#1 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Rope gods,

I watched the "How to splice Swiftcord" video on the Maffioli website. Unless I'm missing something it looks like they are leaving tape inside the eyesplice:

• first, you run a messenger through
  • taper and wrap the taper with tape
  • tie the messenger to the taper
  • pull the taper through with the messenger
  • clip off the messenger and milk
This leaves the taper wrapped with slippery tape inside the eyesplice, no? Doesn't a slippery tail defeat the purpose and make for a weak eyesplice?

I was thinking (while I wait for my 10mm Swiftcord to arrive) that it would be better to make the bury longer, taper it, tape it, pull the entire taper through, snip off the taped taper off and then retaper. Then pull the new taper back in. Yeah, costs more rope but everything is clean with no tape in the eyesplice. Bareback.

#2 markvannote

markvannote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

We do splice Swiftcord a bit differently than in that video. That said, we do leave a wrap if tape around the taper where some of the strands are cut in order to get it in the tunnel without it going pear-shaped. So, yes, two wraps remain while removing the last wrap because it is accessible. I have not known this to cause any issues. That said, Maffioli for sure tests their methods. They do not disclose the diameter of the rope they are splicing but it could be 5mm resulting in a bury which is 100 times the diameter which is heaps. Swiftcord has a whole lot more bite/grip to it than something like Dyneema single braid as well.

Long story short, if you follow their methods and recommended bury lengths you will not go wrong unless you do something wrong.

One more tip being the Marlow puller fid. Much easier than running Ultra through it. Others here will talk about seizing wire as well. That would work but I like the puller fid.

Thanks.
Mark

#3 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

Why not push the bury through with a shuttle aka fid like he did with the 2mm and taper the bury after the fact and then milk it back in...

Without a locking splice I would not be comfortable knowing there is some sticktape stopping the cover biting into the who bury.. You may as well have a correct length splice with 100% of it working for you than an over length splice with 75% of it working for you..

#4 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

Yeah, the Cordura is grippy. I think I'll still throw in a Brummell.

#5 Yachtdog

Yachtdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

We do splice Swiftcord a bit differently than in that video. That said, we do leave a wrap if tape around the taper where some of the strands are cut in order to get it in the tunnel without it going pear-shaped. So, yes, two wraps remain while removing the last wrap because it is accessible. I have not known this to cause any issues. That said, Maffioli for sure tests their methods. They do not disclose the diameter of the rope they are splicing but it could be 5mm resulting in a bury which is 100 times the diameter which is heaps. Swiftcord has a whole lot more bite/grip to it than something like Dyneema single braid as well.

Long story short, if you follow their methods and recommended bury lengths you will not go wrong unless you do something wrong.

One more tip being the Marlow puller fid. Much easier than running Ultra through it. Others here will talk about seizing wire as well. That would work but I like the puller fid.

Thanks.
Mark

I like the Marlow fid too Mark. That or something better than seizing wire, try the inside core of various size 1x19 removed, cut and folded in halve.
I hope all is well with you up there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users