Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

#2 the_abandoned_brane

the_abandoned_brane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

in ohio, they randomly send out statements demanding you prove you have car insurance. if you dont send the info by the date they provide, your license is suspeneded automatically.

you have to prove youre not committing a crime or else you will be charged with that crime. its fucked up.

btw: cities have gotten around the laws of dui cjeckpoints by calling them safety inspections. therefore they no longer have to advertise where and when the checkpoint will be.

#3 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Interests:http://oversteertv.net/
    http://racewatches.com/
    http://twitter.com/RaceWatches

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

You are driving on state owned and run roads so you really have no right to complain.

Private roads are beginning to look a lot better now huh?

#4 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,753 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

You are driving on state owned and run roads so you really have no right to complain.

The required insurance is only to protect others without a financial interest in your car. It is liability insurance.

#5 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

The required insurance is only to protect others without a financial interest in your car. It is liability insurance.

In some states. In Fla P.I.P. is required as well.

Either way Insurance is Only required for cars that are licensed and registered to run on the Public Roads.

#6 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

The answer to the thread title qustion is:

NO.

Why did you post the question??
Are you a time traveler who is lost??

or

Are you posing the question to check up on Einsein's theory that all time is happeing at once??

#7 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,935 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

It's an interesting video. Apparently, the cops felt they could not legally make you show anything as they just let the guy go.

Now, if he was a Tea Party member, he probably would have politly complied. Tea Party members tend to love their govenment and obey it.

Ben

#8 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Either way Insurance is Only required for cars that are licensed and registered to run on the Public Roads.

Private countries sound even better. No license required.

#9 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,753 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Yes, I forgot about PIP. Most states with that lead the insurance fraud leagues too.

#10 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Yes, I forgot about PIP. Most states with that lead the insurance fraud leagues too.

Soooo..True. The Government peons love to call it "No Fault" Insurance.

#11 Spatial Ed

Spatial Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,473 posts
  • Interests:Subhuman Mongrels in momjeans

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

It's an interesting video. Apparently, the cops felt they could not legally make you show anything as they just let the guy go.

Now, if he was a Tea Party member, he probably would have politly complied. Tea Party members tend to love their govenment and obey it.

Ben

If the dude were any race but white, he would have gotten a first class ass whopping for being so uppity.

#12 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,293 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

I think he did a great public service by showing the proper reaction to a citizenship checkpoint: Politely decline to participate and ask to go on your way.

I can't think of any way he could have handled it better. Bravo!

#13 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,326 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

Do you Kidz know that every time I/we drive from Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas (about 1,000 miles even), I/we go thru no less than 9 Mexican military check points.....some which take less than 10 minutes to get thru, but some that take up to 45 minutes or more? Do I/we bitch about them, act rude to the guys doing their job, try to circumvent them by driving 20 miles through the Baja desert, or cause trouble and scream about our 'Civil Rights' when we get searched? No.....fucking NEVER. We smile, we wave, we talk, we bring them food stuffs and drinks and ask about their military gigs, their families, their hobbies, their home towns......and their desires in the future after serving their country. In thirty five years of driving in Baja I've/we've probably gone thru at least 500---600 of these, and don't give shit if we go thru another 600 in the upcoming years. It's just part of the experience and it helps them in nailing bad guys now and again. So for those bitching about being stopped and asked for docs or ID or papers or insurance or whatever in America....just shut the fuck up and deal with it......

#14 ease the sheet!

ease the sheet!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

those 4 mexicans in the trunk were very quiet!

