Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

Holy fucking shit, I have had ENOUGH!

I've had this crew, who runs late, doesn't call, refuses to wear appropriate clothing, cannot decipher a simple fucking email, shows up with his spouse for crew, when there's no room on the boat, and I've specifically said we're maxxed out. He's new. I've been patient. I've been generous. Hey, it's only beer can races. The water is shallow, and warm, plenty of other boats around, right? Grow the sport, right?

For the entire season so far, I have provided the following, all at my own expense to all of my crew:

A wide assortment of chilled beverages, PFD's, line gloves, hats, harnesses, tethers, breakfasts, dinners, lunches, snacks, sunscreen, bug spray, sun glasses, to say nothing of the cash I've been pouring into my beloved 4ktsb, so that we have fun, functional gear to play with.

This guy races in his work uniform for fuck's sake. He either wears "mandles" which are not secure on his feet, or he wears monstrous, heavy work boots which will either drown him, or make it impossible for him to assist in his own recovery if he goes MOB. He initially fought me on wearing gloves! I have gently prodded him to get his own gear. I've pointed him to the local chandlery, Bacon Sails that sells used gear at give-away prices. I've pointed him at Goodwill, where you can buy wicking T shirts for $3 god-damned dollars each. I've pointed him towards $20.00 Chuck Taylors and all I get is push-back!

So here we are, 5 days before the Eastport-Solomons Invitational, a 45 mile race at fucking night, and I tell the crew that in matters of safety, "my word is law". The first thing he does, is argue with me on the only thing I've asked him to do: Wear appropriate clothing. It's not a fucking fashion show, it's basic god-damned safety. I swear, I'm not out to break his wallet. I just don't want to be the next skipper in the news, who loses a crew and gets dissected in the public court of Sailing Anarchy and Sailnet.

"But can't I just..." No, you re-fucking-tard, you can't. I'm not compromising on safety. I decide what safety is. It's my fucking ride, and I'm done making compromises.

So dumbass, because you repeatedly can't follow simple fucking instructions without arguing every single time, you're fired. You're fucking-A fired. FIRED!!!

I'd say "Pack up your shit and get out!" but you don't have any shit, because I've provided it all!

[/rant. fucking. off.]

#2 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,325 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:29 AM

Dide he ague abote the firring to?

:)

#3 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,428 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

Your boat, your responsibility. If ya need somebody to come by and reinforce your decision, just holler - you're not more than an hour's drive from my office.

#4 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, sailing, beer.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

We want names.

#5 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

We don't give guys like this much more than one or two chances to get it together on my boats. If the vibe isn't right, hey, it isn't right and you will end up being distracted by this goon during racing and possibly damaging the chemistry with the rest of your good crew.

We won't beg crew to come sail or behave properly on deck. There are plenty of other people who are keen to race and work as a team.

I say flick him!

#6 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

Try single handing... less stress, and only one human to rely on and argue with, and you can pick the tunes too....

Good call on the firing, i would have not been that patient. safety first and foremost. B)

#7 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars-Fast Boats-Fast Woman and Beer

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

Fuck your a bit hard on him.........

#8 gjesail

gjesail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

What took you so f'ing long?

#9 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,138 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

Seems more like a divorce.

#10 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:08 AM

1341887026[/url]' post='3780427']

I've had this crew, who runs late, doesn't call, refuses to wear appropriate clothing, cannot decipher a simple fucking email, shows up with his spouse for crew, when there's no room on the boat, and I've specifically said we're maxxed out. He's new. I've been patient. I've been generous. Hey, it's only beer can races. The water is shallow, and warm, plenty of other boats around, right? Grow the sport, right?

For the entire season so far, I have provided the following, all at my own expense to all of my crew:

A wide assortment of chilled beverages, PFD's, line gloves, hats, harnesses, tethers, breakfasts, dinners, lunches, snacks, sunscreen, bug spray, sun glasses, to say nothing of the cash I've been pouring into my beloved 4ktsb, so that we have fun, functional gear to play with.

This guy races in his work uniform for fuck's sake. He either wears "mandles" which are not secure on his feet, or he wears monstrous, heavy work boots which will either drown him, or make it impossible for him to assist in his own recovery if he goes MOB. He initially fought me on wearing gloves! I have gently prodded him to get his own gear. I've pointed him to the local chandlery, Bacon Sails that sells used gear at give-away prices. I've pointed him at Goodwill, where you can buy wicking T shirts for $3 god-damned dollars each. I've pointed him towards $20.00 Chuck Taylors and all I get is push-back!

So here we are, 5 days before the Eastport-Solomons Invitational, a 45 mile race at fucking night, and I tell the crew that in matters of safety, "my word is law". The first thing he does, is argue with me on the only thing I've asked him to do: Wear appropriate clothing. It's not a fucking fashion show, it's basic god-damned safety. I swear, I'm not out to break his wallet. I just don't want to be the next skipper in the news, who loses a crew and gets dissected in the public court of Sailing Anarchy and Sailnet.

"But can't I just..." No, you re-fucking-tard, you can't. I'm not compromising on safety. I decide what safety is. It's my fucking ride, and I'm done making compromises.

So dumbass, because you repeatedly can't follow simple fucking instructions without arguing every single time, you're fired. You're fucking-A fired. FIRED!!!

I'd say "Pack up your shit and get out!" but you don't have any shit, because I've provided it all!

[/rant. fucking. off.]

This is why single handing looks better and better..we have all probably had some experience like you have, probably not been as patient as you've been ..I had one kid that was mouthy with me ..the word mutiny came up in the conversation..Best of luck with your remaining crew..

#11 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

This is why single handing looks better and better..we have all probably had some experience like you have, probably not been as patient as you've been ..I had one kid that was mouthy with me ..the word mutiny came up in the conversation..Best of luck with your remaining crew..

Especially the cute ones.

#12 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

I've had this crew, who runs late, doesn't call... ...

This guy races in his work uniform for fuck's sake. He either wears "mandles" which are not secure on his feet, or he wears monstrous, heavy work boots

... ...

Are you the kind of guy who enjoy smacking people? Cuz this guy earned at least one winch handle upside the head.

Should have shit-canned him the first time he showed up in work boots. Nobody wears work boots on a boat that I'm sailing on, even if it's not my boat.

