14 replies to this topic

#1 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Could someone please most details and pics of the mini's articulating bowsprit systems. I am building an i550 and I want to simulate the mini system in my above-deck articulating pole. I have looked at Leo's wonderful site and googled like crazy, but I havent been able to find the detail I need.

I intended to have the pole articulate around the forestay attachment point with a bobstay spliced through the stem to allow the pivot points to be inline, but I am looking for more pics, info, diagrams of the actual attachment/hinge/inboard end.

Don't jump down my virtual throat if I am getting the terminology wrong, I am figuring this out as I go.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

#2 ColinG

ColinG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

Could someone please most details and pics of the mini's articulating bowsprit systems. I am building an i550 and I want to simulate the mini system in my above-deck articulating pole. I have looked at Leo's wonderful site and googled like crazy, but I havent been able to find the detail I need.

I intended to have the pole articulate around the forestay attachment point with a bobstay spliced through the stem to allow the pivot points to be inline, but I am looking for more pics, info, diagrams of the actual attachment/hinge/inboard end.

Don't jump down my virtual throat if I am getting the terminology wrong, I am figuring this out as I go.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

found this a while back - cant remember where. Might help. Attached File  bowsprit.doc   422.5K   586 downloads

#3 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thats the Zero solution, a very neat and expensive compared to others,...
other solution is a ss bus around your stanchion, put a ss plate on the bottom, and weld a ring above the bus. Now its fixed top and anti scratch down.
on the bus, you can weld some lips where you can put the sprit on. (bolt through) For the rotating part, just make something out of small tube that encircles the stanchion and fix it to the bowsprit. In short this is the Pogo solution, the cheapest. its looks small and not strong, but its a proven concept.

#4 Open Sailing

Open Sailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Contact me at jerome at opensailingusa dot com

We are the builder of the Pogo 2 in the USA.

We will be happy to help you out. I personally just sailed over 2000nm from california to hawaii. The bowsprit worked great until 80nm from the finish when the windward guy broke off (the line was about 5000nm old :-( ).

Cheers

Jerome
Open Sailing
Www.opensailingusa.com

#5 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thanks guys. I have started trying to figure how to build the saddle and arm like ColinG posted.

Leo- I am not sure I follow your description and I don't know what a bus is. Sorry, I am learning!

Jerome- congrats and the singlehanded Transpac! I just shot you an email. Thanks.

#6 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Bus, just a tube, sorry :)

#7 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

Thanks guys. I have started trying to figure how to build the saddle and arm like ColinG posted.

Leo- I am not sure I follow your description and I don't know what a bus is. Sorry, I am learning!

Jerome- congrats and the singlehanded Transpac! I just shot you an email. Thanks.

Well if you notice - that's a custom stanchion (its got a lip to hold down the rotating plate as well as an articulating piece.

#8 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Well if you notice - that's a custom stanchion (its got a lip to hold down the rotating plate as well as an articulating piece.

Got it. Thanks. I will not have a stanchion, but will have a 6" eyebolt with a shoulder that will be the forestay attachment and on which the arm and saddle (is there better terminology?) will pivot.

#9 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Ah, that will ask for some ingenuity. Just brainstorming, no insurance it works. Get a strong eyebolt, place it not transverse but longitudinal. Use the forward part to make something rotating. Could be a bit light though. How big is the big spi on a I550 ?

tried a google, and found this on this forum
http://forums.sailin...howtopic=119319

click on that magnen foto, post 7, and with the text before you will understand how it works. Make something similar without the stanchions :)

#10 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

Ah, that will ask for some ingenuity. Just brainstorming, no insurance it works. Get a strong eyebolt, place it not transverse but longitudinal. Use the forward part to make something rotating. Could be a bit light though. How big is the big spi on a I550 ?

tried a google, and found this on this forum
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=119319

click on that magnen foto, post 7, and with the text before you will understand how it works. Make something similar without the stanchions :)

Thanks Leo. Here is what I am thinking, one like the arm in the picture of this i550 (not mine). It will have a bobstay and I dont think mine will stick out that far forward.
Attached File  i550.jpg   59.52K   180 downloads
Attached File  i550b.jpg   55.01K   179 downloads

I have a 1/2" SS eyebolt with should which will go through a 1/2"+ (ID) Delrin tube that will be mounted in the arm. The eyebolt will be mounted into a threaded tube and nuts which will be permanently mounted to the stem and wrapped in carbon.

This method of mounting to the stem has been used on other i550s and it seems to work fine.

The carbon pole is an old windsurfer mast and is only about 5' long. It will be mounted the the saddle with a transverse bolt in a G10 tube.

The spinnaker size is not limited, some are running some used Melges 20 kites. Those are about 40m2 (430 ft2).

I will post some pics when I can.

Thoughts?

#11 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Forget the mini solution, as you do not have stanchions. the mini use a rope shock-cord system to the top of the stanchion to keep it up without sails.
Due to 240 cm or even longer poles they really need that. Will be difficult build a rotating one without the up lift. Because if you want to rotate you want to go to 90 degrees.

see a photo of Jerome Open Sailing:
http://htmlimg2.scri...-2fc7b72535.jpg

If you want to rotate it a bit less, Imagen your bowsprit extended on deck, fix it on a very tiny traveller (with radius of course). Use a ring on your stem.

ps, this gravity thing of the sprit wanting to go down, on the Zero part is was setup so that if the topping lift broke, it got jammed and only pointed a little bit down. On the Pogo system it can fall in the water. not that that was a big problem for most serious sailors.

#12 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

see a photo of Jerome Open Sailing:
http://htmlimg2.scribdassets.com/xm51ykk00v5pnm/images/10-2fc7b72535.jpg

If you want to rotate it a bit less, Imagen your bowsprit extended on deck, fix it on a very tiny traveller (with radius of course). Use a ring on your stem.

ps, this gravity thing of the sprit wanting to go down, on the Zero part is was setup so that if the topping lift broke, it got jammed and only pointed a little bit down. On the Pogo system it can fall in the water. not that that was a big problem for most serious sailors.

Leo:

That was what was initially looking to do, but the arm and saddle I posted above seem an easier solution for me to build than what Jerome has.

#13 BaikalPeter

BaikalPeter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:fast sailing

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Guys, doesn't i550 miss railing around which to erect this structure?

Here is TTB's solution: http://www.boat-kits...550/poletwo.JPG
Sorry, no bigger pic...

#14 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

Contact me at jerome at opensailingusa dot com

We are the builder of the Pogo 2 in the USA.

We will be happy to help you out. I personally just sailed over 2000nm from california to hawaii. The bowsprit worked great until 80nm from the finish when the windward guy broke off (the line was about 5000nm old :-( ).

Cheers

Jerome
Open Sailing
Www.opensailingusa.com

kudos to you well done.

#15 wkent

wkent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:SAiLiNg

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

take a look at this from the Argo 650 website. If you save the photos you can zoom in to get a better look
http://www.argo650.c...cias&noticia=50

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users