the truth.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:David Bowie

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

ALEX STARTS RECORD ATTEMPT!

At 19.09GMT last night, Alex set sail alone from New York to attempt to break the West to East, Ambrose Lighthouse to Lizard Point single-handed record attempt. The record for the 2,880 mile course currently sits at 10 days, 55 minutes and 19 seconds, and has been held by Bernhard Stamm since 2002.

Speaking before he left last night Alex said "The weather forecast for the short term means that I should be able to sail the first part of the crossing within the record. But once I approach Ireland for the second half, the conditions look less ideal - it's going to be a push!"

Breaking the record would also mean Alex could be back in time for the Olympic Games opening ceremony in support of our Chairman and close friend of Alex - Sir Keith Mills.

In the first 12 hours Alex had covered 218.68NM -

10 year old record fingers crossed for him eh?

#2 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Wow. Sure he will come 2nd, 3rd or worse, if he finishes. Yawn

At 19.09GMT last night, Alex set sail alone from New York to attempt to break the West to East, Ambrose Lighthouse to Lizard Point single-handed record attempt. The record for the 2,880 mile course currently sits at 10 days, 55 minutes and 19 seconds, and has been held by Bernhard Stamm since 2002.

Speaking before he left last night Alex said "The weather forecast for the short term means that I should be able to sail the first part of the crossing within the record. But once I approach Ireland for the second half, the conditions look less ideal - it's going to be a push!"

Breaking the record would also mean Alex could be back in time for the Olympic Games opening ceremony in support of our Chairman and close friend of Alex - Sir Keith Mills.

#3 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Snigger ;)

#4 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

*golf clap*

Well played sir!

#5 the truth.

the truth.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

[quote name='thetruth' timestamp='1342684824' post='3791809']

Looks like Grahams dole check has arrived and he's paid the ISP

#6 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, architecture, Texas Forever

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Saw Hugo Boss down in North Cove last weekend. Pretty cool to see up close, even with it being docked next to the 160' sailing yacht Zefira.

#7 the truth.

the truth.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

Here is an update from Alex as he struggles with broken pilot and lack of sleep 1500 miles into record attempt:
“All is good on board, still managing to stay ahead of the front, wind very gusty from 20 – 30 knots. Boat is managing ok but I am very tired. Every time I sleep I either get a massive gust or big lull so short lived. Was a tough day yesterday without a full functioning auto pilot in 30-35 knot downwind conditions but am now up and running properly. Conditions are still very warm but very wet as you would expect. My skin is developing a rash from salt and sweat exposure but apart from lack of sleep I am just fine.”
In order to break the record, Alex will have to arrive at Lizard Point before 20.04 on July 27th. His estimated route at the moment sits at 3,100 miles in total, which would then leave 1,600 to go. Working on this assumption he would have to travel at an average of 10.2 knots to get there in time to braek the record.
At the moment he is predicting an average of 11.11knots speed which would have him in at 0700 on the 27th July – ahead of the current record by 13 hours and 04 minutes!
But, there is never any certainty when it comes to this type of thing – that is the only thing that is certain! Weather conditions, which even at the moment are quite complicated, can change, and as the problems with the pilot showed, there can always be unexpected issues that crop up.

#8 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

Do you think people give a fuck enough to make it to 2 pages? Not looking too good you useless Cowes fuck. Which one were you? There were so many lazy fucks when I was there and three days left sums it up on a one day job....

#9 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

So I go to the website and there is just a dot on a Google Map. No relation to the existing record at all or any update. So here we have a multi million pound program with lots of useless people and yet they can't keep it updated. Just as well no one gives a fuck

#10 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

I have no dog in this fight, but it is a definite example of a poorly promoted attempt on a record. ATR is usually pretty good with social media but this seems to have been handed over to the intern to handle.
I just checked the Facebook page and it has not been updated for 16 hours and counting! Don't go to websites anymore but the least you would expect is a comparison of progress on the tracker.

#11 dumper

dumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

yeah, they really screwed this one up, i would usually be interested but this time i didnt even know that he was going for the record. I would really like to see alex get the record but because of the poor advertisement, i cant see if he breaks the record or not.

#12 the truth.

the truth.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

Increase in media output last2 days.....

"I only need to keep sailing at an average of 5.3 knots to beat the record. I am still to the east of the front but have slowed to 12 knots and that feels like crawling pace after the last 6.5 days. This mornign I gybed across the front to get into 15-20 Northerly winds. A bit of a shock as it feels a bit colder and I have pretty much been wearing shorts since the start and only got my sleeping bag out last night!

Unfortunately it is not plain sailing to the finish, those Northerly winds will die off and I will spend some of Wed and Thursday going very slowly, literally crawling to the finish. The routing gives me a finish time of 1700 on Thursday which would knock 26 hours off the record. I suspect it may be later than that, it always is!

The good news is the later it gets the more the wind picks up so I am getting confident of doing it now.

Amazing to think I have held on to this same piece of weather since leaving New York 2,600Nm ago. It has been thick fog for the last 24 hours and I am looking forward to the sun I can see on the forecsts that is finally shinning on the UK!"