FB- Doug

#13 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

You might give him a call or send him an e-mail or a text message with a link to this thread. Nice rant (seriously), but regardless of this guy's shortcomings, maybe you should chill a bit and delete the post.

I feel sorry for the rest of your crew who are probably shitting carpet tacks after reading that shit. Take up golf.

#14 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,599 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

This thread has legs.

Thanx Ajax..... :lol:

#15 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:48 AM

This thread has legs.

This guy races in his uniform, for fucks' sake. God damned you Boothy, Chilton's taken a hit -- you man the guns and I'll bring her in. When we land, Chap, we'll flip for the girl with the auburn hair.

#16 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,883 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

This thread has legs.

This guy races in his uniform, for fucks' sake. God damned you Boothy, Chilton's taken a hit -- you man the guns and I'll bring her in. When we land, Chap, we'll flip for the girl with the auburn hair.

I'm getting the impression the uniform is from Home Depot, not the USMC.

#17 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

This thread has legs.

I was thinking McD's BJ.

#18 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

This thread has legs.

I was thinking McD's BJ.

He races in .... (gasp) Work. Boots. Do they even make work boots with non-marking soles? I'm surprised he didn't get a boot to the nuts the first time he tried to climb aboard with *work boots*.

#19 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

1341892720[/url]' post='3780548']

1341892503[/url]' post='3780547']

1341892138[/url]' post='3780541']

1341891588[/url]' post='3780534']
This thread has legs.

I was thinking McD's BJ.

Or the local honey bucket company.. Their moto is your shit is my bread and butter.

#20 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:14 AM

This thread has legs.

I was thinking McD's BJ.

US postal service? What could possibly go wrong!

#21 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,599 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

This thread has legs.

I was thinking McD's BJ.

He races in .... (gasp) Work. Boots. Do they even make work boots with non-marking soles? I'm surprised he didn't get a boot to the nuts the first time he tried to climb aboard with *work boots*.

Ajax, please tell us they're Doc Martens.....

#22 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

If what he says is true he has a dumb arse crew anyhow, partly his fault I would have thought. All jokes aside sounds like they all take it very very casual and he doesn't so it's a communications issue. Ajax, go and read the book, How to win friends and influence people :rolleyes:

#23 Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

I can emphasize with you.

I had this 17 year old “kid” crew with me for several years – he was never on time, never had weather appropriate clothing. Never wore shoes or if he did they were totally trashed. But he was this guy I knew when he was a baby – watched him grow up ect… He loved sailing – totally full of shit tho. Would argue everything with you from how to trim the sails to where to sit on the fucking boat. Broke stuff, forgot to shackle halyards so we would loose them aloft while going inside overlapped to marks ….I put up with him for years off and on. Took him on the “big” race in our area one year – it’s a two or three day race. As the skipper of a boat you do not really see what’s going on all the time – the crew sort of kept me from this guys antics. I went to head ฝ way thru race – in the head this tool was drying off his race striped gray underwear that was once white. I mean they were fucking grey with this gross stripe where his …. His shoes were also drying – they had holes in them and smelled really bad. In one of the holes he had put his toothbrush to dry. His wet socks which my wife had given him were dripping all over the place. Later that day I gave him a few moments to drive the boat as I do on all overnight races – I realized why the crew did not like to sit next to this guy – he frigging stank – I mean stank big time. I told him he stank and to use my old spice – use a lot of it and keep it. He frigging started arguing with me telling me that using old spice was bad for your body ect…. My objection to his smell was a primitive reaction to normal BO. I took tiller away and told him sorry – use it. Later that night we noticed cabin was smelling funny. We discovered his rain washed disgusting cloths were now laying around the cabin – wife grabbed a plastic bag used inside of bag to grab his shit, we sealed it up and stored with garbage. Cabin started smelling better. When we ended race after drinks ect… we cleaned up boat and threw out garbage. Stinky comes back from party after all the work was done and wonders where his shit is. It turns out the crew decided to throw all his shit away after they saw wife actions. Everything this guy had was put in plastic and thrown away. I could not argue with logic. Guy got very upset – why was everyone picking on him???? The performance was priceless. As he was a family friend and we were in a resort area and he is of limited means, I took him to store and bought him shoes, underwear, and two outfits - shirts and shorts. Gave him some money and sent him on his way. Before he left I told him all the things he did wrong and that he sucked as a crew. He will never sail on my boat again. I then just walked away. I saw him a year or so later crewing on another boat - same guy a little better I am told – that skipper will never let him sail a long distance race on his boat either.

Its really sad – as he is really into sailing. I always want to keep someone sailing but ----- this guys is stupid and or a tool and too stupid to realize it.

#24 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,599 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

....and that's when Gator decided to go to Eff-U.

The End.....

#25 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

This thread has legs.

I don't give a fuck if the crew's wearing a paper hat with golden fucking arches and shoveling fries into a small paper bag. Skipper is an ass.

Legs.....

#26 Poida

Poida

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:45 AM

A little self control would not have gone astray, but hey...it's fun to have a rant.

#27 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

This thread has legs.

I don't give a fuck if the crew's wearing a paper hat with golden fucking arches and shoveling fries into a small paper bag. Skipper is an ass.

Legs.....

Skipper is an ass for firing a guy from the boat before a distance race at night who hasn't been listening or following instructions for a whole season with regards to wearing proper safe sailing equipment/clothing?

You're right, a total ass..............

#28 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:racing CAtalina 38 in CHRF fleet - SBYC

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

We want names.

Names are important so some other skipper doesn't get him. You have struck a blow for skippers everywhere. I have a crew member who has been with me for 3 years. We are shorthanded so she is raising the genoa. I say, "we are going to raise this on port tack." I look up and my 155 is spread down the port side of the mast. She still does not understand what she did wrong and just assumes tha I have lost it again. The prior sail, I said, to the guy near the from of the cokpit, "let out the main." She is up on deck and lowers the main halyard. She is going to kill someone but I cannot fire her because I am too shorthanded.

#29 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

This thread has legs.

Legs.....

Skipper is an ass for firing a guy from the boat before a distance race at night who hasn't been listening or following instructions for a whole season with regards to wearing proper safe sailing equipment/clothing?

No. Skip is an ass for tossing him under the bus here.

