21 replies to this topic

#1 GIULIETTA1

GIULIETTA1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

So my good buddy just boat a used 40' cruising boat. We went sailing last night and the thing wants to turn left the whole time. Feels good on port, but it wants to bare away into a round down on starboard, even up wind in 20 knots!
What are the possible causes of these symptoms?
Thanks.

#2 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,221 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

So my good buddy just boat a used 40' cruising boat. We went sailing last night and the thing wants to turn left the whole time. Feels good on port, but it wants to bare away into a round down on starboard, even up wind in 20 knots!
What are the possible causes of these symptoms?
Thanks.

Take it to P/A..... :lol:

#3 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Does it have NASCAR stickers? Could be lots of bad (read expensive) things bent rudder post or rudder, bent keel...

#4 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,813 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

...other than the keel rudder possibly being mis-shaped,or mis-aligned,you might check if the mast is leaning to one side more than the other,simply take the main halyard and measure to a similar point on both gunnels
....that'd be a good start,,,,,,,,try -simple- first! ;)

#5 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

Maybe getting some people on board who know how to sail might help......

Good luck, obviously something not lined up with something else. Or, sometimes excessive balance in the rudder can do some weird things.

#6 SEMIJim

SEMIJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

So my good buddy just boat a used 40' cruising boat. We went sailing last night and the thing wants to turn left the whole time.

I think I see the problem: Your good buddy is trying to sail a car. Prolly needs a front-end alignment .

Jim

#7 SHNOOL

SHNOOL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:sailing.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Does the boat have Obama stickers on it?

Seriously though, sounds like a big problem as said, keel, rudder, mast any or all seriously out of alignment. Mast is easy to see, others, not so much.

Don't forget to check to see if you're dragging some underwater crud/logs/houses portside.

#8 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,252 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

What they said, i.e. something is bent. Is it a tiller or a wheel steered boat?

#9 soak_ed

soak_ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Get DM off of the rail.

#10 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

The boat is perfect for fleet racing, all marks are rounded to the left.

However if you're going to match race with this boat, you've got a big problem.

#11 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

I had that symptom on a boat I owned. Suddenly the boat had serious helm on one tack and neutral helm on the other. The cause ultimately was discovered to be that the rudder (painted with black baltoplate) deformed when it was hauled out and the summer sun hit one side only. We found the foil had a 1/4" deeper chord depth on one side than the other. This was a rudder that had been very carefully templated. Apparently the foam core was saturated and the increase in vapor pressure under heat bulged the foil out.

That chord depth difference caused a tremendous amount of helm. Refaired the foil and everything was fine. Since then, we always cover our rudder on haul out with white plastic. The yard does it as standard practice now.

#12 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Once sailed a J/32, which had a similar problem whenever the water tank under one of the settees was filled.

#13 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,813 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

I had that symptom on a boat I owned. Suddenly the boat had serious helm on one tack and neutral helm on the other. The cause ultimately was discovered to be that the rudder (painted with black baltoplate) deformed when it was hauled out and the summer sun hit one side only. We found the foil had a 1/4" deeper chord depth on one side than the other. This was a rudder that had been very carefully templated. Apparently the foam core was saturated and the increase in vapor pressure under heat bulged the foil out.

That chord depth difference caused a tremendous amount of helm. Refaired the foil and everything was fine. Since then, we always cover our rudder on haul out with white plastic. The yard does it as standard practice now.

.....I'll bet!! ;)

#14 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,221 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

.....I'll bet!! ;)

You should see what happens when you stand a slab door (hollow or solid core) outside, leaning against something, in the hot sun. Great way to make escape hatches for flying saucers......

#15 Kenny Dumas

Kenny Dumas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Might be able to diagnose whether it's above or below the waterline by motoring without sails up. Does it go straight when flat? Then heel it each way. Of course some boats (eg Catalina 30) have monster prop wash on the rudder. Other indicators:
How about Dead Down Wind (heeled - not heeled) under sail on each jibe, etc?

#16 Palo

Palo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Kiting, SUPing

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

My good buddy just told me about his post...so it is my boat...i want to figure out what is happening, as rounding down on starboard does not feel right.... But it does take maybe 10-15 sec to start tracking other than dead straight.....it is that it then progressively got quicker going down......say Trevor.....are you being harsh on your bro, or me?
Posted Image
I will try some motoring tests, as well as dead down when I get a chance....

#17 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

My good buddy just told me about his post...so it is my boat...i want to figure out what is happening, as rounding down on starboard does not feel right.... But it does take maybe 10-15 sec to start tracking other than dead straight.....it is that it then progressively got quicker going down......say Trevor.....are you being harsh on your bro, or me?
Posted Image

My bro AND yours.

#18 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Just a suggestion, get going about 5 knots and idle the engine to see how she goes just coasting.

#19 GIULIETTA1

GIULIETTA1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

What they said, i.e. something is bent. Is it a tiller or a wheel steered boat?

Thank you Sir.
It is a wheel boat with very little feel or friction in the system.

#20 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

Posted Image

Exactly my symptoms. See post a few up. Get going fast enough to center your prop in flat water. Hold the helm center and let it do what it wants. Once the asymmetry takes hold, the rate of turning accelerates.

#21 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

It's already been suggested to do it in neutral. That's important as you want to elongate any prop wash impact.

#22 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

It's already been suggested to do it in neutral. That's important as you want to elongate eliminate any prop wash impact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users