#15 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

Do you Kidz know that every time I/we drive from Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas (about 1,000 miles even), I/we go thru no less than 9 Mexican military check points.....some which take less than 10 minutes to get thru, but some that take up to 45 minutes or more? Do I/we bitch about them, act rude to the guys doing their job, try to circumvent them by driving 20 miles through the Baja desert, or cause trouble and scream about our 'Civil Rights' when we get searched? No.....fucking NEVER. We smile, we wave, we talk, we bring them food stuffs and drinks and ask about their military gigs, their families, their hobbies, their home towns......and their desires in the future after serving their country. In thirty five years of driving in Baja I've/we've probably gone thru at least 500---600 of these, and don't give shit if we go thru another 600 in the upcoming years. It's just part of the experience and it helps them in nailing bad guys now and again. So for those bitching about being stopped and asked for docs or ID or papers or insurance or whatever in America....just shut the fuck up and deal with it......

What a good little nazi you are bet you have your papers on hand at all times

#16 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

I seem to remember something about totalitarianism, genocide, and a maniacal drive for world domination, but I'd see all those things happening here too, if I stopped believing the mainstream media, right?

#17 svpahto

svpahto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, fishing, diving

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

I am surprised to be saying this but +1 Gator.

#18 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,326 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

So you think it would be wise to just tell the Captain of a Mexican military check point to go pound f'ng sand, if he asked you for ID, or to search your vehicle, or asked for your visa, or wanted to know that the minor kids in your car are actually yours (or you have permission to bring them into Mexico), or if he wanted to send the dogs around to sniff your vehicle for drugs or guns, or to spray your truck with insecticide to keep crop-eating bugs out of BCS, or if you have legit Mexican auto insurance, or if you have the proper temp import permit and pink slip for your vehicle, trailer or boat? Really? Does this shit bother you so much that you'd start crying and call the Mexican version of the ACLU to file a lawsuit against the Mexican government 'cuz your little pussy feelings got hurt and you were put out for a few minutes?......

#19 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,753 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

So you think it would be wise to just tell the Captain of a Mexican military check point to go pound f'ng sand, if he asked you for ID, or to search your vehicle, or asked for your visa, or wanted to know that the minor kids in your car are actually yours (or you have permission to bring them into Mexico), or if he wanted to send the dogs around to sniff your vehicle for drugs or guns, or to spray your truck with insecticide to keep crop-eating bugs out of BCS, or if you have legit Mexican auto insurance, or if you have the proper temp import permit and pink slip for your vehicle, trailer or boat? Really? Does this shit bother you so much that you'd start crying and call the Mexican version of the ACLU to file a lawsuit against the Mexican government 'cuz your little pussy feelings got hurt and you were put out for a few minutes?......

You need a GPS dude. From what I hear from the left here, you never even got out of Arizona.

#20 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:37 AM

While I dislike the idea of random checks for whatever they decide to call it in any given State, or town I am certainly glad that this is the US. In Austria, the attitude portrayed in that video would have been greeted with a trip to the pokey. And that is Austria, I can't imagine what would happen in Iran, or Russia. In Syria apparently they would just shoot your ass.

The kid demonstrated just how good we have it here. Yeah, the cops do push the limits of what we consider our freedoms. That sucks, but again, we have it a lot better than most other countries I have visited.

I was stopped for running a stop sign in the middle of an empty parking lot in Austria. It was the middle of Feb and cold as shit. I left the engine running while waiting for the cop. He went nuts screaming for me to shut the motor off (in German). I did, handed him all of my papers, visa, DL, passport, and the papers for the car. He decided I was drunk. He took me twenty miles to get a breathalyzer, which was a complete 0.000 . Then he was okay with just letting me walk out, with no way to get back to my car. Do you think for a minute that I would have treated him like the kid in the video?

#21 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

huh?

Why does access and use of public property force me to consent to potentially unconstitutional activity?

You have it backwards., if the road were private the owner of the road could potentially subject me to all kinds of processes that wouldn't be allowed in the public regime.

#22 the_abandoned_brane

the_abandoned_brane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

I was stripped searched tonight without cause. I was walking on a government owned and run sidewalk though. so I guess it was ok.

#23 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

I think he did a great public service by showing the proper reaction to a citizenship checkpoint: Politely decline to participate and ask to go on your way.