#30 BelfastChild

BelfastChild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

I feel your pain. I had a boat on the CYCA marina and all the guys had to do was step onboard. I handled everything else; racing fees, shirts, caps, food, beverages, the works. When I eventually had had enough and sold the boat, some of them had the temerity to have a go at me for upsetting their sailing schedule! Needless to say, I've not heard from many of them since. I was never a tough or harsh skipper, perhaps the opposite. Anyway, I now sail on OPBs and always find out what the PBO drinks and ensure that I bring a bottle (or bottles) on each outing. I also make sure to take him for lunch a few times between race seasons. Pretty much all the things I'd wanted my crew to do, but never did!

#31 krissteyn

krissteyn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

2 comments

1 THATS WHY I SINGLE HAND
2 Set the rules from day 1 , if not applied on day 2 , gerroff my boat - WHY MUST I SPEAK TWICE !

#32 PBO

PBO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Legs.....

No. Skip is an ass for tossing him under the bus here.

Could have been worse...boom in the back of the head at the bottom mark?

#33 djet

djet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Work boots are great to sail in. And they make non marking soles with great grip.
Just as long as they're clean.
Best to let the owner know they are non marking.

Did you try changing beer brands to keep your crew .lol

Oh btw after 3 days at sea you all smell the same...

Over here the saying is "you've been eased"

#34 muppet

muppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

I had this 17 year old “kid” crew with me for several years – he was never on time, never had weather appropriate clothing. Never wore shoes or if he did they were totally trashed. But he was this guy I knew when he was a baby – watched him grow up ect… He loved sailing – totally full of shit tho. Would argue everything with you from how to trim the sails to where to sit on the fucking boat. Broke stuff, forgot to shackle halyards so we would loose them aloft while going inside overlapped to marks ….I put up with him for years off and on. Took him on the “big” race in our area one year – it’s a two or three day race. As the skipper of a boat you do not really see what’s going on all the time – the crew sort of kept me from this guys antics. I went to head ฝ way thru race – in the head this tool was drying off his race striped gray underwear that was once white. I mean they were fucking grey with this gross stripe where his …. His shoes were also drying – they had holes in them and smelled really bad. In one of the holes he had put his toothbrush to dry. His wet socks which my wife had given him were dripping all over the place. Later that day I gave him a few moments to drive the boat as I do on all overnight races – I realized why the crew did not like to sit next to this guy – he frigging stank – I mean stank big time. I told him he stank and to use my old spice – use a lot of it and keep it. He frigging started arguing with me telling me that using old spice was bad for your body ect…. My objection to his smell was a primitive reaction to normal BO. I took tiller away and told him sorry – use it. Later that night we noticed cabin was smelling funny. We discovered his rain washed disgusting cloths were now laying around the cabin – wife grabbed a plastic bag used inside of bag to grab his shit, we sealed it up and stored with garbage. Cabin started smelling better. When we ended race after drinks ect… we cleaned up boat and threw out garbage. Stinky comes back from party after all the work was done and wonders where his shit is. It turns out the crew decided to throw all his shit away after they saw wife actions. Everything this guy had was put in plastic and thrown away. I could not argue with logic. Guy got very upset – why was everyone picking on him???? The performance was priceless. As he was a family friend and we were in a resort area and he is of limited means, I took him to store and bought him shoes, underwear, and two outfits - shirts and shorts. Gave him some money and sent him on his way. Before he left I told him all the things he did wrong and that he sucked as a crew. He will never sail on my boat again. I then just walked away. I saw him a year or so later crewing on another boat - same guy a little better I am told – that skipper will never let him sail a long distance race on his boat either.

Its really sad – as he is really into sailing. I always want to keep someone sailing but ----- this guys is stupid and or a tool and too stupid to realize it.

Most 17 year olds stink, it does not matter how much deodorant you throw at them, part of the thing that hormones do as they are growing up. Have a look at a 17 year olds bed room and you will see what is going on in his brain, just a growing up thing. You need to ease them through this time and shouting is never goig to fix it. They can actually be very entertaining if handled correctly.

#35 Damp Freddie

Damp Freddie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • Interests:sport boats, 59er poss' and developments: beer.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

I don't know why he doesn't just fire him and move on along, perhaps it has been a painful thing to do:

Posted Image

#36 AussieSailorChick

AussieSailorChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Never compromise on safety.

The end.

(having said this, the more bees with honey concept works well - the owner has to be the most important person on the boat or no one goes sailing - buy him a beer, pass him the water first - courtesy goes a long way!!)

I would have sacked the bloke a lot earlier..!

#37 GybeSetฎ

GybeSetฎ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,217 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

I had this 17 year old "kid" crew with me for several years – he was never on time, never had weather appropriate clothing. Never wore shoes or if he did they were totally trashed. But he was this guy I knew when he was a baby – watched him grow up ect… He loved sailing – totally full of shit tho. Would argue everything with you from how to trim the sails to where to sit on the fucking boat. Broke stuff, forgot to shackle halyards so we would loose them aloft while going inside overlapped to marks ….I put up with him for years off and on. Took him on the "big" race in our area one year – it's a two or three day race. As the skipper of a boat you do not really see what's going on all the time – the crew sort of kept me from this guys antics. I went to head ฝ way thru race – in the head this tool was drying off his race striped gray underwear that was once white. I mean they were fucking grey with this gross stripe where his …. His shoes were also drying – they had holes in them and smelled really bad. In one of the holes he had put his toothbrush to dry. His wet socks which my wife had given him were dripping all over the place. Later that day I gave him a few moments to drive the boat as I do on all overnight races – I realized why the crew did not like to sit next to this guy – he frigging stank – I mean stank big time. I told him he stank and to use my old spice – use a lot of it and keep it. He frigging started arguing with me telling me that using old spice was bad for your body ect…. My objection to his smell was a primitive reaction to normal BO. I took tiller away and told him sorry – use it. Later that night we noticed cabin was smelling funny. We discovered his rain washed disgusting cloths were now laying around the cabin – wife grabbed a plastic bag used inside of bag to grab his shit, we sealed it up and stored with garbage. Cabin started smelling better. When we ended race after drinks ect… we cleaned up boat and threw out garbage. Stinky comes back from party after all the work was done and wonders where his shit is. It turns out the crew decided to throw all his shit away after they saw wife actions. Everything this guy had was put in plastic and thrown away. I could not argue with logic. Guy got very upset – why was everyone picking on him???? The performance was priceless. As he was a family friend and we were in a resort area and he is of limited means, I took him to store and bought him shoes, underwear, and two outfits - shirts and shorts. Gave him some money and sent him on his way. Before he left I told him all the things he did wrong and that he sucked as a crew. He will never sail on my boat again. I then just walked away. I saw him a year or so later crewing on another boat - same guy a little better I am told – that skipper will never let him sail a long distance race on his boat either.

easy to lose that one, you've virtually described a burley trail for the man in the grey suit

#38 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

Recreation probably shouldn't make you feel so much anger. Food for thought.

