32 replies to this topic

#1 jim lee

jim lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

We've been using plastic red winch handles on the Darts. The loads are light so we don't need fancy massive ones, but the ones we use get stuck in the winches and are just a pain to use. I'm done with them.

Here's the question : If you bought a new boat and it came with winch handles, what type of handle would you like to see it come with?

Thanks!

-jim lee

#2 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have the DAX OneTouch and they're pretty good but we did break one; the handle is plastic. The newish Holmatro Extremes have aluminum handles and and are one touch. Otherwise, I've learned that there is no perfect winch size. I bring my own when I crew.

#3 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Lewmar One Touch. Been using them since last year, and never going back, they're great.

www.teamswashbuckler.com

#4 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Only Lewmar will give the right impression... :P

#5 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

RAMWEL?

#6 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

Generally we use whatever winch handle is on our boat, unless we cannot find one in which case we use whatever winch handle is on the closest unlocked boat.

#7 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,943 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

No idea on price or availability but I really like the holmatro winch handles, more than the Lewmar one touch which is a close second.

No idea on price or availability but I really like the holmatro winch handles, more than the Lewmar one touch which is a close second.

#8 coyotepup

coyotepup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Lewmar One Touch. Been using them since last year, and never going back, they're great.

+1. With the power grip. (Yellow knob on top.) The squeezy button is a hundred times better than ones with thumb-operated levers at the end. Much faster. Your pit guy will appreciate it.

#9 Bad_Moose

Bad_Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Sailing!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

The harken ones with the big bobble thing on top. They seem to work pretty well, I like using them.

We managed to snap (I shit you not, clean in half) one of those holmatro ones last year so I wouldn't recommend them.

#10 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

+1. With the power grip. (Yellow knob on top.) The squeezy button is a hundred times better than ones with thumb-operated levers at the end. Much faster. Your pit guy will appreciate it.

+2 Used and sold these for two years and never had a failure. In that time I think I had probably 30% failure rate in the Harken handles especially in the locking mechanism.

#11 End4end

End4end

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:sailing, getting pissed and getting laid in no particular order.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Depends on what you want to use them for.

Racing, I would only use Lewmar One Touch but for apres sail I am told some ladies favour the ones without the knob or T top on the handle for reasons of.... comfort.

#12 SEMIJim

SEMIJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

+2 Used and sold these for two years and never had a failure. In that time I think I had probably 30% failure rate in the Harken handles especially in the locking mechanism.

+3 Got a pair of 'em on Abracadabra. You just grab and squeeze the winch handle anywhere on its shank to insert or remove. Terrific.

Jim

#13 Irish River

Irish River

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:sailing, skiing

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

Money no object, DAX one-touch are great.

#14 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

in the pit on boats under 50 feet the Lewmar onetouch handles with the knob are my preference as well as for non-overlapping jibs below 50. For trimming overlappers and grinding kites the double handle ones are superior and also on anything over 50 that isn't pedestal driven.

#15 Bucket

Bucket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:03 AM

We have the Holmatro handles, preferred over the Lewmars because the knob rotates independently of the handle. I've never seen one of the Dax handles.

#16 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

We've been using plastic red winch handles on the Darts. The loads are light so we don't need fancy massive ones, but the ones we use get stuck in the winches and are just a pain to use. I'm done with them.

Here's the question : If you bought a new boat and it came with winch handles, what type of handle would you like to see it come with?

Thanks!

-jim lee

you might need to dress the cam with a file, try not to take too much off as this part wears down over time
also make sure the part of the winch that the handle goes in is clean, they get gunked up over time causing more problems

#17 coyotepup

coyotepup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

We have the Holmatro handles, preferred over the Lewmars because the knob rotates independently of the handle. I've never seen one of the Dax handles.

That is also the case with the yellow-knob Lewmar.

#18 Blownout

Blownout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:beating you

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

i switched to the new sheafer carbon fiber handles this year. they are nearly weightless. we use the 8 inch handle and i removed the lock so i do not have to futz with it.