Anyone know what state that was?

It tells me that the rules are working as advertised (like SB1070). Cops can ask, citizens can politely decline and they go on their way. If a cop has a reasonable doubt or PC to suspect the guy is lying - then he can detain and investigate per Terry vs Ohio.

#24 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

Rick, there's a BIG diff between laws in Mexico and laws in the US. I don't need papers to ID myself just walking down the street or driving (other than a DL). Now if I go into a voting booth, that's a different story.

#25 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,326 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:45 AM

Well Jeff, just vote Democrat, and vote often.... :P

#26 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,138 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:51 AM

Just as a nudge back towards reality: The cop didn't ask for papers, and let the asshole who called him a Nazi get away with it.

#27 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

The answer to the thread title qustion is:

NO.

Why did you post the question??
Are you a time traveler who is lost??

or

Are you posing the question to check up on Einsein's theory that all time is happeing at once??

No, I was quoting the patriot.

#28 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

The Mexican government does this, so it must be OK?

They are not the example I want to follow on anything. I bet those guys would give you a really hard time if you had even one round of .22 ammo and they saw it. That would not be appropriate here either. Not much about their government would be appropriate here.

#29 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,935 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

So our error here is not considering Mexico as the standard for US law enforcement.

#30 Spatial Ed

Spatial Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,473 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Kinda wonder why Rick moved to Florida when it seems his heart yearns for the militaristic police state of Mexico.

#31 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,935 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Anyone know what state that was?

It tells me that the rules are working as advertised (like SB1070). Cops can ask, citizens can politely decline and they go on their way. If a cop has a reasonable doubt or PC to suspect the guy is lying - then he can detain and investigate per Terry vs Ohio.

In the comments for the video, I saw a post claming it to be in CA.

#32 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

He was "detained" in line several times that day, he said.

I kind of wish he had obeyed one of them when they directed him to pull off to the side. What kind of additional fun questions did they have in mind for the troublemaker? <_<

We simply can't figure out where the non-citizens (millions of them) might be, so let's check every car in this area and ask the people whether they are citizens.

This really doesn't strike me as a good plan. Even less useful than the current airport security charade.

#33 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

No, I was quoting the patriot.

Brady??

Posted Image

#34 tq2000

tq2000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Interests:boats and bourbon

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

It appears that the guy in the video is a batshit crazy attention whore of the first order, so I would question the context and content of anything he posts.

#35 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts
  • Interests:Garnacha. Gunk-holing.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Notice how the cop in the first check point in the video asks about his citizenship status. Be careful, right wingers, what you ask for. You may get it.

And Booth, seriously, just because you are cheerfully willing to give up lots of your constitutional rights (but never guns, of course), doesn't mean the rest of us should.

#36 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,326 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Notice how the cop in the first check point in the video asks about his citizenship status. Be careful, right wingers, what you ask for. You may get it.

And Booth, seriously, just because you are cheerfully willing to give up lots of your constitutional rights (but never guns, of course), doesn't mean the rest of us should.

I was just relating that in a foreign country that I've spent many years in......I don't mind what the hell they do. Unlike so many f'ng people who come over here on a Monday morning, and by Thursday afternoon they're having an ACLU attorney filing some g-damn lame assed lawsuit about how they got their feelings hurt by some one or some thing....

#37 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

There's a big difference between 'asking' and 'requiring'. I think a cop isn't worth his weight in Dunkin Donuts if he's not pushing the boundries of what he can ask? Where the rubber meets the road though is in how far he takes it. If he asks and you decline, then he'd better have some damn good PC before he detains you and requires you to provide ID (Terry vs Ohio).