#39 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Fuck your a bit hard on him.........

If what he says is true he has a dumb arse crew anyhow, partly his fault I would have thought. All jokes aside sounds like they all take it very very casual and he doesn't so it's a communications issue. Ajax, go and read the book, How to win friends and influence people :rolleyes:

Legs.....

Ok, it's the next morning and I've slept on it. I've read all the negative comments, and carefully pondered what you've said during my commute to work, and my conclusion is, you're dead wrong.

I'm not uptight, I'm very casual and I get along wonderfully with my other 12 crew in the pool. This is the ONLY guy who causes me any heartache.
You see, my problem isn't that I'm an ass, it's that I'm a doormat. I've allowed him and others to walk all over me, while providing them free drinks, equipment and sailing instruction. Regatta Dog, I respect your opinion because you are a very knowledgeable sailor, and a long-time Anarchist, but I disagree, and this time, I'm not backing down.
I haven't "outed" anyone. I didn't use a name, and none of my crew read Sailing Anarchy. I'm doing YOU a favor, by putting a little cholrine in the gene pool. I am this angry, precisely because I'm laid back, and this guy has pushed me beyond my limit. He's a schlub with zero common sense, zero courtesy, and a zero learning curve.

Let's review:
He's late.
He doesn't call or text when he's going to be late.
He doesn't follow instructions.
He's arguing with me on what I deem to be a safety issue, before a 45 mile night race. He's brand-new, and doesn't know anything, he's never raced at night. He has no idea how hard it is to recover a MOB.
He's been racing with me for a few months now, and he's simply not learning, not getting any better.
Lastly, he is upsetting my "chi".

I'm not going to be a doormat anymore. The only dissenters here, are people who've never met me in person, and don't really know how I've been running my program. I am at peace with my decision, and that's all that matters.

#40 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

You've had Left Hook sail with you?

#41 Just Another Sailor

Just Another Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Skipper rules...

However did you really need to post this rant? R U that insecure in needing our support? Get a backbone buddy!

#42 landloc

landloc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Two words. Rodney King.

Now I must go kiss my skipper for being such a paragon (blind, misguided, source of great entertainment to the crew, prone to stories about "when I was sailing with Noah, we won this race", etc, but he provided the boat and drink and then it was up to us as a team). Sniff. Another Joni Mitchell moment.:wacko:

#43 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,325 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

That wassent nise....wespy is spesiale :)

#44 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

I'm not going to be a doormat anymore. The only dissenters here, are people who've never met me in person, and don't really know how I've been running my program. I am at peace with my decision, and that's all that matters.

Have some sympathy and I too have been dormatted. Had some brilliant crew who ended up treating me with contempt as they stepped up to bigger and better things. And we're not talking 4ksb's here. But that's the peril of being an owner. You're a manager. You take the good and accommodate some of the bad to keep it. I have one of my crew now, and he knows who he is, who's not the most reliable. He's not the best tactical sailor. He rarely hikes as hard as he should, even though he's the heaviest. But he's incredibly efficient at what he does and without him, for some chemical reason, the crew doesn't gel, no matter who I bring in when he lets me down and can't make it. In those dark moments when I think, "fuck it, he's eased for sure this time," I think about the next big regatta and he's not the first crew I call, but he's definitely the second.

Your muppet doesn't seem to tick those boxes and you should have eased him a long time ago. The rest of your crew would probably have been pleased and you wouldn't have got to the stage where you had to rant on SA.

#45 dyslexic dog

dyslexic dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

As I read this all I could think of is "I always wondered where that guy ended up". Had the same thing on my boat. He had come over from another boat cause, "they had too much crew". About the sixth week I had had enough. The crew was all on edge bitchin and I figured out the only thing different from the last 3 years was this guy. He would argue with me as I said we are tacking and the helm is half over. WTF, we are tacking. I'll explain to you later why......

#46 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

<snip>
Your muppet doesn't seem to tick those boxes and you should have eased him a long time ago. The rest of your crew would probably have been pleased and you wouldn't have got to the stage where you had to rant on SA.

You know, you're right. This is valuable advice. In trying to be patient with him, I kept him far too long, so I exploded here on SA. In the future I'll do it sooner before, before I'm boiling. The crew will like it, my blood pressure will be lower, and no one here will have to hear about it.

Thanks for your perspective.

#47 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

Pictures or it didn't happen.

#48 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

In the future I'll do it sooner before, before I'm boiling. The crew will like it, my blood pressure will be lower

Actually, according to the laws of physical chemistry, your blood will boil at lower pressure rather than higher. ;-)

We all need a rant sometime. Good luck with your campaign. The more success you have, the easier it is to manage your crew. The more your crew gels and thinks as one, the more success you have.

#49 locster13

locster13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

It's clear to me that there is some sort of deep seeded problem with the gentleman that wrote this post. What is his issue with work boots? Had he been kicked around too much as a child by an overbearing father. Or does his wife wear them around the house in some sort of dominatrix manner begging that he honor the sole with tongue. "Boots are for the bedroom, not the boat". It makes no sense. If they were of the hard toed variety I can think of nothing safer on a yacht of this obvious fine caliber. Imagine dropping the 6 pound aluminum pole one one's toe during a tricky end for end gybe. No, the work boot reigns supreme in this case. Need I bring up the twisted ankle. Such boots, when properly tied, can provide the best of support. Especially when walking around on decks of this nature. I'm sure this fine racing yacht has been redecked within the past 25 years. Most Tartan 10's (or similar have been). If I were in this captains boots, so to speak, I would rise above the defamation, cuddle in with the enemy and rename the boat --- Boots..

