet - maybe we can still slide in (no worries with a 5-foot draft last time). I've yet to explore Killarney and will look forward to Herb's Fish & Chips.

Thanks for the recommendations!

- Jim

#6 jhiller

jhiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

Stop in at Jefferson Beach Marina for the night and you can leave in the morning and make Lake Huron easily by the next afternoon. There are harbors every 60 miles on both sides of the Lake.

#7 snubber

snubber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Jim,
As you head west in Lake Erie, consider anchoring in School House Bay (on the east shore of Middle Bass). It's a quieter alternative to PIB, but it's relatively open.
Logs for the southern portion of the trip from Lake Erie. I like Jim Hebert's "Continuous Wave" website. He wrote a detailed log of his 1986 trip, when they hugged the east/Canadian shore of Lake Huron. Here:
http://continuouswav.../transfer-trip/
I just returned from a week in the North Channel on my Bolger sharpie. You've been there and know what to expect. New developments for 2012?
New (very new), very nice docks in Meldrum Bay. New (2011) marina center, showers, laundry. Meldrum Bay Inn is still as great as ever, and the store in Meldrum is now open again. Blind River was nice, but relatively dead. Very few boats in the water (either cruising, or the locals who keep their boats in BR). If you clear back into US customs/immigration at Drummond Island, the outer fuel dock is a horrible, broken, jagged monster of rotten wood and metal spikes. It's unprotected from the north or from powerboat wakes and parts of the wall are only wooden piers (thus, impossible for fenders to protect your boat).
Water levels were a little over chart datum, but generally drop a bit over the summer.
Have a great time.
Bill, in Texas

#8 Jim Krause

Jim Krause

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Thanks so much for the tips, info and links. I really appreciate it. The Jefferson Beach Marina looks HUGE! It's interesting hearing about Blind River. It seemed to be on the slide years ago when I last visited.

Thanks for the great info- I'm starting to look forward to the first leg of the trip now.

- Jim

#9 SpongeDeckSquareFoil

SpongeDeckSquareFoil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

Stop in at Jefferson Beach Marina for the night and you can leave in the morning and make Lake Huron easily by the next afternoon. There are harbors every 60 miles on both sides of the Lake.

Shouldn't he make it by afternoon the same day if leaving early enough?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users