OTOH, if we just had DL's that were tied to citizenship - i.e. if showed your citizenship status right on the DL - a lot of these issues would go away. You could use it to drive and you could ue it to vote. A cop is well within his right to ask for a DL if you are driving on public roads. It would save him the question of if you were a citizen. It doesn't mean the DL would ONLY be issued to citizens though.... lots of non-citizens have a legit right to a DL. However, if you don't have a visa or proof of citizenship - no DL for you.

My FAA Commercial Pilot's license has nationality on it - I don't see why that would be a bad thing for a DL.

#38 wabbiteer

wabbiteer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,351 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

There's a big difference between 'asking' and 'requiring'. I think a cop isn't worth his weight in Dunkin Donuts if he's not pushing the boundries of what he can ask? Where the rubber meets the road though is in how far he takes it. If he asks and you decline, then he'd better have some damn good PC before he detains you and requires you to provide ID (Terry vs Ohio).

It's pretty mean to call someone a Nazi.

You don't think that he should have arrested the guy for being an asshole?

#39 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

OTOH, if we just had DL's that were tied to citizenship - i.e. if showed your citizenship status right on the DL - a lot of these issues would go away. You could use it to drive and you could ue it to vote. A cop is well within his right to ask for a DL if you are driving on public roads. It would save him the question of if you were a citizen. It doesn't mean the DL would ONLY be issued to citizens though.... lots of non-citizens have a legit right to a DL. However, if you don't have a visa or proof of citizenship - no DL for you.

My FAA Commercial Pilot's license has nationality on it - I don't see why that would be a bad thing for a DL.

A police officer has the authority to ask you for your driver's license. A customs / border patrol agent? I'm not so sure.

#40 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

A police officer has the authority to ask you for your driver's license. A customs / border patrol agent? I'm not so sure.

An exemption for Border patrol agents?? I don't think so.

So far as I am aware, there is no exemption for Border patrol agents, in Texas, all individuals, even border patrol agents, must identify themselves when asked for identification by an officer of the law.

#41 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

So far as I am aware, there is no exemption for Border patrol agents, in Texas, all individuals, even border patrol agents, must identify themselves when asked for identification by an officer of the law.

I don't think you quite got what I was referring to there, so let me try to clarify. I was doubtful whether a Border Patrol agent can ask for your driver's license. I honestly do not know. As far as I know, one is required to provide any law enforcement officer with your name, beyond that, it varies.

#42 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,138 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

I don't think you quite got what I was referring to there, so let me try to clarify. I was doubtful whether a Border Patrol agent can ask for your driver's license. I honestly do not know. As far as I know, one is required to provide any law enforcement officer with your name, beyond that, it varies.

Technically, he has to have a reason to ask you for it.

#43 mr_fabulous

mr_fabulous

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

In my experience Border Control establishes citizenship prior to admitting entry to the US, and this is their perogative. In some instances (at least ages ago) this can be in the form of a direct question (which you should answer, unless you want a few hours of your life to disappear as you go into their confrerence room) and a proof with a license or passport, as requested. Used to be when we drove to Canada, you did not need need a passport, but I think that has changed...dunno.

#44 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

In my experience Border Control establishes citizenship prior to admitting entry to the US, and this is their perogative. In some instances (at least ages ago) this can be in the form of a direct question (which you should answer, unless you want a few hours of your life to disappear as you go into their confrerence room) and a proof with a license or passport, as requested. Used to be when we drove to Canada, you did not need need a passport, but I think that has changed...dunno.

I'm not talking about at the border. I'm referring to what is relevant to this thread : CBP 'checkpoints' which they seem to be able get away with setting up in Cali. That shit wouldn't fly in the great state of Michigan, and we've got 721 miles of border with Canada.

At the border is a different story and CBP has all manner of authority there. Very familiar with that.

#45 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

We have millions of people here who are not legally supposed to be here. They're all over the place. This is not the way to find them. It's window dressing and not even pretty.

#46 wabbiteer

wabbiteer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,351 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why the cop didn't arrest this guy. Wasn't he enough of an asshole?