#19 fidd

fidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

www.teamswashbuckler.com

+1

#20 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

DAX One Touch are an excellent option. In fact, a good friend decided to use them on his boat over anything made of aluminum just in case they drop it on the cockpit there is a smaller chance to chip the gel coat out. Small detail, but important if you like to keep your boat looking good.

These guys used them and guess they were happy with them:

#21 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I use them on my boat. Great handles. Very easy to get on and off the winch which was a big thing in my decision process.

#22 Pokey uh da LBC

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

What size are the DAX handles? I like that they've done away with the square plate in favor of the retracting pins.

#23 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:01 AM

What size are the DAX handles? I like that they've done away with the square plate in favor of the retracting pins.

All DAX handles are 9.5" between centers.

#24 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

Lewmar One Touch. Used to use the plastic Titan ones but they (double handled ones) bend a little too much. Lewmar are nice and strong and you can put everything into grinding.

#25 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

the Musto one spot XR5 has been a standard for us so far this season

#26 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

An older woman who crewed for me liked a long (for mechanical advantage) plastic (for light weight) winch handle. She wasn't strong enough to break it. Not sure I am either. Optimum choice depends on crew.

#27 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Why is everyone talking about locking handles. I've used standard handles for years and have never lost one out of the winch. The greatest chance to lose one over the side is when moving putting it in or taking it out of the winch, especially if there is a lock involved.

#28 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

Why is everyone talking about locking handles. I've used standard handles for years and have never lost one out of the winch. The greatest chance to lose one over the side is when moving putting it in or taking it out of the winch, especially if there is a lock involved.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen an untended line fly through a cockpit and catch on a winch handle. The last thing you want happening when something is going wrong is a wayward line catching a winch handle, turning it into a flying missile going through the cockpit and taking someone out.

#29 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

We own a Farr 39 and we are switching all our winch handles for the Lewmar One Touch

Posted Image

8" vs 10": Go with 8" if you are trying to gain speed and 10" for more power.

Locking vs. Non-Locking: If possible go with locking ones. As long as you stay with Harken, Lewmar, Antal, Dax or Andersen aluminum or stainless handles you will be fine.

Power Grip vs. Handle: For racing we recommend the Power Grip (knob) handles. For cruising the standard handles work fine.

All Winch Handles (well not all but almost)

Best,

Juan

#30 capt araldite

capt araldite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

I have the DAX OneTouch and they're pretty good but we did break one; the handle is plastic. The newish Holmatro Extremes have aluminum handles and and are one touch. Otherwise, I've learned that there is no perfect winch size. I bring my own when I crew.

I like the DAX handles as well, although we also broke one a while back. When we sent over a photo of the air bubbles in the moulding I have to say APS were excellent and replaced it under warrenty straight away. I will be buying a couple more when I am over in the US again in September.

#31 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

I am told that the owner of Dax invited the one touch system and has licensed it to Lewmar. I have used the Lewmars and the Dax, and find the functionality to be the same, with the Dax slightly lighter. No issues with breakage, although the orance cap on top of the handle can pop off so you might want to preemptively seal in it with 5200.

I also have a couple of Antal handles. They are not one touch, but the grip material is great.

#32 The Owner

The Owner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

We started with the Dax. Then used the Lewmar one touch 8 inch and now we have the Holmatros. Like the Holmatros the best. The Lewmar points on the locking mechanism seemed to be fickle and we have Lewmar winches, only a few years old and regularly serviced. Not sure the Holmatros are still available?

#33 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

I have to agree with this. Only time a handle has ended up in the drink is from human error. That's been on my boat and any other boats I've been on. However, the Holmatro handle I was molesting at the boat show were easier to release than the lewmar one touch I've used. That being said, my boat is 25 feet, and I can replace the plastic red ones that we're using now, for $45 ea. Hard to beat that, and you won't break them on my boat. They also float, so if you lose one in the pre-start, no biggie, just pick it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users