#50 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Aww, Dude, just give me one more chance. I promise...

#51 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

damn.. beat me to it

#52 Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Aww, Dude, just give me one more chance. I promise...

He said that to me as I was walking away. It's really funny now. Thanks for the laugh

#53 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

For the entire season so far, I have provided the following, all at my own expense to all of my crew: A wide assortment of chilled beverages, PFD's, line gloves, hats, harnesses, tethers, breakfasts, dinners, lunches, snacks, sunscreen, bug spray, sun glasses, to say nothing of the cash I've been pouring into my beloved 4ktsb, so that we have fun, functional gear to play with [/rant. fucking. off.]

You provide all that? Where do I sign up?

#54 Santana20AE

Santana20AE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, bike riding

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

You are too patient. (and too kind) First time insubordinate a good screaming at, second time insubordinate, off the boat NOW:angry:

Attached File  Anna on her way to her first win compressed.JPG   501.95K   85 downloads

Not a newbie, formerly willk, got a new email address

#55 Cptnjp

Cptnjp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Mountain Biking , computers, Music, Socializing with others,

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Anarchist you are AWESOME Captain! I Agree get him off your boat! All it is is safety if no one can understand that then they shouldn't be on any boat. You have told him gave him things to wear and he totally ignored you! Its better this way so he has his LIFE left and he doesn't fall of your boat! I say if sailing isnt in your heart and soul and your just there to take up space then GET THE FUCK OFF racing is a serious and fun thing and you dont need people like that in your way ! If he would listen you could use him at the bar below to hand out drinks, But it sounds like he couldn't even do that!

#56 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts
  • Interests:Garnacha. Gunk-holing.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Tough love. . . . without the love!

I like it.

[/rant. fucking. off.]

#57 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

You let this go on WAY too long.
First look at boots coming towards me = turn right around and SeeYa!

You will not be able to keep good crew if you don't boot the bad ones off ;)

Speaking of bad crew, at age 10 or so we are winning an overnight race in our Pearson 30. I go off watch and a higher-up from my father's company is on the helm. I come on watch to find us hard aground with the bow about 150 feet from someone's back porch. Without thinking through the political issues with work, I blurted out "What RETARD can't tell a porch light from a 4 SECOND BLINKING MARK :angry: "

#58 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

What if he was wearing SLAM mandals?

#59 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:racing CAtalina 38 in CHRF fleet - SBYC

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

why are you posting on SA? Clearly you have never been on a racing sailboat. Safety of all the crew and boat can depend on a crew member responding appropriately when needed. That is why we have a skipper who makes the calls. A racing sailboat is not a democracy or debating society. Ajax should have booted this guy before he did because he was not a team player.

#60 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

... ...

Let's review:
He doesn't follow instructions.
He's arguing with me on what I deem to be a safety issue, before a 45 mile night race.
He's been racing with me for a few months now, and he's simply not learning, not getting any better.

... ...

Any one of those is enough to drop him. A non-sailor arguing with the skipper is a reason to dump him IMMEDIATELY, possibly with prejudice.

I've had the good luck to sail with some very good sailors, as skipper and as crew. When I'm the skipper, I welcome observations & comments & suggestions. I do not want instruction (unless asked for) and will only tolerate argument from sailors of great experience whom I respect and have sailed with enough to know that -they- know what they're talking about. Even then it tends to undercut that C3 structure which is not necessary for pleasant daysails but can be a matter of life or death if things go wrong

I have one long standing crew who is a real crackerjack, perfect bowman & a good trimmer, I've let him skipper my boat lots of times. He likes to argue but not when there is action imminent... I've had to cut him off verbally and make it clear that now is not the time. He also has an inexhaustible repertoire of filthy jokes. In other words, a keeper even though he likes to argue.

That's what it takes!

FB- Doug

{edit to add PS}
PS- nice rant IMHO. hey that's part of what SA is -FOR- !!

#61 puddin

puddin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Maybe the wrong forum for the entertaining rant, but you did the right thing Ajax. Not showing or being late with no phone call is no excuse. Arguing about boat safety is a non-starter. Any resistance like you experienced would get someone booted before the next sentence exited their pie hole. No argument, no grief, just an, "I'm sorry you don't see it that way. Best you find a boat that better meets your expectations as to what's acceptable as yours don't meet mine. Thanks and good luck."

#62 Anonymous Anarchist

Anonymous Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hey Ajax -

Is everything alright at home?

aa

#63 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

What exactly are Mandals? And what about the spouse? I take it she's less than appealing on the eyes otherwise ti wouldn't be an issue?

Doesn't sound like you have a tough time finding crew, so I guess you''re not socially awkward. It's your boat, you decide who you want to play on it with you.

#64 Glitter In The Eye

Glitter In The Eye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

LOL

Ajax is correct in what he did because it's his boat, but venting here is probably wrong.

#65 Beeracuda

Beeracuda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

Over the last several years I have done exactly the same thing. In addition I also generally pay for lodging when we have to spend the night (or nights) somewhere.

I have to say that all of the crew that benefited from this expense have been pretty good sailors. They have purchased the tethers, PFD's, and proper sailing clothing, and then generally know what they are doing.

Nevertheless, I have had crew who called me an idiot because I told him to avoid racial epitaphs, said that because I did not pay him I had to be much nicer when I explained what I wanted him to do, called me the biggest loser he had ever seen right after we won a big regatta, and in one case decided that because he was so good he did not have to spend any time helping put the boat to sleep after racing.

There are assholes of all stripes, but these guys no longer sail with me.

#66 Plus One

Plus One

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

I understand your anguish. I had a similar situation with a bunch of high school boys. When they were together they made a great team. When one showed, they all showed up on time. When one would not sail, the others would not show either. One of the kids was working out great as foredeck. He was smart, strong as an ox and fearless. I even let his father sail onboard to give them so bonding time. Well after a couple of no-shows, I had a sit down with him. I explained, if you do not show up again without a courtesy call, you are off the boat.