What happened to all the people around here who thought that when a cop asks you a question, you need to answer it, or you are looking for trouble?

#47 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,138 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why the cop didn't arrest this guy. Wasn't he enough of an asshole?

What happened to all the people around here who thought that when a cop asks you a question, you need to answer it, or you are looking for trouble?

If all your shit be spotless and neatly squared away, you stand a fair shot at suffering no ill consequences. Cops expect to meet & great at least one raging asshole daily. Having to talk to about 100 people an hour like those guys? Ten an hour.

#48 Spatial Ed

Spatial Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,473 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

Your FAA pilot's license has no picture or even fingerprint on it. Gaytor could steal if from you after he seduced you in a meth fueled gay love episode and use it for identification.
That is why your FAA pilots license is no form of ID.

#49 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

in ohio, they randomly send out statements demanding you prove you have car insurance. if you dont send the info by the date they provide, your license is suspeneded automatically.

That's fucked up... What a complete waste of postage and time. In my state, you show that you have insurance; you get a license plate, and you bolt it to your car. If you don't pay your premium, or you cancel your policy, the insurance company notifies the state and the registration is suspended. That's the kind of thing that computers tend to be pretty good at; it's surprising that Ohio is trying to do it with an exchange of postal mail.

And how is it they suspend your license for not having insurance? What if you don't have a car?

#50 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

Perhaps you missed the part of the discussion where it was brought up that we were talking about the USA and not Mexico? Most people with any sophistication whatsoever are going to realize that ones legal and practical rights vary from one country to another, and adjust their expectations and behavior accordingly. Police in France can stop you and ask you to produce ID; police in the USA cannot. Therefore, I'm not gonna refuse if a French cop asks for papers, because the law allows him to do so and requires me to comply; but I am gonna refuse if a US cop asks for them, because here, the rules are different.

#51 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

It appears that the guy in the video is a batshit crazy attention whore of the first order, so I would question the context and content of anything he posts.

It appears to me that the guy in the video is calmly and, aside from the gratuitous Nazi comments, reasonably, refusing to comply with unlawful requests made by rogue law-enforcement officials, but then again, what do I know. I think posting it to the Internet is a valuable reminder to others; rights are like anything else in that if they aren't regularly exercised by large numbers of people, they atrophy.

In other words, yeah, the guy who complained and complained and complained about a nickel overcharge on his phone bill was sort of a pain in the ass with a lot of time on his hands, and probably not very good dinner company, but by the time his case made it through the courts and the phone company had to refund tens of millions of dollars in overcharges (this was back when tens of million dollars was real money); it was clear he had done right for all of us.

#52 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

"Identify yourself" means state truthfully your name and address. It does not mean produce a document. There was a SC case about this, although I forget the cite.

#53 tq2000

tq2000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

It appears to me that the guy in the video is calmly and, aside from the gratuitous Nazi comments, reasonably, refusing to comply with unlawful requests made by rogue law-enforcement officials, but then again, what do I know. I think posting it to the Internet is a valuable reminder to others; rights are like anything else in that if they aren't regularly exercised by large numbers of people, they atrophy.

In other words, yeah, the guy who complained and complained and complained about a nickel overcharge on his phone bill was sort of a pain in the ass with a lot of time on his hands, and probably not very good dinner company, but by the time his case made it through the courts and the phone company had to refund tens of millions of dollars in overcharges (this was back when tens of million dollars was real money); it was clear he had done right for all of us.

This is the guy who posted the video:

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/gospel-hate-arizona-pastor-steve-and

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/31/phoenix-pastor-draws-protests-telling-church-prays-obamas-death/

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/04/17/20090417borderbeating0417-ON.html

So let's see, he prays for the death of gays and the president, and also drives around looking for trouble with cops and border patrol agents. If I saw him, I would kick his ass. He deserves it. I don't like the laws they are pushing in AZ and AL and have said so a number of times, but we have no idea where this actually occurred, what the context was, and whether the cops or border patrol had a reason for setting up the checkpoint. I will save my outrage for when someone with some credibility runs into trouble.