#13 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Interests:Custom Plastic Injection Molding
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Mac Gregor 65' Lean Machine
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Awesome job staying in front of the weather system and keeping the boat together.

#14 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Answering a few previous questions may help you get to 2 pages but I seriously doubt it.

Increase in media output last2 days.....

"I only need to keep sailing at an average of 5.3 knots to beat the record. I am still to the east of the front but have slowed to 12 knots and that feels like crawling pace after the last 6.5 days. This mornign I gybed across the front to get into 15-20 Northerly winds. A bit of a shock as it feels a bit colder and I have pretty much been wearing shorts since the start and only got my sleeping bag out last night!

Unfortunately it is not plain sailing to the finish, those Northerly winds will die off and I will spend some of Wed and Thursday going very slowly, literally crawling to the finish. The routing gives me a finish time of 1700 on Thursday which would knock 26 hours off the record. I suspect it may be later than that, it always is!

The good news is the later it gets the more the wind picks up so I am getting confident of doing it now.

Amazing to think I have held on to this same piece of weather since leaving New York 2,600Nm ago. It has been thick fog for the last 24 hours and I am looking forward to the sun I can see on the forecsts that is finally shinning on the UK!"

#15 the truth.

the truth.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

[quote name='thetruth' timestamp='1343201021' post='3799786']
Answering a few previous questions may help you get to 2 pages but I seriously doubt it.

:rolleyes:
You're on the Dole, you're on the dole!

#16 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Where is he now?

#17 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Nine days ago, on Tuesday 17th July Alex set off from New York to attempt to break the West to East transatlantic single handed record which has stood at 10 days, 55 minutes and 19 seconds for 10 years.

This morning Alex has just 110Nm to go!!!

Alex's report from the boat this morning:

"ETA could be as early as 1700BST today. The light wind patch proved to be smaller than forecast and now the wind is more in the north, so I am currently tight reaching. Wind could easily go back to the Northeast but I can see the live data at the Scilly Isles which are only 6 hours away and I am hopeful the breeze will just increase. Lots of shipping and fishing boats around to keep me worried and awake.

It would be really nice if I could finish before 1909 GMT and bring the record into the single digits, that’s what I am pushing for now.

First sunrise this morning for many days, in fact first sun for many days and I am looking forward to the finish."

#18 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Latest report @ 11:30 BST. 65 nautical miles to go...

65nm to go - good speeds, latest ETA around 18.00. Technical & media team preparing for Alex's arrival in Falmouth #IMOCA60 #recordbreaking

#19 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

He's FINISHED - Alex crossed the finish line at 18:17 BST setting a new record of 8 days, 22 hours and 8 minutes, beating the previous record by more than 26 hours!

Alex said: “It has been a long few days. The first half from New York was great with weather conditions in our favour, but things started to slow down the closer I got. But the wind has held out and it’s so fantastic to have broken this record.”

Posted Image

#20 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Congratulations Alex.

Need more media on this.

#21 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

well done to all on ATR!

#22 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Unfortunate timing with the Olympics causing the mainstream media to be focussed on that instead of some pommy bloke sailing a pretty boat across the ocean.

Thanks to 'The Truth' for not giving enough of a fuck to keep posting on this to keep it near the top.

Congrats to ATR

#23 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

Good on yah Ohf Shore. Always give credit where credit is due so well done AT.

Unfortunate timing with the Olympics causing the mainstream media to be focussed on that instead of some pommy bloke sailing a pretty boat across the ocean.

Thanks to 'The Truth' for not giving enough of a fuck to keep posting on this to keep it near the top.

Congrats to ATR

#24 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • Interests:sea and snow and ice

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Grate effort, Alex

#25 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,181 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Excellent effort. Congrats to a job well done.

#26 pixie fishmonkey

pixie fishmonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Well done ATR. A top achievement and good luck for the Vendee Globe

#27 Serge A. Storms

Serge A. Storms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Well done ATR. A top achievement and good luck for the Vendee Globe

Not to sound like a smart-ass but I think the notable part is that he and the boat both completed the event for once....

#28 SailingSG

SailingSG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Cycling, Diving, Sailing, eating, sail boats

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I just saw Hugo Boss in Singapore on Sunday. Sails down in a little space between islands, then sails up a few hours later, doing 6 or 8 kts in maybe 5kts true.

#29 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

I think that is the old Juan K (ex Pindar), the Farr (ex Estrella Damm/BT/Veolia) is the Hugo Boss for the next Vendee Globe, whilst the Finot (ex Hugo boss?) is in Gosport and was out doing corporate work during Cowes Week.
They work very hard at the corporate/marketing.

#30 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,181 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

I think that is the old Juan K (ex Pindar), the Farr (ex Estrella Damm/BT/Veolia) is the Hugo Boss for the next Vendee Globe, whilst the Finot (ex Hugo boss?) is in Gosport and was out doing corporate work during Cowes Week.
They work very hard at the corporate/marketing.

Yup, that is the one. Jesse Rowse is helming that one, the old Pindar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users