I had an important race coming up. I was counting on the kid to be there. I explained the importance for him to let me know if he was not going to make it. I spoke to his father. The night before, I made the call and spoke to him and his father. The kid said "I will be there". The father said, I will make sure he will be there. The next morning no show, no call and repeated calls to his cellphone with only voice mail. Needless to say, the kid was off the boat. I had a very calm conversation with him after the race, telling him he was off. I got all kind of excuses from him and his father.

After that lesson, the other boys slowly stopped sailing anymore by their own choice. Oh well, their loss.

I know the crew missed them because they were fun, but they completely understood. We sail as a team, we lose as a team. When you do not show up on time or at all, you hurt the team.

#67 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

LOL

Ajax is correct in what he did because it's his boat, but venting here is probably wrong.

I keep seeing this. Explain to me why it's wrong. This isn't CruisersForum or AnythingSailing, this is SA, so I'm not going to apologize for tromping on anyone's delicate sensibilities. Once again, I didn't name names, none of my crew read this forum or any sailing forum, for that matter. Why is venting about it here, wrong?

To clarify- I didn't this because I needed a hug, or anyone's approval. I did it because I was mad as hell. I held off on hitting the "submit" button for a good hour. I'm at peace with my decision and I feel better already. Some of the responses have yielded valuable perspectives so that I can handle it better next time. How is this inappropriate?

#68 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

There is nothing wrong with venting here. You didn't call out names, so its all good. This is the place to vent stuff like this.

#69 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

This is ANARCHY here and we have RULES :rolleyes: :P

LOL

I keep seeing this. Explain to me why it's wrong. This isn't CruisersForum or AnythingSailing, this is SA, so I'm not going to apologize for tromping on anyone's delicate sensibilities. Once again, I didn't name names, none of my crew read this forum or any sailing forum, for that matter. Why is venting about it here, wrong?

To clarify- I didn't this because I needed a hug, or anyone's approval. I did it because I was mad as hell. I held off on hitting the "submit" button for a good hour. I'm at peace with my decision and I feel better already. Some of the responses have yielded valuable perspectives so that I can handle it better next time. How is this inappropriate?

#70 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Interests:Custom Plastic Injection Molding
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Mac Gregor 65' Lean Machine
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

It's your boat and you get to decide who you will let sail with you. But, there are several ways you could have handled it better. If the guy shows up late, he misses the boat. If he shows up late twice, he's off the crew list. If he shows up with work boots and a work uniform, he probably has financial and schedule issues that he is sensitive about. So,then you need to decide whether you want to help him along or just not invite him. The wife coming along for a beer can race seems excessive on your part. It's a beer can race. The more the merrier. They are not about results. They are about unwinding mid-week with friends after work. It really seems that this guy is not somone you want to hang around and relax with, so just let him go. But, don't get so worked up about it. Kind of sounds like you have a small case of the guilts.

#71 Polaris

Polaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

This thread has legs.

Legs.....

You are outnumbered 1000 to 1 on this one, RD. He would have lasted LESS than one race on my boat.
There is alot of management involved in racing, the crew does not understand the expense or the time that is put in to make everything safe and fast. When the crew has the attitude that they are gracing you with their presence, they are not invited in the future. Good on you, Ajax. You are a patient man that did the right thing.

#72 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'm surprised you're getting this much hate ajax lol. It's fucking sailing anarchy, when did all these soft skinned nancys show up? Thank you for the entertaining rant :)

I'd sail with you anytime.

#73 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

It's your boat and you get to decide who you will let sail with you. But, there are several ways you could have handled it better. If the guy shows up late, he misses the boat. If he shows up late twice, he's off the crew list. If he shows up with work boots and a work uniform, he probably has financial and schedule issues that he is sensitive about. So,then you need to decide whether you want to help him along or just not invite him. The wife coming along for a beer can race seems excessive on your part. It's a beer can race. The more the merrier. They are not about results. They are about unwinding mid-week with friends after work. It really seems that this guy is not somone you want to hang around and relax with, so just let him go. But, don't get so worked up about it. Kind of sounds like you have a small case of the guilts.

Nope, no guilt.

I have NO problem with his spouse coming along when there's room, and perhaps I explained that part poorly.

What I'm driving at, is that he is repeatedly very poor at reading my very clear crew emails. This is why he's always late, always confused about where to meet the boat (even though we meet at the same place every week!), confused about whether there is room to bring his spouse. I have 12 other people in my crew pool and NONE of them have ever been confused about my intent. Yes, he's lower income but I don't judge him or look down on him. I've done everything except buy his fucking clothes. I don't expect my crew to show up with new Musto foulies and Dubarry's for fuck's sake. I told him that leather sandals, with no tread, and no ankle retaining strap were not appropriate for this race, nor were his 30lb., deck-scuffing work boots because they don't provide good grip. I asked him to find a cheap pair of Chuck's and as usual, what I got from him was "Can't I just..." and "Yabbut...."
I've let this shit slide on Wednesday nights because it isn't critical. A 45 mile night race with a newbie wearing inappropriate gear is a MOB waiting to happen. I'm sorry that some of you can't see that.

He was perfectly fine to hang out with after a race. Read my lips: Repeatedly fails to follow simple instructions that the other 12 people seem perfectly capable of following.

#74 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

Nope, no guilt.

I have NO problem with his spouse coming along when there's room, and perhaps I explained that part poorly.

What I'm driving at, is that he is repeatedly very poor at reading my very clear crew emails. This is why he's always late, always confused about where to meet the boat (even though we meet at the same place every week!), confused about whether there is room to bring his spouse. I have 12 other people in my crew pool and NONE of them have ever been confused about my intent. Yes, he's lower income but I don't judge him or look down on him. I've done everything except buy his fucking clothes. I don't expect my crew to show up with new Musto foulies and Dubarry's for fuck's sake. I told him that leather sandals, with no tread, and no ankle retaining strap were not appropriate for this race, nor were his 30lb., deck-scuffing work boots because they don't provide good grip. I asked him to find a cheap pair of Chuck's and as usual, what I got from him was "Can't I just..." and "Yabbut...."
I've let this shit slide on Wednesday nights because it isn't critical. A 45 mile night race with a newbie wearing inappropriate gear is a MOB waiting to happen. I'm sorry that some of you can't see that.

He was perfectly fine to hang out with after a race. Read my lips: Repeatedly fails to follow simple instructions that the other 12 people seem perfectly capable of following.