#54 Spatial Ed

Spatial Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,473 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/31/phoenix-pastor-draws-protests-telling-church-prays-obamas-death/

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/04/17/20090417borderbeating0417-ON.html

So let's see, he prays for the death of gays and the president, and also drives around looking for trouble with cops and border patrol agents. If I saw him, I would kick his ass. He deserves it. I don't like the laws they are pushing in AZ and AL and have said so a number of times, but we have no idea where this actually occurred, what the context was, and whether the cops or border patrol had a reason for setting up the checkpoint. I will save my outrage for when someone with some credibility runs into trouble.

Jesus, I never thought the dude was a Teabagger. Shit, that changes my mind completely. Rick, you still wanna slam a fellow tea bagger like that?

#55 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,138 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

That last article says the cops beat him up. Wonder if they talking about the same incident we are talking about. In this thread's Youtube it looked like they let him go.

EDIT: Just noticed the date on that 2009 article. Looks like that had to be a separate incident.

"What we have he-ah....is a FAILURE to communicate"?

#56 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Your FAA pilot's license has no picture or even fingerprint on it. Gaytor could steal if from you after he seduced you in a meth fueled gay love episode and use it for identification.
That is why your FAA pilots license is no form of ID.

You miss the point..... I was simply saying that its not out of the question to have "nationality" on the ID. You could very easily have a nationality block on a picture ID card like a DL.

#57 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

http://crooksandliar...astor-steve-and

http://www.foxnews.c...s-obamas-death/

http://www.azcentral...ing0417-ON.html

Okay, given that, I'll buy the "attention whore" argument.

#58 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

Bad messenger?

Well OK then. That makes his message bad. :rolleyes:

#59 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Bad messenger?

Yeah, and besides - I thought the teaparty wanted cops to ask people if they were citizens???

#60 tq2000

tq2000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Bad messenger?

It does not make the message bad, it makes the video suspect and the claims he is making, directly and indirectly, suspect as well. I am not treating a claim by Jeffrey Dahmer that he found a finger in his chicken nuggets the same as one from Oprah or Larry the Cable Guy.

#61 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,138 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Bad messenger?

The guy is a case study in how weird the marriage of religious fundamentalists and libertarians can be, which is interesting in itself. It appears the attempt for him to embrace both at the same time is driving him a little batty. Or maybe one has to be a little batty to try.

I don't think anybody has said that his "message" is bad.

#62 wabbiteer

wabbiteer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,351 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Bad messenger?

It does not make the message bad, it makes the video suspect and the claims he is making, directly and indirectly, suspect as well. I am not treating a claim by Jeffrey Dahmer that he found a finger in his chicken nuggets the same as one from Oprah or Larry the Cable Guy.

No question that the guy is a loon.

But the Border Patrol is indeed operating these "checkpoints" inside the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Border_Patrol_Interior_Checkpoints

#63 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Bad messenger?

Yeah, and besides - I thought the teaparty wanted cops to ask people if they were citizens???

I see a difference between what is appropriate in a traffic stop and setting up checkpoints just to ask that question. I don't have a problem with the question in the context of a traffic stop, but don't like the checkpoints.

That was how I interpreted Eisenhowler's apparent change of attitude.

I got enough context from the video to learn that this was a checkpoint within the US, not at the border, and that their first question to drivers was, "Are you a citizen."

That's enough for me. I don't like it, even if they do it to bad messengers.

It seems all the good messengers are quiet about this.

#64 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Bad messenger?

I see a difference between what is appropriate in a traffic stop and setting up checkpoints just to ask that question. I don't have a problem with the question in the context of a traffic stop, but don't like the checkpoints.