Ajax,
Time to take a deep breath, let it out and move on. In a couple days you are racing (overnight). Time to put this one away, get your game face on and start focusing on the race...
Crash

#75 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,599 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

There's been a little radio ad running lately for USAA insurance (a for-military personel only insurance agency), and one of the people in it has a great line;

'My Dad taught me that if you're not five minutes early, you're late.'

A good adage to live by, methinks.....

#76 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

What is a racial epitaph?
So many unanswered questions in this thread........

#77 Beer Can

Beer Can

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

LOL

Nothing is wrong with it, in my view.

#78 mrgnstrn

mrgnstrn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

I agree with this rant.

Both in subject, and in the pure fact that he ranted at all.

The rant is a natural pressure relief valve that prevents bigger emotional problems.

And really, who wants a stark raving lunatic mad AJAX on your doorstep ready to kill? nobody.

So let him rant, it's good for the soul to shout from the hills "YOU FUCKING SUCK, DIRTBAG!"

Go try it, you'll feel better too!

-M

#79 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Google suggests this-

Attached File  niggers_grave_large.jpg   253.99K   167 downloads

#80 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

I'm surprised you're getting this much hate ajax lol. It's fucking sailing anarchy, when did all these soft skinned nancys show up? Thank you for the entertaining rant :)

Ditto.

#81 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Being career military, Ajax may also be unaccustomed to the mild toleration of repeated upfucking.

#82 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Crew building is the hardest part of racing. Patience is a hard thing for competitive people, I started from scratch 6 months ago and are starting to get the crew and boat together. The biggest change for me was to quit worring about how we finished and look at how we actually sailed. All my guys and gals are newbies and some are a bit flaky so if we get around the course without a major fuck up it's a good race. When we started nobody in our fleet paid any attention to us, now we are moving up the fleet people are coving us and paying attention to where we are. It's been very satistying for everyone. I actually enjoy racing again, even if I am not winning as much.

#83 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Don't think it is a milspec only thing - How often would you have to show up late for doubles-tennis wearing a wet suit and using a croquet mallet before you got booted off the tennis roster?

Being career military, Ajax may also be unaccustomed to the mild toleration of repeated upfucking.

#84 Beer Can

Beer Can

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

It makes me nuts on those occasions where crew don't respond to my emails (always sent two days before, and usually with an additional reminder the morning of) and don't call and then also don't show. Then I call their cell and they're in frikkin' California or at home eating dinner. We sail at the same time every week, could you just hit the frikkin' reply button? I've got one teetering in this category who is a long-time friend and neighbor, so it makes me more inclined to get walked on. Other pet peeve: the only guy in the crew who is not employed and lives five minutes from the boat is the guy who is always late. Yes, he comes equipped with a story but I don't want to hear it. I am extremely loyal, however, to these guys, not because they are rock stars but because they were willing to sail with me when I really didn't know what I was doing as opposed to now, when I only sorta don't know what I'm doing.

#85 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

The problem with single handed sailing for long stretches of time is the hallucinations... they say that they gradually become more realistic. Pink dolphins you can teach yourself to ignore, but one famous solo long-distance sailor (sadly I forget who) told the story of hearing voices from the forepeak. He knew that this was a hallucination, but he still couldn't resist going up there to look around, under the sail bags, etc., to make sure. Over about a day, the voices went from being a mumble, to being clearly audible. And the problem is, what they were saying was realistic and believable... eventually he heard one of them shout," SHUT UP, I don't care if he sees me or finds us, I"M FUCKING HUNGRY and I'm going back to the galley to steal some food. "

#86 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

The problem with single handed sailing for long stretches of time is the hallucinations... they say that they gradually become more realistic. Pink dolphins you can teach yourself to ignore, but one famous solo long-distance sailor (sadly I forget who) told the story of hearing voices from the forepeak. He knew that this was a hallucination, but he still couldn't resist going up there to look around, under the sail bags, etc., to make sure. Over about a day, the voices went from being a mumble, to being clearly audible. And the problem is, what they were saying was realistic and believable... eventually he heard one of them shout," SHUT UP, I don't care if he sees me or finds us, I"M FUCKING HUNGRY and I'm going back to the galley to steal some food.* "

* that was me - I hid on the guy's boat to screw with him :lol:

#87 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

We want names.

so she is raising the genoa. I say, "we are going to raise this on port tack." I look up and my 155 is spread down the port side of the mast.

I know a couple of very smart people, good, experienced sailors, who always have to pause for a second to remember whether "port tack" means wind coming from port or boom on port. It's just a weird blind spot, kind of like some kind of dyslexia.

#88 openmyke

openmyke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Ajax, your rant was fantastic! Not only was it entertaining and instructional, you managed to provoke a reasonable discussion (and the trolls, of course) on some of the issues you raised. Nicely done.

#89 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

It's clear to me that there is some sort of deep seeded problem with the gentleman that wrote this post. What is his issue with work boots? Had he been kicked around too much as a child by an overbearing father. Or does his wife wear them around the house in some sort of dominatrix manner begging that he honor the sole with tongue. "Boots are for the bedroom, not the boat". It makes no sense. If they were of the hard toed variety I can think of nothing safer on a yacht of this obvious fine caliber. Imagine dropping the 6 pound aluminum pole one one's toe during a tricky end for end gybe. No, the work boot reigns supreme in this case. Need I bring up the twisted ankle. Such boots, when properly tied, can provide the best of support. Especially when walking around on decks of this nature. I'm sure this fine racing yacht has been redecked within the past 25 years. Most Tartan 10's (or similar have been). If I were in this captains boots, so to speak, I would rise above the defamation, cuddle in with the enemy and rename the boat --- Boots..

Fuck off Newbie. And post pics of Tits immediately to make up for your shit-headed post.

For those thinking that it was inappropriate to start this thread, I've thought it was a pretty good dialogue. As someone who is sort of doormattish myself, it is a question about how to handle questionable crew.

When I was in Junior High an aquaintance of mine pointed me to a boat with a very kindly 40-something skipper with 3 duaghters, none of whom would ever become great sailors. I became kind of indespensible and quickly brought along a couple of good friends who raced with us and helped him compete at a higher level. But I was always clear that sailing on his boat was a priviledge. He was not only a wonderful skipper to sail for, but a man who set, by quiet example, a high standard of what it means to be a man. He became a real mentor. One regret I DON"T have is that I actually wrote him before he died and told him how much he meant to me and why. This is what sailing was back in the 70's.

To wrap up, the first time a crew member doesn't meet expectations, it's time for a very direct, personal conversation once back on the dock. "Glad to have you sailing with us, but I think we have different ideas about what is expected. If you wish to crew for me again, I'd love to have you, but.......[fill in the blanks]

#90 Cubist

Cubist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Where I live you have to be practically an ex-Olympian to get a ride on a Tanzer 22.

And this guy's talking back to the skipper? Unbelievable.

#91 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

I might not always be PC, but I would never put something racist on my tombstone ;)

#92 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Ranting on SA is fine - probably better under one of those single use, special purpose, sock puppet names though.

Talking to your ship mates about why he is no longer aboard (and how they are not like him) might be a good idea just in case someone sees this thread.

#93 Dag-Sabot

Dag-Sabot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:My humps.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Can't believe this made the front page. Breaks my heart that I'm sucking up and degrading myself just to get onto a worthwhile program and on the other side of the planet, people with actual rides sail with work boots on.

#94 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,599 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

Ranting on SA is fine - probably better under one of those single use, special purpose, sock puppet names though.

Talking to your ship mates about why he is no longer aboard (and how they are not like him) might be a good idea just in case someone sees this thread.

Actually, I kinda like the term that they used in Argentina back in the 70's. Political dissidents and govvy protesters who mysteriously vanished over night were simply called The Disappeared.

Kept a lotta people in line...... :lol:

#95 SEMIJim

SEMIJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'm surprised you're getting this much hate ajax lol. It's fucking sailing anarchy, when did all these soft skinned nancys show up?

I had to look twice, to make sure I hadn't accidentally ended-up on CF or something. Hell, I can't imagine the skipper of the boat I crewed on for a couple seasons putting up with a fraction of that for a fraction of the time. As for venting here: Where else ya gonna vent? He named no names.

As would I.

Btw: Work boots on a boat? Unless they're Gills or the like: Not on our boat.

Jim

#96 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,636 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

Do you know how many times JT/Shadow/plus another 8-10 alias that he uses has heard YOUR FIRED from jobs and sailing programs?

#97 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

Bolded for emphasis. I think you mean empathize or sympathize...

MS

#98 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Offshore passages, new landfalls

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

[/rant. fucking. off.]

I had this 17 year old "kid" crew with me for several years – he was never on time, never had weather appropriate clothing. Never wore shoes or if he did they were totally trashed. But he was this guy I knew when he was a baby – watched him grow up ect… He loved sailing – totally full of shit tho. Would argue everything with you from how to trim the sails to where to sit on the fucking boat. Broke stuff, forgot to shackle halyards so we would loose them aloft while going inside overlapped to marks ….I put up with him for years off and on. Took him on the "big" race in our area one year – it's a two or three day race. As the skipper of a boat you do not really see what's going on all the time – the crew sort of kept me from this guys antics. I went to head ฝ way thru race – in the head this tool was drying off his race striped gray underwear that was once white. I mean they were fucking grey with this gross stripe where his …. His shoes were also drying – they had holes in them and smelled really bad. In one of the holes he had put his toothbrush to dry. His wet socks which my wife had given him were dripping all over the place. Later that day I gave him a few moments to drive the boat as I do on all overnight races – I realized why the crew did not like to sit next to this guy – he frigging stank – I mean stank big time. I told him he stank and to use my old spice – use a lot of it and keep it. He frigging started arguing with me telling me that using old spice was bad for your body ect…. My objection to his smell was a primitive reaction to normal BO. I took tiller away and told him sorry – use it. Later that night we noticed cabin was smelling funny. We discovered his rain washed disgusting cloths were now laying around the cabin – wife grabbed a plastic bag used inside of bag to grab his shit, we sealed it up and stored with garbage. Cabin started smelling better. When we ended race after drinks ect… we cleaned up boat and threw out garbage. Stinky comes back from party after all the work was done and wonders where his shit is. It turns out the crew decided to throw all his shit away after they saw wife actions. Everything this guy had was put in plastic and thrown away. I could not argue with logic. Guy got very upset – why was everyone picking on him???? The performance was priceless. As he was a family friend and we were in a resort area and he is of limited means, I took him to store and bought him shoes, underwear, and two outfits - shirts and shorts. Gave him some money and sent him on his way. Before he left I told him all the things he did wrong and that he sucked as a crew. He will never sail on my boat again. I then just walked away. I saw him a year or so later crewing on another boat - same guy a little better I am told – that skipper will never let him sail a long distance race on his boat either.

"For the entire season so far, .... " "... with me for several years...."

Lucky you still got any crew left: At all. Particularly the good ones. There are other, better rides to be had.

If you get bad crew, get 'em off right now! Not after "the entire season so far" and particularly not "for several years."

Work boots on my deck? Not even once! But work uniform? Who cares? An extra body for the beer can race? Who cares?

Smart ass goof-off on the foredeck? Doesn't fix it quick? Get him off.

#99 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

<br />

<br />This is why single handing looks better and better..we have all probably had some experience like you have, probably not been as patient as you've been ..I had one kid that was mouthy with me ..the word mutiny came up in the conversation..Best of luck with your remaining crew..<br />

<br /><br />The problem with single handed sailing for long stretches of time is the hallucinations... they say that they gradually become more realistic.  Pink dolphins you can teach yourself to ignore, but one famous solo long-distance sailor (sadly I forget who) told the story of hearing voices from the forepeak.  He knew that this was a hallucination, but he still couldn't resist going up there to look around, under the sail bags, etc., to make sure.  Over about a day, the voices went from being a mumble, to being clearly audible.   And the problem is, what they were saying was realistic and believable... eventually he heard one of them shout,&quot; SHUT UP, I don't care if he sees me or finds us, I&quot;M FUCKING HUNGRY and I'm going back to the galley to steal some food. &quot;<br />

A friend who did a single-handed on a T-10 heard voices and saw hands on the leeward rail calling to him, saying "come into the water". He knew it was time to drop out then.

#100 Winever

Winever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Ditto.

+1

Cheers, Win ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users