See.... this board REALLY needs a sarcasm button. I was simply making fun of the people who were giving the teaparty shit when in their minds it would be the TP who would embrace these checkpoints the most.

#65 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,138 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Bad messenger?

I got enough context from the video to learn that this was a checkpoint within the US, not at the border, and that their first question to drivers was, "Are you a citizen."

The 2009 incident sure shows that point too. They got a dog to alert on his car, and it doesn't appear there was any drugs in it. Been a lot of stuff recently about how the dogs are sometimes alerting to things falsely. Some of them can evidently sense when their handlers want them to alert to something.

Lot of decent people could wind up in a lot of undeserved trouble.

#66 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

The 2009 incident sure shows that point too. They got a dog to alert on his car, and it doesn't appear there was any drugs in it. Been a lot of stuff recently about how the dogs are sometimes alerting to things falsely. Some of them can evidently sense when their handlers want them to alert to something.

That's not really a recent development. Canine "probable cause" is old hat in the drug war, just got dragged over to the immigration war.

My dogs know when I'm thinking of heading for a hose. I don't know how. I've tried to avoid giving any sign, but they know. Running hoses make them nuts.

They know exactly what their handlers want them to do, and in situations like the one described, the dog doesn't even have to do anything. The subject wanted the dog to come back and do it again, whatever "it" was. Good luck. One day in court, it will come out that the dog was there and his handler will say the dog gave him the sign. The cops don't need that twice when they "have" it once.

#67 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,138 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

That's not really a recent development. Canine "probable cause" is old hat in the drug war, just got dragged over to the immigration war.

My dogs know when I'm thinking of heading for a hose. I don't know how. I've tried to avoid giving any sign, but they know. Running hoses make them nuts.

They know exactly what their handlers want them to do, and in situations like the one described, the dog doesn't even have to do anything. The subject wanted the dog to come back and do it again, whatever "it" was. Good luck. One day in court, it will come out that the dog was there and his handler will say the dog gave him the sign. The cops don't need that twice when they "have" it once.

Our dogs somehow know when we are getting ready to leave whether or not they are coming too. How they know is a complete mystery to us.

#68 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

Bad messenger?

No change of attitude here about the fundamental message: rights need to be exercised, vigorously, and often. That the guy is an attention whore and a loon does not take away from the value of what he's doing.

There's a guy in Mass. who's got a bee up his ass about government transparency. He's constantly hounding elected and appointed bodies to release the transcripts of their hearings, and he's constantly exhorting others to demand the same. Only problem is, he obviously has some autism spectrum disorder, has no interpersonal skills whatsoever, and just hijacks the conversation whenever one of his pet topics comes up. For example, if someone posts: "They're showing Charlie Chaplin's 'Modern Times' at the library tonight," he'll respond with an awkwardly worded post about how the library board is insufficiently transparent. But, at the end of the day, he's right about the transparency issue... and if more people did what he's doing, the world would be a better place.

#69 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

That's a well-known effect among animal trainers and psychologists; it's called the "Clever Hans" effect, named after a horse who could do arithmetic problems, but, oddly, only those arithmetic problems that his handler knew how to do. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Clever_Hans

#70 ease the sheet!

ease the sheet!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Bad messenger?

not bad, just disingenuous.

only a dick with some sort of superiority complex would record this exchange. i notice that he was not even polite enough to let the cop know he was recording.

#71 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Bad messenger?

not bad, just disingenuous.

only a dick with some sort of superiority complex would record this exchange. i notice that he was not even polite enough to let the cop know he was recording.

Was it impolite to not inform the cops beating Rodney King that they were being taped?

I like people who tape the cops and don't trust any cop who will not tolerate it. If they're out in public doing their duty and I'm out in public with my camera, I might just point it in their direction. Too bad.

The messenger is not on my heroes list, but recording what our government officials are doing and spreading it around if you disagree is the act of an involved citizen and is commendable, even if the rest of his life may not be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users